i don't go by reviews or book covers if i did that i wouldn't read any SK at all cause the past few covers at least in the states have been fucking awful. that doesn't mean the books have been awful just the covers, yes with authors there are scenes that are stomach churning hell even King has done plenty in his time the book IT is the orgy scene with the kids is a fantastic example. but though i still haven't read firefly it is a WTF book of his and many others also have those kind of books as well.

but maybe Piers Anthony is a writer where you can read a good number of books in a row like his Xanth novels where some of them can blend together and all ya do is take a break. i watched just last night a review of the book Race against Time where that's a WTF book that he wrote in (1973) and it's i think his 12th book or something like that. i read that in high school and liked it up until the ending where it had a WTF ending. upon watching the review and remembering nothing from the book since i read it over 20 years ago. i do remember how it ended and nothing else, the book is awful and going by the review though the guy i watched who did a review of it was annoying as fuck but i was curious what his review of the book was and he went further into that book than i remember cause like i said i remember nothing about it but the ending so it had some kind of impact i guess..

i think it just depends on what book you pick up and your taste in authors maybe i dunno. i do wonder what he was thinking when he wrote certain books but than i can say the same about SK as well on certain books too.. both authors can be pretty offensive when they want to be. i've read online well back when IMDB had a board how racism SK is and i don't think the guy is at all.. now as for Anthony i dunno honestly if he is or not i don't think he is but than off the top of my head i can't remember if he's ever talked about racism either. with Anthony's Views of women reading his news letter off and on through the years and his authors notes i don't think he thinks women are the weaker sex either though in his books it may not seem he feels that way at times. but he has also written very strong female characters that are independent as well.

why he makes some of the males in his books think this or that i wish i knew. but it's only fiction anyways and i don't take any of his either author's stuff seriously i read them for fun and because i like the authors. well i'm a bit further in The Source of Magic now i'm on Chapter 8. i hope to read at least 2 chapters tonight and i'm even hoping to finish it by Tuesday night but i dunno if that's gonna happen or not it just depends on if i am in the book for reading that's all.

but i think writers also at times want to write a character so WTF so evil that they want to do something really different than they normally do and well Firefly is a really good example. some like it and some don't cause it's a WTF book like i've already said. but than you have in The Source of Magic where the males of the story go to a village that's only got women in it and they want to keep them in their village cause a siren keeps luring the guys who do show up there to her isle.

and they never come back. so at some point they go men. and so it's not just him writing Bink for example leaving his wife while she is preggers for an adventure it's also him writing how at times women say this or that about men as well.
now i think it's stupid that he did would write Bink Leaving for an adventure before his son was born. but than the book is almost 40 years old now and maybe his mindset was different back than i dunno.. either way he's a favorite author of mine