PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72

Br!an
09-28-2020, 09:43 AM
I am currently reading, for the first time ever,

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever

Love it!

Hunchback Jack
09-28-2020, 10:17 AM
Finished I Am Legend and it deserves the classic status is has. It's also not as dated as I thought it might be due to its age. About to start of Ants and Dinosaurs by Cixin Liu.Agree on I Am Legend. Have you read Liu yet? I plan on Tackling Three Body pretty soon.

seeking: anything DT related #246

Oh, great! Tell us what you think when you're done.

HBJ

Pere Jere
09-28-2020, 02:09 PM
Just finished my first read of ‘salem’s Lot! Really enjoyed it and it appropriately creeped me the hell out. One of my favorite vampire stories now along with Let the Right One In.

Also, even though I got most of the ending story from Father Callahan in Wolves of the Calla it was great to see what happened to him within the SL narrative.

Brian861
09-29-2020, 10:19 AM
Just finished my first read of ‘salem’s Lot! Really enjoyed it and it appropriately creeped me the hell out. One of my favorite vampire stories now along with Let the Right One In.

Also, even though I got most of the ending story from Father Callahan in Wolves of the Calla it was great to see what happened to him within the SL narrative.

One of the scariest books I've ever read.

webstar1000
09-29-2020, 10:24 AM
Well started the Three Bottom Problem. I am getting used to it now. First 25 pages I as unsure... Peter helped me with this recommendation and so far... I am starting to like it more and more. Anyone else a fan here?

Joe315
09-29-2020, 11:18 AM
Well started the Three Bottom Problem. I am getting used to it now. First 25 pages I as unsure... Peter helped me with this recommendation and so far... I am starting to like it more and more. Anyone else a fan here?

The Three Body Problem is good. I still have to read the remaining two in the series.

Lookwhoitis
09-29-2020, 01:59 PM

same with me as Joe stated. I read the three body problem and stopped after that book even though i really enjoyed the premise and the book itself. Part of me thinks that i just read too damn much and my tastes and wants of the "read next" pile are fickle and change on a whim. i feel like i enjoyed the sci fi parts of the three body problem more that the communist party/ historical backstory that was interspersed through the novel, but i eventually got used to that too and kind of thought it was interesting. i put the trilogy down simply because i never got the next book from the library which is how i read a lot of stuff that i dont own. I have a set of the Sub press s/n le's, so i guess i better finish reading the trilogy.

Joe315
09-29-2020, 03:32 PM

same with me as Joe stated. I read the three body problem and stopped after that book even though i really enjoyed the premise and the book itself. Part of me thinks that i just read too damn much and my tastes and wants of the "read next" pile are fickle and change on a whim. i feel like i enjoyed the sci fi parts of the three body problem more that the communist party/ historical backstory that was interspersed through the novel, but i eventually got used to that too and kind of thought it was interesting. i put the trilogy down simply because i never got the next book from the library which is how i read a lot of stuff that i dont own. I have a set of the Sub press s/n le's, so i guess i better finish reading the trilogy.

Similar here. I will get to book 2 and 3 eventually but my TBR is deep and ever growing.

Hunchback Jack
09-29-2020, 06:59 PM
I encourage you all to continue the series. The first is good, but it's really setting things up for the later volumes. Personally, I thought the second book was the strongest.

Glad to hear you're reading it, Kris. Stay with it; it's worth it.

HBJ

webstar1000
09-30-2020, 03:34 AM
I encourage you all to continue the series. The first is good, but it's really setting things up for the later volumes. Personally, I thought the second book was the strongest.

Glad to hear you're reading it, Kris. Stay with it; it's worth it.

HBJ

I am my friend. I feel you got a nack from what I can handle in books. I will come to you for more recommends my man:)

Heather19
10-05-2020, 08:38 AM
Finished up a couple of books recently. A Season With the Witch about Salem in Oct. Enjoyed this one and I'm curious to check out some of his other books now. I saw he has one centered around Poe, so I might seek that one out. Also just finished Mexican Gothic. I enjoyed it although I do wish it was creepier. And currently listening to the audiobook of White Tears by Hair Kunzru.

Heather19
10-17-2020, 06:45 AM
So I've been on a Halloween reading frenzy. I had a stack of books set aside that I planned to read, but then of course switched gears and started reading books that took place on or around Halloween instead.

Harvest Moon by James A Moore - 5/5 Loved this one, great Halloween read, highly recommend

A Season With the Witch by JW Ocker - 4/5 Made me long to return to Salem for a visit, hopefully next year I can make it out there.

Apartment 5 is Alive by Russell Atwood - 5/5 This one is by a local author who also happens to run the best little bookshop in our town, It's about an apartment that has a fondness for Halloween. Perfect little Halloween read.

Torments by Lisa W Cantrell - 5/5 Sequel to The Manse which I read last year, great follow-up. Not quite as good as the first one, but still a great Halloween read.

Now to decide what to read next...

Ricky
10-17-2020, 06:58 AM
You're killing it, Heather! :clap:

I'm over halfway through Rosemary's Baby. It's been a very quick read so far and Ira Levin's writing style is extremely accessible and readable. It's not as overtly scary or horror-ish like I was expecting, though (I guess the second half will lean more into the horror aspects). I'm enjoying it a lot, but it's not quite as good as The Stepford Wives (one of my favorite books).

Heather19
10-18-2020, 06:40 AM
Great to hear, I'll probably start it soon, maybe right after Halloween.

I just picked up Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge and started that one last night. Only 20 pages in but so far so good.

Hunchback Jack
10-18-2020, 09:56 AM
Just finished Perdido Street Station.

Now reading The Time Machine.

HBJ

Still Servant
10-21-2020, 04:36 PM
Has anyone read The Nickel Boys? I thought it was an amazing book. Very timely too. It's a quick read too.

Aremag
10-22-2020, 04:37 AM
My move to Texas has slowed my reading down but I’m currently reading Replay by Ken Grimwood and enjoying it.

Hunchback Jack
10-22-2020, 10:30 AM
Finshed The Time Machine; now reading Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith, the fifth Cormoran Strike novel.

frik
10-22-2020, 11:27 PM

Discovered Stephen Donaldson, and his Thomas Covenant Chronicles, way back in the late '70s - and I was floored! Loved the trilogy in spite of the fact it was not an easy read and Thomas Covenant himself was, well, less than likeable, but the Land, its people and creatures - awesome.
I was thrilled Donaldson published a second trilogy - devoured the books. And then, not even that long ago, the Last Chronicles - four books!

Hope you'll enjoy visiting the Land as much as I did.

sk

peripheral
10-22-2020, 11:33 PM
Thomas Covenant Chronicles has been on my TBR pile for too long.

I just finished Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg. It absolutely floored me. One of the best books I’ve read in years and I agree with King’s observation - Chandler meets The Exorcist.

Girlystevedave
10-26-2020, 12:42 PM

I just picked up Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge and started that one last night. Only 20 pages in but so far so good.

I meant to reread Dark Harvest this Halloween. I really enjoyed it the first time I read it.

Heather19
10-26-2020, 01:52 PM

I meant to reread Dark Harvest this Halloween. I really enjoyed it the first time I read it.

I loved it! I'll definitely read it again some Halloween.

Girlystevedave
10-27-2020, 08:01 AM

I loved it! I'll definitely read it again some Halloween.

Awesome! I'm glad to hear you liked it.

Aremag
11-28-2020, 11:26 AM
Started Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Somehow missed it back in the day and since I have Ready Player Two arriving soon I figured I should read it now. I didn't care much for the movie version but was assured the book was much better.

Hunchback Jack
11-28-2020, 02:36 PM
I’m reading RP2 now - also listening in audio. Liking it so far.

I managed to pick up a signed copy from B&N over Thanksgiving, too, which I’m pretty stoked about.

ajw2910
12-01-2020, 11:07 AM
Just starting Fourth of July Creek by Smith Henderson and then have The Kingdom by Jo Nesbo up next.

Hunchback Jack
12-19-2020, 01:09 AM
“Running toward the light, Parker fired twice over his left shoulder, not caring whether he hit anything or not.”

Butcher’s Moon by Richard Stark.

It’s the last Parker novel before Stark revived him 20 years later, and Stark is bringing his A game. Good Lord, but this man could write.

Garrell
12-19-2020, 06:17 AM
If You See Her - Ania Alhborn. This is my fourth book of hers. Love her stuff

Still Servant
01-04-2021, 06:31 PM
Has anybody read Midnight Library? I'm really loving it so far.

Lookwhoitis
01-04-2021, 07:03 PM
Has anyone read The Nickel Boys? I thought it was an amazing book. Very timely too. It's a quick read too.

Colson Whitehead is on fire. Two Pulitzers in a row. I have liked everything of his I have read and am working my way through his whole catalogue.

Aremag
01-05-2021, 02:59 PM
Just finished Pines by Blake Crouch and I'm sad it took me this long to read it. Such a good book and the two others in the trilogy are waiting for me at my doorstep. Started Within These Walls by Ania Ahlborn as my first book of 2021.

webstar1000
01-05-2021, 03:07 PM
Just finished Pines by Blake Crouch and I'm sad it took me this long to read it. Such a good book and the two others in the trilogy are waiting for me at my doorstep. Started Within These Walls by Ania Ahlborn as my first book of 2021.

The Pines is soooo good. I loved that set. It was one of my top Suntup desires lol

Ricky
01-05-2021, 03:13 PM
I'll echo the Pines love. I think I loved the second one even more. :)

Heather19
01-05-2021, 03:14 PM

What took you so long! :D I'm glad you enjoyed it. The whole series is excellent. I've been dying to do a reread as it's been a number of years since I read it. I recently got them all on audio, so I might give them a listen soon, and see how the audiobooks are.

I started off the year by picking up the third book in Darcy Coates Black Winter series. I loved the first, but the second one not so much. So far this one is fairly enjoyable.

Ricky
01-05-2021, 03:17 PM
Speaking of winter reads, Heather, I meant to ask you the other day for a couple good winter/snowy book recommendations.

webstar1000
01-05-2021, 03:17 PM
Just am half way through Red Rising. I LOVE this book so far. Anyone else read the triology?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heather19
01-05-2021, 04:11 PM
Speaking of winter reads, Heather, I meant to ask you the other day for a couple good winter/snowy book recommendations.

I forget what ones you've read. My top 2 are The Terror by Dan Simmons and Dark Mater by Michelle Paver.

Others that I really enjoyed are
Thin Air - Michelle Paver
Into Thin Air - John Krakauer
White - Tim Lebbon
Voices in the Snow - Darcy Coates
The Shuddering - Ania Ahlborn
Stranded - Bracken Macleod

Top ones on my list to read this year are to finish Darcy's Black Winter series, and Bone White by Ronald Malfi. Also on my list are The White Road by Sarah Lotz, The Arctic Fury by Greer Macallister, The Ascent by Ronald Malfi, Waiting Out Winter by Kelli Own and a bunch that I found on kindle unlimited. So we'll see what ones I actually get to.

Garrell
01-05-2021, 06:38 PM
Half way through The Fireman. Loving it, enjoying it as much as NOS4A2 which is in my all time top 25. Pines is next and looking forward to it.

Stockerlone
01-06-2021, 12:04 AM
Soon there will be many new interesting books.....

All the Horror Books We’re Excited About in 2021
https://tornightfire.com/new-horror-books-in-2021/

Heather19
01-06-2021, 06:24 AM
Half way through The Fireman. Loving it, enjoying it as much as NOS4A2 which is in my all time top 25. Pines is next and looking forward to it.

A lot of people seem to hate on The Fireman, but I absolutely loved it. It's one of my favorites of his. And you're in for a treat with Pines :)

Scoogs
01-06-2021, 10:39 AM
I started the Expanse books in October and am currently reading Tiamat's Wrath(8).
Thankfully Leviathan Falls will be published this year so I won't have to wait long to finish the series.

Brian861
01-06-2021, 11:04 AM

A lot of people seem to hate on The Fireman, but I absolutely loved it. It's one of my favorites of his. And you're in for a treat with Pines :)

I'm definitely in the hater camp thumbsdownsmall

Still Servant
01-06-2021, 02:18 PM

Colson Whitehead is on fire. Two Pulitzers in a row. I have liked everything of his I have read and am working my way through his whole catalogue.

I picked up Underground Railroad and I can't wait to read it along with some of his other stuff. Have you read The Intuitionist? That one sounds interesting.

He spoke to a bunch of students at the school my mom works at a while back over Zoom. It was an interesting session.

Ricky
01-06-2021, 03:13 PM

I forget what ones you've read. My top 2 are The Terror by Dan Simmons and Dark Mater by Michelle Paver.

Others that I really enjoyed are
Thin Air - Michelle Paver
Into Thin Air - John Krakauer
White - Tim Lebbon
Voices in the Snow - Darcy Coates
The Shuddering - Ania Ahlborn
Stranded - Bracken Macleod

Top ones on my list to read this year are to finish Darcy's Black Winter series, and Bone White by Ronald Malfi. Also on my list are The White Road by Sarah Lotz, The Arctic Fury by Greer Macallister, The Ascent by Ronald Malfi, Waiting Out Winter by Kelli Own and a bunch that I found on kindle unlimited. So we'll see what ones I actually get to.

Wow, Heather, thanks! I Googled most of them and I think The Shuddering sounds the most enjoyable to me. I might check and see if BN has it this weekend. :)

I saw The Terror TV show and didn't enjoy it, so I never read the book (I remember you saying that the book was better, though). And I read Dark Matter last year based off your recommendation, but that's the only one.

Heather19
01-06-2021, 05:56 PM
You should give The Terror a shot, it's one of my all time favorite books. I've read it a couple of times. I'm bummed you watched the show because it wasn't that great. Maybe once the memory of it fades you'll give it a read :) And I need to get moving if I even want to read a fraction of the ones on my list :lol:

webstar1000
01-07-2021, 06:45 AM
You should give The Terror a shot, it's one of my all time favorite books. I've read it a couple of times. I'm bummed you watched the show because it wasn't that great. Maybe once the memory of it fades you'll give it a read :) And I need to get moving if I even want to read a fraction of the ones on my list :lol:

I could literally NOT put Terror down. At all.

zelig
01-07-2021, 06:56 AM

Me too. I really liked that book.

webstar1000
01-07-2021, 07:32 AM

WAIT.. what are you trying to say here? SUNTUP limited is ALL I HEARD. hahahahahh JK JK JK

Brian861
01-07-2021, 03:32 PM

WAIT.. what are you trying to say here? SUNTUP limited is ALL I HEARD. hahahahahh JK JK JK

Exactly what I heard as well.

ajw2910
01-11-2021, 07:53 AM
Reading The System by Ryan Gattis right now. About halfway through and really liking it so far.

Heather19
01-17-2021, 11:43 AM
Finished the last two books in Darcy Coates Black Winter series. I really loved the first book, so felt compelled to read the rest of the series, but wasn't that thrilled with them.

Continuing on with my winter horror reads, I just started Bone White by Ronald Malfi.

Ricky
01-17-2021, 04:48 PM
I just started The Shuddering, Heather. :)

Garrell
01-17-2021, 05:28 PM
I just started The Shuddering, Heather. :)
So good, better than Seed.

Ricky
01-17-2021, 07:28 PM
I've never read anything by her before, so I hope it's good.

Heather19
01-18-2021, 05:55 AM
Hope you enjoy it Ricky! I have quite a few of her books but have only read one other. I'll have to make time this year to read them.

Garrell
01-18-2021, 07:39 AM
Pines by Blake Crouch. Really good so far.

webstar1000
01-18-2021, 08:45 AM
Pines by Blake Crouch. Really good so far.

LOVE THAT SERIES. One of my favs.. Keeps getting better to!

Joe315
01-21-2021, 05:57 PM
Anyone here read Axiom’s End by Lindsay Ellis? Just finished it yesterday. I enjoyed it quiet a bit.

Garrell
01-23-2021, 06:08 AM
Finished Pines and a quarter way into Wayward. Absolutely loving it, man what a series.

Heather19
01-23-2021, 09:23 AM
Finished Pines and a quarter way into Wayward. Absolutely loving it, man what a series.

So good, right! It's one of my favorites.

Pere Jere
01-24-2021, 05:44 PM
Just finished my first journey to The Dark Tower. Took a few years and a mix of reading and audio books. Loved every word of it and the ending. Looking forward to taking another trip in the future.

sullichin
01-25-2021, 06:26 AM
Finished recently:
Gilchrist by Christian Galacar - I liked it a lot, VERY SK but done well so I'm not complaining.
The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn - I liked Brother WAY more; this wasn't nearly as exciting. But it was still good and I really like her style

Reading Bag of Bones, like halfway through it now. Someone please tell me this gets much more exciting soon. It's kind of hinting that it will, but holy shit this book is verbose. The narrator recounts every god damn thing that happens to him.

EDIT: And I see people talking about The Fireman. I read that early this year too. It didn't hold a candle to NOS4A2 for me. I think my main issue was that it's telling this really big story but it's all through Harper. There's lots of times where people are telling her things that happened. It's like she escapes into this camp and the camp already has its own history that she's not part of. It got a little better, and I was really into The Stand references. He's really good at making me want to read one more chapter. But I was definitely a little disappointed after NOS4A2

Brian861
01-25-2021, 09:00 AM
Finished recently:
Gilchrist by Christian Galacar - I liked it a lot, VERY SK but done well so I'm not complaining.
The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn - I liked Brother WAY more; this wasn't nearly as exciting. But it was still good and I really like her style

Reading Bag of Bones, like halfway through it now. Someone please tell me this gets much more exciting soon. It's kind of hinting that it will, but holy shit this book is verbose. The narrator recounts every god damn thing that happens to him.

EDIT: And I see people talking about The Fireman. I read that early this year too. It didn't hold a candle to NOS4A2 for me. I think my main issue was that it's telling this really big story but it's all through Harper. There's lots of times where people are telling her things that happened. It's like she escapes into this camp and the camp already has its own history that she's not part of. It got a little better, and I was really into The Stand references. He's really good at making me want to read one more chapter. But I was definitely a little disappointed after NOS4A2

Bag of Bones is one of my favorite King novels so hopefully it'll get better for you. I couldn't get through the TV show.

The Fireman fell completely flat for me. I didn't care for it at all. This type of novel definitely needed more happening outside of Harper.

sullichin
01-25-2021, 09:47 AM
Finished recently:

Bag of Bones is one of my favorite King novels so hopefully it'll get better for you. I couldn't get through the TV show.

The Fireman fell completely flat for me. I didn't care for it at all. This type of novel definitely needed more happening outside of Harper.
Bag of Bones is weird. I read it for long stretches, and it's visualized very clearly in my head. So I'm definitely totally engrossed, but maybe I want it to move faster? When I think about what I just read it seemed like not much happened. But every little thing in this book seems to be relevant/connected. It just feels like he's been setting up the pieces for a really long time. But lots of King books skyrocket after he lays everything out, so I could see it being worth it

Heather19
01-25-2021, 11:53 AM
I loved Bag of Bones as well. Hopefully you'll continue on with it and enjoy it. You'll have to update us when you finish and let us know what you thought of it.

Br!an
01-25-2021, 12:12 PM
I like Bag of Bones.

Ricky
01-25-2021, 03:39 PM
I was just thinking the other day how I'm craving some King. :)

On the other hand, I don't want to spoil myself with reading a new SK book with Later so close to being released.

Ben Mears
01-25-2021, 03:51 PM
Bag of Bones is weird. I read it for long stretches, and it's visualized very clearly in my head. So I'm definitely totally engrossed, but maybe I want it to move faster? When I think about what I just read it seemed like not much happened. But every little thing in this book seems to be relevant/connected. It just feels like he's been setting up the pieces for a really long time. But lots of King books skyrocket after he lays everything out, so I could see it being worth it

BOB is King's "literary" novel and it reads as such.

Merlin1958
01-25-2021, 07:14 PM
Hannibal Rising. Just finished If it Bleeds and a re-read of Needful Things too.

Girlystevedave
01-27-2021, 10:55 AM
I was just thinking the other day how I'm craving some King. :)

On the other hand, I don't want to spoil myself with reading a new SK book with Later so close to being released.

Me too! I just picked up The Dark Half yesterday, thinking I might reread it for the first time in years just because I was craving some older King. It's been so long since I read The Dark Half that I can't remember much about it, but after picking it up yesterday, I don't know if I'm "feeling" it.

Ricky
01-27-2021, 05:46 PM
Oh, I love The Dark Half! I read it back in...2007, I think. So it's definitely been awhile for me, too. But I know what you mean about not "feeling" it. Sometimes I pick a book I want to read, start it, but the "craving" has kind of passed.

Garrell
01-28-2021, 06:18 AM
Finished Wayward by Blake Crouch. Such an awesome trilogy. Taking a one book pause and switching before I read the final book just to savior it. Reading The Five by Robert McCammon and liking it so far.

webstar1000
01-28-2021, 07:25 AM
Finished Wayward by Blake Crouch. Such an awesome trilogy. Taking a one book pause and switching before I read the final book just to savior it. Reading The Five by Robert McCammon and liking it so far.

I LOVED it... so wanted Suntup to do that.. AND not Gauntlet.

kingfan2323
01-28-2021, 08:40 AM
Let the Right One In and loving it so far!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ajw2910
01-30-2021, 05:36 PM
Reading “Ink” by Jonathan Maberry. Shaping up to be a good, strange read.

Aremag
01-31-2021, 11:31 AM
Just finished Falling Angel which was quite the fun read. Starting Suffer The Children by John Saul since I received a CD ARC of it and it is something I never thought about reading before.

Hunchback Jack
01-31-2021, 02:19 PM
Red Dragon, by Thomas Harris. It’s a reread, but I’ve only read it once about 25 years ago. I remember liking it, but there are a lot of details I’ve forgotten. The writing holds up.

HBJ

Brian861
02-01-2021, 05:40 PM
Red Dragon, by Thomas Harris. It’s a reread, but I’ve only read it once about 25 years ago. I remember liking it, but there are a lot of details I’ve forgotten. The writing holds up.

HBJ

Read it last year for the first time and I really enjoyed it.

Hunchback Jack
02-02-2021, 12:24 AM

HBJ

Read it last year for the first time and I really enjoyed it.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through now, and it's *very* good. I remembered it being good, but not this good.

HBJ

Ben Mears
02-02-2021, 06:56 AM
More Better Deals by Joe Lansdale. He is one of the best writers of dialogue going and his stories aren't too shabby either!

sullichin
02-07-2021, 09:10 AM
I finished Bag of Bones. It had some of my favorite King writing but definitely nowhere near my favorite King story. Good ending.

Finished Gone To See The River Man by Kristopher Triana. I loved it.

BigJoeHillfan
02-09-2021, 06:54 AM
Finished Three Body problem, and The Dark Forest, Halfway through Death's End by Cixin Liu. The best Sci-Fi trilogy that I have read since The Passage. :excited:
Although I guess The Passage is more horror than Sci-fi.

Garrell
02-09-2021, 06:58 AM
Finishing up The Five by Robert McCammon. Very solid story, one of my favs by him so far.

webstar1000
02-09-2021, 07:35 AM
just got a few copies Later in the mail from Titan... will be reading this ASAP!

Heather19
02-09-2021, 08:34 AM
Started House of Leaves. I'm enjoying portions of it, but also hating portions of it so far.

I'm also continuing on with my winter horror reads with The Eleventh Floor by Shani Struthers. Has anyone read any of her books? I read another around Christmastime that I loved, and another one that I didn't care for as much. Enjoying this one so far, and thinking of checking out some more, just not sure what ones to pick up.

burgerhicks80
02-09-2021, 09:22 AM
Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule

Still Servant
02-09-2021, 06:27 PM
I just finished The Vanishing Half. Really fantastic read with super timely themes.

sullichin
02-11-2021, 08:40 AM
Finished Three Body problem, and The Dark Forest, Halfway through Death's End by Cixin Liu. The best Sci-Fi trilogy that I have read since The Passage. :excited:
Although I guess The Passage is more horror than Sci-fi.

I read the first two books. The first one was great, but Dark Forest was amazing. I keep putting off Death's End because I've been focusing on horror. But I can't wait to read it.

I finished The Girl Next Door (Jack Ketchum) and Full Brutal by Kristopher Triana.

Girl Next Door was good. Obviously a horrendous story. I didn't love the sympathetic main character.

Anyone else read Kristopher Triana's books? He makes Bachman seem like RL Stein (in terms of violence/sex/gore). I heartily recommend Gone To See The River Man. It was fantastic. I really liked Full Brutal too -- although it got so extreme that it dilutes the impact a little.

Hunchback Jack
02-11-2021, 07:03 PM
The first one was great, but Dark Forest was amazing.

^^ This.

Garrell
02-12-2021, 06:44 AM
The last Town - Blake Crouch
What a fun fast paced series, sad to see it end. Going to have to read some other stuff by him.

CRinVA
02-12-2021, 08:10 AM
Sidhartha by Herman Hesse - I try to mix in some old classics every now and then,

Just finished The Bank by Bentley Little and loved it 'til the end. The ending was weak. Altogether though this is my third Bentley Little book and I like his style.

Next up might be a King re-read, though not sure which one - plenty to choose from, but for sure will pick one I've only read once!

fernandito
02-12-2021, 09:33 AM
What a fun fast paced series, sad to see it end. Going to have to read some other stuff by him.

I hear that Dark Matter is pretty excellent. It's on my list.

Garrell
02-12-2021, 12:08 PM
I own that one and Recursions limited's, got them for Xmas. They are on my list also.

Heather19
02-12-2021, 12:14 PM

I hear that Dark Matter is pretty excellent. It's on my list.

Dark Matter is excellent, as is his latest Recursion, which I think is even better. Plus alot of his earlier books are really good. Honestly I don't think you'll be disappointed in anything you pick up by him :D Feev you should read Summer Frost. It's nothing new idea wise, but I think it's one you would really enjoy.

Garrell, I don't know if you ever read on a kindle, but a lot of his older books are available on KU. Also there's a whole slew of short stories based off of the world he created in Wayward Pines that build on the story. They're all written by different authors. I've read a handful and some were pretty good. They're all available on KU as well.

craigobau
02-12-2021, 12:33 PM
The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones

Garrell
02-12-2021, 12:43 PM
I will be checking out more of his stuff, Wayward Pines was amazing.

fernandito
02-12-2021, 03:37 PM
Feev you should read Summer Frost. It's nothing new idea wise, but I think it's one you would really enjoy.

Just read the synopsis on Amazon - SOLD! It's in my cart, will in all likelihood be my next book :D

Kongo
02-12-2021, 03:49 PM
Just finished my first reading of The Colorado Kid in anticipation of Later. I'm not sure how to feel about it, lol. Stephen King said you'll either love it or hate it, but I'm truly in the middle. I can see why people like it, just as much as they might hate it. We'll see how I remember the book with the passage of time

Hunchback Jack
02-13-2021, 04:00 PM
Just finished my first reading of The Colorado Kid in anticipation of Later. I'm not sure how to feel about it, lol. Stephen King said you'll either love it or hate it, but I'm truly in the middle. I can see why people like it, just as much as they might hate it. We'll see how I remember the book with the passage of time

I feel somewhat ambivalent about the novels written during King's "novels don't need a satisfying ending" kick. CK was one of those, I think.

HBJ

Heather19
02-13-2021, 06:23 PM
Feev you should read Summer Frost. It's nothing new idea wise, but I think it's one you would really enjoy.

Just read the synopsis on Amazon - SOLD! It's in my cart, will in all likelihood be my next book :D

Let me know what you think of it :D

Still Servant
02-15-2021, 04:37 PM
Has anybody read The Thursday Murder Club? It's a fun read so far.

ajw2910
02-15-2021, 04:56 PM
Has anybody read The Thursday Murder Club? It's a fun read so far.

Yes, I enjoyed it. Hoping he writes more with those characters.

Just started “The Nightworkers”. Haven’t read far enough to form any opinion yet.

Garrell
02-17-2021, 04:13 PM
Let The Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist. Already enjoying it and barely into it. The writing flows well.

Ricky
02-17-2021, 04:42 PM
When you're done, try Handling the Undead. Not only my favorite of his, but one of my favorites period.

Heather19
02-17-2021, 04:59 PM
Have you read Harbor Ricky? I have the audiobook of it, was planning to start it soon. I haven't read anything by him yet, but I've had quite a few on my to-read list. I'll have to add the one you mentioned.

Ricky
02-17-2021, 05:55 PM
No, that's the one I haven't read.

Garrell
02-17-2021, 07:04 PM
When you're done, try Handling the Undead. Not only my favorite of his, but one of my favorites period.

Added to my list

Aremag
02-18-2021, 06:41 PM
Just finished Let The Right One In and overall i found it enjoyable. I did think there were too many secondary characters I didn't care about and wished more time was spent with Eli and Oskar. I'd give it a 3.5/5. Starting The Last Human by Zack Jordan.

averagegatsby
02-20-2021, 02:49 PM
I'm currently reading The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller.

Girlystevedave
02-22-2021, 08:28 AM
I'm still doing a reread of the Dark Tower series. I stalled for a bit in the middle of Wizard & Glass (no surprise), but am not into Wolves of the Calla. I am really enjoying this reread. Jake and Eddie just went Todash. :D

Girlystevedave
05-11-2021, 11:57 AM
Has anyone read Space Team by Barry J Hutchison? I just recently discovered the series and it has been so much fun to read so far.

Lookwhoitis
05-11-2021, 03:29 PM
Currently reading wildly popular series published by Sub Press whose books I can not afford.

I've read the 1st Murderbot Novella and will be starting the second soon and i'm in the middle of reading Pierce Brown's Red Rising.

ratchet41
05-11-2021, 04:35 PM
currently reading Mr. Mercedes (2014) for the 1st time

Brian861
05-12-2021, 01:24 PM
currently reading Mr. Mercedes (2014) for the 1st time

A good read I thought.

ratchet41
05-12-2021, 06:01 PM
so far it is a good book but though i have #76 pages left in it i know it's not thus far anyways going to be among my favorites of his but that doesn't mean i don't think it's a bad book either cause it's not

webstar1000
05-13-2021, 03:23 AM
Day 11 into my absolutely fuckin stupid Covid house arrest. They closed bookstores. WTF. I literally cannot get any books to read. My collection is in storage while I go insane in this 655sf apt. Uggg I wanna read

Heather19
05-13-2021, 06:43 AM
You should be able to get the kindle app for your computer or phone. I know it's not the same as reading an actual book, but it's something. I honestly love my kindle for that reason. I'm never without a book. Plus there's so many lesser known authors on there that I would have never come across otherwise.

ratchet41
05-13-2021, 11:36 PM
dude just buy a kindle if ya don't have any books and just download some books it's Epub or mobi. well i did finish Mr. Mercedes (2014) i give it 8/10. now i'm reading Killer's Wedge (1959) by Ed McBain the 8th i think? book in the 87th Precinct series

i use Calibre for my Kindle as i still buy books and read both paperback and hard back books but i don't have every book so i download the ones i don't have cause some of them are out of print or hard as hell to find.

Garrell
05-14-2021, 11:03 AM
Finished Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. Great book, fun read.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-14-2021, 11:57 AM
Finished Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. Great book, fun read.

No Pot Boilers!
I mean no Spoilers!
I'm reading THE HOLLOW ONES by Del Toro and Hogan (not Colonel), and enjoying it very much.

burgerhicks80
05-14-2021, 12:08 PM
Just finished Later by Stephen King now I'm onto Shakespeare For Squirrels by Christopher Moore

ratchet41
05-14-2021, 10:27 PM
how was Later? i downloaded and put it onto my Kindle but i haven't started it yet i fully plan on buying it though as i always buy one for me and my brother for X-mas for him

TCCBodhi
05-15-2021, 12:58 AM
I just started reading The Dark Tower for the very first time as a whole, and probably my last time for some time to come after I just wrapped up my Chronological reread of all of his other novels/short stories/etc. I struggled with how to handle The Gunslinger. At first I thought I'd embrace the cyclic nature of the tale (SPOILER!) and read the original version first, then read the revised version immediately after finishing The Dark Tower; in the end though I decided to read the 2 versions of Gunslinger side by side, a chapter at a time. I'm really enjoying it this way, seeing the additions and changes that he made, and frankly shows how much he's matured as a writer since the publication of the original.

Roland and Jake have just finished their palaver with The Man In Black and are headed into the caves and toward the Fall. I'm getting ready for that blow not once, but twice......or perhaps THIS time Roland won't let it happen....I can hope.

frik
05-15-2021, 01:18 AM
Will begin Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness today, after which I'll finally get to Mountains of Madness Revealed. This is a collection of shorts, released by PS Publishing, edited by Darrell Schweitzer. As it says in the introduction,

"This entire book is a sequel to H.P.Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness. All of the stories herein take place after the events in the Lovecraft story...."

It has been awhile since I read anything HPL, so absolutely thrilled to get around to this collection. And for those interested, the book is still available, in both a signed and unsigned edition.

https://www.pspublishing.co.uk/mountains-of-madness-revealed-hardcover-edited-by-darrell-schweitzer-4895-p.asp

sk

ratchet41
05-15-2021, 08:33 PM
reading on your celly? that's fucked up i refuse to go that route much like i don't watch tv on my celly either or movies anyways my book came yesterday that i ordered off of all places Wall mart which is and that's The Empty Chair by Jeffery Deaver (2000) the 3rd Lincoln Rhyme book for get this $3.93 that's without tax and it's the hard back and honestly it's in pretty good condition for being that cheap i was expecting a book falling apart to be honest

kingfan2323
05-17-2021, 09:50 PM
Seed

ISO: anything DT related #246

fernandito
04-11-2022, 03:59 PM
Has anyone here read The Snowman by Jo Nesbo? (the book that the apparently god awful movie with Fassbender was based off of)

I want to jump straight to book 7, The Snowman, but wondering if I need to have read any of the other novels in the series first...

webstar1000
04-11-2022, 04:20 PM
I did. Great book. Not a great movie. Lol and no you can read any of the books stand-alone

burgerhicks80
04-12-2022, 07:49 AM
Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon

fernandito
04-12-2022, 07:56 AM
I did. Great book. Not a great movie. Lol and no you can read any of the books stand-alone

I know, it broke my heart when I heard the movie sucked. Fassbender, Alfredson directing, awesome premise. Bummer :frown2:

ratchet41
04-28-2022, 06:44 PM
well i'm currently reading London Bridges (2004) by James Patterson it's not one of his best thus far but it's not among his worst either that would Alex Cross #10 i think there's something like #30 of them now i think?

ratchet41
04-30-2022, 12:24 PM
well Early this Morning i finished the said book i hadn't started it recently anyways but last fall but than put it down when i just didn't feel like reading anymore. i dunno what i'm gonna read next to be honest maybe the next book in the series whichis called Mary, Mary (2005) by the same Author of course James Patterson. or maybe something entirely different or hell maybe i'll finish a book i had already started as well?? i just dunno yet don't you just hate it when that happens? i just have to be in the mood for an author or a genre i'm weird like that i dunno why i am but i am.

ratchet41
04-30-2022, 08:18 PM
I will Find you: Solving Killer Cases from my Life Fighting Crime by Joe Kenda (2017) and it's pretty good thus far i'm only 50% into it i'm reading it on my Kindle as i don't currently own it in physical form so i can only go by the Percentage on this one

Hunchback Jack
05-01-2022, 07:23 PM
Taking another journey to The Dark Tower.

ratchet41
05-03-2022, 01:16 PM
good for you i still need to finish my 1st run he he he anyways i finished up the book i was reading the Joe Kenda book it was pretty damn good i think too. now i'm reading as of now anyways who the hell knows if it will change
but i'm reading Mary, Mary (2005) by James Patterson Alex Cross Book #11

Garrell
05-03-2022, 06:05 PM

Love that book and series, best series ever!

ratchet41
05-03-2022, 06:07 PM
honestly i've never heard of that author to be honest

ratchet41
05-09-2022, 01:42 AM
well i'm reading one called Vanishing Ladies (1958) it's an old book by Ed McBain and it's a book he put out as in another name i forget which one cause he used a few different ones in the 50's. anyways it's a pretty damn good book thus far at only #155 pages it was a pretty slow start actually but once things picked up it's turned out to be a pretty damn good book! i've only got #30 pages left of it it to read i dunno what else i'm gonna read after that i'm thinking maybe Dean Koontz i dunno yet we shall see i suppose

burgerhicks80
05-10-2022, 07:46 AM

I loved the first book. I'm onto The Queen of Bedlam now!

BigJoeHillfan
05-10-2022, 07:50 AM
The Burning Girls by C.J. Tudor

Garrell
05-10-2022, 10:07 AM

It gets better every book

ratchet41
05-10-2022, 01:10 PM
well i finished The Vanishing Ladies (1957) i thought it was (1958) i was wrong apparently. McBain did do a lot of books that year to be fair. and it was a damn good one i always read by what i'm in the mood and by the time i felt like reading i was in the mood for the next Alex Cross Book called well Cross from (2006) i'm only on page 42 Chapter 13 which isn't that far at all as i just started it last night but 'm sure it won't take me that long to read this one either lol. of course this one also is written by James Patterson

Stockerlone
05-10-2022, 10:32 PM
finished
boris meyn - fememord
Boris Meyn immerse the reader in the unique culture of the Weimar Republic. Music, policics,Zeitgeist, lifestyle, fashion, architecture, film, literature, just about everything that made the 1920s so special is interwoven with an exciting crime story, lokated in Berlin and my hometown Hamburg.

finished
Richard Lorenz - Amerika-Plakate
Hard to describe, probably the best book I've read this year.

frik
05-10-2022, 11:12 PM

It gets better every book

Absolutely LOVE this series, but the first, Speaks the Nightbird, is still my favorite.

sk

Hunchback Jack
05-12-2022, 12:56 PM

It's an outstanding series. Volume 8 is out next month.

I'm currently on another journey to the Dark Tower. I've just finished The Waste Lands, and am sojourning in Insomnia before continuing on to Wizard and Glass.

HBJ

ratchet41
05-20-2022, 11:43 AM
i have since finished Cross-James Patterson (2006) Alex Cross #12 and i liked it i really did, the book is promoted when it came on and on the cover and the flap of the book as Alex goes after the killer who killed his wife and it was promoted that way as well. however the entire book is him trying to get over her even if she had been killed 12 years before and he wants to be able to move on with his life, yes he does find out who killed her but that's at the really the tale end of the book and i mean within the last few pages of the book. the rest is him going after a different killer and dealing with him. it's a story that really needed to be written and should have been written with him finding out who the fuck killed his wife

a lot sooner than it was but the book gives you false promotion in that the entire book is him going after his wife's killer it wasn't not by far. either way it was a good book but it's not one of my favorites i'd say 4 out of 5 stars anyway i have since started another book in which i had to start this one over and i had only read #53 pages of it anyways so it wasn't that much of it and that's The Last Precinct by Patrica Cornwell (2000) Kay Scarpetta #11. i'm now up to page #162

with Cross i normally don't post all that but since the flap of the book gives you the wrong impression on what it is all about i posted abut that here, the one i am reading now The Last Precinct (2000) Kay Gets Framed for Murder which is a storyline in books and tv shows that honestly has been done to fucking death. it's really surprising that Cornwell didn't do that years before she did this book. in this one she gets framed for killing a Captain? Chief? i forget what the position she was that was killed by a Serial Killer who goes by the name the werewolf. in this one it takes place right after the last one left off, Black Notice (1999) didn't end on a cliff hanger though so if you read the last one and start this one i'd say do that cause they mention shit in the last book that i forgot since i read it last year it's so far a decent book but than i'm not that far into it just yet either the book since i have the paperback of it is only #597 pages so i've still got a long way to go

sorry for the ramblings on here ladies and gents

RichardX
06-01-2022, 03:16 AM
Goldsboro Books has signed copies of the upcoming Werner Herzog novel "The Twilight World" for preorder.

"In his first novel, the great filmmaker, Werner Herzog, tells the incredible story of a Japanese soldier who defended a small island for twenty-nine years after the end of World War II."

Joe315
06-01-2022, 04:10 PM
Goldsboro Books has signed copies of the upcoming Werner Herzog novel "The Twilight World" for preorder.

"In his first novel, the great filmmaker, Werner Herzog, tells the incredible story of a Japanese soldier who defended a small island for twenty-nine years after the end of World War II."

You have to read it in his voice though.

Stockerlone
06-01-2022, 11:43 PM
Neil Gaiman - American Gods

RichardX
06-02-2022, 05:30 AM

If only Klaus Kinski were still alive they could beat each other over the head with copies. Kinski wrote a great narcissistic autobiography. It contains gems like he once contemplated eating a cow while it was still alive during the war because he didn't have the means to kill it (having rejected the idea of strangling the cow with his bare hands as implausible). Also every woman he encountered found him irresistible and insisted on sleeping with him. Or so he says.

fernandito
06-02-2022, 09:23 AM
Neil Gaiman - American Gods

One of my favorite books of all time. First time reading?

Stockerlone
06-02-2022, 10:11 AM

If only Klaus Kinski were still alive they could beat each other over the head with copies. Kinski wrote a great narcissistic autobiography. It contains gems like he once contemplated eating a cow while it was still alive during the war because he didn't have the means to kill it (having rejected the idea of strangling the cow with his bare hands as implausible). Also every woman he encountered found him irresistible and insisted on sleeping with him. Or so he says.

Klaus Kinski, one of the best+crazyest actors ever.
There is a documentary film by Herzog about the shooting of the Fitzcaraldo movie, in which some local actors offered Irl. to kill Klaus Kinskii for being so weird/bizarre---

RichardX
06-02-2022, 12:06 PM

Klaus Kinski, one of the best+crazyest actors ever.
There is a documentary film by Herzog about the shooting of the Fitzcaraldo movie, in which some local actors offered Irl. to kill Klaus Kinskii for being so weird/bizarre---

Here is a great stream of consciousness quote from Herzog about Kinski, the jungle, and God:

Werner Herzog : [On the jungle] Kinski always says it's full of erotic elements. I don't see it so much erotic. I see it more full of obscenity. It's just - Nature here is vile and base. I wouldn't see anything erotical here. I would see fornication and asphyxiation and choking and fighting for survival and... growing and... just rotting away. Of course, there's a lot of misery. But it is the same misery that is all around us. The trees here are in misery, and the birds are in misery. I don't think they - they sing. They just screech in pain. It's an unfinished country. It's still prehistorical. The only thing that is lacking is - is the dinosaurs here. It's like a curse weighing on an entire landscape. And whoever... goes too deep into this has his share of this curse. So we are cursed with what we are doing here. It's a land that God, if he exists has - has created in anger. It's the only land where - where creation is unfinished yet. Taking a close look at - at what's around us there - there is some sort of a harmony. It is the harmony of... overwhelming and collective murder. And we in comparison to the articulate vileness and baseness and obscenity of all this jungle - Uh, we in comparison to that enormous articulation - we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half-finished sentences out of a stupid suburban... novel... a cheap novel. We have to become humble in front of this overwhelming misery and overwhelming fornication... overwhelming growth and overwhelming lack of order. Even the - the stars up here in the - in the sky look like a mess. There is no harmony in the universe. We have to get acquainted to this idea that there is no real harmony as we have conceived it. But when I say this, I say this all full of admiration for the jungle. It is not that I hate it, I love it. I love it very much. But I love it against my better judgment.

ratchet41
06-02-2022, 11:02 PM
Kinski was like Peter Sellers from what i hear really awful people and hard to be around but they were talented as fuck. if what i read about Klaus his own kids could not stand him and didn't even got to his Funeral! if he wrote that in his bio than yeah i believe it. and Sellers was also a really talented guy but his kids also could not stand him and in both cases it's just plain sad i think. anyways

i finished The Last Precinct (2000) by Patrica Cornwell it a good book but it's not one of the best in the series. i'd say 7/10

Stockerlone
06-03-2022, 12:36 AM
Some Klaus Kinski stuff

Kill Kinski

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWqRgweZ3SA

Fiztcarraldo fight english sub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPKODzv1PD4

Herzog-Kinski doku

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpY5xGSRoo

RichardX
06-03-2022, 01:38 PM
Some people learn that complaining and acting outrageously makes them the center of attention. In my opinion, these antics were mostly an affectation by Kinski for that purpose. No doubt he was an insecure narcissist, but a lot of these tantrums were contrived. Still entertaining.

ratchet41
06-22-2022, 08:50 PM
on film yes i agree in real life however i think they wanted to beat his ass and Sellers too and i can't honestly say that i blame them for that either. well i'm reading Blow Fy (2003) the #12 Kay Scarpetta book and as i just posted on my Patrica Cornwell thread she's barely even in it and it's not one of her best either.

Br!an
07-02-2022, 06:38 AM
Everyone said Speaks the Nightbird by McCammon was a good read. Everyone was right. I just finished it and can't wait to start Queen of Bedlam. I order those two to start and have the rest of the series on order from Lividian. :thumbsup:

I'm also reading Mary's Mosaic by Peter Janney. It's a non-fiction account of the murder of Mary Pinchot Meyer who was President Kennedy's mistress. Very revealing, well written and informative.

Hunchback Jack
07-02-2022, 12:40 PM
Yep, McCammon’s the real deal, and the Corbett books are some of his best work. Enjoy the rest of the series, Brian.

I’ll be starting on King of Shadows as soon as I finish up my current reads - Johnny Got His Gun and Wolves of the Calla.

LadyHazmat
07-05-2022, 10:59 AM
Recently revisited The Talisman and Black House. I'm half-way through Wizard and Glass, but after five and half books, I needed a break from Frank Muller's narration. Now I'm listening to The Fisherman by John Langan.

Hunchback Jack
07-08-2022, 06:04 PM
Recently revisited The Talisman and Black House. I'm half-way through Wizard and Glass, but after five and half books, I needed a break from Frank Muller's narration. Now I'm listening to The Fisherman by John Langan.

I like Muiler's narration, but it does get a little tiring after a while - his sometimes-over-dramatic tone does not always make for easy listening.

I've also been taking another journey to the Tower, stopping off along the way to read the relevant side novels and stories in the order they were published. Some stories I've listened to, but the main 7 stories I'm reading in print. I'm reading Wolves of the Calla at the moment, which is better than I remembered.

HBJ

DoctorZaius
07-09-2022, 09:09 AM
After finishing "Elevation" - loved it - I have finally gotten around to Later. I have about 40 pages left - a really good read so far.

St. Troy
07-19-2022, 07:37 AM
I'm also reading Mary's Mosaic by Peter Janney. It's a non-fiction account of the murder of Mary Pinchot Meyer who was President Kennedy's mistress. Very revealing, well written and informative.

I'd never heard of MPM and just quickly glanced at her Wikipedia page; I don't know the details of the murder or her relationship with JFK, but I wouldn't have expected the wife of a CIA official who'd been involved with JFK to have a long life expectancy.

Br!an
07-20-2022, 04:39 AM

I'd never heard of MPM and just quickly glanced at her Wikipedia page; I don't know the details of the murder or her relationship with JFK, but I wouldn't have expected the wife of a CIA official who'd been involved with JFK to have a long life expectancy.

The story is crazy and I haven't even got to all the revelations yet. The murder was definitely an op though.

mae
08-20-2022, 02:46 PM
Just ordered Uzumaki, very excited to start my Junji Ito journey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqmC0y49AlM

Heather19
08-20-2022, 05:52 PM
I bought a few of his books awhile ago but still haven't started them yet. I should get on that.

craigobau
08-21-2022, 03:50 AM
Just finished Locklands, the third and final story in the Foundryside trilogy by Robert Jackson Bennett.

I’m not a big reader of fantasy stories, by this trilogy was outstanding. Highly recommended.

mae
08-21-2022, 10:37 AM
I bought a few of his books awhile ago but still haven't started them yet. I should get on that.

Which books do you have? I've read that starting with his longer works (Uzumaki, Tomie, and Gyo) is best.

Heather19
08-21-2022, 03:44 PM

Which books do you have? I've read that starting with his longer works (Uzumaki, Tomie, and Gyo) is best.

I have Uzumaki, Gyo, Sensor, and Venus in the Blind. I was thinking of maybe starting with a short story, but I've been dying to read Uzumaki since I discovered it was a book. I saw the movie ages ago and loved it. I also really enjoyed Tomie so that ones on my list to pick up.

I think I need to start a list of books I have and then organize by how much I want to read them. Also I have to get back to reading physical books again instead of my kindle. It's just super convenient to read on that so I usually finish one and then just look for another on it versus looking at my bookshelves.

mae
08-21-2022, 03:57 PM
I really can't read books electronically, and no matter how many times I've tried audiobooks, my mind just can't concentrate and all I hear is just words.

WeDealInLead
11-20-2022, 03:53 PM
Pretty good November so far:

Cormac McCarthy - No Country for Old Men. Every day is a loss, time is against you, evil will always exist, your pain is indifferent to your suffering. So damned bleak. Why did I love it then?

Tim Powers - Artificial Light. Another ghost story by Powers. I'll have to reread it because he and Gene Wolfe get better and clearer the second time. Maybe I could've waited for an ebook or a collection but handmade letterpress books are my weakness.

Harlan Ellison - Blood's a Rover. The main story is A Boy and His Dog (3.1 people might remember the movie with Don Johnson as the boy) and then the accompanying short stories and screenplays. It's a post-apocalyptic story with killer gangs, telepathic dogs and mutants. Plus it's Ellison so of course there's going to be some acerbic commentary hidden between the lines on how we're all dumb.

I'm reading and having a tough time getting into Fairy Tale by King. No editor is going to tell uncle Steve to trim the fat, he's too big for that. The book is 600 pages, I'm halfway done and if this were anyone else, I'd have tapped our at page 100. The story IS neat. It's not original at all but it's interesting... or it would be if everything wasn't so long-winded. Update: bottom 3 King.

I'm almost done the Liggoti book I started last month. I'm not enjoying it in the strictest sense. The stories aren't always even stories, it's more about the mood and people disassociating from reality and/or self. It's pretty dense stuff and I can't really rush it. Beach reading old Thomas is not. I would suggest Dr. Locrian's Asylum to anyone who likes Karl Edward Wagner's and T.E.D. Klein's Dark Gods novellas. It's pretty much weird story masterclass storytelling with the emphasis on story.

Currently reading Jeff Vandermeer - Annihilation. What a wonderfully weird and unsettling world. I shouldn't have watched the movie first.

WeDealInLead
11-25-2022, 03:34 PM
The Last House on Needless Street

Cook
11-26-2022, 03:35 PM
Lonesome Dove.. Larry McMurtry
Obviously the greatest western to date.

WeDealInLead
12-05-2022, 05:50 AM
Simon Strantzas - Burnt Black Suns

Hunchback Jack
12-05-2022, 11:08 AM
I've just finished The Fall of Númenor, a collection of Tolkien's disparate Second Age writings, selected and organized chronologically by Brian Sibley.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Although all the material appears elsewhere across many different works, putting it all in historical order makes for a compelling and enlightening narrative. Sibley meticulously footnotes every editorial decision he makes, annotates the text with quotes from Tolkien's letters, Christopher Tolkien's previous commentary, and his own comments, and treats the original material with the highest respect.

And revisiting Tolkien's rich and majestic prose is always a joy.

Now reading Seventh Decimate, the first in Stephen Donaldson's The Great God's War trilogy. I'm rereading the first two volumes in preparation for the just-released final installment, The Killing God.

WeDealInLead
12-14-2022, 07:03 AM
The Last House on Needless Street

I've started a tiny subsection of contemporary genre fiction I like to think of as Future Classics*. "The Last House on Needless Street" just made the list. All the things in the blurb (the one on Goodreads, at least) are true and I was still pleasantly surprised.

* It's a very short list:

Josh Malerman - Birdbox (his only book I enjoyed. It has been diminishing returns since then to the point of unreadability)
Paul Tremblay - A Head Full of Ghosts
Grady Hendrix - My Best Friend's Exorcism
Alma Katsu - The Hunger (You loved "Terror"? You'll love this too then)
Marisha Pessl - Night Film
Elizabeth Kostova - The Historian

I've also bought a couple of inscribed books directly from Philip Fracassi. "Beneath a Pale Sky" was neat. Iain Reid also makes the list but I haven't decided which book.

St. Troy
12-20-2022, 01:22 PM
I've just finished The Fall of Númenor...

I'm looking forward to this; thanks for posting your thoughts.

St. Troy
12-20-2022, 01:24 PM

This was fucking tremendous.

WeDealInLead
12-20-2022, 08:42 PM

This was fucking tremendous.

Right? Truly a secret (or maybe overlooked) gem. Once I clear the next 3 waves (I plan these out in advance), I'll track down a used copy of The Swan Thieves. Her used books are all over the place here and max out at $5.

Currently reading:

Dan Simmons - Prayers to Broken Stones (truly a monumental collection).

Gene Wolfe - Endangered Species. Clues within clues but under all the head scratching whaaa moments, Wolfe's stories are horrific. "The Dark of the June" and its eight pages was as much of an emotional gut punch as Simmons' The River Styx Runs Upstream.

Alastair Reynolds - Belladonna Nights and other Stories. Masterclass SF. Infinitely vast ideas and humane (if not always human) characters. Highly recommend. You don't need to be a fan of science fiction to appreciate this. Think Song of Lya by GRRM.

Heather19
01-02-2023, 03:31 PM
So I bought a bunch of Junji Ito books last year and they've just been sitting on my shelf. My goal this year is to go and start reading the books I already own, so I decided to start with Uzumaki yesterday. I loved it! Flew through it in a day. So today I decided to read Gyo. This one I wasn't as thrilled with, the characters were super annoying and the storyline wasn't as intriguing. I just picked up Tomie a few days ago, and I have a couple of his short story collections, so trying to decide which one I should start on next.

WeDealInLead
01-03-2023, 11:19 AM
Dan Simmons - Prayers to Broken Stones

I started Frankenstein yesterday. I got as far as the second page. Those letters are dreadful. This one might take a while.

Stockerlone
01-03-2023, 11:26 AM
Don Winslow - Kings of Cool

Bev Vincent
01-03-2023, 11:54 AM
Don Winslow - Kings of Cool

I'm also reading Winslow. I just finished City on Fire and am 1/3 of the way through the sequel, City of Dreams.

Ben Mears
01-05-2023, 04:50 AM
Dan Simmons - Prayers to Broken Stones

Some good stories in that collection. Been a while since we've heard from Mr. Simmons.

Stockerlone
01-13-2023, 10:13 AM
Pheromon - Rainer Wekwerth, Thariot

Heather19
01-17-2023, 03:17 PM
Naomi's Room by Jonathan Aycliffe. Super creepy ghost story.

WeDealInLead
01-23-2023, 04:52 PM
Mark Samuels - Glyphotech and Other Macabre Processes

I've read blurbs about Samuels being the UK Liggoti and generally a fine weird fiction writer is in his own right. I've read only four stories in this collection and dunno, this is a lot more straight forward than Liggoti and the greats of Weird Fiction. I admit ignorance about the rest of his body of work (it's sizeable) but to me this was a lot like Books of Blood. Or maybe a less nebulous Laird Barron and John Langan.

Another book I accidentally discovered and have no qualms recommending to a purveyor of a good horror tale.

And I'll just pretend I didn't see the limited editions done by Zagava Press.

kingfan2323
01-23-2023, 05:27 PM
The Magus
Hannibal Rising (audiobook read by Harris)
Cinema Speculation (Quentin Tarantino)

ISO: (1sts f/f), Bazaar, Different Seasons, Mr. Mercedes

WeDealInLead
01-28-2023, 05:58 PM
I just finished The Collector. Lots to talk about, no energy to do so. Brilliant book though.

I'm reading Punktown at the moment but I'm also trying to decide on something meatier. It's either going to be The Hellfire Club or Necroscope.

Stockerlone
01-29-2023, 01:20 AM
Pheromon Sie riechen Dich
Rainer Wekwerth+Thariot -Leseexemplar/ARC

WeDealInLead
02-08-2023, 08:23 PM
Jeff Vandermeer - Authority
Philip Fracassi - Commodore

Tommy
02-11-2023, 03:47 PM
The Shards by Bret Easton Ellis
Semi/fictional autobiography kind of a thing but it is really good. There is a smallish passage about how much SK's novels pushed young Bret into writing and how much he disliked Kubrick's The Shining for not being like the book. Can never tell with Ellis but it might be that we would not have American Psycho without Stephen King's influence.

WeDealInLead
02-13-2023, 08:06 PM
Jonathan Janz - The Dismembered

Heather19
02-15-2023, 09:40 AM

I grabbed this one from KU but haven't started it yet. How is it?

WeDealInLead
02-15-2023, 07:02 PM

Pretty good. It starts off as a Gothic story and ends up like something that'd make the young Clive Barker proud.

There's a scene that in retrospect changes the tone of the story. It's pretty disturbing. You can't miss it. Hold onto your hat after that.

WeDealInLead
02-15-2023, 07:09 PM
Just finished Authority by Jeff Vandermeer. Holy moley, this was INTENSE. Pure psychological terror. The secret room/attic scene made the room 217 seem like unicorns frolicking in some magical meadow under a rainbow.

Reading: Gene Wolfe - Endangered Species. Probably his least nebulous collection. It's actually enjoyable.

Tommy
02-15-2023, 09:15 PM
I wish I could read fast like that

WeDealInLead
02-16-2023, 05:33 AM
The last two books were pretty short. I deleted them but I think they were roughly 110 and 150 pages.

Heather19
02-21-2023, 07:35 AM

Pretty good. It starts off as a Gothic story and ends up like something that'd make the young Clive Barker proud.

There's a scene that in retrospect changes the tone of the story. It's pretty disturbing. You can't miss it. Hold onto your hat after that.

Just got to the turning point in the story! And that scene you mentioned was rough, I admit I skimmed over it. Just knowing what happened is enough for me.

I do love gothic stories so I loved the way he started the book. Hopefully this last half will be just as enjoyable.

Stockerlone
02-24-2023, 02:19 AM
Josh Malerman - Bird Box
Leseexemplar/ARC

webstar1000
02-27-2023, 05:20 AM
Poppy War

Garrell
02-27-2023, 10:49 AM
Just finished Inspection by Josh Malerman. Great book. Better than Bird Box or Malorie which I loved. His best so far. Highly recommend this one. I would love to see a movie but in our overly sensitive times, probably not.

Heather19
02-27-2023, 11:32 AM
Just finished Inspection by Josh Malerman. Great book. Better than Bird Box or Malorie which I loved. His best so far. Highly recommend this one. I would love to see a movie but in our overly sensitive times, probably not.

Inspection is one of favorites of his as well.

mattgreenbean
02-27-2023, 02:20 PM
Revelation by Bentley Little. I've liked all the books I've read by him.

Halloween Horror Nights Unofficial: The Story & Guide 2020 by Christopher Ripley. He tells the stories behind HHN and gives walkthroughs of all the haunted attractions for every single year.

The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford. This is the bathtime book I'm reading to my little girl. I read her a The Boxcar Children book before this. And I'm reading the Magic Treehouse books to her and and my little boy. I use their names instead of the characters names.

WeDealInLead
03-01-2023, 08:48 PM
James A. Moore - Run Like Hell

St. Troy
03-02-2023, 06:54 AM

Let me know if the protagonist ends up getting sent back to his mother in a cardboard box at the end.

WeDealInLead
03-02-2023, 03:02 PM

Let me know if the protagonist ends up getting sent back to his mother in a cardboard box at the end.

He gets worked over pretty hardcore in the second story, but he lives.

Good story, didn't care for that dude one bit. 3/5

webstar1000
03-02-2023, 05:05 PM

I like Bird Box a lot. This is good eh?

Garrell
03-03-2023, 11:19 AM
Kris, this is a must if you liked anything else by him. Just finished Daphne and it was fun but Inspection is one of my favorites in the last few years of anyone.

webstar1000
03-03-2023, 12:15 PM
Kris, this is a must if you liked anything else by him. Just finished Daphne and it was fun but Inspection is one of my favorites in the last few years of anyone.

kk going to audible now to grab. Thanks man!

Ricky
03-03-2023, 04:02 PM
I enjoyed Inspection a lot, loved Malorie, despised Daphne.

WeDealInLead
03-06-2023, 05:26 AM
Zelazny - Damnation Valley.

I found the movie tie-in paperback for $2, hell yeah.

WeDealInLead
03-06-2023, 06:00 AM
Oh yeah, also Ben Bova - My Favorites. The title is a little uninspired but the stories are great.

ajw2910
03-15-2023, 09:21 AM
The Devil Takes You Home, Gabino Iglesias. I like it, but not being bilingual makes it distracting sometimes when he jumps back and forth between languages.

CRinVA
03-17-2023, 07:56 AM
Recently I came upon a paperback Uncorrected Proof of Resistance by Jennifer A. Nielsen.

NOt saure how I even acquired this book but as I am participating in the 2023 Goodreads challenge to read 36 books this year I dove in.

All I can say is wow. Resistance is a story of a 16 year old Jewish girl who in 1943 joined the Re3sistance to fight the invading Germans. These kids and young adults knew they couldn't win but they would rather die fighting than be herded like lemmings to the death camps. Its a poignant story, a sad story, a heroic story and an inspiring story. I couldn't put it down until the end when i took a deep breath and sighed wow this really happened. Some of the characters were real, some fictionalized, but the story told was true. I'm glad I read it.

By the way I am at book 15 in my challenge and may even double my target number.

Stockerlone
03-17-2023, 08:01 AM
Lee Child - Größenwahn / Killing Floor
German Leseexemplar / ARC

Bev Vincent
03-17-2023, 08:11 AM
Small Mercies by Dennis Lehane

Tommy
03-19-2023, 03:23 AM
Loving Fairy Tale so far....

Heather19
03-20-2023, 07:46 AM

How far in are you? I really loved the beginning, and didn't understand the hate I had heard about it. But then the story shifted and I ended up hating it :lol: Hopefully you'll enjoy the whole thing.

CRinVA
03-20-2023, 08:15 AM
Nickle Brickle'Bee: In the Heart of Earthworks

Definitely a fun lighthearted fantasy!

Tommy
03-20-2023, 08:33 AM

How far in are you? I really loved the beginning, and didn't understand the hate I had heard about it. But then the story shifted and I ended up hating it :lol: Hopefully you'll enjoy the whole thing.

Oh dear, concerned now!! :panic:

webstar1000
03-20-2023, 09:43 AM

Oh dear, concerned now!! :panic:

First part LOVED it... I HATE the second half.

Tommy
03-20-2023, 09:49 AM
Interesting! Now I have to get it read before the library wants it back, have to get the large prints from there these days...

Off topic but does anyone know of a member that collects large prints? I really wish I had more than I do now that it's getting harder to read. I want to gawk

WeDealInLead
03-21-2023, 09:01 PM
Clive Barker - Books of Blood 2

Finished Sour Candy by Kealan Patrick Burke in one go. Pretty good stuff, no-nonsense horror with some nicely crafted sentences.

Tommy
03-22-2023, 12:40 AM
Finished Sour Candy by Kealan Patrick Burke in one go. Pretty good stuff, no-nonsense horror with some nicely crafted sentences.

If you are on Twitter or TikTok, KPB has a pretty amusing account and is a lot of fun to follow.

Heather19
03-22-2023, 06:33 AM
Interesting! Now I have to get it read before the library wants it back, have to get the large prints from there these days...

Off topic but does anyone know of a member that collects large prints? I really wish I had more than I do now that it's getting harder to read. I want to gawk

Have you thought about possibly getting kindle? You can change the size of the font to whatever you want. Also the paperwhite isn't lit like a computer screen, so it doesn't give me any eye strain or headaches. It really does visually look like I'm reading a paper page.

Tommy
03-22-2023, 07:24 AM

Have you thought about possibly getting kindle? You can change the size of the font to whatever you want. Also the paperwhite isn't lit like a computer screen, so it doesn't give me any eye strain or headaches. It really does visually look like I'm reading a paper page.

If I want to keep reading, it will come to that eventually. Gosh I will hate giving up reading actual books though. Will still collect!

Heather19
03-22-2023, 07:49 AM
I was hesitant at first as well, but honestly it's my preferred way of reading now. It's just so much easier and more convenient. And yes I still do collect books too. I just bought a house last summer and my dream has finally come true. We had an extra room that I've turned into a library. It's my favorite spot.

WeDealInLead
03-22-2023, 09:10 AM

If I want to keep reading, it will come to that eventually. Gosh I will hate giving up reading actual books though. Will still collect!

A nice edition crafted with thought and love will always improve the experience but, really, the story is the same. I love the full experience (a book is on my lap at this moment): book, cup of tea, cats parked next to me on the couch but I'm also 100% good with having an entire world library in my pocket. It'll do in a pinch. There's no shame in it and the transition period is what you make it.

I also listen to music digitally in my car even though I have 1200 records.

St. Troy
03-22-2023, 10:48 AM
Gosh I will hate giving up reading actual books though.

Will you definitely have to do that eventually? Are there no visual aid workarounds?

I can't imagine having to give up reading physical books - I really hope you can avoid that end.

Tommy
03-22-2023, 11:36 AM
I know readers recognize how bad it is when you want to read but cannot so thank you all.

Garrell
03-22-2023, 06:36 PM
We Sold Our Souls - Grady Hendrix. Really fun so far. I was a metal head in the late 80’s and early 90’s so I may be biased. I like this one much better than Horrorstör, which was a good read.

RichardX
03-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Owen King's "The Curator". Not bad. Oblong has signed copies.

WeDealInLead
04-05-2023, 08:21 AM
Brian Lumley - Necroscope

Found a hardcover for $5. I know this is the first book in a series. Is this one long story or can I stop after Necroscope?

I don't think I have the mental fortitude to start another series.

Cook
04-06-2023, 04:02 AM
Brian Lumley - Necroscope

Found a hardcover for $5. I know this is the first book in a series. Is this one long story or can I stop after Necroscope?

I don't think I have the mental fortitude to start another series.

3 or 4 books.. but what a series. :thumbsup:

Kraken
04-07-2023, 10:16 AM
I’m a huge fan of the Necroscope series which includes the Vampire World Trilogy
The Vampire World Trilogy - highly recommended.

kingfan2323
04-10-2023, 05:48 PM
Hex
From a Buick 8 re-read
Cinema Speculation by Tarantino

ISO: (1sts f/f) perfect: Bazaar, Different Seasons, Mr. Mercedes, Tommyknockers (gold), Rose Madder

Heather19
04-11-2023, 04:20 AM
I really enjoyed Hex.

Finishing up Wakenhyrst by Michelle Paver.

St. Troy
04-11-2023, 05:31 AM

Wakenhyrst was quite good.

Heather19
04-11-2023, 07:47 AM

Wakenhyrst was quite good.

I'm really enjoying it. I also love the ghost stories she wrote. Dark Matter is one of my favorites.

WeDealInLead
04-12-2023, 10:59 AM
Finished a couple of short novels in the last two days.

Dan DeLillo - The Silence. First I was intrigued, then annoyed, then mad that I wasted my time on this.

Jeffrey Ford - Out of Body. Pretty cool. I didn't see the twist coming. Fans of Brian Keene and Kealan Patrick Burke should like this.

DNFd Robert Silverberg - Thorns. I didn't mind it but I wasn't getting anything out of it. For the most part, I prefer Silverberg's early fun SF vs the later more philosophical works.

Currently reading The Left Hand of Darkness, Necroscope, and Night Visions 5 (with Simmons, King and GRRM) and I'm having a blast.

WeDealInLead
04-23-2023, 04:26 AM
A couple of Garys:

Gary Fry - Scourge
Gary McMahon - Rough Cut

WeDealInLead
04-27-2023, 09:19 AM
A couple of Garys:

Gary Fry - Scourge
Gary McMahon - Rough Cut

I added another Gary because I've been meaning to read more of his books.

Gary Braunbeck - In the Midnight Museum

WeDealInLead
04-28-2023, 08:12 AM
Linda Nagata - Edges

Incredible start.

sullichin
05-04-2023, 06:30 AM
The Shards by Bret Easton Ellis
Semi/fictional autobiography kind of a thing but it is really good. There is a smallish passage about how much SK's novels pushed young Bret into writing and how much he disliked Kubrick's The Shining for not being like the book. Can never tell with Ellis but it might be that we would not have American Psycho without Stephen King's influence.

I really liked this book. I saw BEE at an event in NYC and he described it as a "vibe novel", not too concerned with plot. I think that's the best way to approach reading it. The endless repetition of street names in LA reminded me a lot of the constant brand-name dropping in American Psycho

WeDealInLead
05-13-2023, 04:03 PM
Frank Belknap Long - The Horror From the Hills

ratchet41
05-14-2023, 08:17 PM
Kisscut by Karin Slaughter (2002) a damn good one too i think

Stockerlone
05-21-2023, 08:33 AM
Joe R. Lansdale - Dunkle Gewässer / ‎ Edge of Dark Water

WeDealInLead
05-28-2023, 04:28 AM
I'm in the mood for some Bradbury so I'll read Dandelion Wine again.

And then Farewell Summer in August and Something Wicked in September.

I like to get seasonal with my reads.

ratchet41
05-29-2023, 12:31 AM
well i finished Kisscut and loved it but it's not one for everyone nor is it's author either. anyways now i'm reading The Face of Fear (1977) and old Dean Koontz book i counted all the books i've ever actually read by him and the number if you can believe it is fucking #5! this if i actually finish it will be #6! it's not bad so far it's different than what i'm used to from him but that don't really mean much since there's just so much of his i have not read. it's also the Earliest book of his if i finished it i've read. the last one "The Mask (1981) that i read last year holy shit was that awful. that may make a good film if they get someone who writes a good script and it doesn't follow the book or does what the book could not finish it since the book did not feel finished at all. anyways the one i'm on now is pretty good thus far it's not one of his long ones either i'm enjoying it thus far has anyone read it?