Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fix that film!! (A DT.org Exercise)

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Fix that film!! (A DT.org Exercise)

I thought about a thread like this a while ago, but with the release of Chappie it's now more timely than ever. The idea behind the thread is to choose a film and fix it.

I think it will be a lot of fun for all of us to chime in and give ideas on a certain film that could have made it better. Obviously, it's just for fun and none of us are saying we can make a film better than Hollywood. (For the record, I think if we collaborated we could make one hell of a film.)

We can fix any aspect of the film from the director, to the casting, to the plot and everything in between.

I envision a thread like this fizzling out eventually, but in the meantime, let's have a little fun. Obviously, there will be spoilers abound. Since I mentioned it above, the first film we will fix is Chappie.

Fix that film: Chappie
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Without taking casting problems into account, this:

Relegate the criminals to a chunk of the movie in the middle. Take out all the scenes about them and the guy they owe money to as they are unnecessary. Compartmentalize all the Chappie being taught to me a criminal stuff as just an example of how young minds can be manipulated. Take out the whole Yolanda is Chappie's mom thing since it was COMPLETELY unnecessary and added nothing to the plot or themes. Make Hugh Jackman a bigger character since he's both terrified and maligned by A.I., in contrast to the supreme, human A.I. Deon believes in. Also needs to be more questions asked on THE PURPOSE OF MACHINES BEING ABLE TO APPRECIATE ART etc, since really...wtf IS THE POINT? Why would someone want to create a robot like that? What purpose does it serve? Deon is also too placid and 'the good guy': the movie would be far more interesting if both Deon and Jackman were two sides of the same coin, one obsessed with the notion of being God and the other obsessed with preventing man becoming God. Also, I would totally redo the action at the end...the best part is at the very beginning and the rest was stagnant and emotionless (i.e. Amerika, the only actual actor in the criminal circuit and the one who actually felt human and is good in other movies/TV, was the only death that meant anything to me and the only one that was awesome). I would redo this movie from the ground up. Also, I WOULD HAVE SOMEONE TEACH CHAPPIE THAT TALKING IN THE THIRD PERSON IS FUCKING ANNOYING.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Without taking casting problems into account, this:

Relegate the criminals to a chunk of the movie in the middle. Take out all the scenes about them and the guy they owe money to as they are unnecessary. Compartmentalize all the Chappie being taught to me a criminal stuff as just an example of how young minds can be manipulated. Take out the whole Yolanda is Chappie's mom thing since it was COMPLETELY unnecessary and added nothing to the plot or themes. Make Hugh Jackman a bigger character since he's both terrified and maligned by A.I., in contrast to the supreme, human A.I. Deon believes in. Also needs to be more questions asked on THE PURPOSE OF MACHINES BEING ABLE TO APPRECIATE ART etc, since really...wtf IS THE POINT? Why would someone want to create a robot like that? What purpose does it serve? Deon is also too placid and 'the good guy': the movie would be far more interesting if both Deon and Jackman were two sides of the same coin, one obsessed with the notion of being God and the other obsessed with preventing man becoming God. Also, I would totally redo the action at the end...the best part is at the very beginning and the rest was stagnant and emotionless (i.e. Amerika, the only actual actor in the criminal circuit and the one who actually felt human and is good in other movies/TV, was the only death that meant anything to me and the only one that was awesome). I would redo this movie from the ground up. Also, I WOULD HAVE SOMEONE TEACH CHAPPIE THAT TALKING IN THE THIRD PERSON IS FUCKING ANNOYING.

And you are not directing the new "Alien" movie, why??
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

They didn't ask.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

They didn't ask.
    Need I say more?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Love it, love it, love it, Matt. I agree with everything you said except for the first person thing. I don't really care if Chappie talks in the first person, I just found it annoying when he started trying to sound like a thug with an annoying South African accent. That's what really did it for me.

Just to add to your changes, I would beef up Weaver's role. Her character was basically pointless. What I would have done is make her go after Deon and Chappie. She finds out that Deon has gone rogue and created an AI that is sentient. This is a big no-no that could potentially have massive ramifications, because of this Weaver orders a full on assault on Chappie and Deon using the Scouts. This is where the thugs could actually come into play in a more natural way. Deon ends up enlisting the help of the thugs to fight off the police.

The theme that ends up creeping into the film is a very timely one, and that is the little man taking on the tyrannical fist of the state. This is something that is in the news (in America at least) more and more. A police force that is becoming more and more powerful and seemingly taking that power out on the lower class. Think L.A. riots.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    They didn't ask.
    Need I say more?
    Yes, you should. You talk like I can't interpret passive-aggressive insults lol

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm gonna skip the Chappie comments, because I have yet to see it, and am still quite looking forward to it. However I will say that Star Wars could be improved with Han shooting first... just sayin' is all.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Do we just put another film for fixing? I say we make the title of the film(s) we're talking about in real big bold font in our posts, unless we're just sticking to Chappie until it's run it's course, to lesson people getting spoiled on a film.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Do we just put another film for fixing? I say we make the title of the film(s) we're talking about in real big bold font in our posts, unless we're just sticking to Chappie until it's run it's course, to lesson people getting spoiled on a film.

"to lesson people getting spoiled on a film." Herr Director, check your spelling? Your humble assistant.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Good idea about putting the name of the film we are talking about in bold of each post.

I think you and I are the only ones that have seen Chappie and we went pretty in depth in our posts, so we could move on to another film if somebody has one.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

"to lesson people getting spoiled on a film." Herr Director, check your spelling? Your humble assistant.
    Didn't I already tell you before I have a neurological disorder right now? I'm pretty prone to write the wrong word when two words sound the same, at the moment. It happens a lot. Please, inform me of every time I make such a mistake. Then I can let my doctor know how often such occurrences happen so we can monitor the rate of my recovery more effectively.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Didn't I already tell you before I have a neurological disorder right now? I'm pretty prone to write the wrong word when two words sound the same, at the moment. It happens a lot. Please, inform me of every time I make such a mistake. Then I can let my doctor know how often such occurrences happen so we can monitor the rate of my recovery more effectively.
    No problem. Happy to help out.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think you grasped the point of this thread, Billz.

Moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant
    Love it, love it, love it, Matt. I agree with everything you said except for the first person thing. I don't really care if Chappie talks in the first person, I just found it annoying when he started trying to sound like a thug with an annoying South African accent. That's what really did it for me.
    My biggest problem with the third person speech is that it felt like it was trying to make Chappie cuter, more markettable, which kind of derailed the entire point of Chappie to me...we're supposed to essentially accept Chappie as a human consciousness yet Blomkamp separates Chappie from us, I think, with the third person...did it even HAVE a personality or did it just imitate everything it seen like a robot programmed to immitate? Is Chappie a commentary on society as being full of programmed humans? I have no idea either way.

Just to add to your changes, I would beef up Weaver's role. Her character was basically pointless. What I would have done is make her go after Deon and Chappie. She finds out that Deon has gone rogue and created an AI that is sentient. This is a big no-no that could potentially have massive ramifications, because of this Weaver orders a full on assault on Chappie and Deon using the Scouts. This is where the thugs could actually come into play in a more natural way. Deon ends up enlisting the help of the thugs to fight off the police.
    Yes, Weaver was entirely wasted. It felt as if he was forced to maybe cut out her whole plotline...or it was never written. I don't know. And yes, your integration of the thugs makes sense, though it would be more effective if the crazy master criminal had Chappie instead of those witless criminals who can't even hold a gun.

The theme that ends up creeping into the film is a very timely one, and that is the little man taking on the tyrannical fist of the state. This is something that is in the news (in America at least) more and more. A police force that is becoming more and more powerful and seemingly taking that power out on the lower class. Think L.A. riots.
    It creeps into the film but it wasn't enough of a focal point. It seemed to be going in that direction, but then they abandoned it with Die Antwoord met Chappie. But then Blomkamp shows society instantly dissolve into utter chaos when the Scouts are removed, with rioting and the criminal element taking over, which actually enforces the idea of a police state being necessary; or did society become tat way because of the police state? I'm not sure what the heck he meant to say.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Haven't seen Chappie so can't contribute.
    Will wait for next film.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

You have any suggestions Fernando? I've been trying to think of a good one and for the life of me I can't. The only movie coming to mind for me is Prometheus and we've kind of talked all the problems it had out over the past two years.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

How about fixing Carrie (2013)? I have some thoughts on it. While I think it is important to differentiate between it and the DePalma classic, I do feel there was many things that could have been improved upon without completely changing the tone.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The fact that is a modernized retelling isn't one of the problems, however the way in which it was handled was lacking. I felt that with the modernization there should have been more of a focus on online bullying. While this aspect is touched upon, it's mostly in the prom scene, which ultimately was not a depiction of online bullying, but instead just regular bullying. Carrie's complete lack of knowledge of computers ends up being a detriment to the themes explored in the film. It's understandable that a sheltered kid without a computer wouldn't be as apt with technology, however any teen that attends public school in Canada or America these days has full access to computers, and wouldn't be nearly as ignorant as Carrie appears to be.

Another aspect that needed much improvement was the ending, we no longer feel the terror or intensity of the DePalma version, or King's original novel, instead it plays out more like a super hero movie. We cheer for Carrie and her superpowers. I also think the extreme use of CGI at the end takes out of the believability of the film. An amazing cast though, just wish they had done more with it.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Carrie

I haven't seen Carrie yet, but I can say that one of the potential problems I saw in the trailer is that Chloe Grace Moretz was just too damn pretty to play Carrie. Spacek had this odd beauty to her, but she wasn't traditionally beautiful.

I'm also trying to think of movies to fix, but I can't think of any right now. I've talked about fixing the Die Hard franchise enough on here, so I doubt people want to talk about that again. I'm sure we will think of movies as the year goes on.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I agree. That was my main problem with Carrie. It was hard to see her as such an outcast. I love her as an actress, don't get me wrong, but she was way too pretty. Even when they had her try to look awkward it just didn't really work for me.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Carrie

I don't have an issue with her not being odd looking. I also wouldn't considering Moretz as being traditionally beautiful either, her beauty is modest. I liked that the new Carrie was more about her being a freak instead of looking like one. Small differences and approaches aside, I like both Carries equally.

Out of all these, this is the only one I liked. It's both a play on words and totally ironic since Carrie the the polar opposite of calm here haha

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Carrie

I also wouldn't considering Moretz as being traditionally beautiful either, her beauty is modest.
    Modest? We clearly have different definitions of the word "modest."

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Another aspect that needed much improvement was the ending...instead it plays out more like a super hero movie. We cheer for Carrie and her superpowers. I also think the extreme use of CGI at the end takes out of the believability of the film. An amazing cast though, just wish they had done more with it.
    Totally agree. Those points you mentioned were also some that I mentioned in my review: Carrie Review.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Carrie

I also wouldn't considering Moretz as being traditionally beautiful either, her beauty is modest.
    Modest? We clearly have different definitions of the word "modest."

Modest: free from ostentation or showy extravagance: a modest house.

Compare Chloe Moretz with a lot of other young female stars of the past while. She's certainly not the sex pot a lot of them are. She's attractive but she's homely attractive in the sense she's more ordinary than this

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Matt's assertion of her modest goods looks. Maybe when she's a bit older.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast