PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90

cgallagh44
04-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Disappointed to find out these are not signed by Stephen King...and not crazy about the final price tag when all is said and done. However, I love the quality of the CD books so, I bought the Gift and Artist Editions.

...plus, I didn't want to risk potentially getting locked out of future releases/benefits 'cause I didn't buy this one-like some publishers do.

-Let the Financial Pain Begin (Thank You Sir, may I have another)

skyofcrack
04-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Brian,

Not sure if you've thought this far ahead yet but...will Night Shift have one Artist or multiple Artists and will each story get some art (pencil drawings, etc...) as well as the selected stories that get the full color art?

Hoping for Wrightson, Dameron and Whelan from DT.

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Brian,

Not sure if you've thought this far ahead yet but...will Night Shift have one Artist or multiple Artists and will each story get some art (pencil drawings, etc...) as well as the selected stories that get the full color art?

We're talking about one artist for the color artwork and another for a B&W piece for each story.

Brian

subie09lega
04-07-2014, 08:45 AM
I think it would be cool to have multiple artists work on The Stand like was done with The Talisman.

Ari_Racing
04-07-2014, 08:54 AM
I guess I'm a minority here, but I think that six gift editions of those six books is really cool!

Besides, FINALLY Tomislav will be the illustrator! The only complain I have is that the illustrations won't be color ones.

They're all color.

Oh, then it's perfect! I understood it incorrectly then (I read two-color printing). :D

Awesome!

jonahwriter
04-07-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm sure these will be beautiful books. Unfortunately I will have to pass - not because they won't be signed, but due to the shipping costs to me in Europe. Two options available on CD site: $42.94 or $51.44 - per book, which is more than half the price of the Gift Edition. So if I ordered all 6 books, shipping alone would be $300+, which is too much. If there was an option to bulk buy all 6 and save on combined international shipping, I'd be game.

Ari_Racing
04-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Who would spend $1,000 on a Stephen King book not signed by Stephen King?

52 sold in 47 minutes...

If the lettered was for 104 copies, it'd be sold out in 2 hs.

e_taylor
04-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Sorry if this has been covered already, but will the limitation for the three editions be the same for all six books?

webstar1000
04-07-2014, 09:02 AM

52 sold in 47 minutes...

I am a little surprised.... a King sig is a MUST for me...

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Sorry if this has been covered already, but will the limitation for the three editions be the same for all six books?

Yes, that is the goal. Thanks for asking!

Brian

ICry4Oy
04-07-2014, 09:03 AM

52 sold in 47 minutes...

I am a little surprised.... a King sig is a MUST for me...

I'm not surprised, I'm shocked! Some people just have too much damned money.......lucky fuckers :(

Ari_Racing
I hope this does well for CD but it's just not very exciting when you already have another small press publisher doing the same book

Yes, that is an understandable position. Hopefully, because they will be very different editions with different special features and different art, we'll both be offering something of interest to collectors. But we certainly understand if you only want one.

We think this complete set, when you see all 6 books on the shelf, will be a very nice addition to most collections.

Also, we have some amazing artists lined up for these books. Three of them we've never worked with on a book, I believe. Those who enjoyed the artwork for certain Donald Grant SK books will be pleased.

Brian

I think it's going to be Stephen Gervais for The Shining. :)

Brian James Freeman

52 sold in 47 minutes...

Did you know some publishers do produce lettered editions of 104 copies?

Brian

ICry4Oy
04-07-2014, 09:04 AM

52 sold in 47 minutes...

Brian

:confused: .....like.....AA, BB, etc...?

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 09:07 AM
I'm sure these will be beautiful books. Unfortunately I will have to pass - not because they won't be signed, but due to the shipping costs to me in Europe. Two options available on CD site: $42.94 or $51.44 - per book, which is more than half the price of the Gift Edition. So if I ordered all 6 books, shipping alone would be $300+, which is too much. If there was an option to bulk buy all 6 and save on combined international shipping, I'd be game.

We can't hold orders for all of the books to ship in 2016, unfortunately. The logistics are just unmanageable. We charge what the Post Office charges us for the postage, but try PS Publishing's website for more "local" rates when they list the book this week! I'd think their postage costs to you should be much better!

Brian

skyofcrack
04-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Brian,

We're talking about one artist for the color artwork and another for a B&W piece for each story.

Brian

Thanks. That's very cool that every story is represented with some art. :thumbsup:

BTW, on a shipping note, should the Gift and Artist Editions be ordered separately or will they be coming out at basically the same time and can ship together? I know the Lettereds are usually delayed.

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 09:08 AM

52 sold in 47 minutes...

Brian

You could have copy ZZZZ if you wanted! We've seen some of the mystery small presses do that.

Brian

Ari_Racing
04-07-2014, 09:09 AM

52 sold in 47 minutes...

Brian

:scared:

You learn something new every day! :)

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 09:11 AM
BTW, on a shipping note, should the Gift and Artist Editions be ordered separately or will they be coming out at basically the same time and can ship together? I know the Lettereds are usually delayed.

The Gift Edition and Numbered Artist Edition will ship at the same time. Production will begin at the same time as those for the Lettered Artist Edition's traycase, but it's going to take longer because the Lettered Edition books have to bound by hand and I don't trust the sizing on a "dummy book" to get the perfect fit for this sort of edition. With the hand-binding and the spine hubs, etc, we really need a finished copy of the book to get the sizing just right!

Brian

P.S. A "dummy book" is a blank book produced by the printer ahead of time using the same materials and page count as the "real" book so we can get sizing for cases. 98% of the time, the fit is perfect. But sometimes...

Joe315
04-07-2014, 09:11 AM

52 sold in 47 minutes...

Brian

That'd be AAA, BBB, ETC. I know of one publisher that would do 156 lettered copies so A to ZZZZZZ.

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 09:12 AM
I guess I'm a minority here, but I think that six gift editions of those six books is really cool!

Besides, FINALLY Tomislav will be the illustrator! The only complain I have is that the illustrations won't be color ones.

They're all color.

Oh, then it's perfect! I understood it incorrectly then (I read two-color printing). :D

Awesome!

Sorry, there's a lot of references to color elements on that page. The printing inside the book will be two-color. So the headers and footers, etc, will be something other than boring old black, just like our other SK Gift Editions, etc.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 09:13 AM

Well, I'm a little bit tired... I read that as Ricky Gervais.

Brian

swintek
04-07-2014, 09:14 AM

Brian

I think it would be cool to have multiple artists work on The Stand like was done with The Talisman.

While it might be fine to have multiple artists for a short story collection, I'd like to put in my vote for a single artist for any of the novels (Including cover). I'd say that one of the only negatives I've seen in some of these gift edtions (PS included) is the art by committee- which is rarely successful, IMO. It's like trying to please everybody. Get a great artist and let him or her do their thing and let the chips fall where they may.

Ron

Ari_Racing
04-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Ok. I'm REALLY excited about these six new books for several reasons:

1) Some months ago I mentioned I'd like to have other artists to work in SK limited editions and one of my choices was already chosen for this first book.

2) Most of us really LOVE the rare stuff. Deleted scenes, original reproductions, etc. If you mention "The Shining will have extra stuff", we all think of Before the Play and After the Play.

3) You mentioned "artists that didn't work on a book". My other guess now is Glen Orbik, who did the incredible cover artwork for IT 25th anniversary and Joyland.

4) As for the artists that worked with Grant Books...well, there's only one of the Dark Tower books I didn't quite like the artwork and it was Bernie Wrightson. No matter which other artist you choose, for me it'd be great (but I bet it's Stephen Gervais and that he'll illustrate The Shining).

Brian, are all the artists for the different books already tied with the different projects or one of the books is still under negotiations?

skyofcrack
04-07-2014, 09:16 AM

The Gift Edition and Numbered Artist Edition will ship at the same time. Production will begin at the same time as those for the Lettered Artist Edition's traycase, but it's going to take longer because the Lettered Edition books have to bound by hand and I don't trust the sizing on a "dummy book" to get the perfect fit for this sort of edition. With the hand-binding and the spine hubs, etc, we really need a finished copy of the book to get the sizing just right!

Brian

P.S. A "dummy book" is a blank book produced by the printer ahead of time using the same materials and page count as the "real" book so we can get sizing for cases. 98% of the time, the fit is perfect. But sometimes...

That's what I needed to hear. I just didn't want one of the books to have to wait for the other to ship. :D

Ari_Racing
04-07-2014, 09:17 AM

Well, I'm a little bit tired... I read that as Ricky Gervais.

Brian

LOL! I love Ricky, so no complains from my side there, even when I think that as an illustrator he's a great actor... :P

skyofcrack
04-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Brian, are all the artists already signed on for all the books or do we still have some influence?

Comrade Alex
04-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Brian

Congratulations with really cool project! Are you considering Art Portfolio covering all 6 volumes as volume #7?

Alex

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Brian, are all the artists already signed on for all the books or do we still have some influence?

Several books have artists in place and already working, but I would love to hear ideas! It'll be nice to find out in advance if the collectors here will be pleased with the artist we picked or if you pick the person we picked!

Brian

CyberGhostface
04-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Any idea if The Shining will have 'Before the Play'?

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 09:36 AM

I can't discuss anything specifically at the moment, other than to say the full version of "Before the Play" is going to show up somewhere eventually... Sorry to be vague. I didn't want to not answer your question, but I also honestly can't say more.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Brian

Congratulations with really cool project! Are you considering Art Portfolio covering all 6 volumes as volume #7?

Alex

We're definitely talking about a lot of ideas with the art. Because we've never really worked with some of the artists or their agents before, we have to feel things out a bit and figure out what makes the most sense for everyone.

Brian

Scoogs
04-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Overall I do like the idea, I like artist editions and I know the quality of these will be better than the PS editions, but the duplication bothers me.
UK and US makes sense for the trade editions from the big guys, but I don't distinguish between the two when it comes to small press publishers. There just aren't enough of them around that are publishing King's work to justify two of them publishing several of the same books at the same time.

I'll hold out for Salem's Lot because it's a favorite and maybe The Stand, but other wise I think I'll put my money to better use.

CyberGhostface
04-07-2014, 09:45 AM
That's fine. I appreciate you spacing them out six months apart btw, makes it easier to prepare.

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 09:46 AM
In other news, the Artist Edition of TURN DOWN THE LIGHTS just sold out. The new signature sheets have been signed by 5 of the artists and the rest are ready, willing, and able to sign as soon as the sheets reach them. We'll keep you posted!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 09:48 AM
The Carrie Lettered Edition sold out in 47 minutes, the Numbered Artist Edition is now 50% sold out, and we've sold more than 1000 copies of the Gift Edition since 11 AM this morning:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/king09.html

Brian

AKC
04-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Congrats again to CD on the success of this announcement......

I kinda' feel bad that I am not "excited" about the news as I consider myself to be a pretty hardcore King collector. Not a "completist" but certainly known to acquire quite a bit.....Guess my focus/interests have been reduced to the rare stuff and the Flatsigned/Lettered/Limited route......

The CD 6-pack is obviously being received by the collecting community in a BIG WAY nevertheless!!!! Brian, I am obviously very happy to see your continued success!

AKC

Nickelwise
04-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Ordered the gift edition, sure I wish there were a signed edition, but I'm still pretty excited about this and will likely get at least the gift edition of all 6 books. I'm pretty much all over the place when it comes to collecting King and lots of other authors, and of the 30 or so CD books I've bought both from them and second hand, I've never been disappointed.

EXPLORER
04-07-2014, 10:39 AM
I hope this does well for CD but it's just not very exciting when you already have another small press publisher doing the same book

Yes, that is an understandable position. Hopefully, because they will be very different editions with different special features and different art, we'll both be offering something of interest to collectors. But we certainly understand if you only want one.

We think this complete set, when you see all 6 books on the shelf, will be a very nice addition to most collections.

Also, we have some amazing artists lined up for these books. Three of them we've never worked with on a book, I believe. Those who enjoyed the artwork for certain Donald Grant SK books will be pleased.

Brian

I would think Don Maitz could do an interesting take on The Shining.

skyofcrack
04-07-2014, 10:46 AM

Several books have artists in place and already working, but I would love to hear ideas! It'll be nice to find out in advance if the collectors here will be pleased with the artist we picked or if you pick the person we picked!

Brian

I'd still like to see Rick Melton involved with CD and this could be an opening. Here's a sample of an SK piece for The Shining film:

http://greatbritishhorror.com/wp-content/uploads/Shining.jpg

I may be alone but I like Rick's style. Check out some of his other work here:

http://www.stunninglysavage.com/

I'm sure he can tone down the nudity for an appropriate project. :D

subie09lega
04-07-2014, 10:48 AM
And Harrison Ryan for any of them. :coo3l:

webstar1000
04-07-2014, 10:52 AM
I have not been a King collector (of the higher end stuff) for very long compared to most of the good people on this site. I have read and kept his books dear (1st edition and some knic knacs) since about 92. I got into it really deep once I got my hands on a CD produced Secretary of Dreams for a good price cause I did not have it in my collection... thus led me to get the 1st one because of the quality they put out. I take NOTHING away from the work they do. I just cannot part with hard earned money for these books. Even a complete set in the future would not interest me. I would rather take the $1200-$1500 and get a S/L... or even a signed lettered. I know these will be amazing books... and if this was King signed it would have been an AMAZING set for all of us to have in our collections. I see that this is being made more about the artists than King's work and I realize they have to since King is not signing it. I would consider a matching set, artist signed and remarqued in each book... that I think is interesting to a degree. Maybe my two cents isn't worth as much as some but how many editions of each book do we collect before it becomes silly? Myself... will be collecting what I consider of true value... I wish CD all the best and a successful run with this so in the future we can see more impressive work from them... signed by the author.. I hope:)

Joe315
04-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Myself... will be collecting what I consider of true value...

That's what you should be doing. If it doesn't do anything for you don't buy.

Cook
04-07-2014, 11:07 AM
It appears the Stephen King collecting market has just changed... immensely.

skyofcrack
04-07-2014, 11:26 AM
I have not been a King collector (of the higher end stuff) for very long compared to most of the good people on this site. I have read and kept his books dear (1st edition and some knic knacs) since about 92. I got into it really deep once I got my hands on a CD produced Secretary of Dreams for a good price cause I did not have it in my collection... thus led me to get the 1st one because of the quality they put out. I take NOTHING away from the work they do. I just cannot part with hard earned money for these books. Even a complete set in the future would not interest me. I would rather take the $1200-$1500 and get a S/L... or even a signed lettered. I know these will be amazing books... and if this was King signed it would have been an AMAZING set for all of us to have in our collections. I see that this is being made more about the artists than King's work and I realize they have to since King is not signing it. I would consider a matching set, artist signed and remarqued in each book... that I think is interesting to a degree. Maybe my two cents isn't worth as much as some but how many editions of each book do we collect before it becomes silly? Myself... will be collecting what I consider of true value... I wish CD all the best and a successful run with this so in the future we can see more impressive work from them... signed by the author.. I hope:)

I, personally have always bought the limiteds for the art and the craftsmanship of the books and not simply the signatures. You can get sigs on anything, a napkin, if you like and usually the person doing it is scribbling it on the run unless it's a a scheduled signing and then their hand is probably tired. Anyway, for me it's more about the books and the stories. I love signed limiteds but I love the gift and artist editions that CD (and others) have been doing. I understand why King doesn't want to sign these. No big deal.

Kingfan24
04-07-2014, 11:27 AM

I'm interested to know what you mean by that.

Darkday
04-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Brian, can you say whether Glenn Chadbourne is among the artists of the five remaining books? If he's not, then I might go for a set (I'm sorry, but I really don't like his style).

barlow
04-07-2014, 11:45 AM
The fucking Gators lost in the Final Four and now this. I thought I was going to have the best weekend ever! :pullhair: :mad1:

Well at least the Game of Thrones episode was off the chain! :lol:

I'm right there with you sir!

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Brian, can you say whether Glenn Chadbourne is among the artists of the five remaining books? If he's not, then I might go for a set (I'm sorry, but I really don't like his style).

Glenn might be doing interiors. He isn't on the cover list.

Brian

barlow
04-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Brian, can you tell us if The Stand will be the original or the expanded edition?

Ken

thegunslinger41
04-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Some comments. $1000 for the lettered artist edition is way too steep IMO. I would have considered at $500 perhaps. $220 is too steep for the artist signed edition when you also take into account that the print run is 750. And...although $85 is easier to digest...a print run of 3000 makes it not desirable IMO...especially when you compare it to the print run Subpress is doing for the Carrie limited (974)

Which would you rather have...a carrie 40th anniversary limited out of 974.....or one limited out of 3000???

Quite frankly, I wish the print runs for all of these 40th anniversary titles could have been kept to somewhere between 300-400.

Gabriel

stroppygoblin
04-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Some comments. $1000 for the lettered artist edition is way too steep IMO. I would have considered at $500 perhaps.
Gabriel

Market forces seem to dictate otherwise. Sold out in less than an hour.

subie09lega
04-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Some comments....
Which would you rather have...a carrie 40th anniversary limited out of 974.....or one limited out of 3000???

Quite frankly, I wish the print runs for all of these 40th anniversary titles could have been kept to somewhere between 300-400.

Gabriel

I'd rather a better quality book and higher print run than an a lower print run with lower quality. If a higher print run with better quality and a higher price means CD will stay in business then so be it.

herbertwest
04-07-2014, 12:19 PM
No wonder that this announcement is a big deal for CD.

Imagine that all the books will have the same price and print run. That makes sales of 475,750 per book.... so 2.8M of sales over time.
Congrats to Cemetery Dance for such an amazing deal that seems quite amazing if they all have extra material etc to make it different from the other editions.

I wish that I could buy every single one of them. We'll see if my financial situation changes :)

biomieg
04-07-2014, 12:25 PM
This is completely off-topic but I'm always wondering who the buyers of these lettered editions are. Don't the most prolific SK collectors in the world all hang out on TDT.org? I can hardly imagine there are OTHERS out there...

:wink1:

Cook
04-07-2014, 12:27 PM

I didn't "mean" anything and this should probably be moved to another thread.
But, if you can now sell SK books without a SK signature for 1k no problem, why would any current publisher sell a signed SK for less?
CDance just changed the market permanently. Could be good, could be bad, time will tell.
BTW.. Joyland was a total fluke, way underpriced.

stroppygoblin
04-07-2014, 12:29 PM
This is completely off-topic but I'm always wondering who the buyers of these lettered editions are. Don't the most prolific SK collectors in the world all hang out on TDT.org? I can hardly imagine there are OTHERS out there...

:wink1:

I know of at least 2 *very* prolific collectors (in the UK) that do not frequent these forums. They know of it's existence, but do not post and rarely view.

Ben Mears
04-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Brian, can you tell us if The Stand will be the original or the expanded edition?

Ken

"We've signed an exclusive deal to produce a six volume set of special collectible editions of Stephen King's early books that were originally published by Doubleday back in the 1970s and early 1980s!"

That statement from the press release would indicate the original version of The Stand.

Ben Mears
04-07-2014, 12:43 PM

Brian

I think Glenn would do 'Salem's Lot, cover and interiors, justice. He lives in the area where Jerusalem's Lot is supposed to be located and the mood & atmosphere of Glenn's work would fit the story very well. Cover, title page (possibly a map of SL), and four part opener paintings would do the trick.

skyofcrack
04-07-2014, 12:58 PM

Brian

Please God No. Make It Stop. Make The Madness STOP. Glenn, look at the flowers. Look at the pretty flowers.

barlow
04-07-2014, 01:04 PM

Ken

"We've signed an exclusive deal to produce a six volume set of special collectible editions of Stephen King's early books that were originally published by Doubleday back in the 1970s and early 1980s!"

That statement from the press release would indicate the original version of The Stand.

That is is kind of how I read it too, which makes sense with the concept of the set! Just wanted to get a confirmation.

bdwyer19
04-07-2014, 01:04 PM

Brian

Please God No. Make It Stop. Make The Madness STOP. Glenn, look at the flowers. Look at the pretty flowers.

Ha!

Lookwhoitis
04-07-2014, 01:06 PM
I love how some folks seem to disparage a particular artist's style or popularity when they (personally), most probably, couldn't draw a dog's ass farting in a snowstorm.

If you don't like something, don't buy it. No need to slander a person who makes their living creating art just because YOU dont like it. There are many folks who do (or said person wouldnt be putting food on their table doing what they do)

Dan
04-07-2014, 01:07 PM
I happen to love Chadbourn's art. I love his colored work, it's different than the pencil stuff he does.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-07-2014, 01:08 PM

Ken

That is is kind of how I read it too, which makes sense with the concept of the set! Just wanted to get a confirmation.

The description on the product page for these books states the following:

"These special editions will feature exclusive bonus features such as introductions, afterwords, artwork, and even deleted material in some cases."

After reading that, it is more likely that The Stand will be the uncut version.

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 01:09 PM

Expanded/Uncut is my understanding because that is Steve's preference, but I will ask.

Brian

T-Dogz_AK47
04-07-2014, 01:12 PM

Brian

Why so many negative comments on this board about Glenn Chadbourne? I think he is an amazing artist and I am more likely to buy a book if he is involved with the project. :wtf:

Cook
04-07-2014, 01:13 PM

Brian

I think Glenn would do 'Salem's Lot, cover and interiors, justice. He lives in the area where Jerusalem's Lot is supposed to be located and the mood & atmosphere of Glenn's work would fit the story very well. Cover, title page (possibly a map of SL), and four part opener paintings would do the trick.

I think the market is overly saturated with Glenn's work.
Brian mentioned earlier some new talent? I think that would be a welcome change.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-07-2014, 01:15 PM

Expanded/Uncut is my understanding because that is Steve's preference, but I will ask.

Brian

Awesome news, I much prefer the uncut and expanded version as the characterisation and narrative drive is much richer in that version. :excited:

Joe315

Ken

The description on the product page for these books states the following:

"These special editions will feature exclusive bonus features such as introductions, afterwords, artwork, and even deleted material in some cases."

After reading that, it is more likely that The Stand will be the uncut version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=xFGfWrJR5Ck

Brian James Freeman
Brian mentioned earlier some new talent? I think that would be a welcome change.

Four of the artists we're talking to have never done a major project for us. One is sort of "newer" to us -- we hadn't really seen his work before -- and three of them are very familiar to the collectors on this board.

Brian

skyofcrack
I love how some folks seem to disparage a particular artist's style or popularity when they, most probably, couldn't draw a dog's ass farting in a snowstorm.

If you don't like something, don't buy it. No need to slander a person who makes their living creating art just because YOU dont like it. There are many folks who do (or said person wouldnt be putting food on their table doing what they do)

I don't want shitty art on books that I spend hundreds of dollars on and will retain for the rest of my years. I want to ENJOY the art. For the most part I have decided to not purchase SK books with Chadbourne art which sucks because I still want the book as I'm a completist. It's a catch-22.

mistercrowley
04-07-2014, 01:16 PM
I love how some folks seem to disparage a particular artist's style or popularity when they, most probably, couldn't draw a dog's ass farting in a snowstorm.

People are entitled to their opinions. Be they positive or negative. I don't have to be a writer in order to have an opinion about a book do I? The same goes for art. I like Glenn's work somewhat but there seems to be a lot of it and I wouldn't mind not seeing him work on a King limited for a while.

Cook
04-07-2014, 01:17 PM

Brian

Why so many negative comments on this board about Glenn Chadbourne? I think he is an amazing artist and I am more likely to buy a book if he is involved with the project. :wtf:

I don't think anyone is really intending to be negative.
I personally think the market is overly saturated with Glenn's work.

skyofcrack
04-07-2014, 01:18 PM

Brian

The uncut edition didn't come out in the '70's/'80's.

jhanic
04-07-2014, 01:25 PM
I have no problems with Glenn's artwork. It's just that he seems to be everywhere!

John

George at C-Springs
04-07-2014, 01:25 PM
But, if you can now sell SK books without a SK signature for 1k no problem, why would any current publisher sell a signed SK for less?
CDance just changed the market permanently. Could be good, could be bad, time will tell.

I hope that's not true. If SK-signed new release S/L's were to suddenly jump (or even slowly crawl) up towards the $500 - $1K range, I'm afraid I'd be out of collecting S/L's ... it would simply not be affordable. Honestly I'm stunned (though happy for you Brian) that these Lettered's sold out at $1K; then again, I'm sure that there are thousands of collectors to whom $1K is less than pocket change, so selling 52 of them isn't a stretch.

I also don't think that Joyland was a fluke; you know they didn't lose money on the deal (and if they did, then they are the worst publisher ever). But look at the book; it's bare-bones, a trade issue really ... but it's got that signature. Would collectors have paid more? Probably; but it was sure nice not too have to, and was likely an affordable introduction to the SK-collecting world for a lot of people.

Hell, would you have paid $100 apiece for each of the original Green Mile paperback releases if they'd been signed by King?

You betcha.

jhanic
04-07-2014, 01:26 PM

Brian

The Uncut Stand came out in May of 1990.

John

Joe315
04-07-2014, 01:26 PM

Brian

If you could convince him to do the original that would be awesome. Maybe include the extra material from the uncut version as bonus material at the end.

skyofcrack
04-07-2014, 01:30 PM
The press release states these are the classic Doubleday novels from the 70's/'80's. That wouldn't be true if CD uses the uncut version.

Frankie
Some comments. $1000 for the lettered artist edition is way too steep IMO. I would have considered at $500 perhaps.
Gabriel

I think the resale market is not going to look favorably on the value of both the Limited and Lettered editions.

I'm not surprised that they found 52 people willing to pay it, no one should be surprised that there are 52 people out there that are such completists that they "gotta have it" even though it's crazy. And I very much think it's crazy. Didn't a Regulators lettered recently sell on eBay for not much more than $1000? Not to mention what else you could get for the same money, two recent signed numbereds, a DT1 1st/1st, etc.

Patrick
I've been tied up (figuratively) all day. I think this a cool project that CD has landed. I like the concept of all these different stories all having their own artists and designs, but appearing as a cohesive set on the shelf. Now I just need to decide which set to begin ordering.

Congratulations, Brian and Team CD!

T-Dogz_AK47
04-07-2014, 01:31 PM

I don't want shitty art on books that I spend hundreds of dollars on and will retain for the rest of my years. I want to ENJOY the art. For the most part I have decided to not purchase SK books with Chadbourne art which sucks because I still want the book as I'm a completist. It's a catch-22.

WTF!! Seriously??? How can anybody say that Glenn Chadbourne's art is shitty? The Secretary of Dreams is one of my favourite books and his artwork within that was truly stunning!!!! :wtf::wtf:

Frankie
04-07-2014, 01:32 PM
I love how some folks seem to disparage a particular artist's style or popularity when they (personally), most probably, couldn't draw a dog's ass farting in a snowstorm.

I don't gotta be Mario Batali to tell you that the hamburgers at McDonald's suck. :)

Kingfan24
04-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Gabriel

I think the resale market is not going to look favorably on the value of both the Limited and Lettered editions.

I'm not surprised that they found 52 people willing to pay it, no one should be surprised that there are 52 people out there that are such completists that they "gotta have it" even though it's crazy. And I very much think it's crazy. Didn't a Regulators lettered recently sell on eBay for not much more than $1000? Not to mention what else you could get for the same money, two recent signed numbereds, a DT1 1st/1st, etc.

wait a lettered regulators sold for 1000? theres no way

Br!an
04-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Didn't a Regulators lettered recently sell on eBay for not much more than $1000?

No

There was a numbered that sold for $1200 recently. The latest lettered I know of was sold by Bett's for $4400.

skyofcrack
04-07-2014, 01:38 PM

WTF!! Seriously??? How can anybody say that Glenn Chadbourne's art is shitty? The Secretary of Dreams is one of my favourite books and his artwork within that was truly stunning!!!! :wtf::wtf:

I should say, I don't like his style. It rubs me the wrong way every time I see anything by him. Not everything. I do like the cover of PS' Carrie (not the interiors) and I don't have either Secretary of Dreams books so I don't have an opinion on those.

subie09lega
04-07-2014, 01:41 PM
I don't think anyone is really intending to be negative.
I personally think the market is overly saturated with Glenn's work.

I feel the same, I haven't even opened my copy of The Dark Man to look at the art, I read the poem online and left it at that. I think that there are other excellent artists that probably aren't utilized and others are over-utilized. Not every project needs to be The Steve (or Whoever) and Glenn Show.

Br!an
04-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Art is subjective. There are people who think that Stephen King is a shitty writer.

Frankie
04-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Didn't a Regulators lettered recently sell on eBay for not much more than $1000?

No

There was a numbered that sold for $1200 recently. The latest lettered I know of was sold by Bett's for $4400.

You're right, think i got the numbered Regulators mixed up with another book. PC lettered FDNS maybe? Or maybe Blockade Billy.

Br!an
04-07-2014, 01:55 PM

No

You're right, think i got the numbered Regulators mixed up with another book. PC lettered FDNS maybe? Or maybe Blockade Billy.

There was one of those that went for cheap recently.

Ben Mears
04-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Potential Marsten House artwork for 'Salem's Lot

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/MH_005.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/MH1.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/MarstenHouse.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/HillHouse1977.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/HillHouse_1970.jpg

T-Dogz_AK47
04-07-2014, 01:59 PM

That looks very cool! Where did you find that?

Kingfan24
04-07-2014, 02:00 PM

you devil, you :tongue1:

Kingfan24
04-07-2014, 02:01 PM

that would be the aforementioned Chadbourne done for a collector here.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-07-2014, 02:07 PM

that would be the aforementioned Chadbourne done for a collector here.

It's official, Glenn Chadbourne is amazing! I hope he does the artwork for Salem's Lot, that would be fantastic!!! :excited::excited::excited:

George at C-Springs
04-07-2014, 02:17 PM
I should say, I don't like his style. It rubs me the wrong way every time I see anything by him. Not everything. I do like the cover of PS' Carrie (not the interiors) and I don't have either Secretary of Dreams books so I don't have an opinion on those.

I feel the same, I haven't even opened my copy of The Dark Man to look at the art, I read the poem online and left it at that. I think that there are other excellent artists that probably aren't utilized and others are over-utilized. Not every project needs to be The Steve (or Whoever) and Glenn Show.

I don't like everything that Glenn does, but there are some of his works that I think are pretty damn nice. I've got a few individual remarques which are great (especially the color ones), and I have to tell you that I think his style was a perfect match for the tone of The Dark Man. From these drawings that Ben Mears posted above, I don't like the first two color ones at all, but I like the three black and white ones, and especially like the last one:

Something about the lighting and the staircase really does it for me in this one. But those first two color ones? Nah. Maybe it's because to me the first two scream GLENN CHADBOURNE; but the three black and whites, and especially this last one? I wouldn't have known it was Chadbourne if not told.

Kingfan24
04-07-2014, 02:18 PM

I don't like everything that Glenn does, but there are some of his works that I think are pretty damn nice. I've got a few individual remarques which are great (especially the color ones), and I have to tell you that I think his style was a perfect match for the tone of The Dark Man. From these drawings that Ben Mears posted above, I don't like the first two color ones at all, but I like the three black and white ones, and especially like the last one:

Something about the lighting and the staircase really does it for me in this one. But those first two color ones? Nah.

that one gives me more of the "norman bates" house

George at C-Springs
04-07-2014, 02:25 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/HillHouse1977.jpg

And to me this is the house from Beetlejuice!

Ben Mears
04-07-2014, 02:26 PM

Something about the lighting and the staircase really does it for me in this one. But those first two color ones? Nah. Maybe it's because to me the first two scream GLENN CHADBOURNE; but the three black and whites, and especially this last one? I wouldn't have known it was Chadbourne if not told.

The last three aren't Glenn's. They are by Robert Addison. I would love to see CD's 'Salem's Lot illustrated with his work.

jonahwriter
04-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Did anyone like Chadbourne's art on the special edition dustjackets for "The Shining" and "Doctor Sleep" with The Overlook? I bought both of them recently and quite liked them. I also like the cover of PS Publishing's "Carrie" though I agree - not the interiors so much.

Roseannebarr
04-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Did anyone like Chadbourne's art on the special edition dustjackets for "The Shining" and "Doctor Sleep" with The Overlook? I bought both of them recently and quite liked them. I also like the cover of PS Publishing's "Carrie" though I agree - not the interiors so much.

did you receive them? when? still waiting on mine! and you are in EUROPE!

Frankie
04-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Nevermind.

jonahwriter
04-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Didn't receive "Carrie" yet but I did get "The Shining" and "Doctor Sleep" via The Overlook and ebay.

Scoogs
04-07-2014, 02:49 PM

It's easy, we all have our opinions and standards.
A handful of his paintings are decent enough, but the pen and ink stuff looks like over-detailed high school level art. That's why I ended up selling my S/L copy of The Dark Man.

Now that's not to say that CD shouldn't use him on occasion, obviously he has his fans. It's just that many of us are well past the saturation point and are much happier to hear about the other artists being used.

e_taylor
04-07-2014, 02:51 PM
I think I'll wait to see how the gift edition does on the secondary market before I dive in on these. I like the idea of a uniform set of high quality books on my shelf.

jonahwriter
04-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Did most people here pass on the PS Publishing version of "Carrie"? I almost passed on it, but in the end decided to go for it - I didn't go for "Pet" or "Christine" though.

jhanic
04-07-2014, 03:30 PM
I passed on them all.

John

Br!an
04-07-2014, 03:37 PM
I passed on them all.

John

Me too.

swintek
04-07-2014, 03:39 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this- but the first guy to pop into my mind for Salem's Lot- was Chadbourne. I can't believe it because like many here I was never a huge fan (he's kind of hit and miss as an artist for me), but mostly because he is so oversaturated in the King CD books. But... something about his style seems right for this book, particularly. And- I think he's getting better as an artist of late. One caveat: I still strongly suggest that CD stick with one artist for each novel- and that includes the covers. I really dislike that disjointed feeling when the interior art is a whole different vibe than the cover.

Ron

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Just for reference in case any wants to have the information handy, here are the artists for our SK books to date:

From a Buick 8 -- Bernie Wrightson
The Secretary of Dreams (Volume One) -- Glenn Chadbourne
Blockade Billy -- Glen Orbik (cover) and Alex McVey (interiors)
The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two) -- Glenn Chadbourne
Full Dark, No Stars -- Tomislav Tikulin (covers); Glenn Chadbourne, Jill Bauman, Alan M. Clark, and Vincent Chong (interiors)
It (25th Anniversary Special Edition) -- Glen Orbik (covers), Alan M. Clark & Erin S. Wells (interiors)
The Dark Man: An Illustrated Poem -- Glenn Chadbourne
Doctor Sleep -- Vincent Chong (cover and color interiors), Erin S. Wells (B&W interiors)
Carrie -- Tomislav Tikulin

The artists we've hired so far for the other Doubleday books have never done artwork for us before, although you probably know their names from other SK projects. It should make for a nice, fresh mix and some different looks to these books.

Brian

dnemec
04-07-2014, 04:23 PM
I loved Tomislav Tikulin's Full Dark, No Stars covers. In fact, my boyfriend also loved it and as such, it's the only horror print hanging outside of my office/bookroom/domain. I don't know if I plan on collecting these yet, but I love that you are using a variety of artists. May I also put in a vote for using Jill Bauman and our fellow DT member Ryan Harrison. I don't know if he is well-known enough, but Ryan did work on the Dolso cases for Joyland and did a terrific job, in my opinion.

I hope you are having a relaxing evening after this insane day, Brian!

Andrew Campbell
04-07-2014, 04:53 PM

Cook may have a point. I saw the announcement this morning and, like a number of others, was underwhelmed. I also mentally recapped the prior treatment of the Doubleday novels. Of the six, three already have been issued in signed/limited edition states: 'Salem's Lot (Centipede; one of my favorite S/Ls), The Shining (Subterranean) and The Stand (Doubleday), and of those Centipede and Subterranean also released "gift" editions. So, I wondered how CD would succeed where others have trod the trail before them. Also, if you had told me this morning that someone would fork over $1000 in honest coin for a lettered edition signed ONLY by the artist and not the author, I'd have called the nice men in the white jackets with the butterfly nets.

But the results prove my initial impression wrong, to my surprise.

Personally, I doubt that I will be ordering any of these. CD consistently puts out a high-quality product, and many of their editions rest on the top shelf of my bookcase. But, if it doesn't have the signature of the author, I have a hard time justifying the expense. I also will admit to a degree of fatigue in general regarding the re-issue of old works (which, of course, did not stop me from ordering a S/L of Subterranean's The Shining). I'd rather save my wampum, and look for a signed 1st Doubleday edition of Night Shift.

(And, by the way, if any of you happen to have an extra copy of that, which you're thinking of getting rid of . . . .)

Jimimck
04-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Brian, different question if I may: Any update on The Dark Man Art Portfolio's? Thank you

Andrew Campbell
04-07-2014, 04:59 PM
And, of course, I forgot to mention the 30th Anniversary "gift" edition of Pet Sematary by PS.

webstar1000
04-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Brian, different question if I may: Any update on The Dark Man Art Portfolio's? Thank you

Yeah I would love I know how that is coming too :)

George at C-Springs
04-07-2014, 05:09 PM
The last three aren't Glenn's. They are by Robert Addison. I would love to see CD's 'Salem's Lot illustrated with his work.

Well, there you go then. I don't know who Robert Addison is, but I like those three B&W's he did much better than the two colored ones that Glenn did. And now, knowing those weren't Glenn's, I think I know the difference and what I like about them ... they're not cartoony. They're very realistic, and I love his use of light and shadow. Very much like Erin Wells, and also if you know who JMW Turner was, they paint with light.

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 05:27 PM
The New York Times write-up about our Stephen King Doubleday Collection:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/07/early-stephen-king-novels-to-be-reissued-in-special-editions/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Brian

jhanic
04-07-2014, 05:28 PM
The New York Times write-up about our Stephen King Doubleday Collection:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/07/early-stephen-king-novels-to-be-reissued-in-special-editions/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Brian

Congratulations on the write-up!

John

Kingfan24
04-07-2014, 05:29 PM
After thinking about this project, I think it is actually going to be pretty cool

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 05:30 PM

I'll email our box maker for an update tomorrow. The last I heard, after three tries they finally found a design that didn't damage the artwork (woo-hoo!) and they were starting production on the cases last month. Usually they take 12 or so weeks, but production times can vary... and this is actually two cases in one, so that may complicate things? I will find out and report back as soon as I can!

Brian

AKC
04-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Brian, that is AWESOME! On behalf of this community, we are obviously very happy for you and the entire CD team... Covered by the NY Times!? Really!?

Gotta' tell ya', I am really surprised at the initial sell-through and the amount of "fanfare/$$$s" unsigned, reprinted editions are getting. I just don't get it.....

Obviously in the minority given how many of these have already sold....

Congrats again!

RichardX
04-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Very nice cover. I'm sure it will be fantastic. I can't imagine anyone paying $1K, though, for a copy not signed by King. For that amount, I would expect him to deliver it to my door and read it to me while I sipped the bottle of Dom Perignon that he brought along, but to each his own. I can only attribute the level of interest to speculators or those that grew up reading King who are now at the peak of their income levels. If the book had been signed, imagine the price and how quickly it would have sold out. My only criticism is that it was difficult to ascertain the difference between the various selections. They were all lumped together and it appears some people assumed they were signed by King. While the difference may be obvious to the more experienced collector, it would be nice for the novices among us to get a better description of the various choices.

Andrew Campbell
04-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Brian, that is AWESOME! On behalf of this community, we are obviously very happy for you and the entire CD team... Covered by the NY Times!? Really!?

Gotta' tell ya', I am really surprised at the initial sell-through and the amount of "fanfare/$$$s" unsigned, reprinted editions are getting. I just don't get it.....

Obviously in the minority given how many of these have already sold....

Congrats again!

Yep, coverage by the NY Times: that rocks. Good for you guys at CD.

Brian James Freeman
04-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks to everyone who made today exciting, fun, and interesting. We're always reading the feedback, even if I can't reply to every post. We appreciate your passion for all things Stephen King and collecting, and your willingness to share your unvarnished feelings about our projects.

We knew these editions wouldn't be for everyone. We've wanted to publish this set for as long as I've worked at Cemetery Dance. We were given the opportunity to publish them in the editions we offered today, and we plan on delivering the best editions we possibly can.

For those who passed, hopefully there will be other projects in the future where we deliver what you're dreaming about.

Thanks,
Brian

Dan
04-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Well said!

Merlin1958
04-07-2014, 06:01 PM

Brian

I totally agree with this statement. Just look at the art he did for the Dolso Case art editions!! He can be very, very, very good when the situation calls for a particular style. Notice that his work does vary according to subject matter.

Brian

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you knew, Glenn even through online contact, you would know that he is a very giving and generous, as well as down to earth guy always willing to please. He also has to make a living for his family and those that depend on him. So have a care in how you affect a persons' ability to feed and shelter his family. He is without a doubt a very kind and decent man. If you do not care for his work, fine you are entitled to not purchase it. No need to sully the man's name is there?

Merlin1958
04-07-2014, 06:07 PM
FWIW I would like to see the following artist on these editions, excluding "Carrie which has already been determined:

'Salem's Lot - Rachel Readman
Night Shift - Glen Chadborn
The Shining - Vincent Chong (It would be a great compliment to "Dr. Sleep")
The Stand - Alex McVey
Pet Semetary - Mark Geyer

Just my "three beans" so to speak.

Ben Staad
04-07-2014, 06:09 PM
I personally love the work Glenn does. It's a combo of his style and love of the content that probably does it for me.

AKC
04-07-2014, 06:13 PM
God No. Make It Stop. Make The Madness STOP. Glenn, look at the flowers. Look at the pretty flowers

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you knew, Glenn even through online contact, you would know that he is a very giving and generous, as well as down to earth guy always willing to please. He also has to make a living for his family and those that depend on him. So have a care in how you affect a persons' ability to feed and shelter his family. He is without a doubt a very kind and decent man. If you do not care for his work, fine you are entitled to not purchase it. No need to sully the man's name is there?

I personally love the work Glenn does. It's a combo of his style and love of the content that probably does it for me.

As do most. I think the initial criticism was directed at the saturation of the marketplace with his king-specific work over the last couple of years.

Don't feel as if anybody was attacking him personally......

My two cents.

bdwyer19
04-07-2014, 06:16 PM
As do most. I think the initial criticism was directed at the saturation of the marketplace with his king-specific work over the last couple of years.

Don't feel as if anybody was attacking him personally......

My two cents.

That's how I felt. I have a few remarqued books by Glenn that are fantastic. It's just nice to see other artists get represented in other King editions.

CyberGhostface
04-07-2014, 06:17 PM
I thought Chong did a great job on SP's Shining but idk if I'd want to see him do it again.

Merlin1958
04-07-2014, 06:21 PM
I thought Chong did a great job on SP's Shining but idk if I'd want to see him do it again.

:doh: Forgot about that!! LOL?

thegunslinger41
04-07-2014, 07:02 PM
We all enjoy having "that" rare book...that super scarce 1st edition that is valuable and even better when it has sentimental value.

My concern with the anniversary editions focuses mainly on preserving the value of the original first editions and original signed limited...and also creating a new "anniversary" edition that will hold it's value. (feeling so scatterbrained again because there is so much i want to say)

Creating anniversary editions of the same books by different publishers will only dilute the SK market and will affect the price of the original and signed/limited in a negative way. I always think of how every few years another anniversary edition is published of JRR Tolkeins LOTR. Regardless of how nice they are, print runs are high and i can normally find them at a super discounted price online or even at my local half-priced books. This sudden onslaught of anniversary editions just reminds me of the gimmicky variant cover trend that plagues the comic industry. It's nauseating.

Merlin1958
04-07-2014, 07:11 PM
We all enjoy having "that" rare book...that super scarce 1st edition that is valuable and even better when it has sentimental value.

My concern with the anniversary editions focuses mainly on preserving the value of the original first editions and original signed limited...and also creating a new "anniversary" edition that will hold it's value. (feeling so scatterbrained again because there is so much i want to say)

Creating anniversary editions of the same books by different publishers will only dilute the SK market and will affect the price of the original and signed/limited in a negative way. I always think of how every few years another anniversary edition is published of JRR Tolkeins LOTR. Regardless of how nice they are, print runs are high and i can normally find them at a super discounted price online or even at my local half-priced books. This sudden onslaught of anniversary editions just reminds me of the gimmicky variant cover trend that plagues the comic industry. It's nauseating.

While I understand the gist of what you are saying, go look at prices for a 1/1 of "LOTR". It doesn't really affect the marketplace, IMHO For that matter, go buy a "Carrie" 1/1 and let me know the price.

Kingfan24
04-07-2014, 07:11 PM

I honestly do not think we would be having this discussion had PS publishing not put out their version of slightly less quality books. I believe CD books will be awesome in quality and retain value. Just look at the IT Gift edition. That isn't even signed by the artist.

thegunslinger41
04-07-2014, 07:27 PM
I agree KingFan. PS publishing's product was decent at best. Gift edition of IT was utterly amazing. I'll get the gift edition of CARRIE if and when there is a normal signed/limited offered at some point. I'll buy a few copies of THAt gift edition.

G

jonahwriter
04-07-2014, 07:48 PM
I agree KingFan. PS publishing's product was decent at best. Gift edition of IT was utterly amazing. I'll get the gift edition of CARRIE if and when there is a normal signed/limited offered at some point. I'll buy a few copies of THAt gift edition.

G

I'm still trying to get a copy of CD's IT, either signed numbered or just gift edition. But the prices on ebay seem really random. What would be considered good or at least reasonable value to pay for either of them? I've seen gift editions going really expensive and they are not even signed. I'm still kicking myself I never bought it from CD originally.

Merlin1958
04-07-2014, 08:01 PM

G

I'm still trying to get a copy of CD's IT, either signed numbered or just gift edition. But the prices on ebay seem really random. What would be considered good or at least reasonable value to pay for either of them? I've seen gift editions going really expensive and they are not even signed. I'm still kicking myself I never bought it from CD originally.

As well you should!! I gave my GE away to the HF with a EW remarque a year or so ago, because I had a S/L!!! One of the best CD editions ever!!! It will be tough to get a fair price now. Good luck to you, young man!! LOL I do sympathize with your plight!!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-07-2014, 10:28 PM
I passed on them all.

John

Me too.

Me three.

needfulthings
04-08-2014, 12:47 AM
http://imageshack.com/a/img594/5319/luju.jpg

skyofcrack
04-08-2014, 02:20 AM

As a consumer and collector, the only thing I should be concerned with is if I like what I'm purchasing. Why should I have to get involved personally with the artist? I'm sure the artist doesn't care about my personal life.

All I want is to continue my King collection and not cringe when I hear Glenn is involved. That's not to say Glenn can't work with other publishers on other books to make a living. I'd just rather he not work on anymore King books.

Ben Mears
04-08-2014, 02:47 AM

Well, there you go then. I don't know who Robert Addison is, but I like those three B&W's he did much better than the two colored ones that Glenn did. And now, knowing those weren't Glenn's, I think I know the difference and what I like about them ... they're not cartoony. They're very realistic, and I love his use of light and shadow. Very much like Erin Wells, and also if you know who JMW Turner was, they paint with light.

Turner was very good with light. Some of his work is almost abstract which was unusual for his time. If you're interested you can find more info on Robert Addison here: www.robertaddisongallery.com.

WeDealInLead
04-08-2014, 04:50 AM

I honestly do not think we would be having this discussion had PS publishing not put out their version of slightly less quality books. I believe CD books will be awesome in quality and retain value. Just look at the IT Gift edition. That isn't even signed by the artist.

Before making claims like these, some research is in order first, no?

The Dark Man S/L sells for issue price and BELOW issue price.
Riding the Bullet lettered, aka the only edition signed by King sells below issue price
Secretary of Dreams lettereds sell below issue price
Doctor Sleep sells for above issue but not much
FD, NS sells for above issue but not much
Legacies sells for above but not much

I'm not sure about Blockade Billy.

Another thing to consider is that It from CD is the only special edition of the book. It's great that it sells for 3x it's issue price. That shows CD did a great job and published a quality, desirable collectible. I hope these reprints too will go up in price but time will tell. There are already superior editions actually signed by King out there and that might affect the aftermarket price.

UK publishers use a different kind of paper across the board. Now that you know that, please don't make any future purchases and spare us your constant whinnying. Honestly, I can't read a thread without you complaining about one thing or another.

thegunslinger41
04-08-2014, 05:07 AM
Tis true...I have been feeling a bit whiney lately. Lack of sleep...hormonally unbalanced.... :)

-G

Patrick
04-08-2014, 06:02 AM
Brian, congrats on the mention in the NY Times! How sweet is that?!

In addition to artists mentioned thus far (or adding my voice if already mentioned), I'd be happy to see Jill Bauman and/or Erin Wells involved in this book project.

Ari_Racing
04-08-2014, 06:10 AM
FWIW I would like to see the following artist on these editions, excluding "Carrie which has already been determined:

The Stand - Alex McVey

You can cross Alex from that list since CD posted they'll never work with him again.

mae
04-08-2014, 06:12 AM

I can't discuss anything specifically at the moment, other than to say the full version of "Before the Play" is going to show up somewhere eventually... Sorry to be vague. I didn't want to not answer your question, but I also honestly can't say more.

Brian

If the deluxe edition of The Shining contains Before the Play then I'm definitely in.

bdwyer19
04-08-2014, 06:17 AM

The Stand - Alex McVey

You can cross Alex from that list since CD posted they'll never work with him again.

Why is that? What happened? I dealt with him on remarques for Blockade Billy, and thought he was great to work with.

Brian James Freeman
04-08-2014, 06:29 AM
We're working with Alex right now on some interiors for a book, so who knows what the future might bring, right?

Brian

subie09lega
04-08-2014, 06:45 AM

Didn't Mark Geyer do the interiors for the PS edition of Pet Sematary? I'd vote against anyone doing art for the same title as another publisher's edition.

webstar1000
04-08-2014, 06:49 AM

Brian

If the deluxe edition of The Shining contains Before the Play then I'm definitely in.

Sorry to sound like a fool... but what is "Before the Play"?

herbertwest
04-08-2014, 06:49 AM
Just to make sure that I didnt miss the answer : we dont know for sure, yet, that the introduction is new, right?

Br!an
04-08-2014, 06:54 AM

Brian

It is the prologue that King wrote for The Shining. It wasn't published in the book.

Synopsis: http://www.horrorking.com/rarewrks.html#befreply

webstar1000
04-08-2014, 06:55 AM

Brian

It is the prologue that King wrote for The Shining. It wasn't published in the book.

Cool... be nice to read that for sure!

Bev Vincent
04-08-2014, 06:57 AM
King conceived of The Shining as a 5-act play, like Shakespeare. There was a "Before the Play" section that was removed by his editors that contains some historical info about The Overlook, mostly. It was published separately in Whispers magazine in 1982 and a shortened version appeared in TV Guide when the ABC miniseries was aired.

There was also an "After the Play" section. Some people consider this "lost," but in my opinion it was just edited down to the conclusion that you find in the novel.

biomieg
04-08-2014, 07:00 AM

Brian

You, my friend, need to get yourself a copy of Justin Brooks' Stephen King Bibliography :)

stroppygoblin
04-08-2014, 07:05 AM
Cool... be nice to read that for sure!

Kris, it was published in Whispers (1982) as well as in the the April 6-May 2, 1997 issue of TV Guide (abridged form).

Use that link I gave you previously :evil: and search for "The Collective". I believe this to be the abridged version however.

Update: just checked, it seems to be the full version as published in Whispers.

subie09lega
04-08-2014, 07:15 AM
Can we match numbers to previous CD purchases?

Mindy will do her very best! As long as it isn't a lifetime, it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks!

Brian

Will Mindy respond to let us know that the number we request is available? I don't think that my number is a lifetime as it's the copy of Doctor Sleep that I have. I suppose she's probably inundated with emails so I don't want to bug her if she doesn't send responses to that type of request and just makes a list of the requests.

Brian James Freeman
04-08-2014, 07:19 AM

Mindy will do her very best! As long as it isn't a lifetime, it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks!

Brian

Will Mindy respond to let us know that the number we request is available? I don't think that my number is a lifetime as it's the copy of Doctor Sleep that I have. I suppose she's probably inundated with emails so I don't want to bug her if she doesn't send responses to that type of request and just makes a list of the requests.

She'll reply to let you know she received the email. It'll be a generic reply about trying to match, etc, but if you ordered Doctor Sleep from us, then that number should be all yours!

Brian

stroppygoblin
04-08-2014, 07:20 AM

Brian

She replied to me. Positively I might add :)

Brian James Freeman
04-08-2014, 07:21 AM
I've heard back about Steve's introduction and Tabitha's afterword in Carrie. I'm told they were previously published, but might be revised a little.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
04-08-2014, 07:22 AM
There was also an "After the Play" section. Some people consider this "lost," but in my opinion it was just edited down to the conclusion that you find in the novel.

Bev could post that "After the Play" became the first chapter of The Gunslinger and I would be inclined to believe him. ;)

Brian

carlosdetweiller
04-08-2014, 07:27 AM
I've heard back about Steve's introduction and Tabitha's afterword in Carrie. I'm told they were previously published, but might be revised a little.

Steve's introduction, if it is the one originally published in 1999 Signet editions, is one of the best introductions I have ever read.

Tabitha wrote the introduction to the "Collectors Edition" of Carrie in 1991. It, on the other hand, is one of the worst introductions I have ever read. Half of the thing was Tabitha talking about her own onset of menses and subsequent menstrual difficulties. Seriously, Tabby?

If CD plans to use this one by Tabitha I hope it is abridged or edited.

Brian James Freeman
04-08-2014, 07:33 AM
I dug up the file from the production folder and Steve's starts with:

Although I sold a couple of stories as a college student, my career as a professional fiction writer actually began just after my graduation. I had written a column ("King's Garbage Truck," it was called—the editor-in-chief s name for it, not mine) in the college paper for two or three years, and I stopped into the offices to pick up some of my junk two or three days after commencement.

I don't have the final file for Tabitha's yet, so I'm not sure about that one.

Brian

CyberGhostface
04-08-2014, 07:45 AM
No offense to her but from what I've read Tabitha's not the best writer. I remember they reprinted King's Maple Street story in an anthology of stories based off the Harris Burdick illustrations and Tabitha had a story in the collection as well. Her story was one of the weakest of the collection IMO and part of me wondered if including her was one of King's stipulations for them to be able reprint his.

LostAlivE
04-08-2014, 08:26 AM
I personally can't wait to see what CD does for and with The Stand. To me that will tell me if it has been worth it.

cgallagh44
04-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Hi Brian,

Is there any chance that there may be one signature from Stephen King (on something-no sure what) that would tie the entire collection together for those who make the investment?

Regards and Congratulations

Dan
04-08-2014, 08:27 AM
I personally can't wait to see what CD does for and with The Stand. To me that will tell me if it has been worth it.

A gift/artist edition of The Stand will sure look pretty next to my S/L. I can't wait either.

herbertwest
04-08-2014, 08:31 AM

Brian

So none of it is "new" then? :-(

jhanic
04-08-2014, 08:34 AM
No offense to her but from what I've read Tabitha's not the best writer. I remember they reprinted King's Maple Street story in an anthology of stories based off the Harris Burdick illustrations and Tabitha had a story in the collection as well. Her story was one of the weakest of the collection IMO and part of me wondered if including her was one of King's stipulations for them to be able reprint his.

The anthology was "The Chronicles of Harris Burdick". Tabbitha's story was not the strongest one in the book.

John

webstar1000
04-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Hi Brian,

Is there any chance that there may be one signature from Stephen King (on something-no sure what) that would tie the entire collection together for those who make the investment?

I would be on this now... if I knew the answer to that. Say the last book or something...

Brian James Freeman
04-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Hi Brian,

That's a great question. There's been no talk of him signing anything at this time, but if the possibility arises to do something special like that for the set, we'll certainly make whatever arrangements are necessary to make it happen.

Brian

Ari_Racing
04-08-2014, 10:43 AM
We're working with Alex right now on some interiors for a book, so who knows what the future might bring, right?

Brian

My bad then. Sorry!

As for artists suggestions, mine would be:

Salem's Lot: Michael Whelan
The Shining: JK Potter
Night Shift: Don Maitz
The Stand: Darrel Anderson
Pet Sematary: Mark Stutzman

webstar1000
04-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Hi Brian,

That's a great question. There's been no talk of him signing anything at this time, but if the possibility arises to do something special like that for the set, we'll certainly make whatever arrangements are necessary to make it happen.

Brian

Brian, I sent you an email. Did you by chance get it?

Brian James Freeman
04-08-2014, 10:52 AM
As for artists suggestions, mine would be:

Salem's Lot: Michael Whelan
The Shining: JK Potter
Night Shift: Don Maitz
The Stand: Darrel Anderson
Pet Sematary: Mark Stutzman

I like this list of artists! :)

Brian James Freeman
04-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Brian, I sent you an email. Did you by chance get it?

Please send me a PM with the subject line. I'm almost caught up on yesterday's mail and it's almost time to search my spam folder for stuff that shouldn't gone in there!

Brian

Ben Mears
04-08-2014, 11:03 AM

Tabitha has authored a series of novels that take place in Nodd's Ridge, Maine that are very good. At this stage of his career I would love to see SK do something similar.

Brian James Freeman
04-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Tabitha has authored a series of novels that take place in Nodd's Ridge, Maine that are very good. At this stage of his career I would love to see SK do something similar.

Did you like Small World, Caretakers, or The Trap?

Brian

Bev Vincent
04-08-2014, 11:11 AM
One on One was my favorite. The Trap is brutal.

goathunter
04-08-2014, 11:28 AM
The only Tabitha book I read was Small World, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

Hunter

carlosdetweiller
04-08-2014, 11:31 AM
I started reading Small World years ago. Didn't get past the first 100 pages or so. Have never felt the need to read anything else by her.

Bev Vincent
04-08-2014, 11:32 AM
I don't consider Small World to be typical of her novels. It's quite different from the others, which (except for Candles Burning) are all non-supernatural.

Ben Mears
04-08-2014, 11:44 AM

Did you like Small World, Caretakers, or The Trap?

Brian

All three along with The Book Of Reuben, Pearl, and One On One. I found her novels engaging and like the way she provides different perspectives of her characters from book to book. As I mentioned in my previous post, I think it would be interesting to see SK finish his career with a similar series of non-horror/supernatural novels.

Joe315
04-08-2014, 01:41 PM
For those on the other side of the pond.

http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/carrie-cemetery-dance-edition-by-stephen-king-2127-p.asp

tippy4
04-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Will the six book match each other in size and style?

Randall Flagg
04-08-2014, 03:05 PM

Brian

It was written ~in the 70's. Which would you prefer, and why?

Brian James Freeman
04-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Will the six book match each other in size and style?

They'll all have the same trim size and the same style slipcases/traycases.

Brian

Merlin1958
04-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Hire, Rachel Readman!!!!

Can I get an "Amen" folks????

stroppygoblin
04-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Amen

Merlin1958
04-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Amen

Praise be his name!!!

RichardX
04-08-2014, 04:54 PM
It would be cool if some of the art work was made available in prints for framing.

Jimimck
04-08-2014, 05:28 PM

Brian

My preference would be for the edited version to be done by CD under this set, for the following reasons:
- the appeal of this set is that it's the original six Doubleday stories, and so IMO it should be as they were published by Doubleday originally. Yes, you can add special features such as introductions/afterwards etc, but the story itself should be the original Doubleday edition.
- from a more selfish point of view, I have the S/L of The Stand, and I would like a different version. The original edited version fits right in to that. People may be more inclined to purchase the new publication if it differs to what has already been done.

swintek
04-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Brian- is the price point expected to be the same for all six books?

Kingfan24
04-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Brian- is the price point expected to be the same for all six books?

I asked the same question - the response is that depending on production cost they may fluctuate a little.

Jimimck
04-08-2014, 05:44 PM
I think Brian mentioned earlier the prices may vary for each book. I'm sure I read The Stand will most likely cost more.

jonahwriter
04-08-2014, 05:54 PM

http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/carrie-cemetery-dance-edition-by-stephen-king-2127-p.asp

Thanks for that! Much cheaper shipping for me. Just ordered a copy now. So I'll have the CD "Carrie" and the PS "Carrie".

swintek
04-08-2014, 06:41 PM
I asked the same question - the response is that depending on production cost they may fluctuate a little.

I think Brian mentioned earlier the prices may vary for each book. I'm sure I read The Stand will most likely cost more.

Ahh- thanks. Missed that part somehow. This makes sense.

skyofcrack
04-08-2014, 08:57 PM

Brian

For this particular series which is celebrating the original Doubleday books I would prefer the 1978 version. I love both, of course but I've read the original many more times and the uncut book contains new additions and references to the 1990's that doesn't line up with the feeling of the rest of the series of six Doubleday novels from the 1970's.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-08-2014, 10:06 PM

PS Publishing just add the shipping cost onto the book cost. The price works out the same as buying it from CD.

Joe315
04-08-2014, 10:30 PM

PS Publishing just add the shipping cost onto the book cost. The price works out the same as buying it from CD.

Well that's disappointing for you guys.

webstar1000
04-09-2014, 03:31 AM
It would be cool to have the artist ones have a small remargue in each... and a large one in the lettered. I asked Brian and that (at this time) is not possible. I even offered more money as I thought a matching artist remarqued set would be VERY cool even without King signing the books. I would jump on that. I live in Canada and these books will cost me over $1800 (AND that is if my dollar stays the same as now and not get any worse). I am sorry but as much as I LOVE CD'd stuff... this alas I will not have. If in the future I see a matching set (the only way I feel these 6 books would have close to their retail value) I may go for it if pricing is really good.... for now... I will continue my hunt for completed set of S/L's.

Brian James Freeman
04-09-2014, 04:06 AM
It would be cool to have the artist ones have a small remargue in each... and a large one in the lettered. I asked Brian and that (at this time) is not possible.

At least probably not with every cover artist, no. Tomislav lives in Croatia and the logistics of shipping him books and getting them back safely are... difficult and not guaranteed. We talked about doing special sheets like we did with Vinny, but the schedule is pretty tight. He'd need to be able to do them, and do them well, and get them back to us by June 1st. It'll take until the end April to get the sheets to him. We'll see.

Brian

Ben Mears
04-09-2014, 06:00 AM
I still strongly suggest that CD stick with one artist for each novel- and that includes the covers. I really dislike that disjointed feeling when the interior art is a whole different vibe than the cover.

Ron

I agree; continuity is important.
I wouldn't mind seeing Rick Berry illustrate 'Salem's Lot if done in the style he used for Black House. Of the six books included in the series, SL generates the most mood and atmosphere and I think Berry's style would reflect on that very well. The part opener titles: The Marsten House, The Emperor Of Ice Cream (poem about death),and The Deserted Village provide an opportunity for creating overarching images that mirror the mood and theme of the story and, in my opinion, could be much more interesting than depiction of specific scenes.

Brian James Freeman
04-09-2014, 06:02 AM
The approval slipcase for the Smoke & Mirrors Limited Edition arrived this week:

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/smokeandmirrors.jpg

Brian

mikeC
04-09-2014, 06:55 AM
Who actually owns Dead Zone rights? Stu explained alot on the tour but I can't remember.

Bev Vincent
04-09-2014, 07:02 AM
Do you mean the book? Presumably Penguin / Viking still does, but it depends upon the terms of the contract. Whenever the rights to a book have lapsed (the Doubleday books, for example), they've gone over to Scribner's paperback imprint.

DanHocker
04-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Looks like Penguin, as the kindle edition is listed as being sold by them.

swintek
04-09-2014, 11:21 AM
I still strongly suggest that CD stick with one artist for each novel- and that includes the covers. I really dislike that disjointed feeling when the interior art is a whole different vibe than the cover.

Ron

I wouldn't mind seeing Rick Berry illustrate 'Salem's Lot if done in the style he used for Black House. Of the six books included in the series, SL generates the most mood and atmosphere and I think Berry's style would reflect on that very well. The part opener titles: The Marsten House, The Emperor Of Ice Cream (poem about death),and The Deserted Village provide an opportunity for creating overarching images that mirror the mood and theme of the story and, in my opinion, could be much more interesting than depiction of specific scenes.

Nicely stated, Ben. I would love Rick Berry, as well! Adding to your point about quality overarching images, and I think this can't be overstated- I would MUCH rather see fewer pieces of a higher quality, than an overabundance of so-so art. It looks like they are getting out of the gate just fine, with one quality artist (Tikulin) handling the cover and 6 interiors. I hope they continue in this manner. I also appreciate smaller "devices", placed with consideration throughout the book (Subpress' The Shining is an excellent example), but only if it works with the mood of the story, and doesn't present a distraction. That's where you need a really good art director to make that call, I guess.

ESW
04-09-2014, 01:45 PM

Ron

Nicely stated, Ben. I would love Rick Berry, as well! Adding to your point about quality overarching images, and I think this can't be overstated- I would MUCH rather see fewer pieces of a higher quality, than an overabundance of so-so art. It looks like they are getting out of the gate just fine, with one quality artist (Tikulin) handling the cover and 6 interiors. I hope they continue in this manner. I also appreciate smaller "devices", placed with consideration throughout the book (Subpress' The Shinning is an excellent example), but only if it works with the mood of the story, and doesn't present a distraction. That's where you need a really good art director to make that call, I guess.

I agree! Often it is better for the artist, too, when there are fewer, but more carefully-considered illustrations in a book. This gives the artist the opportunity to polish each illustration and--if possible--collaborate with designer and author(s) to put out an overall better product.

Ben Mears
04-09-2014, 03:58 PM

Ron

Nicely stated, Ben. I would love Rick Berry, as well! Adding to your point about quality overarching images, and I think this can't be overstated- I would MUCH rather see fewer pieces of a higher quality, than an overabundance of so-so art. It looks like they are getting out of the gate just fine, with one quality artist (Tikulin) handling the cover and 6 interiors. I hope they continue in this manner. I also appreciate smaller "devices", placed with consideration throughout the book (Subpress' The Shining is an excellent example), but only if it works with the mood of the story, and doesn't present a distraction. That's where you need a really good art director to make that call, I guess.

Images for the three part openers, the Epilogue and title page would be a good number for 'Salem's Lot. A wrap around cover image tying the Marsten House and the town together is a must.

Brian James Freeman
04-09-2014, 04:55 PM
A wrap around cover image tying the Marsten House and the town together is a must.

Stop reading my mind!! ;)

Brian

WeDealInLead
04-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Brian, any chance of getting Caniglia or Keith Minnion for any of these books? Or the guy who painted The Anubis Gates for Centipede. Those paintings are out of this world.

CyberGhostface
04-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Will The Stand still have the Wrightson illustrations?

Brian James Freeman
04-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Brian, any chance of getting Caniglia or Keith Minnion for any of these books? Or the guy who painted The Anubis Gates for Centipede. Those paintings are out of this world.

Caniglia is already working on several fairly important, unannounced projects for us.

We're still talking to artists, though, so anything is possible. 'Salem's Lot and The Shining definitely feature new (to us) artists, but I think our collectors will be very pleased.

Brian

Merlin1958
04-09-2014, 07:10 PM

Caniglia is already working on several fairly important, unannounced projects for us.

We're still talking to artists, though, so anything is possible. 'Salem's Lot and The Shining definitely feature new (to us) artists, but I think our collectors will be very pleased.

Brian

Hire, Rachel Readman!!! Can I get an "Amen" folks????

Ben Eads
04-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Just getting around to the news--and wow! Holy poop on a stick!

I've wanted Cemetery Dance to do this with King's earlier work for a very long time. Kudos, CD! They always produce top-notch productions.

Merlin1958
04-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Just getting around to the news--and wow! Holy poop on a stick!

I've wanted Cemetery Dance to do this with King's earlier work for a very long time. Kudos, CD! They always produce top-notch productions.

Agreed, now if only they hire, Rachel Readman!!!

Ben Eads
04-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Hey, Wild Bill! I need to check out her artwork. ;)

Any news regarding: Cemetery Dance: A Fifteen Year Celebration? I tried looking it up on CD's website, but it didn't produce any results.

stroppygoblin
04-10-2014, 12:51 AM
Hey, Wild Bill! I need to check out her artwork. ;)

I am sure your patience will be rewarded soon.... :evil:

Ben Mears
04-10-2014, 02:28 AM
A wrap around cover image tying the Marsten House and the town together is a must.

Stop reading my mind!! ;)

Brian

Very encouraging! I look forward to seeing the what you come up with.

Tito_Villa
04-10-2014, 02:34 AM

Brian

I'd really like Daniele Serra to be given a chance ... http://www.multigrade.it/
http://www.multigrade.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/cover_kiy.jpg

Brian James Freeman
04-10-2014, 04:51 AM
Any news regarding: Cemetery Dance: A Fifteen Year Celebration? I tried looking it up on CD's website, but it didn't produce any results.

Yes! Collectors who preordered directly from us have received an update about the book's metamorphosis into something even bigger and more awesome, including a different title. So we've removed CD:15 from the site will we prepare some plans to officially announce the change. Should be pretty exciting, at least for those who like doorstop sized anthologies. I'll post all of the details here as soon as we have them ready.

Brian

Ben Mears
04-10-2014, 05:22 AM

Brian

I'd really like Daniele Serra to be given a chance ... http://www.multigrade.it/

His style would work well for 'Salem's Lot.

Ben Eads
04-10-2014, 08:27 AM

Yes! Collectors who preordered directly from us have received an update about the book's metamorphosis into something even bigger and more awesome, including a different title. So we've removed CD:15 from the site will we prepare some plans to officially announce the change. Should be pretty exciting, at least for those who like doorstop sized anthologies. I'll post all of the details here as soon as we have them ready.

Brian

Thanks for the update, Brian!

I'm a little concerned because I did preorder it and haven't received an update regarding it.

Any insight would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

Ben Eads
04-10-2014, 08:29 AM

Brian

Daniele rocks! He's a hell of a nice guy, too!

Brian James Freeman
04-10-2014, 09:08 AM

Brian

I'm a little concerned because I did preorder it and haven't received an update regarding it.

Thanks!

Sure, send me an email at brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com and I'll forward you the update! The new project isn't announced yet, so we're trying to keep some of the surprises... well, surprises. :) I'll also double-check that your email address is on your order, so you get future updates on the book. Thanks!

Brian

Ben Eads
04-10-2014, 09:09 AM

Brian

Thanks!

Sure, send me an email at brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com and I'll forward you the update! The new project isn't announced yet, so we're trying to keep some of the surprises... well, surprises. :) I'll also double-check that your email address is on your order, so you get future updates on the book. Thanks!

Brian

Thank you so much, Brian!

I'll send you an email shortly! =)

Br!an
04-10-2014, 11:46 AM

Brian

So is this bigger, better book going to be available to purchase again? I was going to buy it back in October. By the time payday came around you had pulled it. It would be sweet to have another chance at it.

Brian James Freeman
04-10-2014, 11:51 AM

Brian

So is this bigger, better book going to be available to purchase again? I was going to buy it back in October. By the time payday came around you had pulled it. It would be sweet to have another chance at it.

Yep, it'll be put back on the site closer to publication once the book is designed and the signature sheets have made some more significant progress.

Brian

Merlin1958
04-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Just throwing this out there, but maybe CD should give a little more consideration for artist's who support the Haven Fund? Like say, Rachel Readman, Alex McVey, Don Maitz, Glen Chadborn, Mark Geyer, Erin Wells, Jill Bauman and Ned Dameron for instance?

Hey, I'm still the Haven Fund Whore, you should all have seen that coming!!! LOL Could have even pre-empted it!! LOL

Randall Flagg
04-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Just throwing this out there, but maybe CD should give a little more consideration for artist's who support the Haven Fund? Like say, Rachel Readman, Alex McVey, Don Maitz, Glen Chadborn, Mark Geyer, Erin Wells, Jill Bauman and Ned Dameron for instance?

Hey, I'm still the Haven Fund Whore, you should all have seen that coming!!! LOL Could have even pre-empted it!! LOL
That should have nothing to do with CD's choice of artists.
CD will choose the best artists available.

Merlin1958
04-10-2014, 01:48 PM

That should have nothing to do with CD's choice of artists.
CD will choose the best artists available.

I know, I hadda take a shot though!! LOL

Patrick
04-10-2014, 10:09 PM
I pulled the trigger and purchased the AE today. I may add the GE later.

stroppygoblin
04-11-2014, 12:10 AM

My thoughts too. I keep thinking, IT was 'just' a Gift Edition, but if GE Carrie is anywhere near the quality of THAT, who wouldn't want it as well?

webstar1000
04-11-2014, 03:21 AM

My thoughts too. I keep thinking, IT was 'just' a Gift Edition, but if GE Carrie is anywhere near the quality of THAT, who wouldn't want it as well?

I am struggling too.... but I worry that once they are out there... they will not be worth what I paid. BUT... IT was just a "gift edition" like you said. Tough call for sure...

Kingfan24
04-11-2014, 04:44 AM
I like the fact the artist edition will have a traycase. I paid 100 bucks for the Christine and pet sematary and they came in a flimsy slipcase.

stroppygoblin
04-11-2014, 04:58 AM
I like the fact the artist edition will have a traycase. I paid 100 bucks for the Christine and pet sematary and they came in a flimsy slipcase.

Thats a PS slipcase. Look at the GE of IT, 'From a Buick 8' or Dr Sleep for examples of CD slipcases. Way, way better quality.

http://cupofjobi.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/it2.jpg

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/X_CASES14.jpg

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/DoctorSleepGiftEditionslipcase.jpg

Ben Staad
04-11-2014, 05:12 AM
I'm sure the quality of books will be at or above CD standards. It will be a great looking item and I can't imagine the GE losing much value if any of the other SK titles produced by CD are an example.

I'm passing on this because the artwork didn't appeal to me and I would prefer to spend my money elsewhere.

I am struggling too.... but I worry that once they are out there... they will not be worth what I paid. BUT... IT was just a "gift edition" like you said. Tough call for sure...

stroppygoblin
04-11-2014, 05:17 AM
I'm sure the quality of books will be at or above CD standards. It will be a great looking item and I can't imagine the GE losing much value if any of the other SK titles produced by CD are an example.

I'm passing on this because the artwork didn't appeal to me and I would prefer to spend my money elsewhere.

Fair enough, your money, you spend where you like. I'd point out however that the artwork for the AE and Lettered has not been shown - just the GE.

Kingfan24
04-11-2014, 05:38 AM
Yeah - I own all king gift editions produced by CD :) awesome quality

Frankie
04-11-2014, 06:41 AM
I don't think you can go far wrong value-wise with the GE. They'll undoubtedly be beautiful books, and they're reasonably priced.

And I've come around on the AEs. Set of six number matching books with the same form and production values, limited to 750, traycased with CDs usual high quality standards, of King's early work that is relatively expensive to collect in 1st trade, that you'll be into for around $1500 total. I can see the value there. There was obviously zero chance of King agreeing to sign 4500 of these when he wouldn't agree to sign more than 800 TWTTK.

Lettered edition I still think is nuts, but they sold the hell out of em, so what do I know. :)

LostAlivE
04-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Brian you have any idea if you will be doing something special for "The Stand"? Like a Bible version of it or anything on those lines? Do us proud Brian!!!

Brian James Freeman
04-11-2014, 07:14 AM
I had posted this over at the Stephen King Collector forum in response to a question about whether we'll see more overlap of editions in the future, and I thought it might be useful to post here as well:

My guess is that you're not going to see a lot of overlap in the future, although there has been more of the US vs UK special edition overlap these last few years because they're two different rights markets and Steve's UK publisher has been dabbling in their own special editions.

This Doubleday Years set is something we've wanted to make happen for a very long time, and the only way for it to be a complete set of the Doubleday titles was for there to be some overlap in terms of titles that already had Limited Editions.

We're not trying to replace the previous (and beautiful!) editions of The Stand or The Shining, and we're not battling it out with PS Publishing over Carrie or Pet Sematary. (Pete will tell you that we're his biggest fans!)

But we've always wanted to produce our own special editions of these very important books, which launched Steve's career into the stratosphere, and we hope the collectors who do buy them are pleased with the presentation/production values we have planned.

Brian

webstar1000
04-11-2014, 07:15 AM
I am willing to bet that CD will go above... far above on quality.... and why??? Because King did not sign it.... this will be over the top amazing. I bet you...

Papaseraphim
04-11-2014, 09:27 AM
I would LOVE to see 'Salem's Lot illustrated by Barry Moser. His work on Dracula, Frankenstein, Moby Dick and many more was amazing!

webstar1000
04-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Well guys... I did it. I bought the tray cased Artist. I love tray cases... ESPECIALLY the ones done by CD. I think the work they will do on the Stand and Salems will be epic cause they have LARGE shoes to fill. CD will be judged by those books during this series... and they will be highly sought after. I now have a guarantee of one at issue price. Will a matching set be worth more??? Tell the truth I don't give a shit... they are gonna look some friggin good on my shelf all lined up and my OCD will be quieted knowing the numbers match. I am going to get King to sign it someone... then I can shut up about King signing a S/L Carrie. LOL Big thanks to Brian for convincing me and Mindy for helping me out. Can't wait to see what is next... BRIAN BLOW US AWAY... make the haters regret not jumpin in:) Thanks!

herbertwest
04-12-2014, 02:03 AM
I had posted this over at the Stephen King Collector forum in response to a question about whether we'll see more overlap of editions in the future, and I thought it might be useful to post here as well:

My guess is that you're not going to see a lot of overlap in the future, although there has been more of the US vs UK special edition overlap these last few years because they're two different rights markets and Steve's UK publisher has been dabbling in their own special editions.

This Doubleday Years set is something we've wanted to make happen for a very long time, and the only way for it to be a complete set of the Doubleday titles was for there to be some overlap in terms of titles that already had Limited Editions.

We're not trying to replace the previous (and beautiful!) editions of The Stand or The Shining, and we're not battling it out with PS Publishing over Carrie or Pet Sematary. (Pete will tell you that we're his biggest fans!)

But we've always wanted to produce our own special editions of these very important books, which launched Steve's career into the stratosphere, and we hope the collectors who do buy them are pleased with the presentation/production values we have planned.

Brian

I personnally think that, despite the fact that you guys are sort of competing together, it would be great and make "sense" if CD was to help PS Publishing to sell their copies when you're copies are sold out.
For instance, by mentionning THEIR copies on the website or something like this.

Brian James Freeman
04-12-2014, 05:19 AM
I personnally think that, despite the fact that you guys are sort of competing together, it would be great and make "sense" if CD was to help PS Publishing to sell their copies when you're copies are sold out.
For instance, by mentionning THEIR copies on the website or something like this.

I like that idea. I suspect, although I haven't asked Pete, that his edition is doing pretty well for him. We sold the copies of his edition that he allotted us in no time at all, so I bet his other retailers saw the same thing and he's doing well through his own store. Just a guess, though! He has a lot of collectors who plan on getting the complete anniversary set through him, I bet. Should end up being a very nice set.

Brian

stroppygoblin
04-12-2014, 05:37 AM
How many are PS doing? (looks at lack of space on bookshelf and sighs)