Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerald Winters and Son, the new bookstore in Bangor

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

The reason I say anything is because this is a thread that allows me to.
    I stated my feelings based on things I’ve read here and elsewhere.
    I have no doubt he’s a great guy, great for him.
    I’m not the one offering to sell dirt for my “items that were destroyed”
    Let’s see them,
    I’m a doubting Thomas, always have been. Yes, I freely admit that.
    But I’m also not one to catch fish hooks in my lip either.
    Just because someone post something on social media doesn’t make it so.
    So what, I asked for visual proof.. big deal.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    The reason I say anything is because this is a thread that allows me to.
    I stated my feelings based on things I’ve read here and elsewhere.
    I have no doubt he’s a great guy, great for him.
    Let’s see them,
    I’m a doubting Thomas, always have been. Yes, I freely admit that.
    But I’m also not one to catch fish hooks in my lip either.
    Just because someone post something on social media doesn’t make it so.
    There were links to newspaper articles about it in more then one thread. Clicking on those links would have given you all the info you need to know about his loses, before implying he is drumming up false sympathy.

Having said that, not fond of the dirt thing. I shake my head when I hear about this kind of "memorabilia"

Also, I agree, I would like to see a list of the high ticket items lost. Not from a standpoint of "I don't believe him", but from a standpoint that I would like to know what the collecting community has lost. I mean in addition to him losing the ability to sell (or own), we have lost the ability to buy them. He is under no obligation to release such information, and we should respect his right to accept this loss in his time. But I hope he does release this info eventually, just the same.

BTW, just curious if anyone has tried to keep track of known SK limited editions that have been destroyed?
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

You are asking for visual proof.
    Well we have seen images of the burst pipes, images of the owner in the basement, images of saturated boxes and images of dirt, what more do you want?
    Oh I get it now, no images of valuable or rare books. Well you can't have everything can you!

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Then call (207.922.2062) or email (gw@geraldwinters.com) Gerald and ask him for the proof yourself.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Then call (207.922.2062) or email (gw@geraldwinters.com) Gerald and ask him for the proof yourself.
    Lets all just take a chill pill, there's really no need to keep going on with this, If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Let’s see them,
    I’m a doubting Thomas...
    This doesn't make you a doubting Thomas; it makes you an asshole.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Let’s see them,
    I’m a doubting Thomas...
    Calling Cook an asshole doesn't violate site rules, but IMO, you lowered yourself.

FWIW, I too have been a doubting Thomas (asshole?) On the whole issue.

I've avoided saying my opinions, mostly to allow members to guide the thread.

I defend Cook's right to be a doubting Thomas, and I defend (but disagree with you ) your right to call him or anyone else an asshole.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Let’s see them,
    I’m a doubting Thomas...
    Calling Cook an asshole doesn't violate site rules, but IMO, you lowered yourself.

I'm comfortable siding with the passionate King fan/collector/store owner who got driven away from your site by Cook's bullshit, but hey, maybe that's just me - you do you.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think a comment like that is highly inappropriate on this site. Just my two cents.

John

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I think a comment like that is highly inappropriate on this site. Just my two cents.

John
    Mine or Cook's?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Let’s see them,
    I’m a doubting Thomas...

FWIW, I too have been a doubting Thomas (asshole?) On the whole issue.

I've avoided saying my opinions, mostly to allow members to guide the thread.

I defend Cook's right to be a doubting Thomas, and I defend (but disagree with you ) your right to call him or anyone else an asshole.
    Let’s see them,
    I’m a doubting Thomas...

I'm comfortable siding with the passionate King fan/collector/store owner who got driven away from your site by Cook's bullshit, but hey, maybe that's just me - you do you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    I don't even have an opinion on this subject. How's that for "shit you don't see every day"? lol lol lol

Spoiler:
    Not taking sides or passing judgement, but I'm not sure how I feel finding out I'm not the only "Asshole" running around here!! lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

St Troy's. It's okay to think it, but...

John

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Cook +1

Those with rare and large questions would like to know what has been lost to the collecting world. It could/would have an impact on the value of their own collection. Did 3 Asbestos Firestarters get destroyed? How about the 3-4 copies of NLR? What about the UK Green Mile proofs? Did the damage from the water main break completely obliterate 2,000 books? Obliterate them to the point where the guy needs to sell dirt?

For all the White Knights here, I see two sides. A side that seems genuine and has been a net positive to this community. But I also see a thin-skinned person who shares when the he sees the advantage to do so. Tippy4 made a comment/offered an opinion about an ebay auction where Gerald was offering a rare, but incomplete NLR set. Gerald got so upset that he pulled the auction because of the comment. That's what he said publicly. He actually sold it to a member here at the same time or before Tippy4's post. I believe Rabbit Trick set him off, too, for little or no good reason.

I stand behind my statements above and earlier. I feel sorry for the man -- just not to the level that others are. He has at least 2 legal courses to recoup his losses. I hope he's pursuing them as vigorously as he is selling the dirt.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd be interested in knowing what got destroyed just to have a record. Same way I'd love to know if it's true or an urban legend that a Firestarter Lettered got destroyed in a fire, or Dolan's story on the incredible collection present in a building that got fire in NYC.

Don't we have a "DT S/L number, who's got 'em?" thread and a catalog with details with all this kind of info?

I understand Cook's doubts, even when I don't share 'em (I'd not buy dirt but I find it funny and cool if he can raise money by selling it). I've dealt with Gerald very few times and find myself very comfortable talking to him. I don't have reasons to doubt him, but some of his previous posts sounded like they had a little "make up", such as the Thinner new copies or IT new copies posts. But it's his store, his social media accounts, and he can do whatever he wants with 'em. And I really would love to visit his store next time I travel to Bangor (if that ever happens again, which I think it will )

And I agree with John. No need to call someone an asshole for having doubts and posting 'em here. It's just a discussion amount adults.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Yeehaw

If nothing else, at least I can savor the amusement of watching the TDT wagons circle.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Please provide proof that Gerald was "driven away" from "my site" (BTW, of course it's my site, but I do my best to treat it as a member's site) by Cook.

Why don't you search Gerald's posts here? No where have I seen a post from him being upset with his treatment here.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

If nothing else, at least I can savor the amusement of watching the TDT wagons circle.
    See, we are a value added site.
    Feel free to donate next year to keep the site robust and ad free, yet full of amusement.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Feel free to donate next year to keep the site robust and ad free, yet full of amusement.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Randall Flagg again.
    Well dammit I tried!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Please provide proof that Gerald was "driven away" from "my site"...
    Ah, so I am responsible for providing proof for my positions - got it.

Of course, I have none; I was just going by this:

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    ...Supposedly he does not post here any longer due to the "tone and tenor" of people on this site.
    ...but sure, maybe everyone is lying to us.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

If this was an attempt to call me out for not donating, I'll be up front about it: no, I didn't donate. Yes, you have a great site and I appreciate what you and others put into it. My position is such that, while I do buy a book now and again, I won't be paying to support any websites any time soon (it does not reflect on any bad feeling toward the site etc.).

My Mood
    Yeehaw

In order to be as accurate as possible, I'll mention I just found this:

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    ^ Gerald, no longer posts here due to the tone and tenor of folks here in his opinion I've been advised.
    ...so this is actually the "source material," as it is.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In order to be as accurate as possible, I'll mention I just found this:

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    ^ Gerald, no longer posts here due to the tone and tenor of folks here in his opinion I've been advised.
    ...so this is actually the "source material," as it is.

Bill could have been referring to post #81 in this thread. ..........I dunno.....

My Mood
    Yeehaw

For those that haven't seen this (which webstar1000 originally posted), this is from Gerald's Facebook:

For as long as I could pray that by some miracle, in a hidden corner of the basement, there existed a magical alcove that would protect the seventh, and last, Stephen King manuscript, sadly that was not the case.

Now that the space has been completely cleared and sanitized, ready for the rebuild, there is not one square inch that has yet to be examined. The one manuscript that did not survive was Steve’s 1973 short story “TRUCKS”, which was the basis for his 1986 directorial debut “MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE”.

I was happy that I could count it among my collection of Steve’s works for many years, and if there was any place that I wish it could be laid to rest, it would be in Bangor, where it was created, just before Steve published “CARRIE”.

As a little side-note on the crippling effects of water on paper, I would like to share with you a few things I learned during this ordeal. In a typical suburban home, your water pressure is set to a range between 40 and 60 psi. That’s a comfortable level. If you ever stood under a shower at 80 psi, you would certainly know it, because your skin would start to feel like it was being attacked with hundreds of acupuncture needles. Exceed 100 psi, and your body and appliances would start to understand what high pressure feels like.

When a water main pipe bursts, it exceeds over 200 psi+, and anything in its direct path, will be forever altered. You can cut a 3 foot tree in half with a water spray set to that level. Paper has no chance of surviving. I found hard covers floating, with the glue stripped off the spines. Cardboard boxes in the direct path became mulch, and everything inside became a simple glob, that was indistinguishable from each other.

The archival box that was designed to survive an earthquake was torn open and all its contents floated around a 1200 sq ft swimming pool for seven hours. When the water was finally turned off, I had to wait a day before I could even investigate as I needed electricians to determine it was safe to be down there.
    After first finding the lid to the manuscript box, the entire area was photographed extensively to try and locate any papers that could have belonged to it. A total of 5 pages were located a few hours later, but mostly all ink had been stripped off the paper at that stage. A few key words were all that remained to determine it was the first draft and respective screenplay, and that was it.
    When the papers were carefully removed to be sent away for possible salvage, I scooped up all the mud, dirt, papers, and anything else that was in the vicinity of the manuscript, for future archival purposes. If I ever thought I would be scooping up sand and mud and storing them in buckets, I would have laughed, but that’s what I did. The manuscript was gone, but the destruction remained.My first thought was to create a new window display in the coming months, to seal the moment for history, and I may still do that. While I was cleaning up the shop, a lovely couple from down South was up visiting Bangor, and asked me could they buy some of the dirt. I was dumbfounded, as I couldn’t understand why someone would buy dirt, but then again, I know some people sell sweat, and even air, so I guess anything is possible.

I couldn’t sell her my dirt because the request was the first I had ever heard, but after I thought about it a bit more, allowing fans of Stephen King a chance to own the dirt that destroyed a manuscript, and even possibly having a part of the manuscript contained within, may be something that people would want. To me it was a sad remnant of a horrible day, but to people around the world, maybe a piece of the Derry Flood of 2018 is something that would appeal to them. Maybe they will feel like they have a connection, even if they have never visited.
    So, I am going to be bottling it in a limited number of test tubes, corking it, packaging it with a little story and photo, and selling it for a nominal price in the coming months. That’s right, I moved to Bangor to sell books, but that plan will be augmented with a little piece of Derry manuscript dirt in the near future. While I didn’t want to ask people to send me money when the flood occurred, as I didn’t feel comfortable with that, if you would like to help me out, and have a little souvenir in the process, please buy my dirt.

God Bless.
    Gerald
    There are pics at the link that I don't know how to copy here:

https://www.facebook.com/GWandSonBoo...00302650151279

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

As blind as I am, I don't see where post #81 in this thread intimates that Cook has driven Gerald away from the site.
    Post #81 shows Gerald as thin skinned about anyone who questions his auctions or sales makes him upset.

Quote Originally Posted by neo_trinity
    Last option, open up a brick & mortar bookstore in 2017 or later, and try your luck there.
    Well, Gerald opened up the store, and tried his luck.

Perhaps he is unlucky.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Cook. You must not worry. Everyone has one. Some are just bigger than others. I enjoy reading your posts and value your contributions to the site😍. You are 1 of my favorites. I don’t know how to send positive rep but I will do so by dmoji😘💕😍❤️❤️😍😍😘🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡💀

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast