Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: 11/22/63 series on Hulu

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I
    Spoiler:
    hated (see episode six)
    the sidekick. It's assumed that the presence of a sidekick helped present some of the internal dialogue.

I am a bibliophile and so my default is to hate the screen adaptations. I haven't been disappointed so far.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I am as well. I can do with some minor changes if necessary, and minor. But I hate huge changes from the book.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just watched episode 6.
    Spoiler:
    Wow, the sidekick is a bumbling idiot. So glad he's finally locked up and out of the picture. It was as if everything not working out was do to this stupid inept kid, when it was just personal conflicts that he had because he was leading a double life. Also what was up with the love interest with Marina?!

Needless to say, that was the worst episode yet. I hope they try to get back on track with the story for these last two episodes.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
    Interesting. I found the book to largely be about his life and not the assassination. That was just a plot device to get him into the past at that time. The ending really solidifes that the main story is him and Sadie. Or maybe I am just too sentimental and made those parts more important than they should have been.
    I'd have to agree with this assessment sans the sentimentality. I thought the book was more about, Jake and his exploits in the past. Hence the "Love Story" was pivotal. IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm actually liking the series, although I too am glad re: episode 6
    Spoiler:
    and the removal of the idiot sidekick.

That being said, I purposefully haven't reread the book in awhile because I knew the series was being made. I figured I would just be annoyed if I was more familiar with the book, like I was with UTD.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Spoiler:

That being said, I purposefully haven't reread the book in awhile because I knew the series was being made. I figured I would just be annoyed if I was more familiar with the book, like I was with UTD.
    Good point. Anyone know when and if this will be made "public"? Or do you have to subscribe to "Hulu"???
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure there will be a blu-ray set released later.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You can get a free week trial at the end of the series, which I believe is referred to at some point on this thread. Or, if you know someone with a Limited Commercials plan with Hulu, you can get a free 2 week trial. Unfortunately, we paid extra for the No Commercials plan, so I can't help you guys out with that. But on the upside, no commercials!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:

I'm also glad that it's been a while since I read the book
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Spoiler:

I'm also glad that it's been a while since I read the book
    I did the same as well. I almost reread it, but then I decided not to just for that reason. Having said that, I have been super annoyed by the big changes that I have noticed so far. If I had reread it then I can't even imagine how much of be hating it right now

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Spoiler:

Good point. Anyone know when and if this will be made "public"? Or do you have to subscribe to "Hulu"???
    If you want to watch it, I would just wait until the last one airs (which will be next monday) and then sign up for the 1 week free trial. Watch them quick then cancel before you have to pay.

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I did a re-read right before watching and you guys made a wise choice. I have been fine with some changes but others are just awful. It really feels like it was made by someone that really didn't "get" the book at all. I will withhold final judgement until I see what they do with the ending. (Haven't watched todays episode yet)

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

Man this is getting real bad. Still don't buy James Franco as a leading man. Sarah Gadon seems like all of her acting skill is used up doing the weird accent that there's nothing left to do but stumble around and act like a naive little girl in a pretty dress. Jake and Sadie felt like real people in the book... At the point in episode 7 when Jake got the gun out of the puzzle box and did that little look behind him my entire house burst out laughing over how hackneyed it was.

Really wish someone with a little more spirit got a chance to do a better job at this.

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy_ed View Post
    Man this is getting real bad. Still don't buy James Franco as a leading man. Sarah Gadon seems like all of her acting skill is used up doing the weird accent that there's nothing left to do but stumble around and act like a naive little girl in a pretty dress. Jake and Sadie felt like real people in the book... At the point in episode 7 when Jake got the gun out of the puzzle box and did that little look behind him my entire house burst out laughing over how hackneyed it was.

Really wish someone with a little more spirit got a chance to do a better job at this.
    At first I thought I was being really negative on the show so it's nice to hear that other people are thinking it's as bad as I do.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Spoiler:

If you want to watch it, I would just wait until the last one airs (which will be next monday) and then sign up for the 1 week free trial. Watch them quick then cancel before you have to pay.
    Solid plan, thank you for your insight, my dear!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Read the Book for the first time after watching the first two episodes premiere at Sundance.

I caught ep three after starting the book, then had a multiweek break in which i finished the book and then watched 4-7 in one sitting last night.

I loved the book.

I like the series.

I feel like many folks are being way to hard on the adaptation. I also feel like SK fans are such a finicky and picky hard to please lot. Let's face it folks, most Stephen King adaptations to film or tv are a dog's breakfast. You just cannot translate effectively what king does best, putting you in the character shoes in the story due to universally felt connections due to turns of phrase and words. Creating pictures in your head with language.

I am satisfied to see an adaptation not be an abortion like Under the Dome.

I have been highly impressed with the look and tone of the piece. The period accuracy. The "feel" of being in those old days

I give a great horses laugh whenever i hear folks posit NOT watching an adaptation (and deciding on how it is themselves) due to reading others opinions on a message boards. That in itself is extremely entertaining.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

I love the look of it also. It does seem like you're back in that time period. And I will give you that it's not an abomination like Under the Dome, however had I not read the book, would I enjoy the series? I'd probably think it was just average. I don't hate it, but it could be so much better. My one main gripe with the show is the addition of his bumbling idiot sidekick. I really enjoyed the duel life that he lead in the story, and that's all lost here. I get that a lot is in his head so they wanted to more easily express that to viewers by adding in this character, but maybe if they made him a competent person instead of this guy I wouldn't mind it as much. But they're making it out to seem like everything is going wrong because this stupid kid is messing everything up (can you tell I really hate his character? ). I still think they could have achieved him doing it all on his own though. I'm curious how they're going to end it. I do hope they stick with the ending from the book but we'll see.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Stephen King wrote the poem Sadie recites in the final episode, for those of you keeping track of such things.

https://twitter.com/BridgetCarpen12/...02575548125184

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks !
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Country
    Country Flag

The last episode was decent. They kept the ending which made me happy. That said there were way too many down parts for me to really to recommend it or ever watch again. The actor playing Harry out-acted almost everybody in the entire series and he got like 15 minutes of screen time total.

Gunslinger Apprentice NoAttitudeThisTime is on a distinguished road

Did anyone notice the guy on the bicycle that Jake bumps into at the beginning of this final episode? And then a certain word on a wall...I know I've been somewhat harsh on the romantic angle of this show, but I must admit that it was very good, very satisfying, and that it beats the beep out of Under the Dome (the show) anytime.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NoAttitudeThisTime View Post
    Did anyone notice the guy on the bicycle that Jake bumps into at the beginning of this final episode? And then a certain word on a wall...I know I've been somewhat harsh on the romantic angle of this show, but I must admit that it was very good, very satisfying, and that it beats the beep out of Under the Dome (the show) anytime.

I just watched the finale episode. Enjoyed it, they ended it very well which is something I was worried about. As a whole what did I think of the series, it was ok. Didn't hate it, but didn't love it. I loved the look and feel of the series. Plus I love James Franco so there's another plus. But I couldn't get over the addition of the sidekick. That really brought the whole thing down for me.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally finished watching the whole thing. It was definitely different from the book. I'm not sure still how I feel about the changes.

Spoiler:
    The bumbling sidekick didn't bother me that much. They compressed 3 years of the story into one, and they had to add someone into the story for him to give exposition and explain things. He really needed a 2nd person to pull off all that Oswald stuff and live his life in Jodie. They skipped a lot of stuff, and left a lot out. But I think in the end, overall, the theme of the movie was pretty close to what King got across in his book.

I think after seeing it, my biggest beef was with Franco as Jake. He was okay, but not who I imagined in my head. I did like the Sadie actress, I empathized with Jake losing her.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast