Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Den of geek DT article

Along the Path of the Beam lordmerchant is on a distinguished road

Default Den of geek DT article

Was browsing a favourite Sci-fi news site of mine and came accross an interesting DT article I thought sme of you might be interested in. Apologies if this has been posted already.

10 things we want to see in The Dark Tower adaptation
    http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/8541...daptation.html

Theres a few points in there I disagree on with the author, particularly the no Sex. were British. Having read the series I do not particularly remember it being filled with sex and reference to genitalia!

Another point I disagree with is the author thinks an adaptation would be better without mordred Deschain. While I agree that the character of Mordred could have been played out better, without Mordred a lot of Susanna's motivations in the later novel would be excluded...and without Mordred what would happen to the character of OY?
    Only equals speak the truth. Friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web or regard.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the link - Read it and mostly agree with you! NO Sex? Come on this is the movies! There is a place for it in the tale although it is really not that big!

Got to wonderign about using SK himself to play himnself - who better, BUT they gotta make him look a lot younger than his currently 60ish look!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

methinks whoever wrote that is not much of a fan of the later installments in the series
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with not making Oy comic relief but they gotta include Mordred. They just need to make him scary.
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Gunslinger Apprentice Slender is on a distinguished road

They should definitely include Mordred – he's a fascinating and memorable concept that I'd love to see realised on-screen – but they need to improve him a lot. His book incarnation is not impressive; frankly King dropped the ball. Mordred needs to be a terrifying amalgamation of his fathers, not some kind of silly monster-baby. What happens between Flagg and Mordred should also be changed... the writers must come up with a better, more interesting culmination for Flagg's story. The same goes for Dandelo, whose downfall was more dignified but still rather disappointing. The Crimson King's final scene also needs to be changed – very silly, very anticlimactic. Perhaps Roland could battle these four enemies (or maybe just one or two or three of them) at the foot of the Tower? It's a bit obvious, but I think it would be far better than what we got in the book.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought it was, in general, a pretty good article. Thx for posting it!!!!

I agree with others in that I don't quite "get" the "No-Sex" bit. I'm sure they will not dwell on it in the films. Only where pertinent to the story.

I sorta agree with the Mordred issue. I don't think you can eliminate him altogether, but certainly his role in the story could be condensed to the more pertinent plot points if done right. They could probably get away with trimming WotC and SoS a bit by reducing the Calla story and Callahan's back story (or covering that with the TV series somehow) and streamlining Sussanah's side trips a bit.

Anyway, it's fun to speculate!!!!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I saw the article yesterday! I considered posting it here.... then somehow forgot or got side-tracked. Good to see it was linked too. (I actually posted something on that article. My twinner is Marvmarble in DoG world. )

Yeah, it's a good article. I'm not sure I agree with the meta stuff being included in the film/series though. I think the save the Tower/ save the Rose threads would be fine for a TV production. Still, if they do, it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

And yes, they should include Mordred. He is a good monster idea*, even if he didn't amount to as much as he could have in execution.

Spoiler:
    I'm not keen on bugs, so a giant spider with a kiddies face sprouting out the back. That looks like a good nightmare image to me. Shame about the sick horse.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought Mordred was fucking creepy.

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I thought it was, in general, a pretty good article. Thx for posting it!!!!

I agree with others in that I don't quite "get" the "No-Sex" bit. I'm sure they will not dwell on it in the films. Only where pertinent to the story.

I sorta agree with the Mordred issue. I don't think you can eliminate him altogether, but certainly his role in the story could be condensed to the more pertinent plot points if done right. They could probably get away with trimming WotC and SoS a bit by reducing the Calla story and Callahan's back story (or covering that with the TV series somehow) and streamlining Sussanah's side trips a bit.

Anyway, it's fun to speculate!!!!!!!!!
    As a big fan of the Wolves of the Calla, I'd love to see that backstory kept it, but agree it isn't integral
    For me, Mordred is integral, and needs to be made as creepy as possible, I think the Whalen pix of him are pretty creepy and with good CGI, no problem. They could eliminate Dandelo, but that part ties into the poem that inspires the work

I think Clint Eastwood needs a cameo--maybe Jaffords grandpere?

As for the sex, I did not feel any in the book felt gratuitous to me, and I'm not Brittish, so include it!
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just a random thought, but I just watched "The Outlaw Josey Wales" the other night for the umpteenth time and when you come down to it, Nobody, just Nobody could play Roland other than Clint. The role was literally written for him and if you watch the flick you'll see why. Even more so than "The GB the U". When I read Roland, I see "Josey Wales". The movie is actually a sort of "parody"(?) of the DT set in the Old West.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Slender is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by beam*seeker View Post
    Jafford's grandpere isn't 'cool' enough to be played by Clint Eastwood. Steven Deschain or Cort would be better fits – if he's in these films, he needs to play a gunslinger. Maybe he could even be Arthur Eld – the definitive, archetypal, proto-gunslinger – in a brief, mythic flashback.

When I first read The Gunslinger, I pictured Roland as Hugh Jackman (who looks very like Clint Eastwood). After the palaver, when the book said that Roland woke up ten years older, I imagined him as Clint Eastwood. That would be a fantastic cameo if they were only planning to make one film.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by beam*seeker View Post
    As a big fan of the Wolves of the Calla, I'd love to see that backstory kept it, but agree it isn't integral
    For me, Mordred is integral, and needs to be made as creepy as possible, I think the Whalen pix of him are pretty creepy and with good CGI, no problem. They could eliminate Dandelo, but that part ties into the poem that inspires the work
    I've often thought Walter could have taken that role if he hadn't been
    Spoiler:
    killed by Mordred when he was. He was the original hoary cripple after all. Even if he wasn't actually crippled.

No, bad fit as Slender said. Mind you I think he would be bad for Cort too. He could play the character but his look is all wrong. I started to think maybe he could play Steven Deschain... then realised he's too old for that either, considering Steven is likely younger than the present day Roland when we see him.

As for the sex, I did not feel any in the book felt gratuitous to me, and I'm not British, so include it!
    I agree, mostly. And I am British. (I think they should probably leave out the bit where
    Spoiler:
    young Detta, er, 'tickles' herself while standing on the blue plate
    , but there really a whole lot of the the rumpy pumpy overall. Oh and I don't really want to see
    Spoiler:
    Roland and Susan at it either (he is 14 after all!) but the sex can be there without being explicit, if that makes sense.