Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 302 of 567 FirstFirst ... 202 252 292 300 301 302 303 304 312 352 402 ... LastLast
Results 7,526 to 7,550 of 14173

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I corrected my post. It is an ARC of Carrie.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I corrected my post. It is an ARC of Carrie.
    Sheesh! Now there's two of of them out there.

Gunslinger Apprentice Groomp will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Today I picked up a paperback boxed set of The Hobbit/LOTR for two bucks, doesn't even appear to have been read.
    The little slipcase is shimmery and gold, and when I went to look it up on amazon, there wasn't a price lower than $30.
    Is it really worth that much, or are people just freakin' extortionists?
    Does anyone know what boxed set I'm referring to?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Groomp View Post
    Today I picked up a paperback boxed set of The Hobbit/LOTR for two bucks, doesn't even appear to have been read.
    The little slipcase is shimmery and gold, and when I went to look it up on amazon, there wasn't a price lower than $30.
    A pic might help. Does it depict scenes from the movies? You have to remember there are literally thousands of different editions of these titles.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Somewhat related I want to add that Im not a big fan of original illustrations in my books unless its the original DJ artist. I briefly hem and hawed about having Don Maitz illustrate a Duma Key for me at the recent gathering but decided that his artwork isnt relevant to the original trade publication so passed. I may be in the minority with this opinion but to me having anyone other than the original author or artist mark up your book is comparable to an owners bookplate regardless of their fame.
    I agree 100%
    I second that agreement.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    A pic might help. Does it depict scenes from the movies? You have to remember there are literally thousands of different editions of these titles.

I don't have a camera with me right now, but this is exactly what it looks like.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd buy that for $2!!!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

I don't have a camera with me right now, but this is exactly what it looks like.
    I have just enough experience with, Tolkien to make me semi-educated and perhaps dangerous, but that looks older than recent editions I have seen, so I would say at $2 you got a deal. Hard to know just how much of one without opening it, but it is Paperback so, you ain't talking big bucks. I could see a $30 price tag. Looks like maybe a '70's or '80's edition is my best guess.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Agree with Bill. I have the same books, minus the slipcase. They are mid to late 70s running into early 80s. I also have A Guide To Middle Earth that matches. Mine are all different printings.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

If you are interested in buying the more collectible editions the fellow at this site is very helpful, educated and will take payments. However, be forewarned, you will be entering into a very, very expensive marketplace. Nothing like "King" collecting at all $$$ wise.

http://www.tolkienbookshelf.com/
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, guys!

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    I'd buy that for $2!!!
    This is why secondhand shops are my best friend!

Gunslinger Apprentice BrighterDeathNow will become famous soon enough

I hope this is the correct thread to be asking this...

What are some of your thoughts on Publishers Copies.

I'm currently looking into buying my first Lettered Edition, and the seller also has a PC of the Lettered Ed. up for grabs. Should I expect to pay more or less for this Publishers Copy? Sorry, this is probably a very silly question.

Ooooops! Double post.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BrighterDeathNow View Post

I'm currently looking into buying my first Lettered Edition, and the seller also has a PC of the Lettered Ed. up for grabs. Should I expect to pay more or less for this Publishers Copy? Sorry, this is probably a very silly question.
    Not a silly question. Most will say pay less, as do I. Maybe less true with older editions.

Country
    Country Flag

Not a silly question. Most will say pay less, as do I. Maybe less true with older editions.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Not a silly question at all. Its been a topic of conversation more than a few times on this forum.
    I think the majority feel that PCs are worth less. Although a PC edition is identical to a numbered/lettered its not "one of a kind" with its own unique number or letter. And its never known just how many PC copies are floating around but there is (or should be) only one lettered "A" etc.
    I fell into collecting PC copies because my first SL (The Stand) was a PC copy and they can be easier to find then a specific number. Personally I place a higher importance on the quality and content of the book versus whether or not it says PC or a specific letter/number.

reality continues to ruin my life

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Edit: TN beat me to it

The topic of PC versus numbered/lettered is discussed every now and then and it seems to be a matter of personal preference, with the majority leaning towards 'PC is worth less than numbered/lettered'. The main reason being that each number or letter is unique, whereas there are potentially dozens of PC copies floating around.

But some people do not care as the book itself is usually the same. Some people also reason that there are (for example) 750 books with a number, 26 with a letter, but only 12 designated lettered PCs - which makes the PC version the scarcest state.

But typically, PCs sell for less.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Just my one cent worth. As a completist I'd rather have a PC AND a lettered AND a numbered AND an artist's edition AND every other state of the book that exists. That's rarely possible though because of the expense involved.
    Last edited by ur2ndbiggestfan; 03-23-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: made cents singular
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I still feel PC copies are kinda special in that they were reserved by the publisher to account for lost or damaged numbered copies. So if they are hitting the market, theoretically the edition sold out and was fully delivered and these are sort of "Insider" copies.

II used to revere them even more, but folks on this site have changed my way of thinking on the issue. I would still pay more and value more a numbered copy.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

It is the correct thread.

The first thing you have to realize is that there are no easy answers.

Is the "PC" a Publisher's extra copy? If so then it is probably worth a little less. If there are hundreds of PC copies then it can be worth considerably less. If it is the last book you need to complete your collection then it may well be worth more.

If it is marked heavily as a PC it has less value to me than one tastefully marked PC, which in turn has less value to me than a copy that is out-of-series, which is of less value than the actual numbered or lettered copy.

If the "PC" is a Presentation Copy reserved to the publisher, artist, editor or author it could be worth a little or quite a bit more.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

It is the correct thread.

The first thing you have to realize is that there are no easy answers.

Is the "PC" a Publisher's extra copy? If so then it is probably worth a little less. If there are hundreds of PC copies then it can be worth considerably less. If it is the last book you need to complete your collection then it may well be worth more.

If it is marked heavily as a PC it has less value to me than one tastefully marked PC, which in turn has less value to me than a copy that is out-of-series, which is of less value than the actual numbered or lettered copy.

If the "PC" is a Presentation Copy reserved to the publisher, artist, editor or author it could be worth a little or quite a bit more.
    Always the more articulate one. You make some extremely valid points as always. I hadn't really considered "Presentation Copies" as you mentioned. A good point. In the end I think it comes down to personal preferences. On top of that, Br!an is a staunch HF supporter and a valued member. A trusted resource. On a very much less serious note...

Spoiler:
    Of course, the fact that you mis-spelled your name, even intentionally, casts a shadow of doubt on your statement's!! LOL Just Kidding around. My NCAA brackets went to hell and I am floundering!! LOL Kentucky is losing at the half!! OMG!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=Merlin1958;836881]
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

Spoiler:
    Of course, the fact that you mis-spelled your name, even intentionally, casts a shadow of doubt on your statement's!!
    Spoiler:
    I tried to get "Brian." I was informed by the Man in Black that there was already a member by that name. Albeit one who joined, made one post, and hasn't been on the site since 2 days after he joined in 2008. Somewhat like certain other organizations, once you're a member, you're always a member.

Helpful hint: If the ! bothers you then just stand on your head.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Frequently, I stand on my head for the benefit of the HF. It's "Flat"!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The auction actually had it listed as a "prototype copy", but just has PC written on the limitation page.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 302 of 567 FirstFirst ... 202 252 292 300 301 302 303 304 312 352 402 ... LastLast