Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2016 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Official 2016 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

You have until showtime on February 28, 2016.

This is the seventh year I'm running the Oscar contest. Last year was the first year that Heather didn't win (congrats once again to T-Dogz) so I'm sure she will be out for blood this time around. We had a great turnout last year (11) I'd like to see that again, or maybe even add some contestants.

IMPORTANT: Don't forget the tie breaker. It's simple: Basically, everybody will submit their choices like usual, except they will also add which film they think will win the most Oscars and give a number. In case of a tie, who ever has the closest number without going over is the winner.

Predictions have to be in by showtime, so there is no rush to post them. We still have some time before Oscar night. I myself will be waiting for the last possible moment to post my predictions. I still have films to watch, buzz to follow and articles to read.

Remember, these are just educated guesses. None of us have seen every film nominated and I doubt if anybody has seen any of the documentary short subject nominees. Just make an educated guess. Or an uneducated guess.

BEST PICTURE

The Big Short
    Bridge of Spies
    Brooklyn
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    The Martian
    The Revenant
    Room
    Spotlight

BEST ACTOR

Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
    Matt Damon, The Martian
    Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
    Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
    Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett, Carol
    Brie Larson, Room
    Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
    Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
    Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Christian Bale, The Big Short
    Tom Hardy, The Revenant
    Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
    Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
    Sylvester Stallone, Creed

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
    Rooney Mara, Carol
    Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
    Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
    Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

DIRECTING

Adam McKay - The Big Short
    George Miller - Mad Max: Fury Road
    Alejandro G. Iñárritu - The Revenant
    Lenny Abrahamson - Room
    Tom McCarthy - Spotlight

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Anomalisa
    Boy and the World
    Inside Out
    Shaun the Sheep Movie
    When Marnie Was There

COSTUME DESIGN

Carol
    Cinderella
    The Danish Girl
    The Revenant

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Amy
    Cartel Land
    The Look of Silence
    What Happened, Miss Simone?
    Winter on Fire

DOCUMENTARY SHORT

Body Team
    Chau, Beyond the Lines
    Claude Lanzmann
    A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness
    Last Day of Freedom

MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
    The Revenant

ORIGINAL SONG

"Earned It" - Fifty Shades of Grey
    "Manta Ray" - Racing Extinction
    "Simple Song #3" - Youth
    "Til It Happens to You" - The Hunting Ground
    "Writing's on the Wall" - Spectre

ANIMATED SHORT

Bear Story
    Prologue
    Sanjay's Super Team
    We Can't Live Without Cosmos
    World of Tomorrow

SOUND EDITING

Sicario
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    The Martian
    The Revenant

SOUND MIXING

Bridge of Spies
    The Martian
    The Revenant

FILM EDITING

The Big Short
    The Revenant
    Spotlight

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Embrace of the Serpent
    Mustang
    Son of Saul
    Theeb
    A War

ORIGINAL SCORE

Bridge of Spies
    Carol
    The Hateful Eight
    Sicario

PRODUCTION DESIGN

Bridge of Spies
    The Danish Girl
    The Martian
    The Revenant

VISUAL EFFECTS

Ex Machina
    The Martian
    The Revenant

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Big Short
    Brooklyn
    Carol
    The Martian
    Room

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Bridge of Spies
    Ex Machina
    Inside Out
    Spotlight
    Straight Outta Compton

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Carol
    The Hateful Eight
    The Revenant
    Sicario

LIVE ACTION SHORT

Ave Maria
    Day One
    Everything Will Be Okay
    Shok
    Stutterer

Past results:

2010 results
    Heather - 15
    Servant - 14
    Turtlex - 14
    Cody - 8
    Seymour - 8
    Odetta - 4

2011 results
    Heather - 17
    Servant - 15
    Path - 14
    Mattrick - 14
    Ricky - 12
    Merlin - 11
    Feev - 8

2012 results
    Servant - 14
    Heather - 14
    Ricky - 14
    Stockerlone - 12
    Shannon - 11
    Thorin- 10
    Mattrick - 9
    Feev - 8
    Garrell - 8
    Odetta - 5
    Mystima - 4

2013 results
    Heather - 20
    Servant - 17
    Ricky - 15
    Matt - 14
    Stockerlone - 13
    Feev - 12
    Pablo - 10

2014 results
    Heather - 22
    Ricky - 20
    Servant - 19
    Randall - 16
    Pablo - 13
    Matt - 10
    Mystima - 10
    Merlin - 7
    Stockerlone - 6

2015 results
    T-Dogz - 20
    George Monkey - 19
    Lurker - 19
    Ricky - 18
    Servant - 17
    Feev - 17
    Heather - 15
    Shannon - 15
    Pablo - 13
    Stocker - 9
    Matt - 6
    Last edited by Still Servant; 01-21-2016 at 05:30 PM.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Let's kick the thread off with a list of everybody's Oscar frontrunners. Here are a few of mine:

The Hateful Eight
    Carol
    The Danish Girl
    Sicario
    Bridge of Spies
    The Revenant
    Black Mass

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Isn't it premature to call those front runners since they haven't even been released yet?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I can't even begin to start thinking about Oscar season yet. Way too early. It's like stores putting out Christmas decorations in September.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I barely know any of the films coming out. Once mid-October hits I'll get into the swing of things.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just give Leo a damn award and I'll be happy, lol.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Isn't it premature to call those front runners since they haven't even been released yet?
    No. It's never premature to talk Oscars. Actually, there are already numerous articles talking about films that may be Oscar contenders including pieces in magazines like The Hollywood Reporter and Entertainment Weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Yeah, I can't even begin to start thinking about Oscar season yet. Way too early. It's like stores putting out Christmas decorations in September.
    Pablo asked and he received. Whether we like it or not, there will be movies released in September and October that will be featured come Oscar night. This thread will be here when people are ready to talk about it. It's the Girl Scout motto - be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Just give Leo a damn award and I'll be happy, lol.
    I do not have that kind of power.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

"Wolf of Wall Street" and "Mad Max"!!!!

Spoiler:
    Oops, did I say that out loud? LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I really wish they would release Oscar contenders throughout the year. I really hate that we get bombarded with them just a month or two before (or sometimes not until after) the awards.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Pablo asked and he received.
    Can I have a million dollars?

It's very hard now to see which movies will be nominated but certain generalities are probably already doable. For Best Picture, my 10-title list at this point would look something like this:
    1. Beasts of No Nation
    2. Bridge of Spies
    3. Brooklyn
    4. Carol
    5. The Danish Girl
    6. The Hateful Eight
    7. Mad Max: Fury Road
    8. The Revenant
    9. Steve Jobs
    10. Spotlight

Several others could definitely make it too, but I'm okay with this list for now. Inside Out could potentially be there. Maybe also Joy, but it looks exceedingly hollow and epitomizes Oscar bait. I'm fairly certain Fury Road will make it, if it's ten nominees. Probably not, if it's eight. Or Straight Outta Compton could be in its place. And Sicario could be a surprise, can't wait to see it next weekend. One smaller film that could be in the conversation is 45 Years, which is getting great reviews and buzz. Plus there's Room, Black Mass, Suffragette... Not to mention longshots like Trumbo or The End of the Tour.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

As much as I would love to see it happen, I doubt Mad Max will be nominated for anything other than technical categories.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As much as I would love to see it happen, I doubt Mad Max will be nominated for anything other than technical categories.
    Mad Max was great. I really hope that George does Man of Steel 2. I heard rumors... man he would kill it I think. Hottest action director out there right now... LOVE to see him do something iconic like Supe!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's very much a longshot but I'm hopeful. Depends on how many slots there are (what's the rule?) If Max is out then Inside Out is in. I still maintain Carol is the frontrunner right now.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I'm seeing Beasts of No Nations at TIFF on Sunday

My brother as been offered tickets and I'd never heard of it. Seeing Fukanaga's name was all I needed to know I want to see it.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Scratch that. Tickets were already claimed. Will end up seeing Family Fang on Monday instead, though I am not nearly as interested in it.

At least Beasts of No Nation is available on Netflix in October.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Mad Max was great. I really hope that George does Man of Steel 2. I heard rumors... man he would kill it I think. Hottest action director out there right now... LOVE to see him do something iconic like Supe!
    Did you know he was originally supposed to do a Justice League movie back in 2008?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Pablo asked and he received.
    Can I have a million dollars?

It's very hard now to see which movies will be nominated but certain generalities are probably already doable. For Best Picture, my 10-title list at this point would look something like this:
    1. Beasts of No Nation
    2. Bridge of Spies
    3. Brooklyn
    4. Carol
    5. The Danish Girl
    6. The Hateful Eight
    7. Mad Max: Fury Road
    8. The Revenant
    9. Steve Jobs
    10. Spotlight

Several others could definitely make it too, but I'm okay with this list for now. Inside Out could potentially be there. Maybe also Joy, but it looks exceedingly hollow and epitomizes Oscar bait. I'm fairly certain Fury Road will make it, if it's ten nominees. Probably not, if it's eight. Or Straight Outta Compton could be in its place. And Sicario could be a surprise, can't wait to see it next weekend. One smaller film that could be in the conversation is 45 Years, which is getting great reviews and buzz. Plus there's Room, Black Mass, Suffragette... Not to mention longshots like Trumbo or The End of the Tour.
    If I had a couple million bucks, I'd certainly share it with you. I'll let you know when I get it

I've seen a few articles that have Fury Road nominated for Best Picture. I would really love to see that. I would also like to see Inside Out get nominated.

I think the ones you picked are pretty spot on.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

My brother is trying to score TIFF tickets for The Martian, Scolari, Black Mass or The Event for me.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I agree. Did you ever get to pick up the DVD of "Fury Road", Kris? That "special features" DVD was really cool and interesting. They actually used very little CGI in the film. Amazing they didn't manage to kill any stunt men while making the movie. What that director could do with "MOS II" would surely be killer!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    My brother is trying to score TIFF tickets for The Martian, Scolari, Black Mass or The Event for me.
    You gotta get this done. That would be great.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I took some heat back in early September when I started this thread. People thought it was way too early to talk Oscar. Well, it's November and we are officially in Oscar season.

Oscar worthy films should slowly be making their way to a theater near you (maybe). So, what is everybody looking forward to? I really want to see Spotlight. It's in limited release right now. If you're interested in that kind of subject matter, I suggest watching a documentary called Deliver Us from Evil. It's fantastic.

I also want to see Secret in Their Eyes, even though I haven't seen the foreign film it's based on.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Spotlight is top of my list. That fuckin cast! Love that cast.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Spotlight is top of my list. That fuckin cast! Love that cast.
    The cast is insane. I will be shocked if it's not at least a decent film.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

All signs point to YES.

Country
    Country Flag

Very much looking forward to seeing the nominees for Best Animated Film, the submissions this year are pretty strong:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-sea...rs-121466.html

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences announced today that 16 animated features have been submitted for Oscar consideration in the 2015 feature category.

Here is the list of films, in alphabetical order:
    1. Anomalisa
    2. Home
    3. Hotel Transylvania 2
    4. Inside Out
    5. Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet
    6. Minions
    7. Moomins on the Riviera
    8. Regular Show: The Movie
    9. Shaun the Sheep Movie
    10. The Boy and the Beast
    11. The Boy and the World
    12. The Good Dinosaur
    13. The Laws of the Universe – Part 0
    14. The Peanuts Movie
    15. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of Water
    16. When Marnie Was There

Though all of these films have submitted their paperwork, several of the films have not yet fulfilled the Los Angeles theatrical release requirement that would allow them to advance in the voting process. Here’s why that matters: To have five nominees in the category, the Academy requires a minimum of 16 films to qualify. That means if one of these films doesn’t complete the qualification process, the entire field would drop down to 15 films, and the Academy rules would force them to scale back to just three nominees, rather than five.

That would be especially tough for the other films because it’s an extremely strong pack of contenders this year with much-admired films like Anomalisa, The Boy and the Beast, The Boy and the World, Inside Out, and Shaun the Sheep Movie contending for the prize. Other potential contenders like The Peanuts Movie and The Good Dinosaur haven’t even been released yet.

It’s also remarkable that so few films qualified this year considering that over 150 animated features were released theatrically around the globe this year. The number of submissions in the feature animation category represents a 20% drop-off from last year when 20 features were submitted.

The 88th Academy Awards nominations will be announced on Thursday, January 14, 2016.
    For me, the top five would probably be:
    • Anomalisa
    • Inside Out
    • The Prophet
    • The Boy and the World
    • When Marnie Was There

The Peanuts Movie hasn't opened yet, and I'm hoping it will be great, so it may be an honorable mention or even unseat one top five for me. I love Peanuts so I'm hoping this one is good. Moomins on the Riviera looks great, too.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast