Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 567 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 199 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 14172

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    "The Illustrated Stephen King Companion"
    I actually found a copy at Barnes and Noble near my house and I hadn't paid much attention to the thread on the site about it but while I was in the store I took a look at it. I must say, I was incredibly impressed with the book as a whole. I bought a copy that day and it was a really cool experience taking it home and going through it.

If you don't have a copy - get one.
    Well, i DO want to get one!
    Amazon doesnt let me do it!
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

It's only a Barnes & Noble product, not Amazon.

John

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    "The Illustrated Stephen King Companion"
    I actually found a copy at Barnes and Noble near my house and I hadn't paid much attention to the thread on the site about it but while I was in the store I took a look at it. I must say, I was incredibly impressed with the book as a whole. I bought a copy that day and it was a really cool experience taking it home and going through it.

If you don't have a copy - get one.
    Glad you enjoyed it -- and thanks for the plug! It should be available again online at bn.com later this summer.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

No problem. This is one of those books that was MADE for a collector. Those who have it know exactly what I'm talking about. Well done with your research, Bev.

Gunslinger Apprentice Lenny is on a distinguished road Lenny's Avatar

Don't know but these padded walls are NICE.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

What's the point of collecting if you are not going to enjoy what you are collecting?
    Now I'm not saying display them outside for your neighbors to enjoy but if they bring you the most joy in your living room with sunlight then that is where you should put them. They are your books, they are your collection, they are for your enjoyment. Put them where they will bring you the most happiness.
    Need first editions of:
    1.Carrie
    2.Salem's Lot
    3.The Shining
    4.Night Shift
    5.THE PASSAGE uncorrected proof

Gunslinger Apprentice wahlers will become famous soon enough

Even in a room without sunlight, don't some lightbulbs cause fading too (i.e. energy saver bulbs and halogens)?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree that your collection should not be hidden away, but some basic precautions should be observed so that your collection stays nice.

I seriously doubt that any amount of artificial light (except maybe from some of those tanning beds) could affect your books.

John

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    Yeah but it's sold out at bn.com
    And amazon, dont want to send it to France... both for the used copies or the new ones...
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Along the Path of the Beam dubrosa22 is on a distinguished road dubrosa22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for all of your thoughts and compliments on my new bookcase guys.

Yes, I really like seeing the bookcases people keep their collections in too. If I could I would spend 50% of my budget on shelving! I'm always running out of room for new books.

So, the short of it seems to be - enjoy your books in low levels of very indirect sunlight away from condensation (and tanning beds! )

I think I'm safe and thoroughly relieved now!
    THANKS!!!!
    “All you need for a movie is a gun and a girl.” - JLG

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wahlers View Post
    Even in a room without sunlight, don't some lightbulbs cause fading too (i.e. energy saver bulbs and halogens)?
    No. The colour temperature (degrees Kelvin) of these lamps do not cause any problem.

Along the Path of the Beam dubrosa22 is on a distinguished road dubrosa22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know you can have windows protected with an anti-UV film or tint.
    Could I apply just small 9and cost effective) amount to the glass doors themselves?

Crazy idea?
    “All you need for a movie is a gun and a girl.” - JLG

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Don't use glass, use plastic. Glass is transparent to UVA, acrylic plastic is less so. Polycarbonate inherently blocks most UV.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dubrosa22 View Post
    Could I apply just small 9and cost effective) amount to the glass doors themselves?

Crazy idea?
    That will work, but the tint will obscure the view of the books.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    Yeah but it's sold out at bn.com
    And amazon, dont want to send it to France... both for the used copies or the new ones...
    Amazon would love to send a copy to France but they don't have any. When you buy off of Amazon marketplace it's just like buying something off e-bay, in the same way you buy from e-bay sellers you buy from Amazon sellers when using the marketplace, just the payment is processed through Amazon and not via paypal.

Amazon has no geographical restrictions on this book, it's the sellers who set this. There is actually new (and used) book on there but the only seller who will send overseas wants $97 for the book. You won't find many people willing to send a large book from the US to France as it would cost so much.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dubrosa22 View Post
    Could I apply just small (and cost effective) amount to the glass doors themselves?

Crazy idea?
    That will work, but the tint will obscure the view of the books.
    There are some high quality anti-UV films now that won't materially obscure your view. May be worth the trade-off for the protection.

For example, see the products made by these companies:

Huper Optik

Vista Window Film

We have their products from each of these companies on our windows at home (installed by professionals, not me) and are quite happy.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

What are the "small" books, that contains only 1 short story/novella written by King?
    Only publication or not?

Dolan's cadillac
    My Pretty pony
    The breathing method (UK)
    Rita Hayworth... (USA)
    The Body (USA & UK)

Blockade Billy

Country
    Country Flag

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Interesting. Never saw those before...

Country
    Country Flag

"Thorndike Press" for the second right?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

To Canucks on here... how much is shipping for a single, standard sized hardcover to the States? I'll be putting some stuff on Ebay tonight and I don't want to overcharge for shipping.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    To Canucks on here... how much is shipping for a single, standard sized hardcover to the States? I'll be putting some stuff on Ebay tonight and I don't want to overcharge for shipping.
    It really depends.

I'd ship via expedited parcel - its traceable and gets there a lot faster than the small packets service. If its northern or eastern US, then about $15 would cover it (under say 1.5 KG). If its western or southern, it would be closer to $20.

I'd just factor it into the opening bid price and go from there - people always seem to get pissy even if its a $10 shipping charge because they are used to being able to send things within the States for $3.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. I figured I'd charge around $15 anyways and refund the change if there's any.

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just need to think out-loud and there isn't anyone I know outside of this forum that would listen without looking at me like I was a madman.

I mentioned in another thread that I had been saving for an Asbestos Firestarter for years. Unfortunately, everytime I start to get close the prices seem to go up. I was hoping that with today's market conditions I would be able to find one in the $16K range -- doesn't seem to be happening (unless anyone here is looking to sell???).

I have been in discussions with a seller regarding a complete set of THE PLANT all signed to Burt Hatlen, which I think is a pretty fun association set. The lowest I can get them for is $8K, which is high, and I can get a mis-matched set a lot cheaper, but the idea of complete set really appeals to me. If I pull the trigger and go for the set, I don't know if I'll ever be able save up enough again if a Firestarter comes to market.

So here's what I'm wrestling with: looking at history, its unlikely a complete set of THE PLANT will come up again anytime soon which makes it pretty rare. Would you hold out for a $16K Firestarter (which may never happen) or buy the set which is available now (and may never come up again).

Thanks for listening.

jim
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    I just need to think out-loud and there isn't anyone I know outside of this forum that would listen without looking at me like I was a madman.

I mentioned in another thread that I had been saving for an Asbestos Firestarter for years. Unfortunately, everytime I start to get close the prices seem to go up. I was hoping that with today's market conditions I would be able to find one in the $16K range -- doesn't seem to be happening (unless anyone here is looking to sell???).

I have been in discussions with a seller regarding a complete set of THE PLANT all signed to Burt Hatlen, which I think is a pretty fun association set. The lowest I can get them for is $8K, which is high, and I can get a mis-matched set a lot cheaper, but the idea of complete set really appeals to me. If I pull the trigger and go for the set, I don't know if I'll ever be able save up enough again if a Firestarter comes to market.

So here's what I'm wrestling with: looking at history, its unlikely a complete set of THE PLANT will come up again anytime soon which makes it pretty rare. Would you hold out for a $16K Firestarter (which may never happen) or buy the set which is available now (and may never come up again).

Thanks for listening.

jim
    If I had to choose I think I would go for "The Plant" set. To me the story behind the Plant set would be more fun to have and talk about and more of a personal (?) connection to the author, as it were, than the Firestarter. The Asbestos Firestarter is a "Holy Grail", but I'd rather have the almost equally interesting bird in hand (The Plant) than the one in the bush (perhaps even disintegrating bush LOL). Bottom line, sounds like its distinctly possible if you pass on The Plant, you still may never get your hands on the Firestarter. But hey, that's just my "can't afford either" humble opinion for whatever its worth!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Cujo56 is on a distinguished road Cujo56's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I've run into situations like this before with other things I collect and all I can tell you from my personal experiences, is that I wished I had waited for the collectible that I had my heart set on from day one.
    I was happy with my purchase for awhile, but the flame that was driving me to get that one special collectible never died out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 567 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 199 ... LastLast