Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Personalized Film Recommendations

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I really don't hope George means the Guy Ritchie version released in 2009 with Robert Downey Jr bears and instead means the modern tv series released last year. I thought the Ritchie version was pretty shallow, if I'm honest: a film that tried hard to get everything superficially true to the books - such as the foggy Victorian streets, for example - and yet ended up being another generic Hollywood blockbuster for me.

The series last year, on the other hand, which is a modern day version with mobile phones and laptops used to solve crimes, is oddly enough a lot more faithful in spirit to the original stories, especially with the relationship between Holmes and Watson. They only did 3 eps last year, but they were 90 minutes long each and each was wonderful to watch. That, I'd definitely keep an eye out for, bears. I'm sure you'd enjoy that series a lot more than the film.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

For some reason I thought you seen Snatch Jean? Or is it just Lock, Stock... that you love?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I saw one third, or rather almost a half, of Snatch, and then the computer crashed - it was a few years ago

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
    Snatch, yes! thank you for reminding me, I was going to watch it for ages, and keep forgetting

which is the Sherlock you mean, Bill?
    Why Guy Ritchie's entry of course!!! Sherlock II is due out this holiday season I believe!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    I really don't hope George means the Guy Ritchie version released in 2009 with Robert Downey Jr bears and instead means the modern tv series released last year. I thought the Ritchie version was pretty shallow, if I'm honest: a film that tried hard to get everything superficially true to the books - such as the foggy Victorian streets, for example - and yet ended up being another generic Hollywood blockbuster for me.

The series last year, on the other hand, which is a modern day version with mobile phones and laptops used to solve crimes, is oddly enough a lot more faithful in spirit to the original stories, especially with the relationship between Holmes and Watson. They only did 3 eps last year, but they were 90 minutes long each and each was wonderful to watch. That, I'd definitely keep an eye out for, bears. I'm sure you'd enjoy that series a lot more than the film.
    Oh man!!! So sorry you didn't care for it. I, on the other hand, enjoyed it a lot. Was it deep? Maybe not, but it was loads of fun IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

To Jean: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Synecdoche, New York

Did you say you were watching Synecdoche? Thoughts?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean,

If memory serves, you are a Beatles fan, no? If so there is an excellent documentary on George Harrison currently running on HBO. I would think it is also available on the web. Worth the time and viewing
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean,

Your PM box is full. I'd be happy to buy a copy of "Snatch" and send it to you if you PM me an address. Could send ya "Boondock Saints" as well.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by George Steinbrenner View Post

Oh man!!! So sorry you didn't care for it. I, on the other hand, enjoyed it a lot. Was it deep? Maybe not, but it was loads of fun IMHO
    Have you seen the Sherlock tv series made last year? I watched that first, so that might've had something to do with it. Maybe I would've liked the Ritchie version more if my standards hadn't been set so ridiculously high. As it is, the modern day series was surprisingly one of the best new shows of last year. Maybe it wasn't exactly "deep", either, but it was a hell of a lot of fun whilst sticking true to the spirit of the original stories. Watch it asap!

- Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

no, I only downloaded it and then had to go away. Now I am sure going to watch both, thank you!

Jean,

If memory serves, you are a Beatles fan, no? If so there is an excellent documentary on George Harrison currently running on HBO. I would think it is also available on the web. Worth the time and viewing
    Yes, bears love The Beatles, thank you!

Jean,

Your PM box is full. I'd be happy to buy a copy of "Snatch" and send it to you if you PM me an address. Could send ya "Boondock Saints" as well.
    Thank you really really much! No, the only thing that can be found without problems here is movies. I will watch all your recommendations, of course - in the order of download. Sending something here is a big problem, though...

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Have you seen the Sherlock tv series made last year? I watched that first, so that might've had something to do with it. Maybe I would've liked the Ritchie version more if my standards hadn't been set so ridiculously high. As it is, the modern day series was surprisingly one of the best new shows of last year. Maybe it wasn't exactly "deep", either, but it was a hell of a lot of fun whilst sticking true to the spirit of the original stories. Watch it asap!

Discussions like this make me feel like I am in the minority. I loved both versions, for very different reasons! Obviously the greatest merit to the Guy Ritchie version is the fact that, like Merlin said, was that it was simply fun. The mysteries weren't impossible to figure out and I could still follow them. When I watched it for the first time, I had loads of fun seeing what I could figure out before Sherlock. I'm also a huge fan of RDJ and Jude Law, so that helped.
    With the BBC adaptation, however...it's just an amazing piece of cinema (which I feel is a valid classification, given the high production quality and length). A new version of the old characters is something that could have gone either really poorly, or fantastically. I'm so happy it took the later road, there. But honestly, the two are so different, I have a hard time comparing the versions.

Country
    Country Flag

now I want to watch both...

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Have you seen the Sherlock tv series made last year? I watched that first, so that might've had something to do with it. Maybe I would've liked the Ritchie version more if my standards hadn't been set so ridiculously high. ...
    I watched the Ritchie film first, but still agree with every word you said about them. Even compared to old Sherlock Holmes adaptations of decades ago, I felt this was an unnecessary update. A bit overly derivative of unrelated recent action-mystery films, too, but it did carry off the tropes better than usual. And I think it was more successful and worthwhile than remakes like Star Trek: fun without inducing all THAT many cringes. (Far more stars to "Shelock" TV, nonetheless.)

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is great. Synecdoche, New York is even greater. I think Synecdoche is one of the greatest movies ever made.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

... and I remember that you said this before and was the first to recommend them both, to bears and people alike

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Definitely one of the greatest contemporary American films.

Contrast to Inception reminded me.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My recommendations:
    To Jean: Four Lions,
    To Heather19: Withnail & I, This Is England, Quadrophenia,
    To feverishparade: Withnail & I,
    To Mattrick: Withnail & I

Recommended to me:
    by Jean: The Orphanage - loved it, The Devil's Backbone - loved it, Delicatessen and La cité des enfants perdus - to watch, Wag the Dog - enjoyed it, The Last Exorcism - loved it,
    by Heather19: House of 1000 Corpses - really liked it, Opera - to watch, Them - to watch
    by feverishparade: Brazil - to watch

- Melike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Watch Pontypool next. Along with Last Exorcism two of the best horrors of the past decade.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Watch Pontypool next. Along with Last Exorcism two of the best horrors of the past decade.
    QFT

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

no, I only downloaded it and then had to go away. Now I am sure going to watch both, thank you!

Jean,

Jean,

Thank you really really much! No, the only thing that can be found without problems here is movies. I will watch all your recommendations, of course - in the order of download. Sending something here is a big problem, though...
    Yes, some have been trying to work out ways to send bears mail for years now.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean,

Jean,

Yes, some have been trying to work out ways to send bears mail for years now.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

yes...
    :sad bear:

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Awwww!

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My recommendations:
    To Jean: Four Lions, Snuff Box (a tv series, true, but one that, after finishing Delicatessen, I am sure you will absolutely love, Jean)
    To Heather19: This Is England, Quadrophenia,
    To feverishparade: Withnail & I,
    To Mattrick: Withnail & I

Recommended to me:
    by Jean: The Orphanage - loved it, The Devil's Backbone - loved it, Delicatessen - loved it, La cité des enfants perdus - to watch, Wag the Dog - enjoyed it, The Last Exorcism - loved it,
    by Heather19: House of 1000 Corpses - really liked it, Opera - to watch, Them - liked it,
    by feverishparade: Brazil - to watch
    by Mattrick: Pontypool - to watch

- Melike

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't forget Pontypool

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast