Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should I read Stand, or Stand uncut?

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

"Why would you not want to read the entire story the author intended?"

Although I respect your snooty reply, The Stand was quite an excellent read before the Uncut version was released.
    It's all about the story, I'm not really sure The Kid and Frannie's fight with her mom makes the story better but they are a nice addition. The core of story is there regardless but if you read the cut first you have something to look forward to when you read it again.

Also, the Cut version takes place in the 70s when King wrote it rather then the Uncut which had been updated. I think that's pretty cool too.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post

Although I respect your snooty reply, The Stand was quite an excellent read before the Uncut version was released.
    It's all about the story, I'm not really sure The Kid and Frannie's fight with her mom makes the story better but they are a nice addition. The core of story is there regardless but if you read the cut first you have something to look forward to when you read it again.

Also, the Cut version takes place in the 70s when King wrote it rather then the Uncut which had been updated. I think that's pretty cool too.
    Dude, I really was not trying to be "snooty", it was just MHO is all. Like I said "to each his own". If, it came off that way, then my apologies. There are valid opinions for either version. I just prefer the "Uncut", but that's my preference.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Dude, I really was not trying to be "snooty", it was just MHO is all. Like I said "to each his own". If, it came off that way, then my apologies. There are valid opinions for either version. I just prefer the "Uncut", but that's my preference.
    I didn't think it sounded snooty. I still question your intelligence with your views on Lost , you know... YOU ARE KIND OF SNOOTY WHEN IT COMES TO LOST! I digress... this particular quote was not snooty.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=Merlin1958;577527]
    It's cool. No worries.
    Great book either way.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by haunted.lunchbox View Post

I didn't think it sounded snooty. I still question your intelligence with your views on Lost , you know... YOU ARE KIND OF SNOOTY WHEN IT COMES TO LOST! I digress... this particular quote was not snooty.
    I'm sorry, I don't mean to be. It's just that IMHO "Lost" was a HUGE let-down in the end for such a ground-breaking and great show for 5 1/2 season's. It gets me going because it coulda been sooooo much more and that was what I was expecting. Not "Magic Island Butt-plugs" LOL, but, that is just one man's humble opinion.

If you were happy with it, don't let me cast a shadow on it. I'm just an "Old fart"!!! LOL Sincere Apologies, for any "Lost related-snootiness"
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by haunted.lunchbox View Post

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be. It's just that IMHO "Lost" was a HUGE let-down in the end for such a ground-breaking and great show for 5 1/2 season's. It gets me going because it coulda been sooooo much more and that was what I was expecting. Not "Magic Island Butt-plugs" LOL, but, that is just one man's humble opinion.

If you were happy with it, don't let me cast a shadow on it. I'm just an "Old fart"!!! LOL Sincere Apologies, for any "Lost related-snootiness"
    Your VERY HUMBLE opinion indeed!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

OK, OK I'm trying to apologize for my opinion here!!!

LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

John F. Kennedy brandnewfan is on a distinguished road

I've only read the original cut version. It was pretty great, I can only imagine how awesome the uncut version is.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

read it, brand

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i have to agree with "LOST" i was let down by the finale as well. it felt like they left to much out! it should have been even longer than it was cause they left so much out. part of it was cause of how much time they had episode wise. anyways that's my opinion though as well.

anyways, ayuh read uncut version of "The Stand" i've read both & i love the uncut version better as well.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The Uncut Stand is a much, much richer read than the original version. The character development is SO much better!

John

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

well said. though if memory serves me right, the orignal was in print for many years before "SK' took that out of stores. it's also funny that many king fans well not counting anyone here anyways. don't know there are 2 versions of the book "The Stand" i've talked with people about this in the past.

so they aren't i take it Die Hard "SK" fans

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is there a site anywhere that lists all the differences between the two versions like there was for The Gunslinger?

Citizen of Gilead kluker is on a distinguished road kluker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

We have one of the original Stand prints

Traveler proverbs32 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

You can't get the "Normal" per 1991 The Stand anymore can you?.
    I would love to read that, But I'm glad the uncut version is the one everyone can freely buy and enjoy.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Proverbs, you can still find the early Stand in used bookstores, etc., but I'd strongly suggest you stay with the Uncut version. It's a much deeper read.

John

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really love the Uncut version for the majority of the book, but I prefer the ending of the original version because it keeps thing ambiguous with Stu saying "I don't know." It left my mind to work in 2 directions and create 2 different worlds beyond the story, when the Uncut version removes that ambiguity and leaves us with just one direction to imagine. Now, I know the Walking Dude abides but give me the uncertainty of the original version.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

read the abridged graphic novel instead

Along the Path of the Beam costanza will become famous soon enough

Read the Uncut edition of The Stand and the original version of The Gunslinger.

Along the Path of the Beam rico567 is on a distinguished road

I've read both. The only thing the extra 400 pages do is make an already large book able to function as a doorstop.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I've only read the original. It blew my mind at a young age. I loved it! I have the uncut in a box somewhere. Gotta dig it out and read. Somehow, even with all the added chunky goodness, I don't think it will have as much of an effect as the original did on me.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Read 'em both. Then watch the miniseries and laugh at how shitty it (mostly) is.

Gunslinger Apprentice Steve will become famous soon enough Steve's Avatar

Each book has their good and bad qualities.

The uncut version is longer and has more plot threads, some of which are really good (The Kid, the "no great loss" chapter, etc.) and its updated nature and AIDS references to make it more prescient, but it does have a tendency to ramble a bit. The original version is tighter, but you lose out on some pretty good scenes. It may not be what King intended, but it's the first book of his I read and I loved it.

I prefer the uncut version in the end, but you can't go wrong either way.

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
    -- Hoban Washburne

"What does that make us?"
    "Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds and Zoe Washburne

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2