Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 479 of 714 FirstFirst ... 379 429 469 477 478 479 480 481 489 529 579 ... LastLast
Results 11,951 to 11,975 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

totally agree with what WDIL said, minus the Bag of Bones part

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, they both deal with the subjects of grief and loss, although Bag of Bones is better.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

hmm mmm mmm

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    For me it wasn't about action with Insomnia but the mood.
    Maybe I was too immature to fully grasp the "mood" of Insomnia. It's definitely not at the top of the list for if/when I get to a full re-read of King's canon haha.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    hmm mmm mmm
    I finished Odd Thomas and dove right into Forever Odd.

The ending of Odd Thomas... damn. I mean, I knew about Stormy because I read a later book in the series but I have to admit that it took me completely off guard. Everything from where she visits him in the ICU and their time alone, until the end of the book is perfection.

Country
    Country Flag

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Bag of Bones is one of my favourite King books, as is Insomnia. Duma Key was very good but I don't see any similarities with it from other books of his, other than an older main characters. Duma Key actually creeped me out more than The Shining did. Insomnia to me is easy top ten books stand alone books he's written, maybe even top five.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, come on -- if I had been handed a copy of Duma Key with no warning, no cover, and no title page, I would have positively identified it as King within the first few pages. Nearly all of his books have countless similarities to each other. It's only whether it is especially or most similar to this or that specific other one that seems debatable.

Country
    Country Flag

I see no contradiction between the two above posts (unless we insist on interpreting the word "any" literally, which seems to be counterproductive)

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps I read too much into Matt's assertion. Beg pardon if so.

Country
    Country Flag

I, on the other hand, found myself schizophrenically agreeing with three points: yours, Mattrick's, and WDIL's ("DK exceeded at everything Insomnia failed at")

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Dang, that barely registered ... couldn't get through the sound of my head swelling over the preceding sentence, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    ... For the record, I'm agreeing with you. To me, DK exceeded at everything Insomnia failed at. ...
    TY for repeating the point. For the record, I agree with that, generally. Less forced and less bloated than Insomnia. But I'm not so sure my own faith in SK was really suffering at that point in time especially, anyway.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

So Salem's Lot and Duma Key read the same? King's style has changed drastically since his early days. I think his greatest books are still to come. Duma Key and Lisey's were the most personal stories, along with Hearts In Atlantis, that King ever wrote. And King has never told many personal stories, great stories yes, but separate from himself. We've seen more of him edge into his stories (his actual appearance in TDT aside), his Red Sox love in The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, his recovery from an accident and retirement and questioning if he should still write in Duma Key, and then Lisey's story was obviously written with his wife in mind, coping through his eventual death with nothing left but the nightmares he'd wrote. While there is still noseeums and things we expect from King, these works contain a depth of genuine feeling most of his works do not. And as for King's style, well that changes constantly. With Duma Key in particular, especially in it's first sixty pages, I felt it was very un-king like. And I thought it also contained his best use of an ethereal force. I personally saw a drastic change in tone with his most recent books, even Under The Dome was pedal to the medal, when King's forte is the slow burn.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    So Salem's Lot and Duma Key read the same? King's style has changed drastically since his early days. ...
    Perhaps so, but I do think those two still are more alike than different in contrast with an entirely different author's works, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I thought it also contained his best use of an ethereal force.
    Respectfully disagree. That has to be Bag of Bones.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a very close second for me, so I can concur with that.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mattrick and everyone who hasn't: you should post your ranking of the King's works in the ranking thread.

Country
    Country Flag

DK is reading more like Cell, style-wise, than any other book I have read. I would disagree (respectfully, of course) that SL reads anything like it in terms of style. I can tell it's modern King-- a lot less dressy than older works. But obviously we all have differing opinions and no one will agree with another all the times in terms of tastes.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Koontz - Forever Odd
    Matheson - I Am Legend
    Farris - The Fury

Still doing the horror month thing.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bentley Little - The Burning

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished listening to Horns, by Joe Hill

Now listening to The Annotated Sword of Shannara, by Terry Brooks.

I read this book back in college and saw the audio at the library and picked it up; didnt even realize it was an "annotated" version. Scott Brick is the narrator and I have listened to several audio books with him. Every now and then the story is interrupted by Terry Brooks to make a small comment or two - sometimes an explanation, sometimes to identify where the story being referred to can be found, sometimes to identify the foreshadowing. I thought it was going to be annoying to get interrupted but I actually like it.

I am just finishing up with The Twelve which sits on my nightstand, and tehn I plan on reading Ketchum's The Woman
    And on my Kindle I am rereading an assortment of old Stephen King stories (unpuiblished/uncollected) and just downloaded Swan Song by McCammon for $1.99.
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Country
    Country Flag

Jack Ketchum - Old Flames

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Re-reading "Hugo Award winners" compilation "Volume I" which includes "The Big Front Yard" (which I highly recommend) and "Hellbound Train" another "oldie, but goodie"!!! Sci-Fi from the "Golden Era" really works!!! Try it!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I am currently reading a book about the Hell's Angels
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Dan Simmons - Carrion Comfort

+ Reply to Thread
Page 479 of 714 FirstFirst ... 379 429 469 477 478 479 480 481 489 529 579 ... LastLast