Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When has King's writing disturbed you the most?

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default When has King's writing disturbed you the most? *spoilers for various books*

For me it's the Patrick Hockstetter chapter in It. I've even skipped it on some rereads.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I can't remember specifics, but when the salesman kicked the dog to death and when the handcuffs were finally 'slipped' off in Gerald's Game. Both disturbed me.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

i would have to say the scene in needful things where the 2 woman go at each other with knives. The spilling of innards and visceral blood spraying was pretty intense the first time i read it.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Should we maybe mark spoilers or put it in the thread title? I think it's safe to say that many members, including myself, haven't read all of SK's books yet.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Two words: The End....very scary
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Pet Sematary, pretty much the whole book.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice RIC #520 will become famous soon enough RIC #520 will become famous soon enough

Anytime that he writes about old people in rest homes, etc. The future can be scary..

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    A pack of pre teens having sex in a sewer in IT.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler tags please, but list what book the spoiler is about so that I don't click everything! lol

For me, it's Gerald's Game:

Spoiler:
    The scene where she might or might not be seeing the deformed man in the corner, watching her. Best few paragraphs he's ever written.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Should we maybe mark spoilers or put it in the thread title? I think it's safe to say that many members, including myself, haven't read all of SK's books yet.
    Edited the title.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    i would have to say the scene in needful things where the 2 woman go at each other with knives. The spilling of innards and visceral blood spraying was pretty intense the first time i read it.
    That was pretty scary, but I gotta go with "Gerald's Game". First time I asked myself how Tabby could lay down next to a guy thinking these thoughts!!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    For me it's the Patrick Hockstetter chapter in It. I've even skipped it on some rereads.
    Yes, this, then the first quarter of Desperation, and that part in Pet Sematary where
    Spoiler:

he exhumes Gage

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

As a parent, it's usually the death of a child that bothers me. The 3 biggest ones are Cujo, Pet Semetary and The Stand.

Slight spoilers for those 3 books.

Spoiler:
    Pet Semetary where he talks about the cap full of blood when Gage gets hit by the truck.

The ending of Cujo obviously.

The couple of lines in The Stand where the little kid falls down an abandoned well and breaks his leg.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Pet Sematary
    this is something I don't want to remember at all. I have just reread Pet Sematary, and I read that part as if for the first time - I had forgotten it. Now I read it in your post, and I realized that I had forgotten it again. I am not a parent, but that was too much to take for me nevertheless. Now I hope I will forget it again.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    When I was young (before becoming a father) I found Pet Sematary to be SK's scariest book because of transformation of Gage into this Evil monster. The destruction of innocence was something that stayed with me. However, after becoming a father, the real horror of the story is the pain that Loise had to go through with the loss, ugly funeral, exhumation, and then second killing of his son. I have twin daughters about Gage's age and it makes me feel a little sick to my stomach when I read all those parts.
    Pet Sematary spoiler
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

That bit in Desperation where

Spoiler:
    Mary is locked in the 'storage' room where Tak keeps all of his spare bodies. That was disturbingly awesome.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Yes, I felt sick to my stomach after reading that. Definitely his most disturbing piece for me.
    Also most of Apt Pupil. It's scary that there's people out there that have no sense of right or wrong, or even care if they hurt someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Spoiler tags please, but list what book the spoiler is about so that I don't click everything! lol

For me, it's Gerald's Game:

Spoiler:
    The scene where she might or might not be seeing the deformed man in the corner, watching her. Best few paragraphs he's ever written.
    Yes! Not disturbing for me, but definitely the scariest moment! Still freaks me out.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

"The Man in the Black Suit" was one that kept be looking behind me, love that story.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The "Werewolf" scene in "IT" hit a chord for me!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Tommyknockers:

Spoiler:
    When you realize that Bobbi has cannabalized her beagle to power the machines under the influence of the alien ship. I cannot fathom vivisecting a loved pet!
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Country
    Country Flag

yes, this too...

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I was not surprised when Geralds Game was mentioned here fairly quickly. While hanging out in Barnes and Noble a bit I wandered about the bargain tables and came across a couple of King audio books I did not have. One of them I puchased was Geralds Game. I was spending a bit of time traveling so popped it into the car cd player and realized I did not recall reading it... The more I listened, the more I realized perhaps I had not read it before and it also had me wondering about what others (including Tabby) thought of the mindset to create this tale. Typically, I soon found myself amazed about how well King always developes charactors.... even ones not there.

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I first read the Langoliers as a freshman in college. I was living in a dorm close to the sports area, so there were a lot of athletes in the building, generally making lots of noise. However, on the night that I was reading this, there was absolutely no sound going on. I ended up having to get dressed and go down to the lobby of the building to make sure there were still people around.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

For me its the end of The Jaunt.

Spoiler:
    To date I can vividly picture the young boys craziness as he screams "longer than you think dad, longer than you think..."

Country
    Country Flag

oh no

it's one of the things I don't want to remember

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast