Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Whelan, Artist

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Looking forward to seeing it, DarkOne!

Once you have 5 posts, you will gain greater member functionality, such as the ability to post photos.

John F. Kennedy DarkOne is on a distinguished road DarkOne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Most definitely! There will be pictures if Ka wills it!

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

It's badass, I wanted it badly here's a link:

http://michaelwhelan.com/catalog/pro...vg39bvbkbqh3i7

Congrats DarkOne

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

VERY NICE!!

Gunslinger Apprentice PlayPhish is on a distinguished road PlayPhish's Avatar

Congratulations on the purchase! I've seen it in person and it is quite stunning; probably my favorite portrayal of the Red King from Michael. The Dark Man is also great... loving the pastel pencil and washes he's been doing.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by oy-the-brave View Post

Congrats DarkOne
    That is a great image.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a fantastic picture.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

They are all great, i just wish i could afford one!

Country
    Country Flag

I agree! They're all very nice. The Lord of Discordia just struck me and the opportunity might never come again.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats. I hope to see Michael this week and pick up my Roland!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Country
    Country Flag

That's*amazing you know Michael Whelan and can bring it home safe and sound (envy). I just hope my CK arrives undamaged. Great Roland by the way!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Fantastic image!

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oy-the-brave View Post

Congrats DarkOne
    That is a great image.
    Totally! Congrats on it for sure, DarkOne. Can't wait to see better pics of it in the P&J thread.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne View Post
    I just hope my CK arrives undamaged.
    I doubt you will have any problems. The things I have gotten from Glass Onion (including artwork) are always very well packed. Audrey knows what she is doing.

Country
    Country Flag

I trust Audrey. I don't think I trust the post system or customs. Fingers crossed.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Michael Whelan is doing well and sends his regards to all of you here that are fans of his. Got to spend 2 hours this morning with him and Audrey. Always a great time.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

Country
    Country Flag

Glad to hear Michael's well. Would love to see the LSU Roland artwork! I'm still stoked about my Lord of Discordia!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice bast_imret is on a distinguished road bast_imret's Avatar

Thanks for sending him our wishes. Great acquisitions you guys! Those are amazing paintings.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

worth noting you can get that and another as a print framed for $450!
    http://www.michaelwhelan.com/shop/re...-unmasked-set/

I'm excited to see his cover for Mccammon's new one. That's what sold me on the purchase really.

Country
    Country Flag

That is sweet!

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

It has been TOO LONG for a Michael Whelan update so I happily can provide one....It has been 14 months since I visited Michael and Audrey in their home (they live 45 minutes away from me), but I spent three hours with them yesterday. my story and pictures in a minute.

One update though....after agreeing to do remarques (for a price obviously) for several years, Michael has stopped doing them for the time being so that he can focus 100% on his personal gallery work. Not to say he won't at some point agree to do remarques again, but I wanted to let you know that all requests will politely be turned down until further notice.

Now for my visit story:

I had a FABULOUS time with Michael and Audrey yesterday….spent 3 hours with them talking about our families, King, and everything in between…..always a magical time for me….You should SEE their home….OMG!!!!!!!!! virtually every piece of wall space is filled with a Whelan original…amazing how many he has kept for himself….to view up close and personal Roland – Legends on the Beach, Roland carrying Jake in the woods scene after Jake died, Crimson King on his throne….I visit heaven every time I go to their home.

Michael almost always leaves me with some goodies, sometimes things he ascribes no value to but are GOLD to me.

He was shuffling through some papers and pulled out a rough pencil sketch that he did of Charly from Firestarter. He said he was going to use the idea for Jerad’s huge art book “Knowing Darkness” but am 99% sure Michael said he never made an actual Remarque out of it, so he just gave me the sketch (pic attached).

Then…long story made short….several years ago Michael gave me as a Christmas gift a preliminary charcoal sketch he did PRIOR to the original 1982 Gunslinger artwork he did…Roland looking at his reflection in the water…..it was a Pride and Joy of mine….then Michael sheepishly asked for it back over 3 years ago as the sketch actually belongs with a Lettered copy of The Art of Michael Whelan that he has…he promised to “make it up to me.” It took him over 3 years to do it, but he gave me two pieces yesterday as “compensation”…the first being the ink sketch he did of the final illustration in LSOE, although this version is a mirror image of the one from the book and he actually added more shading and background to the version he gave me. Gift #2 is an early prelim Michael did of the Crimson King in oils on canvas. Michael said he obviously did away with the pointy hat but kept the main features are true image. Pretty AWESOME gifts.

Finally, Michael was doodling in a pad while we visited (I could not see what he was doing), but he slipped the sketch in with the Crimson King…it was of Oy….how he knew I always wanted a Whelan Oy is beyond me but to know he “inscribed” the drawing to me and that he did it in maybe 15 minutes while we were chatting is almost hard to believe. So those are my treasures I received (plus numerous signed books of my own, including the Orange Gunslinger proof I own –now signed by King AND Whelan, plus the Viking Gunslinger proof, also double signed).

I’m telling you, I can’t imagine what it would feel like to sit like that with Stephen King for 3 hours, but sitting with Michael Whelan is as close to sharing space with Gan as I’ll ever get I think.

Hope you like my story and pictures.

David

Here is Charly from Firestarter:

Here is Roland in LSOE with the Doctor bugs:

Here are two early versions of the Crimson King:

And here is Oy that he sketched out in about 15 minutes:

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for sharing your visit, David!! Awesome!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely amazing! Super jealous!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast