PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Heather19
02-23-2017, 06:13 PM
I'm thinking of making The Terror by Simmons my next read.

Well it's about time... :)
Lol yeah seriously. I've seen the title thrown around so often, the curiosity got the better of me.

I swear I recommended it to you years ago. If not I should have. It's one of my all-time favorite books. I really do hope you read it.

St. Troy
02-27-2017, 09:03 AM
Just finished Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee.

I liked it (as I did TKAM); I enjoy that storytelling style.

Like many others, I suppose my main takeaway was

disappointment in Atticus.

Bottom line: if you liked TKAM, read this (and you probably didn't need me to tell you this).

St. Troy
02-27-2017, 09:04 AM
Just started The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman.

This is another one my daughter happened to have, and since many people rave about Gaiman, I thought I'd give it a try.

St. Troy
02-28-2017, 08:38 AM
Just finished The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman.

My daughter actually has a shelf on one of her bookcases called the "disappointment shelf," dedicated to books that, well, you get it. She had seen quite a bit of heavy praise for this book, and it failed to match the resultant expectations.

I actually had no expectations; I hadn't read the jacket copy or Barnes & Noble blurb etc., so I simply hoped to enjoy it. I did enjoy it, but I didn't think it was a world-changer etc.; (to me) it was just a decent book that wasn't quite good enough to guarantee that I'd read more by that author (although I am likely to try a longer work of his, given the curiosity that his popularity here has created in me). I thought it had interesting things to say about how foreign childhood and adulthood are to each other (in that way, it was like a bite-sized version of It, although the stories told are completely different). I felt like it could've (or should've) gone a bit deeper with some things, but then again, the simplicity of the story (and the relation of one time period to another) possibly means it was best left as it was. Still, I was entertained.

Any recommendations on what longer work of Gaiman's I should move on to next?

St. Troy
02-28-2017, 08:40 AM
Just started The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

sharki69
03-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Starting my first Sanderson novel. Elantris

It's awesome IMO

jsmcmullen92
03-02-2017, 07:33 PM
Starting my first Sanderson novel. Elantris

It's awesome IMO
I am loving it so far. About half way though. Trying to decide it is will jump right into mist born after this or grab a quick King read then go back

Theli
03-03-2017, 06:26 AM
Just finished Moby Dick, odd, slow, but ultimately rewarding, then blasted through The Great Gatsby, which I loved. Now picking up Heart of Darkness and The Complete Slayers by Paul Cain.

wolfehr
03-03-2017, 06:38 AM
Just finished Horns. FANTASTIC book. On par with NOS4A2 and Heart Shaped Box in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsmcmullen92
03-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Just finished Moby Dick, odd, slow, but ultimately rewarding, then blasted through The Great Gatsby, which I loved. Now picking up Heart of Darkness and The Complete Slayers by Paul Cain.

I feel like you are my old English teacher in hiding. I hates all of those books except Great Gatsby. Other one I likes was of Mice and Men and that's all

Just finished Horns. FANTASTIC book. On par with NOS4A2 and Heart Shaped Box in my opinion.

That is my favorite Hill book to date. I loved that one.

Br!an
03-03-2017, 02:53 PM

I never could finish Moby Dick.

Heart of Darkness is very good. You'll have to watch Apocalypse Now again when you're done.

Ricky
03-03-2017, 04:28 PM
In an effort to break out of my 2+ month reading slump, I bought a hardcover copy of Gerald's Game (one of my last remaining SK books to read) for $4. It's in almost new condition and was cheaper than B&N's paperback copy, so you can't go wrong! Hoping to start it this weekend. Then I'll be ready for whenever Netflix decides to release the movie. (Speaking of which, I still haven't seen the adaptation of Delores Claiborne that I've had for a year.)

peripheral
03-03-2017, 04:50 PM
Just finished Paul Tremblay's "Head Full Of Ghosts", prompted after king's glowing recommendation. The premise was good (modern-day exorcism as 'reality TV'), but I was disappointed on several levels: It didn't really explore the potential you could mine behind the values of a modern society and the exorcism (i.e., celebrity, religion, fundamentalism, scientific rationalism - it started to touch on these areas, but nothing significant enough); all of the characters seemed flat (or, at worst, mildly annoying - like the first-person protagonist); and - the book's fatal - it just was not scary. It had the POTENTIAL to do so much more in all of these areas, could have had some terrifying moments, but it didn't.

peripheral
03-03-2017, 05:06 PM
In an effort to break out of my 2+ month reading slump, I bought a hardcover copy of Gerald's Game (one of my last remaining SK books to read) for $4. It's in almost new condition and was cheaper than B&N's paperback copy, so you can't go wrong! Hoping to start it this weekend. Then I'll be ready for whenever Netflix decides to release the movie. (Speaking of which, I still haven't seen the adaptation of Delores Claiborne that I've had for a year.)

Opinion appears to be mixed about Gerald's Game. Personally, I loved it. I think it helps if you read it in as few sittings as possible, so you can dive deep into its quiet build-up of tension. Because the ending, for me, has stuck in my mind over a decade later. Enjoy!

webstar1000
03-03-2017, 05:18 PM

Opinion appears to be mixed about Gerald's Game. Personally, I loved it. I think it helps if you read it in as few sittings as possible, so you can dive deep into its quiet build-up of tension. Because the ending, for me, has stuck in my mind over a decade later. Enjoy!

Agreed!

zelig
03-03-2017, 08:32 PM
Also loved GG.

zelig
03-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Now, see what you did. Got me reminiscing and digging into the archives...

Here's some pictures of a floor display I made in my store back in '92 when the book was released. I just noticed that cool promo item in the background, which unfortunately I don't have anymore. And look at all those minty-fresh UK 1st editions...

http://zelig.io/images/sk/gg1.jpg

http://zelig.io/images/sk/gg2.jpg

Brian861
03-04-2017, 08:07 AM
Pretty cool display, Paul! LOL

RichardX
03-06-2017, 06:36 AM
"The Dark Iceland" series by Ragnar Jonasson. Four books so far in this excellent detective/mystery series set in Iceland. Goldsboro Books carries signed copies.

http://ragnar-jonasson.squarespace.com/

WeDealInLead
03-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Norse Mythology by Gaiman. Well-written but just...silly, maybe? I wish he'd stop already with retelling and reimagining of stories/myths and write his own damned original novel (for adults).

Brian861
03-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Halfway through Horns by Joe Hill and I'm loving it! I don't think I've ever laughed out loud as much while reading. Some sad stuff in there as well though :(

St. Troy
03-17-2017, 09:08 AM
Just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

I enjoyed it; it was simple and moving. It's about a young girl living in Nazi Germany, so comparisons to Anne Frank's Diary of a Young Girl abound but really aren't appropriate.

I thought I would tire of the device of death telling the story in third person, but it didn't intrude on the narrative as I'd feared it would.

St. Troy
03-17-2017, 09:09 AM
Just started The Kennedy Tapes: Inside the White House During the Cuban Missile Crisis by Ernest May & Philip Zelikow. I'm fascinated by the CMC and, as one of the most significant books on the topic, this should be a good one.

jsmcmullen92
03-20-2017, 05:17 AM
Just finished Elantris by Sanderson. I loved the book! Not too much detail but just enough to give great visuals and a wonderful story. I am going to start The Emperor's Soul by him so I can finish off the Selish system before I move onto my first Pratchett.

Girlystevedave
03-21-2017, 08:59 AM
Saturn Run by John Sandford.
I don't know if I should have heard of him before now, but I only randomly picked this book up off the shelf at Walmart because I recently quit a book mid-read and was desperate for some fantastic sci-fi story to quell my thirst. I am really really enjoying this book so far.

jsmcmullen92
03-22-2017, 05:19 AM
I don't know if I should have heard of him before now, but I only randomly picked this book up off the shelf at Walmart because I recently quit a book mid-read and was desperate for some fantastic sci-fi story to quell my thirst. I am really really enjoying this book so far.

For Sci-fi if you have not read the Hyperion Cantos by Simmons you should give that one a shot. For a light fantasy I just finished Elantris by Sanderson and thoroughly enjoyed it.

St. Troy
03-22-2017, 06:17 AM

Ah, John Sandford - author of the first book (Rules of Prey) I ever read that made me say, "I can do better than that."

[Just an amusing FYI; I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from reading Sandford; like anyone else, he's quite good for those that enjoy what he does.]

Girlystevedave
03-22-2017, 07:14 AM

For Sci-fi if you have not read the Hyperion Cantos by Simmons you should give that one a shot. For a light fantasy I just finished Elantris by Sanderson and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've got Hyperion on my shelf at home, but have yet to start it. I keep hearing great things about it though.

Ah, John Sandford - author of the first book (Rules of Prey) I ever read that made me say, "I can do better than that."

[Just an amusing FYI; I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from reading Sandford; like anyone else, he's quite good for those that enjoy what he does.]

:lol: You know, I looked up his other works on Goodreads and it looks like most of his works are crime drama, which I'm not much into. Maybe Saturn Run will be the only book of his that I enjoy. :orely:

Also, he's written a shit ton of books! :o

fernandito
03-27-2017, 08:38 AM
You guys, I'm having a tough time getting into The Terror. I'm about 130 pages in and I don't know how much more talk about ice melting and coal burning I can take.

I'm giving it some time because it's such a mammoth novel, but my interest is quickly waning.

At what point does this pick up?

webstar1000
03-27-2017, 08:42 AM
You guys, I'm having a tough time getting into The Terror. I'm about 130 pages in and I don't know how much more talk about ice melting and coal burning I can take.

I'm giving it some time because it's such a mammoth novel, but my interest is quickly waning.

WOW. I couldnt put it down by then. I loved that book. My fav Simmons I have read so far!

Heather19
03-27-2017, 09:02 AM

:o Oh no. I also loved it from the beginning and devoured the book. Could not put it down.

I am almost done with The Abominable by Dan Simmons. It's taking me awhile to read this one for some reason. I like it, and had been dying to get to the Yeti's, but once I got to that last part of the book it wasn't as good. It seemed to switch into an entirely different type of book.

St. Troy
04-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Just finished The Kennedy Tapes: Inside the White House During the Cuban Missile Crisis by Ernest May & Philip Zelikow.

It pretty much is what it says it is - transcripts of White House conversations before and during the CMC - whether you think you will or won't enjoy this, you're right.

Certainly this was a tense time for the people involved, but even knowing the general background, two things stick out as especially frightening:

- How hard JFK had to push to get his people to send word to Turkey-based American personnel that they were NOT to launch nuclear weapons without his express instruction to do so

- The fact that the Joint Chiefs still recommended an airstrike on Cuba after receiving Khrushchev's message of acquiescence.
:onfire:

St. Troy
04-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Just started (on p 27) I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes - so far, so good.

WeDealInLead
04-11-2017, 12:54 PM
Caitlin R. Kiernan - Agents of Dreamland

fernandito
04-11-2017, 01:06 PM
I promised Heather I wouldn't give up on The Terror, so I'm still reading that. 200 pages in.

Heather19
04-11-2017, 04:33 PM
I promised Heather I wouldn't give up on The Terror, so I'm still reading that. 200 pages in.

:couple:

WeDealInLead
04-11-2017, 04:48 PM
The Terror is a book I keep meaning to read but there's always something else to read first. I'll unfuck that next winter. It doesn't really seem like spring or summer are the ideal time for it. Snowed in mid-december is more fitting, I think.

zelig
04-11-2017, 04:48 PM
I liked that book. It felt like a slog but an enjoyable slog. I mean I was engaged and captivated throughout.

Heather19
04-11-2017, 04:58 PM
The Terror is a book I keep meaning to read but there's always something else to read first. I'll unfuck that next winter. It doesn't really seem like spring or summer are the ideal time for it. Snowed in mid-december is more fitting, I think.

It's definitely good to read when you're snowed in. I opted for The Abominable (which I hadn't read yet) for my winter read a few months ago, so now I have to wait till next winter to re-read this one.

jsmcmullen92
04-12-2017, 04:51 AM
I am reading through The Colour of Magic right now. Not as funny as I thought it would be but I have a feeling it would be if I played D&D or read those types of books as a kid.

webstar1000
04-12-2017, 04:55 AM
About to start Shift by Hugh Howey. Loved Wool... hope this is as good!

fernandito
04-12-2017, 08:19 AM
I liked that book. It felt like a slog but an enjoyable slog. I mean I was engaged and captivated throughout.

I think that's what I'm having trouble with. The story moves along at the speed of molasses.

Heather19
04-12-2017, 09:26 AM
That's how The Abominable felt for me. I enjoyed it but it was slow moving. The Terror on the other hand, despite its length was such a quick read for me. I think I finished it within a week (which for me is super fast). I couldn't put it down.

webstar1000
04-17-2017, 03:48 AM
Hey guys, is Hyperion by Simmons worth a read? What about the Fall of?

WeDealInLead
04-17-2017, 04:58 AM
It's a classic. You'll have to be patient with it though. It's as dense as Ilium and Olympos but each book is twice as long (plus two more books).

Just finished Pilot Light by William Ashbless (yeah, yeah, it's Powers and Blaylock). Hilarious stuff. A single sentence and than two pages of footnotes about pretty much nothing.

webstar1000
04-17-2017, 04:59 AM
It's a classic. You'll have to be patient with it though. It's as dense as Ilium and Olympos but each book is twice as long (plus two more books).

Just finished Pilot Light by William Ashbless (yeah, yeah, it's Powers and Blaylock). Hilarious stuff. A single sentence and than two pages of footnotes about pretty much nothing.

ILLium was the only book in my life I did not finish. I found it so cumbersome and drag-on like. Perhaps not one to read then?

WeDealInLead
04-17-2017, 05:12 AM
Maybe others can chime in. Once the action starts, it's pretty much non-stop plus the goddamned Shrike is one of the most badass/enigmatic characters in science fiction.

jsmcmullen92
04-17-2017, 05:33 AM

ILLium was the only book in my life I did not finish. I found it so cumbersome and drag-on like. Perhaps not one to read then?

It took me a long time to read and at first I wasn't liking it but after reading both Hyperion and Fall I am very happy I did. Well worth and great story.
That said I have yet to pick up Endy and Rise from the shelf to read. Maybe I'll give them a go after I finish the Mistborn series

jsmcmullen92
04-17-2017, 05:36 AM
I tried reading the Colour of Magic but found it dull. I feel like if I were into D&D or high fantasy more I would like it but I finished the first two short stories within and have no want to read the last 2.

Jean
04-17-2017, 08:04 AM
one of my favorite books; I don't think I'll reread it any time soon, but it definitely impressed me like few books did

currently (re)reading: Demons, by Dostoyevsky (hi Mattrick)
love it immensely

Ricky
04-23-2017, 09:32 AM
One of our local libraries had a huge book sale this weekend and I got 5 (practically) brand new books for $6.25 total (retail would've been about $45-50). I got: Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Alive (for free, since they couldn't sell it because it was an advance reading copy), The Grownup (Gillian Flynn), and In a Dark, Dark Wood (Ruth Ware). All of these have been on my to-read list for awhile now, so I was happy I got them. I found a ton of books that I had already read, which stunk because I could've gotten them dirt cheap. :lol:

Mattrick
04-23-2017, 09:52 AM
The Lost World is amazing. Oh, how they butchered that book with that film.

Mattrick
04-23-2017, 09:52 AM
one of my favorite books; I don't think I'll reread it any time soon, but it definitely impressed me like few books did

currently (re)reading: Demons, by Dostoyevsky (hi Mattrick)
love it immensely

I've yet to find a copy :/ I finally bought The Double though :D

Ricky
04-23-2017, 01:09 PM
The Lost World is amazing. Oh, how they butchered that book with that film.

Yeah, I didn't like the movie so I was torn on getting the book. But at $3.00 for a hardcover first edition, I couldn't pass it up.

sharki69
04-23-2017, 05:12 PM
Need recommendations to a REALLY GOOD book you read recently.

Thanks !!!

jsmcmullen92
04-23-2017, 06:26 PM

Thanks !!!
Elantris by Sanderson. Or white sand by him as well. (I'm on a Sanderson kick right now)

sharki69
04-23-2017, 07:16 PM

Thanks !!!
Elantris by Sanderson. Or white sand by him as well. (I'm on a Sanderson kick right now)

Thanks Josh - Sanderson is one of my favorites so I read them all :)

You should read the way of kings - epic !!!

jsmcmullen92
04-23-2017, 07:53 PM

Thanks !!!

Thanks Josh - Sanderson is one of my favorites so I read them all :)

You should read the way of kings - epic !!!
I just got the white sand manuscript that the graphic novel is based on and I'm really excited to read that after I finish mistborn. I really just want to read the whole story at once

Heather19
04-24-2017, 04:47 AM
One of our local libraries had a huge book sale this weekend and I got 5 (practically) brand new books for $6.25 total (retail would've been about $45-50). I got: Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Alive (for free, since they couldn't sell it because it was an advance reading copy), The Grownup (Gillian Flynn), and In a Dark, Dark Wood (Ruth Ware). All of these have been on my to-read list for awhile now, so I was happy I got them. I found a ton of books that I had already read, which stunk because I could've gotten them dirt cheap. :lol:

Awesome! Love Jurassic Park and the Lost World. And don't worry, the book is very different from the movie for the later. I also just read In a Dark, Dark Wood recently. Let me know what you think of it. It wasn't bad by any means, but I wasn't enthralled by it either. Don't let that deter you from reading it though.

jsmcmullen92
04-24-2017, 05:06 AM

Awesome! Love Jurassic Park and the Lost World. And don't worry, the book is very different from the movie for the later. I also just read In a Dark, Dark Wood recently. Let me know what you think of it. It wasn't bad by any means, but I wasn't enthralled by it either. Don't let that deter you from reading it though.

My fiance read in a Dark Dark Wood and really enjoyed it but would give it a 7.5 out of 10. Given she also read Behind her eyes and loved it so you might give that one a try as well. She is really into that creepy horror mystery stuff (given that's from a guy who reads Misery and Rage...).

Girlystevedave
04-25-2017, 02:17 PM
I'm worried that 2017 is going to be a crap year of reading for me. I already gave up on one book right near the end of it and now I'm struggling to not give up on what I'm currently reading. I hate being a quitter, but I also hate thinking of all the stories out there that I could be addicted to right now.

Maybe I'll just put the current book in the "finish later" pile. Aka the "set aside until I trade it in at the bookstore for credit" pile. :orely:

WeDealInLead
04-25-2017, 03:06 PM
Maybe try a lighter read? I've given up on probably five books this year and I find a novella or maybe even something YA oriented normally break the slump. I'm currently reading The Palladin Prophecy by Mark Frost (of the Twin Peaks fame) and it's exactly what I needed: a quivk-paced and interesting YA/light read that's not offending my intelligence.

Also, I'm still reading the Best of Gregory Benford. Some of the science is impenetrable but the stories are very intriguing.

TravelinJack
04-26-2017, 10:26 AM
I re-read Ready Player One recently. Such a fun quick book to read. For anyone that has lived through the 80s should give it a shot.

zelig
04-26-2017, 01:36 PM
I re-read Ready Player One recently. Such a fun quick book to read. For anyone that has lived through the 80s should give it a shot.

Love that book.

Mattrick
04-26-2017, 03:43 PM
I'm worried that 2017 is going to be a crap year of reading for me. I already gave up on one book right near the end of it and now I'm struggling to not give up on what I'm currently reading. I hate being a quitter, but I also hate thinking of all the stories out there that I could be addicted to right now.

Maybe I'll just put the current book in the "finish later" pile. Aka the "set aside until I trade it in at the bookstore for credit" pile. :orely:

At least you'll have a professionally edited version of The Need soon, and The Limousine in a few months :D

Girlystevedave
04-27-2017, 05:42 AM

At least you'll have a professionally edited version of The Need soon, and The Limousine in a few months :D

Ay-Oh! :thumbsup:

webstar1000
04-27-2017, 05:49 AM
Hey guys, just about to read Hearts by King from Suspension.. is it about his life in school playing cards? lol Worth it?

Mattrick
04-27-2017, 01:14 PM
Hearts is one of my favourite stories he's written.

Tommy
04-28-2017, 01:40 AM
I haven't read anything in a while, too depressed. I need to find something to get me interested again.

craigobau
04-28-2017, 02:18 AM
I've been reading the graphic novel series Providence by Alan Moore.

I'm not a graphic novel guy, and have only read a few Lovecraft stories, but I'm really enjoying this story. The illustrations are amazing and there's obviously been a huge amount of research that's gone into weaving various HPL stories into the Providence story line.

mae
04-28-2017, 02:55 AM
I haven't read anything in a while, too depressed. I need to find something to get me interested again.

Might I suggest something light, like Discworld.

Tommy
04-28-2017, 03:16 AM

Haven't heard of it, I will check into it. I've never read any Prachett before.
I did just pick up the latest JCO from the library the other day. It's a 14 day loaner. Hopefully I can make it through it on time. Certainly not light subject matter. Nothing she does it but gosh I just love her.

Girlystevedave
04-28-2017, 04:51 AM
Started Robert McCammon's Boy's Life last night.
I've had it on my to-read list since someone around here suggested it and finally decided to give it a go. I really enjoy McCammon's writing style so far. It has a great flow to it.

Tommy
04-28-2017, 05:01 AM
I've had it on my to-read list since someone around here suggested it and finally decided to give it a go. I really enjoy McCammon's writing style so far. It has a great flow to it.

One of my favorites :thumbsup:

zelig
04-28-2017, 05:19 AM

Either that or a good SSRI. :-)

Tommy
04-28-2017, 05:32 AM

Either that or a good SSRI. :-)

Been there, done that. I prefer the "pams" ya know like Diazepam, Lorazepam, Clonazepam. In moderation of course. Perhaps usage has been a bit more frequent since November. It's a good thing I can't drink alcohol (health reasons), otherwise, I really would be in trouble!

jsmcmullen92
04-28-2017, 05:33 AM

I did just pick up the latest JCO from the library the other day. It's a 14 day loaner. Hopefully I can make it through it on time. Certainly not light subject matter. Nothing she does it but gosh I just love her.

If you do go with Discworld I don't recommend starting with The Colour of Magic. I tried starting there and made it through about 3/4 of the book and put it down. With that said if you were/ are a D&D guy or high fantasy guy you may get the satire in it but being neither of those I appreciated it but didn't find it as funny as I should. There are multiple entrances into Discworld and really all you need from Colour is the prologue that lays out the world for you.

Tommy
04-28-2017, 05:38 AM

If you do go with Discworld I don't recommend starting with The Colour of Magic. I tried starting there and made it through about 3/4 of the book and put it down. With that said if you were/ are a D&D guy or high fantasy guy you may get the satire in it but being neither of those I appreciated it but didn't find it as funny as I should. There are multiple entrances into Discworld and really all you need from Colour is the prologue that lays out the world for you.

I'm getting more intrigued by the minute....

TravelinJack
04-28-2017, 05:38 AM

This is one of my top favorites! McCammon is unfortunately underrated. He does have a King like quality to his prose. I know the two and some of the stories have been compared quite a bit. Like you said, the 'flow' of it is great, very natural. His dialogue is real and not choppy and he creates a hypnotic interiority, as though you are seeing what is going on through dialogue versus reading it. Something that is very VERY tough to pull off. King is the Master at it and I'd say McCammon is right around there with him when it comes to that. Enjoy the read!

mae
04-28-2017, 05:55 AM

I'm getting more intrigued by the minute....

You don't really need to be a D&D guy, I wasn't. And it was funny as hell. But I may have a weird sense of humor.

Girlystevedave
04-28-2017, 07:16 AM

I won't be surprised if it ends up being one of my favorites just going off my feelings toward it by page 30. :)

This is one of my top favorites! McCammon is unfortunately underrated. He does have a King like quality to his prose. I know the two and some of the stories have been compared quite a bit. Like you said, the 'flow' of it is great, very natural. His dialogue is real and not choppy and he creates a hypnotic interiority, as though you are seeing what is going on through dialogue versus reading it. Something that is very VERY tough to pull off. King is the Master at it and I'd say McCammon is right around there with him when it comes to that. Enjoy the read!

Yes, it has a very comfortable feeling to it like King's style. It's not often you come across a story that feels so easy to sink into. I like when a story begins with a brief, yet effective set-up for the world I'm about to explore, then says "now let's go on this journey". I can see that McCammon is very good at pulling that off.

TravelinJack
04-28-2017, 07:42 AM

I won't be surprised if it ends up being one of my favorites just going off my feelings toward it by page 30. :)

Yes, it has a very comfortable feeling to it like King's style. It's not often you come across a story that feels so easy to sink into. I like when a story begins with a brief, yet effective set-up for the world I'm about to explore, then says "now let's go on this journey". I can see that McCammon is very good at pulling that off.

It's because of 'Boy's Life' that I started collecting McCammon. It also was what jolted me back into writing. That short introduction and how he talked about being young and exploring the world. Basically setting your imagination free of the adult walls of which we've built as we age. It's something, we start to lose that explorative imagination, maybe not all, but some. That is what is so incredible about reading and writing! This book, in particular, made me smile so much and miss being a kid.

Girlystevedave
04-28-2017, 08:22 AM
It's because of 'Boy's Life' that I started collecting McCammon. It also was what jolted me back into writing. That short introduction and how he talked about being young and exploring the world. Basically setting your imagination free of the adult walls of which we've built as we age. It's something, we start to lose that explorative imagination, maybe not all, but some. That is what is so incredible about reading and writing! This book, in particular, made me smile so much and miss being a kid.

Yes! That introduction about being young was amazing. I had actually written something very similar recently, touching on how the magic slips through our fingers, so reading that in someone else's words was awesome. It's a hard truth that we don't always stop and think on.

TravelinJack
04-28-2017, 09:11 AM
Yes! That introduction about being young was amazing. I had actually written something very similar recently, touching on how the magic slips through our fingers, so reading that in someone else's words was awesome. It's a hard truth that we don't always stop and think on.

Amen!

WeDealInLead
05-14-2017, 07:35 AM
I can finally focus on finishing The Best of Gene Wolfe now that I'm done with The Best of Gregory Benford. This seems to be the year of Best Of books for me and they're all door stoppers.

Girlystevedave
05-14-2017, 08:13 PM
Damnit, I just finished Boy's Life and I want to crawl into a hole to process all my emotions. What a fantastic book.

St. Troy
05-15-2017, 08:26 AM
Recently finished I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. Although Hayes is a veteran of film and TV writing, this was his first novel. Basically, this is a "thriller," with all of what that implies - pretty good action, kept things moving, with interesting characters, situations and events. If you think you smell a "but" coming, you're right, but it's not one I blame on Hayes - I think it's just me.

As was the case with Tom Clancy's Executive Orders (another "thriller," which I read around 2 years ago), the action and characters were interesting enough to keep me reading and entertain me (I did enjoy them), but ultimately they were shallow reading experiences for me which left me feeling that I'd like to read more by the author, but I felt no real hurry about doing so.

I think, to me, this type of book always goes one way - no matter how horrible the problem, it will be resolved; what's done is always undone. Which is not to say there aren't permanent consequences (and I admit this is a real oversimplification and generalization of what these books do), but one problem with large-scope plots is that there's only so much about the world most authors will change (unless we're talking apocalyptic works, a different beast altogether).

Anyway - if you like thrillers, you should give this a shot, and if I've discouraged anyone from reading this, that was not my intent (please immediately read a positive review of the book to wash this one out of your mind, and reset!).

St. Troy
05-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Recently started The Routledge Atlas Of The Second World War by Martin Gilbert (now on p 36 and going well).

Yes, it is an atlas, but one you can just pick up and read (if you are so inclined) as the maps contain explanatory text, and there are an introduction and epilogue. For those who are read up on WWII, this makes a fine reference companion to have on hand.

I'm reading it now in preparation of what I will read next: Churchill's 6-volume The Second World War. My copy is the delicious Folio Society edition - "lust" is a strong word, but man, let's just say I'm really ready for these babies (take a gander: http://www.churchillbooks.com/detail.cfm?title=THE_SECOND_WORLD_WAR&itemNumber=200911 and https://www.amazon.com/Second-World-War-complete-volumes/dp/B000NK98XW).

A few words about who is behind this:

Routledge is a publisher of many reference works (some visible at www.routledgehandbooks.com); I have my eye on The Routledge Atlas Of The First World War, The Routledge Atlas Of The Arab-Israeli Conflict, and The Routledge Atlas Of Russian History.

Martin Gilbert was a respected historian, among whose most notable works were the last 6 volumes of an 8-volume biography of Winston Churchill that had been begun by Randolph Churchill (the Prime Minister's son); details and info at http://www.martingilbert.com.

TravelinJack
05-15-2017, 07:06 PM
Damnit, I just finished Boy's Life and I want to crawl into a hole to process all my emotions. What a fantastic book.

Glad you enjoyed this. McCammon is a master.

Girlystevedave
05-15-2017, 07:13 PM

I want to read everything he's done now! I loved the book so much halfway in that I went ahead and bought two of his other books to have on hand. I really really want to jump into one, but I feel like I'm still recovering from Boy's Life. :lol:

TravelinJack
05-15-2017, 07:26 PM

I want to read everything he's done now! I loved the book so much halfway in that I went ahead and bought two of his other books to have on hand. I really really want to jump into one, but I feel like I'm still recovering from Boy's Life. :lol:

Funny, that's how it started for me as well. He really is a masterful writer on many levels. If you are ready for a big read, Swan Song is considered one of his epic novels.

Which two did you pick up?

Girlystevedave
05-16-2017, 08:57 AM
I really do want to read Swan Song. Everything I read about it reminds me of The Stand and being someone who really wasn't all that swept away by The Stand (I know, a real shame considering I'm such a huge King fan), I'm really curious to see how McCammon handles that type of huge, sprawling epic novel.

As far as the two books I picked up - one of them was The Wolf's Hour, but I can't recall what the other one was.

*Oh my gosh, I just looked up Swan Song and see that its page count is pretty much doble what Boy's Life is. I can't wait to get to it when the time is right! :excited:

webstar1000
05-16-2017, 09:05 AM
I really do want to read Swan Song. Everything I read about it reminds me of The Stand and being someone who really wasn't all that swept away by The Stand (I know, a real shame considering I'm such a huge King fan), I'm really curious to see how McCammon handles that type of huge, sprawling epic novel.

As far as the two books I picked up - one of them was The Wolf's Hour, but I can't recall what the other one was.

*Oh my gosh, I just looked up Swan Song and see that its page count is pretty much doble what Boy's Life is. I can't wait to get to it when the time is right! :excited:

I am putting Boys Life on my to read list this year. Anyone wanna mail me a reader???? :smile_002:

I have to say I was not happy with Swan Song... OR better... not as happy as I wanted to be. It was good... but I think it could have been so much better. I give it a solid 6.5/10

Heather19
05-16-2017, 09:11 AM
Boys Life has been on my too-read list for quite awhile now. But I already have a series of books lined up :lol:

Currently reading Haven by Tom Deady, and then I'm going to start my re-read of It any day for our upcoming book club. And then I had planned to re-read Summer of Night after since it's in the same vein as these too. Maybe I'll add it on after that :D

Girlystevedave
05-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Currently reading The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.

Girlystevedave
05-16-2017, 10:41 AM
Boys Life has been on my too-read list for quite awhile now. But I already have a series of books lined up :lol:

It's so easy to let that list build and build. Heck, I have so many books on my shelf just waiting to be read, yet I'm browsing Goodreads every day so I can find books to add to my to-read list. :lol:

Brian861
05-16-2017, 10:47 AM
This forum......

Ricky
05-16-2017, 01:54 PM
I have to say I was not happy with Swan Song... OR better... not as happy as I wanted to be. It was good... but I think it could have been so much better. I give it a solid 6.5/10

I felt the same way. I enjoyed it, but I don't really remember it really grabbing me.

I read that one a few years back for my dystopian lit. class. It's an interesting idea to have each chapter about different people (all revolving around Mars), but I remember being disappointed that we wouldn't be following the same group for the whole book. It didn't give me that "gotta read the next chapter now!" feeling.

It's so easy to let that list build and build. Heck, I have so many books on my shelf just waiting to be read

Me too, and I'm not sure if it's overwhelming or exciting. :lol:

Girlystevedave
05-16-2017, 02:33 PM

I read that one a few years back for my dystopian lit. class. It's an interesting idea to have each chapter about different people (all revolving around Mars), but I remember being disappointed that we wouldn't be following the same group for the whole book. It didn't give me that "gotta read the next chapter now!" feeling.

It's so easy to let that list build and build. Heck, I have so many books on my shelf just waiting to be read

Me too, and I'm not sure if it's overwhelming or exciting. :lol:

I only grabbed The Martian Chronicles off my shelf this morning because I needed to have an emergency book with me and it was the smallest book I could find. :lol:

And the growing to-read list is definitely exciting AND overwhelming. haha

Heather19
05-16-2017, 02:36 PM

It's so easy to let that list build and build. Heck, I have so many books on my shelf just waiting to be read, yet I'm browsing Goodreads every day so I can find books to add to my to-read list. :lol:

I do the same thing. Plus our library just had a huge sale and I walked away with 8 books. Not sure if or when I'll ever get to them :lol: I joined a local Stephen King bookclub so I've been re-reading a ton of King lately, but I've been trying to squeeze in another book in between those.

Ben Staad
05-17-2017, 07:24 AM
Just finished up Tuesdays with Morrie.

St. Troy
05-17-2017, 08:24 AM

How'd you like it? Albom takes heat for his works being lightweight fluff, but I think they do a nice job simply illustrating the things most people, deep down, find important.

Girlystevedave
05-17-2017, 08:55 AM
I do the same thing. Plus our library just had a huge sale and I walked away with 8 books. Not sure if or when I'll ever get to them :lol: I joined a local Stephen King bookclub so I've been re-reading a ton of King lately, but I've been trying to squeeze in another book in between those.

So many books, so little time!

Look, one of my genuine fears in life is missing out on reading some great book. I imagine I'm on my deathbed and I realize that there's some wonderful book that I never got around to reading and I'm full of regret and sadness right before I die. :lol:

Ben Staad
05-17-2017, 09:00 AM
I enjoyed it for what it was. It wasn't technically a deep read but hit on subjects, like you said, most people are curious about and think about. It wasn't great literature but didn't need to be. It provided a story of life after death in it's own way.

How'd you like it? Albom takes heat for his works being lightweight fluff, but I think they do a nice job simply illustrating the things most people, deep down, find important.

Girlystevedave
05-21-2017, 06:09 PM

I can see why you'd say that. There's no real urgency to the story. I just feel like I'm reading it to have a book in my hands. Nothing more. Nothing less.

WeDealInLead
05-21-2017, 06:36 PM
I was angry at that book the first time I read it. I loved it the second time.

Reading: The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi.

Girlystevedave
05-21-2017, 06:48 PM
If a book made me angry the first time around, there's no way I'd even give it a second chance. Books get one shot with me. :lol:
Heck, I'm bad about dropping a book halfway through if I'm not feeling it. I hate that I do that, but if I keep going even though I'm not enjoying it, it just drags on forever and I start to resent the story and the characters.

Heather19
05-22-2017, 05:01 AM
I do the same thing. Although sometimes I only give it a few pages :lol:

Girlystevedave
05-22-2017, 07:38 AM

I've gotten really bad about giving up on books lately. I recently got more than 3/4 of the way into a book before saying forget it. I even flipped to the last page to "accidentally" spoil the story for my self so there would be no way for me to keep reading it. :lol:

Heather19
05-22-2017, 08:05 AM

I've gotten really bad about giving up on books lately. I recently got more than 3/4 of the way into a book before saying forget it. I even flipped to the last page to "accidentally" spoil the story for my self so there would be no way for me to keep reading it. :lol:

:lol: My worst was when I only had 30 pages left to read, but I still put the book down. Wish I thought to jump ahead and read the last page or two :lol:

Girlystevedave
05-22-2017, 08:46 AM

:lol: My worst was when I only had 30 pages left to read, but I still put the book down. Wish I thought to jump ahead and read the last page or two :lol:

:lol:
Yeah, I was all [turns to the last page and reads the ending] "Whoops, it got spoiled for me. Guess I have to put the book down and start something else. What a shame."

We should have a thread devoted to spoiling books for each other when we don't want to finish them. :rofl:

TravelinJack
05-22-2017, 12:56 PM
I too, for a very long time, didn't like abandoning a book mid story. However, like many of you have said, there are just too many books to read to waste time forcing yourself to press on.

A couple of years ago I started a new internal process of elimination. If it's a novel, if I'm not captured by the end of the second chapter I'm done. If a novella, first 10 pages. If short story, first 5. I feel that if the story just hasn't sucked me in by then, I can justifiably move on to the next. This is not to say the author is/was bad, it just wasn't my cup-o-tea.

I do, however, try to be selective about what goes to the reading list to minimize this.

Girlystevedave
05-22-2017, 02:18 PM
I too, for a very long time, didn't like abandoning a book mid story. However, like many of you have said, there are just too many books to read to waste time forcing yourself to press on.

A couple of years ago I started a new internal process of elimination. If it's a novel, if I'm not captured by the end of the second chapter I'm done. If a novella, first 10 pages. If short story, first 5. I feel that if the story just hasn't sucked me in by then, I can justifiably move on to the next. This is not to say the author is/was bad, it just wasn't my cup-o-tea.

I do, however, try to be selective about what goes to the reading list to minimize this.

Wow, I like how you have your process of elimination down to a science. :thumbsup:

And I also try to be picky about what I add to my list. I'm always browsing Goodreads to find new books, but I always try to preview a book before even adding it because I have to know if I'm going to like the writing style.

TravelinJack
05-26-2017, 07:21 PM

Wow, I like how you have your process of elimination down to a science. :thumbsup:

And I also try to be picky about what I add to my list. I'm always browsing Goodreads to find new books, but I always try to preview a book before even adding it because I have to know if I'm going to like the writing style.

I reference goodreads a lot too. I try to stay away from written reviews as I like to go into stories knowing as little as possible. I don't even fully read story summaries anymore, just the first couple of sentences or the tag line. That and if it has a 3.8 or above on goodreads I will give it a shot. I usually don't go below that on authors I'm not familiar with. I feel with this my odds of reading a total junker are slimmer. Sounds snobby I know. I do gamble from time to time based on recommendations and am pleasantly surprised. If not, the process from my previous post usually comes into play.

Just here recently, my wife was reading a random book from an Amazon sale. An author we've never heard of (Kendra Eliot), the book is called 'Vanished.' My wife says to me, "You may want to check this out, it's like what you're writing." Not something you want to hear. Quick back story, I'm writing a novel about a child abduction (presently is sitting at roughly 54k words - approx 200 pages). 'Vanished' by Kendra Eliot is about a child abduction. My protagonist's name is Mason. The protagonist in 'Vanished' is also named Mason. I couldn't believe it. So I looked it up in goodreads, over 4.0, so I read it. I didn't read more into it outside of those two tid-bits from my wife. Thankfully, although same general premise, the stories are very much different. With that said, I really enjoyed 'Vanished' and couldn't put it down. If you're ever up for a chance of pace in a fairly quick read, check it out.

St. Troy
05-27-2017, 08:42 AM
Just finished The Routledge Atlas Of The Second World War by Martin Gilbert; I quite enjoyed it.

I don't know where one would decide to draw the line on what events/processes get their own map, but there's lots of "off the beaten path" type things here such as Japanese balloon bombs (of course, if you're a well-read WWII buff, you've probably beaten many paths). One fun fact: a group of German and Italian POWs escaped a Canadian camp...only to flee back to the camp after encountering a grizzly bear.

I'll repeat some of my previously offered background info in case it should prove useful to anyone reading:

Yes, it is an atlas, but one you can just pick up and read (if you are so inclined) as the maps contain explanatory text, and there are an introduction and epilogue. For those who are read up on WWII, this makes a fine reference companion to have on hand.

A few words about who is behind this:

Routledge is a publisher of many reference works (some visible at www.routledgehandbooks.com).

Martin Gilbert was a respected historian, among whose most notable works were the last 6 volumes of an 8-volume biography of Winston Churchill that had been begun by Randolph Churchill (the Prime Minister's son); details and info at [url]http://www.martingilbert.com.

St. Troy
05-27-2017, 08:47 AM
Recently started The Second World War, Volume I: The Gathering Storm by Winston Churchill (the man himself).

Churchill's writing is dense (you need to be locked in and paying attention), but engaging (not fatiguing) - he whisks the reader through recent history and ongoing events, easily weaving causes, effects, and his own opinions (of course) into a seamless whole. Compelling and rich reading.

Girlystevedave
06-06-2017, 08:40 AM
I picked this up yesterday at the bookstore:
Sure the interviews and conversations are more than 20 years old, but I feel pretty lucky to come across anythink Stephen King that I've yet to read.
https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1271120818l/620513.jpg

I'm also about 3/4 through Robert McCammon's Baal. Man, compared to Boy's Life, this book is pretty cringeworthy. :lol:
But good.

divemaster
06-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Started reading The Sleepwalker by Chris Bohjalian, based on a glowing review in the Washington Post. Not too far along, but pretty good so far.

I'm also about 3/4 through Robert McCammon's Baal. Man, compared to Boy's Life, this book is pretty cringeworthy. :lol:
But good.

I should have a McCammon recommendation in the not-too-distant future.

Girlystevedave
06-08-2017, 12:41 PM

And what would that be?

I'm really torn over which McCammon book to read next. Swan Song, Gone South, and Speaks the Nightbird all sound incredible. Can anyone steer me toward the best choice?

TravelinJack
06-08-2017, 05:30 PM

And what would that be?

I'm really torn over which McCammon book to read next. Swan Song, Gone South, and Speaks the Nightbird all sound incredible. Can anyone steer me toward the best choice?

Depends on how long of a journey you want to hop on?

TravelinJack
06-08-2017, 05:58 PM
If you enjoyed The Stand and want another tome to read, I'd say Swan Song is an interesting adventure. There are many debates on the two as the premise is similar and the writing style are also much alike. Of course there are key differences between the two authors and the two stories. I wish I could find the article, but McCammon stated that King was an inspiration to him and that he wanted to write an epic post apocalyptic novel like The Stand. The same with a vampire story (They Thirst) There is also a lot of discussion on which one is better. I enjoyed them both. If you enjoyed the writing style of McCammon it's an interesting journey. Much like any book of this size, it has its slow parts. Many lovable characters too.

TravelinJack
06-08-2017, 06:00 PM
There are also fun short stories in Blue World.

frik
06-09-2017, 02:41 AM

Love Blue World - a very underrated collection of short stories.
But then, McCammon is an underrated author.
Unfortunately.
He's not as good as King (no one is), but when he's good, he's awesome (Boy's Life, Swan Song, Speaks the Nightbird...)
He did write a couple of clunkers though, like The Border...

sk

sk

WeDealInLead
06-09-2017, 06:17 AM
I got lucky with the last three books:

Dennis Lehane - Prayers for Rain
Jonathan Lethem - Bathing the Lion
Ken Grimwood - Replay

All incredible stories. I finally started reading Boy's Life and ten pages in, I'm already hooked.

Girlystevedave
06-09-2017, 07:50 AM
All incredible stories. I finally started reading Boy's Life and ten pages in, I'm already hooked.

Yes! :clap:

Girlystevedave
06-09-2017, 08:39 AM
If you enjoyed The Stand and want another tome to read, I'd say Swan Song is an interesting adventure. There are many debates on the two as the premise is similar and the writing style are also much alike. Of course there are key differences between the two authors and the two stories. I wish I could find the article, but McCammon stated that King was an inspiration to him and that he wanted to write an epic post apocalyptic novel like The Stand. The same with a vampire story (They Thirst) There is also a lot of discussion on which one is better. I enjoyed them both. If you enjoyed the writing style of McCammon it's an interesting journey. Much like any book of this size, it has its slow parts. Many lovable characters too.

I think I'm one of the few King fans who felt pretty underwhelmed by The Stand. But, in my defense, I really think it has something to do with me having read the entire Dark Tower series before it- which, I believe, made it hard for me to fall in love with the characters since Roland/Jake/Eddie/Susannah were my original ka-tet. Having read The Dark Tower first, The Stand just felt like a smaller and less interesting story of a group of strangers who come together for one purpose/goal. I do, however, want to read Swan Song because I'm excited to see McCammon's take on that type of adventure.

He's not as good as King (no one is), but when he's good, he's awesome (Boy's Life, Swan Song, Speaks the Nightbird...)

sk

Well, King is the master.
I must say that McCammon is the first author to come so close to King for me. Even though Boy's Life and Baal are the only two books I've read so far, there is just something about his storytelling that grabs me and makes me not want to let go.

TravelinJack
06-09-2017, 09:56 AM
I think I'm one of the few King fans who felt pretty underwhelmed by The Stand. But, in my defense, I really think it has something to do with me having read the entire Dark Tower series before it- which, I believe, made it hard for me to fall in love with the characters since Roland/Jake/Eddie/Susannah were my original ka-tet. Having read The Dark Tower first, The Stand just felt like a smaller and less interesting story of a group of strangers who come together for one purpose/goal. I do, however, want to read Swan Song because I'm excited to see McCammon's take on that type of adventure.

sk

Well, King is the master.
I must say that McCammon is the first author to come so close to King for me. Even though Boy's Life and Baal are the only two books I've read so far, there is just something about his storytelling that grabs me and makes me not want to let go.

I do think you'll like Swan Song, if you were underwhelmed by The Stand. I'm very curious what your thoughts will be once you're able to get to it.

I hold McCammon at the same level as King. Had he the same fortune to have some movies adapted from his books, I think he could have made it just as big. As much as we hate to admit it, movies do boost popularity for writers. One of McCammon's greatest strengths is his ability to keep complicated simple. His prose is so easy to read and that takes a master. I hold both authors near and dear.

TravelinJack
06-09-2017, 10:01 AM

Love Blue World - a very underrated collection of hort stories.
But then, McCammon is an underrated author.
Unfortunately.
He did write a couple of clunkers though, like The Border...

sk

sk

Agreed - Blue World is a solid compilation. Some eerie stories too.

TravelinJack
06-09-2017, 10:01 AM

Yes! :clap:

Double yes!!

Girlystevedave
06-10-2017, 09:17 AM
I do think you'll like Swan Song, if you were underwhelmed by The Stand. I'm very curious what your thoughts will be once you're able to get to it.

I hold McCammon at the same level as King. Had he the same fortune to have some movies adapted from his books, I think he could have made it just as big. As much as we hate to admit it, movies do boost popularity for writers. One of McCammon's greatest strengths is his ability to keep complicated simple. His prose is so easy to read and that takes a master. I hold both authors near and dear.

I ordered a used copy of Swan Song for less than five bucks from Abebooks last night, then realized it won't be here until June 29th. I'm seriously thinking of just ordering another copy from Amazon so I can start it as soon as possible. :lol: You know, once you get your heart set on reading one specific book, it's hard to dissuade that voice on your shoulder.

And you're right about his ability to keep complicated simple. His writing is done beautifully, yet it gets straight to the point without a bunch of useless details that make you say "get on with it already". I am really really glad I checked him out.

Boy's Life Spoiler - Do not click unless you've finished it. DON'T!
Last night, just for the heck of it, I picked up Boy's Life and opened it to the pages that describe Rebel's death and Cory's decision to let Rebel be Carl's dog. It made me cry just as it did the first time around. I imagine it's one of those passages that will always get me no matter how many times I read it. So sad, yet touching.

TravelinJack
06-10-2017, 10:46 AM
A really interesting read, an interview with McCammon: (a bit long)

Robert McCammon ("Rick" to his many friends and acquaintances) is gracious, soft-spoken and genteel---the perfect Southern gentleman. Not at all the image that might immediately come to mind about the author of such highly acclaimed horror novels as Swan Song, Usher's Passing, They Thirst, and Blue World. But Mr. McCammon has in recent years carved a niche for himself in the highly competitive world of horror fiction.

Robert McCammon broke onto the horror scene in 1978 with his first novel, Baal. That was immediately followed by what McCammon refers to as his "breakthrough novel," Bethany's Sin.

"I was living with my grandparents and doing advertising copy for a department store. A dead end, soul-destroying job. I had attended the University of Alabama, majoring in journalism, but there were no jobs in my field."

McCammon was born in Birmingham, Alabama, in the mid-1950s, and his post-college homecoming (and living with his grandparents) was less than he expected. He turned to writing as a creative outlet. He also admits to have been "impressed with Stephen King's work. Perhaps even inspired by it." His hobby paid off.

"I did quit my job after Bethany's Sin, to write full-time." And write he did. After Bethany's Sin he wrote The Night Boat and a full-blown modern vampire novel, They Thirst. Following the success of those two novels, Robert McCammon moved on to the "big leagues"---the hardcover market. Two novels followed, both published by Henry Holt: Mystery Walk (1983) and Usher's Passing (1984), an imaginative and original sequel to Edgar Allan Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher."

Though hardcover publication was soothing to his writer's ego, McCammon found that it was no guarantee of success. Holt did not promote these novels at all and, though beautiful works, they languished and died in hardcover. It was then that McCammon discovered something about himself that many authors learn sooner or later.

"I realized that I was more concerned that my books be read than by the form in which they come out. That's why I am very happy at Pocket. They have given my books wide publication and they helped me find a whole new audience."

Indeed they did. When Pocket decided to gamble on Robert McCammon, both they, and he, did it in a big way. Swan Song (1985) was the major hit of McCammon's career---a successful novel that propelled him onto the bestseller lists. Swan Song is an apocalyptic novel about a horrible nuclear war and the evil that stalks the postwar landscape. This novel had a huge cast of characters from all walks of life, from presidents to paupers. These common, all-American types people McCammon's early works, but are never handled better than in Swan Song.

Another of the reasons for the success of Swan Song may be that with it, McCammon finally solidified his hold on his writing "voice" and his personal vision which was to come to infuse all of his subsequent work.

"I guess you could say my stories are about what characters do when faced with 'The Wall.' When an individual comes face to face with the crisis of their life---The Wall---they either go up or down. Many of my characters become bigger than they were, they grow.

"I try to offer my readers something more than mere entertainment. I give them a positive experience, a sort of reward for all the horror and unpleasantness that they had to read through to get to the end. I want the reader to feel good about himself when he closes the book, I want the audience to have learned something, or felt something."

Bestseller success was not a smooth road for Rick, despite the financial rewards and independence that came with high sales and a name that suddenly spells success. One thing he had to live with were the inevitable pitfalls of writing horror in The Age of Stephen King. McCammon feels that King's influence, which still dominates all horror fiction, is a double-edged sword.

"On the one hand, Mr. King really opened up the horror genre in this country, and that's good. But King's presence is so overshadowing today that anyone writing horror fiction is automatically compared to him.

"I admit that I was consciously influenced by King's work with my first few novels---and being compared to Stephen King is flattering, but sometimes the comparison just isn't valid."

Comparison to King is just one of the many barriers to be overcome when attempting a career in horror fiction, but it is one that can even carry over to individual works as well. Nor is this sort of comparison the sole domain of horror critics and reviewers.

"I remember when I was writing Swan Song, I told an acquaintance about the story, saying that it was about a nuclear holocaust and what happens to the survivors. That person's first remark was, 'Oh, like The Stand.' I thought to myself, 'Hey, wait a minute, there was no nuclear holocaust in The Stand ! Contrary to popular belief, Stephen King did not invent the apocalyptic novel."

About that all-purpose, generic item generally referred to as "the horror novel," McCammon reflects that being labeled a "horror author" is actually "more of a marketing ploy than a rule of literature. I think of myself as a cross-over author. To me, the story is more important than any sort of classification a publisher can put on it. I like to mix and mingle genre conventions, rather than stick to the tried and true, more traditional forms."

Read full article here *article does contain spoilers*: http://www.robertmccammon.com/interviews/how-to-89.html

TravelinJack
06-11-2017, 01:20 PM
Boy's Life Spoiler - Do not click unless you've finished it. DON'T!
Last night, just for the heck of it, I picked up Boy's Life and opened it to the pages that describe Rebel's death and Cory's decision to let Rebel be Carl's dog. It made me cry just as it did the first time around. I imagine it's one of those passages that will always get me no matter how many times I read it. So sad, yet touching.

Good call on this one. The ability to touch readers and invoke real emotion like that without 'trying' to do it is fascinating. That is pretty much tops for any writer, I'd imagine. Subtle and small moments of magic create a much larger impact.

webstar1000
06-11-2017, 05:09 PM
So picked up Hyperion... finding it VERY hard to read. I am on page 30 or so when the Priest is starting his story. Will this get better? Or... is this read going to continue to be so difficult? Thanks all

biomieg
06-12-2017, 12:12 AM
I haven't read Hyperion but I believe that these are some of Simmons' toughest books... are you a sci-fi fan? Because they are probably even harder to get through if you're not really into SF (or at least that was my impression from reading other people's thoughts).

TravelinJack
06-12-2017, 04:57 AM
I have heard the same about Hyperion, but don't have first hand experience with it.

jsmcmullen92
06-12-2017, 05:27 AM
So picked up Hyperion... finding it VERY hard to read. I am on page 30 or so when the Priest is starting his story. Will this get better? Or... is this read going to continue to be so difficult? Thanks all

It was one of the hardest reads I had done when I read them. That said though I recommend you work through it. The story telling is amazing and after you finish the first 2 books there is such a reward. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Joe315
06-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Just finished Station Eleven and now debating if I want to get sub press' limited edition.

webstar1000
06-12-2017, 04:03 PM

It was one of the hardest reads I had done when I read them. That said though I recommend you work through it. The story telling is amazing and after you finish the first 2 books there is such a reward. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

So keep going eh?

jsmcmullen92
06-12-2017, 04:07 PM

So keep going eh?

Yeah I think it's worth it

webstar1000
06-12-2017, 04:19 PM

So keep going eh?

Ok:) thanks

Girlystevedave
06-13-2017, 08:15 AM
Started this behemoth of a book. 816 pages! :excited: :wub:

https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1442931227l/1525997.jpg

TravelinJack
06-13-2017, 08:24 AM
Woohoo! Great plug by King too.

peripheral
06-13-2017, 01:44 PM
I'm mid-way through Brian Evenson's slender novel Last Days. It's my first foray into Evenson's work and it is just blowing me away. Disturbing, horrific, sparse and direct prose which keeps the pace fast. I absolutely love it so far.

(Peter Straub writes the introduction to the new edition - it contains spoilers, so leave it until after).

Heather19
06-14-2017, 08:53 AM
Started this behemoth of a book. 816 pages! :excited: :wub:

https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1442931227l/1525997.jpg

Ok, you've been raving about him for awhile now. I really need to start one of his books. I think I have Boy's Life and Swan Song. When I finish up the ones I'm reading now I'll have to give one of them a go.

Girlystevedave
06-14-2017, 09:22 AM
Ok, you've been raving about him for awhile now. I really need to start one of his books. I think I have Boy's Life and Swan Song. When I finish up the ones I'm reading now I'll have to give one of them a go.

Heather, I'm obsessed. :lol:
But seriously, you really should check him out. I've yet to read Swan Song (although I've already ordered it), but Boy's Life is incredible. :)

Heather19
06-14-2017, 10:47 AM

Heather, I'm obsessed. :lol:
But seriously, you really should check him out. I've yet to read Swan Song (although I've already ordered it), but Boy's Life is incredible. :)

You sound like me with Blake :lol:

Girlystevedave
06-14-2017, 11:09 AM

I was actually thinking that when I posted!

webstar1000
06-21-2017, 04:50 PM

Ok so I'm about a 100 pages in now and it's sure picking up steam. Starting to enjoy it more and more.... does the upward slide continue?

jsmcmullen92
06-21-2017, 06:42 PM
It's a slow burn through to a good climax

webstar1000
06-22-2017, 01:49 AM
It's a slow burn through to a good climax

Every page is getting better and an easier read I am finding. Will keep on going... thanks man for the push!

WeDealInLead
06-22-2017, 04:25 AM
Another rec from King, another dud: The Poison Artist by Jonathan Moore. Some really good writing in there but the "twist" became apparent about 2/3 in. Reminded me of Michael Slade but with balls removed.

webstar1000
06-28-2017, 04:08 PM

So keep going eh?

Quick question... did you read just the first two or all four?

WeDealInLead
06-28-2017, 04:36 PM
You can't just stop after the second book. I mean, you can but the story isn't done.

Reading: Zelazny & PKD - Deus Irae

jsmcmullen92
06-28-2017, 04:41 PM

So keep going eh?

I only read the first 2 so far. It was dense so I took a break and haven't made it back yet

webstar1000
06-28-2017, 04:42 PM

So keep going eh?

I only read the first 2 so far. It was dense so I took a break and haven't made it back yet

Ok thanks!

Merlin1958
06-28-2017, 06:24 PM
I've just finished, "Gwendy's" and man what a piece of crap. IMHO Read as a short story, King had an idea for and handed off to, Chizmar and said "finish it". It was the worst dreck by, King I have ever read!!!! What a piece of garbage!!!!

Girlystevedave
07-05-2017, 10:33 AM
I started The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams. I'm really liking it.

St. Troy
07-05-2017, 11:30 AM
I started The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams. I'm really liking it.

This was good stuff.

WeDealInLead
07-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Just finished To Be Continued by Robert Silverberg. A very satisfying first entry in the "collected Silverberg" series from Subterranean. It's hard to believe some of these stories were written by a college kid. Great story notes too.

Reading When the Great Days Come by Gardner Dozois.

Girlystevedave
07-05-2017, 12:19 PM

This was good stuff.

I'm really liking it and have had to put the book down plenty of times just to laugh at a passage.

dnemec
07-08-2017, 06:57 AM
I just finished a wonderful book entitled Gradle Bird written by an acquaintance of mine. In case someone is looking for a good story with interesting characters, it's available on Amazon.

GRADLE BIRD (https://www.amazon.com/Gradle-Bird-J-C-Sasser-ebook/dp/B06XZR5DKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499525765&sr=8-1&keywords=gradle+bird)

Girlystevedave
07-08-2017, 09:42 AM
I just finished a wonderful book entitled Gradle Bird written by an acquaintance of mine. In case someone is looking for a good story with interesting characters, it's available on Amazon.

GRADLE BIRD (https://www.amazon.com/Gradle-Bird-J-C-Sasser-ebook/dp/B06XZR5DKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499525765&sr=8-1&keywords=gradle+bird)

I just looked it up and it sounds pretty interesting. I've added it to my to read list. :)

dnemec
07-08-2017, 09:44 AM

I just looked it up and it sounds pretty interesting. I've added it to my to read list. :)

Sweet! Hope you enjoy it!

Girlystevedave
07-08-2017, 11:13 AM

Sweet! Hope you enjoy it!

:thumbsup: Me too. I'll be sure to let you know when I get around to reading it.

Girlystevedave
07-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Started The Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon last night. I thought Swan Song would be my next McCammon adventure, but I guess I'm sort of "saving" it since it's such a big book.

peripheral
07-09-2017, 02:40 AM
I just finished Brian Evenson's "Last Days". Jeeeee...sus! I loved it.

Disturbing, original, written in an engaging, punchy crime noir style. I'm a little late to the party on this author but he's now in my top 10 contemporary horror/weird fiction writers. Just read the premise of the book. (And if you read the 2016 reissue with the Peter Straub introduction, save the intro until after - there are spoilers).

kaufen
07-15-2017, 09:35 AM
What it Was - George Pelacanos (re-read)

St. Troy
07-19-2017, 11:00 AM
I recently finished The Second World War, Volume I: The Gathering Storm by Winston Churchill. As I'd said before:

Churchill's writing is dense (you need to be locked in and paying attention), but engaging (not fatiguing) - he whisks the reader through recent history and ongoing events, easily weaving causes, effects, and his own opinions (of course) into a seamless whole. Compelling and rich reading.

To this I would add:

One might expect a book written by someone at the top of the leadership pyramid to be deep with detail, and this is, on all operations in which WC had a hand, which was basically everything - design and manufacture schedules for ships, political events (front page and back room), conversations with significant players, communications (often in the form of his own speeches and memos - don't skip the appendices here (of course, readers should never skip appendices anywhere)), and plans for military operations.

Churchill was skilled at criticizing the philosophies, programs and actions of others, all while managing to speak well of them as people - a gentleman warrior in the arena of public life.

Style is a matter of taste, and I do enjoy his:

"Thereafter mighty forces were adrift, the void was open, and into that void after a pause there strode a maniac of ferocious genius, the repository and expression of the most virulent hatreds that have every corroded the human breast – Corporal Hitler."

"So they go on in strange paradox, decided only to be undecided, resolved to be irresolute, adamant for drift, solid for fluidity, all-powerful to be impotent."

To sum up: the book was what I'd expected and hoped it would be, and more. Highly recommended for those who might have an interest.

St. Troy
07-19-2017, 11:01 AM
I just started The Second World War, Volume II: Their Finest Hour by Winston Churchill.

amazinglostmc
07-26-2017, 09:39 AM
Finished reading Reflections: An Oral History of Twin Peaks by Brad Dukes. Currently reading Lynch on Lynch by Chris Rodley. Nothing's better than a David Lynch kick, especially on dark and stormy nights, when it's almost feels like fall already.

WeDealInLead
07-29-2017, 03:17 AM
PKD - The King of the Elves

webstar1000
07-29-2017, 02:10 PM
Just starting Boys Life... damm I am loving this book.... does it stay as good as the first 100 pages guys?

TravelinJack
07-30-2017, 04:00 AM
Just starting Boys Life... damm I am loving this book.... does it stay as good as the first 100 pages guys?

An easy yes! One of my all time favorites, enjoy!

Girlystevedave
08-01-2017, 11:50 AM

YES. Yes it does.
I'm so glad you decided to give it a go and are enjoying it. You're in for such a treat.

webstar1000
08-01-2017, 02:04 PM

YES. Yes it does.
I'm so glad you decided to give it a go and are enjoying it. You're in for such a treat.

I love it... one of my favourite books in years. 300 pages in and loving every word!

Girlystevedave
08-01-2017, 02:15 PM
Awesome! That's how I immediately felt when I started it.

TravelinJack
08-01-2017, 02:23 PM

YES. Yes it does.

I love it... one of my favourite books in years. 300 pages in and loving every word!

Awesome! That's how I immediately felt when I started it.

Ditto to you both. I remember thinking, how the hell hadn't I heard of this or read this years ago.

jsmcmullen92
08-16-2017, 05:11 AM
I finally got around to picking up the Strain trilogy and giving it a shot. I'm not a huge fan of Hogan's writing style so far. It feels a little choppy and almost like a script.
For example most people tend to flow dialog:
"Do you like it?", asked PersonA
"Yes," said PersonB. "I do like it."

Where as Hogan's is more
PersonA asked "Do you like it?"
PersonB said "Yes, I do like it."
Just doesn't flow and interrupts the flow to tell you who they are up front. Other than that though I am enjoying the story so far.

webstar1000
08-16-2017, 06:06 AM
I love love LOVED Boys Life. What a great book. Made me smile the whole way through:) I am ready Gwendy next and man it is a quick read BUT I still have half way to go. I like it so far:)

Girlystevedave
08-16-2017, 08:03 AM
I love love LOVED Boys Life. What a great book. Made me smile the whole way through:)

Awesome!

Were you a big weepy mess by the time it came to and end? Or was that just me? :lol:

webstar1000
08-16-2017, 08:14 AM
I love love LOVED Boys Life. What a great book. Made me smile the whole way through:)

Awesome!

Were you a big weepy mess by the time it came to and end? Or was that just me? :lol:

It made me miss being a kid... and the last epilogue.. was sad. Made me miss where I grew up. I LOVED IT.

fernandito
08-16-2017, 08:32 AM
Juggling a bunch of shit right now;

Rerereading Dark Tower V. Hopefully I'll get to actually finish the journey this time.
Boy's Life, based on Amanda's recommendation (100 pages in).
Nameless, by Grant Morrison. Love this man and his crazy ass work.

Girlystevedave
08-16-2017, 08:53 AM
Juggling a bunch of shit right now;

Rerereading Dark Tower V. Hopefully I'll get to actually finish the journey this time.
Boy's Life, based on Amanda's recommendation (100 pages in).
Nameless, by Grant Morrison. Love this man and his crazy ass work.

1. I don't know who this Amanda chick is, but she sounds like she knows what's up. You should take her advice on all reading matters. :cyclops:
2. I've kinda been itching to do a Dark Tower reread, but I've got so much other stuff piled on my shelf. .....But the damn tower won't stop calling my name.

St. Troy
08-17-2017, 09:46 AM
I just finished The Second World War, Volume II: Their Finest Hour by Winston Churchill.

Some fun quotes:

"...I said that I was not a military expert, but that my technical advisers were of the opinion that the best method of dealing with a German invasion of the Island of Britain was to drown as many as possible on the way over and knock the others on the head as they crawled ashore."

"Once Hitler was embroiled with Russia this happy state might have been almost indefinitely prolonged, with ever-growing benefits, and Mussolini might have stood forth in the peace or in the closing year of the war as the wisest statesman the sunny peninsula and its industrious and prolific people had known. This was a more agreeable situation that that which in fact awaited him."

Molotov, Soviet Minister of Foreign Affairs, "'expressed the warmest congratulations of the Soviet Government on the splendid succes of the German Armed Forces'. ...No recollection of their miscalculation and former conduct ever prevented the Soviet Government and its Communist agents and associates all over the world from screaming for a Second Front, in which Britain, whom they had consigned to ruin and servitude, was to play a leading part."

"...the Germans certainly read my war books with attention."

"The German Navy itself had been, as we have recorded, knocked about in a most serious manner..."

"When you have got a thing where you want it it is a good thing to leave it where it is."

St. Troy
08-17-2017, 09:58 AM
Based on the repeated raves on this thread, I think I will give Boy's Life a try. (I've read Swan Song and Baal, and while I could recommend them to others, I wasn't wild about them myself).

Girlystevedave
08-17-2017, 10:03 AM
I've yet to read Swan Song, but I can say that Baal was pretty "meh" for me.
I hope that if you do give Boy's Life a try, you end up liking it. :)

DoctorZaius
08-17-2017, 11:45 AM
Finally getting around to reading Doctor Sleep. Pretty good so far.

I think that you will love Boy's Life - one of my favorites.

Brian861
08-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Finally getting around to reading Doctor Sleep. Pretty good so far.

I think that you will love Boy's Life - one of my favorites.

I really enjoyed Doctor Sleep.

TravelinJack
08-17-2017, 03:34 PM
I was very much pleasantly surprised with Doctor Sleep as well.

Heather19
08-24-2017, 03:33 PM
Just read The Handmaid's Tale, what a great book. Has anyone read any of her others?

webstar1000
08-24-2017, 04:20 PM
Just read The Handmaid's Tale, what a great book. Has anyone read any of her others?

The show was really good. Did you see that?

Heather19
08-24-2017, 04:27 PM

Yes, loved the show. It's what prompted me to read the book, and so glad I did. Have you read the book yet?

webstar1000
08-24-2017, 04:34 PM

Yes, loved the show. It's what prompted me to read the book, and so glad I did. Have you read the book yet?

No should I?

Heather19
08-24-2017, 04:55 PM
I'd definitely recommend it. I loved the style of writing. It's a quick read. The show is pretty different, they added in a lot of extra stuff, but both were good in their own ways.

WeDealInLead
08-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Finally finished collected PKD vol. 1, now starting Ilium by Dan Simmons.

webstar1000
08-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Finally finished collected PKD vol. 1, now starting Ilium by Dan Simmons.

Ilium was the second book in my life I never finished.... other than the third book of the Southern Reach.

WeDealInLead
08-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Paula Hawkins - Into the Water

Ricky
08-31-2017, 02:46 PM
Reading Lord of the Flies for the first time and ready to throw it across the room. How can I not be enjoying it just 26 pages in?!

DoctorZaius
08-31-2017, 04:00 PM
Reading John Gardner's, Grendel. Loving it. I have not read an existentialist novel is some time.

WeDealInLead
08-31-2017, 04:39 PM
Paula Hawkins - Into the Water

Gave up on page 55 or so. There are roughly ten characters, none of them are likeable and with all the jumping to and from all the POVs, I've forgotten that there was an actual mystery to be solved. I sort of felt bad about possibly missing out on some big reveal but after reading the less-than-kind reviews, I'm feeling better about quitting.

I think I need some good SF so I'm going back to the Best of Harry Harrison.

Girlystevedave
08-31-2017, 06:34 PM
Reading Lord of the Flies for the first time and ready to throw it across the room. How can I not be enjoying it just 26 pages in?!

You've been on page 26 for a whole day, haven't you? :lol:

webstar1000
09-01-2017, 03:41 AM
Taking this month to finish up the Silo trilogy. I love it. Really easy and fun read.. I expect to start Fall of Hyperion next than BEAUTIES:)

jsmcmullen92
09-01-2017, 05:07 AM
Taking this month to finish up the Silo trilogy. I love it. Really easy and fun read.. I expect to start Fall of Hyperion next than BEAUTIES:)

What did you think of Hyperion? Fall has a great story and just wait for the end!

webstar1000
09-01-2017, 05:10 AM

What did you think of Hyperion? Fall has a great story and just wait for the end!

Quite liked it! I really hear good things about Fall... do wanna finish that.

jsmcmullen92
09-01-2017, 05:12 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAre you gonna go right through with the last 2? I still haven't gotten to those so if you so let me know how they are.

webstar1000
09-01-2017, 06:30 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAre you gonna go right through with the last 2? I still haven't gotten to those so if you so let me know how they are.

Probably not till next year.. .I bought them though:)

Ricky
09-01-2017, 08:23 AM

You've been on page 26 for a whole day, haven't you? :lol:

Since I sent you that text. :lol:

Girlystevedave
09-01-2017, 09:45 AM
Page 26 must be a real doozy. :rofl:

Ricky
09-01-2017, 10:16 AM
I just got to 27 and I feel like I'm being punished.

Girlystevedave
09-01-2017, 10:34 AM
I imagine you only advance 1 page each day. haha

Ricky
09-02-2017, 10:43 AM
It's starting to look that way. Haha.

WeDealInLead
09-22-2017, 10:59 AM
Dean Koontz - The Silent Corner. When he's on, he's on. This is old school Koontz, a balls out conspiracy thriller. No child wonder, no dogs with almost supernatural abilities, no religious mumbo-jumbo. This is first in a series and there's just enough time to read it before the second book is out in November.

TravelinJack
09-22-2017, 02:06 PM
Just started ‘Bird Box’ by Josh Malerman. About a hundred pages in, diggin it. Very intriguing and pretty creepy.

Girlystevedave
09-23-2017, 07:00 AM
I just read the synopsis on Goodreads. It sounds creepy.

I have been slowly creeping through Robert McCammon's The Wolf's Hour for what seems like months at this point. I hate to say it, but I'm scared I'm gonna give up on it and dive into something else. The story isn't bad- I enjoy the characters and the premise, but it just isn't grabbing me for some reason. :(

frik
09-23-2017, 10:18 AM
I have been slowly creeping through Robert McCammon's The Wolf's Hour for what seems like months at this point. I hate to say it, but I'm scared I'm gonna give up on it and dive into something else. The story isn't bad- I enjoy the characters and the premise, but it just isn't grabbing me for some reason. :(

Didn't like it the first time I read it. The second reading was a totally different experience: loved the book.
I finished to McCammons' this week: Mine and Gone South. Both started out great - and about halfways they sort of ran out of steam...Still definitely worth reading though.

sk

Ricky
09-23-2017, 10:26 AM

...and then you take off the dust jacket and realize you are actually reading Lord of the Flies. I knew this sounded familiar! :lol:

Girlystevedave
09-23-2017, 11:01 AM

Didn't like it the first time I read it. The second reading was a totally different experience: loved the book.

sk

Yeah, I expected to love everything about it; Badass werewolf spy story written by someone as awesome as McCammon. But, I just don't know right now...

...and then you take off the dust jacket and realize you are actually reading Lord of the Flies. I knew this sounded familiar! :lol:

Ricky! :rofl:

Maybe I should just "accidentally" leave my book at work like you did Lord of the Flies so I don't have to read it. haha

Ricky
09-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Hey, it's kind of nice knowing I don't have it looming over my head for Sunday. Freeeeeedoooooooom! :lol:

Girlystevedave
09-23-2017, 06:24 PM
:lol: And then you wake up to find it on your bedside table and realize it was all a dream. Ahhh!

Oh man, if Pennywise ever visits you, it's gonna be in the form of Lord of the Flies. :rofl:

dnemec
09-23-2017, 06:46 PM
Just started ‘Bird Box’ by Josh Malerman. About a hundred pages in, diggin it. Very intriguing and pretty creepy.

Just finished it and I thought it was excellent. Don't give many books 5 stars, but that one got it.

I was actually coming here to see if anyone had read any of his other books and could recommend one! Sooo....anyone?

TravelinJack
09-24-2017, 06:11 PM
I just read the synopsis on Goodreads. It sounds creepy.

I hear ya. No shame in stopping a book that hasn’t grasped you. So many to read. It is also tough once you read Boy’s Life. I actually think that’s why he stopped writing for a while and then came back with the Corbet series.

I actually think you’ll really dig Bird Box. Curious your thoughts.

Just finished it and I thought it was excellent. Don't give many books 5 stars, but that one got it.

I was actually coming here to see if anyone had read any of his other books and could recommend one! Sooo....anyone?

About halfway through and want to just sit and finish it. This book is really something and such an interesting kind of ‘creepy’. I haven’t read any of his other work, but am also leaning toward a 5 on this so far.

Roland of Gilead 33
09-24-2017, 11:23 PM
I started i think 2 weeks ago now Mr. Mercedes and i'm only 162 pages into it and it's decent so far but than i don't judge a book this early into a 400 page book. rather i try not to anyways though sometimes it can't be helped. but so far i like it. funny enough i got my mom to read it earlier this year and she loved all 3 of them and she's NOT a king fan normally and RARELY reads this books but this series she really loved.

it's also RARE that she reads any king books before me as it's never happened before and the last time she read any of his was i think when the green mile books came out 20 years ago

Tony Two-Cent
09-25-2017, 04:41 AM
I'm currently reading A LONG DECEMBER by Richard Chizmar. I'm on page 157. I'm loving this book so much. I would love to see a full length novel from him in the future.

Heather19
09-25-2017, 05:51 AM
I really enjoyed Bird Box. Wasn't a huge fan of the ending, but I'm used to that with King's books so it didn't ruin the book for me. I haven't read any of his other books yet, but I hear Goblin is amazing.

webstar1000
09-25-2017, 06:51 AM
Anyone here read The Handmaids Tale?

TravelinJack
09-25-2017, 11:42 AM
I really enjoyed Bird Box. Wasn't a huge fan of the ending, but I'm used to that with King's books so it didn't ruin the book for me. I haven't read any of his other books yet, but I hear Goblin is amazing.

:lol: King and his endings, isn’t that the truth. Just finished Birdbox earlier today. I did not want it to end and was finding myself wanting more. I’m good with how it ended, it could have gone one of a dozen ways that’s for sure, and I felt that, even until just about the very end. I of course don’t want to spoil it for anyone. Overall.... Whew, what a journey. It was a refreshing tale. Well done, Mr Malerman!

Heather19
09-25-2017, 12:04 PM
Anyone here read The Handmaids Tale?

Yes, read it :D

Ricky
09-25-2017, 02:56 PM
When I was at Barnes and Noble last month, I was trying to decide between Lord of the Flies and The Handmaid's Tale. How I wish I would've picked The Handmaid's Tale. :lol:

St. Troy
09-26-2017, 07:26 AM
At least Lord Of The Flies is pretty short, and since it's widely known, it's one of those books that you might as well read to know what the conversation is all about, even if it's terrible.

(FYI, I wouldn't call it awful, but I didn't really enjoy it either - but I'm glad I've read it to at least be "in the know" etc.).

Similarly, I would also recommend that everyone read The Catcher In The Rye, despite that one actually being awful.

Girlystevedave
09-26-2017, 10:28 AM
When I was at Barnes and Noble last month, I was trying to decide between Lord of the Flies and The Handmaid's Tale. How I wish I would've picked The Handmaid's Tale. :lol:

At least Lord Of The Flies is pretty short,

Don't tell Ricky that. He's been stuck on it for forever. :rofl:

Girlystevedave
09-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Currently reading The Body for the first time because I needed a Stephen King fix and it's one of the few stories I've not read yet.

TravelinJack
09-26-2017, 11:28 AM
Started Sleeping Beauties today. So far so good. Great amount of intrigue. Diggin’ it.

Starkraven7
09-26-2017, 12:27 PM
Yes!! It was great - close to the series but not exact. I read it after watching the show.

Starkraven7
09-26-2017, 12:28 PM
I'mcurrently reading Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye.

Heather19
09-26-2017, 01:52 PM

So what's stopping you from heading back and picking up The Handmaid's Tale? :D

Currently reading The Body for the first time because I needed a Stephen King fix and it's one of the few stories I've not read yet.

Oh, you're in for a treat. Such a great story. Have you seen the movie?

Girlystevedave
09-26-2017, 02:09 PM

Oh, you're in for a treat. Such a great story. Have you seen the movie?

Yeah, that's what always made me steer away from the book. But I figure enough time has passed for me to enjoy the book now. :)

Heather19
09-26-2017, 03:24 PM
Did you not like the movie? I really don't mind picturing any of those actors in my head when I read it, unlike The Stand :lol:

TravelinJack
09-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Did you not like the movie? I really don't mind picturing any of those actors in my head when I read it, unlike The Stand :lol:

:lol: If The Stand is rebooted. Cameo for Rob Lowe.

Brian861
09-26-2017, 08:40 PM

I loved the movie and the story. Ugh, The Stand mini-series lol. Hopefully if a movie version is ever made, they get it right.

Girlystevedave
09-27-2017, 04:56 AM

No, I liked the movie. But I usually have a hard time getting into books if I've seen the film version first. It's a great movie.

webstar1000
09-27-2017, 05:46 AM
Just finished the Silo trilogy... Wool was fantastic and it got worst and worse as the series went on. That is too bad as it was a cool concept!

St. Troy
09-27-2017, 05:48 AM
The Stand, like many made for TV movies (and some ordinary ones too), has not aged that well. Having said that, I think it has lots going for it, not least among them the fact that they gave it 4 nights (as opposed to the 2 given to It). Generally the performances are good, and even if you didn't like Ringwald and Nemec (I thought they did fine), you still have Sinise, Miguel Ferrer, Ossie Davis, Ruby Dee, and Ray Walston - that just isn't a bad cast. I don't know how people feel about Rob Lowe, but the more I've seen of him over the years, the more I've liked him, and The Stand was where I really started taking him seriously.

Ricky
09-27-2017, 03:45 PM
At least Lord Of The Flies is pretty short, and since it's widely known, it's one of those books that you might as well read to know what the conversation is all about, even if it's terrible.

Yup, that's why I'm sticking it out to the finish.

Is that one in Different Seasons or Four Past Midnight? I haven't read either. I think they're the only collections I haven't read.

Umm...freaking Lord of the Flies. :lol:

Girlystevedave
09-27-2017, 04:42 PM

Is that one in Different Seasons or Four Past Midnight? I haven't read either. I think they're the only collections I haven't read.

It's in Different Seasons. Does that mean you've yet to read Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption?

Girlystevedave
09-27-2017, 04:44 PM
Got this baby in the mail today. :)

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/da5620fe-758f-41d1-897f-89cd4faf02e8_1.8d3944b09edda6f7dcc88a5202137ee5.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Heather19
09-27-2017, 04:45 PM

Yup, that's why I'm sticking it out to the finish.

Umm...freaking Lord of the Flies. :lol:

:rofl:

Different Seasons and Four Past Midnight are both excellent collections. I recommend both. The Body, Apt Pupil, and Shawshank are all amazing stories. And Secret Garden, Secret Window is one of my favorites.

Girlystevedave
09-27-2017, 04:51 PM
Ah, Secret Window is a great one.

Ricky
09-27-2017, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I haven't read any of those but have heard good things. Next in the King version of my to-read pile is Sleeping Beauties and Eyes of the Dragon.

Girlystevedave
09-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Is it your first read of Eyes of the Dragon?!

TravelinJack
09-27-2017, 06:26 PM
EoD is classic. Great read.

I’m enjoying Sleeping Beauties so far, about 300 pages in.