Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Thread: Best Sci Fi nominations + General updates throughout the tournament

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone else feel like this tournament has been going on forever?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's because we started this one right after the Horror tournament ended.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah - I do love film, but fall tv will appear soon.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well since we all love tournaments so much, a new one just started up in Starkblast. All are welcome: come, vote!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Getting Round 3 ready...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Getting Round 3 ready...
    Something's wrong. There's Round 3 Groups A, B, and D, yet no C...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Does anyone else feel like this tournament has been going on forever?
    yes, but I don't mind in the least

it was a pleasant surprise that, when I (more or less) came back - although still unable to do much more than to click a mouse on an option - I found out that the world had not moved on too far. I was really really afraid it would.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Getting Round 3 ready...
    Something's wrong. There's Round 3 Groups A, B, and D, yet no C...
    Group C will be posted soon.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Hm, the new Robocop is better than expected. The sci-fi is much more sophisticated. The interior conflict is less direct than in the original, the social satire is more direct. Interesting.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Good enough to purchase?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Hm, the new Robocop is better than expected. The sci-fi is much more sophisticated. The interior conflict is less direct than in the original, the social satire is more direct. Interesting.
    Holy shit Mike, that actually makes me want to check it out. Especially shocked to hear that the social satire is still there. Might just have to check it out.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I don't know if direct satire is necessarily better. That's partly an indirect way of saying that the movie comes right out and beats you over the head with it in case you are to dense to understand the point. At the same time, there are depictions of future corporate culture more in line with realities of modern corporate culture than the old fashioned stereotypes that filled in spots for the original.

Should you purchase it? Gee, I don't know. I like how they added to the story of why you'd even want to turn someone into Robocop and how they even could, even though it almost reduces the concept of unwillingness, but it's still not a great drama I'd want to watch again for the relationships. (Well, maybe for a handful of moments.) You'd get it for the violence if you like that. A bit less gory than the first movie, but filled with gunfire. Whole series of CGI shooting ranges throughout this film.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I respectfully withdraw for voting any further. Have a wonderful tournament and enjoy yourselves.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Where on earth does that come from? I sense that you think I was referring to you in recent posts? None of the quotes or opinions I was disagreeing with came from you, Bill. I was referring to the things T-Dogz posted. He's the one that was all "old films are dated and therefore suck by comparison to today's standards." I have no dog in the fight at all over who has seen what movie and who votes for what. People can vote for whatever they want. I just think it's a shame that T-Dogz was going on record writing off decades of older films b/c of reasons I found less than compelling.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think he's more upset I've voted without having seen 2001.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Motherf*cker, that's nothing compared to how upset I am that you haven't seen 2001

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Motherf*cker, that's nothing compared to how upset I am that you haven't seen 2001
    It's going to be my last Kubrick lol. Have to watch Lolita, Killer's Kiss and Full Metal Jacket first now.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It's going to be my last Kubrick lol. Have to watch Lolita, Killer's Kiss and Full Metal Jacket first now.
    GET SOME! GET SOME! GET SOME!

Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

You realize he's not really going anywhere, right? He always does this. "Pretend I'm not here!" It's apparently part of some strange persecution complex. You're supposed to forget you heard anything you might differ with, and then forget that you forgot. Try to be sane and rational instead and he might get angry.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=Still Servant;873640]
    I'm planning an 80`s war movie day, with Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now with a possible Platoon rewatch between them.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh man, the Quarter finals are going to be so dope! I will post all 4 QF groups tomorrow or Sunday at the latest.

Advancing :

Group A
    Back to the Future I
    Twelve Monkeys

Group B
    Jurassic Park
    Terminator 2

Group C
    Inception
    Robocop

Group D
    The Matrix
    2001 : A Space Odyssey

Group E
    Alien
    Star Wars Ep VI

Group F
    Star Wars Ep V
    Aliens

Group G
    Star Wars Ep IV
    Blade Runner

Group H
    Total Recall
    Predator

Country
    Country Flag

Three Star Wars films and two Alien films in the top 16 sci-fi films of all time seems a little off. Also the oldest film is 2001 (1968). But this should be really fun anyway. Let's do it!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Three Star Wars films and two Alien films in the top 16 sci-fi films of all time seems a little off. Also the oldest film is 2001 (1968). But this should be really fun anyway. Let's do it!
    It's nearing my 'star wars vs star trek' dreaded final, with star trek being replaced with Alien/Predator lol

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast