PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89

herbertwest
03-31-2009, 06:21 AM
before doing SOD 3 and more, they have the second to deal with... lol

I could email it, but... i am not a good customer : only bought them the SOD1 and doesnt have a 2nd waiting.. i'll ask them all the mentioned questions though...

carlosdetweiller
03-31-2009, 06:27 AM
I suppose we should be seeing issue #60 soon.:orely:

Cemetery Dance #60 is due back from the printer in about six weeks......- Richard Chizmar, 02/16/09:

Yes. And the long awaited and coveted GRAVE TALES #6 comic book just came out. So at least there is that.

CRinVA
03-31-2009, 09:31 AM
So i got a couple of emails from CD Pubs in the last week. the last one bothers me. Its them taking orders to resell Knowing Darkness: Artists Inspired by Stephen King. they are now taking orders for the asking price of $250. But isn't Jered taking orders till 5/5/09 at a discout of something like $195. This is so wrong!

I really want this book, but finances are not looking great right now - kids, college and paycuts Oh My!!!!!

Maybe if I sell a fw items I'll jsut leave the money in Paypal and let it build up to be able to buy jered's new book without taking a hit on the chekcing account. Those hits don't sit well with the boss! :-)

I have UK editions of DT VI and VII, anyone know what they are worth?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-31-2009, 10:20 AM

Only £5 each!

jhanic
03-31-2009, 10:50 AM
So i got a couple of emails from CD Pubs in the last week. the last one bothers me. Its them taking orders to resell Knowing Darkness: Artists Inspired by Stephen King. they are now taking orders for the asking price of $250. But isn't Jered taking orders till 5/5/09 at a discout of something like $195. This is so wrong!

Bob, this is a common practice of theirs. They are also taking orders for Under the Dome for the list price (whereas it's available on Amazon for $23.10) of $35. And you get to pay up front too! Such a deal! :P

John

CRinVA
03-31-2009, 11:54 AM
John,

Yeah I know - I think I only bought a book from them once that was from another publisher and I paid the MSRP - who pays MSRP these days - to get in on a contest; ironically I won an ARC of one of Rocky Wood's books. Today i get all my First Editions from BJs or Amazon.

Another intersting fact about CD Pubs; I have watched theie auctions over the last couple of years and they ALWAYS sell at a Premium; I see items that they sell that a week earlier some individual tried to sell and only got half what CD got on theirs. Just amazing!

e_taylor
03-31-2009, 12:18 PM
haha its called shill bidding! And evidently they are masters of it as they haven't been kicked off eBay.

PlayPhish
03-31-2009, 12:23 PM
I canceled my orders for The Concordance Lettered and SOD II S/L recently. I did get the money credited to my card, so that's good. I'm preparing to do battle over the SOD I & II Lettereds next. I'm going to try through my Amex Gold Card since I haven't gotten anywhere with Mindy. She just keeps telling me I WILL get them. :wtf:

Cutter
03-31-2009, 12:24 PM

Only £5 each!

If your selling them in the US and they're firsts I wouldn't take under $35. They're really beautiful books.

And believe it or not, after complaining about CD all last year, I'm going to say something that is not negative. CD has been doing an ok job so far this year. They've put out 6 books (The non-fiction was sent to me a couple of days ago, who hoo!), one magazine, and one comic. They've also caught up on some Lettereds, as I received Wild Things last month, and I assume that wasn't the only Lettered they got caught up on. This first quarter is probably the most productive quarter by Cemetery Dance in about 2 years. So hopefully things are getting better.

Cutter
03-31-2009, 12:28 PM
John,Another intersting fact about CD Pubs; I have watched theie auctions over the last couple of years and they ALWAYS sell at a Premium; I see items that they sell that a week earlier some individual tried to sell and only got half what CD got on theirs. Just amazing!
They have a few thousand (if not more) people on their mailing list. I wish I could send out that type of list to tell people what I'm selling on eBay. Subterranean press does the same thing and their auctions sell fast as lightning.

btw, talking about Sub Press they put up some auctions and are donating 30% of the proceeds to the Haven Foundation. I bought a Lucius Shepard double novella I was on the fence about buying, but since it helped the Haven Foundation I jumped in and bought it!

Matt
03-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Great of them to do that. I wish it was 100% of the sale but I understand folks can't do that. :lol:

CRinVA
03-31-2009, 12:53 PM

Only £5 each!

If your selling them in the US and they're firsts I wouldn't take under $35. They're really beautiful books.

And believe it or not, after complaining about CD all last year, I'm going to say something that is not negative. CD has been doing an ok job so far this year. They've put out 6 books (The non-fiction was sent to me a couple of days ago, who hoo!), one magazine, and one comic. They've also caught up on some Lettereds, as I received Wild Things last month, and I assume that wasn't the only Lettered they got caught up on. This first quarter is probably the most productive quarter by Cemetery Dance in about 2 years. So hopefully things are getting better.

Thanks Geoff, yes they are beautiful books - maybe I'll try ebay and then again maybe I'll try and sell of a bunch of the duplicate magazines I have -

Sam
03-31-2009, 01:45 PM

Do I understand correctly that you received your copy of Stephen King: The Non-Fiction? The actual book? Not an ARC or something like that?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-31-2009, 02:11 PM
I was being generous when I said £5 each for UK DTIV & DTVII. Most of them go for less, and most don’t sell.

£3.00 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEPHEN-KING-THE-DARK-TOWER-VII-1ST-H-B_W0QQitemZ220381959226QQihZ012QQcategoryZ377QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

£1.99 Unsold http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Wolves-of-Calla-The-Dark-Tower-By-Stephen-King_W0QQitemZ310130080892QQihZ021QQcategoryZ377QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

£3.99 Unsold http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stephen-King-Dark-Tower-The-Dark-Tower_W0QQitemZ220379843507QQihZ012QQcategoryZ377Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

£3.99 Unsold http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stephen-King-Wolves-Of-The-Calla-The-Dark-Tower_W0QQitemZ220379837385QQihZ012QQcategoryZ377Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

pixiedark76
03-31-2009, 02:27 PM
cemetery dance has pissed me off in the past also! I hate waiting for their books! :pullhair:
I am glad I did not get the Lettered Editions, I thought I had a long wait for the Gift Editions!

Cutter
04-01-2009, 05:14 AM

Do I understand correctly that you received your copy of Stephen King: The Non-Fiction? The actual book? Not an ARC or something like that?

No not the book, but I received the email saying that it's been sent.

Am I wrong in this and it must have been another book which I construed as The Non-Fiction? Has anyone else received the email from Mindy saying it's been shipped?

Cutter
04-01-2009, 05:27 AM
I was being generous when I said £5 each for UK DTIV & DTVII. Most of them go for less, and most don’t sell.

£3.00 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEPHEN-KING-THE-DARK-TOWER-VII-1ST-H-B_W0QQitemZ220381959226QQihZ012QQcategoryZ377QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

£1.99 Unsold http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Wolves-of-Calla-The-Dark-Tower-By-Stephen-King_W0QQitemZ310130080892QQihZ021QQcategoryZ377QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

£3.99 Unsold http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stephen-King-Dark-Tower-The-Dark-Tower_W0QQitemZ220379843507QQihZ012QQcategoryZ377Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

£3.99 Unsold http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stephen-King-Wolves-Of-The-Calla-The-Dark-Tower_W0QQitemZ220379837385QQihZ012QQcategoryZ377Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yea that's the UK, and they are not worth much. In the US it's a different story. Just to order a new book from Amazon.co.uk like Just After Sunset after monetary conversion and shipping it's $40 or so to get a pristine new copy to the US, whereas in the UK it'll cost you 10 pounds or something. People in the US will pay that, people in the UK will not pay that much. We're talking about apples and oranges here.

But as you've proved someone can get a copy for 4 pounds, add 8 pounds for shipping and someone from the US can get one from the UK for about $20 from winning one of the 4 pound auctions.

jhanic
04-01-2009, 05:41 AM
CD shows SK: The Non-Fiction still as "Forthcoming At the printers now!".

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/wood02

John

Ari_Racing
04-01-2009, 07:18 AM
I received Legacies and Secretary of Dreams II Lettered today!

Now THAT'S APRIL'S FOOL! :D

lophophoras
04-01-2009, 07:39 AM
LOL...so cruel.

Cutter
04-01-2009, 08:46 AM
I must be wrong, but I could of sworn I got the email for The Non-Fiction. If I come up with anything when I get off work I'll post it, If not then it must have been some other book.

Fsmdr
04-01-2009, 08:51 AM
I have the same email as you did, Guthrie.

This email is to notify you that Stephen King: The Non-Fiction will be shipping soon. When the item ships you will receive a shipping confirmation email with the tracking information.

The books are in our warehouse and our slipcase maker has notified us that he will be completing work on the slipcases very soon. There are two reasons we are contacting you today.

1. We would like to confirm any requests for specific numbers. If you have already requested a specific number or if you would like to request a specific number for your copy of Stephen King: The Non-Fiction, please reply to this email with your request. We will try to fulfill your request to the best of our abilities.

Note : Notice it says 'shipping soon' so still has not shipped yet. Geez...enough with the update. Just ship the darned book, already!.

Gris
04-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Just got this in the mail from them today...

http://www.allgris.com/temp/neconarc.jpg

Cutter
04-01-2009, 09:39 AM
I have the same email as you did, Guthrie.

This email is to notify you that Stephen King: The Non-Fiction will be shipping soon. When the item ships you will receive a shipping confirmation email with the tracking information.

The books are in our warehouse and our slipcase maker has notified us that he will be completing work on the slipcases very soon. There are two reasons we are contacting you today.

1. We would like to confirm any requests for specific numbers. If you have already requested a specific number or if you would like to request a specific number for your copy of Stephen King: The Non-Fiction, please reply to this email with your request. We will try to fulfill your request to the best of our abilities.

Note : Notice it says 'shipping soon' so still has not shipped yet. Geez...enough with the update. Just ship the darned book, already!.

Ah thanks that is the email I got, so I'm not just making things up. lol

btw, the front page of CD now has The Non-Fiction posted and says it's shipping next week!

jhanic
04-01-2009, 09:46 AM
I just got the email also. After some of you say you've received your copies, I'll probably be ordering the trade hardcover. I already have the ARC, and I don't really want a signed limited edition.

<edit> I guess I'll be getting one of the slipcased ones. Somehow I thought there was just a cheaper trade edition.

Gris, I've got one of those coming to me also. It should be in my hands sometime next week at the latest.

John

Ari_Racing
04-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Congratulations, Gris! Pretty cool! :)

carlosdetweiller
04-17-2009, 02:55 PM
I just bought a copy of STEPHEN KING: THE NON-FICTION by Rocky Wood and Justin Brooks for $49.99 on eBay. It retailed for $75 through Cemetery Dance. Has anyone been able to get a cheaper copy yet?

Patrick
04-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Good deal, Bob!

jhanic
04-17-2009, 04:02 PM
I just bought a copy of STEPHEN KING: THE NON-FICTION by Rocky Wood and Justin Brooks for $49.99 on eBay. It retailed for $75 through Cemetery Dance. Has anyone been able to get a cheaper copy yet?

I just did the same as you.

John

carlosdetweiller
04-17-2009, 04:08 PM

John

I think it is a really good deal. Her eBay ID is katharath and she says she has multiple copies.

jhanic
04-17-2009, 04:09 PM
That's the one!

John

Sam
04-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Damn you, damn you both!!!! I ordered the damn thing two years ago, waited for two years, and paid, oh wait. I didn't actually PAY for the entire book. I used store credit for $50 worth of it as I recall. Never mind.:wtf:

texgunslinger
04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I just sent an email cancelling my two outstanding orders, one of which is SOD I Lettered. We'll see how efficiently the refund process goes.:arg:

Ari_Racing
04-27-2009, 04:21 PM
If you don't get a reply email them and tell that you're going to contact King's office.

That worked for me.

divemaster
04-27-2009, 05:06 PM

John

I think it is a really good deal. Her eBay ID is katharath and she says she has multiple copies.

I just picked up this copy (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=120408656197) for $37.50. As new. The item description says slipcased, although it is not shown in the photo. I was the only bidder. There must really be no demand for this book. I'm glad to get it, though.

carlosdetweiller
04-27-2009, 05:36 PM

John

I just picked up this copy (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=120408656197) for $37.50. As new. The item description says slipcased, although it is not shown in the photo. I was the only bidder. There must really be no demand for this book. I'm glad to get it, though.

I think it is a really good book and you got a nice price on it. But, as you said, there is not much demand. Especially with 2000 copies printed. Think what it will sell for in two years.

carlosdetweiller
04-27-2009, 05:39 PM
I just sent an email cancelling my two outstanding orders, one of which is SOD I Lettered. We'll see how efficiently the refund process goes.:arg:

I think it will go OK for you with only the two books preordered. Keep us posted.

texgunslinger
04-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Thanks! I'll give an update when I get a reply.

pixiedark76
04-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Did anyone order Stephen King Goes To The Movies? Did anyone get their copy yet? I ordered it off of Cemetery Dance. I got e-mails from Subterranean Press saying that all the copies have been shipped. I go on Cemetery Dance website and it says "Forthcoming"

WTF :wtf:! I do not get it! I WANT MY BOOK! :panic: I am sick of Cemetery Dance and all the crap that they pull! No other publishing website has ever given me any type of trouble! I think this is the last book I will ever order from Cemetery Dance!

jhanic
04-30-2009, 02:10 PM
I think this is the last book I will ever order from Cemetery Dance!

Not a bad idea. The only time I pre-order from them is when I want a matching number for a signed limited (Secretary of Dreams 2). Otherwise I avoid them like the plague.

John

Patrick
04-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Hi pixiedark,

Here is the Stephen King Goes to the Movies (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=6089) thread. Members will likely post there when they start receiving their books.

jhanic
05-03-2009, 10:56 AM
This was in the latest newsletter from CD:

As we mentioned in our last update, The Secretary of Dreams (Volume 2) by Stephen King has been designed and is being proofread right now, but Glenn Chadbourne noticed a few places in three of the stories where he could squeeze in even more artwork and asked if we'd mind. Since the signature sheets are still in the works and the interior isn't set for the printer, we told him to go for it!

This week Glenn turned in THIRTEEN MORE illustrations for "The Monkey" and he's already working on more for the other stories. You can see some samples of just a few of these illustrations in this special new art gallery on our website:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/Graven09

There will be HUNDREDS of illustrations in the final book, but we just wanted to give you a taste of what's to come. Here is the link to the previous preview pages we've posted:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/Graven06

I just wish they'd publish the thing and not keep adding art. It's been almost two years!

John

Patrick
05-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I agree, John. Although they say the additional artwork is not the hold up, I wish they would just get on with getting the book out.

Ari_Racing
05-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Well..I'm off the email chains they sent. I really don't want more excuses and promises, so what's the point of receiving an email that will piss me off?

Patrick
05-03-2009, 01:34 PM
But Ari, if you're off the email lists, how will you know when to spend your money on the next announcement of books to be imminently released?

:doh:

jhanic
05-03-2009, 03:03 PM
:rofl:

John

tippy4
05-03-2009, 03:18 PM
You guys hit the nail on the head. I could really give a rat's ass about more Glen Chadbourne artwork. Give me my god damn books and stop updating me with useless information.

I think I am done with them. I would be better off just keeping the money in the bank and earning interest, and then buying the book for a 20% premium on ebay when (if) it is finally released.

My bank is FDIC insured. If CD goes out of business, I am screwed.

Cutter
05-04-2009, 12:06 PM
well I got this in my email box today from Lonely Road Books, which is basically a high line CD, run by CD.

All of the paperwork has now been signed and we're preparing to announce our next project very soon. We've actually had this one secretly in pre-production for a while, but now that everything is in order, we can really get moving. We cannot say what this project is just yet, but it's certain to be the most exciting Lonely Road Books project to date. In fact, we expect such high demand among collectors that this book will be the first LRB title to also be published as a collectible, unsigned slipcased Gift Edition (since most collectors will miss out on the signed editions). Think of Cemetery Dance's Gift Editions of From A Buick 8 or The Secretary of Dreams, or Donald Grant's Gift Edition of Desperation, and you'll get the idea what kind of special unsigned edition we're looking to create.

I hate to say it, but the only author CD has ever done Gift Editions for is Stephen King. I have a sneaking feeling this might be a King book.

jhanic
05-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Interesting!

John

e_taylor
05-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Didn't Bev confirm that it wasn't a King book a few months back?

Ari_Racing
05-04-2009, 12:41 PM
I didn't unsubscribe from LRB. I receive emails from the publisher once every 3 or 4 months, so that's okay.

Clacke
05-05-2009, 12:54 AM
well I got this in my email box today from Lonely Road Books, which is basically a high line CD, run by CD.

All of the paperwork has now been signed and we're preparing to announce our next project very soon. We've actually had this one secretly in pre-production for a while, but now that everything is in order, we can really get moving. We cannot say what this project is just yet, but it's certain to be the most exciting Lonely Road Books project to date. In fact, we expect such high demand among collectors that this book will be the first LRB title to also be published as a collectible, unsigned slipcased Gift Edition (since most collectors will miss out on the signed editions). Think of Cemetery Dance's Gift Editions of From A Buick 8 or The Secretary of Dreams, or Donald Grant's Gift Edition of Desperation, and you'll get the idea what kind of special unsigned edition we're looking to create.

I hate to say it, but the only author CD has ever done Gift Editions for is Stephen King. I have a sneaking feeling this might be a King book.

The first thing I thought of when reading the email was also, 'a King book'. But if it's not King, what others authors are out there with the selling power that CD would feel confident enough to produce and sell enough of an unsigned gift edition beyond the S/L and lettered?
Barker? McCammon? Koontz? New Lumley?
How about the new Joe Hill Novel....?:orely:

e_taylor
05-05-2009, 04:51 AM

The first thing I thought of when reading the email was also, 'a King book'. But if it's not King, what others authors are out there with the selling power that CD would feel confident enough to produce and sell enough of an unsigned gift edition beyond the S/L and lettered?
Barker? McCammon? Koontz? New Lumley?
How about the new Joe Hill Novel....?:orely:

The new Joe Hill seems like a reasonable guess! Bev can confirm, but I seem to remember him saying it wasn't a King book a few months back. But with Joe's growing popularity.... it could just be!

Bev Vincent
05-05-2009, 05:34 AM
8)

Sir_Boomme
05-05-2009, 06:24 AM
ok... i'd like to throw this out into the discussion...just because it's kind of troubled me for a while.

CD sells a life time subscription for all their books.... said lifetime subscription was very expensive...several thousand dollars. the life time subscription contract states it entitles owner to every single numbered limited, trade edition,magazine, and special items(like not for sale signed story pamphlets <= whatever these are called). everything EXCEPT lettered editions and proofs...

then, under the same roof, same website, same ordersite (see latest email), same exact people/employess - a "new press" is opened up... and books are produced under the name lonely road books. NONE of the "new press" books produced are included in the CD lifeime membership....even though i'm pretty sure they are stored on the shelf right beside the "CD produced" books. - ok, maybe brian has his own shelf... but i'm pretty sure they're in the same building.
not even a discount is given to CD lifetime members for the Lonely Road Books.

i've wondered how, as more lifetime memberships continued to be sold over the years... how that'd cut into the final profit margin of CD.

hypothesis equation:

(CD lifetime memberships > than available CD books) / Time = CD produced books < Lonely Road produced books / Time

note, that the authors that have been published under lonely road so far haven't interested me that much, so it's not been a huge issue with me... but if, in the future, all stephen king and joe hill titles start being published under the Lonely Road Logo rather than CD's - i'm going to have a huge issue... since it was king's relationship with CD that was the #1 factor in me shelling out for a lifetime membership.

it's just something that's made me go hmmmm :orely:for a while.

pixiedark76
05-05-2009, 02:08 PM
I sent an email to CD (Mindy Jursck) about Stephen King goes to the Movies. I heard that people who ordered it from other publishers got their copy. We will wait and see if I get a response!

gsvec
05-05-2009, 04:22 PM
In fact, we expect such high demand among collectors that this book will be the first LRB title to also be published as a collectible, unsigned slipcased Gift Edition (since most collectors will miss out on the signed editions).

I don't get that part . . . anyone have insight here? :orely:

Sam
05-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Because they won't be published until most of today's collectors are dead?

e_taylor
05-05-2009, 05:36 PM
In fact, we expect such high demand among collectors that this book will be the first LRB title to also be published as a collectible, unsigned slipcased Gift Edition (since most collectors will miss out on the signed editions).

I don't get that part . . . anyone have insight here? :orely:

Lonely Road operates similar to Grant wherein if you buy the previous book released, you have first right of refusal to the same number of the next book released.

batsker
05-05-2009, 09:09 PM

LMAO! I was thinking the same thing Sam. I'm glad I only have 2 books waiting at CD.

Earth's Militant Mind
05-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Got this offer from CD today:

Now that LEGACIES edited by Richard Chizmar is on track for a late summer
publication, we've heard from a few customers who need financial help and
asked if we could help them pre-sell their copies. After discussing our
options with them, we decided we could sell these copies on their behalf as
our way of thanking them for their support.

This is going to be the most talked about book of the year and a lot of
collectors are going to have a big gap in their collections without it
because it originally sold out so quickly. This title has a very low print
run and each copy is SIGNED BY Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Clive Barker,
George Clayton Johnson, Peter Straub, William F. Nolan, Richard Matheson,
David Morrell, and many of the artists.

Here's how we're selling these handful of copies for our customers:

* These are being sold on a first come, first served basis for a flat fee of
$750 each.

* You can only order through a "secret" link and only if you're one of the
customers we are emailing about this offer today. ** Please do not share
this link with anyone because all other orders will be canceled. **

* Here is that secret link:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/_MINDY0409C

* There will be no text or images on that page, just an "add to cart"
button. Use that "add to cart" button to add the product "Mindy's Link" to
your cart and then checkout like normal.

* If you want to see the cover art, read the sales copies, or view photos of
the signature sheets, visit this page:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/chizmar03

* Because we're selling these on behalf of customers, NO coupons or
certificates may be used toward the purchase price.

* And because this book has not yet been published, your copy will be
shipping from OUR WAREHOUSE, in brand new condition, just like all of our
other customers!

If you have any questions before you order, please reply to this email.
Thanks!

~ Mindy

The book comes in 2 states #'d($200) & L'd($450) funny how the e-mail doesn't say which you would be getting. I love thier books but these people IMO are just shady, even if it was the lettered version I'm not paying a $300 mark up on a book that hasn't even been published. Once I receive the books I already paid for(assuming that ever happens) if I buy another CD book after that it will be on the secondary market.

Patrick
05-06-2009, 12:01 AM
:rofl: Sam FTW!

e_taylor
05-06-2009, 04:21 AM
Thats the biggest scam I've ever seen. Its really deplorable business practices. If customers they bamboozled out of their money are broke they should be refunded the price they paid and they should be offered to the public at the original price. Not marked up to "help customers", which by the way is clearly bullshit. I can't stand CD.

turtlex
05-06-2009, 04:42 AM

David Morrell, and many of the artists..... ( edited out for space )

Um, doesn't say which year.

Nerak
05-06-2009, 05:07 AM
lol

and Bev, fess up, what do you know???

Gris
05-06-2009, 05:11 AM
This isn't the first time CD did something similar. Every other month they send an email "helping a long-time customer" to sell something. The previously mentioned Life-Time memberships is a common one.

wizardsrainbow
05-06-2009, 05:23 AM
ok... i'd like to throw this out into the discussion...just because it's kind of troubled me for a while.

CD sells a life time subscription for all their books.... said lifetime subscription was very expensive...several thousand dollars. the life time subscription contract states it entitles owner to every single numbered limited, trade edition,magazine, and special items(like not for sale signed story pamphlets <= whatever these are called). everything EXCEPT lettered editions and proofs...

then, under the same roof, same website, same ordersite (see latest email), same exact people/employess - a "new press" is opened up... and books are produced under the name lonely road books. NONE of the "new press" books produced are included in the CD lifeime membership....even though i'm pretty sure they are stored on the shelf right beside the "CD produced" books. - ok, maybe brian has his own shelf... but i'm pretty sure they're in the same building.
not even a discount is given to CD lifetime members for the Lonely Road Books.

i've wondered how, as more lifetime memberships continued to be sold over the years... how that'd cut into the final profit margin of CD.

hypothesis equation:

(CD lifetime memberships > than available CD books) / Time = CD produced books < Lonely Road produced books / Time

note, that the authors that have been published under lonely road so far haven't interested me that much, so it's not been a huge issue with me... but if, in the future, all stephen king and joe hill titles start being published under the Lonely Road Logo rather than CD's - i'm going to have a huge issue... since it was king's relationship with CD that was the #1 factor in me shelling out for a lifetime membership.

it's just something that's made me go hmmmm :orely:for a while.

Terry-

I think it is just a way that CD can circumvent its lifetime members. Like you say, there is nothing from Lonley Road that you are dying for, but the trend bears watching. I would be cautious.

Justin Case
05-06-2009, 09:49 AM

$750 each.

other customers!

Thanks!

~ Mindy

The book comes in 2 states #'d($200) & L'd($450) funny how the e-mail doesn't say which you would be getting. I love thier books but these people IMO are just shady, even if it was the lettered version I'm not paying a $300 mark up on a book that hasn't even been published. Once I receive the books I already paid for(assuming that ever happens) if I buy another CD book after that it will be on the secondary market.

Man:beat: I made the egregious mistake of buying this off of a bookdealer (Gargadillo) who went defunct over 10yrs ago but needed to get the money for these books "up front" as per CD request. Now that said bookseller went belly up I ended up lossing my money AND not getting the book. Sometimes it pays to go direct.... but I still don't think this is so with CD and I still like to support the small press dealer if at all possible. BTW, I think the LR book will be Joe Hill and I agree with Sir Broome that this was all engineered to be able to produce books 'outside' the lifetime contract. OK, I feel I may have said too much:panic::excited: :beat:

Rahfa
05-06-2009, 02:32 PM
My two cents on the 'Lonely Road vs. Lifetime Member' debate is they aren't deliberately setting it up to circumvent the lifetime members....I think it's more an attempt to rebrand, considering CD's somewhat sketchy rep...and notice that Lonely Road has generally managed to stick to a good schedule...

However, they ARE screwing lifetime members...like it or not...why not just give you guys a PC copy of the books? They're still going to see the other copies, whether it's Hill or King, and it doesn't really cost them anything...but it would keep a happy customer - especially since the CD publishing schedule has been so lackluster.

So whether it's on purpose or not, it's still lame.

As for this "helping a loyal customer out" line...please...obviously, there have been numerous cancellations over the years and they never resold them...they probably will have 100 or more they can actually sell once it gets printed, and they can take as many orders at $750 that they want....they're probably annoyed that the $200 that was a high price all those years ago is a pretty cheap price today.

I think they've set this whole "secret link" system up to SEEM exclusive and secret, but they aren't going to turn down anybody who is willing to pay $750.

wizardsrainbow
05-06-2009, 06:06 PM
My two cents on the 'Lonely Road vs. Lifetime Member' debate is they aren't deliberately setting it up to circumvent the lifetime members....I think it's more an attempt to rebrand, considering CD's somewhat sketchy rep...and notice that Lonely Road has generally managed to stick to a good schedule...

However, they ARE screwing lifetime members...like it or not...why not just give you guys a PC copy of the books? They're still going to see the other copies, whether it's Hill or King, and it doesn't really cost them anything...but it would keep a happy customer - especially since the CD publishing schedule has been so lackluster.

So whether it's on purpose or not, it's still lame.

As for this "helping a loyal customer out" line...please...obviously, there have been numerous cancellations over the years and they never resold them...they probably will have 100 or more they can actually sell once it gets printed, and they can take as many orders at $750 that they want....they're probably annoyed that the $200 that was a high price all those years ago is a pretty cheap price today.

I think they've set this whole "secret link" system up to SEEM exclusive and secret, but they aren't going to turn down anybody who is willing to pay $750.

Well said!

Randall Flagg
05-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Whether it is CD or Lonely Road-unless it is a new King (not Hill) title, once actually published, the book will be available at or lower than their offering price.

Cutter
05-08-2009, 01:02 PM

$750 each.

other customers!

Thanks!

~ Mindy

I got that same email a few weeks back and they were asking for $399 (not $750) and I balked at that because I know they've had tons of cancellations and they are just selling them at a mark up, not selling them for customers like they said. That rubbed me bad, but this rubs me even worse as they've now jacked the price up to $750.

And btw, the new Lonely Road book is a King book, I just haven't decided if I want to buy it yet, but I've got 24 hours to match my number from previous books in the series.

Ari_Racing
05-08-2009, 01:04 PM
A King book? A new one? A King related one? Come on! Say more! :D

Sam
05-08-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm with Ari, give with the info please.

gsvec
05-08-2009, 03:04 PM
And btw, the new Lonely Road book is a King book, I just haven't decided if I want to buy it yet, but I've got 24 hours to match my number from previous books in the series.
And I now have 24 hours to decide if I want to fork out more $ to CD for the new Lonely Road book. Sure isn't one of those I feel the need to jump on. :orely:

blg
05-08-2009, 03:07 PM
I certainly won't be forking out the money for the lettered edition.

Sam
05-08-2009, 03:08 PM
But what's the book?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Doesn't matter. It will be less than the issue price in 3 months.

Randall Flagg
05-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Doesn't matter. It will be less than the issue price in 3 months.

Precisely. Could not agree more.

Cutter
05-08-2009, 05:05 PM
It's not very exciting, it's Riding the Bullet. You get King's novella and the Mick Garris screenplay. Plus photos of the movie and production notes. King is only signing the Lettered Edition (which I won't buy at $750). Bernie Wrightson is doing the artwork.

Room 217 Caretaker
05-08-2009, 05:17 PM
It's not very exciting, it's Riding the Bullet. You get King's novella and the Mick Garris screenplay. Plus photos of the movie and production notes. King is only signing the Lettered Edition (which I won't buy at $750). Bernie Wrightson is doing the artwork.

I feel a little different about it. I'm tickled that Bernie jumped on this project. I enjoyed the story also.

Look forward to seeing what Bernie has planned for this.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Cutter
05-08-2009, 05:32 PM

I feel a little different about it. I'm tickled that Bernie jumped on this project. I enjoyed the story also.

Look forward to seeing what Bernie has planned for this.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA
I actually liked the story and movie, but there isn't anything new by King, it's more a Mick Garris book, as his stuff is all new.

But I did buy it, as I have all 3 books by Lonely Road so far, and the Clegg one on pre-order, so there's no reason not to have a complete set. I've liked the production job they've done so far with their books: much better than CD.

Sam
05-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Interesting, but I have zero interest in this title. Nevermind if King were sgning the S/L, I still wouldn't want it. Nothing new or special about this release that I see.

Ari_Racing
05-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Actually...I'm probably buying the gift edition. I kinda like wrightson's artwork and I have something with Riding the bullet...have all the editions except the korean one.

Sam
05-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Sounds like this one's right up your alley Ari. Good luck getting the Korean edition too.

tippy4
05-08-2009, 06:57 PM
I too am passing. A year after it is realsed (which I am guessing will be the year 2012), it will be selling for cover price or less on ebay.

I like CD's books, but I am tired of the waiting.

lophophoras
05-09-2009, 03:00 AM
I passed also. I like the quality of work that LR puts into their books, but I just don't have much interest in this one.

I'll get one on the secondhand market as well, if it is something I feel need to have.

Room 217 Caretaker
05-09-2009, 04:03 AM
I too am passing. A year after it is realsed (which I am guessing will be the year 2012), it will be selling for cover price or less on ebay.

I like CD's books, but I am tired of the waiting.

I passed also. I like the quality of work that LR puts into their books, but I just don't have much interest in this one.

I'll get one on the secondhand market as well, if it is something I feel need to have.

I do agree that the limited (not signed by King) and/or the gift edition will be found for publish price or less on Ebay. However, I don't agree the Lettered Edition (signed by King) will be found for less.

:rock: When I found out Bernie jumped on this project, I jumped in myself. I'm pretty sure the Lettered will have some different artwork added.

Ahhhhhhh....The Power of Art

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Brice
05-09-2009, 04:11 AM
Actually...I'm probably buying the gift edition. I kinda like wrightson's artwork and I have something with Riding the bullet...have all the editions except the korean one.

Hanbooks.com It's on sale for $10.42

carlosdetweiller
05-09-2009, 04:32 AM
I do agree that the limited (not signed by King) and/or the gift edition will be found for publish price or less on Ebay. However, I don't agree the Lettered Edition (signed by King) will be found for less.

How many lettereds are they doing? If it is 26 they will probably hold their value but the editions with 52 lettered copies.....not so much.

Room 217 Caretaker
05-09-2009, 05:07 AM

How many lettereds are they doing? If it is 26 they will probably hold their value but the editions with 52 lettered copies.....not so much.

52 Lettered

Now I'm not saying the value is going to go through the roof. I'm saying I don't think the value will drop below publish price. There is more than 52 completest of Kings limiteds, signatures, lettered, etc. in the market.

Unfortunately, I'm one of them :wtf:

Now please excuse me, I'm late for my KA(Kings Anonymous) meeting.

Hello everyone...I'm Ralph.....HELLO RALPH...:wtf:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

e_taylor
05-09-2009, 05:10 AM
Although it is kind of neat, I too won't be buying this one.

As for the future value of the lettered, it will depend on the issue price. If its $500+ I don't think it can hold at that value.

This is what seems to happen with Subterranean Press' lettered editions - theres nothing special about them but they charge $500, way more than the market can handle in the first place. Not to get off topic, but that is ONE thing I have appreciated from CD, their lettered editions are usually only $150-$200 for the simple style editions.

Patrick
05-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Now please excuse me, I'm late for my KA (Kings Anonymous) meeting.

Hello everyone...I'm Ralph.....HELLO RALPH...:wtf:
:lol:

e_taylor
05-19-2009, 10:24 AM
I had only the Complete Concordance still on order with CD and I just canceled that one.

Will update on how long it takes to get a refund.

I figure I'll wait til its released, if ever and then try to find a PC copy of the lettered edition to match the PC copy of the lettered edition of Road to the Dark Tower that I'm on the hunt for.

carlosdetweiller
05-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Did texgunslinger ever tell us how his refund request from the good folks at Cemetery Dance went? Did he get his refund? Did I miss it?

e_taylor
05-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Well, surprise surprise, still no refund. I had a response from Mindy within a few hours telling me she'd "look into it" and haven't heard a word since despite several emails.

What she has to look into I don't know, when I requested my refund I did so by reply to my original (now two year old) order email. Its not like they give an option to not pre-pay so just what is she looking into?

If the $70 will put them under? As pathetic as CD is, I don't think they are in that dire of straits. But I guess if they do this to enough customers its just money remaining in their pockets... so... live and learn I guess.

Rahfa
05-25-2009, 02:32 PM
You'll get refunded eventually, I'm sure, but it's still aggravating while you're waiting...

e_taylor
05-25-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm not concerned that I won't get refunded, I know I eventually will, but you're right, its really frustrating.

They've had my money for two years for a book that was "At the Printer" two years ago.

Then, Mindy has the time to email me back but not to take 30 extra seconds and actually issue the refund.

Ari_Racing
05-26-2009, 05:03 AM
I did it simple: no reply? I emailed back and said that if my refund isn't completed within that week, I'm contacting King's office to let them know.

That WORKS!

e_taylor
05-26-2009, 05:20 AM
I'll give them until Friday and go from there, but if playing hardball is what it takes, then play hardball I will.

Cutter
05-26-2009, 05:51 AM
I did it simple: no reply? I emailed back and said that if my refund isn't completed within that week, I'm contacting King's office to let them know.

That WORKS!
Ari is right. If it is a well known author, then the press (not just CD) does not want the authors fans complaining directly to the author, because it could screw up future endeavors with said author.

e_taylor
05-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Sent another strongly worded email. An $85 refund shouldn't take this long.

Anyone in for a petition to be sent to King's office requesting that he deal with reputable presses in the future?

willie3
06-03-2009, 08:53 AM
I sent an email to CD (Mindy Jursck) about Stephen King goes to the Movies. I heard that people who ordered it from other publishers got their copy. We will wait and see if I get a response!

Latest Subterranean Press News
A Note on STEPHEN KING GOES TO THE MOVIES
June 2, 2009

We’ve heard from customers waiting on a particular seller to start shipping copies of Stephen King Goes to the Movies. Just a brief note to let everyone know that we’re not the hold up. We’re waiting for payment from the seller, and will happily ship them their books as soon as it’s received.

Pixie, any word from CD yet?
Maybe this SubPress release applies to them?

e_taylor
06-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Who else would it be?

I did eventually get my refund, but only after fighting with Mindy and even then they wouldn't refund the shipping that I paid.... two years ago.

To hell with them!

Nerak
06-03-2009, 11:00 AM
they didn't refund the fuckin shipping?!?!? You are shitting me???? You paid for shipping on a book that they didn't ship and didn't give you your money back?!?!?!? I am sorry, I know they are hurting for money, but COME ON!!!!! If someone wants their order refunded, GIVE IT ALL BACK!!!!!

Man...I really need to stay out of this thread! :pullhair:

e_taylor
06-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Its absurd.

I plan on filing a complaint with the BBB in Maryland.

Perhaps anyone else who has been screwed over should do the same... every complaint will cost them time, money and reputation.....

EDIT: BBB seems like a huge hassle. My issue has technically been resolved, and you can't really file a complaint for general business practices.

e_taylor
06-03-2009, 06:45 PM
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/kingCD

Petition asking King to stop publishing with CD.

If it asks you to make an account just click the "x" in the box and it will let you sign without signing up.

Sam
06-03-2009, 08:29 PM
The only problem I have with your petition is that it has books that, while they may be about King, King's office did not have anything to do with the publication of. Those books are Stephen King: The Non-Fiction and Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance. If my information is wrong, someone please correct me, but I know the authors are Rocky Wood and Justin Brooks and Robin Furth. I really feel they should be excluded from your letter to Sai King since he is not the writer. Mind you this is just my opinion and has nothing to do with your feelings toward CD.

e_taylor
06-04-2009, 04:29 AM
They are still examples of their shotty business practices though.

The point isn't necessarily "they fuck up King books", but that they are slow and seem to be at risk of going under. Those two books show signs of serious cash flow problems, and are King-related so as sai King might care about the fans of his that would get screwed over.

Cutter
06-04-2009, 04:59 AM
Well all this shows is our assumptions and speculations about CD and cash problems is true. CD is walking a fine line and they could fail at any given time. When you see publishers with problems like this, it's not a good sign.

e_taylor
06-04-2009, 05:04 AM
My thing is this:

They screwed me around once again when I tried to cancel my last outstanding order.

This is my form of protest. Bitching and moaning doesn't do anything as this thread and many others around the net have shown. I'll leave the petition up for a week, and if theres enough signatures, then I'll forward it to King's office. If theres not enough people who care, so be it - I've done my part.

carlosdetweiller
06-04-2009, 05:23 AM

Latest Subterranean Press News
A Note on STEPHEN KING GOES TO THE MOVIES
June 2, 2009

We’ve heard from customers waiting on a particular seller to start shipping copies of Stephen King Goes to the Movies. Just a brief note to let everyone know that we’re not the hold up. We’re waiting for payment from the seller, and will happily ship them their books as soon as it’s received.

Pixie, any word from CD yet?
Maybe this SubPress release applies to them?

There are a lot of unanswered questions on this thread. I'd still like to know if texgunslinger was able to get his refund from CD.

Does the Subterranean Press note refer to CD? (I think it does) Has anyone who ordered this book through CD received it?

I think it is quite beyond belief that CD won't refund prepaid shipping charges. I'm still shaking my head over that one.

Eric, your petition has the word "publishing" misspelled in the title. I would definitely correct that before sending it on to King's office.

Every day, in every way, I am glad I have no unfinished business with this turd of a publisher.

Ari_Racing
06-04-2009, 05:36 AM
Again, I told Mindy that I'd contact King office if I didn't get a reply (after 3 emails)

That worked for me on the same day. I got a bad email from Mindy saying that nothing good comes when you threat someone...

biomieg
06-04-2009, 06:55 AM
... this thread definitely makes me have second thoughts on my advance payment for SOD vol. 2 (I paid for both volumes at once, not too long ago)...

You guys think I should cancel my order as well?

e_taylor
06-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Thanks for noticing that Bob, its fixed!

Biomeg.... I don't think CD will go under anytime soon, but long term their business model isn't viable. Look at it as if you were asked to invest money into CD Inc - knowing their business model no one in their right mind would invest their money into this company. But, your pre-orders are essentially investments without return (except of course the book) because the money you pay them doesn't go towards producing the book you are buying but to other bills and the back-log of other books. Its a bad model that will eventually collapse when enough people realize whats going on and pull out their "investments".

Personally, I decided to cancel all my orders because usually you can get their books if/when they are released on the secondary market for either less, the same or only slightly higher than issue price.

Nerak
06-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Ari, that doesn't work for everyone. I know someone who told them he was going to be contacting King's office and it still took weeks to get the refund. But I know for a fact that he DID contact Mr. King's office. Don't know if he's heard anything back yet. I will have to check on that.

nyy3723a
06-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Does the Subterranean Press note refer to CD? (I think it does) Has anyone who ordered this book through CD received it?

I got my copy of SKGTTM from CD over a week ago - it wasn't them...

willie3
06-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Does the Subterranean Press note refer to CD?
Has anyone who ordered this book through CD received it?

I got my copy of SKGTTM from CD over a week ago - it wasn't them...

Considering CD is holding just under $1500 of my money,
I am ecstatic SubPress' post wasn't referring to them.

shnnrc01
06-09-2009, 01:01 PM
well ive been mulling over this topic for the last few weeks and i've finally decided to cancel all my pre-orders thru CD. about the same amount as yourself willie3-just under $1500.
i tried calling several times but no one is answering the phone at CD (unlike Grant where its picked up after the 1st ring - good working, girl!!). so i emailed mindy and we will see what happens!

willie3
06-09-2009, 02:51 PM
well ive been mulling over this topic for the last few weeks and i've finally decided to cancel all my pre-orders thru CD. about the same amount as yourself willie3-just under $1500.
i tried calling several times but no one is answering the phone at CD (unlike Grant where its picked up after the 1st ring - good working, girl!!). so i emailed mindy and we will see what happens!

It will be interesting to find out how CD responds.
I'm also curious to see if they refund the shipping charges on the unshipped items. Seems this may be the next line item in their business plan.

Asking for a refund is something I think about every time I receive a pre-ordered book from another publisher.
I just haven't pulled the trigger.

I will not, however, send them one more dime until they start shipping some of the items that have been paid for, some two years ago.
I do not understand how they can keep purchasing the rights to publish books/stories and delay publication this long.
Just doesn't make any sense to me.:orely:

Sorry for the rant, I received a pre-ordered title from SubPress today.

Please keep us posted.

Cutter
06-10-2009, 06:59 AM

I think this thread, and another over at Horror Mall have made quite a few people ask for refunds this past week. I would assume they are getting swamped a little bit with refunds.

I myself emailed Mindy around 8:00 Monday morning asking for $550 back and have yet to hear back.

Randall Flagg
06-10-2009, 03:42 PM
The straw that breaks the camels back for CD may be coming (all of these refunds). It is hard to have sympathy for them, yet I don't want them to go under.
BTAIM, they have had complete control over their destiny for years-thus no one to blame but themselves.

Ari_Racing
06-11-2009, 05:03 AM
I don't think anyone here wants them to go under, but now I don't have any orders with them and don't ask me why, but it pisses me off to receive 2 or 3 emails of "promotions" every week, and read here that they take weeks and weeks to answer an email about a refund. This is easy: Don't keep on offering hundred of things until you have all the orders completed.

lophophoras
06-11-2009, 05:50 AM
I'd hate to see them go under. But like was stated above, their business practices are to blame if they do.

I do have several preorders with them that I would rather not cancel. Therefore, I think I will sit this one out for a while longer to see what happens. Besides, from what I have read here, it is a nightmare trying to get refunds from them anyway. That is something I don't want to deal with at the moment.

I hope I don't get burned.

:orely:

Cutter
06-11-2009, 05:52 AM
The straw that breaks the camels back for CD may be coming (all of these refunds). It is hard to have sympathy for them, yet I don't want them to go under.
BTAIM, they have had complete control over their destiny for years-thus no one to blame but themselves.
Yea, even though their business practices are horrible they are the one small press that continues to put out multiple Stephen King books and have a primary focus on King. There's no other small press out there with such a strong interest in publishing King books. The younger small presses are all publishing new and younger horror authors. If we didn't have CD, I don't know who would have such a strong interest. Sure all of the small presses would all love to publish a Stephen King book, but who would want to do stuff like The Dark Tower Concordance by Robin Furth or try something like The Secretary of Dreams?

Nerak
06-11-2009, 07:22 AM
All King needs to do is give another small press a try. I am sure that there are lots of them who would want to publish King books.
I know, I for one, would love to have the King books that CD does. And I am sure we would get them done in a more reasonable time frame. But, that's just me talkin!

And I do know that one person has contacted Mr. King's office. I don't know if they have heard back from the office yet though.

Ari_Racing
06-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Well, let's compare with Grant Books. Yes...Grant Books announced Little sisters of Eluria in 2004 o 2005, and it was released in 2008. BUT...they start the preorders and charge the book when it was actually about to be released!

wizardsrainbow
06-11-2009, 04:51 PM
I :huglove: Grant Books!

Patrick
06-11-2009, 09:42 PM
I'd hate to see them go under. But like was stated above, their business practices are to blame if they do.

I do have several preorders with them that I would rather not cancel. Therefore, I think I will sit this one out for a while longer to see what happens. Besides, from what I have read here, it is a nightmare trying to get refunds from them anyway. That is something I don't want to deal with at the moment.

I hope I don't get burned.

I could have written this post. I also hope we don't get burned.

Clacke
06-18-2009, 10:28 PM
A worrying post gone up on the Subterranean Press website:

A Note About Stephen King Goes to the Movies

June 18, 2009

Dear Readers:

Subterranean Press is aware that a number of copies of Stephen King Goes to the Movies have been pre-ordered by customers of Cemetery Dance. Cemetery Dance has not met the terms of our initial or revised agreements. We will not be supplying this book to them. If you have any questions about this, please contact Cemetery Dance directly.

Regards,

Bill Schafer

Anybody on here order their King book from Cemetery Dance? And is this the beginning of the end for CD? Hope not. :(

lophophoras
06-19-2009, 02:42 AM

jhanic
06-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Oh, wow. I've got some bad feelings about that!

John

carlosdetweiller
06-19-2009, 04:34 AM

June 18, 2009

Dear Readers:

Subterranean Press is aware that a number of copies of Stephen King Goes to the Movies have been pre-ordered by customers of Cemetery Dance. Cemetery Dance has not met the terms of our initial or revised agreements. We will not be supplying this book to them. If you have any questions about this, please contact Cemetery Dance directly.

Regards,

Bill Schafer

Anybody on here order their King book from Cemetery Dance? And is this the beginning of the end for CD? Hope not. :(

I'm not at all surprised to hear it definitely stated that CD is in arrears on its financial obligations. But didn't someone on here state that they had received a copy of this book from CD?

And I'd still like to hear from texgunslinger on his requested refund from CD.

I'm glad I got out while the gittin' was good.

nyy3723a
06-19-2009, 05:59 AM

June 18, 2009

Dear Readers:

Regards,

Bill Schafer

But didn't someone on here state that they had received a copy of this book from CD?

Yes, that was me. And I don't get it. I recieved my copy from CD. If I still had the shipping invoice I would scan it and post it, but it went into the recycle bin weeks ago. Very strange.

e_taylor
06-19-2009, 06:03 AM
I said this over at the Horror Mall forums, and I'll say it here as well.

I'm probably CD's number one anti-fan. I hate them. I'd be pleased as punch to see their shitty business practices land them in bankruptcy.

BUT - this shouldn't be seen as the beginning of the end. Business deals can fall through for many reasons outside of non-payment. In this case, theres just WAY to many variables.

Will refunding those who pre-ordered hurt CD's cash flow for the next month? You bet. But with the number of refunds they always seem to have to be issuing, they seem to be able to find a way to stay solvent. They'll just put another book up for pre-order and they'll continue the ponzi scheme with this being only a minor set back.

No need to :panic: . Yet.

Clacke
06-19-2009, 06:06 AM

June 18, 2009

Dear Readers:

Regards,

Bill Schafer

But didn't someone on here state that they had received a copy of this book from CD?

Yes, that was me. And I don't get it. I recieved my copy from CD. If I still had the shipping invoice I would scan it and post it, but it went into the recycle bin weeks ago. Very strange.

Perhaps it's not a financial problem at all. Maybe they fell way short of an agreed quota of preordered books.....

Cutter
06-19-2009, 06:25 AM
I hope it's something else. I'm pretty sure most people here have paid for Secretary of Dreams II and we know some have paid for the original Secretary of Dream Lettered. I would like to see everyone on these forums get their books and not get screwed.

texgunslinger
06-22-2009, 08:12 AM
No refund yet.:cry:

Patrick
06-23-2009, 05:45 PM
I hope it's something else. I'm pretty sure most people here have paid for Secretary of Dreams II and we know some have paid for the original Secretary of Dream Lettered. I would like to see everyone on these forums get their books and not get screwed.
Hear, hear!

Cutter
06-24-2009, 11:46 AM
No refund yet.:cry:

I got mine, it took about 2 1/2 weeks ($480.00)

Patrick
07-02-2009, 12:06 AM
The Trade Edition of The Big Book of Necon is now shipping. However the signed editions are not because sig pages are still circulating.

shnnrc01
07-02-2009, 12:48 PM
well i got my refund. all pre-orders accounted for,even shipping,so no complaints there.

Patrick
07-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Congrats on receiving your full refund.

texgunslinger
07-03-2009, 11:36 AM
I have been waiting since May 5. I did receive an email from Brian Freeman promising me it was in the works.

e_taylor
07-03-2009, 12:15 PM
I have been waiting since May 5. I did receive an email from Brian Freeman promising me it was in the works.

Two freakin' months, and the boss has to tell you its "in the works"?

Whats next? They'll send you an exclusive link to pre-order your refund?? (Its at the printer, you know!)

Patrick
07-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Ouch. :lol:

You know the wait's gotta be a cash flow thing.

willie3
07-04-2009, 10:32 AM

Whats next? They'll send up an exclusive link to pre-order your refund?? (Its at the printer, you know!)

The longer I wait,
The more I read of others' experiences,
The dumber I feel for hanging on...

Merlin1958
07-04-2009, 11:11 AM

Whats next? They'll send up an exclusive link to pre-order your refund?? (Its at the printer, you know!)

The longer I wait,
The more I read of others' experiences,
The dumber I feel for hanging on...

Ditto that sentiment!!!

frik
07-05-2009, 09:25 AM
... this thread definitely makes me have second thoughts on my advance payment for SOD vol. 2 (I paid for both volumes at once, not too long ago)...

You guys think I should cancel my order as well?

Welll......:orely:

I ordered, and received, all three states of CD's From a Buick 8. Great book. My first King lettered.
Then I ordered The Secretary of Dreams, vol. 1. Of course, I'm still waiting for the lettered edition. :arg:
When vol. 2 (SoD) was announced, I took the plunge and again ordered all three states.

Like everyone else here, I hate the waiting. The promises that aren't kept. But somehow I'm convinced these (and other) editions will finally be released.

I'll take my chances and won't cancel any orders.

sk

Patrick
07-05-2009, 10:51 AM
At this point, the only remaining prepaid book I have on order with CD is the SOD II signed/numbered. I'm going to let it ride.

texgunslinger
07-06-2009, 01:25 PM
I gave him until July 15 to get me a check. We'll see if a deadline does anything.

I just re-read that last sentence and realized how stupid it is to assume deadlines mean ANYTHING in their world.

Oh well.

Ari_Racing
08-12-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't know if this was posted anywhere, but CD page has the cover of SODII
http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/king03.gif

jhanic
08-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for posting that Ari--not just for the cover but for reminding me that I had just gotten a 50% off code from CD for almost any of their products. I just ordered The Big Book of Necon for a total of $27!

John

Gris
08-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Heh, I just got the same email. Got that LE Riding the Bullet for $35

turtlex
08-12-2009, 01:04 PM
I got the email, too... okay, so what's the best deal over there now, considering the discount?!?

:grouphug:

jhanic
08-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I'd make sure I order (with apologies to Craig) something that's already available. Who knows when Riding the Bullet will really be published?

John

herbertwest
08-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't know if this was posted anywhere, but CD page has the cover of SODII
http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/king03.gif

am sure the cover have been available since awhile... not the book though..

turtlex
08-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Ah. Excellent advice.

Ari_Racing
08-12-2009, 01:28 PM
I got the email as well..still thinking.

Can one order more than one book and get the discount for the total order, right?

Gris
08-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Ari, I understood it to be the entire order.

Eric, no offense taken. I can never afford the books that everyone is waiting for. I have my SOD (signed by everyone) because it was the trade version. I have my Necon, and every other book I ordered except SODII. It really seems that CD screws you proportional to the amount of money you spend with them.

Merlin1958
08-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I have been dealing with CD for over five years and I am sorry to those who feel otherwise but, in my opinion they are the absolute worst publisher on the planet!!!! Whatever they are publishing I would rather pay a premium and buy it on Ebay than give them the satisfaction of a customer purchase.

They have no regard for the customer, and almost no regard for the talent either. They should be out of business if my opinion counted.

P.S.

I ordered and paid for SODII over a year ago!!!

jhanic
08-13-2009, 03:34 AM
I ordered and paid for my SOD II (both s/l and trade) on 7/20/07.

John

e_taylor
08-13-2009, 03:56 AM
Bumping this to bring the discussion in the Necon thread over here and also to bring some good CD news.... for once.

Not sure if anyone has seen the update on their website, but heres a picture of the only forthcoming book I care about anymore from them - The Dark Tower Concordance:

http://i31.tinypic.com/29m3h2a.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/2chnfo1.jpg

Huge, maybe even too huge. But I guess they couldn't make it 2 volumes and jack the price up when they took pre-orders four or five years ago.

Unfortunately I'm waiting for a lettered edition on the secondary market, and surely those will be a lot longer down the road.

turtlex
08-13-2009, 04:28 AM
John wins!

( or loses, depending how you look at it. :orely: )

turtlex
08-13-2009, 04:32 AM
Ha!

Eric, too funny, that's what I ordered from them with the discount !

e_taylor
08-13-2009, 05:06 AM
Yah.... theres still a wait ahead I reckon. It was "At the Printer" for the last two years. Surely they don't demand faster production from their slipcase maker.

Darkmaniscoming
08-13-2009, 05:43 AM
I got a refund from CD two days ago on a pre-order I canceled 5 days ago...
I'm not patient enough to leave my money sitting in somebodys shopping cart with no clear idea of what's going on for any damn item, even if I want it bad....it is a good sign that they refunded me quick though....

lophophoras
08-13-2009, 05:47 AM
I ordered and paid for my SOD II (both s/l and trade) on 7/20/07.

John

Same here John.

Cloysterpete
08-13-2009, 11:39 AM
aah damn I didn't get it, I guess because the only books I bought from them are Shivers 1-4, SOD V1 and maybe one or two others.

Of course it's typical of CD that on page one of my in-box of the 25 messages of page 1, 8 of those are from CD with their amazing deals that aren't a deal offers.

So the one email that would have come in useful to get Necon is the one e-mail I don't get. Aint that typical :pullhair:

Merlin1958
08-17-2009, 12:38 PM
aah damn I didn't get it, I guess because the only books I bought from them are Shivers 1-4, SOD V1 and maybe one or two others.

Of course it's typical of CD that on page one of my in-box of the 25 messages of page 1, 8 of those are from CD with their amazing deals that aren't a deal offers.

So the one email that would have come in useful to get Necon is the one e-mail I don't get. Aint that typical :pullhair:

Of Course, by now, I am both jaded and biased, but God I really dislike these folks and their constant follow-up emails to ship your money out to them for something they may or may not eventually deliver!!!

Feels good to get that off my chest!! lol lol lol

And with that I'm outta here!!

mikeyw
08-31-2009, 08:20 AM
Ari, that doesn't work for everyone. I know someone who told them he was going to be contacting King's office and it still took weeks to get the refund. But I know for a fact that he DID contact Mr. King's office. Don't know if he's heard anything back yet. I will have to check on that.

Got my refund eventually - in several slices and after a great deal of trouble. I did also contact Mr Kings office - I sent them all of the correspondence I had with a lengthy letter asking that they stop using CD - sadly I have never had a reply:cry:, which is a shame.

Nerak
08-31-2009, 09:24 AM
It was a nice letter at that!!!

mikeyw
08-31-2009, 01:29 PM
It was a nice letter at that!!!

I thought so!!

shall I publish it here??!!

Nerak
08-31-2009, 02:21 PM
sure! I enjoyed it!!!

carlosdetweiller
08-31-2009, 04:07 PM
I would like to read it.

Nerak
08-31-2009, 05:46 PM
It's got entertainment value!!!

mikeyw
08-31-2009, 11:37 PM
and here it is. I enjoyed writing it!. Sadly no reply.

Dear Mr King

I do hope you will forgive this correspondence as it is the first time I have ever written to anyone remotely famous, and indeed, someone that I also admire, but I do have a complaint.
As something of a constant reader over the past 30 years or so I have become something of a collector as well as a reader, Nothing too excessive, but I have enjoyed reading and owning the Limited Editions published by the small speciality presses such as your own Philtrum, along with PS Publishing and of course Donald M Grant. Indeed, I was delighted earlier this year to finally conclude my own quest for theDark Tower, when I finally managed to complete my matching set after almost 30 years. Whilst of course it is the stories, (always the stories), I have enjoyed both the art within the Limited Editions, and indeed, the typography and design and work that goes into many of the finer editions, and their scarcity and chasing them down is also all part of the fun.

I was thrilled then, when I managed to secure a lettered edition of the forthcoming limited edition - Secretary of Dreams, from Cemetary Dance Publications. I must confess that I was a little concerned as I havehad an issue with delays with their previous Limited Edition of yours, From a Buick 8, having to resort to a formal complaint via my credit card company, but despite this, I was drawn in by the collecting bug.

I imagine you can see where this is going.....

So, I did (eventually) receive the signed limited edition - a lovely book, but no sign of the lettered, despite promises from CD that it was in hand. It is probably worth noting at this point that with CD all orders must be paid for in full on ordering. So, no book, and now no money. So, despite the fact that they have failed to deliver on the first book, they announce the second Secretary of Dreams - well of course having already 'got' the first lettered, and indeed, actually having 'got' (as opposed the the previous virtual 'got' ) the normal limited edition I sign up for more. Yes, you would have thought I would have seen where this might end, but I was just excited at the prospect of the second lettered edition and really believed that CD would actually deliver. In fairness to them, the first edition of SOD was a good looking edition, so I had very high hopes for the lettered as to date, I had never managed to get any lettered editions.

Anyhow, cutting what has become a long story slightly short (brevity was never my strong point!), further delays and simply a lack of communication from CD began to get me worried - I have attached all my correspondence with CD, where I try to extract accurate information about the likely publication timetable, but simply nothing was forthcoming - false promises, and nothing more.
Ultimately I made the decision, really brought about by a total loss of confidence, and indeed, a very real fear of their demise, that I should ask for a refund.
Whilst not a kings ransom, it still amounted to $4450 - not a small sum, especially in the current climate. More to the point they have had much of this money for months, or indeed, years, and I had no benefit of the items I had ordered and paid for. Lets say that just the lettered edition is 52 copies (usual quantity), and each one was $1000. That is $52,000 of customers money that they have - over 2 editions - thats alot of cash - and not a single customer has anything to show for this......I dont know the law in the USA, but over here their behaviour is tantamount to fraud.

What does this have to do with you - well, as the author, then I assume (dangerous word) that these books have to be approved and sanctioned by you - and these delays really bring this into disrepute, as it sullies your most excellent name. Whilst other publishers in the speciality market suffer delays, this is always tempered by good communication, and of course the fact that they have not charged you up front.

Recently the man in charge of CD made a statement apologising for his lack of focus, and promising to do better - well this is just fine, but he must be sat on (or indeed has spent) hundreds of thousands of dollars of customers money - he should be doing more than just apologising - he should either be delivering what he promised, or giving the money back. Period.

What I think is such a shame is that other publishers do do such a great job - look at Grants work over the years - superb editions, wonderful design and always superb customer service - can I urge you to give more to them as at least we may see them in a realistic time frame, and not be out of pocket while we wait. CD should not be allowed to continue with what is at best sharp practise, and at worst, downright illegal.
As for me - well, I am still waiting for my final refund - CD tells me they have done it - and I've attached what they sent me as proof - I've also attached my own credit card statement to show you that I dont have it - but despite numerous emails, CD are not doing anything about this - so years on from ordering, and months after I asked for my money back, I have nothing - all I wanted was to add to my small collection of your limited editions - books I treasure and stories I love, but I have nothing.

I run a small business myself and if I had behaved like this in the UK I am sure I would quite probably have been subject to a number of legal actions - If I were resident in the USA, then I'm sure I would know what to do, but sadly i'm not, so I just appeal to you for 4 things.

Please please do not allow CD to publish any more of your work - they cannot be allowed to rip your readers off in this manner.
Please allow the quality publishers like Robert at Grant to restore my faith, and rebuild collectors trust and let them have some more work to plan and publish!.

Please can you bring some pressure to bear on CD to deliver the editions that they have so plainly failed to produce (or take them off them and let Grant actually deliver) - obviously I have had a partial refund - I doubt if I will ever get all my money now but hopefully others may at least get a book.
And finally, don't retire just yet and keep the tales coming - despite my absolute annoyance with how CD have and continue to rip customers off my appetite for your work is in no way diminished - I just hope you can make them see that how they work and what they have done is wrong and it must stop.

Very Kind Regards

Michael Whelan

shnnrc01
08-31-2009, 11:51 PM
well said,hope your money comes thru in the end.i know its the books we really want,thats why we happily hand over our hard earned cash,but like yourself i too got a tad worried about their state of health. i luckily got all my money back and will now have to get the books on the secondary market(if they even get released at all). but,at least the money is gathering dust in my account and not theirs.

mikeyw
09-01-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm pleased to say that I did eventually get all my money back - it was just all a real shame as it was quite avoidable i'm sure. Taking money and providing nothing is just theft in my book.

Nerak
09-01-2009, 05:46 AM
Mike, once again, I enjoyed reading it. What a shame you haven't heard anything from them, even the office itself, if not the man.

Well, happy you and Barry got your money back! There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Cheers!

K-

Ari_Racing
10-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Lonely Road Books announced that the special edition of Riding the bullet will be published in 2010, possibly during spring.

And they added some illustrations made by Alan Clark:

http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/images/books/ridingthebullet/AlanClarkArtwork/AcceptingTheRide.jpg

http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/images/books/ridingthebullet/AlanClarkArtwork/TheDeadDriveFast.jpg

http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/images/books/ridingthebullet/AlanClarkArtwork/Fog.jpg

Randall Flagg
10-10-2009, 12:26 PM
I really like the second picture. The 'Frankenstein' necklace lacing is great.

e_taylor
10-10-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm looking for an ARC of "Blood Crazy" by Simon Clark and "Death's Door" by Michael Slade (both CD books). Can anyone here help me out?

tippy4
10-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Looking through some old emails today...I paid for my SOD#V2 in June '07. They have had my $ for 2.25 years now.

They have had my $ for Legacies even longer (although not as long as most, as I bought my copy later...one of the cancelled orders).

Don't recall how long they have had my $ for Big Book of Necon.

lophophoras
10-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Tippy,

I paid for my SD vol. 2 at the same time as you did.

Have you gotten any updates on when this book will be ready? I haven't seen anything in quite some time.

Ari_Racing
10-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Alan Clark told me there's one more illustration for the book but that can't be shown at this time yet.

Ari_Racing
10-12-2009, 10:28 AM
And, on the other hand, the originals and prints are for sale:

http://alanmclark.com/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

The original paintings of these print images as well as the sketches for the paintings, called "studies," can be found using the following link:

http://alanmclark.com/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=21

Patrick
10-12-2009, 09:55 PM
I'd sure like to see the release of SECRETARY OF DREAMS, Volume 2. I don't really care to hear more claims from CD that Chadbourne is doing "even more" art for the book and that that is holding up the entire production.

Ari, I didn't order it, but those are nice pictures for RIDING THE BULLET. I like Alan Clarke's work.

Personally I don't expect to ever again preorder anything from Cemetery Dance nor from any other label they own, such as Lonely Road. I hope to God that there is never an announcement to preorder a SOD, Vol. 3. I don't want to test my willpower against my OCD for a matching number set.

Sam
10-12-2009, 10:11 PM
My OCD would be overridden by my checkbook I think. They have $35 of my dollars. Because it's such a small amount, I'm not terribly concerned about it. If it were more than $100 though, I'd be beyond pissed. As it is, no matter HOW good whatever they produce may be, I won't be buying it from them from here on.

Patrick
10-12-2009, 10:15 PM
What do you have on preorder for $35, Sam?

oy-the-brave
10-12-2009, 10:35 PM
It looks like someone has already purchased one of Alan's paintings from Riding the Bullet, anyone here? And the last painting Ari mentioned that Alan did is a wraparound cover.

lophophoras
10-13-2009, 04:08 AM
I'd sure like to see the release of SECRETARY OF DREAMS, Volume 2. I don't really care to hear more claims from CD that Chadbourne is doing "even more" art for the book and that that is holding up the entire production.

Ari, I didn't order it, but those are nice pictures for RIDING THE BULLET. I like Alan Clarke's work.

Personally I don't expect to ever again preorder anything from Cemetery Dance nor from any other label they own, such as Lonely Road. I hope to God that there is never an announcement to preorder a SOD, Vol. 3. I don't want to test my willpower against my OCD for a matching number set.

I was wondering if they would do a third SOD.

I will probably buy in if they do, even though I know exactly what to expect from them in terms of the time spent waiting to receive it.

I don't have a large sum of money tied up with them, but I would like to get the books I preordered from them years ago.

Sam
10-13-2009, 08:00 AM
What do you have on preorder for $35, Sam?

A book called The Forum. It sounded interesting when I ordered it, um last year I think. Maybe longer than that.

DavidK44
10-13-2009, 08:20 AM
My longest pre-order with CD is the Lansdale collection "The Horror Hall of Fame: The Stoker Winners" limited edition. I set up the order in February of 2006, so we're coming up on four years, now... next in line is the Pelan "Century's Best Horror" compilation, at not quite three years.

That's why I've stopped pre-ordering directly with them, and have decided to go through a bookstore that will pre-order for me, without charging me until the book is in hand.

tippy4
10-13-2009, 08:21 AM

I'm done too.

Next time they announce a SK SL, I am going to take the money that the book would cost me, put it in it's own separate interest bearing account, and by the time the book actually comes out, I will have enough to buy the book on the secondary market at a higher price.

In the end it will still cost me the same, but the odds of CD going out of business while I wait are 1000 times greater than my bank going out of business.

And I could give a rat's ass about more Chadbourne art. I wish they would stop acting like they are doing us a favor by adding more.

Besides, who knows if SK will ever do another book with them again.

e_taylor
10-13-2009, 08:45 AM

I'm done too.

Next time they announce a SK SL, I am going to take the money that the book would cost me, put it in it's own separate interest bearing account, and by the time the book actually comes out, I will have enough to buy the book on the secondary market at a higher price.

In the end it will still cost me the same, but the odds of CD going out of business while I wait are 1000 times greater than my bank going out of business.

And I could give a rat's ass about more Chadbourne art. I wish they would stop acting like they are doing us a favor by adding more.

Besides, who knows if SK will ever do another book with them again.

If I were Chadbourne I'd be pissed too. They are basically blaming him for the delays.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-13-2009, 09:33 AM

You know that will never happen. You will spend it on some other SK SL. :)

lophophoras
10-13-2009, 10:08 AM
My longest pre-order with CD is the Lansdale collection "The Horror Hall of Fame: The Stoker Winners" limited edition. I set up the order in February of 2006, so we're coming up on four years, now... next in line is the Pelan "Century's Best Horror" compilation, at not quite three years.

That's why I've stopped pre-ordering directly with them, and have decided to go through a bookstore that will pre-order for me, without charging me until the book is in hand.

I think I placed my order for "The Century's Best Horror" back in 2005/2006, so it is the oldest order I have pending with them.

Chooch
10-14-2009, 08:33 AM
I personaly will never buy from CD again. I dint care what it is or what it cost. When I get my SODII s/l + Gift edition I'm done. I will just get anything on the secondary market

Oh and by the way...Greetings and salutations..I'm back !! My heli flying days are soon to come to a close so that means you all get me for the winter :lol:

Patrick
10-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Welcome back, Chooch!

Sam
10-14-2009, 09:12 PM
and may the gods have mercy upon us!! ;) :P

texgunslinger
10-15-2009, 12:45 PM
FWIW I did finally get my refund for SOD I Lettered and SOD II S/L.

No more pre ordering for me either.

Patrick
10-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Congrats on receiving your refund, Tex.

turtlex
10-15-2009, 01:51 PM

Congrats on receiving your refund, Tex.

Yeah, it sure is nice to see Cemetery Dance delivering something. :D

carlosdetweiller
10-15-2009, 02:01 PM

I'm glad you got the refund. How long did you have to wait?

texgunslinger
10-16-2009, 06:15 AM
About 5 and 1/2 months. Not very good.

Chooch
10-16-2009, 07:32 AM
But yet every day I receive a "special" promo that they have going on and there is always "...just a few left, so hurry and order". :scared:

gsvec
10-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Interesting item from CD . . .

Important Lettered Edition Update

We have a bit of a backlog on our Lettered Editions, but we didn't want to post an update until we had more definitive information for our customers.

About six months ago, we placed a very large order with our traycase maker, who started work and then went out of business with a lot of money (not just ours, but other presses, too) and a lot of unfinished cases.

While we've been dealing with that situation, we have found another traycase maker to start work on the projects all over again. It's going to take him some time, though, so we'll have more specific updates on each project early next year.

Thanks to everyone for your patience while we get these finished.

Sam
10-16-2009, 10:17 PM
It's been a LOT longer than six months that the Lettered SOD I was supposed to be published, so is that the best they got?

Room 217 Caretaker
10-17-2009, 03:48 AM
It's been a LOT longer than six months that the Lettered SOD I was supposed to be published, so is that the best they got?

That issue with the traycase company has been going on for a lot longer than six months and it's affecting many publishers in the industry including Sub Press.

Lettered Locke & Key for example from Sub Press has been on order since 07.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Rahfa
10-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Early next year? Before even any "specific updates?"

I am soooo glad I have long since cancelled any CD orders, and won't be pre-buying from them again.

carlosdetweiller
10-17-2009, 07:40 AM

I am soooo glad I have long since cancelled any CD orders, and won't be pre-buying from them again.

Anyone who preorders any books from CD or has any outstanding orders with them should have their head examined.

Room 217 Caretaker
10-17-2009, 07:46 AM

Anyone who preorders any books from CD or has any outstanding orders with them should have their head examined.

:cyclops: I'm scheduled for a head exam on Monday.....wish me luck :wtf:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

tippy4
10-17-2009, 09:09 AM

You know that will never happen. You will spend it on some other SK SL. :)

You know what...I seriously think I am going to do exactly what I jokingly mentioned above...just to prove a point. That is...if CD ever does another King SL again.

Sam
10-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Not a bad idea Tippy. Espesically when you figure I get 0.5% on my regular savings account. I've had $5 in there for a LOOOOOOOONG time and it's currently up to $5.12.

frik
10-17-2009, 12:59 PM

:D

Both lettered SoD plus some others...

sk

mikeC
11-05-2009, 06:51 AM
sooooo....this book should be shipping soon right?

Randall Flagg
11-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Wrong.

Brice
11-05-2009, 07:35 AM
...unless your definition of soon is VERY broad. :lol:

Patrick
11-05-2009, 11:11 AM
What a coincidence that I was thinking of this book on my commute into work today.

Has anyone heard any alleged updates lately?

lophophoras
11-05-2009, 11:26 AM
I checked their site and there aren't any current updates on it.

They are still saying it should be a end of the year release like it was with SOD I.

Brice
11-05-2009, 07:08 PM
They did not however specify which year they were referencing in that statement.

willie3
11-05-2009, 08:42 PM
The last update from CD I remember explained that their slipcase manufacturer had gone under owing them money and cases.
Seems to me Miss Mindy said something about spring, although I don't recall her mentioning SOD II specifically.
Back to Brice's point about what year it will be published.

gsvec
12-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Just got this from CD:

All of the artwork for The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two) by Stephen King is now in place, the book has been proofread, and the signature sheets have been completed. Everything is ready for the printer, but after discussions with King's agents, this title is being re-scheduled as a spring 2010 publication. This change was made to accommodate the release of Under the Dome. Also, we recently revamped our website a bit and all of the sample artwork can now be viewed on this one page:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/2009/10/20/samples-of-sod-volume-two/

jhanic
12-05-2009, 10:15 AM
"Spring 2010", huh? I'll believe it when I see it. (I'm betting it'll be AT LEAST Fall, 2010.)

I ordered my copy in July, 2007.

John

SkippyD023
12-05-2009, 10:38 AM
What does the release of Under the Dome have anything to do with publishing this book? They have had our money for over two years, give us the damn book!!!

Patrick
12-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Changing the release to separate it from UTD would make sense if the book were actually going to be for sale, but the Limited and Lettered editions were all sold out and paid for eons ago. They should ship them as soon as possible.

The only edition for which this move could possibly be at all meaningful is the gift edition.

Personally I think this is a bit of shenanigans on the part of CD - using someone else as the scapegoat for yet another delay in delivering product.

jhanic
12-05-2009, 02:05 PM
I completely agree, Patrick.

John

willie3
12-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Yea, this excuse seems to be pegging my BS Meter.

Karl

Rahfa
12-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah...it's got nothing to do with it.

In fact, from CD's perspective, it would help hugely to be able to piggy-back on SK's publicity push for a book with a tiny sales run...they NEED the publicity that UtD generated.

So, no, they are obviously not on schedule, and this announcement likely has zero to do with UtD or anything other from SK's perspective.

Randall Flagg
12-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Example of CD delays:
Issue #62 arrived two weeks ago. (BTW a great issue, really interesting stories and contributor pieces)
Upthread there is a 'mea culpa' quote from Richard Chizmar in which he committed to prompt publishing of the magazine.
In his 'Words From The Editor' Chizmar mentions issue #63 as the 'Halloween Special'
I hope issue #63 isn't the Halloween 2010 publication.:orely:

oy-the-brave
12-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Just got this from CD:

All of the artwork for The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two) by Stephen King is now in place, the book has been proofread, and the signature sheets have been completed. Everything is ready for the printer, but after discussions with King's agents, this title is being re-scheduled as a spring 2010 publication. This change was made to accommodate the release of Under the Dome. Also, we recently revamped our website a bit and all of the sample artwork can now be viewed on this one page:

This may be the final straw for me I still have 4 or 5 books on order including SODII, but this statement defies any logic, and sounds like a complete lie, does anyone believe this actually happened?

Patrick
12-05-2009, 11:24 PM
I don't think it's a complete falsehood...
_____

Dear King's Agents,

What with your big promotional push for UNDER THE DOME, would you like us to delay our release of SOD II? It would really be no problem.

Love,
CD
______

Dear CD,

Now that you mention it, sure, why not? Go for it.

Sincerely,
King's Agents

_____

Voila': "...after discussions with King's agents, this title is being re-scheduled as a spring 2010 publication. This change was made to accommodate the release of Under the Dome."

gsvec
12-05-2009, 11:43 PM
:wtf:

Merlin1958
12-06-2009, 03:25 AM
These guys are gonna go under before they ever deliver a blessed thing. I can smell it (and it smells bad, real bad)

Oh and by the way, the last "latest news" item advised that Mindy's PC is down. That should really speed things up!!

:panic:

Merlin1958
12-06-2009, 03:29 AM
But yet every day I receive a "special" promo that they have going on and there is always "...just a few left, so hurry and order". :scared:

Tell me about it. I really think that Bernie Madoff is secretly the CEO, operating from prison!

LOL :wtf:

willie3
12-06-2009, 03:41 AM
I don't know :orely:

Won't the SoDII Spring release date will interfere with the previously announced Riding the Bullet Spring release date?

FLB :angry:

Karl

lophophoras
12-06-2009, 06:20 AM
You guys know they had to put everything on hold to make the UTD traycases for a 2011 delivery...

:evil:

Room 217 Caretaker
12-06-2009, 06:36 AM
Just got this from CD:

:orely: I will see if I can find out anything on this.

The statement doesn't make sense at all. Can King's agent tell a publisher to hold off on a book so it won't conflict? If so, did King's agent tell McSweeney's Issue 33 to be held off?

The masses already know about UTD. In my book it's old news.

I'm confused.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Rahfa
12-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Like I said above, if CD was on the level, they would have fought hard to release it NOW...

Not only to take advantage of the publicity for UtD, but also for Christmas orders.

There is no slightly valid reason that they would hold off releasing a 5,000 print run of a book, for worries that it might "compete" with a 1,000,000 print run.

Never mind that many of those copies are already sold anyway. So the only ones actually being "competed" over are the 3-4K unsold trade editions.

CD could make the argument that they were worried customers might only spend money on one big book, and would choose UtD...that could make slight sense, but again, with only 5K copies - which could be Christmas gifts, that makes no sense either.

Worse than "no information" is clearly sketchy and strange information. But...I have no orders outstanding anyway....

Patrick
12-06-2009, 10:43 AM
I stand by my theory that CD offered to delay the release.

Sam
12-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Sounds very plausible Patrick.

namelessnpoor
12-06-2009, 01:22 PM
I canceled all my orderes with CD a long time ago and gave up on them. I don't order anything from them unless it is something they have in stock already. I am a lifetime chapbook member, supposed to be getting something like 2-3 chapbook shipments a year and i can't even tell you the last time i got one. I don't think i got any in 2009.
Each time i email them about it they say they are working on them. I think i have had that membership for about 3-4 years or longer, and i have about 15 (give or take) chapbooks total !!
They are horrible !!

Rahfa
12-06-2009, 01:36 PM
I stand by my theory that CD offered to delay the release.

I'm sure that's right...but why would they do that? What upside do you think there is?

(Obviously, I don't believe it's ready to ship, and won't be for some time - if ever...do you have a different theory?)

Bev Vincent
12-06-2009, 02:59 PM
To throw some possible light on this speculation -- Barnes & Noble wanted to release my companion on November 10, the same day as UtD. Clearly a bargain book with a print run a fraction of that of King's novel isn't going to put much of a dent in his first day sales. However, a request was made that the publication date be changed to minimize direct competition on publication day, which B&N honored. The fact that the companion was published first didn't matter so much as not having two books launch on the same day.

Rahfa
12-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Well, if they were supposedly going to release SOD II on Nov. 10 I suppose I could see the point...not really, but I could see where they were coming from.

It wouldn't hurt SK in either case...it would have hurt YOUR sales, not his...same with SOD...nobody's going to not buy his brand new release...rather they won't buy the weird limited they've never heard of.

Patrick
12-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Bev, I agree that would be a plausible if this book were not sold out in advance. CD could still ship the Lettereds and Limiteds if they were ready, and hold up production/release of the gift editions a month or two. The limited editions were bought and paid for by customers two years ago. I honestly do not believe that delaying this release until Spring (March? April? May? what?) has anything to do with UTD.

Rahfa, I think they need to delay again for whatever their same reasons ever are (cash flow problems so they can't pay the printer?). This seems like just a convenient, more novel excuse than their usual laundry list of explanations that come with any their SK projects any more.

As much as I'd like to receive my prepaid SOD II, I wish they had not said anything at all rather than this. It's like picking at the scab until it bleeds again.

lophophoras
12-07-2009, 04:58 AM
Bev, I agree that would be a plausible if this book were not sold out in advance. CD could still ship the Lettereds and Limiteds if they were ready, and hold up production/release of the gift editions a month or two. The limited editions were bought and paid for by customers two years ago. I honestly do not believe that delaying this release until Spring (March? April? May? what?) has anything to do with UTD.

Rahfa, I think they need to delay again for whatever their same reasons ever are (cash flow problems so they can't pay the printer?). This seems like just a convenient, more novel excuse than their usual laundry list of explanations that come with any their SK projects any more.

As much as I'd like to receive my prepaid SOD II, I wish they had not said anything at all rather than this. It's like picking at the scab until it bleeds again.

Bingo!

:thumbsup:

Rahfa
12-07-2009, 07:30 AM

Ah...okay. I thought you had a theroy that the delay actually had something to legitimately do with the UtD release date...

I totally agree with you - they are trying to cobble together some money or whatever, and UtD gave them a semi-valid excuse for a delay.

See, if they would charge the cards close to delivery they would be so much better off....then, they get a surge of cash to actually pay for the product. Now, obviosuly, the SOD money is long spent and they have no ability to bring in any cash.

lophophoras
12-07-2009, 07:45 AM
That's not good.