Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 506 of 714 FirstFirst ... 6 406 456 496 504 505 506 507 508 516 556 606 ... LastLast
Results 12,626 to 12,650 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Working on the Ender Quartet. HELL YEAH!
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

John Dies at the End.

This is... not what I expected. I'm still trying to decide how I feel about it. Part of me is just so happy to be reading a new book it doesn't even matter.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-mai View Post
    John Dies at the End.

This is... not what I expected. I'm still trying to decide how I feel about it. Part of me is just so happy to be reading a new book it doesn't even matter.
    I LOVE that book. The sequel is great as well........but sort of more of the same, so I guess it is only great if you decide you like that one./
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

JDaTE is part of what i consider to be a rarely seen genre nowadays, weird fiction

Magician by Raymond E Feist

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So, I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but it's pretty funny. I actually laughed a little
    Spoiler:
    when the ammo fell out of the deer.

That said, the writing is a little clunky. Also, I think part of what's putting me off here is this reminds me A LOT of someone I already know. It sounds like he wrote it. So it's sounding a little less original to me than I think it should... or maybe everyone knows "that guy" and that's why they like it. Thoughts, anyone?

Country
    Country Flag

Well, shit. That got really dark, really fast. The attempt to return to humor with a gorilla-crab is not working for me at all.

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

wait till you read Spiders

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, maybe I won't be reading Spiders, then.

Country
    Country Flag

Finally finished JDatE. Still don't really know how I feel about it. Parts of it were really funny and clever. The whole
    Spoiler:
    "I was gang raped in the locker room and carved out my rapist's eyes with a knife" thing was a little too much for me. I'm just really sick of sexual assault in my media in general. I feel like pretty much every book, show, movie, has some sort of violation, and I'm just over it. It's not specific to this book, just a pet peeve of mine that this is somehow the go-to way to make your story "edgy" or give someone a tragic back story.

That said, the next book I got out of the library is Horns. So I'm deciding if I want to read it, or just take it back and get something else instead.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Recently completed, in order:

NOS4A2, by Joe Hill
    WHILE MORTALS SLEEP, by Kurt Vonnegut
    THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE, by Neil Gaiman.
    SMOKE AND MIRRORS, by Neil Gaiman.
    GONE GIRL, by Gillian Flynn. Fantastic book.
    CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, by Roald Dahl (re-read from my childhood to my kids)L
    DOUBLE FEATURE, by Own King. Really enjoyed it.

Current reading: EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE, by Jonathan Safran Foer.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Finally finished JDatE. Still don't really know how I feel about it. Parts of it were really funny and clever. The whole
    Spoiler:
    "I was gang raped in the locker room and carved out my rapist's eyes with a knife" thing was a little too much for me. I'm just really sick of sexual assault in my media in general. I feel like pretty much every book, show, movie, has some sort of violation, and I'm just over it. It's not specific to this book, just a pet peeve of mine that this is somehow the go-to way to make your story "edgy" or give someone a tragic back story.

That said, the next book I got out of the library is Horns. So I'm deciding if I want to read it, or just take it back and get something else instead.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja06DJrFe5E
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

NOS4A2, by Joe Hill
    CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, by Roald Dahl (re-read from my childhood to my kids)L

You should start keeping a list in the 2013 Read Book List (if you want), I find it very convenient.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

NOS4A2, by Joe Hill

You should start keeping a list in the 2013 Read Book List (if you want), I find it very convenient.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Awesome book! One of Straub's best! (pretty poor movie adaptation, though!)

sk

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Spoiler:

Care to elaborate?

I decided to continue with reading Horns. I love it.

Spoiler:
    When he confronts Lee and Lee's immune to his horns, I was just like GOD DAMN IT! I don't know why I expected the story to resolve that quickly.

ASST. HAVEN FUND WHORE SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16 has a spectacular aura about SirFolio16's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished reading King's Joyland and am now re-reading The Shining in order to get ready for Doctor Sleep.

And just like the first time I read it I am loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Spoiler:

Care to elaborate?

I decided to continue with reading Horns. I love it.

Spoiler:
    When he confronts Lee and Lee's immune to his horns, I was just like GOD DAMN IT! I don't know why I expected the story to resolve that quickly.

Oh, just that you didn't love the book unequivocally.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Awesome book! One of Straub's best! (pretty poor movie adaptation, though!)

sk
    yes, so far it's the only Straub book I really love

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Try Shadowland, Jean - or maybe you have.
    After more than 30 years, it's still my favorite Straub.

sk

Country
    Country Flag

A quarter of the way through, and it's my favorite Parker novel-- every word is so good. After the last one I read, The Hunter, the first of the Parker novels, I was glad I started with Comeback. Hunter was still incredible prose, but I felt Stark was still finding the voice a bit (but that could be from starting with Comeback). The way Stark seamlessly interjects the surroundings of his story is masterful.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Try Shadowland, Jean - or maybe you have.
    After more than 30 years, it's still my favorite Straub.

sk
    I will, thank you!

Country
    Country Flag

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. I definitely prefer his other book, Middlesex. This one isn't holding my attention.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Now, that is a good book!!! Enjoy!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 506 of 714 FirstFirst ... 6 406 456 496 504 505 506 507 508 516 556 606 ... LastLast