Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Salem's Lot case & Original art by Ned Dameron & Glenn Chadbourne

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolso View Post
    Hope fully that comment about Ned didn't come across as snarky - it wasn't meant to. Seriously, that was the way it went - we asked him to do it, negotiated a price and he agreed.
    Not snarky to me at all...Dick

P.S. BTW I'm not sure if I can afford one of these yet. How long are these going to be for sale. Will you be taken orders until all 52 are sold or is there a cut off date?
    We won't necessarily be producing all 52 cases - depends on how many are ordered. Right now there are (I think) 25 ordered. We will be taking orders until March 9th or until 50 are sold. If we have 26 sold on the 9th, that's all we'll make. If we sell all 50 before the 9th of March, then we close down ordering. The other 2 will be auctioned off for charity.... one will benefit Haven Foundation & the other is going to benefit the Shriners Hospitals.
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hope fully that comment about Ned didn't come across as snarky - it wasn't meant to. Seriously, that was the way it went - we asked him to do it, negotiated a price and he agreed.

P.S. BTW I'm not sure if I can afford one of these yet. How long are these going to be for sale. Will you be taken orders until all 52 are sold or is there a cut off date?
    We won't necessarily be producing all 52 cases - depends on how many are ordered. Right now there are (I think) 25 ordered. We will be taking orders until March 9th or until 50 are sold. If we have 26 sold on the 9th, that's all we'll make. If we sell all 50 before the 9th of March, then we close down ordering. The other 2 will be auctioned off for charity.... one will benefit Haven Foundation & the other is going to benefit the Shriners Hospitals.
    Shriner's Hospitals and The Haven Fund? You guys are the BEST!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the reply. I'm very excited that we are also donating to Shriners. It is a great hospital and really helped my daughter out when she was an infant. Good job Mr. Dolso!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the reply. I'm very excited that we are also donating to Shriners. It is a great hospital and really helped my daughter out when she was an infant. Good job Mr. Dolso!
    Same Here, Mr. Dolso!!! The Shriner's really do ROCK!!!! As does the HAVEN FUND!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd be keen to find out if the case will fit the UK edition?
    The Collector mentioned it is just a bit thicker than the US one, so I guess it will depend on if there is any extra space or not...

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

S as always. emailing you tomorrow
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool project!

I'd be interested in seeing which artists are chosen for each Lettered case. Any way to add that with the "SOLD" sign for each one on the linked page, Jerome? Or would it create too much of time suck?

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Cool project. I would only want one that's DT related though.

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That is my favourite piece by Mr Chadbourne yet and the case looks fantastic.

I'm waiting for an announcement of a stand alone bookcase with the ends designed in wonderful scolling Dark Towers!! (Not Mr Chadbournes version though! Grimacy face and waving arm, not a good look for the tower!).

Great case here though, hope you sell them all.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Nice looking case. A couple of nitpicks on the art: In Ned's painting it would appear that Straker has some hair while in the book he is described as "bald as a queball". Nor did he have a mustache.
    As for Glenn's painting, based on the position of Mark Petrie's fist as he holds the cross to ward off Danny Glick he would have to be sitting on the floor with his back to the window for that particular contortion to work. I'm not trying to be critical, just making an observation.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

There was some discussion about the look of Straker. The book clearly states he is bald, but artists are unique individuals with their own mental image and that was Ned's. To me Straker was a bald version of the guy from Phantasm:

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I do like Ned's interpretation of Straker, even though when I first saw it I immediately thought it was Max von Sydow from Needful Things. And that's a film best left forgotten!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    I do like Ned's interpretation of Straker, even though when I first saw it I immediately thought it was Max von Sydow from Needful Things. And that's a film best left forgotten!
    Really? I thought "Needful Things" was pretty well done. Von Sydow killed as Gaunt!! Oh well, different strokes........................................
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I'm undersand artistic license but follically there is really nothing left to interpret when the subject is described as bald as a queball. SK was likely visualizing Telly Savalas!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    I'm undersand artistic license but follically there is really nothing left to interpret when the subject is described as bald as a queball. SK was likely visualizing Telly Savalas!
    My guess would be that he drew from the Straker character portrayed in the Movies, neither of which were bald. If King was cool with that it's good enough for me. Looks pretty "creepy-ass" to me!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    My guess would be that he drew from the Straker character portrayed in the Movies, neither of which were bald. If King was cool with that it's good enough for me. Looks pretty "creepy-ass" to me!!! LOL
    The image is fine but this is a high end case made exclusively for the book. With that in mind I would think all artistic interpretations would be based on occurences and descriptions found only in the book. The fact that references have been made to characters from two movies ( Needful Things and Phantasm ) would indicate that people aren't thinking of/reminded of the actual character being depicted.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The image is fine but this is a high end case made exclusively for the book. With that in mind I would think all artistic interpretations would be based on occurences and descriptions found only in the book. The fact that references have been made to characters from two movies ( Needful Things and Phantasm ) would indicate that people aren't thinking of/reminded of the actual character being depicted.
    He was drawing from the characters in the 2 TV movie's. Restrict an "Artist" and you get a Comic book. He had a broad spectrum of material from which to interpet from. Two movies, two books and all the associated imagery. This is Ned's imagining of the character. To each his own I suppose. You're certainly entitled to your opinion.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

On the other hand... that is just ONE drawing that we've seen. Assuming that multiple paintings will be scene-related, and not necessarily character-driven, there probably isn't much to be concerned about.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It looks amazing, but way off my budget.

Congratulations to those who get one!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I regretfully have a huge problem... My wife (in regards to my SK purchasing this year).
    She pointed out that last year we spent a small fortune on SK books, SK events and a special SK related project.
    And... since I've already spent in excess of $1700.00 this year already, shes forbidden me to purchase anything else until I raise funds in some other fashion.
    Sooo... since I'm not good looking enough to work the corner, I will have to pass on this one. Sorry folks.
    Artwork & prototype case are absolutely beautiful.
    Congratulations to Dolso, Merlin & Mr Flagg

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Isn't anyone excited about Dameron doing this?

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

He was drawing from the characters in the 2 TV movie's. Restrict an "Artist" and you get a Comic book. He had a broad spectrum of material from which to interpet from. Two movies, two books and all the associated imagery. This is Ned's imagining of the character. To each his own I suppose. You're certainly entitled to your opinion.
    If, as an artist, my assignment/commission or whatever was to provide illustrations/paintings depicting scenes for a case specifically designed to house the first edition of a novel I wouldn't necessarily consider basing my images on what the novel describes as a restriction. I understand the concept of artistic license but in this instance it doesn't apply. It's art based on the book.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

If, as an artist, my assignment/commission or whatever was to provide illustrations/paintings depicting scenes for a case specifically designed to house the first edition of a novel I wouldn't necessarily consider basing my images on what the novel describes as a restriction. I understand the concept of artistic license but in this instance it doesn't apply. It's art based on the book.
    Again, you're entitled to your opinion. I personally like it.

You could always purchase another piece other than "Straker"
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

FWIW, I think he nailed the Packard.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sort of like books - try as you might to get the timing down, they seem to come out all at once ...........

Dameron? -- We asked - he agreed.
    Yeah, I can understand that.

And not snarky at all, Dick. I guess I just thought there'd be an interesting story behind Dameron's involvment.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    What would you have Dolso produce, a wooden train whistle?

As far as Dameron getting involved, I'll let Dick or someone else tell the story.
    Would Ned remarque them?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The more I think about this project the more I realize what an incredibly good value it is considering that Mr. Dameron has agreed to participate.

Most of you know that B&W Remarques by Ned typically start at $200 each and those are only obtainable if you can get access to him. Now, it is my understanding that for this particular project he is working in oils, which increases the value as well. Historically, Ned has quoted oil projects/remarques in the $300 - $400 range.....

Now, granted, these 'Lot drawings are only 8"x 6" in size and not a traditional "remarque" in the sense that it is contained in a book, but, if you were to commission similar artwork from Ned down the road, the price for the art alone would more than likely surpass the total cost of this case (IMHO).

Even better is that DOLSO has initiated payment plans on a case-by-case basis and, given that these cases aren't even shipping until late summer, small chunks of payments can be spread out over a decent period of time....

While I know my opinion is unsolicited, I just had a moment in which I felt it necessary to share my thoughts.......I just have a significant amount of respect for Ned and am thrilled that he agreed to bring his amazing work to the world of King Collectors in this manner....

I'll shut up now....

AKC

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast