PDA

View Full Version : Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

mystima
12-20-2011, 08:42 PM
maybe they need to bring back that movie magic they had when they did Cool World and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I liked the way they put the animated characters in with the live action ones.

On a different note about to watch Super 8. Will see how that turns out.

pathoftheturtle
12-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Sorry, good point about Roger Rabbit, but Cool World not in the same league at all. What they need is creative writing, not just old ideas carelessly plugged into special effects to separate kids who don't know any better from their allowances.

mystima
12-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Sorry, good point about Roger Rabbit, but Cool World not in the same league at all. What they need is creative writing, not just old ideas carelessly plugged into special effects to separate kids who don't know any better from their allowances.

Ain't that the truth.

Just watched Super 8. I will give it 4/5. I liked the way it was done. The story was kinda off a little at times, the dynamic of the loss of a parent didn't work for me because it didn't show to much of it and could have been added to the story a bit more. That is why it gets a 4. The rest of the movie was good. One scene that I thought was really funny is where the strong kids are trying to break a lock with a tire iron and not one can do it and they give the tire iron to the 'geek' and he actually breaks it I liked the way they didn't show the creature till the end of the movie, gives you a lot to think about and what its motivation is the whole time. The kids filming the zombie movie during the whole thing is funny and at the end during the credits they actually show you what the whole short movie is.

Heather19
12-22-2011, 05:29 AM
I just saw the new Muppet movie last night. Has anyone here seen it? It was so much fun. If you're a fan of the Muppets, or remember watching it back in the day then you'll love this film. It was very nostalgic, and hilarious. I highly recommend it.

Still Servant
12-27-2011, 11:37 PM
Has anybody seen Dragon Tattoo yet?

Shannon
12-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Amber and I went to the drive-in a few nights ago, we saw two pretty crappy movies:

Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows
2/5

The Darkest Hour
2/5

Ugh, Holmes was a boring, let's-go-here, let's-go-there movie with some pretty decent action scenes. The Darknest Hour was just ... bad. Characters you didn't care about, horrible little electricity aliens, odd things happening and bad decisions being made just to give the movie something to do, etc. Yuck. Pass on this one.

Shannon
12-28-2011, 08:54 AM
SS, I saw the original Girl With The Dragon Tattoo a while ago, it was a pretty good movie. The storyline was simple, but the characters and situations make it very enjoyable. The new American remake looks to be damn near a shot for shot remake.

DoctorDodge
12-28-2011, 08:58 AM
My advice to get SH out of your head, Shannon? Watch one ep of the modern day tv series Sherlock. You won't regret it! :D

Shannon
12-28-2011, 10:00 AM
I might do that, but there is barely any time. I am rewatching the first two seasons of Spartacus with Amber to ready her for the third season starting in January. Pretty soon we will be watching the first season of Shameless (American, thank you very much! lol) to ready her for the second season starting soon. And then we got the Life On Mars (British, thank you very much! lol) re-watch (or ... watch, for us) and whatever other shows are on. But we'll see.

DoctorDodge
12-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Haha, yeah, thought as much. Ah well, at least there's one awesome British show you'll be watching soon. The first Sherlock mini-series of 3 feature length eps was fantastic, though. Each one was, imho, much better than Guy Ritchie's first film at least. The 2nd series is finally starting soon. I might check out Game of Shadows, but the tv series is just incredible. Think I can squeeze in time for a quick rewatch of that before the Life on Mars watch, methinks.

becca69
12-28-2011, 10:16 AM
I just watched Troll Hunter on Christmas night - a gift from our Norwegian exchange student. What can I say except it's exactly how you would think a Norwegian film about rabid trolls might be. Oh and we watched it dubbed in english. Good stuff.

Shannon
12-28-2011, 10:20 AM
The trailer for Troll Hunter looks pretty good actually. Worth a watch?

fernandito
12-28-2011, 10:25 AM
A Christmas Story

Wow. I can't believe I've waited this long to see it. A wonderfully charming and often hilarious film about a boy who does both his best and his darnest to get his parents to buy him a BB gun - inspired by his favorite radio broadcast hero - for Christmas. An ode to our own childhood, namely the clever (or so we thought) mind gambits we played with our parents, tricking them into buying us what we want, or the extreme lengths we could (and did) go to acquire that which we so pin-headedly coveted. It works as both a family Christmas film and a stand alone comedy, I can definitely see this becoming a new yearly tradition.

8/10

Darkthoughts
12-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Wow, I didn't realise you hadn't seen it - even I've seen it! :D I love the quote in your sig, the other day Ruby was playing something on her DS and said "Fudge!" I gave her a surprised look, because she's not normally that polite, and she said "The Christmas Story type of fudge!"

Heather19
12-28-2011, 11:12 AM
:lol:
I'm so glad you finally watched it Feev! It's not Christmas without it :D

And I really enjoyed Troll Hunter. I'd recommend checking it out.

becca69
12-28-2011, 11:12 AM
The trailer for Troll Hunter looks pretty good actually. Worth a watch?

I would say yes. We might try watching with subtitles. I think the english dubbing didn't do it justice. Oh and it's kinda filmed like Blair Witch.

Still Servant
12-28-2011, 05:12 PM
A Christmas Story

Wow. I can't believe I've waited this long to see it. A wonderfully charming and often hilarious film about a boy who does both his best and his darnest to get his parents to buy him a BB gun - inspired by his favorite radio broadcast hero - for Christmas. An ode to our own childhood, namely the clever (or so we thought) mind gambits we played with our parents, tricking them into buying us what we want, or the extreme lengths we could (and did) go to acquire that which we so pin-headedly coveted. It works as both a family Christmas film and a stand alone comedy, I can definitely see this becoming a new yearly tradition.

8/10

:scared: I can't believe you've never seen it. It's a tradition for me and my family to watch it on Christmas Eve. I'm glad you liked it. Such a great movie with so many great lines/scenes.

Heather19
12-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Stake Land 8.5/10

A post apocalyptic vampire film. I thought it was definitely an interesting take on the whole vampire genre. I'd highly recommend it. Has anyone here seen it?

fernandito
12-29-2011, 02:47 PM
No, but I just IMDB'd it and it sounds intriguing ... I love post apocalyptic settings.

Heather19
12-29-2011, 02:51 PM
I think you'll like it. It kinda reminded me of The Road in a sense. And it's very light on the action and gore.

Shannon
12-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Just watched the trailer. Got a minute into it and then stopped it. Didn't wanna ruin too much because I plan on watching it soon! Looks good. Has the kid from the TV show Revenge in it.

Heather19
12-29-2011, 02:54 PM
It does! Let me know what you think :)

Shannon
12-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Human Centipede 2:
1/5

Ugh! The first one had a pretty good/sick/interesting idea, but was a pretty tame and boring movie. This one had a decent idea, but was a boring and over-the-top sick movie. That would have been fine for me, but it was just ... lame. I have to give it to them though, the main character is one of the most disgusting characters I have ever seen. Every time he was on screen I felt dirty.

Pass on this. Waste of time.

Ricky
12-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Heather, there's your movie! :lol:

Heather19
12-29-2011, 06:25 PM
But I refuse to watch them, I have to put my foot down somewhere. :lol:

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-30-2011, 04:45 AM
I hardly ever look at or post in this thread because opinions are so divergent, but I looked today out of curiosity and only have three things to say:

1. I loved the MUPPETS movie.

2. The best movie I've seen so far this year is HUGO in 3D (followed by LIMITLESS).

3. I will always regret renting THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE, which was by FAR the vilest, sickest film I have ever seen in my life, and I have seen some pretty sickening movies. I literally couldn't sleep that night and had a hard time getting it out of my mind. On that level as a film, it worked perfectly. It was well made, good acting and production values, but the idea and the payoff just made the bile rise in my stomach. Or to put it in more critcal terms - I hated it.

Shannon
12-30-2011, 05:49 AM
Ur2nd, I thought of The Human Centipede as pretty tame. If you really want to be "disturbed", check out A Serbian Film. Easily at the top of the list for me in movies that are like "Oh my God, no ... no ..."

DoctorDodge
12-30-2011, 06:41 AM
Ok, A Serbian Film definitely sounds like one for me to avoid. (I have a certain limit when it comes to gore in movies. Over the top stuff like in Planet Terror and the Final Destination movies I can handle, but torture stuff and drawn out deaths might be pushing it a bit. It's one of the reasons why I really haven't been able to decide if I should watch an Argento movie in full yet.)

Shannon
12-30-2011, 06:55 AM
No, this is over the top as in ... a disgusting overweight man raping a newborn baby.

DoctorDodge
12-30-2011, 07:07 AM

So, clearly a film that's not to Serbia what This Is England was to England. Ok, so that's definitely a film for me to avoid. Well, good to know what kind of wrong moments there are to expect from that film, then!

fernandito
12-30-2011, 07:11 AM
A few weeks ago I made a thread on the IGN forums and I asked users to post their top 5 most sickening, depraved movies, and these are the five that came up the most

1. A Serbian Film
2. The Human Centipede
3. Visitor Q
4. Salo - 120 Days of Sodom
5. Cannibal Holocaust

Jean
12-30-2011, 07:12 AM
I hardly ever look at or post in this thread because opinions are so divergent, but I looked today out of curiosity and only have three things to say:

1. I loved the MUPPETS movie.

2. The best movie I've seen so far this year is HUGO in 3D (followed by LIMITLESS).

3. I will always regret renting THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE, which was by FAR the vilest, sickest film I have ever seen in my life, and I have seen some pretty sickening movies. I literally couldn't sleep that night and had a hard time getting it out of my mind. On that level as a film, it worked perfectly. It was well made, good acting and production values, but the idea and the payoff just made the bile rise in my stomach. Or to put it in more critcal terms - I hated it.

Ur2nd, I thought of The Human Centipede as pretty tame.
So did bears. I actually forgot all about it as soon as the final credits rolled. Lame, as has been said, amateurish, pointless. Much as bears love it sick, it was just - meh, and a waste of time.

Heather19
12-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Ok, A Serbian Film definitely sounds like one for me to avoid. (I have a certain limit when it comes to gore in movies. Over the top stuff like in Planet Terror and the Final Destination movies I can handle, but torture stuff and drawn out deaths might be pushing it a bit. It's one of the reasons why I really haven't been able to decide if I should watch an Argento movie in full yet.)

Yes, you need to :) I still recommend Opera, but if you're worried it's going to be too much then go for one of the tamer ones like Suspiria. Where it's more atmosphere.

DoctorDodge
12-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Once I'm done with Carnivale, maybe. I'll let you know when I do watch one of his films, anyway.

fernandito
12-30-2011, 10:48 AM
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/images/main/the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-2011.jpg

David Fincher continues his winning streak with this diabolically clever and stylish crime thriller, based on the best selling novel of the same name.

The film is, at it's core, a who dunnit set against a frosty and dark Swedish backdrop. It is anchored by it's two leads - Michael Blomkvist, a disgraced journalist who is hired to investigate a murder mystery which is the films central conundrum, bidding his time until the mediatic-backlash of his lost libel case glazes over. The second is Lisbeth Salander - played to perfection by Rooney Mara in what's sure to be the years biggest breakthrough performance - a disturbed, enigmatic, and very bright introvert who works as a surveillance agent. She is socially tone deaf but has near genius intellect in the realm of computers and hacking procedures. Her character is the series's biggest draw for me, personally.

Craig and Mara have great on screen chemistry. It's fascinating to see such visually polar opposite individuals work together to complete the task at hand, they play off each other perfectly : Blomkvist is the calm and collected sleuth, Salander the sporadic and unpredictable detective. Re teaming with Fincher are Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, providing a truly foreboding and haunting sound track that underline some of the films more brooding moments. The tunes mostly work to the films advantage, but there are a few misfires which I will get to shortly. The cinematography is top shelf, with the tenebrous Swedish winter serving as a visually appealing canvas for the characters to traverse. This same canvas is the fulcrum to a series of striking paroxysms that catch the audience off guard. One such violent outburst is a very, very graphic rape scene that takes place during the first hour of the movie. I have to warn those of you that are planning to watch it that the scene is a few minutes long and played very convincingly by the two actors sharing the screen, I could feel the audience (and myself) tensing up once the realization of what was about to happen dawned on me. Mercifully, the scene is over before too long and the film resumes.

There are only two cons that irked me. One was an element of something I praised earlier - the score. As mentioned, the films music largely serves to enhance the atmosphere, but every so often there is a dialogue heavy scene with very loud and obnoxious ruckus that distract the viewer from what's really going on. The intention was to hypnotize you with what's being presented at any given time, but the effect is jarring and makes it difficult to concentrate on what's being said. The 'less is more' approach is definitely something that Fincher needs to work on. The second is a byproduct of the rocky transition from novel to film - there are so many characters to keep track of that at times the viewer is left scratching their heads as to who is being referred to and why. I read the novel and even I didn't know what was going on at times, it took me a while to pick up the thread. I realize that no 2-3 hour movie could ever fully encompass the contents of a 600 page book, but I felt that the addition of a few brief bits of exposition could have gone a long way.

Still, these are only minor complaints in the face of the overwhelming amount of things that this film got right. It's a high point in Fincher's career and definitely one of the best he's ever crafted. One of my favorite films of 2011.

P.S - I don't know if such an award exists, but if it doesn't, one needs to be created solely for this films truly mesmerizing opening credits. Watch it and you'll see what I mean.

8.5/10

DoctorDodge
12-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Cheers for the review, Fernando. I was cautiously optimistic about this, and a review as great as this for someone who's seen the first adaptation and read the book has got me really interested in seeing this now.

fernandito
12-30-2011, 11:35 AM
No worries sir ! Yes, I have seen the original, and while it is a good film in it's own right, I absolutely LOVE this version.

It's a bit difficult for me to put biased aside because I'm a huge admirer of Fincher and his work, but I think in this case the praise is justified. He is a master of his craft and it's a joy to watch him employ everything he's learned as film maker in the work he does. I'm pretty sure you'll end up loving it too.

Ricky
12-30-2011, 03:20 PM
I got the book for Christmas, so I plan on seeing it once I am finished with the book. I'm excited to see what all the hype's about.

Ricky
12-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Melancholia

I had been waiting to see this film since it was first announced awhile back. It sounded like something I’d enjoy, and I definitely did. Unfortunately, it wasn’t playing in any theaters around me, so luckily, I was able to catch it on Video On Demand.

The premise centers around Justine (Kirsten Dunst) suffering from major depression on her wedding day. Meanwhile, a rogue planet, Melancholia, is slowly (and safely, scientists assure) plummeting closer towards Earth.

I’ll say this: the film isn’t for everybody. From it’s incredibly slow (but expertly done) opening sequence, you can comprehend immediately that it’s going to be a very slow paced, deep, emotional journey. And that’s just what makes the film excellent. Von Trier’s choice of exchanging flashy and extravagant set pieces for the subtlety and beauty of nature gives the film a focus and parallel that we see with Justine herself.

And in playing Justine, Kirsten Dunst gives the performance of a lifetime. She not only plays Justine, but becomes her, dominating the screen with her mopey, mentally damaged character. She captivates with her facial expressions, conveying more with actions than any amount of dialogue could, her immense talent for doing so making the audience feel connected to Justine in an incredibly personal way. She not only shows an incredibly heart-breaking accurate portrayal of depression, but shows us that even the most damaged people may be the most calm and reasonable in the face of disaster.

Unlike most films with a similar premise, Melancholia isn’t a disaster movie (though it wouldn’t have hurt the film to give us more information about the planet). There are no natural disasters, collapsing bridges, or elongated scenes of destruction or harrowing escapes; it’s used more as a background piece, serving as a means to show peoples’ differentiating mental states and how they change while under the threat of impending doom. Will Melancholia strike Earth? Before long, you’ll be so swept up in Dunst’s performance and the film's character-driven narrative that you won’t care.

Filling the background is the film’s incredible score, the prelude to Tristan und Isolde, both hauntingly beautiful and foreboding, providing a perfect complement to the film. Unlike many films, the score isn’t played only at times of importance, but throughout the film, as if to remind the audience that in Melancholia, everything is important. Whether it’s Justine’s horrifyingly depressed state, the lush and secluded setting, or Melancholia itself, Von Trier reinforces that everything goes together and has an effect on each other.

However, the film isn’t without its flaws. While it does benefit from its slow pace, there are times where it feels incredibly drawn out for the sake of being drawn out. A shorter runtime eliminating these parts would’ve improved its fluidity and the film as a whole.

There was also a ton of hand-held camera work that, at times, felt incredibly amateurish and useless. Thankfully, Von Trier quits that about halfway through, but it could’ve (and should’ve) been eliminated altogether.

Though these few flaws aren’t nearly enough to outweigh the brilliance of the film as a whole. It’s a cinematic experience that I haven’t had in quite some time. I doubt it’ll be recognized come Oscar season, but do yourself a favor: find some free time, crank the volume, and watch it.

7.5/10

Mattrick
12-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Bruno -

Words cannot describe a few of the things you see in this movie. If you haven't seen it 'dildo bicycle' should provide enough of an image. Apparently this movie made plenty of males leave the theatres and I can see why. It's obvious Cohen did that on purpose as the movie after the first five minutes is relatively tame when it comes to displaying graphic homosexuality. It's not quite as good as Borat but I still found it absolutely hilarious. He's incredibly good at becoming these characters and using them in the real world. While the movies are similar to a SNL character getting their own movie, those characters don't go beyond their show counterpart. Cohen finds a way to breathe humanity into these ridiculous and oddball characters and while their strange ways shock us and and can disgust us, we're able to connect with their strangeness because they come across as human.

3.5/5

Chasing Amy -

I haven't seen this movie in a decade and it was very good the second time around. What I noticed about this movie is how many monologues there are. Many scenes consist of one character pouring their heart and soul out while the other person absorbs and reacts to it. It works extremely well and I wish more movies took an approach like this. Where monologues weren't there was delightful banter, my favourite being the conversation about Archie comics and the underlying homosexuality in it. "You're crazy! Mr. Weatherbee is not fucking Archie! He just wants to help him with his homework!" "Read between the lines." Funny stuff. The characters in the movie are fun and go beyond the possible cookie cutters they could have been and become very three dimensional with character flaws, underlying conflicts and plausible motivations behid their characters. I'm sure this was one of the first movies to really explore homosexuality in society and do it with tact, compassion and some humour. This is my favourite Kevin Smith movie. Jay and Silent Bob is his funniest but this is his best. Highly recommend to anyone who hasn't seen.

4/5

[REC]2 -

This movie was AWESOME. I enjoyed both [REC] and Quarantine and this movie takes it to an all other level. The characters in this movie are fairly bland but it's presented and made in such a way it doesn't matter. It's a thrill ride from start to finish. The 'twist' of the movie is what is the behind the 'zombies' of the movie and it is pretty brilliant. I'm a fan of first person movies if they are done right and [REC] along with Cloverfield and The Last Exorcism have gotten it right. Movies like Paranormal Activity do not compared in this genre. It's a very fun, tension filled, action packed horror movie and if that sounds good to you I say look it up. If you haven't seen the first one I personally recommend Quarantine as both movies are basically identical, Quarantine does add some to the movie though but both are pretty much equal. Highly recommend this one.

Garrell
12-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Warrior - Was actually one of the best sport films made, was better than Rudy.

Heather19
12-31-2011, 07:19 PM
I'll have to check out Rec 2. Usually the sequels are never as good so I've stayed away from it, but you have me intrigued.

Mattrick
12-31-2011, 07:55 PM
You'll like it Heather, it's a very intriguing and crazy movie. It's not like the original that eases into the crazy stuff you're in the thick of it five mins in. I recommend watching it with the sound turned wwaaayyyy up.

And the trailer for [REC]3 looks positively awesome, I am very much looking foward to that one. Explaining the plot of that one spoils the awesome plot of the sequel. I think I've used the word awesome a half dozen times for these movies simply because they reek of awesomeness.

fernandito
01-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Rick - I plan on watching Melancholia as soon as I can get my hands on it. I wonder if it's avaiable for blu ray yet. Must investigate.

Heather / Mattrick - I too am cautious when it comes to certain sequels, and I too am curious as to what this sequel is like. Will add to my queue.

Mattrick
01-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Will be watching Drive and Moneyball this week, looking forward to it.

[REC]2 is great, you'll all like it. [rec]3 looks awesome as well.

fernandito
01-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Tree of Life -

http://media3.torbjornsassersson.com/2011/05/tree-of-life-movie1.png

Let me preface this by saying that I will not be assigning a numbered value to this review. This film is above and beyond that. Even if I wanted to I'd probably find it impossible to do so.

The films plot is bare bones - a man (Sean Penn) is reflecting on his childhood and his rather troubled and tumultuous upbringing. That's it. However, to judge the film solely on the complexity (or lack thereof) of it's plot is to sell it short. The films bread and butter is very poignant and very striking imagery meant to evoke powerful emotion within each viewer. And in this the film succeeds admirably.

Our avatar in this existential background is Penn's character - Jack. Through him we experience a sundry of emotions : the despair of losing a loved one, our sometimes difficult relationship with our parents, our insecurities, our doubts, our moments of greatest triumph, our internal struggle with faith, our moral compass. Each viewer will take something different from watching it, the amount of themes explored will resonate more strongly with some than others. It's really quite astounding how much sentiment Malick has been able to extract from us with the simplest of notions and images. A shot of a soft hand caressing a flower might as well be a love poem. It's just so powerful and the images burn in the retina of your minds eye long after the film is finished.

Admittedly, this film won't be for everyone. It's extensive running time and aforementioned lack of a tangible plot might put many off. If, however, you're a patient viewer willing to enter the world that Malick crafted with no expectations and no preconceived notions, you'll be well on your way to having one of the greatest cinematic experiences you could ever hope to have.

rolandesch
01-03-2012, 11:25 AM
The last film I was was Super 8, I believe. I give it a 8/10.

pathoftheturtle
01-03-2012, 11:39 AM
I hardly ever look at or post in this thread because opinions are so divergent...You mean that no one else's rating can help you decide whether you'd like to see a film yourself or not? I guess that's true, but when I look at this thread, that's never really the reason why.

Just watched Super 8. I will give it 4/5. I liked the way it was done. The story was kinda off a little at times, the dynamic of the loss of a parent didn't work for me because it didn't show to much of it and could have been added to the story a bit more. That is why it gets a 4. The rest of the movie was good. One scene that I thought was really funny is where the strong kids are trying to break a lock with a tire iron and not one can do it and they give the tire iron to the 'geek' and he actually breaks it I liked the way they didn't show the creature till the end of the movie, gives you a lot to think about and what its motivation is the whole time. The kids filming the zombie movie during the whole thing is funny and at the end during the credits they actually show you what the whole short movie is.Meh. The making-a-zombie-movie part was good, very entertaining, but, well, I kind of wish it had been just more of that instead of trying to bring to life around them the other kinds of movies that characters that age would have been watching during that time period. The creature's story was nothing but E.T. crossed with Predator wasn't it?

Emily
01-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Tree of Life -

http://media3.torbjornsassersson.com/2011/05/tree-of-life-movie1.png

Let me preface this by saying that I will not be assigning a numbered value to this review. This film is above and beyond that. Even if I wanted to I'd probably find it impossible to do so.

The films plot is bare bones - a man (Sean Penn) is reflecting on his childhood and his rather troubled and tumultuous upbringing. That's it. However, to judge the film solely on the complexity (or lack thereof) of it's plot is to sell it short. The films bread and butter is very poignant and very striking imagery meant to evoke powerful emotion within each viewer. And in this the film succeeds admirably.

Our avatar in this existential background is Penn's character - Jack. Through him we experience a sundry of emotions : the despair of losing a loved one, our sometimes difficult relationship with our parents, our insecurities, our doubts, our moments of greatest triumph, our internal struggle with faith, our moral compass. Each viewer will take something different from watching it, the amount of themes explored will resonate more strongly with some than others. It's really quite astounding how much sentiment Malick has been able to extract from us with the simplest of notions and images. A shot of a soft hand caressing a flower might as well be a love poem. It's just so powerful and the images burn in the retina of your minds eye long after the film is finished.

Admittedly, this film won't be for everyone. It's extensive running time and aforementioned lack of a tangible plot might put many off. If, however, you're a patient viewer willing to enter the world that Malick crafted with no expectations and no preconceived notions, you'll be well on your way to having one of the greatest cinematic experiences you could ever hope to have.

I really loved this film. I posted this somewhere on your facebook, but I seriously couldn't fall asleep lastnight after watching it. I was absolutely blown away, I think I might even watch it again tonight. I have a question for you, though.

When Jack is reflecting on his childhood and says something along the lines of, "You brought me back", is he talking to his youngest brother and saying he brought Jack back to... normalcy? And made him stop doing the weird things he was starting to do (like the frog attached to the rocket and yelling at his mother and what not)? That's what I got out of that but my friend didn't see it that way.

fernandito
01-03-2012, 12:52 PM
I really loved this film. I posted this somewhere on your facebook, but I seriously couldn't fall asleep lastnight after watching it. I was absolutely blown away, I think I might even watch it again tonight. I have a question for you, though.

I did see that; did you mean that you couldn't fall asleep because you kept thinking about all of the imagery ? It's quite astounding, isn't it ? Really powerful stuff. I've thinking about it all day, I wish I was at home watching it again.

When Jack is reflecting on his childhood and says something along the lines of, "You brought me back", is he talking to his youngest brother and saying he brought Jack back to... normalcy? And made him stop doing the weird things he was starting to do (like the frog attached to the rocket and yelling at his mother and what not)? That's what I got out of that but my friend didn't see it that way.

I do remember hearing him say that but I can't for the life of me remember where and how it was used. I plan on watching it again very soon so I'll be sure to look out for that part and let you know how I interpreted it.

Ricky
01-04-2012, 03:09 PM
I was waiting for someone on here to see Tree of Life. It's really polarizing critics and the general public, it seems.

Still Servant
01-04-2012, 03:46 PM
The Tree of Life

Fernando and I are on the same page, I also will not be giving a numerical score to The Tree of Life. It's just seems impossible. I would also like to preface this by saying that I am not a fan of Terrence Malick's work. I hated the Thin Red Line. The film seemed like it was all over the place and I just could not get into it. The New World is an exercise in patience. The film is so slow and plodding that I questioned my love for cinema after the credits were rolling.

So as you can see, I was a little hesitant about watching The Tree of Life. Mix in the reports of dinosaurs and the creation of the universe and I was really on the fence about seeing it. Then the movie got good reviews and started popping up on a bunch of "best of 2010 lists." Needless to say, I now had to see the movie and I'm glad I did because The Tree of Life is a unique film experience that cannot be duplicated.

The Tree of Life is not so much a movie as it is a series of images and ideas. The plot is thin, especially in the beginning of the film. We don't really start to get to know the characters until about half way through the movie. There are really only three characters that the film follows. The father, played by Brad Pitt, who can be extremely strict (especially with his oldest son) but also very loving at times. The oldest son Jack, played by Sean Penn when he is older. Jack is just coming of age and struggling with numerous emotional feelings. He's constantly being verbally abused by his father and lashing out at the rest of his family because of it. Then there is the mother, played by Jessica Chastain, who is a free spirited, fun loving woman who is often seen showing her children affection. She is the polar opposite of her husband. She also seems to be very close to the Earth and all of the living things that inhabit it, which is a common theme throughout the film.

Jessica Chastain's character is the one I identified with the most. I found her story to be the most inspiring and interesting part of the film. Jessica Chastain also happens to be my summer celebrity crush. After seeing her in The Help, I was instantly drawn to her. She's even more magnetic in the Tree of Life. She's an extremely beautiful woman and some of the photography in the film literally makes it impossible for the viewer to take their eyes off of her. Her face is so expressive that you can really feel what she's going through in every scene. Chastain is a true star and I can't wait to see where her career goes from here.

Perhaps the most talked about part of the film is the creation sequence. It's a little drawn out and, I admit it, more than a little odd, but it worked for me. I'm the kind of person that often reflects on the creation of the Earth and how everything came to be. I think Malick is trying to show us that our lives on Earth is so fleeting. In the grand scheme of things, we are really only here for a small fragment in time. This is something else that I think about a lot. How we have to make the best of life and enjoy it as much as possible because we really aren't here for very long.

What impressed me most about The Tree of Life is the cinematography. It's some of the best work I've seen in years.

With all that being said, The Tree of Life is not for everybody. I couldn't recommend this movie to most people and, to be honest, I don't know if I would ever feel compelled to watch it again. I think my main problem with it, and it's one of the problems I have with a lot of Malick's films, is that there are many scenes that just come off as entirely pretentious. I could understand if some people wrote the whole movie off as that, but there are a lot of important themes going on here. Different viewers will find different themes that impact them more. It truly is a subjective film.

The Tree of Life is unlike any film I've ever seen. That doesn't make it great, but it also doesn't make it bad. It's not the cinematic masterpiece some would make it out to be, but it also shouldn't be dismissed as artsy trash. I think the best thing I can say about The Tree of Life is that hours after the film finished, I was still thinking about it. Even when I woke up this morning, some of the images and themes were still running through my head. For me, that's enough to make it a film that was worth seeing.

Garrell
01-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Larry Crowne - GREAT movie, one of my favorite with Tom Hanks
Cowboys & Aliens - Very Fun Movie

Heather19
01-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Terminator 2: Judgement Day

I watched this film as part of a promise to Feev. Going into it, I wasn't entirely sure what I'd think of it, as it's not my typical type of film. That said, I have to say I really enjoyed it. I absolutely loved the T-1000 as a villain. What a great character! And all the things that he can do and withstand were just really fun to watch. Also there were some pretty funny moments in the film, which were a nice balance to the action. Maybe I'll even go watch some of the others now :D Let me know if you recommend any Feev.

divemaster
01-07-2012, 09:13 PM

I watched this film as part of a promise to Feev. Going into it, I wasn't entirely sure what I'd think of it, as it's not my typical type of film. That said, I have to say I really enjoyed it. I absolutely loved the T-1000 as a villain. What a great character! And all the things that he can do and withstand were just really fun to watch. Also there were some pretty funny moments in the film, which were a nice balance to the action. Maybe I'll even go watch some of the others now :D Let me know if you recommend any Feev.

This is a great film. and, as you say, some very funny moments.

boy John Connor--Mom, cops!
Mom: How many?
John: Uh, all of them, I think.

Jean
01-08-2012, 05:52 AM

I watched this film as part of a promise to Feev. Going into it, I wasn't entirely sure what I'd think of it, as it's not my typical type of film. That said, I have to say I really enjoyed it. I absolutely loved the T-1000 as a villain. What a great character! And all the things that he can do and withstand were just really fun to watch. Also there were some pretty funny moments in the film, which were a nice balance to the action. Maybe I'll even go watch some of the others now :D Let me know if you recommend any Feev.I rather like Terminator 2, but that's it as far as terminators are concerned. The first bored me to tears, and I could never sit through the whole of the third. Don't know if there are any new sequels yet.

Mattrick
01-08-2012, 07:49 AM
Being John Malkovich - (spoilers, my insight into the movie and if you haven't seen it don't read this but if you haven't, I recommend)

This movie at it's core is about sexual repression. It follows the story of Craig and Loddie, a depressed, lowly married couple who obviously settled. Loddie is homely, with puffy, scraggly dim red hair and an unhealthy obsession with animals. Craig has been long since unattractive to his wife, perhaps he never was in the first place. Both of them are beings of incredible sexual longing with whose needs they cannot fulfill for each other. Enter the portal. Craig discovers a small door on the 7 1/2 floor of his office building that leads to a portal inside John Malkovich's head. Craig at first sees this as something significant, a metaphysical can of worms he says. He thinks it should be shared with the world and studied so things can be learned from it. He tells this to a woman who works on the same floor (whom he is smitten with) named Maxine, a domineering, imasculating woman who simply oozes zero sexual tension. This is a woman who is as comfortable inside her own body as she can get. Her confidence in herself and her sexuality is what truly makes her so enticing to Craig; she's experienced, passionate and strong. He wants her so bad he can taste it.

Craig is a puppeteer and a very talented on. Problem is no one really cares about puppets these days his genius is wasted behind a life of no confidence, pitiful self esteem and overwhelming depression. He knows he will never maker it but he can't stop being a puppeteer. He wants to know what it's like to be inside the skin of someone else, to feel what someone else feels because he hates what he feels. He hates himself. He looks for any possible excuse to escape from his life. Upon realizing that he will never get to sleep with Maxine he creates a puppet of her and simulates it himself. For Craig to survive, he must create these bicarious oppourtunities for fear of going mad.

However, things go far worse than Craig could have imagined when Loddie wants to try the portal. Upon being in Malkovich she is enticed by being in the shower while Malkovich is, the sensations of the penis and his male body were so strange and exotic yet terribly familar to her. Upon leaving Malkovich, everything makes sense to her. He comes to the conclusion she wants to be a man and have sexual recorrective surgery and Craig thinks she is crazy and can't simply get over the Malkovich thing. Loddie wants to do it again and while Malkovich is practising reading, Maxine calls him up and Loddie is turned on by being on the other end of a female's affections, she wants it and craves it. She pushes Malkovich to make a date that night and is determined to be inside Malkovich during the date. Having a female look at her the way Maxine does turns her on the way she feels she should be turned on. They both become smitten with each other. The two of them have an affair using Malkovich as a vessel.

This drives Craig mad. Not only is his fixation (and inability) to have sex with Maxine driving him insane but he knows his wife is having sex with her through Malkovich. He feels betrayed and worst of all he is jealous. He locks her inside of a cage. He forces Loddie to call Maxine for a date with Malkovich. Craig begins having sex with Maxine through Malkovich and he feels instantly fulfilled. He feels like he can do anything and he can take on the world. To Craig to sleep with Maxine is to be a king. He uses his confidence to learn to control Malkovich and with his skills manages to be able to stay in him for a long time. Loddie is crushed as Maxine decides to stay with craig, something she said she'd never do.

Being John Malkovich explores the notion of what would you do if you could be someone else and you could sleep with the forbidden fruit? Is it real? I guess that's the big question the movie ponders. Can love be felt between two people when one isn't actually them? Or is it no different than making puppets have sex? This movie asks a very important question; do we fall in love with the vessel or the soul? And I suppose whichever you fall in love with means a great deal about who you are. Does being in a different body change who you are?

Bethany
01-08-2012, 08:29 AM

I've decided Feev must get a kickback for recommending this movie. He stayed on me for over three years to watch it.

Bethany
01-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Melancholia

I had been waiting to see this film since it was first announced awhile back. It sounded like something I’d enjoy, and I definitely did. Unfortunately, it wasn’t playing in any theaters around me, so luckily, I was able to catch it on Video On Demand.

The premise centers around Justine (Kirsten Dunst) suffering from major depression on her wedding day. Meanwhile, a rogue planet, Melancholia, is slowly (and safely, scientists assure) plummeting closer towards Earth.

I’ll say this: the film isn’t for everybody. From it’s incredibly slow (but expertly done) opening sequence, you can comprehend immediately that it’s going to be a very slow paced, deep, emotional journey. And that’s just what makes the film excellent. Von Trier’s choice of exchanging flashy and extravagant set pieces for the subtlety and beauty of nature gives the film a focus and parallel that we see with Justine herself.

And in playing Justine, Kirsten Dunst gives the performance of a lifetime. She not only plays Justine, but becomes her, dominating the screen with her mopey, mentally damaged character. She captivates with her facial expressions, conveying more with actions than any amount of dialogue could, her immense talent for doing so making the audience feel connected to Justine in an incredibly personal way. She not only shows an incredibly heart-breaking accurate portrayal of depression, but shows us that even the most damaged people may be the most calm and reasonable in the face of disaster.

Unlike most films with a similar premise, Melancholia isn’t a disaster movie (though it wouldn’t have hurt the film to give us more information about the planet). There are no natural disasters, collapsing bridges, or elongated scenes of destruction or harrowing escapes; it’s used more as a background piece, serving as a means to show peoples’ differentiating mental states and how they change while under the threat of impending doom. Will Melancholia strike Earth? Before long, you’ll be so swept up in Dunst’s performance and the film's character-driven narrative that you won’t care.

Filling the background is the film’s incredible score, the prelude to Tristan und Isolde, both hauntingly beautiful and foreboding, providing a perfect complement to the film. Unlike many films, the score isn’t played only at times of importance, but throughout the film, as if to remind the audience that in Melancholia, everything is important. Whether it’s Justine’s horrifyingly depressed state, the lush and secluded setting, or Melancholia itself, Von Trier reinforces that everything goes together and has an effect on each other.

However, the film isn’t without its flaws. While it does benefit from its slow pace, there are times where it feels incredibly drawn out for the sake of being drawn out. A shorter runtime eliminating these parts would’ve improved its fluidity and the film as a whole.

There was also a ton of hand-held camera work that, at times, felt incredibly amateurish and useless. Thankfully, Von Trier quits that about halfway through, but it could’ve (and should’ve) been eliminated altogether.

Though these few flaws aren’t nearly enough to outweigh the brilliance of the film as a whole. It’s a cinematic experience that I haven’t had in quite some time. I doubt it’ll be recognized come Oscar season, but do yourself a favor: find some free time, crank the volume, and watch it.

7.5/10

I watched this last night, mainly because Ricky is hellbent on making me watch movies and become cultured or some such nonsense. Anyways, I found this to be a very beautiful movie to watch and listen to. I can only imagine how stunning the visuals would be on the big screen. The opening sequence alone was worth the price of the rental. As Ricky pointed out, the score is wonderful and is an integral part of the experience. All of that being said, I prefer my art in museums not in theaters. To me, the plot was just a prop to the imagery and as captivating and predictable as a Nancy Drew novel. I would liken this movie as taking a very scenic drive to work.....you will enjoy the beautiful sights but you know it's just a big ol'plate of SSDD when the ride ends.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-08-2012, 02:41 PM
WE BOUGHT A ZOO - 8.5 out of 10

pathoftheturtle
01-08-2012, 02:55 PM

I watched this film as part of a promise to Feev. Going into it, I wasn't entirely sure what I'd think of it, as it's not my typical type of film. That said, I have to say I really enjoyed it. I absolutely loved the T-1000 as a villain. What a great character! And all the things that he can do and withstand were just really fun to watch. Also there were some pretty funny moments in the film, which were a nice balance to the action. Maybe I'll even go watch some of the others now :D Let me know if you recommend any Feev.I rather like Terminator 2, but that's it as far as terminators are concerned. The first bored me to tears, and I could never sit through the whole of the third. Don't know if there are any new sequels yet.Yep. Believe it or not, it's called Terminator: Salvation. As if just to up the pretentiousness that much more. :lol:

pathoftheturtle
01-08-2012, 04:19 PM
http://video.adultswim.com/promos/robot-chicken-blue-rabbits-f.html

Empath of the White
01-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Insidous--8/10. I loved the concept of going into the Further. The relevance of the jump scares was nice, too. I docked 2 points for tip toe through the tulips. The ending was great--I just hope its intended as a downer ending and not sequel bait.

Paranomal Activity--9/10. It was a different sort of horror film, but I really liked the couple. I docked a point because it would've been nice to get a hint as to what the demon looked like. I don't mean to say that I wanted to see it full on, just a shadow-outline of its overall form. Something vague but horrifying. I'm jonesing for Part II as I type this up.

Ricky
01-08-2012, 06:27 PM
I watched this last night, mainly because Ricky is hellbent on making me watch movies and become cultured or some such nonsense. Anyways, I found this to be a very beautiful movie to watch and listen to. I can only imagine how stunning the visuals would be on the big screen. The opening sequence alone was worth the price of the rental. As Ricky pointed out, the score is wonderful and is an integral part of the experience. All of that being said, I prefer my art in museums not in theaters. To me, the plot was just a prop to the imagery and as captivating and predictable as a Nancy Drew novel. I would liken this movie as taking a very scenic drive to work.....you will enjoy the beautiful sights but you know it's just a big ol'plate of SSDD when the ride ends.

:couple:

Insidous--8/10. I loved the concept of going into the Further. The relevance of the jump scares was nice, too. I docked 2 points for tip toe through the tulips. The ending was great--I just hope its intended as a downer ending and not sequel bait.

Insidious was the first time I heard that song and it made that scene truly terrifying.

I hope they don't make a sequel as well. Paranormal Activtiy 4 was just greenlit, though.

Heather19
01-09-2012, 03:26 AM
I hope they don't make a sequel as well. Paranormal Activtiy 4 was just greenlit, though.

What...
As if 3 wasn't bad enough.

Jean
01-09-2012, 06:05 AM

I watched this film as part of a promise to Feev. Going into it, I wasn't entirely sure what I'd think of it, as it's not my typical type of film. That said, I have to say I really enjoyed it. I absolutely loved the T-1000 as a villain. What a great character! And all the things that he can do and withstand were just really fun to watch. Also there were some pretty funny moments in the film, which were a nice balance to the action. Maybe I'll even go watch some of the others now :D Let me know if you recommend any Feev.I rather like Terminator 2, but that's it as far as terminators are concerned. The first bored me to tears, and I could never sit through the whole of the third. Don't know if there are any new sequels yet.Yep. Believe it or not, it's called Terminator: Salvation. As if just to up the pretentiousness that much more. :lol:
No.
: in denial :

pathoftheturtle
01-09-2012, 07:51 AM
I saw Terminator 2 at world premiere with packed theater. Definitely lots of fun in the middle of all that feeling. That'll always color my opinion of it, I guess. But you can't sustain the kind of lighthearted camp that made that movie enjoyable. Still, the franchise as a whole is better IMO than what's happened with something like the Aliens series.

fernandito
01-09-2012, 08:19 AM

Yesh ! I'm glad you enjoyed it ! (understatement) :wub:

As for the other installments - If you enjoyed this one, then you'll probably enjoy both parts one and three. In terms of atmosphere, part one is probably superior to it's successor. It might lack the inflated budget and bravura of T2, but it's just as ominous. It's also fun to see how it all started. T3 is essentially T2.5, more high speed and pursuits and witty banter between John Connor and the Terminator. Plus the Terminator vs Terminator action in this one provides some truly memorable fight sequences. I think you'll like it.

Terminator Salvation ... well .... let's just say 3 out of 4 ain't bad :lol:

Bethany
01-09-2012, 08:32 AM

Yesh ! I'm glad you enjoyed it ! (understatement) :wub:

As for the other installments - If you enjoyed this one, then you'll probably enjoy both parts one and three. In terms of atmosphere, part one is probably superior to it's successor. It might lack the inflated budget and bravura of T2, but it's just as ominous. It's also fun to see how it all started. T3 is essentially T2.5, more high speed and pursuits and witty banter between John Connor and the Terminator. Plus the Terminator vs Terminator action in this one provides some truly memorable fight sequences. I think you'll like it.

Terminator Salvation ... well .... let's just say 3 out of 4 ain't bad :lol:

This post just netted Feev $15.

fernandito
01-09-2012, 08:33 AM
$25.

GET IT RIGHT.

Bethany
01-09-2012, 08:42 AM
EXCUSE ME!

Shannon
01-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Terminator 2 will always be in my top thirty, I think. Great movie, non-stop, over-the-top action. The third one, with an exception to the ending, was a little bit of a let down, and the original Terminator was good, but a little slow and dated. I liked Terminator: Salvation, but mainly because of my man-crush on Christian Bale, lol. Come on, it wasn't that bad guys ...

fernandito
01-10-2012, 08:11 AM
True, it wasn't that bad, but compared to what it could have been ...

pathoftheturtle
01-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Compared to what other movies have been, none of them are that good. I mean, there's something to be said for pop, pulp, and over-the-top action now and then, but none of that has been enough by itself to keep a film on my top thirty for a long time now. The Terminator franchise occasionally tries to be deep, but by now it's relatively incoherent.

fernandito
01-10-2012, 08:54 AM
As a franchise, I agree. But T2 as a stand alone project is an amazing film and concept. And it's okay if it only occasionally succeeds in being 'deep', for what it ultimately is it's more than enough.

Jean
01-10-2012, 09:33 AM
the only truly amazing bit I remember is when Arnie steps on those roses. It is a chef-d-oevre of a sequence. The rest seemed to me mildly entertaining, but no more than this. This said, I want to remind you that it takes a lot to genuinely entertain a bear, however mildly. Terminator 2 is neat and somehow sounds true, not as poisonously, calculatedly didactic as other Hollywood action, family, or action-family movies; I even recommended it to my mother, who is much pickier, entertainment-wise, than any male bear.

pathoftheturtle
01-10-2012, 09:36 AM
... it takes a lot to genuinely entertain a bear, however mildly.Still easier than befriending a genuine robot.

fernandito
01-10-2012, 10:24 AM
the only truly amazing bit I remember is when Arnie steps on those roses. It is a chef-d-oevre of a sequence.

Great scene. Other subtle yet amazing scenes -

Sarah reflecting on how the Terminator is - ironically - more fit to be a father than all other potential father figures she encountered over the years.

"I know now why you cry, but it's something I could never do."

the shot of the T-800 standing guard all night without moving an inch, going back to the father figure thing.

So many great scenes, just have to know where to look I guess. Also, I'd love to hear what mother bear thinks of it :lol:

Jean
01-10-2012, 11:42 AM
she said it was nice in a typically American infantile way. She likes some action film time to time, but she is very condescending towards them, far more so than any male bear.

pathoftheturtle
01-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Have you ever seen The Fugitive? Our film remakes of old TV shows have become a virtual epidemic, but that's an exception -- just about the best ever. Awesome little action picture, very iconic, and concise, also a nice simple dramatic piece.

DoctorDodge
01-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Oh, that is a great movie. To be honest it was a long time before I found out it was based on a tv series. (And to be more honest, I can't help but be reminded of one of my favourite quotes when I hear of that movie:

Chris Skelton: I'd hate to end up in prison.
Sam Tyler: Not very likely, is it Chris?
Chris: What if I was wrongly accused of killing my wife like David Janssen in The Fugitive?
Sam: You mean Harrison Ford.
Chris: No I don't.

:lol: )

Shannon
01-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Everything Must Go
Amber: 3/5
Shannon: 3/5

Will Ferrell in a great role. Character development, internal struggle, all that jazz. Enjoyable but a little too uneventful for my tastes. I think you guys would give it a 4/5 though, judging from our comparable past voting histories, lol.

divemaster
01-11-2012, 04:27 AM
Everything Must Go
Amber: 3/5
Shannon: 3/5

Will Ferrell in a great role. Character development, internal struggle, all that jazz. Enjoyable but a little too uneventful for my tastes. I think you guys would give it a 4/5 though, judging from our comparable past voting histories, lol.

I caught this on hotel PPV while on travel a while back. I liked it--maybe a 3.5 / 5 rating from me. Ferrell does a great job portraying the down-and-out fellow who can see it all slipping away, and he has no one to blame but himself.

Still Servant
01-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Has anybody seen Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy? I thought it was an interesting film. The people who were in the theater (mostly elderly people) all seemed to dislike it. Many of them were pretty vocal that they had no idea what was going on. I thought Oldman did a great job. Then again, he always does. I also thought Mark Strong was great. I'm a huge fan of pretty much everything he does.

8.5/10

mystima
01-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Recently saw Green Lantern on DVD this week and will have to say that I enjoyed the movie. Like all movies based on comics that have come out these past few years it did live up to it's potential...at least to me it did anyway...Heard a lot of people didn't like Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan but I think he pulled it off. As most movies based on comics this is one had its fair share of special effects...the best one in the whole of the movie in my opinion is this one. Hal turning the crashing helicopter into a race car and putting it on a race track via Hot Wheels was pretty darn cool

candy
01-15-2012, 03:25 AM
Cowboys and Aliens 8/10

I loved this film, I was expecting silly nonsense but a lot of thought had gone into this, and I really liked Daniel Craigs character. The only niggles I had werethe fact that no one seemed all that surprised by flying saucers and aliens??? But from the start to the finish I was mesmorised

Then I watched Hangover II and had to tear my own eyeballs out, ranking this 0/10 as I had to switch off.
Due to me tearing my own eyeballs out I am struggling to type a narrative sorry

skyofcrack
01-15-2012, 03:40 AM
the only truly amazing bit I remember is when Arnie steps on those roses. It is a chef-d-oevre of a sequence.

I especially liked this because of the reference to GnR.

I just watched a few great films. The Descendants, Moneyball, J. Edgar and Bridesmaids. Gonna watch The Artist tomorrow.

Shannon
01-15-2012, 03:47 AM
Gettin' ready for awards season, are we? :) I did that last year, watched everything with a Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor/Actress, Best Supporting Actor/Actress nominee in it. It was fun. Then me and my friends all bet to see who would get the most correct picks. I won, of course.

This year ... I have too many tv shows got catch up on.

skyofcrack
01-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Gettin' ready for awards season, are we? :) I did that last year, watched everything with a Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor/Actress, Best Supporting Actor/Actress nominee in it. It was fun. Then me and my friends all bet to see who would get the most correct picks. I won, of course.

This year ... I have too many tv shows got catch up on.

Yeah, I try to watch as many as possible. I have a ton of TV to catch up on as well.

The Road Virus
01-15-2012, 07:09 AM
MI: Ghost Protocol- 3.5/5 - Had plenty of action and great visual appeal but it just seemed forced... I don't know. I liked the nods to the earlier movies and action but something just seemed to be off. I did see it in a theater where you could eat and drink booze though, so that was pretty awesome.

Heather19
01-15-2012, 09:23 AM
I just watched a few great films. The Descendants, Moneyball, J. Edgar and Bridesmaids. Gonna watch The Artist tomorrow.

Let me know how this is, I've been dying to see it.

Mattrick
01-15-2012, 11:18 AM
I love you man - I think this is officially my favourite comedy.

skyofcrack
01-15-2012, 03:12 PM

Let me know how this is, I've been dying to see it.

Just finished watching The Artist and WoW is that an amazing masterpiece of cinema. It's gotta win big at the Globes tonight. The question is will enough Academy voters also see it. If they do, they'll vote for it as well. The score is also unbelievable by Ludovic Bource. That has to win the Oscar.

I still have a few more films to go but I can see The Artist winning Best Picture. It would be only the second silent film to win next to Wings in 1929.

Yaksha
01-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon 4.5/5

I have not seen this movie since it was first released and I can not believe it took me this long to see it again. Everything about this movie is amazing. The cast, the music, the setting. It is good for laughs and scares.

Heather19
01-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Is that supposed to be 4.5/5? And I love that movie! It's so underrated.

Shannon
01-17-2012, 02:08 AM
I was gonna say, 4.5 isn't a very good score to give to a movie you think is amazing ... lol

The Devil Inside
Shannon: 4/5
Amber: 4/5

What an enjoyable movie. A 5 all the way through. ALL THE WAY THROUGH! Until the end. It's one of those endings that RUIN a movie and make you think "... seriously? That's it?" I would have watched another hour of that movie and still given it a 5 if they did something different with the ending.

Ugh! So disappointed! :)

Jean
01-17-2012, 02:13 AM
6% at Rotten Tomatoes, and they all concur that it's one of the worst endings in the recorded history. Now I feel I must see it...

Shannon
01-17-2012, 02:56 AM
I don't think it would be your type of movie, it had a Paranormal Activity "I know something is gonna jump out at me, where is it where is it, AAAGAGGHHHH there it is!" kind of a feel to it. The story was good, but you're there for the scares.

But, the reason the ending sucked so bad is because the movie was so enjoyable! The ending was like it was from another movie, it was THAT different a direction. Just ...

Ending. Black. Black. Black. Credits. Disappointment.

Ugh!

Jean
01-17-2012, 03:01 AM
: curious bear :

Heather19
01-17-2012, 04:20 AM
I was gonna say, 4.5 isn't a very good score to give to a movie you think is amazing ... lol

The Devil Inside
Shannon: 4/5
Amber: 4/5

What an enjoyable movie. A 5 all the way through. ALL THE WAY THROUGH! Until the end. It's one of those endings that RUIN a movie and make you think "... seriously? That's it?" I would have watched another hour of that movie and still given it a 5 if they did something different with the ending.

Ugh! So disappointed! :)

A 4/5? Damn, I was gonna go see it this weekend, but then I saw all the reviews said it was horrible so I figured it wasn't worth it. Now I want to see it again :lol:

Yaksha
01-17-2012, 07:34 AM
Yeah I fixed it it was supposed to be out of 5 and my dumbass hit 10. my bad

Mattrick
01-17-2012, 09:42 AM
watched [rec]2 again...still awesome.

The girl Nex Door: About the best teenage comedy ever. The performances are good, most noteably Timothy Olyphant, the laughs are great and the movie is pretty genuine in it's approach. I like that the movie wasn't abut losers having sex but it was realisitic in it's approach of loser's who can't have sex or talk to girls in this modern day when pornography and beautiful women are so accessible to look at. Movie always makes me laugh and really, who doesn't love looking at Elisha Cuthbert in this movie. She gives of such an irresistable sex appeal just manages t portray her innocence and her struggle with how she made her money rather well. It's actually a shame she's not in more movies because she's a terrible actress by any means.

4/5

To Sir With Love: I watched to movie by chance at my mom's and I really enjoyed it. I suppose this was the precurser to movies like Dangerous Minds and such. Sindey Poitier is a great actor it's just a shame I've barely seen him in anything. Going to have to make a point to see In The Heat of the Night and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. I thought his confidence on screen was amazing and he brings his character a large amount of credibility because of this, each line he speaks comes across as genuine.

4/5

pathoftheturtle
01-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Then I watched Hangover II and had to tear my own eyeballs out, ranking this 0/10 as I had to switch off.So... did you like it more than the first one?

To Sir With Love: I watched to movie by chance at my mom's and I really enjoyed it. I suppose this was the precurser to movies like Dangerous Minds and such. Sindey Poitier is a great actor it's just a shame I've barely seen him in anything. Going to have to make a point to see In The Heat of the Night and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. I thought his confidence on screen was amazing and he brings his character a large amount of credibility because of this, each line he speaks comes across as genuine.

4/5Totally. Glad to hear that you've found out. :D

Shannon
01-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Heather, I seem to like a way different type of movie and TV show than most here on the board (have you seen my top 30 and 15 lists?), so my opinion might not be the best one to go by, lol.

I thought The Devil Inside was an hour and a half and thirty seconds of a really really good movie. And then a thirty second ending happened that made me angry for the rest of the night.

Seriously, on the drive home after seeing a comedy show and a few hours of gambling, my girlfriend and I were in the middle of a conversation and I had to stop her and yell out "WHAT KIND OF FUCKING ENDING WAS THAT!?" lol

fernandito
01-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Withnail & I

http://991.com/NewGallery/Handmade-FilmsGeorge-Har-Withnail-And-I-304149.jpg

The first thing that came to mind is how right James was in regards to the dialogue; virtually every line used can be seen as a one liner. I hope to rewatch it sometime in the near future to really lock in a few bits of dialogue into my repertoire :lol:

The film itself is very well made. The two lead actors are phenomenal, it truly did look like they were suffering severe withdrawals. They played off each other admirably, definitely one of the best on screen duos I've seen in a long time. The film struck me as a sort of distant cousin to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (which I'll circle around to momentarily), in that it showcases a pair of hooligans who are fully aware that they are on a downward spiral to self destruction, but seem to be unable to stop themselves. Not only that, they seem to enjoy it. Much of the humor had British sensiblities and might be difficult to decipher for someone who hasn't had prolonged exposure to British cinema, but luckily I've had my fair share so - with very few exceptions - I was able to catch every cheeky, backhanded comment and subtle reference. Then of course, there are the bits of comedy that are universal, like telling a cop that you're not drunk because you've only had a few ales. :lol:

Complaints wise, very few; chief among them was the gay Uncle Marty subplot. I understand the bearing it has on both the characters and the story, but some of those scenes were just painful to watch, they dragged on for far too long. I got the gist of it after a few exchanges, I really didn't need another 15 minutes of screen time dedicated to Marty trying (unsuccessfully) to court "I". That bedroom scene was ... eesh.

Like Fear and Loathing, one of the films underlying messages is the radical change / transition that took place between the 60's and the 70's. Obviously, I wasn't born anywhere near around those two decades, but for the most part the film did a great job at conveying the confusion and sense of dislocation that came between the jarring transition that took place between those two 'eras' that are seperated only by a number. The longing for a world that you knew that would never be accessible to you again. I think that Hunter S. Thompson said it best :

"Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Has it been five years? Six? It seems like a lifetime, the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. But no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time in the world. Whatever it meant.

And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of old and evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

All in all , a fantastic film and one I'm glad I got to experience.

7.5/10

DoctorDodge
01-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Excellent review, Fernando. Really glad you enjoyed it, at last.

Ricky
01-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Some backlog ratings:

Another Earth - 7/10

Underworld - 8/10

Fargo - 6.5/10

Still Servant
01-20-2012, 07:23 PM
I don't think it would be your type of movie, it had a Paranormal Activity "I know something is gonna jump out at me, where is it where is it, AAAGAGGHHHH there it is!" kind of a feel to it. The story was good, but you're there for the scares.

But, the reason the ending sucked so bad is because the movie was so enjoyable! The ending was like it was from another movie, it was THAT different a direction. Just ...

Ending. Black. Black. Black. Credits. Disappointment.

Ugh!

I'm pretty sure you aren't the only one that left the theater disappointed after watching The Devil Inside. According to Cinemascore, The Devil Inside garnered a rare "F" rating. I've since read that this is almost a mathematical impossibility. Remember, Cinemascore has nothing to do with critics. It's a poll taken by people leaving the theater. I have a feeling their displeasure with the film wasn't just the ending.

Jean
01-21-2012, 05:57 AM
feverish - will you re-post your review in Cinema Paradiso? I want to come back to the discussion.

(No, I did NOT forget your Repulsion review. I am trying to do a thousand+ things at once, as usual)

fernandito
01-23-2012, 10:19 AM
The Ides of March

A very entertaining, if somewhat by the numbers political thriller. Ryan Gosling is great as a morally misguided campaign manager that gets a crash course in shady, under the table dealings after his governor (played by George Clooney, who also has directing duties) messes up big time. The film is tightly structured, moving along at a brisk pace, but unfortunately it never struck me as anything special, just decent.

3/5

Moneyball

A romanticized retelling of the Oakland Athletic's struggles to obtain a play off berth with a budget roughly 1/4th that of the higher caliber, top shelf teams (like the Yankees), told through the eyes of their general manager Billy Beane, played with effusive enthusiasm by Brad Pitt. The film is much more than a baseball tale, it's about the courage of sticking to your beliefs and your ideologies in the face of overwhelming odds and vehement disapproval (especially when it's coming from your supposed friends and colleagues). I had a lot more to type but unfortunately my time is short, but suffice to say that this is a very entertaining and very balanced tale of bravery and redemption, using baseball as a backdrop. Highly recommended.

3.5/5

Shannon
01-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Some exciting sequel news having to do with a movie some/most/all of us like. The headline:

THE LAST EXORCISM Wasn't - LINK (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52902)

Jean
01-24-2012, 03:09 AM
as one of the commentors said, "The biggest creative challenge will be coming up with the right title!”

I do not have very high expectations here.

DoctorDodge
01-24-2012, 03:18 AM
I suspect it'll be a horror prequel - you know how hollywood love their prequels these days - and it'll be titled "The First Exorcism".

See, going for that R rating is basically saying, "We're gonna throw any sense of restraint and subtlety out of the window." That may not happen, but it is the likeliest outcome by far.

Jean
01-24-2012, 03:20 AM
I suspect it'll be a horror prequel - you know how hollywood love their prequels these days - and it'll be titled "The First Exorcism". Then they'll be able to fit a lot of prequels in between. Very good idea.

fernandito
01-24-2012, 09:47 AM
I really need to watch TLE.

pathoftheturtle
01-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Nick Cage in Ghost Rider 2 -- some guys never learn!

fernandito
01-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Not Cage, didn't the producers learn anything ? They're the bigger fools for backing the sequel to a film that was a critical and commercial failure. All Cage is thinking is "Oh shit, free $ !"

Ricky
01-24-2012, 02:41 PM
I thought the first one was awful and can't believe they are making another.

Mattrick
01-24-2012, 06:46 PM
If the same people are behind The Last Exorcism sequel then I will be intrigued yet still a little wary of it. However if it's anything like [Rec]2 it could find a way to actually be better. I'm not going to give up hope because The Last Exorcism is one of the best horrors of the last couple decades.

Jean
01-25-2012, 05:06 AM
I thought the first one was awful and can't believe they are making another.I think it's the first time I hear this...

DoctorDodge
01-25-2012, 05:28 AM
I'm hoping he's refferring to Ghost Rider, Jean.

Jean
01-25-2012, 09:07 AM
ah! alright then

Ricky
01-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Yep, sorry! I was referencing Ghost Rider. :lol:

Mattrick
01-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Midnight In Paris -

This was a wonderfully ingenious movie. I had actually no idea what the plot of the movie was in the slightest when I watched it so I was not expecting anything like this. It tells the story of a Gil (Owen Wilson) who is in Paris with his fiance (Rachel McAdams). He was a Hollywood writer and had recently begun a quest to finally write a novel instead of being a hack hollywood writer. While in Paris (and a little drunk) he's walking around at night and stops in front of what I assume is a church (you only see the steps) and when it strikes midnight an old car drives up and some people invite them to come with them. He arrives at a party to discover himself talking to F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda (played by the lovely and talented Alison Pill), soon after he comes face to face with Earnest Hemingway. When he wakes up in his hotel he can hardly believe what happened nor can his fiance.

While in the prescence of his idols and the great artistic minds of the past he's enthralled and flabbergasted. Gil carries on almost like a little kid who got to meet his favourite sports hero. He fumbles over his words. The magic of the city pulls him in as does his experiences in the past. Gil has always felt as if he was born in the wrong time and today's times are boring and stagnant and how he wishes he could be in paris in the 1920's; he romanticizes the city and it's inhabitants much like how one might romanticize a great painting or an ancient piece or architecture. Unlike most people though Gil is literally living in his admiration and he's seemingly drowning in it, each visit to the past revealing more names and fantastic things he wished for so long he could experience. Through these experiences he discovers many things about what makes art great and what makes great art and the people who create and why they make it. A lot of the movie is a commentary on nostalgia itself and the idolization of a past when things were better, simpler and maybe simply better. However, maybe these very same things you love about a bygone era still exists today if you simply go take a walk and see what the city has to offer.

5/5

fernandito
01-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Great, great review Matt. Now I'm really eager to see it. Like I mentioned in the Oscars thread, this film wasn't even on my radar until recently and your review is an added incentive to check it out.

Jean
01-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Great, great review Matt. Now I'm really eager to see it. Yes! I wanted to see it months ago, when I saw the posters in London (it was released there in October), and then I forgot, and now after Mattick's review I remembered - and now I can't find a copy without Russian translation that would be smaller than 12GB!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

fernandito
01-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Good luck with your hunt, Jean !

I asked my friend to bump it up on his queue and let me borrow it when he gets it, so I should hopefully be watching it sometime within the next week !

alkanto
01-26-2012, 09:00 AM
I have a copy of that movie I got online before the whole MegaUpload nonsense happened...I panicked and thought that I would never be able to download anything ever again, so I downloaded a bunch of things. I'll have to watch that soon!

Heather19
01-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Feev, is it on netflix? I had never even heard of it but it sounds really good.

fernandito
01-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Yup, it is ! You should add it so we can watch it at around the same time :)

Heather19
01-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Just put it at the top :)

fernandito
01-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Schweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :D

Mattrick
01-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Great, great review Matt. Now I'm really eager to see it. Yes! I wanted to see it months ago, when I saw the posters in London (it was released there in October), and then I forgot, and now after Mattick's review I remembered - and now I can't find a copy without Russian translation that would be smaller than 12GB!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Without a Russian as in you want one without it? I'm not sure if I read that wrong or right lol. I can provide a good quality link that's only 700 mb. Anything I download is around 700 mb and still fantastic quality. Being able to stream from PC to Xbox and watch my Widescreen with surround sound is great as well.

Jean
01-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Without a Russian as in you want one without it? I'm not sure if I read that wrong or right lol. Why, of course. I always watch films in their original language unless I don't know it at all, like (alas) Hungarian or Japanese. My main source of films is very good, but it is Russian, and their policy is to provide only films with Russian translation. So, if they do have a separate original language track, it makes the size bigger. Most often they have quite reasonable sizes anyway (withing 3 GB), but not in this case; and anything above 3 GB is watchable on my comp.

So I would love to try that link you've mentioned!

Mattrick
01-27-2012, 09:01 AM
http://www.kat.ph/midnight-in-paris-dvdrip-xvid-target-t5893653.html

If you have DivX or Utorrent or another similar program you should be set. If you don't have DivX give it a download, it's a great program.

Jean
01-27-2012, 09:17 AM
yes, I have Utorrent! I am downloading the film now, thank you!!

Mattrick
01-27-2012, 12:57 PM
That site is great. I search the movie, check out the ones around 700 mb and check the comments to make sure they are positive. They're pretty much DVD quality. Tree of Life looked fantastic.

skyofcrack
01-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I just went through a blitz of movies last night to get ready for the SAG awards. Here's what I saw:

The Iron Lady (loved Meryl's performance)
Midnight In Paris (fantastic screenplay, one of Woody's best)
My Week With Marilyn (film not as good as I thought it would be)
Warrior (this really surprised me, I don't like fighting/boxing/MMA but I was riveted)
Beginners (this one seemed boring to me)
Albert Nobbs (loved this and didn't think I would)
A Better Life (didn't finish it)

Mattrick
01-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Tree of Life (spoilers, do not read if you haven't seen)

This is a movie you can't really give a rating too. It's at times linear and at times totally not linear. At times it plays out like a drama and other it's totally abstract. I suppose on the first watch through I haven't fully understood this movie and how the abstraction plays with the reality and what it's really trying to stay. I can however comment on the story itself and the characters. Brad Pitt was fantastic in this movie. He plays a man of great envy. He feels shunned in a way by society. "The wrong people go hungry, die. The wrong people are loved. The world runs on trickery and if can't succeed if you're too good" he tells his kids. He feels as though he's slighted by everyone who does succeed, especially those through nefarious or underhanded means. He seems to be a man who is good and was good, an idealist to the end. But his envy of others and not having what they had turned him into a different man. And in this transition he loses sight of what he has that no one else ever could; his family.

As his father gets older he becomes more bitter. He takes it out on his family. He's not abusive but has a short temper, he demands the respect he can't get in the outside world. His first born son sees this in his father. He sees him as a hypocrite, a patsy and rather pathetic. He eventually hates him. He sees the way his father walks all over his mother. He sees his father for who he is. He wishes he could be younger again, when he saw his father as a hero, as a man who he could endlessly trust and love and respect. He envies his brothers to still have that mindset and perhaps they always will. Maybe his father hates him because he sees himself in him, or maybe his father just hates everything because of how much he hates himself. When he watches his younger brother play guitar while his father plays piano he pities his brother for not knowing the true and hates himself for wishing he was ignorant again. As he gets older his hatred for his father changes him, he starts to take it out on the world, on animals, on property. He's so angry and doesn't know how to channel it. While playing ball he sees another family fighting as his had and I think he may have felt more at ease by this, like he wasn't alone. We see him try to hug his father, even though he doesn't want to as if it would change him. We see a scene where he tells his brother to stick a wire into a lamp socket, his brother says he trusts him. Later on he tells his brother to put his finger over the barrel of a BB gun and he hurts him badly. He feels terrible about this. Soon after I believe is when he came to the realization he almost was his father. This leads to an incredibly great scene where, after essentially losing everything he managed to work for, his father tells him he's sorry - he wanted to prepare him for the world and maybe he was a little too tough on him. He then tells his father he's more like him than her (his mother).

When he's older he finds himself in a conrete jungle full of metal and glass. It reflects nature but it isn't nature. He's become his father at this point. He's got a successful job as an architect, a nice house full of nice furniture. He is a big man, the thing his father always wanted him to be. I think by this point he wished he could thank his father for showing him a way to succeed, that all the heartache he went through actually paid off for him. But did he do it because of his father or in spite of his father? He wants to go back I think, to his childhood so he can maybe show his father the respect he did deserve. Maybe he could have salvaged his relationship with his father if he'd been more open to it and realized his father was only trying to help him, even if it was in an inconventional way. All parents want their kids to not make the same mistakes they made, they want to see them successful. He felt he had to do it by pushing and pushing and having his kids learn the world is full of heartache and pain and doing things you don't want to do and listening to people that you have to listen to, that you have to fight society by working with the rules made by society to succeed. He wishes he could go back to nature and just revel in it and all the people he remembers from when the sky seemed so blue and the grass was so green and life was simple, they could throw a ball around for an entire afternoon. He's a man full of regret and hidden sorrow but I think that by the end of this movie he manages to find peace within himself. That nature exists in all things and so does life, life branches out like a tree from a single seed.

Shannon
01-27-2012, 05:21 PM
I enjoyed reading that St. Mattrick. The Tree Of Life was definitely a unique viewing experience, but I was not of the "wow, what a perfect film" mentality. Still glad to have seen it though :)

DoctorDodge
01-28-2012, 04:43 PM
La Cité des enfants perdus (The City of Lost Children)

Initial thoughts: I really enjoyed this. Like Delicatessen, it had a wonderfully bizarre mix of dark fairy tale, music and comedy, all done to a wondeful sense of style. The relationship between the two main characters One and Miette is something I really liked, too. 9/10

Jean
01-29-2012, 10:51 AM
bears are really really happy now

DoctorDodge
01-30-2012, 04:33 AM
But not surprised, I'm guessing: after all, the fairy tale look and uniqueness of the film was bound to appeal to me. Hell, my favourite show ever, despite having the dressings of science fiction, has always had its roots more in modern (if rather cheap looking) fairy tale, particularly in recent years.

As for the last film I watched:
Angel Heart

A little known detective/horror film that I stumbled across and really enjoyed. Very stylish, very well acted, with Mickey Rourke playing the classic detective figure as Harry Angel, who's been asked to search for a former singer Johnny Favorite by Louis Cypher, in a wonderfully creepy role by Robert DeNiro. It's mixture of film noir and dark horror, as well as it's genuinely serious treatment of both while still having a sense of humour, really made for fantastic viewing. A lot I'd read about it had remarked about the violence, but there's actually very little of it shown on screen, although you do see the bodies of those horrifically killed. Where the horror really comes from is its atmosphere, its imagery, and the constant sense of doom that Harry's heading towards. It's a film that becomes more disturbing for me the more I think about it. Definitely a film I'd enjoy watching again soon. 9/10

Still Servant
01-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Tree of Life (spoilers, do not read if you haven't seen)

When he's older he finds himself in a conrete jungle full of metal and glass. It reflects nature but it isn't nature. He's become his father at this point. He's got a successful job as an architect, a nice house full of nice furniture. He is a big man, the thing his father always wanted him to be. I think by this point he wished he could thank his father for showing him a way to succeed, that all the heartache he went through actually paid off for him. But did he do it because of his father or in spite of his father? He wants to go back I think, to his childhood so he can maybe show his father the respect he did deserve. Maybe he could have salvaged his relationship with his father if he'd been more open to it and realized his father was only trying to help him, even if it was in an inconventional way. All parents want their kids to not make the same mistakes they made, they want to see them successful. He felt he had to do it by pushing and pushing and having his kids learn the world is full of heartache and pain and doing things you don't want to do and listening to people that you have to listen to, that you have to fight society by working with the rules made by society to succeed. He wishes he could go back to nature and just revel in it and all the people he remembers from when the sky seemed so blue and the grass was so green and life was simple, they could throw a ball around for an entire afternoon. He's a man full of regret and hidden sorrow but I think that by the end of this movie he manages to find peace within himself. That nature exists in all things and so does life, life branches out like a tree from a single seed.

Nice review, Matt. Your review touches upon something I mentioned in my review. I think different viewers will identify with different characters. It seems like you identified with the father, whereas I identified more with the mother.

Also, when Sean Penn's character grows up, he seems to have everything like you said. I great house and a great job, but he's empty. He doesn't have what his father had and that is a family. His house is cold and lifeless. Even the way they shot his house was meant to portray this.

evilash
01-30-2012, 07:29 AM
I just saw The Grey and absolutely loved it! I don't want to spoil anything here but the trailers are selling a bit of a lie. The whole bare-fisted wolf fighting is a little misleading. It is a surprisingly emotional meditation on how we all face/deal with death. A wonderful film.

Still Servant
01-31-2012, 05:37 PM
The Artist is an amazing film and I will just leave it at that. I know there are a lot of people that have formed an opinion of The Artist just because it's a black and white silent film. That's unfair, but some people will never give it a shot and that's a shame.

I will be the first person to tell you that when I first heard about The Artist I quickly dismissed it as more pretentious filmmaking pandering to the Oscar voters. Since I fashion myself a film buff, it's somewhat of a requirement for me to see The Artist and I'm glad I did. I think in this very thread I mentioned I could never imagine myself sitting in a movie theater watching a silent film. This is mainly because it was something I had never done before. It's what almost everybody has never done before. If you would have told my 15 year old self I would be watching a silent movie in 15 years, he would have paused the VCR, laughed in your face and then resumed watching something like Tango & Cash.

I'm pretty sure I'm preaching to the choir here. I've been here for a while and I like to think that I know the tastes of many of the posters. What I'm trying to say is that most of the people here aren't your average movie goer and can appreciate a film like The Artist.

Heather19
01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm dying to see this one, And I just saw that it's playing here. Now I just need to convince someone to go see a silent film with me :orely:

fernandito
02-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Mattrick - great Tree of Life review, I'm glad to see it resonated so strongly with you.

Mike - I wasn't really big on silent films until a year or so ago, my exposure to them was limited to the Chaplin films I saw in High School, too young and too naive to really appreciate them. Then Heather convinced me to check out The Cabinet of Dr. Cagliari (thanks Heather :wub:) and I have to say that my admiration for them has blossomed exponentially since then. I plan to check out The Artist hopefully before the Oscars roll around.

Ricky
02-01-2012, 02:50 PM
I was in pretty much the same boat you were in, Mike. I thought (and still do to an extent?) that The Artist was a "Hey Academy, look how artsy we are being!" type film. Though, I pretty much thought the same of The King's Speech before I saw it last year and absolutely loved it. I guess one of the reasons I haven't been too excited by The Artist since I don't know too much about the plot, but I'm hoping that once I see it, I'll enjoy it.

Heather19
02-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Mattrick - great Tree of Life review, I'm glad to see it resonated so strongly with you.

Mike - I wasn't really big on silent films until a year or so ago, my exposure to them was limited to the Chaplin films I saw in High School, too young and too naive to really appreciate them. Then Heather convinced me to check out The Cabinet of Dr. Cagliari (thanks Heather :wub:) and I have to say that my admiration for them has blossomed exponentially since then. I plan to check out The Artist hopefully before the Oscars roll around.

You're welcome :huglove: I'm really glad you just gave it a chance. And even happier that you enjoyed it!

fernandito
02-01-2012, 03:01 PM

How are we on the Midnight in Paris front ? Have you checked that out yet ?

Heather19
02-01-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm going to watch it tonight! :D

Shannon
02-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Don't Be Afriad of The Dark - UUGGHHHH!!!!!

Dream House - BLLLLAAAGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Today's segment of "Professional Opinions Of Crap Movies" is brought to you by Spam.

Mattrick
02-02-2012, 10:05 PM
I actually watched Midnight in Paris again last night. It was great again.

Heather19
02-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Honestly, I felt a little let down by it. Maybe its just because I was expecting more.

fernandito
02-03-2012, 07:38 AM
It was decent, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. I wouldn't have included it in the nominations for BP this year, personally.

Jean
02-03-2012, 07:42 AM
bears will watch it NOW!! bears love some Woody Allen time to time

Heather19
02-03-2012, 09:00 AM
It was decent, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. I wouldn't have included it in the nominations for BP this year, personally.

I know we've already talked about this, but I agree.

And Jean I'll be curious what you think about it.

Jean
02-03-2012, 09:11 AM
now I am enjoying it immensely

Mattrick
02-03-2012, 09:53 AM
I think I enjoyed it so much because I can relate so much to Gil as a character; his idolization of a past era (I always feel as if I should have grew up in the 60's and 70's) as well his relationship with his fiance and her disapproving parents, the lack of confidence in his own voice to become a writer etc. It's probably my favourite movie I've seen this year, not the best but my favourite.

Ricky
02-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Just watched The Ides of March. It was...not good. I didn't have incredibly high expectations, but thought I'd at least enjoy it. There were just so many things wrong with it. If Clooney and Gosling had been replaced by 2 little known actors, the film would've gotten considerably less attention.

fernandito
02-03-2012, 12:27 PM
I wasn't enamored with it, but I thought it was decent enough. What didn't you like about it, Rick?

Agreed on the Clooney and Gosling thing though.

Ricky
02-03-2012, 12:49 PM
My main complaint was that it was boring. I didn't care or sympathize with any of the characters. They all seemed one-dimensional to me. I didn't think the script was anything special, either. It just seemed like the generic political thriller to me.

I really wanted to like it, but it just fell flat.

Shannon
02-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Uh oh. Don't say the B word (boring). It'll get people riled up.

"True films are supposed to be boring!"

"It's only good if I'm bored by it!"

"Boring is the new interesting!"

lol just kidding.

Ricky
02-03-2012, 05:58 PM
I said it!

I watch movies most of all to be entertained, and if a movie fails to do that, then, to me, it's not worth watching.

Laurar
02-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Into the Wild is always a good one to curl up and watch

Laurar
02-03-2012, 06:07 PM
And lets not forget the classic Tommy . Entertaining and a great piece of music.

Mattrick
02-03-2012, 10:56 PM
I've been wanting to watch Into The Wild again for a few years, such a great movie. I listen to the soundtrack through about once a week, it's fantastic as well. My friend knows how to play 'Rise' on a mandolin.

ICry4Oy
02-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Streamed "Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil" on Netflix last night. It was piss yourself funny!

Shannon
02-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Love Tyler Labine (the fat one). Always funny.

Heather19
02-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I really enjoyed that one as well.

I just saw The Artist today. Such a wonderful film! I'm not sure it'll appeal to everyone, but if you're into cinema I'd highly recommend it. It was very refreshing.

Also saw Rec 2. It was ok. I'm not entirely sure I like where they took the film though. And some of the characters were so annoying. The priest who refused to leave until the mission was finished, despite everyone around him dying! And those kids... What were they thinking! I wanted them all to die :lol:

Mattrick
02-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Well it makes sense That the priest wouldn't leave as he was the only one who knows what was at stake. Without the blood to make an antidote they would be essentially powerless to stop an outbreak if it happened. The other guys didn't really understand the ramifications, except Rosso, until later on into the movie. He was in it to save the world, I'd say that's so stern willed, selfless dedication.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwt6uvtP5ic
They are making 4 [rec] films and the next one is supposed to reveal much more of the plot. I love the plot to these movies, very original take on zombie horror. For me mostly I like the intensity of the movies, they're very gritty. Horror movies are one of those genres where I can accept weak characters and acting if it's well made and presented and original. Usually if a horror has good acting it should bne something special.

Ricky
02-05-2012, 08:04 AM
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Heather! I'm seeing it on the 25th.

Heather19
02-05-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Heather! I'm seeing it on the 25th.

I so hope you enjoy it! :D

Jean
02-06-2012, 02:21 AM
I was fascinated by Midnight in Paris, and the more I think of it, the more I love it. I got to watch it once again before I write something sensible.

Mattrick
02-06-2012, 12:48 PM
That, Jean, is why I watched it a second time less than a week after the first time. It's an excellent film.

Jean
02-07-2012, 03:26 AM
yes!

Shannon
02-07-2012, 06:13 AM
Chronicle
Shannon: 5
Amber: 5

Wow. Wowowowowowow. What a great movie. The special effects was a little little little hokey at times, but you don't pay much attention to it because the movie is so good. Any superhero/comic book fans out there, watch this today. Anyone a fan of fun movies? You too.

DoctorDodge
02-07-2012, 06:39 AM
Well you and everyone else know what my favourite tv series is Shannon, and the special effects in that can get, even now, very hokey, so dodgy effects shouldn't be a problem. I have been wanting to check this out, it does sound like a really different take on the superhero genre.

fernandito
02-07-2012, 12:47 PM
That's one of the films I'm most interested in checking out but I just haven't gotten around to it. I'm hoping to watch it in theaters sometime within the next week. Glad to see it being held in such high regard. I read an interview with the films director, Josh Trank, and how talks about how much of an influence his love of video games played in the finished product, so bonus points for being a fellow nerd. Can't wait to see it.

Ben Staad
02-26-2012, 10:45 AM
I finally watched "Apt Pupil" and thought it was fairly good. I need to re-read the story however (from memory) I thought it stuck close to the story. The acting from Gandolf and Todd Bowden was top notch and it was certainly disturbing. This will be a 3 out of 5 for me.

Randall Flagg
03-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Saw Project X last week. A laugh riot. I give it 5 beers on the Randall Flagg 6 pack rating system.

Shannon
03-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Isn't there supposed to be a sarcastic smiley in there somewhere? Why would you even entertain the idea of seeing Project X? Who are you!? lol

On another subject, Amber and I watched The Descendants tonight.. Just got done with it. I gave it a 5, Amber gave it a 4. A very emotional, heartfelt movie. A lot of people on the IMDB boards seem to think it was boring and horrible, I thought it was great. The movie had my full attention 100% of the time, and I thoroughly enjoyed every second. Watch it.

So, that brings our 2012 Oscar Movies total up to 5. Here is how we rate them (out of 5):

The Tree Of Life - Shannon: 3, Amber: Did Not Finish (lol)
The Help - Shannon: 4, Amber: 4
The Artist - Shannon: 3, Amber: 4
Hugo - Shannon: 4, Amber: 5
The Descendants - Shannon: 5, Amber: 4

We're catching up on all the Oscar movies. Should have done it BEFORE the Oscars, but fuck it, lol. What do we have left? Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close, Midnight In Paris, Moneyball, The Adventures Of TinTin, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. We have zero interest in seeing War Horse, Albert Noobs, My Week With Marilyn, The Iron Lady, A Better Life, or the Tinker Tailor movie.

pathoftheturtle
03-09-2012, 05:08 AM
Just caught Jennifer's Body on cable. First half I was thinking "slightly better than I expected." Second half, "even worse than I expected!" One thing, though -- J.K. Simmons: now upgraded in my book from Good Character Actor to Highly Talented Character Actor.

Randall Flagg
03-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Saw Silent House yesterday. 5 Beers on the Randall Flagg six pack rating system. Good concept, excellent execution. The "continuous shot" was fascinating.

Heather19
03-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Excellent! I've been wanting to see it, but haven't heard anything about it yet.

Jean
03-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Jerome, do you mean the original or the USA remake?

Randall Flagg
03-11-2012, 09:50 AM
The is the US remake of the Uruguayan thriller "La Casa Muda".

Jean
03-11-2012, 10:03 AM
I've only tried to watch the original - which was unwatchable. I think I will be looking for the American version.

fernandito
03-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Inside Man -

Denzel Washington shines (what else is new ?) as morally ambigious hostage negotiator Keith Frazier. Clive Owen is great as Dalton Russell, the criminal mastermind that always seems to be one step ahead of Frazier and the rest of the department. The logistics of the plot is a bit rough around the edges and potentially falls apart under intense scrutiny, but it's good enough for what it sets out to do - entertain you, and always keep you guessing as to what exactly is going on. The banter between Frazier and Russell is a treat to watch, as each tries to get the better of each other using mind games. Highly recommended.

7/10

frik
03-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Inside Man -

Love that movie!

sk

Shannon
03-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Ditto! I'm a sucker for heist movies with intelligent baddies.

mystima
03-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Saw John Carter today. Will give it 8/10. It was a good movie and was hoping they would end it like the written work but they took it in a different direction. There were a few scenes where you were laughing your butt off. By the way if I ever get transported to mars I hope i have a loyal calot named Woolie.

DoctorDodge
03-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Profondo Rosso (Deep Red)

Just finished watching the italian dub of this. Really enjoyed it. I really loved the buildup of suspense in a few moments, particularly to the first death. Also, the unusual angles that director Argento uses, including extreme closeups and low angles, were really well done. The deaths really went for making the audience wince, at the very least, as the gore never went too over the top and even went for pain the audience could relate to (one involving extremely hot water springs to mind). I also really enjoyed the mystery and how it was examined and developed throughout the film, with a number of clues and red herrings, as well as the occasional added moment of comedy involved. The resolution to the whole thing was also really well handled. I'm not sure the soundtrack always suited it, but I must admit, I really enjoyed that, too. A couple of minor criticisms - some of the characters seemed to make really stupid decisions, from time to time, and sometimes the plot moved a little too slowly, but otherwise, a really enjoyable horror/thriller. 8/10

Now a question for any Italians on this board: does anyone actually lock their doors over there? I'm just gonna guess that was a bit of artistic license on Argento's part! :lol:

Heather19
03-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Excellent! I still have that one to watch. So I take it you liked Argento then? I told you not to worry, that he wasn't that bad ;)

Jean
03-17-2012, 11:05 PM
bears are happy DD liked Argento! and yes, Heather :rose: - you got to watch this one, bears remember loving it. I'll go back to DD's review (regrettably short) after I've re-watched the movie.

frik
03-18-2012, 05:12 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsWUCEXFPDiXNi-Y0X1XC5mcAsbh5EpnxNb1MiKc-zGw2SPbnRIDxPXzMmzA

Highly recommended!

sk

Garrell
03-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Just finished watching "The Decendents", great movie. It did hit home way to close for me though. 3 years ago I was in the hospital (Queens Hospital) taking my mother off of life support. The ICU and counsel room in the movie were the ones I was in. I was there 3 weeks and stayed in the hospital "hotel". 2 1/2 weeks was spent waiting for the mortition to finish his job. I spent that time roaming Oahu on foot and with a samoian friend who showed me the north shore and many places my mother lived/went. Even the burial scene at sea was very close to the one I did for my mother. Glad I saw the movie, but boy did it stir up the events of 3 years ago.

Jean
03-18-2012, 11:47 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/W255Two-Bear-Cubs-Posters.jpg

DoctorDodge
03-19-2012, 02:54 AM
Excellent! I still have that one to watch. So I take it you liked Argento then? I told you not to worry, that he wasn't that bad ;)

It was still pretty bad, with the close ups of the gore, as well as how painful the death scenes were at time. They weren't quite extreme blood and guts level, which might have been the problem: the deaths felt realistic and therefore believeable.

I also found it to be a very tense and scary piece at times, mostly due to the effective use of camera angles. (Then again, I'd say the same of Robots of Death.)

fernandito
03-21-2012, 10:51 AM
East of Eden -

I'll start off by saying that the film is gorgeous. Kazan and his team effectively employ a mesmerizing combination of colors and lightning and sounds to properly convey the tone and mood he's going for. The score is also noteworthy, alternating between soothing and somber as the need arises.

The biggest blight for me is Dean himself. He's very hit or miss for me in this one. Maybe it's the acting approach that's endemic to that corner of time in cinema, but often times he's simply too over the top when a subtle gesture would have been exponentially more powerful; his mannerisms come of as forced. When he's on though, he's on - the heartbreaking scene between him and his father during the last birthday scene is amazing, you can actually feel his disappointment and anger and frustration as the realization of the rejection dawns on him.

Thematically, the film is as resounding as you could hope for. We can all identify with the struggle for acceptance (both self acceptance and that of our peers/loved ones), or our penchant for self destruction. All in all a very solid film.

7.5/10

Heather19
03-21-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! But I am still shocked that you weren't able to appreciate Dean's acting in it. I think he really shines here. He definitely has a distinct style, and for me it's always made him appear that much more realistic. You really never know what you're going to get from him. And I agree that birthday scene is amazing. From the way it's shot, to the performances, it's just so powerful.

fernandito
03-21-2012, 11:13 AM
I definitely appreciated the bits were he was brilliant, which makes the part where he was ... less than brilliant stand out more. It's like he wants to stand out so much in certain scenes that he throws everything and the kitchen sink at it when a reigned in approach would have been more appropriate, it's jarring.

On a side note, I definitely do think that he gets a pass on a lot of things simply because he's good looking, but that's a discussion for a different day :lol:

Heather19
03-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Well I really can't argue that point :lol:

I'd highly recommend watching the film James Dean (2001) . It stars James Franco as Dean, who is absolutely amazing in the role. It also follows the filming of East of Eden a bit. Gives you some backstory on him and how he works. I think you'd enjoy it :D

fernandito
03-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Oooh, that does sound interesting. Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it !

Ricky
03-21-2012, 12:59 PM
It stars James Franco as Dean

Your favorite! :lol:

Heather19
03-21-2012, 01:25 PM
It stars James Franco as Dean

Your favorite! :lol:

Yes, playing my favorite actor! Win win for me! :D

fernandito
03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
I wish he would have brought some of the charisma the time he hosted the Oscars because he was horrible.

I'm convinced that he smoked a J back stage before it started. No one can convince me otherwise ... the devil recognizes his own :lol:

Ricky
03-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Feev, do NOT speak ill of Franco where Heather is apt to see. And DEFINITELY do not mention the Franco shrine she has in her bedroom closet. That's just likely to embarrass her.

:rofl:

Heather19
03-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Shhh! Ricky! You were the only one that was supposed to know about that!

Xile
03-21-2012, 05:28 PM
War Horse: 6/10: Only rated this high because I fell asleep halfway through it. Might have missed something cool. I recall being distracted from the movie because watching my aloe plant grow was more exciting.

DoctorDodge
03-26-2012, 01:39 AM
Suspiria
This is one I've been meaning to check out for a while, hearing that it's something of an essential horror film to watch. Having just watched it last night, while it was almost too much for me in some places, overall I really enjoyed it.

Good, I've got it on my lovefilm list but it'll stay or go depending on how grim you thought it was, speaking as one gore wuss to another :lol:

Grim? No, not exactly. Some moments were nasty, brutal and a little difficult to watch, but also well done, and also there aren't that many gorey moments to begin with (although the tension to the first death scene was a little unbearable). Also, the death scenes were - like most of the film - beautifully lit, with bright colours of blue, green and pink. In fact, the high use of colour in general was what attracted me to the film, especially when in an interview, the director said he was partially inspired by Snow White - there surely can't be a more unlikely inspiration for a horror film than a Disney movie! :lol: And yet oddly enough, it fits: the film comes across equally as both modern day fairytale as well as dark horror.

Like Deep Red, this was another horror that I really enjoyed and wouldn't mind watching again. I think I'll keep an eye out for Inferno next. 9/10

Jean
03-26-2012, 02:28 AM
my only problem with Argento is soundrack. It is consistently atrocious, in all his films. I am afraid he is tone-deaf.

DoctorDodge
03-26-2012, 02:43 AM
If I'm really being honest Jean, I kinda liked that, too, even if it does have all the subtlety of a heavy metal solo at a funeral. Funky stuff. But it doesn't work especially well as soundtrack, designed to match specific pieces of the film, just music. (To my strange tastes, anyway.)

Jean
03-26-2012, 03:06 AM
even if it does have all the subtlety of a heavy metal solo at a funeral. yes, exactly. I don't mind this time to time, but not continuously.

DoctorDodge
03-26-2012, 03:34 AM
Actually, when it comes to how appropriate the music is, I'm suddenly reminded of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwyj3D13QhA

I think I'm long overdue for a re-watch of snuff box, actually!

Darkthoughts
03-26-2012, 03:51 AM
By "difficult to watch" what do you mean exactly? Because if I watch it and it freaks me out, I won't stop thinking about it for months!

DoctorDodge
03-26-2012, 03:56 AM
It's not up to Saw or Hostel levels of gore or torture, but there's a couple of really difficult to watch moments, namely:
a close up of a woman's heart being stabbed, and another really close up shot of a throat cut by a razor. There's a scene with a woman in barb wire, but thankfully, nothing in real close up, although it is a bit prolonged.

Jean
03-26-2012, 03:57 AM
By "difficult to watch" what do you mean exactly? Because if I watch it and it freaks me out, I won't stop thinking about it for months!this, I am afraid, is likely

Darkthoughts
03-26-2012, 04:04 AM
It's not up to Saw or Hostel levels of gore or torture, but there's a couple of really difficult to watch moments, namely:
a close up of a woman's heart being stabbed, and another really close up shot of a throat cut by a razor. There's a scene with a woman in barb wire, but thankfully, nothing in real close up, although it is a bit prolonged.
Bloody hell, if Saw and Hostel are worse I'm glad I've never been tempted to watch them :lol:

By "difficult to watch" what do you mean exactly? Because if I watch it and it freaks me out, I won't stop thinking about it for months!this, I am afraid, is likely
Eek. My imagination is seriously over active, it can be a real hazard as a horror fan. I'm much better dealing with the aftermath of books than movies which is why my overall horror movie list is pretty tame.

DoctorDodge
03-26-2012, 04:33 AM
Yeah, I wasn't sure how much gore I could stomach, so I watched it over a couple of nights, myself. I do enjoy horror though, but I do suspect that's to do with me being a Who fan: like you, I have a highly active imagination, which is good, considering it was the only way those cheesy effects in Tom Baker stories could scare me! :lol: Really I'm looking for anything that can give me those kind of fears back - fear of the dark, of monsters, of body horror. Watching a particular kind of adult horror is for me the best way of getting those fears back.

Heather19
03-26-2012, 09:23 AM
I think I'll keep an eye out for Inferno next. 9/10

Opera? :)

And I know I can stomach a lot of gore, but for some reason I don't recall this one having much at all? I remember thinking it was pretty tame :lol:

Jean
03-26-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm much better dealing with the aftermath of books than movies.bears are exactly the opposite

DoctorDodge
03-26-2012, 10:24 AM
I think I'll keep an eye out for Inferno next. 9/10

Opera? :)

And I know I can stomach a lot of gore, but for some reason I don't recall this one having much at all? I remember thinking it was pretty tame :lol:

Was it the r-rated or uncut version you watched? Because, as noted in the spoilers above, it was a little above Tom Baker level of violence! :lol:

Ricky
03-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Bloody hell, if Saw and Hostel are worse I'm glad I've never been tempted to watch them :lol:

Doooo itttt...dooo itttt...

Well, you can skip Hostel, but you must watch Saw!

DoctorDodge
03-26-2012, 04:19 PM
No, trust me, there's no way she'd be able to handle Saw, Ricky. They may not films that are gory for the sake of it, but they are still pretty fucking gory flicks, it has to be said.

Ricky
03-26-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm just messing with her. :)

alkanto
03-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Good God, I could never handle Saw..*shudders*

DoctorDodge
03-26-2012, 04:40 PM
It was always fun in high school to think of the sickest saw traps we could. For example:

"I wanna play a game...you've been giving people shit all your life. Now it's your turn to take it. An excrutiating poison is currently in your body. Across from you is a huge pile of shit. The antidote has been mixed in.

Eat shit or die: make your choice."

Fuck it, that's still fun to do when you're bored! :lol:

Ricky
03-26-2012, 04:43 PM
James. :rofl:

In AP English in high school, we had to do a fictionalized account of the characters in Shakespeare's As You Like It and Hamlet, and I did a screenplay of Rosalind and Hamlet in a Jigsaw trap. I still have it saved. :lol:

DoctorDodge
03-26-2012, 04:45 PM
:lol: Dude, that's awesome! Never read As You Like It in high school. MacBeth and Romeo and Juliet were the ones we studied. Read a manga version of Hamlet once, that was cool. Still, hard to think of that now without being reminded of Last Action Hero: "To be, or not to be? Not to be." BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Ricky
03-26-2012, 04:50 PM
I think we read the exact opposite plays. We read As You Like It, Hamlet...and I think that's it, unless you count the spin-off (not by Shakespeare) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, which wasn't too bad.

alkanto
03-26-2012, 05:12 PM
RE: This entire conversation... :wtf: I'm more than a bit concerned, frankly! :lol: it must be a guy thing....we never did anything like that in high school...

harrison ryan
03-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Watched Corman's World last night...a doc on Roger Corman. I give it a 9 out of 10. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Heather19
03-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Watched Corman's World last night...a doc on Roger Corman. I give it a 9 out of 10. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Sounds interesting, I'll have to look it up.

And I didn't think Saw was gory either :lol: Somewhat disturbing, yes, but not gory. And Hostel was so much tamer than what I was expecting. I almost didn't watch it cause I can't do torture too well, and thought it'd be over the top. But I thought it was pretty mild. Don't think I'd recommend it though as I didn't really care for it.

Jean
03-26-2012, 10:02 PM
In AP English in high school, we had to do a fictionalized account of the characters in Shakespeare's As You Like It and Hamlet, and I did a screenplay of Rosalind and Hamlet in a Jigsaw trap. I still have it saved. :lol:
Post it!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa: In my opinion, The Saw just isn't worth watching. It is very mediocre, and very pretentious. Hostel, on the other hand, is just an honest kind of bad-taste entertainment. I think it is a few notches above The Saw; not that I think you should watch either.

DoctorDodge
03-27-2012, 03:20 AM
For the serial killer genre, or even horrible death genre (even if mostly unseen), Messiah's gotta be my favourite. Less about the deaths and more about why's it done, I love stuff like that. Especially when the lead investigator is a no bullshit Scottish cop! :lol: First one was brilliant, but none of the others really matched up to it, naturally.

fernandito
03-27-2012, 07:20 AM
It was always fun in high school to think of the sickest saw traps we could. For example:

"I wanna play a game...you've been giving people shit all your life. Now it's your turn to take it. An excrutiating poison is currently in your body. Across from you is a huge pile of shit. The antidote has been mixed in.

Holy shit! (pun intended) That's a seriously fucked up way to trap somebody ... I love it.

And I have to admit, the Saw movies are a guilty pleasure of mine. Not great films by any means, but I love all of the creative ways the creators find to torture people.

DoctorDodge
03-27-2012, 07:38 AM

Holy shit! (pun intended) That's a seriously fucked up way to trap somebody ... I love it.

And I have to admit, the Saw movies are a guilty pleasure of mine. Not great films by any means, but I love all of the creative ways the creators find to torture people.

Indeed, I think that was their main appeal to a lot of fans (not all, Ricky, I'm aware of that). Same with why I enjoy the Final Destination movies, because of all the awesome death scenes (to a degree: 3 was pretty weak, and 4 had deaths so lazy that, in one of the greatest visual metaphors of a film's quality, one literally sucked arse, but 5 was great).

As for any other traps we could think of, I can't remember much, but I do distinctly remember a variation of the venus fly trap one from 2. Only the key wasn't in the guy's eye. It was considerably further down than that. And instead of a scalpel, it had to be done with a pair of bricks.

Yeah, we weren't exactly the most innocent school in Essex. :lol: (Actually, come to think of it, maybe we were! :scared:)

Mattrick
03-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Ican't believe it's been over a mont since I've watched a movie! Damn you Six Feet Under for being so good!

fernandito
03-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Gah, I need to get started on Six Feet Under again.

DoctorDodge
03-27-2012, 02:26 PM

True that, but at the moment, too distracted by A Game of Thrones and BSG!

Heather19
03-27-2012, 02:44 PM

Yes! Right after you finish Dead Like Me :D

DoctorDodge
03-27-2012, 03:16 PM
And he should watch Dead Like Me, right after watching Doctor Who. I did start watching Breaking Bad, remember? :P

Heather19
03-27-2012, 03:18 PM
As am I! And he promised me Dead Like Me :P

Ricky
03-27-2012, 03:20 PM
RE: This entire conversation... :wtf: I'm more than a bit concerned, frankly! :lol:

:rofl:

And I didn't think Saw was gory either :lol: Somewhat disturbing, yes, but not gory. And Hostel was so much tamer than what I was expecting. I almost didn't watch it cause I can't do torture too well, and thought it'd be over the top. But I thought it was pretty mild. Don't think I'd recommend it though as I didn't really care for it.

I think Saw would be gory or shocking to someone who isn't as exposed to the genre as we are. :lol:

And we watched some of Hostel in school last month and I thought it was pretty tame as well. Knowing Roth, I thought it would be torture torture torture, but I was suprised it wasn't. Still not a great movie, though.

Post it!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll look it over and see how bad it is first. :lol:

DoctorDodge
03-27-2012, 03:23 PM

Yes, but he agreed to watch Who ages ago, and let's be honest: as awesome and life-changing DLM was to me, Who IS the more awesome show. DLM was life changing, Who is my life.

And you can stop typing "I'd never have guessed" right now, Ricky! :P

fernandito
03-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Oh you motherfuckers :lol:

I'll get to them all ! eventually

I promise ! Who and Six Feet Under aren't available on instant play though so it makes it much, much harder for me to get a hold of them.

Heather19
03-27-2012, 03:28 PM

Yes, but he agreed to watch Who ages ago, and let's be honest: as awesome and life-changing DLM was to me, Who IS the more awesome show. DLM was life changing, Who is my life.

I love Who, but I'd choose Dead Like Me. Sorry :D

DoctorDodge
03-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Oh you motherfuckers :lol:

I'll get to them all ! eventually

I promise ! Who and Six Feet Under aren't available on instant play though so it makes it much, much harder for me to get a hold of them.

Have you checked again recently? I'm absolutely certain that Woofer said the most recent series at least are on instant watch.

I love Who, but I'd choose Dead Like Me. Sorry :D

And you're entitled to your opinion Heather.

Even if it's the wrong one. Come on, change it now! You know you wanna! ;)