PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90

TCCBodhi
06-10-2020, 12:04 PM
Is 'Cemetery Dance' someplace that can be visited, or just an industrial office? I'm heading out on a meandering, stream of consciousness road trip through the NE states (though trying to avoid most urban areas). If it's possible, I think I'd love to see that fabled Warehouse. If not, I'd certainly take suggestions on scenic drives, beaches or even showing off and bragging on your SK collections THROUGHOUT the NE.

Jimimck
06-11-2020, 01:28 AM
Are there any publicly available CD discount codes floating around at the moment?

So....no?

Tony Two-Cent
06-11-2020, 04:45 AM
Are there any publicly available CD discount codes floating around at the moment?

So....no?

As far as I know, the only discounts CD offers are through their Collectors Club which is an annual paid membership. If there are publicly available discount codes I am unaware of them.

DanHocker
06-11-2020, 06:18 AM
Is 'Cemetery Dance' someplace that can be visited, or just an industrial office? I'm heading out on a meandering, stream of consciousness road trip through the NE states (though trying to avoid most urban areas). If it's possible, I think I'd love to see that fabled Warehouse. If not, I'd certainly take suggestions on scenic drives, beaches or even showing off and bragging on your SK collections THROUGHOUT the NE.

We typically don't have visitors at the office. It's extra difficult right now since the majority of us are largely working from home.

DanHocker
06-11-2020, 06:19 AM

So....no?

Yea I don't think we're running any sales right now.

Splync
06-11-2020, 06:40 AM

We typically don't have visitors at the office. It's extra difficult right now since the majority of us are largely working from home.

So he'll just visit your home then, right?

St. Troy
06-11-2020, 07:59 AM

The applicable term ("visit" or other) will be determined by a judge at a later date.

Jimimck
06-12-2020, 01:52 PM

So....no?

Yea I don't think we're running any sales right now.

Thanks Dan.

Ben Eads
06-12-2020, 08:11 PM
I recently looked at the art in my copy of 'Salem's Lot published by Cemetery Dance. It's missing the fold-out map at the front of the book. Am I the only one? I've watched youtube videos of people unboxing, opening, and showing what comes with the gift edition, and every one has a fold out map. It's supposed to be right after "Introduction To Salem's Lot" and right before Salem's Lot Chapter 1. It shows it on the Cemetery Dance page for it too. Can the map be taken out of the book, or is it sewn in? Did mine slip through, if that's the case? Any insight or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

frik
06-12-2020, 10:32 PM
I recently looked at the art in my copy of 'Salem's Lot published by Cemetery Dance. It's missing the fold-out map at the front of the book. Am I the only one? I've watched youtube videos of people unboxing, opening, and showing what comes with the gift edition, and every one has a fold out map. It's supposed to be right after "Introduction To Salem's Lot" and right before Salem's Lot Chapter 1. It shows it on the Cemetery Dance page for it too. Can the map be taken out of the book, or is it sewn in? Did mine slip through, if that's the case? Any insight or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

As far as I know, there is no fold-out map in neither the gift not the AE (numbered). There's no map in my editions and first time hearing about this.
Are you referring to the Cemetery Dance Doubleday series? Guess you must be, because that's the only Lot edition CD did.

Wow - just had a look at one of the unboxing videos and yes, there IS a map. Now I better have a closer look at mine, because it seems so easy to overlook....

Double-wow: YES, it's there, right after the autor's note. Do have a good look Ben, it really IS there. Hope in yours as well.

sk

Munnecom
06-13-2020, 12:23 AM
That was a rollercoaster of emotions...

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-13-2020, 03:20 AM
The fold out map in 'SALEM'S LOT, is that in ALL the editions?

frik
06-13-2020, 04:14 AM
The fold out map in 'SALEM'S LOT, is that in ALL the editions?

It's in both my gift and AE-numbered editions, so I'm assuming, yes. Can't imagine it being left-out of the AE-lettered.

sk

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-13-2020, 05:39 AM
Since you made me get these down, I took a picture. No map in the ARCs.

https://i.imgur.com/OwDJSCI.jpg

Ben Eads
06-13-2020, 06:08 AM

As far as I know, there is no fold-out map in neither the gift not the AE (numbered). There's no map in my editions and first time hearing about this.
Are you referring to the Cemetery Dance Doubleday series? Guess you must be, because that's the only Lot edition CD did.

Wow - just had a look at one of the unboxing videos and yes, there IS a map. Now I better have a closer look at mine, because it seems so easy to overlook....

Double-wow: YES, it's there, right after the autor's note. Do have a good look Ben, it really IS there. Hope in yours as well.

sk

Frik,

Yes, it's the CD gift edition of 'Salem's Lot I'm talking about.

Glad to hear you have a map. I pulled out the book again and the map is not there. I even looked throughout the book to see if the map was placed elsewhere in the book. It is not. Sigh...

I doubt that CD has replacement copies this late in the game. I hope they do. I Just sent a PM to them.

Ben Eads
06-13-2020, 06:08 AM
Since you made me get these down, I took a picture. No map in the ARCs.

https://i.imgur.com/OwDJSCI.jpg

I wonder if a map would be placed in an ARC.

jeffingoff
06-13-2020, 06:31 AM

sk

Frik,

Glad to hear you have a map. I pulled out the book again and the map is not there. I even looked throughout the book to see if the map was placed elsewhere in the book. It is not. Sigh...

I doubt that CD has replacement copies this late in the game. I hope they do. I Just sent a PM to them.

I checked mine and I have the map as well. You just have the super rare map-less edition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Eads
06-13-2020, 06:46 AM

sk

Frik,

I checked mine and I have the map as well. You just have the super rare map-less edition.

If CD doesn't have any replacement copies or extra maps, what would you say this book is worth?

jeffingoff
06-13-2020, 06:55 AM
If CD doesn't have any replacement copies or extra maps, what would you say this book is worth?

I wouldn't have a clue. I'm doubtful that having no map would drive up the value. I hope they have an extra copy for you or some other way to fix this issue.

I'm almost positive I've heard of some problem related to the map in 'Salem's Lot before. Someone else, maybe on the CD Forum, commented about missing the map or something years ago.

I'm sure the CD Folks will work something out with you.

Ben Eads
06-13-2020, 07:16 AM

I wouldn't have a clue. I'm doubtful that having no map would drive up the value. I hope they have an extra copy for you or some other way to fix this issue.

I'm almost positive I've heard of some problem related to the map in 'Salem's Lot before. Someone else, maybe on the CD Forum, commented about missing the map or something years ago.

Thanks! Yeah, I hope CD has replacement copies. Fingers crossed!

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-13-2020, 07:53 AM
My limited has the map.
I don't know about the gift because it's still in the shrinkwrap.

Ben Eads
06-13-2020, 08:09 AM
My limited has the map.
I don't know about the gift because it's still in the shrinkwrap.

Come to find out, all editions come with the map. Waiting to hear back from Cemetery Dance. Fingers crossed!

jeffingoff
06-13-2020, 08:13 AM
Did you buy direct from CD?

Ben Eads
06-13-2020, 09:01 AM
No. I bought it from a collector.

jeffingoff
06-13-2020, 09:21 AM

Ah. Well that’s a wrinkle. Did you talk to the person you bought it from? Was it still shrink wrapped?

Brian861
06-13-2020, 09:26 AM

Jeff, wasn't that the one that Jason on over the CD forum said was bound upside down in his copy? I recall something funky was up with his copy and we were teasing about him being a millionaire with the ultra rare copy. He's a member here also but doesn't visit much I don't think.

jeffingoff
06-13-2020, 10:00 AM

Jeff, wasn't that the one that Jason on over the CD forum said was bound upside down in his copy? I recall something funky was up with his copy and we were teasing about him being a millionaire with the ultra rare copy. He's a member here also but doesn't visit much I don't think.

Yeah! That’s what I’m thinking of.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-13-2020, 11:33 AM
I razor bladed the map out of my copy, put it back in upside down with scotch tape.

$24,999 -- PayPal, F&F, USA only

Garrell
06-13-2020, 11:50 AM
I razor bladed the map out of my copy, put it back in upside down with scotch tape.

$24,999 -- PayPal, F&F, USA only

Offering $28,999. Shipping needs to be included...

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-13-2020, 11:52 AM
No, too much. I don't want to rip you off.

jeffingoff
06-13-2020, 11:59 AM
No, too much. I don't want to rip you off.

I’ll trade you a lettered Suntup Misery and a lettered Suntup Rosemary’s Baby and toss in my GE ‘Salem’s Lot. Just give me a little time to buy Misery and RB.

Ben Eads
06-13-2020, 12:48 PM
What I meant was how much will this knock DOWN the price of my book. Would anyone want to buy a copy without the map?

Br!an
06-13-2020, 12:56 PM
What I meant was how much will this knock DOWN the price of my book. Would anyone want to buy a copy without the map?

It reduces the value considerably in my opinion. You might want to return it if possible.

Ben Eads
06-13-2020, 01:28 PM

It reduces the value considerably in my opinion. You might want to return it if possible.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks!

Randall Flagg
06-13-2020, 02:21 PM
First, Check with CD. It looks like it was a binding error from the start. If CD has an extra, they likely (my opinion, not officially speaking for them) will work with you.
Otherwise, unless the seller will work with you, I'd just put it back on the shelf and don't fret about it.

jeffingoff
06-13-2020, 02:28 PM
First, Check with CD. It looks like it was a binding error from the start. If CD has an extra, they likely (my opinion, not officially speaking for them) will work with you.
Otherwise, unless the seller will work with you, I'd just put it back on the shelf and don't fret about it.

I think that’s great advice.

Ben Eads
06-13-2020, 04:41 PM

Still waiting to hear back from CD. I told the seller what's going on and he has offered a full refund in case CD can't help. I really hope CD can come through for me. I agree with Jeff. Great advice!

Ben Eads
06-13-2020, 04:42 PM

I think that’s great advice.

Indeed!

Ben Eads
06-14-2020, 08:57 AM

Ah. Well that’s a wrinkle. Did you talk to the person you bought it from? Was it still shrink wrapped?

Yes I have. He says it was shrink wrapped when he got it, but he took that off to enjoy the book. I can tell no one cut out the map. It was an issue with the printer.

Ben Eads
06-14-2020, 04:33 PM
Also, if the seller won't refund me, I don't think it will hurt too much. Everyone who commented didn't even know there was a map.

jeffingoff
06-14-2020, 04:42 PM
Also, if the seller won't refund me, I don't think it will hurt too much. Everyone who commented didn't even know there was a map.

I had to go back and check and if I wasn't told where to look I would have missed it. And that's an edition I've read. So yeah, don't let the missing map ruin your enjoyment of a fantastic King work with that amazing Palumbo art.

Ben Eads
06-14-2020, 06:35 PM

I had to go back and check and if I wasn't told where to look I would have missed it. And that's an edition I've read. So yeah, don't let the missing map ruin your enjoyment of a fantastic King work with that amazing Palumbo art.

YUP!

TCCBodhi
06-14-2020, 08:29 PM

The applicable term ("visit" or other) will be determined by a judge at a later date.

Thanks for the replies and jokes. Maybe next time through.

DanHocker
06-15-2020, 06:25 AM

YUP!

Shoot me an email. I've got replacements we can get it swapped.

Brian James Freeman
06-15-2020, 06:28 AM
I didn't get any updates on this thread via email in the last week, so I thought everyone was just napping their way into summer until Dan said something to me... :emot-roflolmao:

Brian

Ben Eads
06-15-2020, 06:37 AM

YUP!

Shoot me an email. I've got replacements we can get it swapped.

Thank you so much, Dan! I'm emailing you now. =)

Ben Eads
06-15-2020, 07:55 AM
Thank you so much Brian and Dan! I'll be getting a replacement copy! WOOT! Cemetery Dance rocks!

jeffingoff
06-15-2020, 07:56 AM
Thank you so much Brian and Dan! I'll be getting a replacement copy! WOOT! Cemetery Dance rocks!

Wow! That's exceptional. Really is considering they were under no obligation.

kingfan2323
06-15-2020, 08:45 AM

Wow! That's exceptional. Really is considering they were under no obligation.Really good to hear.

seeking: anything DT related #246

DanHocker
06-15-2020, 08:51 AM
We always try to do what we can in these types of situations. We can't always help, but we try.

Ben Eads
06-15-2020, 09:19 AM

Wow! That's exceptional. Really is considering they were under no obligation.

This is why they are my favorite publisher. =)

Ben Eads
06-15-2020, 09:20 AM
We always try to do what we can in these types of situations. We can't always help, but we try.

And that is why you're my favorite publisher. =)

Garrell
06-15-2020, 09:56 AM
CD gets points!!! Very nice guys!!!

Brian861
06-15-2020, 09:59 AM
I didn't get any updates on this thread via email in the last week, so I thought everyone was just napping their way into summer until Dan said something to me... :emot-roflolmao:

Brian

Probably went into your spam folder.

Brian861
06-15-2020, 11:00 AM

That's really cool, Ben. Glad they were able to help you out.

Ben Eads
06-15-2020, 03:24 PM
CD gets points!!! Very nice guys!!!

YUP!

Ben Eads
06-15-2020, 03:25 PM

Me too! And all I had to do was sign this piece of paper which says.... hold on... my soul? What? Uh oh... =)

Brian861
06-16-2020, 07:57 AM

Me too! And all I had to do was sign this piece of paper which says.... hold on... my soul? What? Uh oh... =)

Pretty much a collector's mantra.

Dolan
06-16-2020, 02:43 PM
Gosh I'm sure this question was asked a dozen times already and I apologize in advance - but I'm in the market for a set of the CD Carrie, SL, The Shining, and while I know Night Shift isn't in hand yet, for someone to have a "matching set" do the rights get transferred with the last book? Asking before I pull any triggers.

kingfan2323
06-16-2020, 02:46 PM
Gosh I'm sure this question was asked a dozen times already and I apologize in advance - but I'm in the market for a set of the CD Carrie, SL, The Shining, and while I know Night Shift isn't in hand yet, for someone to have a "matching set" do the rights get transferred with the last book? Asking before I pull any triggers.Cemetery Dance does not do rights on a book unfortunately. So you can have matching numbers on all four current DD books and means nothing to them.

Dolan
06-16-2020, 02:48 PM
Gosh I'm sure this question was asked a dozen times already and I apologize in advance - but I'm in the market for a set of the CD Carrie, SL, The Shining, and while I know Night Shift isn't in hand yet, for someone to have a "matching set" do the rights get transferred with the last book? Asking before I pull any triggers.Cemetery Dance does not do rights on a book unfortunately. So you can have matching numbers on all four current DD books and means nothing to them.

Very helpful - thank you!

Randall Flagg
06-16-2020, 05:21 PM

That is a bit harsh, and incorrect. CD does a great job or trying to match numbers/letters for a buyer. There may be no declared "rights" for secondary or tertiary buyers, but if requested. CD will do everything they can to accommodate the customer.

kingfan2323
06-16-2020, 05:22 PM

That is a bit harsh, and incorrect. CD does a great job or trying to match numbers/letters for a buyer. There may be no declared "rights" for secondary or tertiary buyers, but if requested. CD will do everything they can to accommodate the customer.There are no rights.

stroppygoblin
06-17-2020, 02:41 AM
There are no rights.

That statement is true. This statement is not:

So you can have matching numbers on all four current DD books and means nothing to them.

In fact I will go further than that and say that no individual purchaser has any 'legal' rights to receive a matching designation. Most smaller publishers will go to great lengths to ensure you have a matching number or letter but are under no legal obligation to do so.

Even Suntup - who's extensive matching process I am intimately familiar with (and it is waaay more complex than you could possibly imagine) will only 'try' to match your previous designation. Again there is no legal requirement for Paul to do this, just good customer service.

Dolan
06-17-2020, 05:06 AM
There are no rights.

So you can have matching numbers on all four current DD books and means nothing to them.

In fact I will go further than that and say that no individual purchaser has any 'legal' rights to receive a matching designation. Most smaller publishers will go to great lengths to ensure you have a matching number or letter but are under no legal obligation to do so.

Even Suntup - who's extensive matching process I am intimately familiar with (and it is waaay more complex than you could possibly imagine) will only 'try' to match your previous designation. Again there is no legal requirement for Paul to do this, just good customer service.

Verry helpful. I'm late to the game of buying the CD DD books - and while I would prefer (and pay more for) a matching set, I don't want to go through the expense of buying the set (then negotiating for Night Shift) only to have the books and not be able to reserve the next one. If it's a matter of sending proof that I am in possession of the latest, great. But if it's a registration system (which it sounds as though it's not), then damn.

RichardX
06-17-2020, 05:18 AM
Given CDs organizational problems, suggesting that they deal with matching numbers for pedantic collectors is nothing short of sadistic. The perfect storm. At best, hope you will receive your CD book before dying of old age to avoid unnecessary grief.

jeffingoff
06-17-2020, 05:36 AM
There are no rights.

Verry helpful. I'm late to the game of buying the CD DD books - and while I would prefer (and pay more for) a matching set, I don't want to go through the expense of buying the set (then negotiating for Night Shift) only to have the books and not be able to reserve the next one. If it's a matter of sending proof that I am in possession of the latest, great. But if it's a registration system (which it sounds as though it's not), then damn.

I think if you have Carrie, ‘Salem’s Lot, and The Shining all the same number then you should be good with a request via email to Mindy for that number of Night Shift. Unless you’re a lifetime subscriber, CD doesn’t hold numbers. And if you own all the same number, then I doubt any one else will request that number because they won’t need to match the previous releases. If you know the number I’d move this convo to email with Mindy.

Though I think you should be fine.

But what I think and what I know and reality are three very different things with very little overlap.

DanHocker
06-17-2020, 05:46 AM
Generally speaking first dibs goes to whoever bought the previous book in the series. Now if that person happened to have sold off their whole set, but still has say Night Shift on order with a matching number request. Often we'll contact them to see if they still need the matching number. But there's another wrench in the works here, and that's retailers. They pretty much all get matching numbers and they continue to get those numbers (even though they sell their books). There's only a handful of times where I've pulled a number from a retailer, and they weren't happy about it. So we always do what we can, but we can make no promises. This all said, if you're looking for a full matching set, shoot me an email I might be able to hook you up (no promises though)

kingfan2323
06-17-2020, 07:43 AM
There are no rights.

No. My statement is true. As far as a guarantee right now it means nothing. Not sure why "legality" came into the conversation but you are right that offering rights is good customer service.

amd013
06-17-2020, 08:29 AM
There are no rights.

No. My statement is true. As far as a guarantee right now it means nothing. Not sure why "legality" came into the conversation but you are right that offering rights is good customer service.

I disagree. Your statement is wrong. CD has bent over backwards to match my number at times. If it meant nothing they wouldn't have bothered. Just because they make no guarantees doesn't mean it means nothing.

kingfan2323
06-17-2020, 08:34 AM
There are no rights.

I disagree. Your statement is wrong. CD has bent over backwards to match my number at times. If it meant nothing they wouldn't have bothered. Just because they make no guarantees doesn't mean it means nothing.Awesome that you disagree. What I said is true.

stroppygoblin
06-17-2020, 08:42 AM
Awesome that you disagree. What I said is true.

Having seen your previous posts, i realise the futility of trying to argue with you, but wrong is wrong. It's clearly not true as Dan has already attested to with his response. It DOES mean something to them, that is irrefutable.

kingfan2323
06-17-2020, 08:48 AM

Having seen your previous posts, i realise the futility of trying to argue with you, but wrong is wrong. It's clearly not true as Dan has already attested to with his response. It DOES mean something to them, that is irrefutable.

It does not mean anything to them in regards to a guarantee. Irrefutable.

Joe315
06-17-2020, 09:00 AM

And literally no one disagrees that there is no guarantee. They are saying they will try to match which means it does mean something to them even if they don’t guarantee it.

Ben Eads
06-17-2020, 09:35 AM

Pretty much a collector's mantra.

LOL! Right?

Just got my replacement book today. Very happy! CD rocks!

webstar1000
06-17-2020, 09:42 AM

Did they not match something for you in the past and you lost your number? You seem upset is why I ask...

Black Miau
06-17-2020, 10:17 AM

Did they not match something for you in the past and you lost your number? You seem upset is why I ask...

Everyone has a reason to believe something and it is legitimate. Some work asking for a favor and others don't.
I remember making a list of favorite numbers for Suntup to give me one. He said it was impossible to choose a number. I had bought The Road, Brother, and I am Legend (none were shipping at the time). Then I found out that Suntup had given someone a number that coincided with their birthday. I don't know if that was true. The point is that not everyone can be satisfied. Everyone has a reason to believe in something.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-17-2020, 10:56 AM
I believe in magic in a young girl's heart.

Damn, I should have been a songwriter!

Brian861
06-17-2020, 11:14 AM
I believe in magic in a young girl's heart.

Damn, I should have been a songwriter!

Insert comic relief here :rofl:

Brian861
06-17-2020, 11:23 AM
if you're looking for a full matching set, shoot me an email I might be able to hook you up (no promises though)

Edited for content and to run in the time allowed, but this speaks volumes. And to echo Jeff's statement, it's always best to go to the source vs asking opinions outside of it. Because that's what you're going to get, opinions vs facts or effort. The answer's always no if you don't ask.

DanHocker
06-17-2020, 11:38 AM
if you're looking for a full matching set, shoot me an email I might be able to hook you up (no promises though)

Edited for content and to run in the time allowed, but this speaks volumes. And to echo Jeff's statement, it's always best to go to the source vs asking opinions outside of it. Because that's what you're going to get, opinions vs facts or effort. The answer's always no if you don't ask.

I always tell people to just email / pm and ask. Worst that's gonna happen is I'm going to say I don't have that. But you never know what I might have sitting around.

Brian861
06-17-2020, 11:48 AM

I always tell people to just email / pm and ask. Worst that's gonna happen is I'm going to say I don't have that. But you never know what I might have sitting around.

Yep. I've seen you come through for several folks on several occasions.

andyg75
06-17-2020, 11:56 AM

Yep. I've seen you come through for several folks on several occasions.

+1 here. Dan has come through for me on at least 4 separate occasions with various requests. Even when he’s not been able to locate something, he’s always let me know.

Aremag
06-17-2020, 12:18 PM
Dan hooked me up after I mentioned in a thread how I was missing certain books. He went above and beyond in my estimation.

Dolan
06-17-2020, 12:57 PM
Just to hopefully put a bow in this little present today, Dan helped a lot with the information I was looking for. Thanks a lot, Dan!

jeffingoff
06-17-2020, 01:48 PM
Dan hooked me up after I mentioned in a thread how I was missing certain books. He went above and beyond in my estimation.

Dan once put a Bentley Little book in a paper bag, set the bag on my porch, lit the bag on fire, and rang my doorbell. It was the dead of night on January Something, Two Thousand Something and it was as cold as a Bentley Little plot. I ran down the stairs as the Dragon Lord was opening the door. When I saw the flames, I did the only thing I could think of, I stomped them. I got Bentley Little all over my right slipper and I singed off a goodly portion of my leg hair. My robe got a taste of the flames too. When I saw it was a Bentley Little book in there, I set the bag back on fire and went to bed.

Randall Flagg
06-17-2020, 01:57 PM
Funny.
Rep coming.

Brian861
06-17-2020, 03:38 PM
Funny.
Rep coming.

+1.

Tommy
06-17-2020, 09:51 PM
Just to add to the lovefest, Dan has helped me and my ridiculous requests for quite some time now and deserves a medal in my opinion. :clap:
BJF ain't half bad either....:D

stroppygoblin
06-18-2020, 12:48 AM

You made 2 statements:

1. There are no rights.
2. So you can have matching numbers on all four current DD books and means nothing to them

I have agreed with the first statement and stated that NO publisher offers a guarantee that could be enforced by the buyer.
Your second statement is 100% wrong.

You cannot keep referencing your first statement as evidence that your second statement is correct.

stroppygoblin
06-18-2020, 01:07 AM
Everyone has a reason to believe something and it is legitimate. Some work asking for a favor and others don't.
I remember making a list of favorite numbers for Suntup to give me one. He said it was impossible to choose a number. I had bought The Road, Brother, and I am Legend (none were shipping at the time). Then I found out that Suntup had given someone a number that coincided with their birthday. I don't know if that was true. The point is that not everyone can be satisfied. Everyone has a reason to believe in something.

Lets just stop to think about what it means to match someones number for a minute...

There is the easy view. "I bought the last book xxx published and I would like to match my number to that" Nice and simple right? and if everyone who bought the last book xxx published, bought the next book as well it really would be just a case of keeping a list of names and sending out the same # to the same person every time.

But that is not the case, people don't always buy the next book, sometimes they skip a few and so the # they had will be released and passed on to someone else and then that person passes on a book and someone else gets the number, etc. Now let's take into account limitations. Book A is released with a limitation of 250. The next book B is released with a limitation of 350. we now not only have another 100 designations to track, but now we have 2 tracks to monitor designations for. If Book C is also 250, then we cant match designations for any owners of Book B > 250, BUT we can if the next book is > 250. But what if it's only 300? You see how quickly this can get out of hand?

For someone like CD, with the time they have been publishing, the number of books they have published and the variations in limitation, this is just an impossible task to track everyones number. This is why they have gone down the "Please let us know your number and we will TRY to match it for you" I cannot imagine the amount of effort Dan, Brian and co have to put in with lists of buyers and their previous designations.

With regards to the special requests, sometimes the stars align, if someone asked for a number that matched their birthday AND the person who bought the last book with that designation didn't buy this one, then it would have been possible for Paul to give them that #. But again thats extra effort on Paul's part and not something that is sustainable for a lot of requests.

DanHocker
06-18-2020, 06:06 AM

Lets just stop to think about what it means to match someones number for a minute...

There is the easy view. "I bought the last book xxx published and I would like to match my number to that" Nice and simple right? and if everyone who bought the last book xxx published, bought the next book as well it really would be just a case of keeping a list of names and sending out the same # to the same person every time.

But that is not the case, people don't always buy the next book, sometimes they skip a few and so the # they had will be released and passed on to someone else and then that person passes on a book and someone else gets the number, etc. Now let's take into account limitations. Book A is released with a limitation of 250. The next book B is released with a limitation of 350. we now not only have another 100 designations to track, but now we have 2 tracks to monitor designations for. If Book C is also 250, then we cant match designations for any owners of Book B > 250, BUT we can if the next book is > 250. But what if it's only 300? You see how quickly this can get out of hand?

For someone like CD, with the time they have been publishing, the number of books they have published and the variations in limitation, this is just an impossible task to track everyones number. This is why they have gone down the "Please let us know your number and we will TRY to match it for you" I cannot imagine the amount of effort Dan, Brian and co have to put in with lists of buyers and their previous designations.

With regards to the special requests, sometimes the stars align, if someone asked for a number that matched their birthday AND the person who bought the last book with that designation didn't buy this one, then it would have been possible for Paul to give them that #. But again thats extra effort on Paul's part and not something that is sustainable for a lot of requests.

Too add to that complication, it's really easy to just assign numbers when a book sells out pre-publication. But when a book doesn't and ends up being in stock and trickling the rest of the stock out over several months and in grab bags and what not, then keeping track becomes very difficult. On top of all of that, largely most people don't actually care about matching numbers. Even on something like the 3rd book in a trilogy or one of the Double Day Years series, there's maybe at most 50% of people who order requesting matching numbers. You get outside of series and you look at something like Brian Keene's "End of the Road" and if I remember correctly (other than lifer numbers), there were no number requests at all on that book, and that's normal for most of what we publish.

jeffingoff
06-18-2020, 06:32 AM
I think we need to conduct a poll to determine how much collectors want matching numbers. Because I think a lot more than 50% of collectors want them.

And maybe that word collector is the key. Maybe 50% of customers overall--including both casual and collector--want them, but 90% of collectors want them.

Anyway, I think it's hugely important for books in a series or books from the same author and publisher to have a matching number. I've seen people try to match their numbers across publishers to keep the same number with the author. I just sold the first two CJ Tudor books and the buyer asked me to let Bill know he wanted the number on her third book to match the first two. I've no doubt that the matching numbers are why my auction sold near the published price and the other auctions went unsold.

This Forum is full of people looking for specific numbers.

stroppygoblin
06-18-2020, 06:34 AM
I think we need to conduct a poll to determine how much collectors want matching numbers. Because I think a lot more than 50% of collectors want them.

And maybe that word collector is the key. Maybe 50% of customers overall--including both casual and collector--want them, but 90% of collectors want them.

Anyway, I think it's hugely important for books in a series or books from the same author and publisher to have a matching number. I've seen people try to match their numbers across publishers to keep the same number with the author. I just sold the first two CJ Tudor books and the buyer asked me to let Bill know he wanted the number on her third book to match the first two. I've no doubt that the matching numbers are why my auction sold near the published price and the other auctions went unsold.

Much as I hate to admit it, Not every book collector (or even King Collector) is a member of this site. We are a small % of CD's customers.

jeffingoff
06-18-2020, 06:37 AM
Much as I hate to admit it, Not every book collector (or even King Collector) is a member of this site. We are a small % of CD's customers.

Very true. That's why I included the distinction between casual and collector in my post. But you're right, among collectors there are also degrees of collecting.

kingfan2323
06-18-2020, 06:45 AM

You made 2 statements:

1. There are no rights.
2. So you can have matching numbers on all four current DD books and means nothing to them

I have agreed with the first statement and stated that NO publisher offers a guarantee that could be enforced by the buyer.

You cannot keep referencing your first statement as evidence that your second statement is correct.My first statement was there are no "rights"
My 2nd statement is 100% right. As I stated in my first reply to you (regarding my second statement): "As far as a guarantee right now it means nothing."

webstar1000
06-18-2020, 07:17 AM

Geez I would say number is (at times) important to well over half. I would go so far as to say... 70%+

DanHocker
06-18-2020, 07:28 AM

This is the real thing here. Think of the active members here and even on the Facebook groups who actively buy even just SK special editions and compare that to the print runs on those special editions. It's a really small percentage. Honestly I was probably being generous when I said 50%, it's probably less than that, because (at least with the Doubleday Years) I don't even think 50% of people are actually even buying every book in the series.

Edit: I'd also like to add to this, that I largely think matching numbers is more of a collector thing than it is a value thing. Because monetarily your books are probably worth more sold individually than they are as a set (with some few exceptions).

Hunchback Jack
06-18-2020, 08:31 AM
That's very true. There's a "bulk discount" expectation even with a matching set.

HBJ

andyg75
06-18-2020, 08:36 AM

This is the real thing here. Think of the active members here and even on the Facebook groups who actively buy even just SK special editions and compare that to the print runs on those special editions. It's a really small percentage. Honestly I was probably being generous when I said 50%, it's probably less than that, because (at least with the Doubleday Years) I don't even think 50% of people are actually even buying every book in the series.

Edit: I'd also like to add to this, that I largely think matching numbers is more of a collector thing than it is a value thing. Because monetarily your books are probably worth more sold individually than they are as a set (with some few exceptions).

Matching numbers only appeal to me if it’s part of a set, ie the Doubleday Years set or the DT set. Other than that, I’m not really bothered about matching numbers. It’s not really about re-sale value, more that it’s just nice to have the matching set. Just my opinion

amd013
06-18-2020, 09:03 AM

You made 2 statements:

1. There are no rights.

You cannot keep referencing your first statement as evidence that your second statement is correct.My first statement was there are no "rights"
My 2nd statement is 100% right. As I stated in my first reply to you (regarding my second statement): "As far as a guarantee right now it means nothing."

Now you are changing what you said. You originally said "So you can have matching numbers on all four current DD books and means nothing to them"

To me that statement says that they don't give a shit, and don't bother asking for a number. It does mean something to them, as they do make an effort to match. Just because they can't give a guarantee doesn't mean it means nothing to them. Your original statements never mentioned the word guarantee.

kingfan2323
06-18-2020, 09:05 AM

You made 2 statements:

1. There are no rights.

Now you are changing what you said. You originally said "So you can have matching numbers on all four current DD books and means nothing to them"

To me that statement says that they don't give a shit, and don't bother asking for a number. It does mean something to them, as they do make an effort to match. Just because they can't give a guarantee doesn't mean it means nothing to them. Your original statements never mentioned the word guarantee.

Was referring to my reply to Stroppy.

amd013
06-18-2020, 09:06 AM

Matching numbers only appeal to me if it’s part of a set, ie the Doubleday Years set or the DT set. Other than that, I’m not really bothered about matching numbers. It’s not really about re-sale value, more that it’s just nice to have the matching set. Just my opinion

Pretty much agree with that. The only things that I have made any effort to have matching numbers/letters on are: DT series, DD series from CD, Suntup Editions (which I just quit).

EDIT: one other case, if there is a portfolio or paperweight associated with the book.

Splync
06-18-2020, 10:03 AM
Generally, I also don't care about matching numbers. It's cool for sets (like Suntup or the Little Books), but I've never tracked my numbers for a good majority of my purchases.

I've recently started to archive my collection on a spreadsheet (titles, authors, publishers, and limitation numbers), and it IS kind of fun when I discover that I accidentally have matching numbers for completely unrelated titles. But that is obviously mere coincidence.

And when I have actually requested matching numbers, CD has always been as accommodating as they possibly can. They have such great customer service!

ICry4Oy
06-18-2020, 10:46 AM
to lighten things up, Brian any news about 'the night eternal' ? ;-)
i know you busy with letterpress, but i hope this will finally see the light of day before mid 2020 ?
thanks in advance.

Hey, something I can have good news about! :rock:

The Night Eternal and a surprise project are both just about printer-ready. My personal goal would be for both of these to be rolling at the printer before the formal announcements and preorder listings go out. That way, folks don't have to wait as long as for some of the previous books. :)

Brian

Hi Brian,

Was wondering if this eventually was sent to the printer?

Thanks!

Leo

Thanks for asking about these!

They've been patiently waiting on the back burner while I worked out some printer issues (I want The Night Eternal to look like it was printed by the same crew as the others, and the same deal with the "surprise" book since it also creates a "set" of sorts with another previously published book), but assuming the printer I picked for both of these stays open, I think we'll be starting The Night Eternal in mid-June... and hopefully the other book in August.

We'll have to see what is happening in the world. But I'm hopeful right now!

Brian

Just got this email. YIPPEE!!!! I got the first 2 from Camelot.

BREAKING NEWS!

We're thrilled to report that the deluxe Limited Edition and Lettered Edition of The Night Eternal by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan is headed to the printer!

If you purchased The Fall special edition and did NOT receive an email this week from myself or Mindy at Cemetery Dance about reserving your matching number/letter for The Night Eternal, PLEASE email Mindy at order@cemeterydance.com ASAP to find out how to reserve your copy of the final book in this incredible trilogy.

More news to come! Thank you for your continuing patience and support!

Randall Flagg
06-18-2020, 10:59 AM

Poll has been posted.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-18-2020, 11:39 AM
Thanks a lot, guys!
This shelf was comfortably filled!
Now where am I going to put the last two books!?!?
Gee whiz!

https://i.imgur.com/a0JN6kE.jpg

CyberGhostface
06-18-2020, 04:46 PM
Decided to purchase CD’s eBook ‘Touch the Night’ based on the premise of ‘Stranger Things meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre’.

jeffingoff
06-18-2020, 04:56 PM
Thanks a lot, guys!
This shelf was comfortably filled!
Now where am I going to put the last two books!?!?
Gee whiz!

https://i.imgur.com/a0JN6kE.jpg

I have letter X of The Fall. I’m considering selling it if Lonely Road/CD would transfer the rights to whoever buys it from me.

Splync
06-18-2020, 06:23 PM
I have letter X of The Fall. I’m considering selling it if Lonely Road/CD would transfer the rights to whoever buys it from me.

I don't know... I heard it from somebody else that Cemetery Dance doesn't give a shit about rights!

I'm kidding, of course! (Please don't stab me, kingfan.)

Ben Eads
06-18-2020, 07:58 PM
Decided to purchase CD’s eBook ‘Touch the Night’ based on the premise of ‘Stranger Things meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre’.

Me too! Heard good things about it.

swintek
06-18-2020, 09:31 PM

Thank you for this bit of sanity, here, Dan. I absolutely consider myself a Serious Collector. And I really don't care about which number I get because- it doesn't matter one bit! It's a... message-board-fueled fabrication, it seems. It has no real implication in collecting. If someone wants to over-pay for a set of books- unrelated, or otherwise- because they all have the same number- that's on them, and has zero intrinsic value to the collectible book or books. Don't get me started on "Lower" numbers!

webstar1000
06-19-2020, 04:48 AM

Thank you for this bit of sanity, here, Dan. I absolutely consider myself a Serious Collector. And I really don't care about which number I get because- it doesn't matter one bit! It's a... message-board-fueled fabrication, it seems. It has no real implication in collecting. If someone wants to over-pay for a set of books- unrelated, or otherwise- because they all have the same number- that's on them, and has zero intrinsic value to the collectible book or books. Don't get me started on "Lower" numbers!

"lower numbers"... uggg. Don't get me started either. I will NEVER understand that one. AND some people will charge/pay more the lower it is!!!!!! I do NOT get that at all...

St. Troy
06-19-2020, 05:16 AM
A bit like license plates.

jsweet
06-19-2020, 06:28 AM

Well said - I didn't even think of matching numbers being a thing until I joined this site!

Cwalker
06-19-2020, 08:13 AM
A question for the CD folk about signature sheets. I assume (and correct me if i am wrong) that part of any contract with an author and any artists that are associated with a project is the timely submission or return of all the pieces and parts related to that project. That would include signature sheets. If this is indeed part of a contract, then why are there cases like Strange Weather where your production page states that one of the artists has had the sig sheets in their possessions for over a YEAR! I understand that life and work sometimes gets in the way, but what about responsibility and the honoring of written agreements? And if this is not the case, that this is not part of any standard contract, why isn’t it? Perhaps it is easier to just not rock the boat, but people like that are making you guys look bad.

Thanks!

amd013
06-19-2020, 10:17 AM

"lower numbers"... uggg. Don't get me started either. I will NEVER understand that one. AND some people will charge/pay more the lower it is!!!!!! I do NOT get that at all...

I could see the attraction to #1 or A. But other then that I agree.

amd013
06-19-2020, 10:20 AM
A question for the CD folk about signature sheets. I assume (and correct me if i am wrong) that part of any contract with an author and any artists that are associated with a project is the timely submission or return of all the pieces and parts related to that project. That would include signature sheets. If this is indeed part of a contract, then why are there cases like Strange Weather where your production page states that one of the artists has had the sig sheets in their possessions for over a YEAR! I understand that life and work sometimes gets in the way, but what about responsibility and the honoring of written agreements? And if this is not the case, that this is not part of any standard contract, why isn’t it? Perhaps it is easier to just not rock the boat, but people like that are making you guys look bad.

Thanks!

Yeah, I have been wondering about Flight or Fright, seems like we have been waiting on that last signature for a very long time. Given the covid lockdowns, I think even the busy writers/artists would have the time to sign now.

St. Troy
06-19-2020, 10:23 AM
I think this (the first half, anyway) is a new update on Night Shift from CD's production updates page:

We have some very good news: the Limited Edition and Artist Numbered Edition of Night Shift have been completed, and the slipcases and traycases are being started now that the case maker has finished books to get the sizing just right...We're not going to announce a publication date just yet because these big Stephen King projects have A LOT of moving parts, and there can be delays, etc. We just don't want to post a date until we're 100% sure of what that date should be, but we did want to let everyone know this one is much closer to publication and will be out this year. Thank you very much for your patience!

...but now that I look closely at it, I wonder what they mean by "Limited Edition" - all editions are limited, and since they mention the numbered edition after the "limited," "limited" must either mean the lettered or the gift edition (more likely the GE, since lettereds usually take longer and are their own beast).

St. Troy
06-19-2020, 10:25 AM
A question for the CD folk about signature sheets. I assume (and correct me if i am wrong) that part of any contract with an author and any artists that are associated with a project is the timely submission or return of all the pieces and parts related to that project. That would include signature sheets. If this is indeed part of a contract, then why are there cases like Strange Weather where your production page states that one of the artists has had the sig sheets in their possessions for over a YEAR!

I certainly don't speak for CD, but I think the idea is that publishers are afraid to rock this particular boat for fear of irritating authors and spoiling the possibility of future collaboration...but you are right, of course.

webstar1000
06-19-2020, 10:27 AM
Yes... #1. I have a couple letter A's and that doesn't do anything for me. #1 I think would.... only cause it is cool. And I wouldn't pay much more after market for one..

goathunter
06-19-2020, 11:03 AM
I understand that life and work sometimes gets in the way, but what about responsibility and the honoring of written agreements? And if this is not the case, that this is not part of any standard contract, why isn’t it? Perhaps it is easier to just not rock the boat, but people like that are making you guys look bad.

If the person isn't returning them, what is CD supposed to do? They can ask about them, and they do, but they can't force someone to do it. If a person isn't going to do it, reminding him/her that it's in the contract, if it is, won't change anything. They're either going to take personal responsibility and get it done, or they're not.

St. Troy
06-19-2020, 11:29 AM
I understand that life and work sometimes gets in the way, but what about responsibility and the honoring of written agreements? And if this is not the case, that this is not part of any standard contract, why isn’t it? Perhaps it is easier to just not rock the boat, but people like that are making you guys look bad.

If the person isn't returning them, what is CD supposed to do? They can ask about them, and they do, but they can't force someone to do it. If a person isn't going to do it, reminding him/her that it's in the contract, if it is, won't change anything. They're either going to take personal responsibility and get it done, or they're not.

Apathy is a hell of a lever.

jeffingoff
06-19-2020, 11:43 AM

Artists need to line up new work. If it's known that the artist is difficult and unprofessional then work dries up. Small press publishing is not a huge pond and if CD talks to PS and talks to Suntup and so on and that artist will find work is tougher to come by. Not saying that it's a thing to use lightly, but letting the world know that hundreds of people are waiting on one artist is a course of action. And of course, the idea that there's a bridge burned with that particular publisher. As well as possible legal action. None of these are preferable to a little patience, but there has to be a time when the patience runs out.

lotuz
06-19-2020, 11:52 AM

What's crazy to me is that it's just SO easy! Like no thought required.

It's the kind of thing that if I was having a super lazy day and just didn't feel like working, I could put on Netflix at the end of the day, bang out some signature sheets, and get to check it off my to-do list and feel like I actually did something productive. Of course I'm not a big-time writer and the most things I ever signed at once was a stack of Thank You cards after my wedding so maybe it's different when you've done it thousands of times. But still: it requires no creative thought, no analytical thought, really no thought at all other than "stay on the line"... An enduring (and frustrating) mystery...

Brian861
06-19-2020, 12:17 PM

Thanks!

I believe I made some of those same arguments over on the CD forum, Chris awhile back and the answer was in a nutshell, don't ruffle the "creative's" feathers or they'll refuse to work with you again. I hadn't read the sig sheets had been in someone's hands for over a year. That's ridiculous.

Jeff makes some exactly points as I'm sure there are plenty of talented, starving artist out there who could get the work done in a timely matter. I'm sure there are probably a ton of other reasons it's been delayed so long that CD can't or won't discuss openly.

Randall Flagg
06-19-2020, 01:02 PM
Structure the pay for artists such that 50% of the total pay is dispensed upon receipt of the signature sheets.

St. Troy
06-19-2020, 01:04 PM

What's crazy to me is that it's just SO easy! Like no thought required.

Bingo. They just...don't...care.

St. Troy
06-19-2020, 01:04 PM
Structure the pay for artists such that 50% of the total pay is dispensed upon receipt of the signature sheets.

This is a kickass idea.

Cwalker
06-19-2020, 04:22 PM

Thanks!

I believe I made some of those same arguments over on the CD forum, Chris awhile back and the answer was in a nutshell, don't ruffle the "creative's" feathers or they'll refuse to work with you again. I hadn't read the sig sheets had been in someone's hands for over a year. That's ridiculous.

Jeff makes some exactly points as I'm sure there are plenty of talented, starving artist out there who could get the work done in a timely matter. I'm sure there are probably a ton of other reasons it's been delayed so long that CD can't or won't discuss openly.

I was thinking the “artistic temperament” may be a big factor in this, but at some point you need to either shit or get off the pot. Looking at the list of artists working on Strange Weather i think we can safely remove Gabe Rodriguez and CPW III from the list of delays. They have both worked with Joe on many, many projects and seemingly have too much respect for each other to pull this kind of move. The others? Never heard of them. Now, that doesn’t really mean much, but they aren’t names i know.

We don’t need to blacklist anyone, just don’t hire them again. At some point they may get the hint.

If this were entirely a CD thing, we would be screaming about their irresponsibility and lack of concern for the customer or whatever. I am not pointing any fingers at CD (except to think that maybe someone could get a little “ultimatum-ly” about this). I would just like these temperamental creative types (authors included) to show some respect for us as well. Don’t commit to something you can’t complete.

goathunter
06-19-2020, 06:44 PM
Artists need to line up new work. If it's known that the artist is difficult and unprofessional then work dries up. Small press publishing is not a huge pond and if CD talks to PS and talks to Suntup and so on and that artist will find work is tougher to come by. Not saying that it's a thing to use lightly, but letting the world know that hundreds of people are waiting on one artist is a course of action. And of course, the idea that there's a bridge burned with that particular publisher. As well as possible legal action. None of these are preferable to a little patience, but there has to be a time when the patience runs out.

Sure. That would work for the next project(s). It doesn't help with the currently-stalled sheets. Not quickly, anyway. If they cared about a threat of "we won't work with you," they'd care about honoring their previous commitment(s) so that doesn't happen.

And legal action costs $$$ and still doesn't guarantee cooperation.

Joe315
06-19-2020, 10:26 PM
Yes... #1. I have a couple letter A's and that doesn't do anything for me. #1 I think would.... only cause it is cool. And I wouldn't pay much more after market for one..

A lower number could be important if you are trying to complete a set when the latter books in the series have increased limitations, like the dark tower.

St. Troy
06-20-2020, 05:14 AM
I can’t help but think CD’s position, every time, is similar to a guy with his first really attractive girlfriend: he tires of the nonsense and agrees with his friends when they criticize, but above all he doesn’t want her to leave (hot doesn’t grow on trees).

GenericEric
06-20-2020, 02:50 PM
I'm new to collecting King so any input would be welcomed.

Someone has offered to sell me the S/L of Full Dark, No Stars for $575. Is that a fair price? I've looked around a little bit and it seems like it's more than fair. Thoughts?

Randall Flagg
06-20-2020, 02:55 PM
Seems about right. Better deals can be had, but it may take some time. If someone jumps in and offers you one for $500, jump!

Frondz
06-20-2020, 02:56 PM

Someone has offered to sell me the S/L of Full Dark, No Stars for $575. Is that a fair price? I've looked around a little bit and it seems like it's more than fair. Thoughts?

Not a bad price, but someone here has one for $525. Why not save $50 and shop local?

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?6468-Collectible-Classifieds-Primarily-for-Stephen-King-Items&p=1203436&highlight=classifieds#post1203436

GenericEric
06-20-2020, 03:06 PM

Not a bad price, but someone here has one for $525. Why not save $50 and shop local?

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?6468-Collectible-Classifieds-Primarily-for-Stephen-King-Items&p=1203436&highlight=classifieds#post1203436
Oh wow...I must have missed that when I was in that thread. Probably not going to find a better deal than that anytime soon. Thanks for the heads up.

Frondz
06-20-2020, 04:59 PM

Oh wow...I must have missed that when I was in that thread. Probably not going to find a better deal than that anytime soon. Thanks for the heads up.

Happy to help facilitate!

GenericEric
06-20-2020, 09:43 PM
Was able to get it from Steve for 500 and yes, RF I did jump at that price.

This is actually my first ever signed King book. Couldn't be happier.

jeffingoff
06-21-2020, 04:22 AM
Was able to get it from Steve for 500 and yes, RF I did jump at that price.

This is actually my first ever signed King book. Couldn't be happier.

Well congrats! That’s awesome.

Ben Eads
06-21-2020, 08:01 AM
I love to see collectors helping collectors. The folks here have always helped me out and I'm happy to help them out. =) Some light during these dark times.

ICry4Oy
06-21-2020, 08:19 AM
Now that Night Shift is finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, I have to ask has there been any forward movement on The Stand?

St. Troy
06-22-2020, 05:04 AM
Now that Night Shift is finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, I have to ask has there been any forward movement on The Stand?

I forget the details, but I believe, since Night Shift has been backed up, progress has been made on The Stand, but with less discussion since it's not the next one up. I know some of Dameron's illustrations have been out there for a while.

Also, ICry4Oy, I don't know why your signature is "Messin' with Sasquatch," but if you like those commercials...you are not alone.

St. Troy
06-22-2020, 05:30 AM
Here's some CD The Stand info:

An image from 1/11/20: https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?5552-Cemetery-Dance-discussion-thread&p=1179587&viewfull=1#post1179587

Some Dameron images: https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?5552-Cemetery-Dance-discussion-thread&p=1121426&viewfull=1#post1121426

Beverly Marsh
06-22-2020, 05:40 AM
Case in point to things getting signed/drawn. Tabitha King. I just double checked the production update for Caretakers and it hasn't changed from "author having time to sign" This November will be three years since that order was placed but who's going to take the chance of pissing her off? I'm sure that's a line no one wants to cross and understandably so but three years?

Side note: I hope once Night Shift is rolling out the door the remarques roll pretty quickly too. Excited to see what I get!
Also, does anyone think Ned will remarque The Stand?

DanHocker
06-22-2020, 05:58 AM
Pretty much everything's been said about the sig sheets, but usually the complications come with people that we haven't worked with before. Often times it's a one off thing. It sucks, but there's really not much we can do about it when it happens.

DanHocker
06-22-2020, 06:00 AM
Side note: I hope once Night Shift is rolling out the door the remarques roll pretty quickly too. Excited to see what I get!
Also, does anyone think Ned will remarque The Stand?

Per usual with the Double Day stuff the remarques will ship as soon as we're done the non remarqued books. We'll have them in hand at the same time, we just won't ship them at the same time as we don't want to risk mixing them up with the regular books.

Ari_Racing
06-22-2020, 07:17 AM
https://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/NightShift.jpg

St. Troy
06-22-2020, 07:21 AM
Can't wait...

Brian James Freeman
06-22-2020, 07:27 AM
Geez! My notifications stop working and I miss all the conversation!

All of the artwork is done, and all of the signature sheets are signed.

Proofreading has proven to be a slog because the digital file we received was full of scanning errors, which we didn't realize until after design was completed. (We don't copyedit files that come from the trade publisher, they're usually in good shape. We still proofread our designed pages, though!) This is going to take all of our proofreaders given the SIZE of the book, but we're making progress.

I can't give a date because all of that is out of my control, but I can assure everyone that we haven't been waiting on Night Shift to be done to start on The Stand. :)

Best,
Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-22-2020, 07:28 AM

I hope no one is jealous of my fancy cardboard backdrop... :cool:

Ben Mears
06-22-2020, 08:02 AM
Case in point to things getting signed/drawn. Tabitha King. I just double checked the production update for Caretakers and it hasn't changed from "author having time to sign" This November will be three years since that order was placed but who's going to take the chance of pissing her off? I'm sure that's a line no one wants to cross and understandably so but three years?

Why not move forward without her signature and adjust the price accordingly unless the contract prohibits that option? She's either on board or not but to hold up production for more than two years is inexcusable unless she is not in good health.

Ari_Racing
06-22-2020, 08:33 AM
Well...you might get a lot of cancelations if the book is not signed.

Ben Mears
06-22-2020, 09:06 AM
Well...you might get a lot of cancelations if the book is not signed.

I can't speak for others but if I liked the book enough to be interested in a limited edition and the choice was between getting an unsigned version in the next 6 months vs the likelihood of never getting a signed version I would go for the sure thing.

Ari_Racing
06-22-2020, 09:14 AM
It's a fair choice.

Ari_Racing
06-22-2020, 10:06 AM

I hope no one is jealous of my fancy cardboard backdrop... :cool:

HA! I won't ask you for a copy of that cardboard backdrop...yet. :P

But I'm really, really happy to see the books there. I've been hoping for a book with illustrations by Mark Stutzman for a long time, and this one looks incredible.

By the way, I sent you a PM :)

jeffingoff
06-22-2020, 10:32 AM
this one looks incredible.

I agree this looks so so so good! It'll be my only edition of Night Shift as well. The only other edition I've ever owned was a paperback (the one with the die cut eyes on the over) that was destroyed in a basement flood. So this can't happen soon enough for me.

Br!an
06-22-2020, 10:39 AM

I agree this looks so so so good! It'll be my only edition of Night Shift as well. The only other edition I've ever owned was a paperback (the one with the die cut eyes on the over) that was destroyed in a basement flood. So this can't happen soon enough for me.

That's what you get for keeping your book in Gerald's basement. :wtf:

jeffingoff
06-22-2020, 10:42 AM

That's what you get for keeping your book in Gerald's basement. :wtf:

:panic: :D

Dolan
06-22-2020, 11:02 AM

Why not move forward without her signature and adjust the price accordingly unless the contract prohibits that option? She's either on board or not but to hold up production for more than two years is inexcusable unless she is not in good health.

How long would it take to sign a stack of papers that you agreed to sign? A weekend? A month?

I get that they are busy people, but ...

St. Troy
06-22-2020, 11:03 AM
I have a water-swollen paperback of The Stand (with the cool blue/black cover combining a face and a bird). I kept it because A) it is the only copy I've ever owned of the original version, and B) it is hilarious in appearance. Strangely, I have no idea how it got wet...

allasorte
06-22-2020, 05:12 PM

That is ridiculous. I concur

Munnecom
06-23-2020, 12:13 AM
Hey Brian, quick question:

Is there any chance that CD will publish an edition of Max Brooks’ new “found footage” novel Devolution, to go with World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide? Are there any current plans to do so, however premature?

Thanks!

Brian James Freeman
06-23-2020, 09:58 AM
Hey Brian, quick question:

Is there any chance that CD will publish an edition of Max Brooks’ new “found footage” novel Devolution, to go with World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide? Are there any current plans to do so, however premature?

Thanks!

Nothing I can comment on at the moment, unfortunately! We're focusing most of our energy on the overdue preorders, and anything with contractual publication dates of this year, plus catching up on some other projects. Thanks for asking, though!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-23-2020, 10:00 AM
I've been working to plug the holes in the "Guest Essays" section of Stephen King Revisited, and I liked JD Barker's ROADWORK essay so much that I went ahead and posted it on the website as well:

http://www.stephenkingrevisited.com/roadwork-revisited-by-j-d-barker/

Richard has plans to continue the site once he's done writing his new book, by the way. I'd love to see that happen because it was a lot of fun to work on.

Best,
Brian

burgerhicks80
06-23-2020, 10:53 AM
I've been working to plug the holes in the "Guest Essays" section of Stephen King Revisited, and I liked JD Barker's ROADWORK essay so much that I went ahead and posted it on the website as well:

http://www.stephenkingrevisited.com/roadwork-revisited-by-j-d-barker/

Richard has plans to continue the site once he's done writing his new book, by the way. I'd love to see that happen because it was a lot of fun to work on.

Best,
Brian

that's a great essay!

GenericEric
06-23-2020, 12:51 PM
Hey, Brian.

I know you can't give any set dates, but regarding Usher's Passing. The update still says a 2020 publication date.

Do you still stand by that estimate? Late 2020 probably?

Brian James Freeman
06-23-2020, 07:24 PM
Hey, Brian.

I know you can't give any set dates, but regarding Usher's Passing. The update still says a 2020 publication date.

Do you still stand by that estimate? Late 2020 probably?

That's what I'm hearing, but I'll post when the book goes to the printer!

Brian

GenericEric
06-23-2020, 09:35 PM
I know we still have The Stand up next after Night Shift, but I'm really looking forward to see what CD does with Pet Sematary.

We've never had a proper limited edition of that book. (I don't count PS' edition) I know it's still years away, but I'm sure CD will do it justice.

webstar1000
06-24-2020, 03:23 AM
I know we still have The Stand up next after Night Shift, but I'm really looking forward to see what CD does with Pet Sematary.

We've never had a proper limited edition of that book. (I don't count PS' edition) I know it's still years away, but I'm sure CD will do it justice.

