Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 9/11 Tenth Anniversary

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default 9/11 Tenth Anniversary

Well, this is a big test for me I suppose. As I am sure very few of you know, I almost was there. My Telecom Co., installed the phones for the PA (37 lost) and a few other companies, located in the WTC. Cantor Fitzgerald was one and we got a repair call that day, and it was serious enough that a "suit" needed to be there. I was in the Mid Town Tunnel when the first plane hit. I was still making my way downtown when the 1st Tower went down.

My brother was/is NYPD (23 lost) and he was a respondent. To say it was "mayhem" is to put it mildly. In the past, I have to admit that my feelings have been a lot like Tommy Gavin on "Rescue Me". I lash out at trivial things that strike a nerve, and am generally intolerable of other peoples thoughts and feelings regarding the event. However, its been 10 years, and while I am dis-heartened that we have not rebuilt in that time (one of my "hang-outs" was the "Sky-Bar") I am starting to come to real terms with it, I think.

Anyway, In honor of the 343 NYC firefighters, and other NYPD officers plus civilians who jumped or otherwise lost their lives on that fateful day. I dedicate this thread to all the fallen, all the directly affected and everyone that still bears the memory in their hearts. The signature 10 year day is upon us and tribute should be made. Don't ya think?

Besides "knowing where I was" that day, I also died a little bit as did a lot of American's I'm sure. Lets make it a point to "remember them" this 9/11 tenth year Anniversary, What you say?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Great post Merlin. Everyone impacted directly or indirectly by this senseless tragedy are in my thoughts and prayers and will be remembered.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I was watching the Today show that morning and actually saw the live broadcast when the second plane hit the towers. I think I was in a state of shock that entire day. I remember Katie Couric and Matt Lauer, right after the first plane hit, theorizing that perhaps the pilot of a small plane had become blinded by the bright reflection from the windows of the first tower, lost control and crashed into it. Then the second plane hit. Shock is the best word to describe their and my reaction at that time.

John

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is going to be a difficult anniversary for a massive amount of people. I hope all the politicians taking part in the ceremony at Ground Zero keep that in mind and don't use this for political gains.

It's still difficult for me in several ways. I was scheduled for training in New York that week but it was cancelled at nearly the last minute for financial reasons. The training was to be in the old post office building on Church street just across from the World Trade Center site. I had several coworkers in the post office building. I was on the phone with one of them when the first plane hit. I could hear it and asked her what the hell that was. She didn't know until a couple minutes later when she told me that a plane had just hit the World Trade Center and she had to go. She hung up and it was several days until we heard from her or the others there. Oddly enough I was on the phone with another coworker in that same post office bldg. back in 1993 when those lunatics set off the bomb in the parking basement of the WTC. I didn't hear anything that time, the phone just simply went dead. But I can still hear that first plane hitting, especially in my nightmares.

I also used to work in the Murrah Building in Oklahoma City but thankfully was transferred to Dallas back in 1987, several years before that pos blew it up. I lost two friends and a friend of mine who still worked there lost two of her children who were in the daycare there.

They were acts of terrorism, one domestic and one foreign and they changed our world forever.

But yeah, this is one of those horrible things that everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard of it. My hope is that all of those who experienced it first hand have found ways to deal with the horrors and reached some level of inner peace.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Discovery is showing a great six-episode documentary about the rebuilding of the World Trade Center. The first three episodes were shown yesterday, and the other three will be shown next Thursday.

Very highly recommended.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/the-rising/

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

All my love and support to my American friends at this time, I can't even begin to imagine how you feel after being directy involved this with atrocity.

Much love to all of you

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I get a chill up my spine reading these posts. Just like with the Kennedy assassination I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard of these tragedies. I think about the WTC atrocity every day (no kidding), and feel a great pang of loss at the senseless taking of all those lives. I'm grateful for every day I have, and these events make me even moreso.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I only hope this generation can see some positive international event soon. The beauty of the crumbling Berliner Mauer has kept me going through 9/11 and many other things.

God bless those left behind on 9/11/2001 0r 11/9/01.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I only hope this generation can see some positive international event soon. The beauty of the crumbling Berliner Mauer has kept me going through 9/11 and many other things.

God bless those left behind on 9/11/2001 0r 11/9/01.
    Amen to that!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

This year is a toughy for me as well. On May 14, 2001, I lost my Dad to his second heart attack, I lost a very very very dear friend on Sept 3 to a defective heart valve that his doctor SHOULD HAVE FUCKIN REPLACED THAT SUMMER (but I am not bitter) and then the Trade Towers. It's the 10 year anniversary for all of those terrible events! Such a sad time in my life. I remember vividly every moment of those three days.
    May all those who perished, rest is peace and keep a watch over their loved ones.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    This year is a toughy for me as well. On May 14, 2001, I lost my Dad to his second heart attack, I lost a very very very dear friend on Sept 3 to a defective heart valve that his doctor SHOULD HAVE FUCKIN REPLACED THAT SUMMER (but I am not bitter) and then the Trade Towers. It's the 10 year anniversary for all of those terrible events! Such a sad time in my life. I remember vividly every moment of those three days.
    May all those who perished, rest is peace and keep a watch over their loved ones.
    Karen, that's horrific!! My deepest sympathies to you.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Thanks friends
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have and always have had mixed feelings about this subject. Regardless my best thoughts, feelings and wishes are with those who are directly impacted by what happened.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I have and always have had mixed feelings about this subject. Regardless my best thoughts, feelings and wishes are with those who are directly impacted by what happened.
    I like this answer even though initially you put me on edge Regardless of anything the fact is many innocent people lost their lives and many more people were negatively impacted by this event. This is a horrible tragedy on a magnitude which I hope to never see again in my life.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I like this answer even though initially you put me on edge Regardless of anything the fact is many innocent people lost their lives and many more people were negatively impacted by this event. This is a horrible tragedy on a magnitude which I hope to never see again in my life.

Personally, I mourn ANY loss of life...any suffering.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very moving, Pablo. Thanks!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    In the last decade, we've discriminated against an entire cultural group on the grounds of a selectively small portion of their group while pretending the same type of people don't exist in every other religious sect; given up vast amounts of personal freedoms for the illusion of a slightly higher level of personal security, killed hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians in relation for the deaths of under 3000 innocent civilians (including rescue workers, but not soldiers), and allowed allowed a mentally handicapped man and his penguin friend send countless servicemen to their deaths to secure personal wealth in the form of liquidized fossils because said retard claimed god wanted him to.
    So yeah. Here's to ten years of ethnic bigotry, hypocrisy, and of selling our freedoms for a shiny new pair of handcuffs.

Onion News summed things up pretty well:

'That was an awful day for America, but at least the nation came together and people actually seemed to care about one another. Just compare that to now, Jesus Christ.' While stating they felt "kind of terrible" about it, Americans expressed a longing to return to those "better days" of shared national agony in September 2001, when everybody truly believed things couldn't get any worse.
    That said,

My sympathies to you that you felt the need to soil a thread dedicated to the memories of all the innocent victims of NINE-ELEVEN with political rhetoric. Shame that you get your news from the "Onion News Network" that stalwart of pure journalism.

I take it you've never lost a friend or loved one to senseless violence.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can still remember it very clearly. I was only in high school and every morning in 1st period we always watched the news because my teacher thought we should all know whats going on in the world. My whole class saw the second plane hit. To say that a bunch of Tenth graders were shocked would be an understatement. People were crying and i believe one girl threw up. All we did the rest of the day was watch. Some in mute silence. Some when they did speak, just couldn't find the words. Some couldn't stop crying. And others were angry. I myself was, for the first time in my life, unable to lighten the mood at all. Even thinking of a joke to make people feel better made me sick to my stomach. So for the majority of the day i barely spoke except when spoken to.

The next day me and some of my classmates all got together and started a writing campaign. We made cards and letters for the Fire Department and Police. We just anted them to know that our hearts and prayers went out to them. I myself, at this point having not said a prayer for over a year since I had a crisis of faith, said a prayer for all the victims of 9/11. And on this anniversary I will say another prayer. And i will remember all those who died
    If you love me then love me..

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Yaksha View Post
    I can still remember it very clearly. I was only in high school and every morning in 1st period we always watched the news because my teacher thought we should all know whats going on in the world. My whole class saw the second plane hit. To say that a bunch of Tenth graders were shocked would be an understatement. People were crying and i believe one girl threw up. All we did the rest of the day was watch. Some in mute silence. Some when they did speak, just couldn't find the words. Some couldn't stop crying. And others were angry. I myself was, for the first time in my life, unable to lighten the mood at all. Even thinking of a joke to make people feel better made me sick to my stomach. So for the majority of the day i barely spoke except when spoken to.

The next day me and some of my classmates all got together and started a writing campaign. We made cards and letters for the Fire Department and Police. We just anted them to know that our hearts and prayers went out to them. I myself, at this point having not said a prayer for over a year since I had a crisis of faith, said a prayer for all the victims of 9/11. And on this anniversary I will say another prayer. And i will remember all those who died
    Good thoughts, Yaksha!!! We all hold a special place in our hearts for those who perished, those who nearly did and those that were impacted by this tragedy. What they have built to remember them by at "Ground Zero" is truly significant, memorable and fitting!!!

NEVER FORGET!!!

P.S. To avoid further conflict, I'm out. God Bless America and you all!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There are other political threads here that political rants would be more welcome in. jmho

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Honestly Razz, whilst I certainly share some of your views on this, posting something about it in the 9/11 thread on the day isn't the best time to do it. I speak as someone who hates it when the tragedy is exploited and will laugh at a Day Today sketch that parodies that kind of exploitation and was last week laughing my arse off at a comedy about suicide bombers, but I also know that in a case like the 10th anniversary of the date, it's appropriate to mourn for those lives lost. Maybe not before or afterwards, but yes, on the date, it's important to show some respect for those lives lost in such a terrible, at least.

Then again, i actually haven't lost anyone to senseless violence, so what the fuck do I know?
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Sure you can look at the US foreign policy prior to 9/11 and say we had it coming and all of that stuff, and that would be somewhat valid. Maybe. And you can look at the post-9/11 response and say we overreacted, and that would also be somewhat valid. Maybe. But the fact is that for most Americans, and most people around the world, the attacks occurred out of the blue. Equating the loss of nearly 3,000 people versus those tens of thousands in Afghanistan and Iraq is useless and inequitable, because those are different types of losses. The brazen, vicious, and absolutely shocking attack on 9/11 was and is an unprecedented act of terrorism. No other terrorist attack has even been carried out with such abhorrent coldheartedness. No other iconic landmarks have crumbled after an attack. That was the shock and awe. And that's why that day is so seared into most people's memories, and why we continue to honor its victims.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast