Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which novels should advance?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Our Man in Havana, by Graham Greene

6 22.22%
  • Siddhartha, by Hermann Hesse

7 25.93%
  • The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood

9 33.33%
  • Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier

7 25.93%
  • The Last of the Mohicans, by James Fenimore Cooper

14 51.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top 100 Round 1-1, Group F

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Top 100 Round 1-1, Group F

In this round, consisting of two sub-rounds, we determine which of the 41 novels with 2 secondings will occupy the 11 slots left in the 100 list.

You can vote for as many as you like. Top 3 will advance to the next sub-round.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

everyone is very welcome to comment on the votes!

bears voted Our Man in Havana, The Last of the Mohicans, and Rebecca

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I voted Last of the Mohicans - Written by James Fenimore Cooper at Cooper's Cave. INcidentally I grew up about 5 miles from Cooper's Cave.

Cooper's Cave
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

ASST. HAVEN FUND WHORE SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

I went with The Last of the Mohicans, by James Fenimore Cooper as well.

It was a a favorite when I was younger.
    "We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones."

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Same as SirFolio16
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Coincidentally, I finished reading The Handmaid's Tale just a few days ago. It wasn't the greatest book, but it gets my vote by default.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Now Greene and du Maurier are losing to Hesse??? Totally unexpected...

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    It may be a matter of what's been read rather which is better.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

I'll make the other polls the way they show who voted. I want to know who these Siddhartha lovers are. The book put me to profound sleep after ten pages.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Rebecca's been sitting on my shelf for years
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

you know what? the movie is better!

(I feel weird saying this. I've only said it a few times in my life.)

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    It may be a matter of what's been read rather which is better.
    That's how it is with me. Out of all the books that we are currently voting on, I've only read two. They were ok but I have no idea if they are better or worse than the others I haven't read.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

You don't vote on what is better or worse. You vote if you feel that a given book should be in the Top 100. Nobody here has read all the nominated books.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

What a surprise, a good chance for Siddhartha, by Hermann Hesse

Not my copy.
    German first edition from S. Fischer / Berlin, 1922

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

You don't vote on what is better or worse. You vote if you feel that a given book should be in the Top 100. Nobody here has read all the nominated books.
    I guess my larger point was that it sucks that I won't be able to partake in the voting all that much.

Of all the books that had more than 2 votes, I've only read about a dozen of them. At least 3 of them I didn't like at all and definitely won't be voting for them.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

I see. We have 89 with 3+, and I have just counted how much I read of these - it's 66, so I won't be able to vote on all of them, either. By the way, we still have time to catch up... I've read at least two of the nominated books since the game began, and intend to read more.

Anyway, we can vote on those we've read. Of the 66, there are quite a lot that, to my mind, have no business being on the Top 100. So the point is we vote for what we've not only read, but loved enough to consider it worthy of the Top 100.

Country
    Country Flag

since it seems that everyone who was going to vote has already voted, the poll will be closed in 36 hours

there might be an additional tiebreaker poll between Siddhartha and Rebecca, if nothing changes

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll make the other polls the way they show who voted. I want to know who these Siddhartha lovers are. The book put me to profound sleep after ten pages.
    It's actually, to my mind, one of his most accessible and plain. But Hesse is well represented by The Glass Bead Game, I think. Rather hope instead we end up with more range.

Country
    Country Flag

I more or less liked The Glass Bead Game, and I loved Steppenwolf when I was a teenager, but frankly, I wouldn't like to see any of the three in the Top 100. Top 500, maybe.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, we could do better. Maybe... 2015?

Country
    Country Flag

Last chance to vote. The poll closes in four hours.

A tiebreaker is expected between Siddhartha and Rebecca

Country
    Country Flag

This poll is now closed.

The Last of the Mohicans and The Handmaid's Tale advance to the next round.

Siddhartha/Rebecca tiebreaker is here

+ Reply to Thread