Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 254 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 73 113 163 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Along the Path of the Beam Cixelsyd is on a distinguished road

My thoughts on Bardem: He's got the right "bearing" to pull off Roland. He can definitely do the strong, silent badass, as evidenced by No Country for Old Men. That definitely weighs in his favor. He's also not "Hollywood Pretty", which is a good thing.

The only issue I have with him playing the part is, thankfully, correctable... in my opinion, he'd need to lose some weight to play Roland. Bardem's sort of an imposing figure. Not in an action hero huge muscles sort of way, but the guy looks like he's bigger physically than I picture Roland. Roland always struck me as being on the thin, tall side. Very strong, but more "wiry" than muscular.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

same here, that's how i picture him as well. with some muscle of course he'll have to gain. he'll have to become a fucking stick cause that's pretty much how "Roland' is after being alone in the desert & so on for so long. & only living off Deer & stuff like that.

Citizen of Gilead kluker is on a distinguished road kluker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by costanza View Post
    Ryan Reynolds as Eddie? That would mean that there would be a scene where Eddie takes off his shirt and works on his tan during his time on the Western Sea and that's not something I want to see.
    I agree

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I just don't see how a movie with such great acting and directing and such a great plot with such great characters you can consider a shitty movie.
    I don't think I've seen the film, but I agree with this comment, and not just as far as films are concerned. There are things I dislike but I am wary of using words like 'crap' or 'rubbish', or um, that word for them as it seems unfair to the creators concerned and I'm aware my opinion is just that.

Mind you there are films that actually are rather crappy that I like... but they often have something humorous or warped going for them. Ever see the British vampire movie Razor Blade Smile? Dear me. (I found it a gass, if a rather disturbing one. I think it's regarded generally as rather bad though. Course that film is bad in a different way... but point is, it's subjective.)

I think Reynolds would make a great Eddie Dean after watching Buried. He's defniitely the ability to be dramatic and we all know he can be charming and funny which is a huge aspect to who Eddie Dean was. As long as Reynolds can do a New York accent I'm sold.
    When I saw that image (and the other) I thought "too pretty". Then I just remembered that he's the big-mouth from Blade Trinity*, right? Considering his mouth in that, I think I'll reassess my opinion.... he can certainly channel the character! He's probably a bit too old though.

Oh, I thought The Blair Witch Project was rather overrated too. Or perhaps not overrated, in that it was kind of an interesting, original (at the time) method of film making, so I can see what others saw in it. but I didn't think it was as good as many make it out to be.

As for John Malkovich, I could see him as Walter maybe. Not the Flagg incarnation though.

*Another film I quite like which is somewhat despised. Blade 2 was better though.
    Last edited by Brainslinger; 02-01-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: To add stuff.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

1stly i agree "Blade 2" was the better one the best one i think. & i never said that "No country for old men' had a good plot cause i don't think it does. or great characters it doesn't. only good thing i can say about it was that it was well made. & well acted that's pretty much it.

& yes there are shitty films out there with that title. have you seen any of "John Carradine's films" he's done a LOT of films that are i think considered shitty. as well as "Ed Wood" "Bela Lugosi, "Boris Karloff' Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, Mickey Rooney, "Dennis Hopper' just to name a few.

true there are films out that have good characters but the film itself is shit. 'Children Play with dead things" is i think a shitty flm. that's another film that i fast forwarded through. in short some films i name title but NOT always.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

No Country For Old Men was a shitty movie....okayyyyyyy
    well No Country For Old Men was a shitty movie for me because it scared the SHIT out of me!!

Especially Javier Bardem's part. That night I slept with the lights on.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

......And now for something completely different......

What about our man Flagg? Initially I thought Bardem would be a good fit, but it is not to be. So, nominations?

For my part, and this may sound crazy (but think about it a bit) what about the guy who plays "Tig" on SOA? I think he's the same guy who played the crazy bastard in the boat in "Waterworld" along with a host of "Oh, that guy" roles.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

John F. Kennedy CoolhandLocke is on a distinguished road CoolhandLocke's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow...where to start with all this lol. I did like No Country, Fargo & Last Picture show but i'm leaving it at that. Like your fade out back onto the topic Merlin1958

As for Flagg i'd like Rutger Hauer but i'm sure he'll be considered to old but that all depends on the casting in general, either way he plays an Evil bastard well in about everything. Alot of parts in the mind of readers i've talked to depend on other parts as far as how old Roland will be (age-wise) in relation to Walter, Roland to Eddie, Eddie to Jake and so on....It's all up in the air to me until we see who the hell gets cast as Roland and how close to the material Mr. Howard decides to go..

Thing is about the books everyone has their own vision of how the characters look, sound, etc..and so does king & so does Howard. It's gonna be split either way when it comes to casting Roland. I don't think Bardem will take it, he seems very interested in Bond (which is being redone somewhat) and hasn't made a peep about the DT movies since he was offered it but HAS commented publicly on Bond after he was offered the DT part. Viggo i still think is out as he spent too many years with LOTR and had to be convinced to take that role, showing up at the last minute.

That leaves Bale as far as the current actors being mentioned & it seems alot of people around the net/fans in general hate Bale for reasons i can't quite understand . He's won alot of awards and has been nominated alot more than that. He's young and will get even more before it's all said and done. I would have no problem with a man that dedicated to the craft acting in a movie based on books that i love.

As for Ryan Reynolds, i don't think they will make him take his shirt off.. come on now lol even though that's the only way i'd get my girlfriend to go see the movie. The kid can act and the Green Lantern will tank so he'll be free. Viggo actually looks to be the only actor with "time on his hands" as far as i can tell from the big three. As someone else said "King looks at Roland and see's Bardem", so if it goes that way and King likes it.....well shit King likes Garris so ummmm.

I'm rambling but i'll leave it at this as bad as i hate to say it and i ain't posting again until they pick a principal actor lol... As close as this book series is to people's hearts and as BADLY as i want to see it on the screen maybe JJ Abrams and his crew had it right when they just stepped away. Saying you don't want to do it for fear of screwing it up is actually a very big compliment in my mind, maybe Mr. Howard should do the same if this starts turning into a clusterf@ck...

Along the Path of the Beam costanza will become famous soon enough

Viggo didn't have to get talked into LOTR. I forget who it was that they had cast but he dropped out or wasn't working out and they flew Viggo in to take over at the last minute.

And I don't think they'll make Reynolds take his shirt off either, I think his camp puts it in his contract. lol
    Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, ever since Van Wilder. He reminded me of a young Chevy Chase. I just feel him as Eddie. I guess they could scuzz him up a little. I don't know. Someone mentioned Jared Leto and even though he's a pretty boy, I felt like destroying something beautiful, he was fantastic in Requiem for a Dream as a junkie. I'm not sure what my point is. lol

I like Javier, but would still prefer Daniel Day Lewis. Either way we're going to have to take what we get and hopefully it'll all come out roses.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

actually i don't much care for "Daniel Day-Lewis i think he's over-rated as an actor. not that i think he's bad i don't. he's just one of those actors that are over rated.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Ryan Reynolds as Eddie? That would mean that there would be a scene where Eddie takes off his shirt and works on his tan during his time on the Western Sea and that's not something I want to see.
    You obviously haven't seen Buried, where he hardly has space to move let alone take his shirt off.

Reynolds is perfect for Eddie; he's comic, he's got range as an actor, he's got the build to play a tough guy too. Eddie is the charming character of the series and Reynolds has that charm.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    actually i don't much care for "Daniel Day-Lewis i think he's over-rated as an actor. not that i think he's bad i don't. he's just one of those actors that are over rated.
    What? Daniel Day Lewis is the method actor of all method actors and he's fantastic. Guy literally went and lived in the woods for a few weeks to prepare for his role in Last of the Mohicans, that is some dedi-fuckin-cation. And man, was he great as Bill The Butch in Gangs of New York. I'm pretty sad I haven't gotten the chance to see There Will Be Blood yet, considering I'm such a huge PT Anderson fan.

Along the Path of the Beam costanza will become famous soon enough

No Daniel Day Lewis, No Country for Old Men, Citizen Kane, The Last Picture Show, Fargo, Ed Wood, The Hurt Locker, and The Birds?! But you like Blade 2?!

No offense but, how old are you Roland of Gilead 33?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

oh i love old movies & some newer ones. i didn't say 'Daniel day lewis is a bad actor. he's just over-rated. that's all. i also didn't say Fargo was a bad film it's just not my style but it IS a better film than "No Country for old men" by far. & no offense taken i'm 32. i put 33 on cause i'll be that in a few months.

yes i did like "Blade 2" i've always thought "Wesley Snipes" was a good actor even before he became famous & going back to the film "Wildcats' (1986) which is one of my favorite childhood movies. i didn't say i hate "Ed Wood" he's ok i was just talking about how his films are really bad.

i have a comic book of "Plan 9 from outer space" though i bought like 10 or so years ago maybe more? it's actually better than the film. i'm curious to see how the remake of that will turn out to be honest. my favorite "Hitch" film is "North By Northwest" "Hitch" for me has some some clunkers.

his stuff before (1937) is horrible well his sound pictures anyways from the ones i've seen so far. but i do like a few of his silents though.
    but to be fair he wasn't able to pick which film to do in those days they were given to him. iv'e really never cared for 'Orson Wells' actually i think he's over-rated. not that the guy doesn't have talent he did. but he's just not my style when he's at the helm directing & writing a picture.

that's all. "The Trial" with "Anthony Perkins' (1963) i thought was a god aweful film. i watched it a few years ago on "TCM" also i haven't seen the film 'The Hurt Locker" like i said so i can't comment on that. & i LOVE the film "Ed Wood" i'm a HUGE "Tim Burton" fan & have enjoyed his work since he did "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" nearly 30 years ago. hard to believe it's that old actually. &

in short i guess my tastes differ from others. i normally watch a film if i see the trailer & it looks good. or if someone i like acts or writes or directs it. but to be fair when it comes to "Ed Wood" i think anyone would say the man had no talent he was a Z director doing Z graded films i believe the term is called? NOT B films those had bigger budgets.

but a great B film director that i love is "William Castle" i think it's fair enough to say that all these guys have done some good ass films but some pretty shitty ones as well. if you ask "Christopher Lee" who is a FANTASTIC Actor & EXTREMELY under-rated these days it feels like.

even he will say he's done films that he regrets making. & if you read old articles of "John Carradine' he will pretty much say that his films he did were crap. which is pretty much a clean way of saying his films a great deal of them were shit. but he needed the money so he did them.

you want a great movie that's old but a Classic? go out & buy "Easy Rider' that's a great film. great soundtrack as well. it's over 40 years old now granted but it's still a classic. & speaking of "Dennis Hopper" i think it would have been freaking fantastic if he had been able to do a part of the "DT" series. i would have LOVED to see him play "Jonas" or maybe the good man.

sorry to go off topic here folks.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I could get down with Reynolds for Eddie. My only concern would be his age. How old is he?
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

born i looked it up on "IMDB" in (1976) i think he could pull it off. he doesn't look his age.

as for films. i think there are a LOT of films out there that were hits cause of the content & who directed them. has anyone seen a bad film that's made by say ok 'The Cohen Bros.' & thought to themselves damn this is a bad film how in the hell can it get nominated? there are to many films these days that i want to see this film win. though i did love that football movie with "Sandra Bullock" won last year that was a damn good movie.

i forget the name of it at the moment. anyways, back to "DT" i think "Ryan Reyolds" could still pull it off actually. he's still young. & if you watch say Buffy the tv series anyways. the oldest actor on it who played "Xander" was like 25 or 26 on it when the show started & he was playing a 16 year old. so it could happen.

some actors & actress look younger than their actual age. in the film "RED" which is a great film the actress who played the love interest is near 50 & she looks 20 years younger to me for example

Along the Path of the Beam fivethirtytwo is on a distinguished road fivethirtytwo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    ......And now for something completely different......

What about our man Flagg? Initially I thought Bardem would be a good fit, but it is not to be. So, nominations?

For my part, and this may sound crazy (but think about it a bit) what about the guy who plays "Tig" on SOA? I think he's the same guy who played the crazy bastard in the boat in "Waterworld" along with a host of "Oh, that guy" roles.
    I am actually in complete agreement about Bardem making a great Flagg. He fits the physical description of the character (square jawed, handsome, full mouthed - yet slight off-kilter) for one; and more importantly, he's a great actor who would immerse himself in the role.

Whenever I hear suggestions like Christopher Walken or Willem Dafoe for the role, I always tend to cringe because people are basically suggesting them because they're known for evil-guy roles or look evil. That's possibly the worst reason to cast someone as a bad guy - especially a complex (and frankly delightful) one like Flagg. I would much rather go with a great actor who would give us a unique interpretation of the role and make it his own (ala Heath Ledger as the Joker, the last person anyone had in mind for the role).

Who would I like to see as Flagg? How about Joaquin Phoenix? Or Matt Damon? Someone who commits themselves to the role and would work hard it.
    "If a God watches over it all, does He actually mete out justice for a race of gnats among an infinitude of races of gnats?
    ...what must the nature of such a God be?"

The Gunslinger

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I'd like to see Johnny Depp as Eddie
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

oh i love old movies & some newer ones. i didn't say 'Daniel day lewis is a bad actor. he's just over-rated. that's all.
    But overrated means he's not as good as people think he is which, Day Lewis, clearly is.

if you ask "Christopher Lee" who is a FANTASTIC Actor & EXTREMELY under-rated these days it feels like.
    I don't see this at all. Christopher Lee might not be a popular name, but I know a lot of people who think he's great.

you want a great movie that's old but a Classic? go out & buy "Easy Rider' that's a great film. great soundtrack as well. it's over 40 years old now granted but it's still a classic.
    Good movie yes. Classic yes. Great movie no.

If you want a classic movie that's old and great, watch Five Easy Pieces which was Nicholsons movie after Easy Rider.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I'd like to see Johnny Depp as Eddie
    bears concur

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Tried to stay away but i have to jump in on this one...WHAT?? lol

Daniel Day is one of the finest actors we have, and far from over-rated. The man practically NEVER breaks character while filming his movies. Could you imagine having to live will Bill the Butcher for a year, he pissed off DiCaprio and Liam Neeson for not acknowledging them by their names and not breaking character. in my left foot, he stayed in the wheelchair and made people feed him just like his character had to have done. I know that makes him sound a bit nuts and i won't even list the other things lol but the man is really dedicated to his craft and a fine actor.

Oh yeah he also has 2 Oscars for best actor and about 59 other wins for acting...nuff said

Country
    Country Flag

You obviously haven't seen Buried, where he hardly has space to move let alone take his shirt off.

Reynolds is perfect for Eddie; he's comic, he's got range as an actor, he's got the build to play a tough guy too. Eddie is the charming character of the series and Reynolds has that charm.
    You said it perfectly. I mean Reynolds hasn't helped himself by taking mainly comedies throughout his career but when he hits a drama...The Nines, Buried, Smokin Aces. Hell the man certainly wasn't too funny in The Amityville Horror, the man can act. He wasn't a smart-ass in Buried either, being trapped in a box isn't alot of fun lol.

For Eddie Dean he would KILL all the smart-ass parts and when it came down to the dramatic stuff he would just nail it. As mentioned he has the exact build (tall & lean) and can play a druggie (watch the Nines). Age would be my only concern, he doesn't look his age but it still all depends on how Roland is cast.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I get lots of entertainment when I read here

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kluker View Post

Me too, i just used to read the posts and not comment (before i actually joined). Much funner this way lol. I really like the fact that everyone has their own opinions, frequently i learn something i didn't know before or occasionally have my mind changed when someone actually makes a strong...valid point. I usually try to keep from telling someone flat out that "i think" they are wrong but sometimes i just can't help myself lol. This forum is actually quite lovely compared to imdb and a few other places i've been on

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CoolhandLocke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kluker View Post

Me too, i just used to read the posts and not comment (before i actually joined). Much funner this way lol. I really like the fact that everyone has their own opinions, frequently i learn something i didn't know before or occasionally have my mind changed when someone actually makes a strong...valid point. I usually try to keep from telling someone flat out that "i think" they are wrong but sometimes i just can't help myself lol. This forum is actually quite lovely compared to imdb and a few other places i've been on
    I love reading the ones by people who think they know best and what they say is best though those are best. But the back and forth is great I do hope it doesn't stop though I might lose my happy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 254 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 73 113 163 ... LastLast