Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 145 of 388 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135 143 144 145 146 147 155 195 245 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,625 of 9676

Thread: Current Market Value-Experts assess yours, or other's collectible King item

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    Goofing around with the wayback machine, and based on this cached page (LINK) it looks like the originally announced price was $350.
    Wow - the price doesn't amaze me as much as the time.

I'm surprised it came out 10 years ago. Right about then is when the shift in SK s/ls began to happen, and the market got a little overhyped.

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

Recommended purchase price for a signed copy of REVIVAL? Several different numbers out there.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mkberger View Post
    Recommended purchase price for a signed copy of REVIVAL? Several different numbers out there.
    Given the number of signings out there, I think below $200 would be in order. It won't be scarce.

John

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

There's one in the Classified thread for $225 shipped. Based on a quick ebay scan of available books, $200-250 seems to be a good deal.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

One just sold on Ebay 15 minutes ago for $250 plus shipping.

When the excitement blows over $175-200 will be a good value for a while.

JMO

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Citizen of Gilead OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom is a glorious beacon of light OneFathom's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm selling a group of early Doubleday firsts. I've listed a BIN @ $1,200. Wanted to know if this is a reasonable price. Or perhaps I should just hold onto them for now? Night Shift isn't in great shape, but the rest are decent, The Stand, especially.

The link is in my sig below...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a good place to start. You can always lower it later if you wish.

Gunslinger Apprentice TrueNorth will become famous soon enough TrueNorth will become famous soon enough TrueNorth's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

These are original pages of the Plant Part II from the Master Proof Copies. It was originally sold by Stuart of Bett's for $1100. I have no idea what this unique 13 page package is worth. I am thinking $2000-$2500....am I out to lunch on this? I have seen a set for sale before.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Too expensive for me, but I think that would be a fair price.

John

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

The "master proof copies" of The Plant are on much longer pages and clearly labelled as such. I have posted pictures of these somewhere on this site in the past. I think there were at least three sets of master proofs for each of the three volumes. I don't see anything like that in the pictures so I wonder if these have been removed from the original offering. Also, I don't see any corrections in the pictures that I could definitely say are in King's hand. Perhaps you could post some more pictures?

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was curious as to the value of something I haven't been able to locate on the site. I have a newspaper insert called the Weekend Australian dated January 14-15, 2006 which has the "world's first publication" of Stephen King's "Sword in the Darkness." The cover is a reddish, orange with a close up of Stephen King's face and the newspaper insert is titled "The Review." I also have part Two on the story which was published in the January 21-22, 2006 edition of the Weekend Australian. I'll post photos when my account is authorized to do so. Thanks in advance for the help.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jcmanske View Post
    I was curious as to the value of something I haven't been able to locate on the site. I have a newspaper insert called the Weekend Australian dated January 14-15, 2006 which has the "world's first publication" of Stephen King's "Sword in the Darkness." The cover is a reddish, orange with a close up of Stephen King's face and the newspaper insert is titled "The Review." I also have part Two on the story which was published in the January 21-22, 2006 edition of the Weekend Australian. I'll post photos when my account is authorized to do so. Thanks in advance for the help.
    The Sword in the Darkness is an unpublished SK novel. Rocky Wood published a chapter in Stephen King: Uncollected, Unpublished. I have no idea what a Australian newspaper insert would be worth. It is definitely worth something though. It sound rather unique. What exactly does it contain? It can't possibly be the whole novel.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I'm pretty sure it's the same material published in Rocky's book. It was split into two issues of the Weekend Australian. What you have is the second part. Overlook Connection is selling both magazines for about $50.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jcmanske View Post
    It was published after "Stephen King: Uncollected, Unpublished", by Rocky Wood (December 2005)

2nd Printing. As “Sword in the Darkness” in The Weekend Australian [newspaper; Sydney, Australia] Part 1 (January 14-15, 2006): R4, R5, R6, R8.
    Part 2 (January 21-22, 2006): R16, R17. Note: This was published in the “Review” section of the newspaper.

I can't think of why anybody would want the second printing, so I'd say it's not worth any more than the cover price.

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks guys! Good to know. I really wasn't looking to sell it--just curious as to what it might be worth. Thanks for letting me know where it was first published and the background information. It was a more of a curiosity since I couldn't find anything about it anywhere.

Gunslinger Apprentice TrueNorth will become famous soon enough TrueNorth will become famous soon enough TrueNorth's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    The "master proof copies" of The Plant are on much longer pages and clearly labelled as such. I have posted pictures of these somewhere on this site in the past. I think there were at least three sets of master proofs for each of the three volumes. I don't see anything like that in the pictures so I wonder if these have been removed from the original offering. Also, I don't see any corrections in the pictures that I could definitely say are in King's hand. Perhaps you could post some more pictures?
    Here are a few more photos with a brief description of what I have. Sun sets early so not the best lighting.

The larger are 8.5" x 11" and are double spaced and have colored corrections. The smaller are 8.25" x 9". These are printed old school 'letterpress' They have a hole drilled in the top right corner.
    Here is the same page seen on both formats:

I have 5 pages of the letterpress, one has a correction to the page number:

I have 8 pages of the larger double spaced sheets. Most have corrections on them:

A letter of description written by Bett's. In it Stu says SK signed many of the pages. My guess is he included the loose signature as these pages didn't. There was a brass plate included:

Lastly as I was putting everything back in the plastic bag I saw the back of the price tag:

If this isn't a master proof copy, I am at a loss to know what it is. I thought the printers/publishers thought of away to profit so they sold it off in parts.
    Look forward to hearing from anyone that might know....thanks!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

The galley proofs were done on long sheets of paper. There were four sets done for each of the three parts. One set of each part is stamped "Master Proof" at the bottom of each page. Here are some photos of the galley proofs. I don't see any of these in your photos.

Next are a couple of pages from King's original submitted manuscript for Part 1. Original typed pages with corrections in King's hand.

It looks like you have some typed manuscript pages but I can't tell from the photo if they are originals or photocopies. I don't see any corrections that appear typical for King's hand corrections but I could be wrong. The pages with the holes punched in them are pages from the latter stages of production that were proofed and found to contain errors. They were pulled out and corrections made. I think that each of these Plant books was heavily proofed and reproofed. I have seen many such pages from varying stages of production.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Once again, Bob, amazing!

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

Those are quite impressive Bob! Do you own a set for all 3 parts?

Country
    Country Flag

Bob, I totally see why you wrote what you wrote, thanks for shedding more light unto the subject. Now I am totally in the dark LOL.

Is this possible...
    The corrections were made on the galley proofs (you have) and handed back to the printers where they took it to the next level (which I have). Mine show the font choices, new paragraphs and further spelling corrections. Did your copy have anything like font choice by color page as mine does? After this Philtrum set type and took it to the next level making the letterpress copies and the proofing continued.

Or is this possible?
    Your galley copy was made from the double spaced sheets I have? My sheets are pretty crude and look like working copies.
    I would love to see the same pages I have from Part II to compare.

I called Philtrum Press but their line is always busy
    Thanks again,
    Foster

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post

Is this possible...
    The corrections were made on the galley proofs (you have) and handed back to the printers where they took it to the next level (which I have). Mine show the font choices, new paragraphs and further spelling corrections. Did your copy have anything like font choice by color page as mine does? After this Philtrum set type and took it to the next level making the letterpress copies and the proofing continued.

Or is this possible?
    Your galley copy was made from the double spaced sheets I have? My sheets are pretty crude and look like working copies.
    I would love to see the same pages I have from Part II to compare.
    I am as much in the dark as you are when it comes to the process of making a printed book from a manuscript. I know only the basics of the process and would gladly stand corrected if I am wrong. King's typed manuscript is the earliest form which probably goes through corrections and revisions before being sent off to make the galley proofs. The galley proofs are proofed and corrected by at least three people (hence the need for multiple copies). At some point the spacing, font size etc. must be decided upon and pages that begin to ultimately resemble the finished product are generated.

I have lots of this stuff in my collection. I have the red stamped "Master Proof" for all three sets as well as regular galley proofs for a couple of the others. I've got King's corrected typed manuscript for Part 1. And I've got a smattering of loose pages with the holes punched in them with corrections and photocopied typed manuscript pages with corrections. Where these latter items fall sequentially in the process is unknown to me.

Honestly I don't see high dollar value in the items you have posted. If the double spaced typed manuscript pages are original and not photocopies then that is where the money could be. Original manuscript material from King is very desirable. If they are photocopies then not so much.

Country
    Country Flag

If the double spaced typed manuscript pages are original and not photocopies then that is where the money could be. Original manuscript material from King is very desirable. If they are photocopies then not so much.[/QUOTE]

I agree, if they are copies, start the fireplace with them....well maybe save the signature. I have just retired from a lifetime in/around the printing industry. Today I will drop by some pros I know in the industry and ask them if the corrections are copies or originals. I'll let you know what they said.

Country
    Country Flag

Bob you got my juices going with this one. I just got back from seeing two different business that are in the printing trade (65 years combined experience). BOTH said these are original typewritten copies and the color markings were done by pen. One said he would testify in court they are not jet or laser printed. The other said looks like an electric typewriter was used. The smaller proofs are 100% letterpress from the same early 1980s vintage. He was impressed by the quality, but that was Philrum Press wasn't it.

I just emailed Stu and asked him what he recalls about these. About 10 months ago I had written Bett's new owner David but he wasn't familiar with them.
    I hope you don't feel I was trying to pull a fast one. Like Johnny said 'All I want is the truth'

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    I hope you don't feel I was trying to pull a fast one.
    No, I didn't think that at all. I was just trying to answer your questions using items from my own collection as examples. I certainly don't have all the answers either and have the same questions about some of the items in my collection too.

Now, if you have original typed manuscript pages with original handwritten corrections, the question becomes "Are the corrections actually done by King?" If they are that would likely add to their value.

Country
    Country Flag

I just heard from Stu and based on where he got it from I think this should remove any doubts.
    His email...

Hi Foster,

I am shocked to hear about Marty! Penney and I talk about him often and we keep saying we should get in touch with him, but now it's too late. I'd love to see the picture you have of him, he was such a great guy. Do you know what happened to him?

The Plant items you have came directly from Michael Alpert who designed the book for Stephen King. It was designated by him as the master proof copy and I would accept his designation over anyone else. Michael also designed "Six Stories" an "The Ideal Genuine Man" for Steve.

Stu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 145 of 388 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135 143 144 145 146 147 155 195 245 ... LastLast