49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fine no problem with rubbing

14 28.57%
  • Damaged due to rubbing/ink transfer

35 71.43%
Page 87 of 117 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 97 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 2918

Thread: The Shining S/L from Subterranean Press

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonaldj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    I was initially surprised there was such a high % of issues in the poll.

Then I realized people are far more likely to comment with problems than if everything is perfect. Kind of like if you have bad food at a restaurant - you complain.

The blue fingers post has me concerned with some long term durability issues.
    The issue with that view is the only complaints we will see are people who are on here. And people who actually open the books.

And I disagree with the food analogy - everyone who receives limiteds on here usually posts awesome comments on how much they like it when they receive it.
    Title of the poll is: "Rubbing Damage To S/L The Shining" not did you love your book.
    I general, people are more likely to complain than praise-certainly when it comes to food and hospitality.
    This is a distinctly different issue. It appears that (and SubPress has admitted such) that there was a manufacturing/production issue as well as a post production issue with ink transference to the traycase.
    It's a small sample size, but if >80% of the books are flawed it is a shame in all regards-essentially few if any will "love the book".

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Then I realized people are far more likely to comment with problems than if everything is perfect. Kind of like if you have bad food at a restaurant - you complain.

Did you buy a copy?
    If you have received it, what condition is it?

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by subpress View Post

That said, there's no way books should have been sent from the printer with these issues, and I'll be taking that up with them.

I hope to know more in the coming days, and will share what I learn. This won't be a lightning fast process, though. Once I bring my printer into the process, they'll want to thoroughly investigate things on their end before getting back to me. Sometimes this is a matter of a few days; sometimes it takes weeks.
    Best,
    Bill
    Glad to hear a full investigation will be done, and agree that the printer should not have released the books with these issues. I want to feel confident with future SubPress purchases and knowing you discovered the why fors and how comes of this problem, so its not repeated, will greatly help.
    reality continues to ruin my life

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

This wont be the limited DJ will it?

reality continues to ruin my life

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post

I hope not.

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Will you be selling damaged copies to those who missed out on the original sale and who can put up with the damage?

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL!

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

I hope not.
    OMG! They Killed Danny!

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad to hear a solution has been offered, and I agree with the comments above that it sounds fair considering the situation. Fingers crossed my copy hasn't been affected, but I'll accept that offer if need be.

I guess this issue will have an impact on the secondary market, with fine copies commanding a premium.

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree that this would seem to be the best solution given that so many are damaged.
    Im curious though, and hope you dont take this the wrong way Bill, but from your post it sounds like you were aware of the issue before the books were shipped out because you state the damage is a result of manufacturing and not shipping?
    If the damage occurred during manufacturing then couldnt you have had the manufacturer fix the problem before they were shipped out to the customers?

Bill,

In light of the circumstances, I do not see how you could offer anything more generous than the above. I will have to think it over though.

Thanks for both the timely response and for stepping up here.
    No offense taken. This is a good question. While folks in the wider world are just seeing this book, for me it's been done for some months, as I first saw a sample copy from our printer, then a traycase prototype from that manufacturer. I don't think I've picked up a copy twice since, and didn't notice anything amiss when I was approving the traycase prototype. For me, life had moved on to newer books in production and contracts, etc.

That said, there's no way books should have been sent from the printer with these issues, and I'll be taking that up with them. By the same token, my shipping crew is usually very good at weeding out those books in a print run that don't make the cut. My guess is that they have been shipping the best copies -- I know there are rejects, because I've seen (but not closely examined) that pile.

I hope to know more in the coming days, and will share what I learn. This won't be a lightning fast process, though. Once I bring my printer into the process, they'll want to thoroughly investigate things on their end before getting back to me. Sometimes this is a matter of a few days; sometimes it takes weeks.

Best,

Bill
    Bill, thanks for the more than fair solution! Should we send you pics of color transfer inside the traycase?

Ken

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I took a soft microfiber towel and lightly buffed the boards of my copy and this is what came off of it. More would probably come off on skin because of the moisture/oils but I figured this would help minimize the spread of the blue.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Still waiting on my copy - but I do appreciate all of Bill's responses over the past few days - as well as a way to help remedy any issues with the books.
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Along the Path of the Beam subpress is a jewel in the rough subpress is a jewel in the rough subpress is a jewel in the rough

We'll send out an email later this week on how to take us up on our offer. If you'd hold off sending me pics for now, I'd appreciate it. We need to put a few procedures in place to process requests efficiently.

By the way, we'll be bagging the books inside the traycases starting tomorrow, so there should be no additional occasions of traycase staining from then on.

Best,

Bill

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jon10g View Post
    Will you be selling damaged copies to those who missed out on the original sale and who can put up with the damage?
    Good question.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Along the Path of the Beam subpress is a jewel in the rough subpress is a jewel in the rough subpress is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Good question.
    That's something we're unlikely to consider until we sort returns/refunds out.

Bill

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Bill,

I think the offer is generous, however, since not ALL books with have it since you are implementing a fix I think that just devalued a lot of books and placed a premium on others. Not that I would ever sell mine, but it is the principle of the matter. I am not sure if the solution you offered is the final one but I think that is something to consider about the ones that are damaged.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

i put two archival comic bags on the front and back areas of the tray case on mine.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Good question.
    That's something we're unlikely to consider until we sort returns/refunds out.

Bill
    I understand completely. When and if this all gets sorted out it would be nice to have another bite at the apple. For now, you obviously have a lot on your plate.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Kingfan, I'm not sure that the publisher needs to take in to consideration future value of a book. Or do they?

Personally I think that their responsibility is about providing the best product they can, and then in failing that, offer the best solution they can if issues arise. Resale of their products probably doesn't fall in to those categories.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Everyone who chooses to keep their copy will receive:
    1. A replacement traycase upon receipt of proof that yours suffered from more than minimal color transfer;
    2. A dust jacket created especially for the limited edition;
    3. A coupon code good for $40 off any purchase later this year through the SubPress website.
    4. A lap dance from Stephen King.

That's fair!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JXE View Post
    I don't buy many expensive books; but when I have they've never showed up like this. Is this common in this hobby? It seems to me like this is a real amateur job all around, especially considering a high profile project like this.
    It's uncommon. Boards of hand marbled paper are uncommon too. I think there were a combination of factors that caused this. The type of ink, the type of adhesive, the curing time, off-gassing while confined in a traycase, no dustjacket, etc.. Some books are far worse than others. Most of the damage wasn't apparent prior to shipping. No publisher wants this to happen. It really sucks.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Good question.
    Thanks for asking...I was wondering the same thing. Sounds like we'll wait and see.

Gunslinger Apprentice mcdonaldj will become famous soon enough mcdonaldj's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

Did you buy a copy?
    If you have received it, what condition is it?
    Yes, damaged copy, posted and voted yesterday

Traveler Merlin6399 is on a distinguished road

Bill,

First of all - thanks for being open and accepting responsibility for the issues. King fans are very particular about their books....and rightfully so given the prices that we pay for them. I also understand that it is a very busy time for you right now, but was hoping you could answer a couple of quick questions.

1) Were the printing processes different for the Lettered copies? AT $2500.00 each, I don't want there to even be potential of rubbing or transference if I so much as look inside the book.

2) If the answer to #1 is no, the printing process were not different, will you be going back to the printers to correct the problems for the Lettered editions, even if it means further delays?

Again, I appreciate you willingness to discuss the problems and wish you and all involved the ability to be patient as it all gets worked out.

Thanks,
    Kinn Kinney

The problem with the limiteds was in the binding process, not the printing. The lettereds are off being hand bound in different material than the limiteds, so I don't anticipate a repeat of the problems.

Best,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin6399 View Post
    Bill,

First of all - thanks for being open and accepting responsibility for the issues. King fans are very particular about their books....and rightfully so given the prices that we pay for them. I also understand that it is a very busy time for you right now, but was hoping you could answer a couple of quick questions.

1) Were the printing processes different for the Lettered copies? AT $2500.00 each, I don't want there to even be potential of rubbing or transference if I so much as look inside the book.

2) If the answer to #1 is no, the printing process were not different, will you be going back to the printers to correct the problems for the Lettered editions, even if it means further delays?

Again, I appreciate you willingness to discuss the problems and wish you and all involved the ability to be patient as it all gets worked out.

Thanks,
    Kinn Kinney

Page 87 of 117 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 97 ... LastLast