Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Suzannah and the Chap storyline - love it or hate it? *spoilers*

Threaded View

Traveler horseshoe is on a distinguished road

Default Suzannah and the Chap storyline - love it or hate it? *spoilers*

warning: DT7 spoilers inside!
    Spoiler:
    although I prefer happier endings, I could live with the ending of Roland being reset to the desert.

Unfortunately the problem in these books, which prevents them from being the ultimate epos á la "lord of the rings", is that the story became quite ludicrous with book 6.

The whole idea to get a main character pregnant, and then with a demon-child was a bad choice, and SK f*cked it up completely by basically making the whole story-arch obsolete, because if you examine it closely, the whole Suzannah pregnant bullsh*t only resulted in a disgusting, but ultimately powerless CK child which totally failed to deliver anything but some gross reading.

I got books 6+7 years ago, started to read, but always quit again, despite my longing to find out what happens next to the party. I even read the whole 13 books of "The Wheel Of Time" by Robert Jordan, until I finally decided to listen to the final 2 Tower books via the audiobook version.

Ok, finally I decided to face the ludicrous Suzannah story again, and when I reached the part where the baby "gets faxed over to Mia", I was first totally confused. WTF? There are now suddenly 2 bodies, and Suzannah isn't giving birth? I had to listen to this part like 3 times because I wanted to read an explanation how the hell Suzannah split into 2 bodies again, one being the demon, and the other herself. Of course there is no "explanation" besides some funny hair-dryer machine on Suzannah's head.

Ok, so now Mia gives birth and gets eaten. Pretty gross reading, and not quite after my liking, but anyway. Unfortunately this baby turned out to be just a weak clone of Gollum "good fish... Mordred is ah-hungry", who has a stupid daddy complex for quite a while and does nothing of any importance until Roland wastes him in a pretty unspectacular way.

The "happy endling" for Jake, Suze, Oy, and Eddie in another dimension was total BS either. Who wants to see his heroes returned to a boring ordinary life? Not me.
    The part with the breakers and the assault was pretty good again.

To sum it up: Stephen King had his hand on an epic story, but he screwed it up. Maybe he can fix it, by writing 2 alternate books 6+7, or at least write a book about Roland's adventures when he gets reset to the desert...

So to reply to SK: I didn't fly through the story to reach the end, and I kinda like the ending, but the last 2 books were to the most part ridiculous crap any high school student could imagine a better story, and you ruined your Epos!
    Last edited by Darkthoughts; 08-27-2011 at 03:31 PM.