PS still did a limited SO you have to count it. Now... I do think CD will do a better one. They have always been SO secretive over PS.... not sharing any details. I have always (AND STATED THIS) maintained that it will be a signed by King edition. I think it will cap off the set beautifully and be VERY coveted as it will be the first S/L of the book. And will go nicely with a matching set. I hope I am right.

jeffingoff
06-24-2020, 04:27 AM

PS still did a limited SO you have to count it. Now... I do think CD will do a better one. They have always been SO secretive over PS.... not sharing any details. I have always (AND STATED THIS) maintained that it will be a signed by King edition. I think it will cap off the set beautifully and be VERY coveted as it will be the first S/L of the book. And will go nicely with a matching set. I hope I am right.

I posted somewhere (here? There?) that for Pet Sematary they should change their logo on the slipcase or dust jacket to SD and spell their name Sematary Dance. That would be fun. And who doesn’t like fun?

GenericEric
06-24-2020, 06:22 PM
Was bidding on a Sleeping Beauties Gift edition but once it got over $100 that's when I pulled out. The winning bid was $122.50

I know sometimes it can be had for under 100 so I'll still be on the lookout.

Roseannebarr
06-24-2020, 06:31 PM

I posted somewhere (here? There?) that for Pet Sematary they should change their logo on the slipcase or dust jacket to SD and spell their name Sematary Dance. That would be fun. And who doesn’t like fun?

Grate Idea. i second your idea. :emot-roflolmao: But i know alot of people that dont like fun. Including a few on this site. :deadhorse:

jeffingoff
06-24-2020, 06:36 PM

Grate Idea. i second your idea. :emot-roflolmao: But i know alot of people that dont like fun. Including a few on this site. :deadhorse:

I realize no one likes fun.

Joe315
06-24-2020, 09:16 PM

I third it. Great idea.

GenericEric
06-26-2020, 09:15 AM
Got the gift edition of Sleeping Beauties off ebay for $98.

Once in awhile some will pop up under retail price. It's such a beautiful edition. Really love that artwork.

St. Troy
06-26-2020, 09:17 AM
Got the gift edition of Sleeping Beauties off ebay for $98.

Once in awhile some will pop up under retail price. It's such a beautiful edition. Really love that artwork.

I haven't read it and so didn't pursue this, but yes, it is quite nice.

St. Troy
06-29-2020, 12:30 PM
...well, it's nice to have that taken care of.

sullichin
06-30-2020, 06:50 AM
...well, it's nice to have that taken care of.

it sure is!

GenericEric
06-30-2020, 06:54 AM
Is $210 a good deal for the gift edition of Doctor Sleep?

webstar1000
06-30-2020, 07:16 AM

no I think its high. NOT crazy high... I think if you got it for $150 that would be much better

GenericEric
06-30-2020, 09:10 AM

no I think its high. NOT crazy high... I think if you got it for $150 that would be much better

That's the best price I can find anywhere. All the the other's I'm seeing are closer to $300. Not sure I'm going to find one below $200 anytime soon.

bdwyer19
07-03-2020, 05:52 AM
Brian/Dan - Is it still possible to buy an If It Bleeds slipcase? I can't find it on the CD website at all.

stroppygoblin
07-03-2020, 08:08 AM
Brian/Dan - Is it still possible to buy an If It Bleeds slipcase? I can't find it on the CD website at all.

Doubtful. It must be cold at the Cemetery Dance offices, 'cos those windows of opportunity sure close quick!

kingfan2323
07-03-2020, 08:16 AM
Institute slip shipping would be nice. Book came out almost a year ago.

Br!an
07-03-2020, 10:56 AM

It was there two days ago.

DanHocker
07-03-2020, 11:00 AM
I think Brian just removed it from the site yesterday. Feel free to email me we can do a manual order.

bdwyer19
07-03-2020, 01:26 PM
I think Brian just removed it from the site yesterday. Feel free to email me we can do a manual order.

Thanks Dan. Email sent.

Brian James Freeman
07-03-2020, 01:58 PM

Our slipcase maker is currently operating with only 15% to 20% of their workforce active for each shift, but that case has been in production with them for a while now and we expect to have them this summer. They had promised a July delivery date, but I'm waiting to hear back if that's still happening. I'll post an update when I know more.

Brian

Aremag
07-03-2020, 06:35 PM

Our slipcase maker is currently operating with only 15% to 20% of their workforce active for each shift, but that case has been in production with them for a while now and we expect to have them this summer. They had promised a July delivery date, but I'm waiting to hear back if that's still happening. I'll post an update when I know more.

Brian

If they are still making them when you talk to them tell them to make an extra one for me.

kingfan2323
07-05-2020, 09:07 AM

BrianThey were supposed to be done long before Covid even hit though.

Brian James Freeman
07-05-2020, 10:17 AM

On March 3, I replied to your question with this information:

"I know the slipcase maker has all of the materials and the stamping dies now, but I'm waiting on their estimated ship date. I'll be checking in this week, though."

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?5552-Cemetery-Dance-discussion-thread&p=1186742&viewfull=1#post1186742

On March 20, their state's governor ordered all non-essential businesses to close. It turns out that slipcase makers are considered non-essential for some reason.

They reopened for business on June 1 with extreme social distancing and health measures in place, and they've been working on this case since then.

They had promised a July delivery date, but I'm waiting to hear back if that's still happening. I'll post an update when I know more.

Brian

kingfan2323
07-05-2020, 10:46 AM

"I know the slipcase maker has all of the materials and the stamping dies now, but I'm waiting on their estimated ship date. I'll be checking in this week, though."

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?5552-Cemetery-Dance-discussion-thread&p=1186742&viewfull=1#post1186742

On March 20, their state's governor ordered all non-essential businesses to close. It turns out that slipcase makers are considered non-essential for some reason.

They reopened for business on June 1 with extreme social distancing and health measures in place, and they've been working on this case since then.

They had promised a July delivery date, but I'm waiting to hear back if that's still happening. I'll post an update when I know more.

Brian

12 to 14 weeks after the release of the book is when they were supposed to be done. Book was released September 10th.

That puts initial release date at Mid December at the latest.

13 weeks after they were supposed to be done the order was given.

Brian James Freeman
07-05-2020, 12:14 PM

Brian

12 to 14 weeks after the release of the book is when they were supposed to be done. Book was released September 10th.

That puts initial release date at Mid December at the latest.

13 weeks after they were supposed to be done the order was given.

Yep, sometimes the slipcases do take longer than the expected 12 to 14 weeks. If the case maker has too many projects at the same time, or the materials take a while to arrive, etc.

If you’re tired of waiting, you can email Mindy at order@cemeterydance.com to cancel your order. You’re under no obligation to keep the order, and these will pop up on the secondary market, I would think.

Brian

kingfan2323
07-05-2020, 02:10 PM
Solution driven ideas would be great.

The slipcases not being done on time had nothing to do with Covid. So if the vendor that CD has chosen cannot complete a project in the close to 7 months before covid hit what can be done to prevent that in the future?

Regarding a refund: CD's default customer service solution when called out on something seems to be a refund. A horrible idea since the consumer and business both miss out, the customer is angry, and nothing is solved.

We have all dealt with, or worked for, companies that only use a refund as a last resort but instead do things to make sure the customer is happy and spreads the word about their positive experience. What are a few things CD could do?

Brian James Freeman
07-05-2020, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I’m going to keep this short because we’re visiting family today.

Regarding a refund: CD's default customer service solution when called out on something seems to be a refund. A horrible idea since the consumer and business both miss out, the customer is angry, and nothing is solved.

If we don’t offer refunds, then people say we’ve taken their money and won’t give it back. Hence why we offer refunds.

We are always happy to talk to new slipcase makers who can handle these jobs. If you know of any, please send them our way. We have more work than our current vendor can handle, that’s for sure!

Brian

PS I think we will have to agree to disagree about companies that make it really hard to get a refund. If someone wants their money back, they shouldn’t have to jump through hoops. That is not a positive experience.

kingfan2323
07-05-2020, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I’m going to keep this short because we’re visiting family today.

If we don’t offer refunds, then people say we’ve taken their money and won’t give it back. Hence why we offer refunds.

We are always happy to talk to new slipcase makers who can handle these jobs. If you know of any, please send them our way. We have more work than our current vendor can handle, that’s for sure!

Brian

PS I think we will have to agree to disagree about companies that make it really hard to get a refund. If someone wants their money back, they shouldn’t have to jump through hoops. That is not a positive experience.

Of course do money back when/if they want it. What else can a company do to make the customer happy if they do not reach release dates and are months or years late?

Randall Flagg
07-05-2020, 05:03 PM
I believe that Brian and all of the folks he supervises, as well as the vendors he has projects with are doing the best they can. That includes pre-Covid-19, and certainly now during this crisis.

BJF doesn't own CD, and thus has to work within the constraints presented to him. Any of us can ask for and receive a refund, but perhaps Brian, Dan, Mindy, and others need their job.

People should hang in there, and still provide constructive feedback (positive or negative).

Brian James Freeman
07-05-2020, 05:19 PM

Okay, back home on the computer, which makes responding a lot easier! You guys know I wander off into "inside baseball" territory easily, so for those who don't care about the nuts and bolts of this stuff, this is a good time to read another thread. :panic:

As I mentioned above, I'm always looking for possible case vendors. They're harder to find than you'd expect because of the size of our orders. Small shops cannot make this many cases. Some of the larger companies that can handle this size order are accustomed to dealing with other industries like expensive wines and jewelry, and they charge accordingly. The materials don't cost them more than the materials cost our current vendor, but there's a huge mark up on the labor, so our retail prices would need to go WAY up.

Real world example: one company I've spoken with is accustomed jobs like making 100 special boxes for the NFL for a Super Bowl special VIP package, and charging $800 per unit, which is nothing to the NFL... But his quote was $85 per unit for the aftermarket SK slipcases, with the exact same specs as our current vendor... And I'm not sure we'd sell many of those! :emot-roflolmao:

Here are the most recent options I presented to Richard, re: slipcase production.

1A) There is a small press that gets most of their cases made in China. Production takes approximately 12 weeks. Transit time varies as they cannot afford a full cargo container all on their own, so their cases are shipped through a service that essentially puts other company's shipments together to fill a container. But they WOULD be done faster than many projects with our current case maker. Production costs are approximately the same as we pay now, so the retail price would stay the same... but this press recommended we increase our order by 20% because that's the percentage of units they have to toss for quality control reasons.

1B) We aren't opposed to using vendors outside the USA, but we've mostly kept our spending inside the country whenever possible because we like supporting US jobs. That said, we DID try a Chinese company for traycases maybe 10 years ago. (Actually, a local business person who had contacts in China's manufacturing plants came to us with the idea.) The time frame was longer than expected, the cases didn't quite fit right, and they SMELLED AWFUL due to the chemicals in the glue. This experience soured us on the idea of trying China again, but we know that one experience with one company is hardly representative of all of the manufacturing plants in a country!

2A) There is another case maker we do use, but the retail cost for these SK aftermarket slipcases -- if our order was for the same number of units -- would need to go up to $34 because of his increased production costs. If our order goes down due to fewer sales, the price would have to go up to compensate. We pegged the ideal retail price at $40 based on surveys we did the other year -- to make up for the lost sales and increased costs.

2B) Our current aftermarket SK slipcase order is larger than the print runs for MOST of our books. If most of those customers said they'd happily pay $34 or $35 to get the cases faster, this is DEFINITELY an option. But we'd hate to lose 500 (or whatever) orders and then have to double the retail price. AND anger so many customers by raising the price, losing their business, etc.

2C) There's definitely a line of thought that if we could pump these out in 6 weeks, maybe we'd sell a lot more. That sounds good on paper, but we've sold A LOT of Stephen King related books, cases, etc, over the years, and we have a REALLY good feel for the marketplace, so we're pretty sure we've reached MOST of the people who will pay money for an add-on slipcase for their book. Any changes cannot be based on the idea that there's some huge untapped customer base that would jump on board if these came out faster. There probably isn't.

3) We could send the work to our one man shop. He would take approximately 5 months to do the entire job, but as you noted above, that would be faster than some of the cases have taken. It would also mean he would have to stop work on our traycases. He has produced traycases for more than 75 overdue projects over the last 30 months, which is why we're finally within 10 or so projects of being caught up on the Lettered Editions. (Which are WAY overdue, totally our fault, and we'll apologize again here for good measure. Those cases are WAY too late, and everyone who has stuck it out is absolutely awesome for doing so.)

4) We could stop producing the aftermarket slipcases, which would help solve some other case related delays for other projects. It would mean NOT selling a product to 2000 customers who have come to really support that line of products, though, and we'd have to figure out if some of the other projects getting done a little faster would justify angering those customers -- and losing the revenue, which would need made up somewhere else (higher prices?).

I probably have more thoughts, but I'm late getting the kids to bed, so I'll sign off with this for now. Thanks!

Brian

Roseannebarr
07-05-2020, 08:23 PM

Okay, back home on the computer, which makes responding a lot easier! You guys know I wander off into "inside baseball" territory easily, so for those who don't care about the nuts and bolts of this stuff, this is a good time to read another thread. :panic:

As I mentioned above, I'm always looking for possible case vendors. They're harder to find than you'd expect because of the size of our orders. Small shops cannot make this many cases. Some of the larger companies that can handle this size order are accustomed to dealing with other industries like expensive wines and jewelry, and they charge accordingly. The materials don't cost them more than the materials cost our current vendor, but there's a huge mark up on the labor, so our retail prices would need to go WAY up.

Real world example: one company I've spoken with is accustomed jobs like making 100 special boxes for the NFL for a Super Bowl special VIP package, and charging $800 per unit, which is nothing to the NFL... But his quote was $85 per unit for the aftermarket SK slipcases, with the exact same specs as our current vendor... And I'm not sure we'd sell many of those! :emot-roflolmao:

Here are the most recent options I presented to Richard, re: slipcase production.

1A) There is a small press that gets most of their cases made in China. Production takes approximately 12 weeks. Transit time varies as they cannot afford a full cargo container all on their own, so their cases are shipped through a service that essentially puts other company's shipments together to fill a container. But they WOULD be done faster than many projects with our current case maker. Production costs are approximately the same as we pay now, so the retail price would stay the same... but this press recommended we increase our order by 20% because that's the percentage of units they have to toss for quality control reasons.

1B) We aren't opposed to using vendors outside the USA, but we've mostly kept our spending inside the country whenever possible because we like supporting US jobs. That said, we DID try a Chinese company for traycases maybe 10 years ago. (Actually, a local business person who had contacts in China's manufacturing plants came to us with the idea.) The time frame was longer than expected, the cases didn't quite fit right, and they SMELLED AWFUL due to the chemicals in the glue. This experience soured us on the idea of trying China again, but we know that one experience with one company is hardly representative of all of the manufacturing plants in a country!

2A) There is another case maker we do use, but the retail cost for these SK aftermarket slipcases -- if our order was for the same number of units -- would need to go up to $34 because of his increased production costs. If our order goes down due to fewer sales, the price would have to go up to compensate. We pegged the ideal retail price at $40 based on surveys we did the other year -- to make up for the lost sales and increased costs.

2B) Our current aftermarket SK slipcase order is larger than the print runs for MOST of our books. If most of those customers said they'd happily pay $34 or $35 to get the cases faster, this is DEFINITELY an option. But we'd hate to lose 500 (or whatever) orders and then have to double the retail price. AND anger so many customers by raising the price, losing their business, etc.

2C) There's definitely a line of thought that if we could pump these out in 6 weeks, maybe we'd sell a lot more. That sounds good on paper, but we've sold A LOT of Stephen King related books, cases, etc, over the years, and we have a REALLY good feel for the marketplace, so we're pretty sure we've reached MOST of the people who will pay money for an add-on slipcase for their book. Any changes cannot be based on the idea that there's some huge untapped customer base that would jump on board if these came out faster. There probably isn't.

3) We could send the work to our one man shop. He would take approximately 5 months to do the entire job, but as you noted above, that would be faster than some of the cases have taken. It would also mean he would have to stop work on our traycases. He has produced traycases for more than 75 overdue projects over the last 30 months, which is why we're finally within 10 or so projects of being caught up on the Lettered Editions. (Which are WAY overdue, totally our fault, and we'll apologize again here for good measure. Those cases are WAY too late, and everyone who has stuck it out is absolutely awesome for doing so.)

4) We could stop producing the aftermarket slipcases, which would help solve some other case related delays for other projects. It would mean NOT selling a product to 2000 customers who have come to really support that line of products, though, and we'd have to figure out if some of the other projects getting done a little faster would justify angering those customers -- and losing the revenue, which would need made up somewhere else (higher prices?).

I probably have more thoughts, but I'm late getting the kids to bed, so I'll sign off with this for now. Thanks!

Brian

I am hesitant to pay more than the $29.95. I don’t want smelly slipcases. King is 72. I say we get 5-7 more books from him. I say leave it as is and light a fire under that slipcase makers arse!

Roseannebarr
07-05-2020, 08:25 PM

Brian

I am hesitant to pay more than the $29.95. I don’t want smelly slipcases. King is 72. I say we get 5-7 more books from him. I say leave it as is and light a fire under that slipcase makers arse!

Leave option 3 off the table!!!! I really want my lettered Fright or Flight!

Brian861
07-05-2020, 08:49 PM
The slipcases are well worth the wait.

kingfan2323
07-05-2020, 09:40 PM

BrianI understand the slipcase issue but:

Of course do money back when/if they want it. What else can a company do to make the customer happy if they do not reach release dates and are months or years late?

I have not seen anything. Some smart people there.

I realize most signs of goodwill, showing appreciation, and humility on the companies shortcomings cost money but probably a small price to pay considering disapointed/irate customers that become hesitantor refuse to order at all.

Any ideas?

Gid
07-06-2020, 04:11 AM
Here’s some of my ideas for things that could be done to make it up to customers

-A free limited edition bookmark and balloon

-Free ebook downloads

-A hand written apology, perhaps including pictures

-Discount on future purchase

-Ability to buy previous slipcases you missed

-Raffle entry for new Mercedes

-Release an exclusive animated video of workers creating slipcases being whipped to go faster

Roseannebarr
07-06-2020, 06:32 AM
Here’s some of my ideas for things that could be done to make it up to customers

-Free ebook downloads

-Release an exclusive animated video of workers creating slipcases being whipped to go faster

A free signed limited Stephen King Book!

Richard should follow the model of lettered press. No payment until publication!

I am only worried about Lettered Fright or Flight!

kingfan2323
07-06-2020, 07:24 AM

-Free ebook downloads

Some really great affordable ideas. Instead of a luxury car how about sending a couple raffle tix to customers for a King Book giveaway?

Discount on future purchase sounds like an obvious good idea.

Bookmark is thoughtful and affordable.

amd013
07-06-2020, 07:36 AM

-Free ebook downloads

A free signed limited Stephen King Book!

Richard should follow the model of lettered press. No payment until publication!

I am only worried about Lettered Fright or Flight!

Speaking of slipcases and Fright or Flight!, are you able to get the slipcase/traycases made while you wait for that last signature?

herbertwest
07-06-2020, 08:18 AM

-Free ebook downloads

Some really great affordable ideas. Instead of a luxury car how about sending a couple raffle tix to customers for a King Book giveaway?

Richard often organises free giveaways on his social media.
I am not one of those customers, but maybe he could organises contests within the customers that have waited a long time?

Brian James Freeman
07-06-2020, 08:18 AM
Speaking of slipcases and Fright or Flight!, are you able to get the slipcase/traycases made while you wait for that last signature?

A great question! A big part of the answer, from a production and business standpoint, are two other questions:

1) how concerned are you if the cases are too loose or too tight?

We can absolutely get the estimated sizing for the book now (the page count isn't changing at this point!), and we could put these cases in line with the case maker. As long as nothing changes in production, there's a fairly good chance the cases will fit okay. We've never used the estimated sizing to "finish" cases since it CAN be wrong. Sometimes the bulk of the book ends up being a little different than expected for whatever reason.

In addition, say the paper stock we want to use is unavailable when we send the book to the printer. The replacement stock will almost certainly add up to a slightly different bulk size. This could mean the books are flopping out of the case OR you have to really shove the book into the case.

We DO use the estimated sizing sometimes to get the "approval case" made -- which is the first case they make to confirm the sizing fits. Then, when the books arrive, we can pop one in and see if it fits. 30% of the time, give or take, we then send the actual book to the case maker for the cases to be adjusted slightly, and they make a new approval case.

2) If you're waiting on something else that will be done before Flight or Fright, would you be okay if the book you're waiting on is delayed because the Flight or Fright case is being made even though those books are not done yet? Or would you want the case for the finished book to be produced first?

There usually isn't any "down time" in our case production schedule to send something early. It will be bumping into something else.

Brian

jeffingoff
07-07-2020, 08:00 AM
A King signature in every book that includes his work (novel, anthology, whatever) if the wait has been longer than 4 years. That gets me a King signature in Turn Down the Lights (artist edition) and Night Shift and then Shivers 8 (lettered edition) if that's not published by September.

amd013
07-07-2020, 08:05 AM
Hi Brian, was wondering if CD was selling any Suntup 1984 Gift editions. I see you are selling them on LP. I am still on the fence about buying one, but if I do figured it would be best if from CD since I have a big store credit there.

Also any updates on Night Shift portfolio? I am hoping it can ship soon after or with the books.

DanHocker
07-07-2020, 08:46 AM
Hi Brian, was wondering if CD was selling any Suntup 1984 Gift editions. I see you are selling them on LP. I am still on the fence about buying one, but if I do figured it would be best if from CD since I have a big store credit there.

Also any updates on Night Shift portfolio? I am hoping it can ship soon after or with the books.

As nice as it would be to be able to ship them with the books, we'll need to wait at least a month after the books ship to ship the portfolios. Our system can't combine orders, so we need to wait for people to have their books in hand, so that way if there's any number requesting conflict we can contact the customers to verify their numbers for matching portfolios.

Dolan
07-07-2020, 08:49 AM
I believe that Brian and all of the folks he supervises, as well as the vendors he has projects with are doing the best they can. That includes pre-Covid-19, and certainly now during this crisis.

BJF doesn't own CD, and thus has to work within the constraints presented to him. Any of us can ask for and receive a refund, but perhaps Brian, Dan, Mindy, and others need their job.

People should hang in there, and still provide constructive feedback (positive or negative).

I second this. Dan at CD has been very helpful to any of my needs. I know delays can be frustrating but as a business owner myself, I know it can be just as frustrating on CD's end as well.

Brian James Freeman
07-07-2020, 08:57 AM
Hi Brian, was wondering if CD was selling any Suntup 1984 Gift editions. I see you are selling them on LP. I am still on the fence about buying one, but if I do figured it would be best if from CD since I have a big store credit there..

CD won't be getting any copies of 1984, unfortunately. Paul's definitely going all out on these editions. I cannot wait to see the book in person!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
07-07-2020, 08:58 AM

As nice as it would be to be able to ship them with the books, we'll need to wait at least a month after the books ship to ship the portfolios. Our system can't combine orders, so we need to wait for people to have their books in hand, so that way if there's any number requesting conflict we can contact the customers to verify their numbers for matching portfolios.

To add to Dan's thought, the plan IS to ship them about 4 to 6 weeks after the books are done shipping. We have everything ready to be printed and produced.

Brian

amd013
07-07-2020, 10:24 AM

To add to Dan's thought, the plan IS to ship them about 4 to 6 weeks after the books are done shipping. We have everything ready to be printed and produced.

Brian

Cool beans!

kingfan2323
07-07-2020, 09:03 PM

-Free ebook downloads

seeking: anything DT related #246No suggestions from CD?

Saw a lot of production details on slipcases but what about alternatives to just telling customers they can get a refund?

No ideas for creative ways to reach out to customers that have been waiting for books for years so some customers, that stopped, may want to start ordering CD books again?

Brian James Freeman
07-08-2020, 06:11 AM
Saw a lot of production details on slipcases but what about alternatives to just telling customers they can get a refund?

No ideas for creative ways to reach out to customers that have been waiting for books for years so some customers, that stopped, may want to start ordering CD books again?

Although I welcome any feedback and suggestions ("free luxury car for each customer" probably won't make the cut, sorry to say), I also won't be continuing this line of brainstorming in public. Anything I post will get misconstrued as something we ARE doing, or something we "have to do," and since I don't have final say over what we actually do, it wouldn't be appropriate to give the impression that something is definite.

But please do feel free to post or email me your suggestions and ideas. Always welcomed, and passed along when appropriate!

Brian

kingfan2323
07-08-2020, 07:05 AM

Although I welcome any feedback and suggestions ("free luxury car for each customer" probably won't make the cut, sorry to say), I also won't be continuing this line of brainstorming in public. Anything I post will get misconstrued as something we ARE doing, or something we "have to do," and since I don't have final say over what we actually do, it wouldn't be appropriate to give the impression that something is definite.

But please do feel free to post or email me your suggestions and ideas. Always welcomed, and passed along when appropriate!

BrianObviously the car was a joke so not sure your focus went there. The issues are clear and spelled out. Good list of little things CD can do about it. So when anyone from CD says "there is nothing we can do about" or "we are doing what we can" customers/former customers can remember this list falling on apparent deaf ears.

$206250 + shipping fees was collected by CD for Night Shift deluxe. How about a CD or SK coffee cup (cost= $8) or hat (about the same cost) with an apology letter to each that ordered or something from the great suggestions? So things can definitely be done.

Just like when CD's shipping debacle during the holidays was going on. There is nothing we can do we are short handed. Minimum wage is $11 dollars there (less before Jan. 1st). On call/part timers seems like a smart move. So definataly something can be done.

Brian James Freeman
07-08-2020, 07:22 AM
So when anyone from CD says "there is nothing we can do about" or "we are doing what we can" customers/former customers can remember this list falling on apparent deaf ears.

You seem to want me to publicly commit to doing something I cannot commit to doing. I cannot say "everyone gets a coffee cup!" because I cannot make that happen just because I say it in a post on a message board. So, I guess I'm not understanding what you want me to do.

Brian

Lurker
07-08-2020, 07:59 AM
Geeez. No rush from me. And I sure don't want a mug - I just gave Goodwill about 50 of those taking up space things.

But I did get Red Church - I really like these. Is there still going to be 10 in the set?

jeffingoff
07-08-2020, 08:35 AM
Geeez. No rush from me. And I sure don't want a mug - I just gave Goodwill about 50 of those taking up space things.

But I did get Red Church - I really like these. Is there still going to be 10 in the set?

I think there will be a lot more than 10. I think there will be more than 10 Graveyard Editions just from Bentley Little. Dan said they'll announce the next one soon.

And I agree--these are very cool productions from CD.

Also, while I don't need a mug, I will happily take a free mug. Not that I'm asking. I'm just not refusing. So don't not send me one if you're sending mugs out in response to complaints now. Not that I'm complaining. I'm not in any rush. I actually like that I have preorders out there. So when my money runs out, the books will still continue to rain on my porch. As I starve.

andyg75
07-08-2020, 08:46 AM

BrianObviously the car was a joke so not sure your focus went there. The issues are clear and spelled out. Good list of little things CD can do about it. So when anyone from CD says "there is nothing we can do about" or "we are doing what we can" customers/former customers can remember this list falling on apparent deaf ears.

$206250 + shipping fees was collected by CD for Night Shift deluxe. How about a CD or SK coffee cup (cost= $8) or hat (about the same cost) with an apology letter to each that ordered or something from the great suggestions? So things can definitely be done.

Just like when CD's shipping debacle during the holidays was going on. There is nothing we can do we are short handed. Minimum wage is $11 dollars there (less before Jan. 1st). On call/part timers seems like a smart move. So definataly something can be done.

I’ve been following this thread and my conclusion is this:

Jeez, give it a rest! You’re like a dog with a bone! Like all small businesses, CD are doing what they can. Would it suit you better if they shut their doors, accepted defeat, took each employee out the back and shot them?

From what I can gather, whatever they say or do simply will not be good enough for you. Let it go!!

kingfan2323
07-08-2020, 08:47 AM

I’ve been following this thread and my conclusion is this:

Jeez, give it a rest! You’re like a dog with a bone! Like all small businesses, CD are doing what they can. Would it suit you better if they shut their doors, accepted defeat, took each employee out the back and shot them?

From what I can gather, whatever they say or do simply will not be good enough for you. Let it go!!Nope. Just do the little things. Stop acting like nothing can be done by CD..

DanHocker
07-08-2020, 08:58 AM

I think there will be a lot more than 10. I think there will be more than 10 Graveyard Editions just from Bentley Little. Dan said they'll announce the next one soon.

And I agree--these are very cool productions from CD.

Also, while I don't need a mug, I will happily take a free mug. Not that I'm asking. I'm just not refusing. So don't not send me one if you're sending mugs out in response to complaints now. Not that I'm complaining. I'm not in any rush. I actually like that I have preorders out there. So when my money runs out, the books will still continue to rain on my porch. As I starve.

Definitely more than 10.

Lurker
07-08-2020, 09:15 AM
jeffingoff

Now I want to send you a mug...a Bentley Little mug.

DanHocker
Definitely more than 10.

Thanks

Hunchback Jack
07-08-2020, 03:05 PM

If you're both not asking for and not refusing a mug, does that mean you want half a mug?

HBJ

MLG
07-08-2020, 04:28 PM

If you're both not asking for and not refusing a mug, does that mean you want half a mug?

HBJ

He really wants a "Little" mug.

burgerhicks80
07-08-2020, 04:39 PM
jeffingoff

LMFAO!

St. Troy
07-09-2020, 05:20 AM

HBJ

I think it's more of a Schrodinger's Mug situation.

jeffingoff
07-09-2020, 05:28 AM
Looks like my nonsense resulted in people considering the solution to be a Bentley Little mug. Just like nonsense leads to Bentley Little books.

I'd imagine a Bentley Little mug would be exactly like a regular mug, only it would have no bottom. Set upon a table next to a regular mug, it would appear the same but it would hold nothing. Same as a Bentley Little book next to a regular book.

hahahaha I am such an asshole! Really if I ever met Bentley Little I would apologize for my campaign against him. Though I'm not sure he'd understand me because I don't speak gibberish.

Hunchback Jack
07-09-2020, 06:41 AM

HBJ

I think it's more of a Schrodinger's Mug situation.

Brilliant. +1.

MLG
07-09-2020, 08:15 AM
Looks like my nonsense resulted in people considering the solution to be a Bentley Little mug. Just like nonsense leads to Bentley Little books.

I'd imagine a Bentley Little mug would be exactly like a regular mug, only it would have no bottom. Set upon a table next to a regular mug, it would appear the same but it would hold nothing. Same as a Bentley Little book next to a regular book.

hahahaha I am such an asshole! Really if I ever met Bentley Little I would apologize for my campaign against him. Though I'm not sure he'd understand me because I don't speak gibberish.

I have seen your videos. You speak gibberish fluently!

Randall Flagg
07-09-2020, 08:16 AM
hahahaha I am such an asshole!

Agreed. But I like you anyway.

jeffingoff
07-09-2020, 08:21 AM
I have seen your videos. You speak gibberish fluently!

This is true and undeniable and the reason I'll never run for office. Not that speaking gibberish is a disqualifier anymore.

Agreed. But I like you anyway.

I'm an antihero. Also an anti-villain. So basically like an impotent Little character.

lotuz
07-09-2020, 08:58 AM

I'm kind of ambivalent about Little but I have maxed out the rep I can give you due to previous Little burns :emot-flame:

Aremag
07-09-2020, 09:14 AM
I can't wait for the next Jeffley Little book...The Unboxing.

Garrell
07-09-2020, 10:18 AM
Yes, Jeffingoff=BL!

jeffingoff
07-09-2020, 10:44 AM
Yes, Jeffingoff=BL!

All right I have to say something to this: no one should slander Bentley Little this way. He at least accomplished something with his life. Even if that something is selling books full of nothing it’s still more than I’ve done. So Bentley does not deserve this and I won’t stand for it.

Brian James Freeman
07-09-2020, 05:37 PM
Final approval copy arrived today, which means they should be finished by the end of the month, so I would expect these to ship in August:

https://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/X_CASES054photo02_540x405.jpg

Brian

Hunchback Jack
07-09-2020, 05:56 PM
Final approval copy arrived today, which means they should be finished by the end of the month, so I would expect these to ship in August:

https://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/X_CASES054photo02_540x405.jpg

Brian

Ooh, that looks great. How is the impression of the rail car done? Is it a matte black silhouette on a shiny case cover material?

GenericEric
07-09-2020, 06:28 PM
God damn porn bots

Splync
07-09-2020, 06:29 PM
Do you see what has happened, Brian?? You did not offer the free mugs to the powers that be and they have exerted their wrath in the form of endless sex video spam!

This will make significantly less sense when the spambot has been cleaned up, but daaaamn!

Splync
07-09-2020, 06:34 PM
Had the spam bot struck on the CD forums instead of here, it would have been a great opportunity for Dan to make a CDCC t-shirt that said:
"I joined the Cemetery Dance Collector's Club and Got 10,000 Links to Porn!"

Ari_Racing
07-09-2020, 06:43 PM
Since this bot posted more than 50 posts, I can't block him. It must be done through the Admin Panel. We need Jerome.

Ari_Racing
07-09-2020, 06:45 PM
CLosed for some minutes to see if it stops.

Ari_Racing
07-09-2020, 06:48 PM
Let's see.

Kongo
07-09-2020, 07:37 PM
Goodbye porno bot. Rest easy sweet prince :rose:

Brian James Freeman
07-09-2020, 07:40 PM
Ooh, that looks great. How is the impression of the rail car done? Is it a matte black silhouette on a shiny case cover material?

It's actually a very dark blue on the black covering material. Black on black didn't register well visually, so we took a small step toward the blue side of things. And I'm having trouble getting a good photo because good photos aren't my speciality! :panic:

Brian

Brian James Freeman
07-09-2020, 07:40 PM
Do you see what has happened, Brian?? You did not offer the free mugs to the powers that be and they have exerted their wrath in the form of endless sex video spam!

This will make significantly less sense when the spambot has been cleaned up, but daaaamn!

I showed up late to the party, unfortunately! :emot-roflolmao: