Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 145 of 441 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135 143 144 145 146 147 155 195 245 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,625 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

*Undisputed as The Stand is undisputed as SK's best stand-alone novel.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked the hurt locker, thats it. Call of Duty has nothing to do with it, it was just long and kind of boring. The Hurt Locker had tension. I didnt think hurt locker deserved best picture either. Zero Dark Thirty was flash and no substance...Bigelow wanted to create bin ladens death but needed a story which it completely abandons for nameless army guys. Hurt Locker is far better, shouldn't even be in the same sentence.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I liked the hurt locker, thats it. Call of Duty has nothing to do with it, it was just long and kind of boring. The Hurt Locker had tension. I didnt think hurt locker deserved best picture either. Zero Dark Thirty was flash and no substance...Bigelow wanted to create bin ladens death but needed a story which it completely abandons for nameless army guys. Hurt Locker is far better, shouldn't even be in the same sentence.
    I must be thinking of somebody else that hated Hurt Locker then. I had that discussion somewhere. Can't remember where.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I wish I could join the discussion(s) but I did such a piss poor job with Oscar films this year (in my defense it was more of a money issue than anything).

I will say however that I really, really liked The Hurt Locker and felt it was deserving of the BP win. It deviated a bit from the age old, tried and true mantra of 'war is hell' that has served as the skeletal outline for the most revered war films (Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now etc.,) and instead it presented war as an addiction, embodied perfectly by Jeremy Renner's character. He blatantly disregards the orders of his superiors and wrecklessly throws himself in harms way to experience the rush of thriving in a world where the error of margin is zero. The film had a few misfires but on a general level it is a fantastic piece of work.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's interesting to me that what you call "the most revered war films" are all post-Vietnam. From my point of view, (70s child) that was already a counter-tradition rather than the mainstream. I think that Americans are particularly likely to have a special reaction to Zero Dark Thirty.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Personally, Pulp Fiction is my least favorite Tarantino (still haven't seen Jackie Brown, Deathproof, or Django Unchained).
    See those first, then come back to the discussion. Pulp Fiction is QT's Magnum Opus, but DU is second and IB third!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    See those first, then come back to the discussion. Pulp Fiction is QT's Magnum Opus, but DU is second and IB third!!!!
    If you read this right to left you get the proper order

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I wish I could join the discussion(s) but I did such a piss poor job with Oscar films this year (in my defense it was more of a money issue than anything).

I will say however that I really, really liked The Hurt Locker and felt it was deserving of the BP win. It deviated a bit from the age old, tried and true mantra of 'war is hell' that has served as the skeletal outline for the most revered war films (Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now etc.,) and instead it presented war as an addiction, embodied perfectly by Jeremy Renner's character. He blatantly disregards the orders of his superiors and wrecklessly throws himself in harms way to experience the rush of thriving in a world where the error of margin is zero. The film had a few misfires but on a general level it is a fantastic piece of work.
    I hear ya. I'm assuming it's more expensive to go to a movie where you live. The theater near me, which is a really nice theater, has a 5 dollar all day bargain Tuesday. I try to go after work sometimes. Also, I would tell your family and friends to get you gift cards to the movies if they don't know what to get you for Christmas and Bday.

I'm also thinking we need to get the names of the websites that Jean and Matt use to watch their movies. I wouldn't use it for mainstream films, but I would have loved to watch Amour before the Oscars but it's just so hard to find films like that around here.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I download torrents from kat.ph. I dont believe in downloading movies what are in theatres but when I am poor and it is oscar season....look out.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ever since my last PC was pretty much destroyed by viruses I'm kinda iffy on downloading off stuff like Bit Torrents and the like.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The site I use is great. There are some uploaders that 100% reliable and safe, like the guy I get walking dead and dexter from. From my experience, so long as you are careful, its about the safest site out there...3 years and no problems.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ever since my last PC was pretty much destroyed by viruses I'm kinda iffy on downloading off stuff like Bit Torrents and the like.
    have you tried just streaming them, from sites like Putlocker? No downloading is involved, so it's totally safe.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

And I always thought torrents were safe, and less trackable because you get it in pieces. Till I got a warned from my cable provider for downloading illegally

And I had tried streaming in the past on my old computer, but that's when it got infected with a million viruses and broke

So now I just have to wait for the dvd. Which isn't that bad, but netflix doesn't always get the obscure foreign films
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's not illegal to download movies in Canada woot!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

it may be illegal here, but everyone does it anyway

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Side by Side - 10/10

Side by Side might just be the best documentary about filmmaking since Man with the Camera (1929). It’s produced by Keanu Reeves, who also serves as interviewer. Reeves sits down on camera and has a discussion with some of the biggest directors of this era including David Lynch, Martin Scorsese, James Cameron, Christopher Nolan, David Fincher, Danny Boyle, Steven Soderbergh, Robert Rodriguez, and George Lucas.

There are two main types of movie fans. The first kind go to the movies, or rent a DVD as a way to pass the time. They may know a few of the actors and possibly even the director, if he’s one of the more famous ones. They consume the film in a very basic manner.

Then there are the people who know most of the actors, or they pay attention to the way a shot is composed, or they can appreciate certain lighting effects, or the pacing of the editing. These people are enjoying the film on a different level. Some would argue a level that was not intended by the filmmaker.

I belong to the latter, as I believe most of the people who frequent this message board do. This is why I would like to recommend Side by Side to anybody whose love for cinema extends beyond the credits. You guys are the only people in my life that devour film like I do. We don’t just watch movies, we experience them.

As a professional cameraman and editor, I find the subject matter that Side by Side deals with inherently interesting. I love learning about film, cameras, editing, lighting and all the components that come together to make a movie.

On the surface, Side by Side attempts to debate which movie making format is better, film or digital. The movie goes way deeper than just trying to answer this question. In fact, it goes through the whole workflow of how a movie is made. From how a camera works, to the cinematography, to the editing, to the color correcting, to the making of prints and the distribution of the film.

Even somebody who doesn’t have an interest in the nuts and bolts of how a film is made will come away with a bigger appreciation for movies and all the work that goes into creating them. Even though I learned a lot of what was being discussed in college, or from other documentaries and by watching the extras on DVD’s, I still learned a ton of new things from this film.

Side by Side does a nice job of laying out the pros and cons of both formats, but the film really focuses on the fact that the end of film being used to shoot movies is not a possibility, it’s an inevitability. Technology has reached a point where it can no longer be ignored. Digital format was once looked at as inferior, but now it’s on par if not surpassing what celluloid can accomplish. There’s a certain sadness in hearing filmmakers talk about the death celluloid. Many of them are very nostalgic about the whole process of shooting a movie on film.

The ironic twist is that, as we move away from film and start putting more and more movies on a digital format, the process of storing and backing up the material is not reliable. It turns out that the best way to preserve a movie is to then transfer the digital format to celluloid. A true Hollywood story of redemption if I’ve ever seen one.

In the end, it doesn’t matter if a film is shot on digital or celluloid. The only thing that matters is if a film tells a good story and includes memorable characters. Because of this simple goal, movies will always serve their purpose to entertain and inspire regardless of the format that is used to capture them.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Jane Eyre 2011: Just wrote a whole review, hit something by accident, lost it all. Since I agree with most things said here (link at bottom, not retyping, tired), loved the casting, the directing and the atmosphere and thought it was a faithful adaptation that was hindered by a studio capped (I imagine) 2 hr runtime (it could have used another half an hour). Cary Fukanaga deftly made this film and now I am VERY excited for his two-part adapation of IT. Granted this movie may serve my tastes well, I'm a sucker for solid gothic romance. Highly Recommended

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/110319990

Does anyone read Roger Eberts reviews? I can't help but read his review of a movie after I finish watching it, his insight is very keen. In his Great Movie reviews he really delves into them. Judging from your review of Side by Side, you'd really like them SS.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to give it another watch. Have you seen the version with Orson Welles and Joan Fontaine?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

Does anyone read Roger Eberts reviews? I can't help but read his review of a movie after I finish watching it, his insight is very keen. In his Great Movie reviews he really delves into them. Judging from your review of Side by Side, you'd really like them SS.
    I used to love to watch "Ebert and Roeper At the Movies." It was part of my Sunday morning routine. Even after Ebert got sick and they shuffled co-hosts with Roeper, I still watched. I even watched the new one that Ebert produced with two new critics. Now the show is gone and it's almost impossible to find a movie review show on TV. It's too bad. I've always agreed with Roeper's reviews more than Ebert. I still check Roeper's website every week for his reviews.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Identity: a very nice little movie. The ending is rather silly and totally predictable, which damages the impression, but the rest is very enjoyable, and the first half was a perfect thriller, well directed and acted. Bears really really had a lot of fun.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that's very generous. I guess it is indeed a pretty good movie, aside from everything bad about it. That is really nice attitude, no kidding.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Identity: a very nice little movie. The ending is rather silly and totally predictable, which damages the impression, but the rest is very enjoyable, and the first half was a perfect thriller, well directed and acted. Bears really really had a lot of fun.
    Yes, I recall a similar impression of Identity. Very well set up. Mystery and psychology. Then the ending was a formulaic let-down.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

I used to love to watch "Ebert and Roeper At the Movies." It was part of my Sunday morning routine. Even after Ebert got sick and they shuffled co-hosts with Roeper, I still watched. I even watched the new one that Ebert produced with two new critics. Now the show is gone and it's almost impossible to find a movie review show on TV. It's too bad. I've always agreed with Roeper's reviews more than Ebert. I still check Roeper's website every week for his reviews.
    I enjoy reading Ebert as well. Even when I don't agree with him, he knows how to write very well and can almost always produce an interesting and insightful review. I remember when I was a kid, you could find him and Siskel on PBS ("Sneak Previews"). Typically in the middle of the night, as the local PBS station would syndicate the show out of Chicago. Then they went to commercial TV and it was a bit easier to find.

The thing about Ebert, though, is just like a bunch of actors, just b/c you are good at your craft doesn't make you an expert on liberal social or economic policies.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I wish more people would listen to real economists.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

I love Identity. One of those cases where a great cast saved a film. I might have to break my DVD out, been close to five years since I've seen it.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

But it is still just awful for lovers of story.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 145 of 441 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135 143 144 145 146 147 155 195 245 ... LastLast