Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Sci Fi nominations + General updates throughout the tournament

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    And Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy wasn't even nominated?
    That's probably a blessing. Awful movie.
    BUT it is a highly beloved sci fi book series, so i believe it could be on the list
    I am a huge fan of "The Guide" series, but the books far exceeded the movie and they are, after all, really "Spoofs" and social commentary. The movie did not live up to the books and therefore, should probably not be included in a "Best Sci-Fi films" vote.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

wow, so it is an exclusive club of 128.

Guess ill go back to being peeved at how all these plethora of vote posts clog up the chat boards to no avail when you view the boards through the "unread posts" tab. you have a best of

How the heck can you have a "best of" Sci Fi films with 128 entries and not have Children of Men represented.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

i nominate:

Children of Men - Alfonso Cuaron

ALSO

Code 46 and A Scanner Darkly
    I nominated Children of Men. No way I was allowing a tournament on Sci-fi without including the best Sci-fi film in 10 years.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...l=1#post859307

Here's what we should do next time in order to pick the nominations. Everybody should submit a list. You can have 500 movies on the list or 5. If a film shows up on at least 3 lists (the number of lists it has to appear on can be more or less, it's open to discussion) it is officially nominated.

I still think there are a few films on the final list that need to be discussed. I was under the impression superhero movies would not be included. If so, The Dark Knight should have been nominated. It's better than all the superhero films nominated combined.

Also, I'm surprised nobody nominated Soylent Green and Logan's Run. I would have liked to see WarGames nominated. One of my favorite films, but most people forget about it when discussing Sci-fi.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't consider Jacob's Ladder Sci-Fi at all (others may disagree), but Mimic definitely is.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This is not a "Best of" sci fi contest. It is a popularity contest limited to folks who posted in a thread in a 12 hour window.

Despicable me? Come on...

Time Bandits is Sci Fi

That is all...
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    And Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy wasn't even nominated?
    That's probably a blessing. Awful movie.
    BUT it is a highly beloved sci fi book series, so i believe it could be on the list
    It could have been, it just wasn't nominated.

IMHO I was glad it wasn't nominated purely because I thought it sucked as a movie, not because it wasn't Sci-fi.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I wouldn't consider Jacob's Ladder Sci-Fi at all (others may disagree), but Mimic definitely is.
    This is not a Best of" sci fi contest. It is a popularity contest limited to folks who posted in a thread in a 12 hour window.

Despicable me? Come on...

Time Bandits is Sci Fi

That is all...

I agree with both posts. This got way out of hand.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    i nominate:

ALSO

I nominated Children of Men. No way I was allowing a tournament on Sci-fi without including the best Sci-fi film in 10 years.

Here's what we should do next time in order to pick the nominations. Everybody should submit a list. You can have 500 movies on the list or 5. If a film shows up on at least 3 lists (the number of lists it has to appear on can be more or less, it's open to discussion) it is officially nominated.

I still think there are a few films on the final list that need to be discussed. I was under the impression superhero movies would not be included. If so, The Dark Knight should have been nominated. It's better than all the superhero films nominated combined.

Also, I'm surprised nobody nominated Soylent Green and Logan's Run. I would have liked to see WarGames nominated. One of my favorite films, but most people forget about it when discussing Sci-fi.
    Where was it, it wasnt on the list (Children of Men)

I agree it is the best sci fi film in the past ten years and I think has a chance for top 3 of all time.

BUUUT. i wasnt the third caller so i dont win the concert tickets

Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Jacobs Ladder?

Horror film... yes

Psychotropic drug trip film...yes

A good Mindfucking...yes

but it is not a science fiction film.

Kudos to whomever listed the Jacket, too (Jean maybe) I got in to a claustrophobic freakout while watching that film at the Sundance film festival... It might not be sci fi either though, Although who knows.

I think im going to go eat a lot of drugs and watch ants crawl all over my skin like in A Scanner Darkly
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    1. 2001 : A Space Odyssey
    2. Blade Runner
    3. Star Wars Episode IV : A New Hope
    4. A Clockwork Orange
    5. Terminator 2
    6. Never Let Me Go
    7. Metropolis
    8. Back to the Future I
    9. Gattaca
    10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    11. Jurassic Park
    12. Aliens
    13. The Matrix
    14. Alien
    15. Gravity
    16. Twelve Monkeys
    17. Dark City
    18. Ghost in the Shell
    19. Gojira (1954)
    20. The Truman Show
    21. The Abyss
    22. Star Wars Episode V : The Empire Strikes Back
    23. The Thing From Another World!
    24. Planet of the Apes 1968
    25. Pleasantville
    26. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    27. Forbidden Planet
    28. Akira
    29. Fantastic Planet
    30. West World
    31. This Island Earth
    32. District 9
    33. Her
    34. Total Recall
    35. The Time Machine
    36. Brazil
    37. Artificial Intelligence
    38. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
    39. Mad Max
    40. Melancholia
    41. Moon
    42. The Road Warrior
    43. Serenity
    44. Village of the Damned 1960
    45. Donnie Darko
    46. Somewhere In Time
    47. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    48. Them
    49. Children of the Damned
    50. Star Wars Episode VI : Return of the Jedi
    51. Minority Report
    52. Vanilla Sky
    53. Super 8
    54. Fahrenheit 451
    55. Omega Man
    56. Sunshine
    57. Another Earth
    58. The Fountain
    59. When Worlds Collide
    60. Abre Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes)
    61. Predator
    62. Wall-E
    63. The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
    64. Robocop
    65. Flight of the Navigator
    66. The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
    67. The Incredible Shrinking Man
    68. The Fifth Element
    69. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Donald Sutherland)
    70. Silent Running
    71. Primer
    72. Independence Day
    73. eXistenZ
    74. War of the World 1953
    75. Avatar
    76. Solaris
    77. Island of Lost Souls
    78. Event Horizon
    79. On The Beach
    80. The Thing
    81. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
    82. Seconds
    83. Starship Troopers
    84. Frankenstein 1931
    85. The Butterfly Effect
    86. Altered States
    87. The Fly
    88. The Curse of Frankenstein
    89. The Cell
    90. Pi
    91. Escape From New York
    92. COLOSSUS "The Forbin" Project
    93. Things to Come
    94. The Invisible Man
    95. Ghostbusters
    96. Donovan’s Brain
    97. Contact
    98. Tetsuo
    99. Spider Man 2
    100. Quartermass II aka Enemy from Space
    101. Cube
    102. The Bride of Frankenstein
    103. Time Bandits
    104. FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH aka QUATERMASS & THE PIT.
    105. Woman in the Moon
    106. Inception
    107. Barbarella
    108. The CREEPING UNKOWN aka QUATERMASS XPERIMEN
    109. Waterworld
    110. Looper
    111. Pandorum
    112. 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH.
    113. Despicable Me
    114. Je t'aime, je t'aime
    115. Tron Legacy
    116. Phase IV
    117. The Arrival
    118. Stalker
    119. Demolition Man
    120. The Hidden 1987
    121. The Final Countdown
    122. Fire in the Sky
    123. Hellboy
    124. 1984
    125. Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan
    126. X-Men : Days of Future Past
    127. Dark Star
    128. About Time
    Just for reference...
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    i nominate:

ALSO

Where was it, it wasnt on the list (Children of Men)

I agree it is the best sci fi film in the past ten years and I think has a chance for top 3 of all time.

BUUUT. i wasnt the third caller so i dont win the concert tickets

Whoever edited Somewhere in Time back in at 46. mistakenly took out Children of Men instead of Children of the Damned and for that alone deserves to be fired.

I looked down that whole list of 128 and saw no Children of Men and was like WHAT! (what a buncha maroons!)
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hellboy
    Despicable Me
    Ghostbusters
    Back to the Future I

These films all need (IMHO) reconsideration. Also the main "Trilogy's" taking up 3 slots. Just make the trilogy one entry. There are certainly other deserving films. Sorry Jean, but BTTF is "fun with time travel" and really shouldn't count as a true "SYFY" IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

a suggested solution:

1 open the field to more than 128.
    2 Allow longer time than 12 hours for people to participate
    3 Allow more time for discourse on what "is" and"isnt"
    4 Watch the majority choose the correct answer to number 3 EVEN IF you allow "questionable" Films (Despicable Me? X-Men?) to be nominated
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just re-read the posts, Children of Men was nominated at #46.

Needfulthings swapped his choice of Children of the Damned for Somewhere in Time at #49 but the wrong film got deleted.

The list should read #46 Children of Men and #49 Somewhere in Time.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I just re-read the posts, Children of Men was nominated at #46.

Needfulthings swapped his choice of Children of the Damned for Somewhere in Time at #49 but the wrong film got deleted.

The list should read #46 Children of Men and #49 Somewhere in Time.

Says the guy with an AK-47? LOL J/K I thought a little levity was in order. LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Hellboy
    Despicable Me
    Ghostbusters
    Back to the Future I

These films all need (IMHO) reconsideration. Also the main "Trilogy's" taking up 3 slots. Just make the trilogy one entry. There are certainly other deserving films. Sorry Jean, but BTTF is "fun with time travel" and really shouldn't count as a true "SYFY" IMHO
    IMHO a movie from a franchise such as Star Wars should be regarded on it's individual merits rather than the whole. The Empire Strikes Back is regarded as being one of finest sci-fi films ever made, so having it tarnished by comparing it with the uber shit Phantom Menace is just not on.

Back to the Future is definitely pure Sci-fi and is also regarded as being one of the most important movies within the genre...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088763/?ref_=nv_sr_1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Future

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hellboy
    Despicable Me
    Ghostbusters
    Back to the Future I

IMHO a movie from a franchise such as Star Wars should be regarded on it's individual merits rather than the whole. The Empire Strikes Back is regarded as being one of finest sci-fi films ever made, so having it tarnished by comparing it with the uber shit Phantom Menace is just not on.

Back to the Future is definitely pure Sci-fi and is regarded as one of the most important movies within the genre...

I won't comment further on BTTF, but taking 3 spots for the "Star Wars" movies does not seem right. I agree ESB is the better of the three, but are you really gonna watch it without watching IV and VI? Notice I grouped the films into trilogy's, so no need to associate them with I,II,III if you do not want to.

Example: You would judge LOTR on it's own vs. The Hobbit, yes?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Hellboy
    Despicable Me
    Ghostbusters
    Back to the Future I

Back to the Future is definitely pure Sci-fi and is regarded as one of the most important movies within the genre...

I won't comment further on BTTF, but taking 3 spots for the "Star Wars" movies does not seem right. I agree ESB is the better of the three, but are you really gonna watch it without watching IV and VI? Notice I grouped the films into trilogy's, so no need to associate them with I,II,III if you do not want to.

As a solution, I think it would be fairer to have a limit of only one nomination per franchise. That way, there is only one vote for a Star Wars movie, one vote for a Back to the Future movie and so on...

That way, the best of each franchise would be represented and it would also free up space for other films to be nominated.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

YES..... CHILDREN OF MEN is IN & CHILDERN OF THE DAMNED #49 is OUT.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hellboy
    Despicable Me
    Ghostbusters
    Back to the Future I

As a solution, I think it would be fairer to have a limit of only one nomination per franchise. That way, there is only one vote for a Star Wars movie, one vote for a Back to the Future movie and so on...

That way, the best of each franchise would be represented and it would also free up space for other films to be nominated.
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other, but yes that would work as well. Seems a little fairer as well. Nice job, T-Dogz!!!

"Reloaded" was my favorite "Matrix" film. FWIW
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Alright guys. Firstly, I must apologize - as I discussed with another member on here, this is the first genre specific tournament I've hosted (I was only a helping hand for the Horror contest lol) and I wasn't prepared for the kind of obstacles we've run into during this nomination process. In the past the nominations have gone on for the better part of one or two days so I felt confident that several people would have a chance to get their nominations in, as we all saw, it didn't work out that way and I apologize to those who were left out in the cold. I should have done a better job. Perhaps next time we'll increase the threshold to 5 films between votes.

Now, it looks like there are a couple films on here whose eligibility is being contested. What I propose is that we compile a list of any films you all feel do not belong in the tournament. In order for that film to remain on the table, it must be 2nd by another member on here. If it is not, the member who nominated it in the first place must choose another film to take its place.

What say you all?

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

That way, the best of each franchise would be represented and it would also free up space for other films to be nominated.[/QUOTE]
    BULLSHIT ... EACH MOVIE STANDS ALONE.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Hellboy
    Despicable Me
    Ghostbusters
    Back to the Future I

I changed Hellboy to Source Code, I thought someone would have a problem with it

Country
    Country Flag

Looking at the list there are a few franchises that could be clipped to only one nomination in order to free up space...

Star Wars Episodes IV, V and VI
    Terminator 1 & 2
    The Quatermass Experiment 1 & 2
    Mad Max 1 & 2
    Alien & Aliens

If we clip these films to only one nomination per franchise, it would free up an additional 6 spaces for films to be chosen by people who have not yet voted.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Changed No. 123 to Source Code

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast