Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Facsimile Signatures-Yes or No?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • I abhor facsimile signatures

50 74.63%
  • I would prefer a facsimile signature over no signature at all

17 25.37%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Facsimile Signatures In Limited Editions

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Facsimile Signatures In Limited Editions

It is my perception that most Collectors would prefer a real signature, or none at all.
    What is the general view on the use of facsimile signatures?

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I suppose if it was a pretty cool gift edition with very well done art, I would be ok with a facsimile signature. But otherwise, I don't see the point.

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

Of course I would prefer a real signature but, it dosen't bother me to have a facsimile signature if it's a limited edition book and they all have one.
    I don't think I would want a trade edition with a book plate facsimile signature in it.

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Facsimile signature means nothing to me and only is worth the costs of the ink for this few letters. It is absolutely no justification for a higher price or any need to be in a book! imho!

Citizen of Gilead Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it is ok if other options are offered. As an example if the 25th anniversary IT gift edition had a facsimile, but you had the option of a real signature in the more limited editions.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I voted abhor, but there are a few exceptions if the volume is very well done: I'm thinking of the "gift" editions published in the UK with the facsimile signatures. Those were okay. I certainly wouldn't pay much extra though.

John

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no averson to them. I just don't feel they warrant extra $s. Basically I would choose a well designed trade edition above a lesser designed gift edition. I would choose between two gift editions based on design of the books and would really pay no mind either way to a fakesimile signature was included. I voted that I abhor them, but only because there wasn't an option to reflect my indifference to them.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Facsimile is like plastic fruit.
    WHY???

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    WHY???

I don't hate them, I just don't see the purpose. Are they actually considered a selling point by the publishers?
    If given the choice, I certainly wouldn't pay more to have one added to a book.

I've always wondered if there was a reason that publishers add them. Is there some kind of history behind it?
    Mark Twain

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I would rather have an unsigned, numbered gift edition.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorites are the idiots on ebay who advertise a signed book when they mean the embossed sig on the front board of a book. LOL

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm a little less "picky" I guess. A LE is a LE and while I prefer a real sig if, that's all there is (UK UTD comes to mind) it is what it is. Sigh.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

For me they are a detraction from the book. They can be confusing for a very new collector and add nothing to a book.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Just print to me.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Coulrophobia View Post
    I think it is ok if other options are offered. As an example if the 25th anniversary IT gift edition had a facsimile, but you had the option of a real signature in the more limited editions.
    The gift edition of "The 25th Anniversary Edition of IT" didn't have a facsimile signature, it had no signature at all.

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have no idea why they would include a facs sig. I don't see the point at all. There are ones on covers that I see as just decoration and I don't mind, but why include them in the book at all is beyond me. To me it just confuses buyers in the after market venues and give sellers just one more way to try to rape people that don't have the knowledge they should. The publishers don't care about after market stuff, which is fine, but it seems to me they are trying to do about the same thing, jack up the price due to a "sig" being in the book, when that sig is worth nothing but the price of the ink.
    Christine

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineB View Post
    I have no idea why they would include a facs sig. I don't see the point at all. There are ones on covers that I see as just decoration and I don't mind, but why include them in the book at all is beyond me. To me it just confuses buyers in the after market venues and give sellers just one more way to try to rape people that don't have the knowledge they should. The publishers don't care about after market stuff, which is fine, but it seems to me they are trying to do about the same thing, jack up the price due to a "sig" being in the book, when that sig is worth nothing but the price of the ink.
    I guess I find myself in a "weird" minority as I still view it as a "Ltd Edition" meaning a restricted and finite print run. Of course, a real sig supersede's but certain "Ltd's" (generally UK) appeal to me as a UK 1/1 collector in addition to U.S. Then again, my collection, my rules, as with all others.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

INSOMINIA U.K. SPECIAL LIMITED EDITIONS
    LEFT FACSIMLE 1/2,000 AUTHORIZED BY KING WITH SLIPCASE. RIGHT REAL SIGNATURE 1/200 NO SLIPCASE.

WHICH IS THE BETTER LOOKING BOOK? IT IS.... WHAT IT IS!

Citizen of Gilead Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

My question which is better a real signature on the page or a real signature on a bookplate? Seems like I being someone that does not own a book with a bookplate will the adhesiveness break down then fall off leaving residue?

WHY???

FOR THE 1,800 WHO DID WITHOUT THE REAL THING.FOR THE $$$$$$$$$. WHY DID KING AUTHORIZE A 2nd 10,000 PRINT RUN OF THE GUNSLINGER?.. I WANT ONE TOO.

Quote Originally Posted by Coulrophobia View Post
    My question which is better a real signature on the page or a real signature on a bookplate? Seems like I being someone that does not own a book with a bookplate will the adhesiveness break down then fall off leaving residue?
    A SIGNATURE SIGNED IN FRONT OF YOU.

WHICH ONE DO YOU KNOW IS REAL?

Spoiler:
    BOTH OF COURSE & HOW DO I KNOW? BECAUSE I HAD THE ONE ON THE RIGHT SIGNED .

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineB View Post
    Agreed and well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    My favorites are the idiots on ebay who advertise a signed book when they mean the embossed sig on the front board of a book. LOL
    How about the idiots who buy them and pay the extra premium for the signature?

WHY???
    DITTO! Also well said
    reality continues to ruin my life

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, those are bad, but I just kinda' feel sad for them.

If you rescue me

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Barry Hoffman from Gauntlet Press published an interesting article today regarding facsimile signatures:
    http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/5...41/584f672cea/

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Barry Hoffman from Gauntlet Press published an interesting article today regarding facsimile signatures:
    http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/5...41/584f672cea/
    The PS Editions with Faxsimile signatures all sold out, making the small publisher lots of money to keep them in business.

Q. What is Gauntlet Press' beef? They should be supporting small publishers to the end of the earth. (We are all in this together.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast