Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Your Ranking of King's Books

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    wow this is a daunting task. I will have to come back to it when im not working
    LOL
    I know what you mean, I've read nearly all of them and trying to rank them is giving me a slight panic attack

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Updating for Joyland.
    1. It
    2. The Shining
    3. Hearts in Atlantis
    4. Insomnia
    5. Black House
    6. Eyes of the Dragon
    7. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    8. The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla
    9. The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three
    10. The Dark Tower: The Waste Lands
    11. Under the Dome
    12. Duma Key
    13. 11/22/63
    14. 'Salem's Lot
    15. Desperation
    16. The Talisman
    17. The Stand
    18. Everything's Eventual
    19. Joyland
    20. Night Shift
    21. Nightmares and Dreamscapes
    22. On Writing
    23. Skeleton Crew
    24. The Long Walk
    25. The Dead Zone
    26. Blaze
    27. Rage
    28. The Dark Tower: The Wind through the Keyhole
    29. The Green Mile
    30. Firestarter
    31. Christine
    32. The Dark Half
    33. Bag of Bones
    34. Roadwork
    35. Different Seasons
    36. Dreamcatcher
    37. The Regulators
    38. The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass
    39. The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger
    40. From a Buick 8
    41. Four Past Midnight
    42. Cujo
    43. Carrie
    44. Danse Macabre
    45. The Plant
    46. Pet Sematary
    47. Misery
    48. Full Dark No Stars
    49. Rose Madder
    50. The Dark Tower: The Dark Tower
    51. The Dark Tower: Song of Susannah
    52. Just After Sunset
    53. Needful Things
    54. Cell
    55. The Running Man
    56. Lisey's Story
    57. Storm of the Century
    58. Cycle of the Werewolf
    59. Rose Red
    60. The Tommyknockers
    61. Thinner
    62. Dolores Clairborne
    63. Gerald's Game
    64. The Colorado Kid
    65. Blockade Billy
    66. Faithful
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I got to update mine with Joyland too, but I will have to wait a couple of days. If I do now, it will be in the top 5, and it probably shouldn't be. Loved it immensely.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, here is my two cents. I hope it's all inclusive. I had to categorize things in my head a bit. Sorry!

NOVELS
    1. IT
    2. The Stand
    3. Pet Sematary
    4. Salem’s Lot
    5. The Long Walk
    6. The Shining
    7. 11/22/63
    8. Joyand
    9. Thinner
    10. Rage
    11. The Talisman
    12. Christine
    13. Misery
    14. Blaze
    15. The Dead Zone
    16. The Green Mile
    17. Carrie
    18. Dolores Claiborne
    19. Cell
    20. Gerald’s Game
    21. Cycle of the Werewolf
    22. The Running Man
    23. Firestarter
    24. The Dark Half
    25. Desperation
    26. Insomnia
    27. Rose Madder
    28. Under the Dome
    29. Needful Things
    30. Eyes of the Dragon
    31. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    32. Cujo
    33. Duma Key
    34. Bag of Bones
    35. The Regulators
    36. Black House
    37. From a Buick 8
    38. The Colorado Kid
    39. Lisey’s Story
    40. Dreamcatcher
    41. Road Work
    42. Tommyknockers

DARK TOWER SERIES
    1. Wizard and Glass
    2. The Wastelands
    3. Wind Through the Keyhole
    4. Wolves of the Calla
    5. The Gunslinger
    6. Drawing of the Three
    7. The Dark Tower
    8. Song of Susanna
    9. Little Sisters of Eluria
    FAVORITE NOVELLAS
    1. The Mist
    2. The Body
    3. Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
    4. The Library Policeman
    5. Apt Pupil
    6. Blockade Billy
    7. 1922
    8. The Langoliers
    9. Big Driver
    10. Secret Window, Secret Garden
    11. The Sun Dog
    12. The Breathing Method
    13. Fair Extension
    14. A Good Marriage
    COLLECTIONS
    1. Night Shift
    2. Skeleton Crew
    3. Nightmares and Dreamscapes
    4. Everything’s Eventual
    5. Hearts in Atlantas
    6. Just After Sunset

NOVELLA COLLECTIONS
    1. Different Seasons
    2. Full Dark, No stars
    3. Four Past Midnight

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

DARK TOWER SERIES

Wizard and Glass
    The Wastelands
    Wind Through the Keyhole
    Wolves of the Calla
    The Gunslinger
    Drawing of the Three
    The Dark Tower
    Song of Susanna
    Little Sisters of Eluria

I thought that DOTT was hands down the best "TDT" novel, but after that I can't really disagree. The best "related novel" IMHO was "Black House", but he totally disrespected that one in the series for what I assume are legal/contractual reasons

Plus, I may have listed TWTTKH a little lower as it has no real impact on the over-riding story. Otherwise, good job!!.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I liken DOTT to that of the origin tale portion of the recent slew of superhero movies. I love to watch them, but they don't resonate as long with me.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Please check out: showthread.php?1780-Your-order-of-the-series.

To me, it's interesting that you place highly Pet Semetary and Thinner, and disheartening that you give Black House and Desperation such low position. I'm little hesitant to ask about Hearts in Atlantis.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

and he places my two personal favorites at 41 and 42

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed "Joyland", but I don't think I would rate it that high. It feels/reads like a Bachman novel to a degree.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I enjoyed "Joyland", but I don't think I would rate it that high. It feels/reads like a Bachman novel to a degree.
    I have not read Joyland yet, but I notice that Thinner, The Long Walk, and Rage all made his top 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't put either of those at very bottom. (Nor for that matter right at the top.)

Geez, this is all quite interesting, but I sure hope that Zaius doesn't start to feel like he's being ganged up on. More people's lists needed ASAP!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Please check out: showthread.php?1780-Your-order-of-the-series.

To me, it's interesting that you place highly Pet Semetary and Thinner, and disheartening that you give Black House and Desperation such low position. I'm little hesitant to ask about Hearts in Atlantis.
    I think that sometimes books just hit you differently at different points in ones life. Pet Semetary is a favorite because I was taking a course at Northeastern in horror fiction. The professor, Gary Goshgarian (who has written some fine horror novels under the name Gary Braver, brought in one of his friends to class to discuss a book we had read - yup, Stephen King. It was an amazing day. I still love the book, especially it's ending. I was actually in the middle of reading Thinner when word got out that it was actually Stephen King - so it resonates with me because I kept saying I should have known. Black House just didn't hit me well. I loved the Talisman and perhaps was hoping for more of the same. Desperation is great for the first 1/2 to 2/3, then it slows a bit. Still loved it, enough to have Don Maitz do his remarque in my limited edition.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry dude, but I really loathed (sorry for the strong wording) Tommyknockers! To each his own.

Thanks again for trying out Geek Love! ;-)

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting, I didn't feel Joyland had a Bachman Feel at all. I felt it was like something from King's Different Seasons era.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have not read Joyland yet, but I notice that Thinner, The Long Walk, and Rage all made his top 10.
    Yeah, I wouldn't put either of those at very bottom. (Nor for that matter right at the top.)

Geez, this is all quite interesting, but I sure hope that Zaius doesn't start to feel like he's being ganged up on. More people's lists needed ASAP!
    He seems like a very good guy (for a fucking Boston fan!!! LOL) and realizes we are just having a discussion, but good looking out, dude.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I learned a long time ago not take this kind of stuff personally - it's too subjective. I love The Long Walk because I have read it so many times - each year a group of my students ends up reading it for a book club assignment and I find so much more each time I explore it. Rage too, resonates with the teacher side of me. School shootings are part of my life, luckily only on the periphery. I hate the fact that Stephen King pulled it from publication - it's actually a quite brilliant exploration of an all to real life situation.

I do agree though, that when these lists get posted you had better be prepared for the fallout.

Jean - I am genuinely honored that you are taking the time to read Geek Love!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Sorry dude, but I really loathed (sorry for the strong wording) Tommyknockers! To each his own.

Here I am replying to myself. I meant to say I "loathed" the Tommyknockers MOVIE. The book itself was pretty good for the first 200 pages or so. The early parts reminded me of one of my favorite movies, The Thing (the original one from the 50s). Then the story became uninteresting for me.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never tried to rank King's works. What I like varies from almost day-to-day for me. There are some that I like more than others, but a ranking is out of the question.

John

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I've never tried to rank King's works. What I like varies from almost day-to-day for me. There are some that I like more than others, but a ranking is out of the question.

John
    I agree with you but wanted to give it a go!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

John
    I hear ya. For me, using somewhat broad categories was the way to go. I can easily see movement within a category, but probably not between groupings.

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    TOP SHELF; it doesn't get any better than this
    Black House
    Christine
    Danse Macabre
    Dead Zone, The
    Desperation
    Different Seasons
    Duma Key
    Firestarter
    Misery
    Night Shift
    On Writing
    Roadwork
    'Salem's Lot
    Shining, The
    Stand, The
    Waste Lands, The
    Wizard & Glass

Good quality call brand; always very enjoyable
    11/22/63
    Bag of Bones
    Creepshow
    Dark Tower, The
    Dolores Claiborne
    Everything's Eventual
    Four Past Midnight
    Full Dark, No Stars
    Green Mile, The
    Hearts in Atlantis
    It
    Joyland
    Just After Sunset
    Long Walk, The
    Pet Sematary
    Rage
    Rose Madder
    Running Man, The
    Secret Windows
    Skeleton Crew
    Thinner
    Under the Dome
    Wind Through the Keyhole, The
    Wolves of the Calla

House brand--on sale; okay in a pinch
    Blaze
    Blockade Billy
    Carrie
    Cell
    Colorado Kid, The
    Cujo
    Cycle of the Werewolf
    Dark Half, The
    Drawing of the Three, The
    Eyes of the Dragon
    From a Buick 8
    Girl who Loved Tom Gordon, The
    Gunslinger, The
    Lisey's Story
    Needful Things
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes
    Song of Susannah
    Storm of the Century

Rockgut; swill to avoid forevermore
    Dreamcatcher
    Gerald's Game
    Insomnia
    Regulators, The
    Talisman, The
    Tommyknockers, The

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Doctor Zaius, glad to have you in on this thread, and that your contribution has sparked it into discussion. I liked your list, a lot more than the one or two before it, but like everyone, we have some differing of opinion. With how much variance there can be in sixty-something choices, I felt the commonalities outweighed the differences though.

I thought of Bears when I saw those two so low, Jean.

Bill, I couldn't agree more about DOTT, total disagree on the Joyland analysis. I didn't see it as trying to return to Bachman, I thought it was King doing his take on crime-fiction--giving a tremendous homage to Westlake as well-- much like in [snippets of] The Dark Half. I also think it's top-shelf drawing on Dive's analogy.

Path, it's interesting, if I'm interpreting correct, that you hold Desperation in good regard while having contempt for Cell. I'm reading the former right now and the layout and writing of the book reminds me very much of the latter.

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting, I didn't feel Joyland had a Bachman Feel at all. I felt it was like something from King's Different Seasons era.
    Same here.

No, not the very top - that is reserved for It, The Stand, Black House, Desperation and Duma Key. But those two follow close.
    Geez, this is all quite interesting, but I sure hope that Zaius doesn't start to feel like he's being ganged up on.
    we are! we are!!!

Here I am replying to myself. I meant to say I "loathed" the Tommyknockers MOVIE.
    I loathed all King films with only two (possibly three) exceptions. Had nothing to do with how I felt about the novels, though.

John
    Yes, but it is stull fun. I wish you would share which ones are those you like more than others, too.

Country
    Country Flag

Updated List:

Books of my life:

IT
    The Stand
    Desperation
    Black House
    Duma Key
    Roadwork

Loved:

Pet Sematary
    Under the Dome
    Blaze
    Christine
    The Long Walk
    Carrie
    ‘Salem’s Lot
    The Tommyknockers
    From a Buick 8
    The Dead Zone
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    Misery
    Needful Things
    Joyland

Really good:

The Shining
    Cell
    Dreamcatcher
    The Dark Half
    Different Seasons
    Insomnia
    Four Past Midnight

Good:

Cujo
    Gerald's Game
    Rose Madder
    Dolores Claiborne
    The Talisman
    Cycle of the Werewolf

Average:

The Green Mile
    11/22/63
    The Running Man
    The Regulators
    Firestarter
    Bag of Bones
    The Colorado Kid

Didn't really care for:

The Eyes of the Dragon
    Just After Sunset
    Full Dark, No Stars
    Lisey's Story
    On Writing
    Hearts in Atlantis
    Thinner

Hated:

Rage

To Read:

Blockade Billy
    Storm of a Century

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stebbins View Post
    Path, it's interesting, if I'm interpreting correct, that you hold Desperation in good regard while having contempt for Cell. I'm reading the former right now and the layout and writing of the book reminds me very much of the latter.
    I never thought of that. Maybe because I first read Desperation years before Cell. On the other hand, maybe you won't feel that way all the way through the book. But, anyway, I'm not totally contemptuous towards Cell. Not my favorite by any means, that's all.

I loathed all King films with only two (possibly three) exceptions. Had nothing to do with how I felt about the novels, though.
    Did you ever watch The Green Mile?

BTW -- I just love The Colorado Kid. In fact, I just don't say so often enough. Love that book!

Country
    Country Flag

I watched the Green Mile, and fell asleep... just like I did while reading... I am really sorry, I know that everyone loves it!

I would enjoy Colorado Kid much more if not for the first-person narrative which seemed to me horrible. Otherwise, its a nice little thing.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I watched the Green Mile, and fell asleep... just like I did while reading... I am really sorry, I know that everyone loves it!
    That's okay. It's what I thought you'd say. Must be the one case where your loathing DID have something to do with how you felt about the novel. Sure is a well-made movie, opinions of the story aside.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast