Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 323 of 567 FirstFirst ... 223 273 313 321 322 323 324 325 333 373 423 ... LastLast
Results 8,051 to 8,075 of 14174

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    You might be able to use a bright light to back-light through and read the page 374 gutter code.
    Good idea. It's an 8. So unless there was in fact a 1st with the 1983 jacket date, then I'm guessing the DJ was switched on this one.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    You might be able to use a bright light to back-light through and read the page 374 gutter code.
    Good idea. It's an 8. So unless there was in fact a 1st with the 1983 jacket date, then I'm guessing the DJ was switched on this one.
    The 1983 dust jacket was added to first editions first printings also--it's just the second state dust jacket. \

John

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    The 1983 dust jacket was added to first editions first printings also--it's just the second state dust jacket. \

John
    Ah, okay... then I guess technically there is a 1st edition with the 2nd state DJ. Thanks.

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

Was the winner announced for the Grand Prize?

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

yep see another thread

Rachel REadman won!

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Anyone have better information on which of these is the actual first edition? Both have full number line. One is much heavier paper stock.

I actually see the answer as I type this out, but will leave up for comment. The smaller one with additional writing on front indicates it is a reprint of a previously collected publication. Presumably, the larger, heavier of the two.

Spoiler:

McSweeney’s Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales ed. Michael Chabon (Random House/Vintage 1-4000-3339-X, Apr 2003, $13.95, 478pp, tp, cover by H. J. Ward) Anthology of 20 stories in various genres, previously published in the magazine McSweeney’s Quarterly #10, available only to subscribers. Authors include Stephen King, Harlan Ellison, Michael Moorcock, and Neil Gaiman. Guest editor Chabon provides an introduction.
    The green-titled one came out first according to Locus. On the yellow-titled book's CP, it says simultaneously published as McSweeney's, Issue 10, Winter 2002.

Green CP says first published in 2002. Yellow CP says First Vintage Books Edition, February 2003.

The Green one was the Quarterly magazine #10 that went out to subscribers in 2002.

I don't know how the Yellow Vintage book can be considered simultaneously published a few months later in 2003.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    So I have a serious question here...

Lately I have been feeling a bit "burnt out" on collecting. With all of the limited, rereleases, etc. I feel like the market is just ever expanding, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. At some point though, it's like, where does it end? I'm sure some of you have gone through the burn out phase. So my question is, how do you deal with that?

I really don't want to sell my collection because I feel that is drastic, and would be painful. I have a nice collection so I'd like to keep it preserved.

Any advice/thoughts are appreciated!
    I believe it was, George Beahm, but it doesn't really matter, who said, "Every Collector set his/her own rules for their collection". I think that is a very good way of looking at things. Make your own "Rules" and follow them as you see fit, not how other collectors view them (In general that is).

In light of that statement, FOCUS, on what your particular collection is about, or defined by, or whatever. Don't lose sight of your personal goals.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Lately I have been feeling a bit "burnt out" on collecting. With all of the limited, rereleases, etc. I feel like the market is just ever expanding, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. At some point though, it's like, where does it end? I'm sure some of you have gone through the burn out phase. So my question is, how do you deal with that?

I really don't want to sell my collection because I feel that is drastic, and would be painful. I have a nice collection so I'd like to keep it preserved.

It's funny, I was feeling the same thing this week. I found myself questioning how I could possibly feel that way. I don't know that it's a burn out, just more like feeling exasperated as to the upcoming anniversary editions and the cash investment they'd all require. But yeah, I definitely wouldn't consider selling as an option. My initial reaction was to make some sort of decision to take a "breather" for a while which would mean keeping my money in the bank and not spending it on new releases. Rather focus on maybe filling some holes in the current collection. Of course, missing out on these has a drawback, but at the same time, I might feel better that I'm not constantly running this collecting race to always have everything that comes out in every edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I've hit that point a few times. I just stop trying to buy everything that comes out, but (proof nut that I am) I do keep looking for proofs, etc. If a new issue s/l comes out, I may or not grab it from the publisher, but I may skip it. After a while, the interest comes back.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I know exactly what you mean - I may not be suffering from burn-out but I am increasingly finding it difficult to get the new releases, let alone try to fill the gaps of older books. I can't remember the last time I bought an older S/L.
    Do you read or do you just collect? If you read then read. Enjoy the beautiful books you own. How many books do you own that you haven't even sat down with? Move the focus from "collecting" to enjoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I believe it was, George Beahm, but it doesn't really matter, who said, "Every Collector set his/her own rules for their collection". I think that is a very good way of looking at things. Make your own "Rules" and follow them as you see fit, not how other collectors view them (In general that is).

In light of that statement, FOCUS, on what your particular collection is about, or defined by, or whatever. Don't lose sight of your personal goals.
    I take breaks from collecting altogether from time to time.

Sometimes that has included taking a break from this website since you're all a bunch of enablers! However, those TDT breaks are usually forced by offline demands (work or kids).

Sometimes I take a break from King and go work on my collection of some other author that is far less expensive, like Gaiman, Palahniuk, Hill, etc.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have been feeling like this for a few months now and try to balance my collecting habits from a gotta have it mentality to what I would like in my collection.

Fortunately im not in the collectors bracket of needing every variant of book but then again I did walk into waterstones yesterday to see if any sl's had snuck under the radar for mr mercedes.

As I am feeling a little bemused with the sheer number of books coming out I am looking to sell the books I dont really need and build on the holy grails if I can.

In essense focus the collecting in a diff area other than the anniversary ones (which do look good by the way)

Gunslinger Apprentice ap275 will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

What condition would you say the book is if it looks unread but has a couple of corners or spine slightly bumped? Or if the book is fine but slipcase would have a dent or two? And how would it affect the value of the book, assuming it would be a signed or an out of print book?

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ap275 View Post
    What condition would you say the book is if it looks unread but has a couple of corners or spine slightly bumped? Or if the book is fine but slipcase would have a dent or two? And how would it affect the value of the book, assuming it would be a signed or an out of print book?
    1st Q: Near Fine / Near Fine (NF/NF) -- assumes book and dj have dents in same spots
    2nd Q: Fine/Fine (F/F), slipcase has two dents
    3rd Q: Probably 10% off the top.

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

I go through spells where I loose interest in collecting. As previously said get those books out..feel, touch, smell and read them,,,,,,,gets the juices flowing. I'm gaining new interest with the new king stuff coming. Limited funds also affects my collecting mood.

Brian.

Gunslinger Apprentice ap275 will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ap275 View Post
    1st Q: Near Fine / Near Fine (NF/NF) -- assumes book and dj have dents in same spots
    2nd Q: Fine/Fine (F/F), slipcase has two dents
    3rd Q: Probably 10% off the top.
    Thanks

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by east-tennessee View Post

I go through spells where I loose interest in collecting. As previously said get those books out..feel, touch, smell and read them,,,,,,,gets the juices flowing. I'm gaining new interest with the new king stuff coming. Limited funds also affects my collecting mood.

Brian.
    I was where you were a couple of years ago, and my answer was remarques. I began to make contact with various artists, most of whom are really approachable, and I began to have artists who were associated with my limiteds to remarques for me. People like Vinny Chong, Glen Chadbourne, Alex McVey, Erin Wells, Jill Bauman and Don Maitz. I have had a lot of fun exchanging emails and getting to know the a little. Alex turned me on to a few of his short stories and Glen and Don made the remarque process very collaborative as they gave me the opportunity to help shape the direction of the labors. In the end I have a collection that is much more personal to me. The process has reinvigorated my desire to collect. Remarques are not for everyone, and I only have artists who worked on the book do the art (with one exception). That's one man's tale.

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Hi
    How much would be a good price for the US and/or UK S/L of Prime Evil?
    Thanks

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

$250 max for the US S/L, less for a PC copy.

Betts sold one for $275, A-110. I paid $250 for mine two months ago and a member had a PC listed for $195.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jon10g View Post
    Hi
    How much would be a good price for the US and/or UK S/L of Prime Evil?
    Thanks
    Completed ebay auctions indicate a selling price ranging from $286-$500, with an average price of $377.

Betts recently sold one for $275.

I think you should be happy if you can get one for less than $300.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Betts sales of US Prime Evil:
    $250 - 6 copies
    $275 - 5 copies
    $225 - PC copy

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Thank you all.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Letters from Hell... these ever come up for sale? Are they all framed? How large is it?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Letters from hell - I haven't seen one priced reasonably in a long time. I got mine from someone off craigslist for 150. It was framed with museum glass and a really nice frame, but they don't come that way.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Letters from hell - I haven't seen one priced reasonably in a long time. I got mine from someone off craigslist for 150. It was framed with museum glass and a really nice frame, but they don't come that way.
    I would like to get one.... what prices do you see on them?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Letters from Hell... these ever come up for sale? Are they all framed? How large is it?

The catalog: Article / Discussion
    I think they are going around $250. I'm sure others will chime in. Nick, has one possibly for sale. Collectible-Classifieds#post779057
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

How large is it?
    18"x24" unframed.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I would like to get one.... what prices do you see on them?
    Only 2 sold at Betts in the last 5 years... $300 and $345.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 323 of 567 FirstFirst ... 223 273 313 321 322 323 324 325 333 373 423 ... LastLast