Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: New project - but don't hold your breath!

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

This sounds like a great idea. Happy to help out however I can.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Happy to see it's still on track... You can count me in to help Simon.

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This sounds great Simon, I am happy to help in any way.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I like the Ka sign. We could have Chadbournne draw one for us with his own slight twist. I think that would be CR safe. We could also have Chadbourne draw a Pennywise. Something like this would be very iconic:

I'd never be able to install the app if that Pennywise icon was used; I'd be afraid to unlock my phone! I fully support the Ka sign with a twist though.

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I wasn't around when this thread started, so I am glad you bumped it. I love the idea and what you have so far sounds great

Count me in for helping with the data entry if you'd like.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AstroDad View Post
    Count me in for helping with the data entry if you'd like.
    +1 Feel free to count me in too!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for all the offers of help on data entry folks. There is a small but willing team already started on this for the first editions. Once I get over this first hurdle I can open the floodgates and we can start work on the limited stuff.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't plan on making regular updates on this but since I had a huge amount of frustration over this and it's FINALLY working I thought I'd post some progress...

As mentioned previously, the data for the app will be stored in the cloud as JSON files. JSON is a great format for defining data and is both easily read by humans and machines. It's not however the simplest and friendliest way to actually enter the data. (especially if multiple people are working on it). So I created an Excel spreadsheet and have had a few members working on populating it with first edition data (US and UK). I then dusted off my Visual Basic for applications code skills and wrote some code for Excel that at the press of a button, converts the spreadsheet into separate JSON data files - one for each collection.

I thought this would be pretty simple, but it turned out to be a royal PITA! JSON is a fairly simple (but particular) format and if it's not 100% correct it will not be readable. What was giving me pain was that my JSON file was passing all the online formatting tests, but would NOT be read by the application code, it kept getting rejected. Long story short it turned out to be various 'invisible' control characters hidden in the Excel cell text (that had been cut and pasted by me from various web sites). A bit more code to clean this up and 2 late nights further on and it's now working as expected.

The beauty of the JSON format is that it can be consumed by pretty much anything, so even if my app never sees the light of day (which I hope won’t be the case) the collected data can be used by someone else to build an app, a web page, anything they like. I hope it will be a useful resource beyond my app to others.

If you want to see what this looks like, here is a link to the current US firsts file:
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I need a translator!!! LOL LOL LOL I still have a "Flip Phone" that I think is really cool!! LOL LOL

Spoiler:
    BTW Simon, it's spelled "JASON" I thought you spoke "English"!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Banned Joka42 will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

the app dont suport OS/X Apple SO, right? nice app

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joka42 View Post
    the app dont suport OS/X Apple SO, right? nice app
    It will be a mobile app only. Initially iOS and then Android.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

UPDATE!!!

Here is a video of some Work In Progress. Most of the Phase I functionality is now complete. I need to do some work on the initial setting screens where you select the data you wish to include (which file sets, whether to include the higher res cover images, etc)

Still LOADS to do but the core is now there. I will be moving on to the "My Books" part of the app where you can record all the books you own and all of those little icons will start being operational.

I have had some help with collating book data so far and a big thanks to those that have been involved (you know who you are! ) but what I really need is a good source of high res cover images. Not just the front but spine, back, inner leaves and copyright page. Any volunteers ? (please... )

Feedback and comments always welcome

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome I haven't had the chance to get any work done since the last time we talked about it. What is your deadline for the book data work? These days I seem to need deadlines if I want to get anything done...

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks great!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Awesome I haven't had the chance to get any work done since the last time we talked about it. What is your deadline for the book data work? These days I seem to need deadlines if I want to get anything done...
    Yesterday.

Actually in all seriousness I can cover the rest of the UK trades. Where I need more support is around information for the more limited books and quality cover scans for everything.

All the book data is automated now from the spreadsheet, so it can be worked on over time without impacting anything else I do. I have already proved the sorting and filtering and have enough test data to finish the actual app.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think quite a few of the US Trade firsts in our Catalog have front, spine and rear scans. The images for front and back are ~400wx600h. I would think that when reduced to a cell phone app they would suffice. I spent quite a bit of time scanning. Unfortunately I did not scan the dj flaps.

EDIT:
    The images for the Catalog have been reduced. The actual scans are usually ~630x950 for front and rear, and 140x950 for the spine.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks RF - the images for the U.S. firsts are a pretty good set and will be my 'default' for now. The UK and signed limiteds are less consistent however and it would be good to eventually get a complete set of all aspects of the DJ's plus CP page.

This part of the project is more of a long run than the main sprint and the app has been designed to update as new pictures become available.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

S/L's, and lettered stuff will be a challenge to scan front, spine, back, traycase/slipcase etc. Many are oversized and people understandably are reticent to splay the book open to scan a CR page. Since you can add pages, perhaps parameters to the volunteers on the most important initial icon.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Im just adding the functionality to add details on your own books. There is a discussion regarding categories of condition. I was planning to go with:

Fine
    Near Fine
    Very Good
    Good
    Fair
    Poor

But I'm open to adding more values if required. There will be separate fields for condition of book, Dust Jacket and (where applicable) Case

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Would it be helpful to have a grade of "Unopened" or "In Shrink"? Or perhaps that would be better left to the notes? I think still in shrink wrap is common enough that perhaps a check box or other way to designate it would be nice.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

How about an As New for books still shrink wrapped.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    But it's not "as new" because the old shrinkwrap might stick to the dustjacket.

That's why condition is so dependant on pictures and description.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    But it's not "as new" because the old shrinkwrap might stick to the dustjacket.

That's why condition is so dependant on pictures and description.
    That's true. Maybe it is best just to have a notes section for things like this.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Joe 315 has a good point.

I currently keep spreadsheets with my books listed. Instead of having a column for condition, I have one marked "issue?" That way, I can note what's wrong and make a determination later if I am out somewhere and see a book. I.e. remainder mark, faded dustjacket, price-clipped, etc.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This will be your notes on your books, so you can put what you like in there. I think I will add 'Price clipped' as a setting however as thats quite an important thing to track.
    I think I will also add 'shrink wrapped' as a separate setting as well.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast