49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fine no problem with rubbing

14 28.57%
  • Damaged due to rubbing/ink transfer

35 71.43%
Page 65 of 117 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 115 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 2918

Thread: The Shining S/L from Subterranean Press

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

think there has been some discussion earlier about this but I guess I am just slow because I am not understanding this concern about lack of publicity. Lack of publicity on the day (and prior to the day) the book went on sale worked to our advantage. We were all able to easily place our orders. Had there been worldwide print and media exposure and publicity the website would have surely crashed. As it was (IIRC) it went rather smoothly.

Publicity usually costs money and by not buying publicity Bill Schafer has a larger profit margin for Sub Press on this particular book. Again, that seems like a good thing to me.

I'm not saying people are wrong for feeling the way that they do I am just trying to understand why some feelings are hurt or why some people feel offended by all of this. It seems like Sub Press wins and the plugged in collectors (i.e. TDT.org members) have won too. And the book did eventually sell out.
    I agree with Bob. Not to sound selfish or uppity, but anything that makes it easier for us (me) to buy a book that I want to buy without having to fight websites or other people is more than welcome. I don't feel badly for the rest of the world's reading populace ... if they care and are interested enough, with a little bit of homework they can find out about new publications the same way we do. It's when something is advertised greatly that Joe Schmoe jumps on board solely for the purpose of getting a King collectible, just knowing it'll be worth money. He couldn't care less about collecting King for King, or reading, or enjoying.

My two cents.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm one of those people that wants the books I buy to sell out.

I guess I like the idea of knowing that something I own is in demand.....even if I have no intention of selling.

That being said, I don't think it is a publisher's job to make a customer excited about a purchase he or she has already made.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure I really understand the debate here. The book sold out, we all (pretty much) got what we wanted and are relatively satisfied, right? So why the debate? Pardon my ignorance on the subject.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    I don't care if they sell out but they give virtually no publicity to what is considered a classic book that they have the good fortune to be publishing
    I think there has been some discussion earlier about this but I guess I am just slow because I am not understanding this concern about lack of publicity. Lack of publicity on the day (and prior to the day) the book went on sale worked to our advantage. We were all able to easily place our orders. Had there been worldwide print and media exposure and publicity the website would have surely crashed. As it was (IIRC) it went rather smoothly.

Publicity usually costs money and by not buying publicity Bill Schafer has a larger profit margin for Sub Press on this particular book. Again, that seems like a good thing to me.

I'm not saying people are wrong for feeling the way that they do I am just trying to understand why some feelings are hurt or why some people feel offended by all of this. It seems like Sub Press wins and the plugged in collectors (i.e. TDT.org members) have won too. And the book did eventually sell out.
    Completely agree. It's The motherfuckin' Shining. What advertising is necessary? Unless it was overproduced, it was going to sell out eventually. Why spend money on ads? And where? High cost collectible editions is incredibly niche. I wouldn't even begin to guess where advertising dollars would be well spent. The people who typically buy these things know about the book due to communities like this one.

Spending [wasting] money on creating a frenzy among non-hardcore collectors would be incredibly foolish, imo. If they were needing to sell 5000 copies, maybe. 1500? No way. Bill made the right call. Money allocated for advertising dollars would just raise the cost for customers.

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

I like to be excited for a book that I love especially when it is being published in a deluxe edition. The fact that I was able to obtain a copy means nothing if I'm not excited about what I'm buying. I don't care about bills profit margin. That's his issue. Show a little enthusiasm for a classic book.
    What does that mean, exactly?

You're not excited by the thing itself? You need to see ads plastered all over the place somewhere to know that you want something? I don't even think I completely understand what you mean, because as it is, what it seems you're saying is that you eagerly enjoy not thinking for yourself and being a mindless consumer. Please feel free to change my mind about that. Because I can't get my mind around what it is you're upset about.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I have asked this question before but I either didn't understand the answer or didn't get much response. When this book was announced I was happy to be able to place my order and get the editions I wanted. For me that was enough and then began the long wait for the book to be published. I didn't care when or if any of the editions sold out. My collection had been taken care of and I had gotten what I wanted.

I continue to be puzzled by the attention paid to how many copies remain to be sold and how fast they are selling. And some collectors really seem to take it personally that a book doesn't sell as quickly as they think it should. Obviously we are of different mindsets on this issue. I'm just happy knowing the books I wanted to buy will someday come. Can anyone enlighten me on collector mindsets who are taking this personally or are upset that sales seemed to be lagging?
    It is probably the collectors who were planning on buying multiples and flipping for profit who are butthurt over the lukewarm marketing.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    I would not count on that.

The GE of Doctor Sleep has yet to sell below retail.....and this title has an even lower print run.

I'm not saying you will pay a huge mark-up (maybe 25-50%), but I just don't see this title at this print run selling below issue price any time soon.

But then again, I was surprised it took 11 months to sell out (it was marketed rather poorly though).
    Completely agree.

The numbers support a high demand for this edition. 1500 is quite a low run for such a beloved book. DT V and VI gift editions had higher limitation runs and now sell for 3+ times issue price.
    IT 25th had a limitation of 2750 and now you're lucky to find a copy for under $300.

There may be some copies sold for around issue price by people wishing to unload them to get their money back if they need it, but the long term value will almost certainly appreciate, and in my opinion, that will be a considerable amount.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by neosatus View Post
    I don't care if they sell out but they give virtually no publicity to what is considered a classic book that they have the good fortune to be publishing
    I think there has been some discussion earlier about this but I guess I am just slow because I am not understanding this concern about lack of publicity. Lack of publicity on the day (and prior to the day) the book went on sale worked to our advantage. We were all able to easily place our orders. Had there been worldwide print and media exposure and publicity the website would have surely crashed. As it was (IIRC) it went rather smoothly.

Completely agree. It's The motherfuckin' Shining. What advertising is necessary? Unless it was overproduced, it was going to sell out eventually. Why spend money on ads? And where? High cost collectible editions is incredibly niche. I wouldn't even begin to guess where advertising dollars would be well spent. The people who typically buy these things know about the book due to communities like this one.

Spending [wasting] money on creating a frenzy among non-hardcore collectors would be incredibly foolish, imo. If they were needing to sell 5000 copies, maybe. 1500? No way. Bill made the right call. Money allocated for advertising dollars would just raise the cost for customers.
    Yeah. I don't really see much in the way of advertising period of LE books outside of the usual places like Liljas-library and whatnot.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Today a newsletter from SubPress went out and there was no mention of the book whatsoever. As I mentioned above, I don't think it is the publisher's job to get me "excited" about my purchase, but it is his or her job to keep his customers informed (IMO). A couple sentence update would have been appreciated.....especially since by his last update, the GEs should be in his hands now.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well he said they'd start shipping mid-January so we have still about a week.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

There's a few pics of the Limited (and traycase) on Subpress' Twitter today. https://twitter.com/subpress (because posting pics here is still too much like math to me).

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if I like the pale blue spine LUCKILY it will be hidden behind the dust jacket & only once see the light of day. Kind of a nice classic look to the traycase for an old (?) classic book.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    There's a few pics of the Limited (and traycase) on Subpress' Twitter today. https://twitter.com/subpress (because posting pics here is still too much like math to me).
    I'm good at math.

"One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Do you guys like it?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

Not even a little bit

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Not even a little bit
    What he said.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger Apprentice evilash is on a distinguished road evilash's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really like it. Maybe its just me but I appreciate that it doesn't look like every other limited edition.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I WANT to like it, but am a bit underwhelmed at the moment.... The classical look of the tray case doesn't really match the feel of the dustjacket art IMO.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the book....lukewarm on the traycase.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Do you guys like it?
    Its like the person with the ugly kid. The Shining is my favorite book (along with Salem's Lot). I would like it no matter what it looks like! I was 16 and will never forget reading the Shining or Salems lot (or Cujo, Pet Semetary, Firestarter....).

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The DJ does not go well with the book and slipcase, IMO. But I kind of dig the look of the book/slipcase - I've always had a preference for understated (is that the right word?) S/Ls without DJs.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This might be one we have to hold to get a good feel for... I am going to reserve judgement until I get it in my hand
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    This might be one we have to hold to get a good feel for... I am going to reserve judgement until I get it in my hand
    That is how I feel too. I'll admit to not being overly impressed with the photos but they are not high quality photos. I think it will be a very nice book. Hope so anyway.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm confused. Is this the S/L'd edition? Or some sort of non-signed gift edition?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Tray cased -I assume S/L'd
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Page 65 of 117 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 115 ... LastLast