Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 100 of 567 FirstFirst ... 50 90 98 99 100 101 102 110 150 200 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 14172

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Offer 15K to the first person willing to accept that price for the lettered Firestarter-no bullshit just money, or the seller of a complete matching set of The Plant for 6K. Make the offer good for 96 hours. The first to accept gets your money.
    Stand firm. (Prices are not going up).
    If by chance both items are being sold by the same person-offer 20K, take it or leave it.
    The strongest position a buyer has is being able to pay promptly, know the market price(s) , and be firm and willing to walk away.
    There may be only 25 asbestos Firestarters in the world, but at this time there are at least two sellers-and perhaps only one buyer.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Firestarter.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Firestarter--wait not fair-it's mine that I'm selling.
    Hey I dropped it $500. Can't go lower.
    Someday someone will step up and grab it!!!
    Maybe unless a Plant comes along....

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

I read The Plant... Sorry it's just not all that interesting to me. Sure the personal side is great with the publication but Firestarter is an amazing collectible.

Just my personal opinion of course. I can't afford either so let us know what you decide...

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd offer the same advice I tell my kids - if you see something you want, save for it and don't buy anything else. If the Firestarter is what you've been saving for, then I would go for it. If you don't, you may regret it down the line.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep. Hold out for the Firestarter, mate.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    I just need to think out-loud and there isn't anyone I know outside of this forum that would listen without looking at me like I was a madman.

I mentioned in another thread that I had been saving for an Asbestos Firestarter for years. Unfortunately, everytime I start to get close the prices seem to go up. I was hoping that with today's market conditions I would be able to find one in the $16K range -- doesn't seem to be happening (unless anyone here is looking to sell???).

I have been in discussions with a seller regarding a complete set of THE PLANT all signed to Burt Hatlen, which I think is a pretty fun association set. The lowest I can get them for is $8K, which is high, and I can get a mis-matched set a lot cheaper, but the idea of complete set really appeals to me. If I pull the trigger and go for the set, I don't know if I'll ever be able save up enough again if a Firestarter comes to market.

So here's what I'm wrestling with: looking at history, its unlikely a complete set of THE PLANT will come up again anytime soon which makes it pretty rare. Would you hold out for a $16K Firestarter (which may never happen) or buy the set which is available now (and may never come up again).

Thanks for listening.

jim

Since you ask, here's my take. From my view, I'd wait for Firestarter. From the beginning, even before I was out of high school, I have heard about the Asbestos Firestarter. I dreamed about what it would look like until the advent of the internet, and even then I had to wait for about five years or so before I finally found a picture of the cover. In that time I also heard about The Plant, but somehow it never captured my attention as Firestarter did. So, for me anyway, I would hold out for Firestarter.

Having said that, I would also like to point out a few items. Firstly, regading the copies of The Plant, having a matching set of those HAS to be right up there with having a matched set of The Dark Tower series (a grail for many collectors). IF you were to go for that set, you would have plenty left to add another item or three to your collection that you may have had your eye on (if there is anything else on that list). If you get the Firestarter, you are DONE with the buying power. Granted, you also would have one of the TRUE prizes for many in the collecting world. If you have any other items that you want to add, you may want to see what gets you the most bang for your buck, and then ask yourself if you are willing to trade all of those for that Firestarter.

If the choice were mine, and I had the money free and clear to make an honest and hard offer for Firestarter, I'd do it. I'd do it in a moment. If the deal didn't go through, so be it, I tried. Then I'd go and look into the other stuff. Like The New Lieutenant's Rap (another of my grails), The Plant (not even on my radar oddly enough), Six Stories, or even some true one-of-a-kind King items.

That's just my thoughts, for what they're worth.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

If the choice were mine, and I had the money free and clear to make an honest and hard offer for Firestarter, I'd do it. I'd do it in a moment. If the deal didn't go through, so be it, I tried. Then I'd go and look into the other stuff. Like The New Lieutenant's Rap (another of my grails), The Plant (not even on my radar oddly enough), Six Stories, or even some true one-of-a-kind King items.

That's just my thoughts, for what they're worth.
    In a nutshell, that's pretty much what brings me here today: I put my best offer forward for Firestarter, couldn't come to an agreement, so I had to reluctantly move on.

If I thought one might come up in the range I'm looking at, I would hold on, but right now it's feeling more and more like something that will never happen so it started me to thinking about all the other things on my wish list (including The Plant).

I"ll sleep on it and worry about it later.

By the way, what are the two for sale? There is 'M' on ebay -- is the other the one 'B' that's part of the 'asbestos collection'?
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Hold out for the Firestarter. Two of them sold last year at Betts for $14,500 and the economy is getting worse now.

The Plant sets are not uncommon and $6,000 should be the maximum you pay.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am in the process of trying to upgrade my 1st/1st.

I have found a copy of Misery that is in fine condition. The seller is asking $47.00 for it.

Seems a little steep to me but wanted to get your input...

Life is a garden...dig it!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that's a bit steep, but not outrageous.

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Hold out for the Firestarter. Two of them sold last year at Betts for $14,500 and the economy is getting worse now.

I agree.... hold out for the price you want on the book that you want

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Really? President Obama said the economy was getting much better due to his actions.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

The economy is getting WAY better-especially in the last 8 weeks. Our sales have taken off-of course comping against crappy sales last year really helps!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You know, reading some of your posts reminded me of a collecting regret I thought I'd share. It was art not books, but in a lot of ways they are the same. I am a big Yes, Rolling Stones & Clapton fan. I bought several pieces by Roger Dean (artist for Yes albums) when he first put his work on the market back in the day. They were trying to establish a "market" for his work at the time and I was given an opportunity to make an offer on one of three original "Yes Logo" pieces. They were asking $20k at the time and I offered 12k. The piece remained in play for many months and counters went back in forth. We were at 14k when I got a call at 2 am from the San Francisco Art Exchange with Roger Dean in conference (UK Time Diff). They had another offer at 14k and were giving me first shot because of the previous negotiations and the fact that I was one of the first customers to purchase his work. Man, I wanted that piece!!! However, my business partner (who I woke at 2:15 am) advised me to stand fast at 12k!! Like a fool I listened and the piece went for 14k. As a result of the personal contact I developed a speaking relationship with Mr. Dean and met him several times. He was gracious enough to sign several Ltd litho pieces and forwarded me a few choice items from the Rock n Roll HOF when I was in the hospital and couldn't attend his recent reception. However, all of that pales everytime I look at his art on my walls and remember that for a lousy 2 grand I could have had that "Yes Logo" hanging on MY wall!!!!!

Point of all that being (for what its worth), don't let it become a regret for you too. Hold out for the Firestarter you have your heart set on and it will bring you joy everytime you look at it for years to come. Also, Pasiuk should probably throw you a 10% DT member discount!! LOL LOL (j/k)
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Really? President Obama said the economy was getting much better due to his actions.
    Companies are waiting for improvement so they can afford the redundancies they need to make.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Considering we're fighting two wars, and the average Republican cries like a nine-year-old when asked to pay their fair share of a tax burden that's already about the lowest it's ever been, I'd say the economy is better than it has any business being.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by jemaher View Post

I agree that you should out for your price...but the economy isn't worse.

But a complete Plant set signed to the same recipient is very, very rare.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jemaher View Post

I agree that you should out for your price...but the economy isn't worse.

But a complete Plant set signed to the same recipient is very, very rare.
    As I am reading this, I thought would be very interesting to see a list of the recipients of the Plant in King's list. My 3 copies are all inscribed to Michael McDowell. He is the author who's manuscript 'Candles Burning' was completed posthumously and published by Tabitha King a few years back. Good friends of the King family. I am curious who are the other recipients?.

His childhood friend Chris Chesley is one...

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago Lloyd Currey sold Kirby McCauley's set. I have no idea who bought it but I think it sold for $6K which was pretty high in those days.

I have sets signed to Bill Thompson (King's editor at Doubleday) and Kay McCauley (Kirby's sister and co-owner of the agency).

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

A few years ago Lloyd Currey sold Kirby McCauley's set. I have no idea who bought it but I think it sold for $6K which was pretty high in those days.

I have sets signed to Bill Thompson (King's editor at Doubleday) and Kay McCauley (Kirby's sister and co-owner of the agency).
    Bob has two sets. OK, who is surprised?

I recall seeing a Lettered set once. Was that Chris's? Do you own a lettered set Bob?

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post

Bob has two sets. OK, who is surprised?

I recall seeing a Lettered set once. Was that Chris's? Do you own a lettered set Bob?
    I have a lettered set. I don't know who bought Chris's though.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post

I recall seeing a Lettered set once.
    The whole issue of lettered editions by Philtrum Press is unclear to me. To whom were they intended? King's closest friends (Chris Chesley) and business associates (Thompson, the McCauleys) were sent numbered editions of THE PLANT and red numbered editions of THE EYES OF THE DRAGON.

Why were lettered editions done? Lettered copies of THE PLANT are very scarce and lettered copies of THE EYES OF THE DRAGON are among the scarcest of King collectibles. Chris Cavalier and I used to discuss whether or not lettered copies of TEOTD even existed as neither of us had ever seen or heard of one. (Sort of like two atheists or agnostics discussing the possible existence of God, I suppose.) Barry Levin swore he had once seen one but that was our only evidence of their existence. Over time I know of ONE black lettered copy and ONE red lettered copy that have surfaced. No others of which I am aware. Where are those suckers and to whom were they sent?

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe they are "PC/proof" type unnumbered copies that someone added a "letter" to?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 100 of 567 FirstFirst ... 50 90 98 99 100 101 102 110 150 200 ... LastLast