Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 254 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I never got the idea that Roland was English. Where does it say that?
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Actually, much as I'm not sure of the choice for the role, I'm sure Roland DOES have an accent. (And he's not English! Unless you're referring to his physical type then possibly.) I suspect it isn't like Spanish though, but Bardem could perhaps change it a bit and it could work with the archaic sounding dialect Roland speaks.

And I actually do imagine Roland somewhat tanned, albeit I get the impression it's due to exposure, sun, sand and wind, rather than a natural Spanish tint.

He wouldn't be my choice, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. If he acts well and they do him up right, he could be acceptable. Susannah though.... I reallly hope that was just a bunch of unfounded rumours. If not, maybe they're worried at the Detta thread portraying an African American woman in a stereotypical negative light. In context, (I.e. she's a construct from the mind of an educated lady portraying something outside her actual experience ironically drawing from the negative stereotypes thrust on her) I think it's acceptable but I can understand their fears. That's not reason to change her race though. Just tone that stuff down if it's an issue. (I hope they don't though. Detta is a major part of Susannah's make-up.)

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with you on the Detta stuff. And I also hope they do not tone anything down. People get offended way too easily these days and make unnecessary drama and trouble because of it. There are a lot of other movies and other forms of media that involve similiar content and vulgarity. What's ok for one should be ok for all.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

Traveler CaptHowdy is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

To have a white Susannah would be like having a Roland without his guns and his obsession of the dark tower, or a Eddie without his jokes, or like making Oy a bird or something instead of a billy-bumbler... It would just be a totally different character.
    As "Brainslinger" said Bardems accent isn't a major problem. Roland isn't English speaking, he speaks a language that resembles English, he doesn't understand all English words and so on.

Gunslinger Apprentice Delah is on a distinguished road Delah's Avatar

Even more than who winds up playing what character, what I keep wondering is how they're going to divide the books up between the movies and tv series.

According to Interviews, Howard said there'd be three movies, with a six hour miniseries between the first and second movies and then a full series between the second and third movies. (and that the second series would focus on Roland's backstory/Susan). Obviously, like Howard admitted, the movies aren't going to break where the books do; there are five "films" and seven books.

Given those constraints my best guess would be that they would end the 1st film with Jake's re-drawing, halfway through the Wastelands. It'd be a horrid continuity issue for them to kill Jake off in the first movie, reintroduce him in the tv series, and then have him appear in the second movie with no explanation or just a casual bit of dialouge. Jake's drawing is such a pivotal moment for the ka-tet (esp. Roland's character) that to skip it in the movies simply wouldn't work. Plus, its about as happy an ending as you're going to get in the series.

So the first movie would probably be The Gunslinger, TDOTT through the first half of The Waste Lands with (I'm sure) some parts removed/switched around etc. The miniseries would be River Crossing/Lud/Blaine. The second movie would be WOTC and SOS; the Third movie would be TDT, with Roland's adventures in Hambry between the second and third movies. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? It's a lot to cover in the first movie, but I'm not sure how else you could do it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Delah View Post
    So the first movie would probably be The Gunslinger, TDOTT through the first half of The Waste Lands with (I'm sure) some parts removed/switched around etc. The miniseries would be River Crossing/Lud/Blaine. The second movie would be WOTC and SOS; the Third movie would be TDT, with Roland's adventures in Hambry between the second and third movies. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? It's a lot to cover in the first movie, but I'm not sure how else you could do it.
    This sounds excellent! I hope that's the layout they're going for. Makes the most sense.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Even more than who winds up playing what character, what I keep wondering is how they're going to divide the books up between the movies and tv series.

According to Interviews, Howard said there'd be three movies, with a six hour miniseries between the first and second movies and then a full series between the second and third movies. (and that the second series would focus on Roland's backstory/Susan). Obviously, like Howard admitted, the movies aren't going to break where the books do; there are five "films" and seven books.

Given those constraints my best guess would be that they would end the 1st film with Jake's re-drawing, halfway through the Wastelands. It'd be a horrid continuity issue for them to kill Jake off in the first movie, reintroduce him in the tv series, and then have him appear in the second movie with no explanation or just a casual bit of dialouge. Jake's drawing is such a pivotal moment for the ka-tet (esp. Roland's character) that to skip it in the movies simply wouldn't work. Plus, its about as happy an ending as you're going to get in the series.

I've read before that they want to make the second mini-series tell the tales of Roland's youth but that's much too late IMO. I don't know where they would squeeze it in without messing with the continuity from the books.

Maybe they go directly from Blaine to the Emerald City and he tells them his story some time after the events of SOS?

1st movie = The Gunslinger, TDOTT

Miniseries = The Waste Lands, first and last parts of Wizard and Glass

2nd movie = Wolves of the Calla and SOS

Miniseries = flashback to Hambry through Jericho Hill

3rd movie = TDT

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Apparently there will also be a tie-in game for the movies: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...-Movie-TV-Show

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

3rd movie = TDT
    Holy crap that's even better!

Cannot wait

Keep in mind, the first TV season will be 6-7 (presumably 1-hour) episodes. The second TV season is said to be more of a full-fledged season (either 13 or 22 episodes or so).

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote from Marsha about the videogame:

I haven't been given information that I'm at liberty to confirm or deny just yet. Any official word about the project has to come first from the Ron Howard/Universal team.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Originally Posted by Iwritecode

3rd movie = TDT
    That could be done with the scheduling, and initially that's what I guessed they'd do too. The hang-up, for me, with that scenario continues to be Jake. I don't know how "tied together" these movies and tv shows are supposed to be, but I just can't see them killing off a major character in movie one and then bringing him back via the TV show and having him magically appear in movie 2, providing a massive WTF moment for everyone in the theater who didn't see the tv series. Also, there are so many repurcussions that occur from Jake's re-drawing (i.e Mordred) that not including that in the actual movies seems almost like cheating the audience out of information.

Of course its all speculation. If the movies and series are more interdependant then I'm guessing, they could very well film it the way you have it.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's not a bad layout you've described there, but from what I got from the lastest update (On SK.com) is that they are planning to do the entire Hambry/Gilead back story on TV between film 1 & 2. Its smart in a way in that it removes a lot of feature film time from the story by taking a lot of meat out of W&G. You maybe shocked at this, but I bet they will adhere to the Wastelands cliffhanger for film #1. Film #2 could then blow through a good part of W&G, WOTC and SOS and leave Film #3 with the rest of SOS and DT7. What I've laid out may not be as crazy as you think in that The Gunslinger is a short book and TDOTT won't require as much screen time to tell as to write for SK, so the entirety of Wastelands could be covered in the first film.

BTW, according to the same update, Goldsmith has completed the script for the first movie!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Originally Posted by Iwritecode

3rd movie = TDT
    That could be done with the scheduling, and initially that's what I guessed they'd do too. The hang-up, for me, with that scenario continues to be Jake. I don't know how "tied together" these movies and tv shows are supposed to be, but I just can't see them killing off a major character in movie one and then bringing him back via the TV show and having him magically appear in movie 2, providing a massive WTF moment for everyone in the theater who didn't see the tv series. Also, there are so many repurcussions that occur from Jake's re-drawing (i.e Mordred) that not including that in the actual movies seems almost like cheating the audience out of information.

Of course its all speculation. If the movies and series are more interdependant then I'm guessing, they could very well film it the way you have it.
    The way I read the update I mentioned they are planning to gorup all the back story for TV. That would mean telling the story of Roland getting his guns, Gilead, Hambry, Susan Delgado and I would imagine parts of the Comic Arc's through Jericho Hill, and maybe somehow Callahan's story in the TV series. Effectively streamlining the feature film story significantly.

Furth is a consultant and if I read it right King is a co-producer!!!

Edit:

Here's one of the links I mentioned from the SK site:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/javi...he-dark-tower/
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Thanks for the link! Most of what I've seen has been on AICN.

That just left me more baffled. The first minseries can't be backstory, (although it seems to be confirmed that the second is) because it's got the same actors as the movies in it, but in the same article it says that the second movie picks up where the first lets off.

but from what I got from the lastest update (On SK.com) is that they are planning to do the entire Hambry/Gilead back story on TV between film 1 & 2.
    See, what I got from the article is that that is definitely going to be the second tv series, but not necassarily the first one. What I'd love to know is that hang-up; where in continuity the mini-series will be.

Basically, is the TV series going to be absolutely essential to understanding the continuity of the movies, or will a non-reader be able to follow the movies from the films alone, without the tv series? I would guess (in the interests of making money) that you should be able to follow the story through the movies alone, although the series would definitely supplement info. And if it going to be that way, what parts of the series can you put in the first miniseries (assuming it is the regular actors playing the regular ka-tet) without screwing up the movies?

You maybe shocked at this, but I bet they will adhere to the Wastelands cliffhanger for film #1.
    It would be an awful lot of ground to cover, but I would guess they'd have to get at least haflway through Waste Lands with the first movie.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I got the impression that the writer of the "update" was unfamiliar with the books. They could certainly extract ALL backstory components and leave them for TV. If you think about it, it could work. Even for those "Non-readers".
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think they expect people to skip the television series. It should be essential, so major plot points will only be covered in the series. There will be major promotion going on so I doubt people will just be able to go to the movies three times and get the entire story. There could be short recaps before the second and the third films, though.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I don't think they expect people to skip the television series. It should be essential, so major plot points will only be covered in the series. There will be major promotion going on so I doubt people will just be able to go to the movies three times and get the entire story. There could be short recaps before the second and the third films, though.
    Now I never said anything about "skipping" story, only about how they might partition it. I would expect better from you, Pablo!!! And as a matter of fact, the updates talk about the TV series being a "lead in".
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i dunno if the writer of the script is familiar with the series itself. but i believe 'Ron Howard" said he's read the series & he also listens to it on his Ipod

so he can stay in the mode i think would be the best way to describe it. so my guess & hope would be he would be picky on what is left out & added.
    & that he will stick close to the series than other series have when they put them to screen.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-mai View Post
    Javier Bardem Wanted for The Dark Tower

Not sure if he'll take it, but there it is. I'd prefer Viggo, but I'll take Bardem over some of the other choices. And if Susannah is white I'm going to flip out. I probably won't see the movies anyway because I'm afraid of how ruined they'll be, but that will be an extra ten nails in the coffin.

I also preferred the movie ending to The Mist... it was horrifying and awesome. The book ending would never have worked on film anyway, you know people would have walked out pissed.
    EXCLUSIVE: After Javier Bardem's terrifying Oscar-winning turn as the assassin in No Country For Old Men, is there any doubt he'd fit as the gunslinger Roland Deschain in The Dark Tower, the mammoth adaptation of the Stephen King 7-novel series that’ll span three movies and a limited run TV series in between?
    Yes.

Still, they could do worse, IMO.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Well I agree. Why would you want to skip the TV series if you're attending the Films? However, from what I've gathered so far, they will not need Bardem for the TV series as it will focus primarily on young Roland's story. It makes some sense that they try to cut as much (for lack of a better word) "flash-back" story out of the feature films and try to gather them for the series. I would guess that makes writing the screenplay easier.

I am very happy to see that King and Furth are gonna be so involved. I think that bolsters expectations some as far as Howard doing the books justice on film. At least it won't delve into the King/Kubrick wars from "The Shining". It'll be a little more like King's TV version of the same title years later, but with a feature film budget and High caliber production teams and caliber.

I'm excited that this may turn out alright!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i am to man i am too

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Well I agree. Why would you want to skip the TV series if you're attending the Films? However, from what I've gathered so far, they will not need Bardem for the TV series as it will focus primarily on young Roland's story.
    That'll be the second series. They will likely need him for the first. From what I've read that won't be as long though. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some present day stuff in the second series, if only the bunch of them around the fire, but I'd imagine the present day stuff (and so the film actors' roles) would be minimal.
    Last edited by Brainslinger; 01-30-2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Word removal.

Traveler holzy1139 is on a distinguished road

I just really can't see them having either of the TV series with Bardem and the main cast or being essential to the plot of the movies. Sure it'd be nice that the series be of consistent quality with the movies, but I think it's impossible to pitch if they're saying that viewers must also watch the tv series in between shows. It's hard enough making a sequel and saying that the audience will be lost if they didn't see the first one, let alone watch a TV show that came out after the first one. I see the TV series being all Wizard and Glass flashback and some of the other stuff from the comics.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

they kinda did the same thing with the 1st "X-Files" film way back in (1998) they say that you really don't need to be a fan of the show to like it. & i honestly dunno if that is true or not? but honestly at the time when that film came out i missed it in the theatres. & when the season came up after

the film was released. i was well fucking lost on what in the sam hell happend? in short i think you need to be a fan of that show to like the film even more. but that show at the time was on FIRE creative wise at the time. & Rating wise as well. you are right though.

what if they don't get the ratings? will it get cancelled? but i believe "Ron Howard" said it was going to be a mini-series not a tv show. i realize that in the UK that means something different. but here in the US it means a long ass movie.

Traveler Jambino is on a distinguished road

Here's how I'd do it... (spoilers abound)

Movie 1: The Gunslinger/TDOTT- If done correctly these two books could be combined to make a great first movie. Unfortunately Tull would probably need to be cut. The first 1/3 of the movie would be about the Gunslinger meeting Jake, befriending him and then sacrificing him for the Dark Tower. The last 2/3 of the movie would be about the drawings. It would be a satisfying ending with the Gunslinger saving Jake by keeping him from being pushed into traffic.*

Series 1: Wizard and Glass backstory- At first I thought this would make a perfect movie. It has a beginning, middle, and end. But in practice it just wouldn't work. Mainly because people who are going to pay money to go to a movie theater are not going to want to watch a flashback. They will want a continuation of the characters they met in the first movie. Which brings me to...

Movie 2: The Wastelands- This would make a great movie as well. We see the characters we know continuing directly from the first movie. *The Wastelands has plenty of action and one hell of a cliffhanger which will be important to get people to watch the second series.

Series 2: Wolves of the Calla/Song of Susanna- This is presumably the long series. Things may need to be cut, but if were talking maybe 16 episodes, that's 16 hours. I think it can be done.*

Movie 3: The Dark Tower- The grand finale. And the big question... Should the ending be the same as the book?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 254 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 161 ... LastLast