Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Knowing Darkness w/ Whelan drawing

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    If anyone has a lead on one for sale, please contact me.

Edit: these are the two I own, but I am looking to acquire others.
    Lookwhoitis, see post #40, then get in line.
    Lol I thought that is what I just did, get in line. It is not like I hadn't seen this thread before. Share the wealth, Jefe

(and to any prospective sellers, RF Has TWO already and I have none, so make this Whelan fans day! )

Hey, that's "El" Jefe to you, my friend!! LOL LOL J/K

Best of luck to you!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Out of curiosity how much does an original Whelan art/remarque go for? Doesn't need to be SK related (though that would be cool). Not specifically the Knowing Darkness copies either, just in general. None on Ebay at the moment to compare.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Out of curiosity how much does an original Whelan art/remarque go for? Doesn't need to be SK related (though that would be cool). Not specifically the Knowing Darkness copies either, just in general. None on Ebay at the moment to compare.
    They go for a lot. Original b/w art by Whelan goes for a lot even.... Color??? Be prepared to pay. He doesn't take commissions anymore and there is not a lot of his stuff out there... no where near enough to meet demand. I will always be a huge fan and hope to add more of his work over time. My next conquest will be another larger oil on canvas. He is a master at his craft and brings things to life like no other artist in my opinion.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

A penciled drawing or illustration probably goes from anywhere around $600-$1500. His oils probably from $1900+ Now this is if they are King, Sanderson or other popular fantasy artist related those are usually the prices. I've seen some of his older stuff go on Ebay or Heritage for much less. I've seen some color work go for $300-$400 ish.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the info guys! A bit pricey, but I'd love to get one of his pencil works one day, a King or Moorcock inspired art would be especially cool.

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by east-tennessee View Post
    I have one........

I have had 2 inquries today asking if this was for sale or trade......Intrest in Whelan work as really grown, these would draw a premium price at this time, this is a real pride and joy of mine and I won't part with it. To me it represents the first sentence in the Gunslinger......"The Man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some "remarques" are absolutely beaufitul and it feels like a "waste" to just leave it closed in a book.
    What do you do guys? Do you leave the book opened on display? Do you leave it closed in a book (and somehow protected with something) and display a scan/printed version...?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have one........

I have had 2 inquries today asking if this was for sale or trade......Intrest in Whelan work as really grown, these would draw a premium price at this time, this is a real pride and joy of mine and I won't part with it. To me it represents the first sentence in the Gunslinger......"The Man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"
    This really is quite nice... Do you have it hung up?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aronstg View Post
    A penciled drawing or illustration probably goes from anywhere around $600-$1500. His oils probably from $1900+ Now this is if they are King, Sanderson or other popular fantasy artist related those are usually the prices. I've seen some of his older stuff go on Ebay or Heritage for much less. I've seen some color work go for $300-$400 ish.
    Agreed. Depending on the appeal of the piece, as well as size. Oils though go for much more than $1900... For a decent size I would say. I will tell you... They are very hard to find. In ALWAYS looking as is many other collectors. I only collect his DT stuff but have found some fantasy stuff for sale as well but passed.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Agreed. Depending on the appeal of the piece, as well as size. Oils though go for much more than $1900... For a decent size I would say. I will tell you... They are very hard to find. In ALWAYS looking as is many other collectors. I only collect his DT stuff but have found some fantasy stuff for sale as well but passed.

Oils don't go for much more than $1900 across the board. You actually picked up an Oil for $900. He also recently sold oils from his website for $1800 and $1900 respectively.

Country
    Country Flag

Oils don't go for much more than $1900 across the board. You actually picked up an Oil for $900. He also recently sold oils from his website for $1800 and $1900 respectively.
    That oil is also 6x8 actual... Maybe a lite bigger. He had a piece there larger that went for $4000. It was from Sisters. I am not sure what piece's your referring too. I had a long chat with David at Bett's and we both agree that oils will go for much more. There is not as many of them as well.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd sure like to find a DT related oil piece from Whelan where the image is>6"x8" and the price is only $900

Country
    Country Flag

I'd sure like to find a DT related oil piece from Whelan where the image is>6"x8" and the price is only $900
    Yeah it was a steal for sure RF. It was a concept cover for DT7. The image is almost 7 and the length is just over 9 if I remember correctly and a nice 3" wide frame. I would love a larger one but man they are a lot. The one David bought of Cort was 8x8 inches and he paid $2200!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

That oil is also 6x8 actual... Maybe a lite bigger. He had a piece there larger that went for $4000. It was from Sisters. I am not sure what piece's your referring too. I had a long chat with David at Bett's and we both agree that oils will go for much more. There is not as many of them as well.
    He also recently sold a 9x12 oil for $1900 and a 15x6 for $1800. So there are oils to be found at that price. I was trying to let the original inquirer know what an entry level oil would run. I'm not arguing that larger oils would go for more but there are pieces to be found at that price range that I quoted. I also don't think his larger piece from Sisters sold for 4k. It was up there for a long time and then they took it down. It wasn't marked as sold.

Country
    Country Flag

He also recently sold a 9x12 oil for $1900 and a 15x6 for $1800. So there are oils to be found at that price. I was trying to let the original inquirer know what an entry level oil would run. I'm not arguing that larger oils would go for more but there are pieces to be found at that price range that I quoted. I also don't think his larger piece from Sisters sold for 4k. It was up there for a long time and then they took it down. It wasn't marked as sold.
    No worries Aron! I was not arguing... I was unaware of the DT pieces that went for that price. I was comparing mine and Cort... Sisters does not show as sold.. your right. I wonder why they took it down. I would have bought if I had the cash. I really liked it. What shocks me, is the prices the b/w went for!!! They have one left and I think it is $1500!!! That is nuts but... it probably will go eventually.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Some "remarques" are absolutely beaufitul and it feels like a "waste" to just leave it closed in a book.
    What do you do guys? Do you leave the book opened on display? Do you leave it closed in a book (and somehow protected with something) and display a scan/printed version...?
    I try to find a solution for that at the moment, as i seam not to get a good way to take proper images from book drawings.
    If anybody has an idea i am open to everything.

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They have one left and I think it is $1500!!! That is nuts but... it probably will go eventually.
    i just monitore that one and see if this sells - because for me that would define a new level of pricing reached.
    As you say, its more or less nuts ;D

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Priest View Post
    I try to find a solution for that at the moment, as i seam not to get a good way to take proper images from book drawings.
    I did a solid for a member here and scanned the image at 1200DPI on a top of the line scanner. It was for his personal use and I did not mind helping out. There should be printers in your area that can do that for you for a small fee... then you can print a copy and frame it for your collecting room
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I did a solid for a member here and scanned the image at 1200DPI on a top of the line scanner. It was for his personal use and I did not mind helping out. There should be printers in your area that can do that for you for a small fee... then you can print a copy and frame it for your collecting room
    I have questions about the copyright legality of this, even if it IS for your personal use.

John

Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=jhanic;913475]
    I have questions about the copyright legality of this, even if it IS for your personal use.

John[/QUOTE

True.. I did it for free though. No money changed hands. But the question then becomes... who owns the remarque? If an artist does a remarque in the book does he still own it or you? Good question John.... I am leaning towards it being ok. Be neat to know the definitive answer on that... I may ask my company lawyer about it.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=webstar1000;913477]
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John[/QUOTE

True.. I did it for free though. No money changed hands. But the question then becomes... who owns the remarque? If an artist does a remarque in the book does he still own it or you? Good question John.... I am leaning towards it being ok. Be neat to know the definitive answer on that... I may ask my company lawyer about it.
    The artist would still own the rights to the drawing. You would only own that single physical copy. Now this can be discussed and an artist may sell the rights to the image as well for an extra fee but the majority of artists, I believe, would retain the rights to the image. So you couldn't just publish that image in anything for sale without compensating the artist for the art.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

They have one left and I think it is $1500!!! That is nuts but... it probably will go eventually.
    i just monitore that one and see if this sells - because for me that would define a new level of pricing reached.
    As you say, its more or less nuts ;D
    I think the reason it is priced that high is that it is actually two pieces framed together. Yes there are both small but they are two separate illustrations
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

It would be nice to display some of the remarques out there for sure!
    They are already on display all over the internet. Many have posted pics on this site and Thomas has a whole section on his site devoted to them.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    I think scanning and or copying in any way shape or form and then disseminating the material regardless of if money changes hands or not is copyright infringement. It's probably best just to not do it.
    Ouch. I suppose I'll have to take down the entire site.
    I can't "disseminate" the picture of my own framed original Whelan piece.
    Spoiler:

Damn dude, you just broke the whole 'net.
    <-----Quickly sells shares of Google, youtube, etc. before the definitive answer is released. Glad you broke it here first.

Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting stuff guys.

RF, please don't take down the site. Lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast