Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: New project - but don't hold your breath!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw a box for artist signed... is there one for author signed?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I saw a box for artist signed... is there one for author signed?
    Yes, One of the main 6 icons denotes author FLAT signed. These icons allow filtering, so "Show me all the books that are Flatsigned by SK" I felt this was potentially something important to filter on. Note I distinguish Flat Signed from Signed Limited (which of course can be also flat signed!). Also the stats page combines both so you get a true count of qty of books with SK signatures.

So to be clear:

Artist Signed is just a property and cannot be filtered on.
    Highlighted Pencil Icon means Author Flatsigned and can be filtered on
    Signed Numbered or Lettered Editions can be filtered on
    No of SK Sigs = Flatsigned + Numbered + Lettered.

If there is a type of book that is not in the Signed Limited or Signed Lettered Catalogues but is signed from the publisher (ie NOT flat signed) please let me know

FYI - these are the icons which can be set for a book you own:

From left to right they denote:

Book is for Sale
    Book is Flat Signed
    Book has a dedication
    Book is Dated
    Book has a remarque
    Book requires an upgrade
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like the option to note that it needs upgraded. Wow, Simon, you have been thorough!

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thought of this today and had missed the video being posted. Very nice Simon! My excel spreadsheet is begging for this app to be available lol.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi all, just a note to say this hasn't died at all, just not really been able to focus on it much due to ill health. The iOS app is pretty complete ( I showed it to Br!an and Barlow when we met and got good feedback) and just needs some tweaks before I can submit it to Apple. Part of those tweaks will be to make it run correctly on iPad as well.

Android is the next big thing. That's going to be a bit of a learning curve as I've not done much direct Android coding, so it's going to take time. Don't expect anything soon!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the update Simon. Looking forward to downloading this.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not very "Tech" wise, but from what I can see you have created a killer app. Go get them, Simon!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice André Linoge is on a distinguished road André Linoge's Avatar

Stumbled across this for the first time-- a great idea, and excellent work, Simon!

Very much looking forward to downloading this, as well!

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

cool...almost makes me wish I had a cell phone to use it...almost.

let me know when the PC version comes out.

couple of things... couldn't tell, but can you copy all fields from one book to the other... so if you have multiple copies in the same condition, basically same info... you don't have to re-enter the info for each... just copy from a different book and change only what is different? That would speed up the data entry.

I know that would be a help with established collections... entering all data for all my books would take me weeks if not months unless I was able to duplicate the fields easily.

also.. saw some typos... "assistance" on the screen below.... and without is one word.
    Might want to have someone double spell/grammar/typo check all before marketing it.

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

Will you be incuding variants? Ie: Insomnia cover red/white vs white/red, or The Tommyknockers red vs. gold? I know as a newbie collector i was suprised and confused when i realized that some 1st ed had different covers.
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    cool...almost makes me wish I had a cell phone to use it...almost.

let me know when the PC version comes out.

couple of things... couldn't tell, but can you copy all fields from one book to the other... so if you have multiple copies in the same condition, basically same info... you don't have to re-enter the info for each... just copy from a different book and change only what is different? That would speed up the data entry.

I know that would be a help with established collections... entering all data for all my books would take me weeks if not months unless I was able to duplicate the fields easily.

also.. saw some typos... "assistance" on the screen below.... and without is one word.
    Might want to have someone double spell/grammar/typo check all before marketing it.

A PC version is highly unlikely at this stage. Re the spelling mistakes, that screenshot was taken about 20 seconds after I typed it! The errors have been fixed since then
    I really like the idea of copying info, I will get that implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post
    Will you be incuding variants? Ie: Insomnia cover red/white vs white/red, or The Tommyknockers red vs. gold? I know as a newbie collector i was suprised and confused when i realized that some 1st ed had different covers.
    I think the best way to implement this would be to include the variant in the data file as a completely different book and then have a boolean (yes/no) field called isVariant. There will be an option on the filter screen called "Show Variants". setting this would show all variant books in the main list. Doing it this way (treating it as a book in its own right) means that you can track your own (possibly multiple) copies of it.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Simon, when do you anticipate the app being ready?

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    Simon, when do you anticipate the app being ready?
    on the 19th....

Spoiler:
    Note I don't specify Month or Year!

Seriously though, it will be done when it's done. I put in some long and very late hours when I first started it and juggling with the day job of also working at a computer *may* have contributed to my headaches and high Blood pressure problems, so I havent really touched it since my recovery. The iOS app is pretty much fully working. You can view any book data file and add your own books including images, etc. Basic stats are also working. It's by no means 'bullet proof' and probably wouldn't pass Apple's appstore review process. I also need to complete at least the US first edition catalog file with all images (covers, spine, etc) and would like to have other files created as well.

Android has NOT been properly started yet, although I have begun to 'play' with Android Studio and learning how the apps are put together (so VERY different to iOS )

I am toying with the idea of releasing an (Alpha) test version of the iOS app so that I can get real user feedback. *warning* You would need to actually test the app and provide feedback, accept the fact that this could wipe your device (highly unlikely) and that any data you spend hours entering could be wiped at a moments notice (more likely). Serious testers only should apply. I would prefer people with actual software testing experience if possible. PM me if interested.

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

My only other question at the moment would be what version Ios would be required. Once my wife got her shiny new Ipad Air, i inherited her old Ipad 1 which maxed out at version 5.1.1. I hope this might be enough!

Thanks
    Chris
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't had any experience testing software before, so may not be what you looking for Simon, but I have owned an iphone since they came out in 2007. Use it ALL THE TIME.

Also, I am going to apologise in advnace for this question as it is not related to SImon's awesome project, but I didn't know ehere else I may find a suitable auidiance who could provide some opinions...

Has anyone here recently jumped ship from a PC set up at home to iMac? After using PC for nearly 30 years i am about to buy an iMac fr my home desktop and am nervous about moving away from the PC platform. What tips/advice could people give me who have gone through this before?

Simon, have you always been an Apple man? or did you once belong to the PC world?

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

James you're making a wise decision moving to Mac. I've been involved with computers my whole life. My first computer was a Sinclair ZX 81. It plugged into the TV and had no hard drive. Look it up. It's from the very early days of personal computers. Then after than I got an Apple IIe. But then I was basically with Windows for probably around 25+ years.

Then I think it was about 2010 that I switched to Mac. All I can say is that in all my years in front of a computer, and the majority of those years on Windows, the Mac is exceptional. The best computing experience I know of.

Making the switch wasn't easy at first. So be forewarned. A lot is different. But if you stick through it, it will be worth it. I believe apple has a help guide somewhere to help with the learning curve. Feel free to PM me if any specific questions come up.

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    James you're making a wise decision moving to Mac. I've been involved with computers my whole life. My first computer was a Sinclair ZX 81. It plugged into the TV and had no hard drive. Look it up. It's from the very early days of personal computers. Then after than I got an Apple IIe. But then I was basically with Windows for probably around 25+ years.

Then I think it was about 2010 that I switched to Mac. All I can say is that in all my years in front of a computer, and the majority of those years on Windows, the Mac is exceptional. The best computing experience I know of.

Making the switch wasn't easy at first. So be forewarned. A lot is different. But if you stick through it, it will be worth it. I believe apple has a help guide somewhere to help with the learning curve. Feel free to PM me if any specific questions come up.
    Thanks Paul. This post is the first on the new mac. I just finished unpacking it and setting it up. Have to say i have never enjoyed opening and setting up a computer as much as i just have! evening the packaging was delicate and refined.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    I haven't had any experience testing software before, so may not be what you looking for Simon, but I have owned an iphone since they came out in 2007. Use it ALL THE TIME.

Also, I am going to apologise in advnace for this question as it is not related to SImon's awesome project, but I didn't know ehere else I may find a suitable auidiance who could provide some opinions...

Has anyone here recently jumped ship from a PC set up at home to iMac? After using PC for nearly 30 years i am about to buy an iMac fr my home desktop and am nervous about moving away from the PC platform. What tips/advice could people give me who have gone through this before?

Simon, have you always been an Apple man? or did you once belong to the PC world?
    Hi James. Just to 'One up' Paul, MY first home computer was a ZX80 only 1K RAM! I then went through Commodore's (Vic-20, C64, C128, Amiga), Atari ST, Memotech, Dragon 32, ZX Spectrum, pretty much all the 8 bit computers I could lay my hands on until finally I got a PC. It was 25 years of Microsoft and Windows until I got my 1st Mac. Up until then I was a poster child for MS and very much belittled the 'fancy Mac and it's closed operating system that had no software'.

Approx 5 years ago I started working for a company that built mobile applications for multiple devices, including Iphone, this meant I HAD to use a Mac, (see that closed OS comment above!) There was a little bit of a learning curve (you WILL keep going right to close down an app!) and some file management idiosyncrasies that will frustrate the hell out of you (seriously Apple, still no 'Move' option on a file without dragging and dropping?) but after a while, like me, you will never look back. In that period of 5 years, My house is now (except for a couple of servers) almost exclusively Apple hardware, from Ipads, Iphones, Ipods, Apple Routers and Wireless Access points, both my kids have MacBook Airs and I have a MacBook Pro for work and one at home. Once you buy into that whole eco system it really simplifies everything.

There is a new OS upgrade coming soon ('El Capitan') that will certainly help with your transition from Windows (especially if you are used to 'anchoring' apps to one side of the screen or the other. I have been Beta testing it for a while and it works well.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, Simon you have me beat there. That's a lot of the early personal computers you went through! I skipped 'em but do remember many of them.

By the way, to move a file using the keyboard, just copy the file with Command-C and then Option-Command V to paste it where you want, and it will delete the file from the original location. Basically, you end up with the same result as moving it.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Wow, Simon you have me beat there. That's a lot of the early personal computers you went through! I skipped 'em but do remember many of them.

By the way, to move a file using the keyboard, just copy the file with Command-C and then Option-Command V to paste it where you want, and it will delete the file from the original location. Basically, you end up with the same result as moving it.
    Well F%^$ me! you learn something every day - I never knew about the Option with Command V - thanks Paul!

(Oh and I forgot BBC Model B - now That was a home computer!)

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

No problem. I have lots of time-saving shortcuts that I can't think of. It's all become automatic in my brain.

I'll tell you that there's an app that was a game changer for me, and if you're not using it, you must. It's incredible. Alfred App. Be sure to use it with Alfred Workflows. There's a ton out there for almost any application you can think of.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post

well, I've been a PC user since going to DOS prompt and typing in "win" to start window's 3.0. I have always owned one... I own 3 PC desktops now, plus 2 laptops.

First time I used a Mac was for an autocad class back in 1997... hated it...
    Then I DJ'd in a club for 6 years and we used a Mac for the music.... hated it.
    Then,when I started designing chips for an unnamed company made of fruit... and you guess it... they strangely use all Macs ....
    and I hate it.... though at least we can VNC into a unix based server, and once I'm there I'm comfortable.

yeah... I know... PC's are virus magnets.... but I just like the windows platform better... I guess it's because it's like an old hat that fits me better.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I recall typing 'gem' into a Dr Dos prompt before any of that Microsoft stuff got popular

The cutting edge of '88....

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    I recall typing 'gem' into a Dr Dos prompt before any of that Microsoft stuff got popular

yep... I was a DOS wizard back then.... and Basic, Fortran and Cobal programming guru.

remember my first class in Basic with punch cards.

Then it was something cool when Pascal came into play... but it quickly fell victim to C.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post

88? I didn't realize they had CD's and DVD's for computers back then?.... I know all I was using were the five and a quarter inch floppies.

remember the dial up modem that one had to set the receiver into the computer to receive and that awful connection noise...?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast