Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 313 of 714 FirstFirst ... 213 263 303 311 312 313 314 315 323 363 413 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,825 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I really hope all the boring passages about European banking, finances and politics don't prove to be crucial to the plot because I'm skimming right over them.

I ordered Such A Nice Guy and Still A Nice Guy by Phil Torcivia today. I stumbled across him on Facebook. He's amusing and he talks to me on there. I figured he deserved my 20 bucks LOL.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well lets see.........finishing up a re-read of The Talisman and next will be Horns by Joe Hill. I thought I'd give the kid a whirl since I so love the old man's work!!!! Hopefully I'l enjoy that and move on to his other titles.

Seriously considering the William Blatty offering of Exorcist/Legion (Gift Edition) over at Cemetery Dance, but I just hate giving those clowns money!!!! Still don't have Riding the Bullet or SODII!!!!! However, I will most likely break down as that was a great book (s) that I haven't read since High school, which is too long ago to mention!!!! LOL

I'd appreciate any reviews from folks who have read "Horns"?????????

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Twilight

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Twilight
    and? i read it and never bothered reading the follow ups. its bored me in all honesty

I am re-reading the time travelers wife. (was in the middle of Wizard and Glass, but i am waiting for sister to catch me up)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Twilight

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

It's funny and maybe a little sad how Twilight is such a joke now. I read the Twilight books a couple of years ago to make sure that they really were as bad as I made them out to be in my mind, and because for some reason the fact that so many people were reading something I hadn't read was like eating away at me. All in all, they were pretty predictable and dull. I thought the first one wasn't as bad to get through, the 2nd and 3rd were miserable, and the 4th had a few interesting parts, but was disappointing. For me, the books really didn't have much literary fiber or many cool/scary vampirey things happening, so the bottom line was that I waited 4 books for
    Spoiler:
    Bella and Edward to have sex, and then when they did, it was the most anticlimactic (ha-ha) thing ever.

For whatever reason, I always like to hear that someone (other than my prepubescent next door neighbor) is reading the books. I'm interested to hear how you feel about them Daghain.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Gunslinger Apprentice LineofEld is on a distinguished road LineofEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm finally going back home to The Talisman.
    "I have long stopped asking why the mad do mad things."

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Frangit View Post
    It's funny and maybe a little sad how Twilight is such a joke now. I read the Twilight books a couple of years ago to make sure that they really were as bad as I made them out to be in my mind, and because for some reason the fact that so many people were reading something I hadn't read was like eating away at me. All in all, they were pretty predictable and dull. I thought the first one wasn't as bad to get through, the 2nd and 3rd were miserable, and the 4th had a few interesting parts, but was disappointing. For me, the books really didn't have much literary fiber or many cool/scary vampirey things happening, so the bottom line was that I waited 4 books for
    Spoiler:
    Bella and Edward to have sex, and then when they did, it was the most anticlimactic (ha-ha) thing ever.

For whatever reason, I always like to hear that someone (other than my prepubescent next door neighbor) is reading the books. I'm interested to hear how you feel about them Daghain.
    Ah! I felt the same about the sex scene.
    Spoiler:
    Or the lack of.

I have a friend who is utterly obsessed with the series and I complained about it to her. She said: It's left open so you can imagine what happens. I said: "No, it's her job as a writer to tell ME what happens."
    It's a book, not a Mad Lib, I shouldn't have to fill in the blanks.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'm about halfway through so far, and I have to say, it's not all that exciting. Really, the only reason I'm reading them is so I can mock them properly.

There's something about Meyer's writing style that sort of bugs me, it just doesn't flow well, or something. It's like she's trying to use all these big words, but she's not doing a good job of it.

Overall, it's not bad, but it's not in any way exceptional or worth all the hype, IMHO. I totally see why Stephen King didn't think she could write.

ETA: Okay, after a couple more chapters of really looking for it (see, an English major does come in handy sometimes LOL) she sounds like a 34 year old trying to sound like a 17 year old. It's not working for me. At all. I suspected that was it all along, but I wanted to be sure. She doesn't seem to have the ability to put herself into the head of a 17 year old, but tries to write a 17 year old point of view from her perspective as an adult.

Again, I totally get why King thinks she sucks.

The story isn't TOO bad, in and of itself, but her writing isn't believable. I don't believe Bella is 17. I believe Bella is channeling an adult. Just my two cents.

As one example, I don't believe there are too many 17 year olds who use the word "chagrined".

I could pull up more, but if I get that ambitious I'll put it in the Twilight thread.

Hmm. I may be bored enough to write an actual paper about that.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Like Water For Chocolate, by Laura Esquivel

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

As one example, I don't believe there are too many 17 year olds who use the word "chagrined".
    Hey! Does that expand to 18-year-olds? Because I've used words a tad more advanced that chagrinned for years...Or maybe it's jut Bella for whom the word seems unbelievable? I've read the books...actually, I read them when they were new (as in, before the craze, when it wasn't a literary sin, practically), so I'm aware of the writing style...not the greatest, by any means.

I just started The Belgariad series by David Eddings for the, ummmm...ninth time? Something like that.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm currently on a Heinlein kick. I just finished The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress and have moved on to Time Enough for Love. Geez, I love his story-telling capabilities!

John

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and I'll admit I was disappointed. It was good, mind you, but a letdown. The way all you have carried on I was expecting a spectacular story that knocked me off my feet. Instead, it was just a read and toss Wal Mart thriller.

I think this may be part of my problem with it:

Spoiler:
    I bet Lisabeth seems exotic and exciting and intriguing with her hidden past, buried hurts and stoic toughness. Bullshit. You try being responsible for someone like her...trying to find them some where to live, a school to attend, etc...It ain't fun.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post

Hey! Does that expand to 18-year-olds? Because I've used words a tad more advanced that chagrinned for years...Or maybe it's jut Bella for whom the word seems unbelievable? I've read the books...actually, I read them when they were new (as in, before the craze, when it wasn't a literary sin, practically), so I'm aware of the writing style...not the greatest, by any means.

I just started [I]The Belgariad/I] series by David Eddings for the, ummmm...ninth time? Something like that.
    The Belgariad is one of my favorite fantasy works. Another of my favorites is Dragonlance Chronicles.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I read the first book of The Belgariad and HATED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. I can't stand Edding's writing style.

And alkanto, I think it's that Bella sounds like a 34 year old trying to sound like a 17 year old. The whole writing style is unbelievable.

And OH MY GOD, could we go on ANY MORE about how awesome/beautiful/amazing Edward is? *gag*

My Mood
    Angelic

Oh Edward, you are so beautiful and perfect!

*dramatic sigh*
    *throw hand over eyes*

I'm so plain and clumsy

*trips over piece of lint, goes crashing in to a pyramid of pork and beans, falls, gashes forearm and ruptures spleen*

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

OMG B that is hysterical! I just read that out to DBF, who hasn't read the books, and even he's laughing his ass off.

My Mood
    Angelic

I hope you did it in the proper, whiny, angsty voice.
    Be sure to show him the blog I gave you.

Country
    Country Flag

How could you not love The Belgariad?? It's so typically poor-boy-come-important!!

And I will admit to having read Twilight. Some of my friends talked me into it. I agree... how many times can you possibly talk about how beautiful someone is. Get over it.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I just really HATE Edding's writing style. And, I didn't think the story was so mind-bendingly original. DBF hyped it way too hard, apparently.

And the further I get into Twilight, the dumber it gets. This relationship is the trainwreck of the century. This is what happens when you give a Mormon a word processor.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is what happens when you give a Mormon a word processor.
    Quoted just for the sake of quoting. I feel it needed to be done.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Traveler Mo-linoDeViento is on a distinguished road Mo-linoDeViento's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just picked up two new books...The Count of Monte Cristo (no, I still haven't read it...don't stone me!) and Savage (by Laymon). I'm reading Savage now, I love it (of course...gotta love Laymon's work) and I'm only a couple of chapters in.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Hey Bruno, how's Twilight ? Have you decided which team you're on yet ?
    fuck you guys.

fuck you long, and fuck you hard.

That being said, I'm Team Mike.

Finished the books friday, they were pretty meh. Seemed like they took the plot to a season of buffy, made it totally retarded, and then changed the names and called it Twilight. Oh, and in these books, "Buffy" is a dumb whiny bitch who likes abusive boyfriends and cockteasing her friends.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I'm reading The Dragon King by R.A. Salvatore, the third book of his Crimson Shadow series. Having read all of his Drizzt novels I decided to give this series a try. There's heavily derivative elements, but I still find the book to be enjoyable with a fun "Rebellion against the evil wizard and his demon-possessed wizard-dukes" and the action sequences he is famous for.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

brother John is issued a mild warning for fucking our mutual friends long and hard...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 313 of 714 FirstFirst ... 213 263 303 311 312 313 314 315 323 363 413 ... LastLast