Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Insomnia, Rose Madder: Which is better?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can't sleep! Insomnia's better

24 70.59%
  • What's the Madder, Rose? Rose Madder's the clear winner

7 20.59%
  • I cannot tell them apart...

0 0%
  • Where did this come from?

3 8.82%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rose Madder vs. Insomnia

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

I take it that you boycotted "Avatar"?
    I didn't boycott it but I have never seen it and have no desire to see it.

I just finished listening to Rose Madder today, and I have to say I was right. Much better book than Insomnia, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Even before the supernatural stuff began, I really got into the story of Rose and Howard. Plus the narrators were great, King did the Howard parts and captured his creepiness and craziness perfectly. Sometimes I think King is putting a little bit of himself into those characters. Overall a great book and far better than Insomnia.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Nothing that SK has written, has been bad writing IMO. I hated Lisey's Story, but it was still good writing...even if it was bad gunky.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    it's just that I thoroughly hate it when literature goes metaphorical, especially if the metaphores are of this "none of this really happened" origin. I remember posting somewhere (at .net, I think) that the worst ending I could think of was Roland proving to be a cop who had gone mad and shot a dozen people on the streets of LA, and now is sitting in a straightjacket, delirious. (so yes, anyone has said that before, at least something like that)
    Funny you mention that as Stephen King said that's the type of ending he would have written if he did Lost.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

LOL, great minds, Cyber

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    [
    I just finished listening to Rose Madder today, and I have to say I was right. Much better book than Insomnia, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Even before the supernatural stuff began, I really got into the story of Rose and Howard. Plus the narrators were great, King did the Howard parts and captured his creepiness and craziness perfectly. Sometimes I think King is putting a little bit of himself into those characters. Overall a great book and far better than Insomnia.
    Don't you mean Norman? He's one of King's "best" bad guys.

John

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I mostly agree with mtdman's assessment. I did not like Insomnia at all. And I read it again last year to see if it got better once I was more familiar with all the Dark Tower tie-ins. Nope.

I've read Rose Madder once and enjoyed it. Certainly one I would like to read again.

And for what it's worth, I freakin LOVED Avatar. The IMAX 3-D blew me away.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It has been years since I read either book, but Rose Madder I really enjoyed, while Insomnia put me to sleep...

sk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Really don't understand the dislike for Insomnia. It's such a beautifully written, thoughtful novel.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I thoroughly enjoyed both books.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Really don't understand the dislike for Insomnia. It's such a beautifully written, thoughtful novel.
    That made me lol. Thanks.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

more grounds for a hearty laugh: I am totally with pablo as far as Insomnia is concerned

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And I was just listening to the recent Lilja podcast and they were talking about the possible film or miniseries of Insomnia. I agree with what was said by the director guy who wanted to adapt it (forgetting his name) - it's a very surreal novel. I loved it. I should really re-read it, but as always there's just so much yet unread.

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Not getting all the hate for Insomnia. I read it stand alone before the DT series and it was one of my favorite books. The fact that there is a tie in was just bonus. I was not that into Rose Madder. Maybe I should try again with the thought that the supernatural parts are metaphorical? I don't know if I can get through it again though. For me it wasn't so much of the fantastical being the turn off as the cliche of the abused woman.
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    more grounds for a hearty laugh: I am totally with pablo as far as Insomnia is concerned

Sorry the joke is only funny the first time.

And to whoever 'negged' me because I listened to the audio version, if it makes you feel better to do that then have at it. 90% of all of King's work that I've consumed has come through audio books, many read by the author himself. I get to listen to audio books all day as I work, and I've got no problems with it. Makes my job and my day that much better.

I can tell you one thing for sure, had I started out actually reading insomnia I'd never get past the first 2 chapters. Eli Wallach's narration was the only reason I held out and kept listening. Even that couldn't save it. As for Rose Madder, the dual narration with King reading the villain's parts was excellent. Who wouldn't want to hear King read his own works and his characterizations of his own characters?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm.... lots of folks around here do the audio book thing so I doubt it was that. Maybe it's because you seem to enjoy mocking people you don't know for their sincere opinions? ...nah, couldn't be that!

It wasn't me btw...I don't bother with giving negative reputation. I'd rather just say what I think.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Hmmm.... lots of folks around here do the audio book thing so I doubt it was that. Maybe it's because you seem to enjoy mocking people you don't know for their sincere opinions? ...nah, couldn't be that!

It wasn't me btw...I don't bother with giving negative reputation. I'd rather just say what I think.
    I'd have a lot more respect for someone if they called me out for that if that's how they felt, than making some nonsense comment about reading is fundamental. If someone has a problem with my opinions then come out and say it, don't cower behind some anonymous reputation system.

If anything, like I wrote, the audio version and the narrator made that book about twice as appealing than it would have been had I actually read it.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

No worries! I don't cower and I always say what I feel. And though I must concede the overwhelming respect shown in your dismisive post regarding Pablo's statement I personally don't much care if you respect or disrespect me. It matters none, for the reason that I don't hold much regard for people who go around senselessly and pointlessly being unpleasant and unkind. I don't/won't mock your opinions and viewpoint BECAUSE I don't find it funny; I find it kinda' sad and pathetic.

It IS however in fact absurd to state that you enjoyed a reading of a book more than you would enjoy reading the book yourself (when you haven't) unless of course you just don't like reading. The two experiences are vastly different and yield equally, but differing experiences. It's kinda' akin to saying any book is superior to another where you didn't actually read the books involved.

FWIW: I do LOVE King reading any of his stories. I love audiobooks and books themselves, but they are vastly differing experiences just as even if a movie follows a book precisely (It rarely happens) the experience is always very different.

If you rescue me

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

FWIW, From what I understand if, you had been "Negged" as you say, you would know who did it. That's the program. Since you don't know, maybe it was just someone trying to "Open you up" a bit. I can't say either way, but maybe some reflection is in order as Brice has intimated? Then again, I'm just the "Haven Whore", what do I know?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

It IS however in fact absurd to state that you enjoyed a reading of a book more than you would enjoy reading the book yourself (when you haven't) unless of course you just don't like reading. The two experiences are vastly different and yield equally, but differing experiences. It's kinda' akin to saying any book is superior to another where you didn't actually read the books involved.

FWIW: I do LOVE King reading any of his stories. I love audiobooks and books themselves, but they are vastly differing experiences just as even if a movie follows a book precisely (It rarely happens) the experience is always very different.
    I like to read, but I find that the audio book versions are far more entertaining. Part of it is in the way the narrator reads, the voices they use, how they create each character and make them different, the way they read various parts. When it comes to King reading his own stories, I'm always fascinated to hear what he does. The voices he creates, the way he reads, is vastly different from what I'd put in my own head and very entertaining. Ron McClarty's reading of Salem's Lot is part of the reason why I dig that book so much. He does a great job. On the other hand, the dunce that read Under the Dome was horrible, and it's part of the reason why I dislike that book. Other than the fact that it sucked.

My point when it comes to Insomnia is, I kept listening because it was Eli Wallach doing the reading, because his narration kept me at least partially interested. Had I read that book myself, I'd have given up becasue imo the prose itself isn't interesting enough to hold me in that book.

That's why when someone wrote it was 'beautifully written' I actually did laugh out loud. I couldn't disagree more. It's so diametrically opposed to my experience I had to laugh. There's no disrespect or mocking in that, I just find it amusing. Even though it was a bad book, imo, I can find some positives in the book. Being 'beautifully written' is not one of them.

And Merlin, I can't see who left any reputation for me, just the comments. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself and call yourself names. What you do is for a good cause.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post

I like to read, but I find that the audio book versions are far more entertaining. Part of it is in the way the narrator reads, the voices they use, how they create each character and make them different, the way they read various parts. When it comes to King reading his own stories, I'm always fascinated to hear what he does. The voices he creates, the way he reads, is vastly different from what I'd put in my own head and very entertaining. Ron McClarty's reading of Salem's Lot is part of the reason why I dig that book so much. He does a great job. On the other hand, the dunce that read Under the Dome was horrible, and it's part of the reason why I dislike that book. Other than the fact that it sucked.

My point when it comes to Insomnia is, I kept listening because it was Eli Wallach doing the reading, because his narration kept me at least partially interested. Had I read that book myself, I'd have given up becasue imo the prose itself isn't interesting enough to hold me in that book.

That's why when someone wrote it was 'beautifully written' I actually did laugh out loud. I couldn't disagree more. It's so diametrically opposed to my experience I had to laugh. There's no disrespect or mocking in that, I just find it amusing. Even though it was a bad book, imo, I can find some positives in the book. Being 'beautifully written' is not one of them.

And Merlin, I can't see who left any reputation for me, just the comments. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself and call yourself names. What you do is for a good cause.
    Yeah, it is a good cause, and the name calling helps donations!! LOL It's all in good fun. You make a very good point regarding audio I hadn't really considered. Me? I enjoy reading the book, but I can see your side as well. To each his own, right? I may give both a shot though.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Could someone leave me negative reputation please? I want to see if I can find where it's supposed to tell you who left it. It is supposed to say that somewhere.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't see who left the positive either.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Positive you shouldn't be able to see...negative you should. Go ahead and leave me negative if you would so I can see what's going on, please?

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Positive you shouldn't be able to see...negative you should. Go ahead and leave me negative if you would so I can see what's going on, please?
    I can't I have to spread it around before leaving it for you again.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, so you already left me negative reputation. LOL

Strange cause it never showed up at all.

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast