Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: 300: Rise of an Empire

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Default 300: Rise of an Empire

Seeing as how it's the first day of Nowruz, it's fitting that I give my review of Zack Snyder's latest attempt at retelling the second Persian invasion of Greece. We also delve into some of Frank Miller's other work depicted on the big screen.

http://american-rattlesnake.org/2014...-of-a-podcast/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Zack Snyder is a hack. He shouldn't even be allowed to drive into a studio's lot.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll say this much for him, his remake of Dawn of the Dead is superior to the original.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. That was before he was like GREEEEEEENNNNNNNN SSSCCCRRREEEEENNNNNNNNN. He's one of those directors that isn't talentless but relies far too much on style and effects and flash. He could be more than a one trick pony but he probably feels he's good with the atatus quo

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't disagree with that assessment.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I might give this 300 film a chance. I liked the 300 in theatres but when I watched it again I saw just how many problems it had. The guy who reviewed it on Ebert's site gave it 2 1/2 stars and he did not like the original at all, so that's something.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Zack Snyder is a hack. He shouldn't even be allowed to drive into a studio's lot.
    And there goes your credibility. With all due respect, how many major motion pictures have you directed? How many industry folk have sought out your impressions? This seems rather harsh in light of the fact that the answers to my questions are, "none". Let the guy make a living. You don't respect him? Don't go to see his film. Just saying.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't see his films. A one trick pony is a one trick pony, it doesn't matter from what perspective you're looking at it from. Your stance isnt much of a stance, you're essentially saying if you haven't done it you can't criticise it. Which probably nullifues about 90% of the criticism you've made in your lifetime. I suppose even a respected film critic such as Ebert can't say Transformers sucks because he hasn't made umpteen blockbusters like Michael Bay? If you don't like people who haven't been therr and done that talking about how other people went there and did that, the internet is not the place for you.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I don't see his films. A one trick pony is a one trick pony, it doesn't matter from what perspective you're looking at it from. Your stance isnt much of a stance, you're essentially saying if you haven't done it you can't criticise it. Which probably nullifues about 90% of the criticism you've made in your lifetime. I suppose even a respected film critic such as Ebert can't say Transformers sucks because he hasn't made umpteen blockbusters like Michael Bay? If you don't like people who haven't been therr and done that talking about how other people went there and did that, the internet is not the place for you.
    Pardon me, but if you do not view his film's how on earth are you qualified to review them? Just curious.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

FWIW, I prefer The 300 Spartans to Zack Snyder's interpretation. That said, it's a pretty good film for what it is, i.e. a comic book version of the Greco-Persian War.