Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 254 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 130 180 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BigSchu22 View Post
    Whatever studio finally green-lights this project is still taking a big risk. There is obviously a huge fanbase for the Dark Tower Series, but the fanbase is much less broad than Harry Potter or even Hunger Games. Plus, those series have the added bonus of children dragging their parents along (or vice versa). I don't think DT appeals to the younger audience.

I'm very very worried that DT will fall victim to the usuall Hollywood attempts to market the series to a wider audience, dumb it down, and throw in rediculous Hollywood archetypes to increase their revenue. Just look at what Orson Scott Card has gone through trying to get the Ender's Game movie made. He's faced constant attempts to re-organize and change his work to fit the big screen. Luckily, he has refused for the past 20 something years, but I'm not sure what's going on now especially since the director of the new Ender's Game movie's last work was the Wolverine Origins movie, which was horrible.

I really hope this project gets the treatment it deserves.
    I hear ya. That's why I agree HBO (under "Pablo's" terms) would be the ideal vehicle. Anything less than that kind of commitment from HBO though............................................ .......Anyone remember "Carnivale"? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice BigSchu22 is on a distinguished road BigSchu22's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Default HBO...

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I hear ya. That's why I agree HBO (under "Pablo's" terms) would be the ideal vehicle. Anything less than that kind of commitment from HBO though............................................ .......Anyone remember "Carnivale"? LOL
    Yeah, HBO may be the way to go. The budget and production value is much much higher than the typical miniseries adaptation and we all know how past TV miniseries adaptations of King novels usually turn out; although, I do enjoy some of them. HBO would probably have the balls as well since it's a subscriber channel, they can get away with a more limited focus. Either way, I really hope Hollywood/corporate intervention doesn't ruin this.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I'm very very worried that DT will fall victim to the usual Hollywood attempts to market the series to a wider audience, dumb it down, and throw in ridiculous Hollywood archetypes to increase their revenue.
    This is my biggest fear as well. It's exactly what they did with the Hearts in Atlantis movie. In fact, with the changes they made, the title "Hearts in Atlantis" didn't fit at all since they didn't include the story from the book that referred to that phrase.

They also changed the ending and the fate of Carol, which really sucked. I liked the ending of the book much better.

Traveler CaptHowdy is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

From Ron Howards twitter:

"Ron Howard ‏ @RealRonHoward
    Spent day today in a story session on...Dark Tower :-) Terrific meeting w/ Akiva Goldsman & Erica Huggins No timetables but very positive"

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

YES.

I'm hoping that the delay causes Bardem to resign and we're able to make another attempt at bringing Viggo Mortensen on board.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    YES.

I'm hoping that the delay causes Bardem to resign and we're able to make another attempt at bringing Viggo Mortensen on board.

agreed

John F. Kennedy XerxesRex is on a distinguished road XerxesRex's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I wish HBO would just commit to a 19-episode epic series, with a two-hour premiere and a two-hour finale. I think 21 hours should be plenty to tell the entire saga without cutting too much or too much padding.
    Well said, although the other premium cable production companies are doing awesome work as well!

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Please no Bardem... Has anyone else ever thought that Josh Holloway might play a good Roland?

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

I still want either Viggo or Hugh Jackman as Roland.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

My fear with HBO is that some genius would say, "How about we give Susannah legs, but no shirt, huh?"

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    My fear with HBO is that some genius would say, "How about we give Susannah legs, but no shirt, huh?"
    Well if it was Starz, I would be more worried about that
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    Funny, yet deeply disturbing in that it just could happen with those "Bozo's"!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, if they MUST do that I hope they pick the right ummm....actress.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Traveler Asharak is on a distinguished road

Definitely think a TV series adaption of the entire series is the only way to go. Don’t really see how a total of three movies, with a tigh in series (meaning not essential to get the story) would resemble the 8 book series at all. There’s just too much story, to make anything less than 7 - 9 movies. How would one build an effective narrative for a trilogy and still have anything resembling the books? So much plot would have to be dropped, I doubt there would be much similarity between the movies and the books except for the characters themselves.

An HBO adaption would be ideal, 3 seasons of 12 episodes would work well I think, my suggestion for how they should do it:

S1: Books 1-3
    S2: Books 4, 8, Little Sisters of Eluria
    s3: Books 5-7

Traveler oil-man is on a distinguished road oil-man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If hollywood can take Lt. Dan's legs away digitally, they can take Suze's legs away. No problem. In your listing of the film, are you including THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by oil-man View Post
    If hollywood can take Lt. Dan's legs away digitally, they can take Suze's legs away. No problem. In your listing of the film, are you including THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE?
    Yeah, I don't think it's feasible to include TWTTKH. I'm sure the contractual rights were restricted to the first 7 volumes only
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And most of The Wind...consists of back-stories, separate separate from the main narrative. Nothing wrong with dealing with that in a series, I guess, where a tangent episode or two may even be welcome, but in a more limited film series they're going to want more concision in their material.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default remember the phantom menace

Whatever studio finally green-lights this project is still taking a big risk. There is obviously a huge fanbase for the Dark Tower Series, but the fanbase is much less broad than Harry Potter or even Hunger Games. Plus, those series have the added bonus of children dragging their parents along (or vice versa). I don't think DT appeals to the younger audience.

I'm very very worried that DT will fall victim to the usuall Hollywood attempts to market the series to a wider audience, dumb it down, and throw in rediculous Hollywood archetypes to increase their revenue. Just look at what Orson Scott Card has gone through trying to get the Ender's Game movie made. He's faced constant attempts to re-organize and change his work to fit the big screen. Luckily, he has refused for the past 20 something years, but I'm not sure what's going on now especially since the director of the new Ender's Game movie's last work was the Wolverine Origins movie, which was horrible.

I really hope this project gets the treatment it deserves.
    I agree, remember Jah Jah Binx, ouch.

Traveler domomuffin is on a distinguished road

you don't want DT to be adapted as strictly a mini series. HBO doesn't have the kind of money needed to do the story justice. no network has that kind of money.
    remember "the stand"? that's what you get when you try to fit a massive story into a tight budget.
    for a story with such epic proportions you either go big or go home. and only WB have pockets deep enough to finance this.they also have experience with epic adaptations. unfortunately for them 3 movies are not enough to tell the whole story so extending it to 2 series on HBO is really the only formula to actually do this . HBO is owned by Time Warner so essentially WB+HBO can be seen as one studio in this case.
    and even though there's alot of Bardem hate around these parts, you're gonna need him because he has "academy award winner" in his title. "academy award winner" makes studios feel much better when they have to commit to gigantic budgets.

that being said it's more likely than not that someone will pull the plug on this project before it even starts.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by domomuffin View Post
    you don't want DT to be adapted as strictly a mini series. HBO doesn't have the kind of money needed to do the story justice. no network has that kind of money.
    remember "the stand"? that's what you get when you try to fit a massive story into a tight budget.
    for a story with such epic proportions you either go big or go home. and only WB have pockets deep enough to finance this.they also have experience with epic adaptations. unfortunately for them 3 movies are not enough to tell the whole story so extending it to 2 series on HBO is really the only formula to actually do this . HBO is owned by Time Warner so essentially WB+HBO can be seen as one studio in this case.
    and even though there's alot of Bardem hate around these parts, you're gonna need him because he has "academy award winner" in his title. "academy award winner" makes studios feel much better when they have to commit to gigantic budgets.
    I don't think DT's any more epic than A Song of Ice and Fire and HBO's 'Game of Thrones' hasn't been lacking in that area. I mean The Gunslinger and Drawing of Three alone could be done on a fairly minimal budget given that there's only a handful of characters and not a lot of effects-heavy stuff. It's not like there are lots of huge battle scenes like Lord of the Rings.

I mean the only issue is that HBO might bail midstory like they did with Carnivale, Rome and Deadwood if it doesn't do well but that's also a potential issue with Hollywood.

Three movies and two seasons is not nearly enough to faithfully tell all seven books. You would either have to rush through it or excise huge chunks of material. I think some of the stuff in the latter three books could be condensed without much harm (I love Callahan's story but that could probably go, and Song of Susannah could easily be shortened) but even then you have a lot of material to through. Plus such a back and forth format is just asking for trouble in the long run.
    ------
    Also casting update: looks like Russell Crowe may be Roland.

http://collider.com/the-dark-tower-russell-crowe/186047
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/warn...is-in-the-mix/
    I’m told that Warner Bros is getting a new script from Akiva Goldsman for the first installment of Stephen King’s mammoth Western The Dark Tower, and that within two weeks, the studio will be making a decision on whether to green light the first leg of one of the most daring and ambitious projects to come along since The Lord Of The Rings. And here is a new wrinkle to add to the mix. Javier Bardem is no longer in the mix as gunslinger Roland Deschain. I’m told that director Ron Howard and producers Brian Grazer and Goldsman have been talking with their A Beautiful Mind star Russell Crowe about playing Deschain. While there is no deal with Crowe, that is the star that Warner Bros will be evaluating as the studio decides on whether to take a leap on a nine-volume book that has a huge following, with Howard, King and their partners planning a multi-platform presentation that could be unforgettable. The story will be told through three films and two limited run TV series.

The Dark Tower is about the last living member of a knightly order of gunslingers, with Deschain becoming humanity’s last hope to save civilization as he hits the road to find the Dark Tower. Along the way, he encounters characters, good and bad, in a world that has an Old West feel. When I last wrote about this, Universal had dropped out and Warner Bros had sparked to the idea of taking on this franchise, possibly with HBO handling the TV component that would bridge the the first and second feature films, with another limited run TV series to follow. Given HBO’s adventurous forays into fantasy with Game of Thrones, it seems like the ideal venue.

If Crowe stepped up as the gunslinger, it would certainly help the project. He has clearly gotten back into the leading man game where he was when making films like Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind. Crowe played a big role of Jor-El in Warner Bros’s Man of Steel relaunch of the Superman franchise, and he is currently playing the title Biblical hero in the Darren Aronofsky-directed Noah for New Regency and Paramount. We’ll know soon if that regurgence takes him into an Old West fantasy, courtesy of what King has called his answer to JRR Tolkien’s The Lord Of The Rings trilogy.

In a climate of fear and remakes–is Sony Pictures actually remaking Jumanji, a film that came out less than 20 years ago?–it would be grand to see Warner Bros have the stones to take the kind of daring risk that seems only to be taken by the likes of HBO, Showtime, AMC and other pay and cable networks. It’s that risk taking that has put those networks in a position of being at the center what will eventually be viewed as a golden age for daring quality TV series.

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

^Thanks for posting. I think Crowe would do well--definitely better than Bardem. I hope it gets the green light!

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Russell doesn't do much for me. Javier would have been more interesting.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Along the Path of the Beam costanza will become famous soon enough

With Crowe as Roland the hamburger scene in Tull may turn into a hamburger eating contest. LARD ASS! LARD ASS!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 254 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 130 180 ... LastLast