Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 'Salem's Lot nominated for vampire novel of the century award

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, in any case, this much should be clear to you: if Interview with the Vampire had never been published, the genre would today be very different. Probably much smaller.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mike, do you think I should read it?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Mike, do you think I should read it?
    Wow. What a question.
    Uh... hmp... erg...
    Yes.

But if so, it would unfortunately mean that you'd need to read a lot more of Rice. Doubt you will become a big fan from the one book. I myself don't necessarily like that series the way so many do, but I think I understand it better now.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    McCammon's They Thirst should be on this list as well.
    Plus, of course, Dan Simmons' Summer of Night and Carrion Comfort.

sk
    Although a fantastic novel, Summer Of Nght isn't a vampire story.
    Oops...time for a re-read!

sk

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually enjoyed the Rice books to a point. "Memnoch the Devil" was the best IMHO, even though it was a contemporary re-hash of "Paradise Lost". It was very entertaining though.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I actually enjoyed the Rice books to a point.
    Me, too. To a point.
    "Memnoch the Devil" was the best IMHO, even though it was a contemporary re-hash of "Paradise Lost". It was very entertaining though.
    One of her deepest. And I wouldn't say that a contemporary re-hash was all it was.

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Because Salem's Lot is nominated for the best vampire novel of the century, I went out to purchase it to read!! I read Anne Rice's series and I loved them!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

YOU HAVEN'T READ SALEM'S LOT!!! I'm amazed. It IS, truly, a classic!

John

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

An interesting perspective from Kevin Quigley...
    'Salem's Lot has been nominated for a special Bram Stoker award for Vampire Novel of the Century. The other nominees are:

The Soft Whisper of the Dead, by Charles L. Grant (1983)
    I Am Legend, by Richard Matheson (1954)
    Anno Dracula, by Kim Newman (1992)
    Interview with the Vampire, by Anne Rice (1976)
    Hotel Transylvania by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (1978)
    To my mind, the only real competition for King is Interview With a Vampire and I Am Legend. Rice's work, for better or for worse, set the groundwork for the "romantic" vampire genre, and is rightly a classic. I Am Legend is a classic novel by a legendary writer. However, though the creatures in I Am Legend are called vampires, they're really not.

The Grant and Yarbro might not have enough "legendary" cache, and the Newman may simply be too new (even though it's 20 years old now). 'Salem's Lot, on the other hand, almost singlehandedly brought the vampire to America, changing the horror genre forever. I think it'll be King.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Difficult to believe 'Salem's Lot lost to I am Legend for vampire novel of the century...

Vampire Novel of the Century Award

HWA, in conjunction with the Bram Stoker Family Estate and the Rosenbach Museum & Library, also presented the special one-time only Vampire Novel of the Century Award to:
    Richard Matheson for his modern classic I Am Legend

This award was voted on by a jury chaired by Dracula expert Leslie S. Klinger and was sponsored by Jeremy Wagner

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a good thing Twilight wasn't included. Neither story could compete with sparkly vampires.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Difficult to believe 'Salem's Lot lost to I am Legend for vampire novel of the century...

Vampire Novel of the Century Award

HWA, in conjunction with the Bram Stoker Family Estate and the Rosenbach Museum & Library, also presented the special one-time only Vampire Novel of the Century Award to:
    Richard Matheson for his modern classic I Am Legend

This award was voted on by a jury chaired by Dracula expert Leslie S. Klinger and was sponsored by Jeremy Wagner

Doesnt really surprise me to be honnest..
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    It's a good thing Twilight wasn't included. Neither story could compete with sparkly vampires.
    I threw up a little bit in my mouth.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

What's that Chinatown line? Oh yeah...
    'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough.
    Guess we can add science-fantasy. It is a fine novel, but not truly as important, IMHO.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough.
    Guess we can add science-fantasy. It is a fine novel, but not truly as important, IMHO.
    Geez, you could stand to lighten up a bit once in awhile, Path!!!! IMHO of course!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough.
    Geez, you could stand to lighten up a bit once in awhile, Path!!!! IMHO of course!!!
    That did not come across as lighthearted to you?
    *sigh* All in the delivery, I suppose.

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough.
    I agree if you are referring to I Am Legend.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Interview will be seen as "literature" and will likely win. To me it's no contest. 'Salem's Lot has had more influence and impact on the vampire/horror genre than all of the other nominated books combined.
    I wholeheartedly agree with your last 2 sentences. Plus, it's a very effective book. However, if 'Salem's Lot loses, I predict it will be to I Am Legend, not Interview with the Vampire (or any of the others.)
    Looks like I called this one.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, I believe I nailed it long before you did.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't mean to imply I was the only one to predict Matheson would be the main competition to King.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

We are both correct-I'm just more correcterrr

Gunslinger Apprentice Xile is on a distinguished road Xile's Avatar

My Mood
    Bitchy
    Country
    Country Flag

No shocker here. Best vampire novel I've ever read. Wish they'd remake the cheesy movie though because 30 Days of Night owned Salem's Lot cinematically [<-Is that even a word?].
    X-man: The One Man Wolfpack...

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Xile View Post
    No shocker here. Best vampire novel I've ever read. Wish they'd remake the cheesy movie though because 30 Days of Night owned Salem's Lot cinematically [<-Is that even a word?].
    Well, "Salem's Lot"only got "TV Movie" treatment though, the second version far exceeded the first. So "The Lot" never really got its due as a book to movie treatment. Therefore, its kind of unfair to compare it to more current entries. While I truly "love" 'Salem's Lot as a book it is IMHO still second to the original "Dracula", by Bram Stoker. That was one f*cking scary book and I love the style it was written in. The movie version of the same tried very hard and came close, but believe it or not I would have to go with "Interview" as the scariest "Vampire" Movie to date. IMHO of course.

"30 days of Night" still ranks high IMO though. That was a creepy concept and flick!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast