Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Sci Fi nominations + General updates throughout the tournament

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Seems fair to me. Also, it opens a couple of slots for those that missed out initially. Good solution, IMHO and we all owe a debt of thanks to, Ferny for undertaking this venture. No mean feat!!!

Let the discussion rage on!!!

Like HHGTTG the movie did not quite live up to the book, but "Battlefield Earth" deserves consideration.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

I HATE TO SAY "I TOLD YOU SO"

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The last "Star Trek" installment.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We need to decide on Jean's nomination too for slot #124.

There have been a few comments against Jacob's Ladder and one in support of Mimic, but the decision hasn't really been finalised yet...

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This seems like a whole lot more trouble than its worth.

There is a lot of GREAT film discussion on these boards and many people whose opinions and reviews/criticism I have read that have really resonated with me (Heather19, Jean, Still Servant, Mattrick to name a few)

Ill go back to reading those threads and try to ignore the popularity contest polls/tourneys (although lets face it, it is HARD to due to the constant floodwave of posts that take up the unread posts page for long periods of time).

Or better yet, watch some films

Have fun!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey you guys, I'll be signing off in a bit and might not have a chance to check this thread again until tomorrow morning. If you guys want to take me up on my proposal, please list a comprehensive list of the films you want to see up for discussion and we'll address them.

Thank you all for participating

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    We need to decide on Jean's nomination too for slot #124.

There have been a few comments against Jacob's Ladder and one in support of Mimic, but the decision hasn't really been finalised yet...

Support "Mimic", do not support "Jacobs Ladder". Does that help?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

1. How about A Christmas Carol? Time travel, right? Nothing to do with relativity, though. Is it sci-fi? You could stretch the definition to include any drama reconsidering the past. Seems inappropriate, though there's no need for language like "idiotic."

2. The problem with taking more than 128 nominations would be that the contest would last longer. Some system to revise the beginning list, if acceptable to everyone, would be far more efficient.

3. Choose the "best" in each series or just vote on the name of the whole; the result will likely be the same due to subconscious association. Except tha some of us may try to correct for mental bias and be fair while others won't try no matter how you ask and probably aren't capable of objective thought even in emergencies. Anyway, how is it unfair for George Lucas's early work to be counted as hurt by work that he chose to attach to it himself?

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I wouldn't consider Jacob's Ladder Sci-Fi at all (others may disagree), but Mimic definitely is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Support "Mimic", do not support "Jacobs Ladder". Does that help?
    Yes it does!

Mimic it is then at slot #124. 8)

Like HHGTTG the movie did not quite live up to the book, but "Battlefield Earth" deserves consideration.[/QUOTE]
    I AGREE!

Spoiler:
    TO BE ON THE TOP OF THE PYRE.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Mimic has been added at #124

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    In order for that film to remain on theable, it must be 2nd by another member on here.
    I'm all for democratic resolution, but that's still a pretty low hurdle.

Country
    Country Flag

Hey you guys, I'll be signing off in a bit and might not have a chance to check this thread again until tomorrow morning. If you guys want to take me up on my proposal, please list a comprehensive list of the films you want to see up for discussion and we'll address them.

Thank you all for participating
    Looking at the list there are a few franchises that could be clipped to only one nomination in order to free up space...

Star Wars Episodes IV, V and VI
    Terminator 1 & 2
    The Quatermass Experiment 1 & 2
    Mad Max 1 & 2
    Alien & Aliens

If we clip these films to only one nomination per franchise, it would free up an additional 6 spaces for films to be chosen by people who have not yet voted.
    I think we should discuss the issue of having more than one nomination per franchise. I think it would be fairer if only one film per franchise is allowed to be nominated so that space could be freed up solely for people who have not yet nominated a film of their choice.

If it is decided that only one film per franchise can be nominated, then I would suggest running a separate poll for which film from each franchise is to be included in the final list. Having an official poll to vote on would minimise the arguments that would occur when "discussing" what film from each franchise should go through.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    In order for that film to remain on theable, it must be 2nd by another member on here.
    BUT it is fair...

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Jacobs Ladder is all about science crossing into the unbelievable. To me it is about exploring what happens when science messes with the big what if of death.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    This seems like a whole lot more trouble than its worth.

There is a lot of GREAT film discussion on these boards and many people whose opinions and reviews/criticism I have read that have really resonated with me (Heather19, Jean, Still Servant, Mattrick to name a few)

Ill go back to reading those threads and try to ignore the popularity contest polls/tourneys (although lets face it, it is HARD to due to the constant floodwave of posts that take up the unread posts page for long periods of time).

Or better yet, watch some films

Have fun!
    I appreciate that, Lookwhoitis. Thanks.

I know it seems crazy now, but once the dust settles, the contest threads will have a lot of great discussion. I urge you to come back and take a look.

Feev, don't apologize. This is a lot of work. Let me know if you need any help. I think there is more interest in this because we all love Sci-fi. Let's be honest, we are on a site dedicated to a book series that has a lot of Sci-fi elements.

As for the multi-franchise nominations, I think films have to be nominated individually. Alien and Aliens are two completely different films. Same for Mad Max and The Road Warrior. Nominating The Matrix would essentially mean you are nominating Reloaded and Revolutions, two films that are undeserving in my opinion.

I feel Wall-E is Sci-fi, but I don't think Despicable Me is. The very story of Wall-E is Sci-fi, whereas Despicable Me is simply just animated story. It's hard for me to explain the difference, I suppose. I guess Despicable Me is more of a Superhero film than anything, which leads me to my next point. I don't consider Superhero films Sci-fi, I'm not opposed to including them in the tournament, I just wish I knew our stance so I could have voted for The Dark Knight.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    BUT it is fair...
    BUT not really.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Out of franchises we should include the best films of the francises if we intende to prune.

Can we all agree on these?:

- Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars)
    - Judgement Day (Terminator)
    - Aliens (Because Alien already won horror, why not)
    - Back to the Future 2

For those who didn't get many or any nominations my apologies for being so gung-ho of getting mine it...I missed almost the entire horror noms and was just lucky I could get a few in at the end, so I wasn't missing out this time. On the bright side it appears none of my nominations are up for debate.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

HOW ABOUT THIS?
    1. A REGISTRATION PERIOD BEFORE THE VOTE.
    2. ONLY THOSE REGISTERED CAN VOTE.
    3. THE NUMBER OF VOTES IS DIVIDED BETWEEN THOSE REGISTERED.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the waiting for five noms instead of three will work just fine.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I just want to say that even though there is some debate going on, I think we all did a really great job of putting this list together. I think this is pretty comprehensive. True, this tournament is a popularity contest, but I'd be willing to bet that our finalists will hold up to any Sci-fi list you will find on the internet. You will not see an undeserving film win this thing.

My front runners at this point are Back to the Future, Planet of the Apes, Aliens, Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park.

I will also apologize for hogging the nominations, but I feel every film I nominated would have been included anyway.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Best of each franchise makes having lots of films a big advantage. Any non-series film might have been better able to compete if they had made lots of sequels then had the worst ones ignored. Kind of unreal, isn't it?
    Why not give fair credit to directors getting things right on the first try?

And for the record, I for one do NOT agree that ESB is the best SW anyway.

needfulthings: Those sound like very good ideas for next time.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't want to be "that guy" but Feev did say for us to look over the list and see if we find any films we disagree with. I was going to mention something last night, but I didn't want to get into it.

Anyway, I don't think Gravity is a Sci-fi film. It's true that IMDB lists Sci-fi as one of its genres, which surprises me, but I just don't think it's Sci-fi. Sure, it takes place in space, but so does Apollo 13. Is the only thing keeping Apollo 13 out of the tournament the fact that it is based on a true story? I suppose so.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the votes should be calculated at a greater percentage for those voters with a lesser post count.

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    HOW ABOUT THIS?
    1. A REGISTRATION PERIOD BEFORE THE VOTE.
    2. ONLY THOSE REGISTERED CAN VOTE.
    3. THE NUMBER OF VOTES IS DIVIDED BETWEEN THOSE REGISTERED.
    Just kidding of course.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

Anyway, I don't think Gravity is a Sci-fi film. It's true that IMDB lists Sci-fi as one of its genres, which surprises me, but I just don't think it's Sci-fi. Sure, it takes place in space, but so does Apollo 13. Is the only thing keeping Apollo 13 out of the tournament the fact that it is based on a true story? I suppose so.
    It's funny I thought the exact same thing. I rewatched it a couple weeks ago and it isn't a sci-fi movie at all. It takes place in space, but in REAL space. The space you know, we've been in for the past 50 years and have people up there right now in. That actually exists. And whether or not James Hatfield (Canadian Astronaut) thought it was a realistic depiction or not doesn't mean the film isn't set in the reality we live and breath...we just haven't experienced it as so few actually have. What makes moon different, since we've been to the Moon, is that it takes place in the not too distant future (like Her does) and features..well, if you've seen it you know what I mean.

I enjoyed Gravity but it isn't sci-fi. If there is one thing that separates Sci-Fi from everything else is the ideas it presents as per how the world/universe works and functions and say, what could happen if you threw a wrench in this cog. Gravity is a character piece about survival in space. If Gravity is sci-fi, then Cast Away is sci-fi.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast