Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 60 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1499

Thread: Joyland-Collecting Discussion

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Burnette View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    If you read a way back there is a quote from the publisher stating the reason the price was so low is because this one does not have all the bells and whistles of a normal limited edition. $40 for a hardcover edition of a 1,000 or so copies of a King book is ridiculously inexpensive.
    And yet, I still feel as if I overpaid for the product I received. Especially considering how crappy the art is.
    You do realize there are only 1500 US hardcover trade editions of this book, period.
    After the eBay hoopla is over, these will be swallowed up.
    For what it's worth in 3 years from now, 40 is cheap.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

If you read a way back there is a quote from the publisher stating the reason the price was so low is because this one does not have all the bells and whistles of a normal limited edition. $40 for a hardcover edition of a 1,000 or so copies of a King book is ridiculously inexpensive.
    And yet, I still feel as if I overpaid for the product I received. Especially considering how crappy the art is.
    You did overpay, as you could have purchased it locally and would only have paid $4 to ship it.

You could have cancelled your order with Forbidden Planet and bought it from NSFS.

Had you done so, you would have paid 40% less.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    After the eBay hoopla is over, these will be swallowed up.
    For what it's worth in 3 years from now, 40 is cheap.
    I'm not an investor, so that matters to me not even a tiny amount.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    You could have cancelled your order with Forbidden Planet and bought it from NSFS.

Had you done so, you would have paid 40% less.
    Good point. Unfortunately for me, once I knew that was an option, the money was already spent.

Don't get me wrong here. It's not a huge deal; it's not like I'm sitting around fuming about it. I just expected something better than what I actually got.

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

Yeah i think your kind of griping about something that was very reasonably priced. If you don't like it im sure you could return it to the publisher and someone else will purchase it. You also just could have bought the paperback. This was a collectible edition for collectors most of who do care about the resale value down the line.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah i think your kind of griping about something that was very reasonably priced. If you don't like it im sure you could return it to the publisher and someone else will purchase it. You also just could have bought the paperback. This was a collectible edition for collectors most of who do care about the resale value down the line.
    No, I'd rather complain about it and annoy people like you.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

"...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

Money well spent sir. You should get a slipcase for it and display it upon your shelf with pride.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Got my copy of the unsigned edition in the mail this week.

Eh...

I'm happy to have a hardback of the novel, but I feel like I paid way too much money for a book that really isn't any nicer than a normal trade hardback would have been. The art is mostly subpar, too. So overall, this one is a dud for me.
    FWIW I agree with you. I mean I guess it's cheap in comparison to your average LE but your average LE (the stuff Cemetery Dance and Subterranean Press put out least) is better in presentation.

I mean I didn't get the Colorado Kid LEs but from what I've seen I wouldn't mind that treatment for Joyland.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with mistercrowley. Money well spent.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Money well spent sir. You should get a slipcase for it and display it upon your shelf with pride.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    I mean I didn't get the Colorado Kid LEs but from what I've seen I wouldn't mind that treatment for Joyland.
    I'd love to get my hands on one of the Colorado Kid limiteds. Maybe someday...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd love to get my hands on one of the Colorado Kid limiteds. Maybe someday...
    They are out there and a very nice production as well!

I think "mistercrowley" put it rather well. This was for collectors, primarily. As were TCK editions.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I think "mistercrowley" put it rather well. This was for collectors, primarily. As were TCK editions.
    If so, then you guys should be even more annoyed with the book than I am.

Those Colorado Kids look pretty doggone sweet, by the way. Is that a custom housing?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

If so, then you guys should be even more annoyed with the book than I am.

Those Colorado Kids look pretty doggone sweet, by the way. Is that a custom housing?
    Yes, a "Dolso" wooden case. "Joyland" S/L may be a little under TCK standards, but it is the only HC edition. For some collectors (me being one) that was the primary issue. I have deep seated issues resulting from childhood regarding PB's. It's a long story!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

For some collectors (me being one) that was the primary issue.
    That was the only reason I wanted it, and it's the reason I'll keep it even though I'm a wee bit underwhelmed by it.

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have yet to see mine in my hand, but like the art. Can't comment on the quality, but for the money I spent including postage, no complaints.

I like the paperback front cover most, but the art for the limited is more pleasing to me than other books I own, and other than the boy in the bedroom scene, I like them all (not sure what that expression is, but not the one I had in my head when I read it).

Anyone interested in value must be pleased with what it is making at the minute.

And to top it all, it's a bloody great story.
    Nobody likes a clown at midnight

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why are the limited editions of Joyland going for so much on eBay? The numbered copies are going for roughly 6-7 times its issue price of $75. And a lettered went for $2000, which is ten times the issue price. When Doctor Sleep comes out, which will have close to the same limitation, there is no way that they will sell for 6-7 times the issue price. Maybe not the best analogy, but I'm still curious why this little tome seems to be bringing such high prices based on its issue price. I'm thrilled for the sellers who are reaping the riches. It is great if they can turn that much of a profit. I sold one for three times the issue price and was happy with that.

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe because there is no other hardcover edition. Just a guess.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished the book today. Enjoyed it a lot.

Spoiler:
    So what's the cover of the limited supposed to represent? I kept on a woman in a bikini to wield a shotgun(?). Was it supposed to be Annie?

Also would someone mind telling me what events the illustrations inside the book show?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm pretty sure that the images on the hardcover and paperback both show events that happen in the book with equal levels of accuracy. The same is true of The Colorado Kid, and probably every other HCC book that doesn't have the phrase, "and then a scantilly clad woman appeared".

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Why are the limited editions of Joyland going for so much on eBay? The numbered copies are going for roughly 6-7 times its issue price of $75. And a lettered went for $2000, which is ten times the issue price. When Doctor Sleep comes out, which will have close to the same limitation, there is no way that they will sell for 6-7 times the issue price. Maybe not the best analogy, but I'm still curious why this little tome seems to be bringing such high prices based on its issue price. I'm thrilled for the sellers who are reaping the riches. It is great if they can turn that much of a profit. I sold one for three times the issue price and was happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    Maybe because there is no other hardcover edition. Just a guess.
    Yes...the fact that there is no hardcover at all explains why the unsigned editions continues to sell well. For a lot of King fans, this may be one of the only limited editions they own...and that is becuase they just wanted a hardback of his latest release.

On all editions, the affordable price made the book available to non-collectors, so as result, a lot of the 2,250 "collector's copies" are now in the hands of non-collectors.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Cyberghostface,
    Here are my thoughts:
    Spoiler:
    The cover with the bikini rifle holder is an "imagining". No where in the story was the lady in a bikini and carrying a gun.
    Illustrations:
    • The first shows the killer inside the haunted ride. I think it's screwed up because he should have been riding side by side with the victim, not behind her.
    • The second is a "generic" image of a photo girl. Possibly the one who took the pictures of Linda Gray and her murder.
    • The third is Linda Gray shooting at the Annie Oakley Shootin' Gallery. Behind her in a cap and glasses is her murderer.
    • The fourth is the ghost of Linda Gray in the haunted house.
    • The fifth is the fortune teller (name escapes me, I don't have the book handy).
    • The sixth is Mike Ross, the sick boy, who Devin Jones befriends, and helps get a kite aloft.
    • The seventh is when Annie deflowers Devin Jones.
    • The eight is the killer waiting to kill Devin Jones.
    • The ninth is Annie (crack shot), shooting the murderer who has Devin Jones up in the Ferris wheel preparing to kill Jones.

Country
    Country Flag

lol I kind of thought that as well. The paperback kind of tied of into it with the "Hollywood girl" aspect but it's still a fairly tenuous connection given what the story was about.

EDIT: Thanks, R.F. What did you think of them art-wise?

My Collection

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

lol I kind of thought that as well. The paperback kind of tied of into it with the "Hollywood girl" aspect but it's still a fairly tenuous connection given what the story was about.

EDIT: Thanks, R.F. What did you think of them art-wise?
    Acceptable, but not inspirational.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 60 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 ... LastLast