Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 254 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 135 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes definately, i just hope that its done as well as TLOTR as imo they were pretty good to the books!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I voted "Yes' and agree with Pablo. It will raise awareness of the series and that can be nothing but good.

Besides, I really don't understand those that are adamantly against it. I mean the poor adaption of "The Shining", "The Stand" and "Salem's Lot" do absolutely NOTHING to detract from my enjoyment of the books. So nothing they do to The Dark Tower in Hollywood is going to do anything to detract from my enjoyment and inevitable annual re-reads of TDT and the other stories as well.

I did have an idea though that I posted in another thread. Wouldn't it be great if they optioned the Marvel property for the films instead of the books? Sort of a "No harm, No foul" rendition that might actually result in a serious attempt by Hollywood to create a first class franchise of the books as 7 movies. probably ain't gonna happen, but its nice to dream. LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

"From the writer of Batman and Robin...."

I can't see this ending too well.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

No. Most of the movies made of King's work are pretty bad and I don't have any hope of a decent one being made of The Dark Tower.

John

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Besides, I really don't understand those that are adamantly against it. I mean the poor adaption of "The Shining", "The Stand" and "Salem's Lot" do absolutely NOTHING to detract from my enjoyment of the books. So nothing they do to The Dark Tower in Hollywood is going to do anything to detract from my enjoyment and inevitable annual re-reads of TDT and the other stories as well.
    Exactly. I don't see what the objection is, especially if they find a team that's willing to ignore Stephen King's creative suggestions.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I love seeing movie adaptations of the books, I have read. Even if they suck. I have watched and liked every SK on film or tv and liked them all, with the possible exception of Kingdom Hospital. Kubrick's version of the Shining is one of my favorites, and it is one of those that detracts so far from the book that it is almost unrecognizable. My point is that I consider them seperate, and my like or dislike of one does not influence the other. And as far as what it makes other people do(i.e. will it attract more people to the books or not)...I'm sorry but Fuckem. I don't care what other people like and dislike.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes.

most king movies that sucked ass were either made for tv movies or low-budgeted. the ones that had a good cast and a bit of money put into them (shawshank, green mile, the shining, stand by me, IT, misery, 1408 )...they were all well received by the public, if not critically acclaimed. You get Ron Howard to do the film, that will at least guarantee some good money will be put into it, and a pretty decent director that wont cheese it up.

with today's technology, and CGI making everything so life-like....a movie (movies, let's hope) would definitely capture a lot of what happened in the books. You do this film twenty years ago and it would suck so much ass. i think it has a fighting chance

so i say yes
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

This is me personally, but honestly if I were doing The Dark Tower series as films, I couldn't conceive NOT doing a co-production of Insomnia, to connect the two as the books are connected. Those two need each other.

Last I heard, Rob Schmidt was supposed to do Insomnia, but that was announced almost three years ago with no new information since. I don't know if he's still going to do it, or if Ron Howard would try tackling that in addition to the DT series, or what....

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Yes!

Gunslinger Apprentice Hbgunslinger is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I'm in the middle with the adaptation to a movie from these books. I'm going with the guys/gals that said they'll watch the movie because of the hope it'll be good or atleast watchable.
    What scares me about this new development is the 3 movies and TV series part. The 3 movies really sounds like a bad idea hopefully IF this happens they'll lengthen it. The TV series part, well I think something exploded inside my head when I read that.
    On a side note- If it does get made into movies and while I'm watching it in the theatre there is some loud mouthed, inconsiderate, mouth breathing douche bag talking or doing anything disruptive, I will personally crush his skull with my bare hands.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I wonder how they're going to manage the ending. What'd be interesting would be if

Dark Tower ending spoilers

I don't know that they'll do either, but it'd certainly reflect the nature of the ending....

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    The medium of film would allow them to rewind through the movie over a couple minutes to the beginning, and then starting over.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Here Melikey and I disagree.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

John F. Kennedy C~Dog is on a distinguished road C~Dog's Avatar

You wouldn't need to replay the film. Just have a narrator of some kind issue the warning, then play out the ending as usual. And when it gets to the point where
    Spoiler:
    Roland returns to the Mohaine Desert, you just need to have a version of the first scene of the first film shot in which he has the Horn.

Sorry if this has been said already, I just read the last few comments >_>

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I do want an adaption; I want an adaption done by someone who is a fan of the book series. I can't speak for Ron Howard's directing skills. I've heard he apparently toned down some of the material in either The DaVinci Code or Angels and Demons. I would hope he doesn't do that with the DT...

Likewise I'm not sure I want the guy who wrote "Batman and Robin" to be writing the script. Bah, either way I'll be at the theater.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Apollo 13 is an excellent film, as was A Beautiful Mind. I also enjoyed Frost/Nixon and the two Dan Brown adaptations. Backdraft, Willow, Cocoon, Parenthood -- all good to very good.
    Yes, yes, yes! Right on, Bev. Also, Cinderella Man.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ron Howard is actually a very good and capable director. I wouldn't put him up there with the auteurs like Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, et al, but he's very very good. Let's look at his filmography, shall we?

He, of course, has the Dan Brown movies: The Da Vinci Code, and Angels & Demons. Haven't read the books (don't really plan to), but saw the film film, and while it was perhaps a tad overlong, I enjoyed it. The second is on my to watch list, and it may have just been moved up.

There is also some serious fare like Frost/Nixon, A Beautiful Mind, Cinderella Man, and The Missing. All of these from the last decade.

There were also some memorable ones in the 1990s, like Apollo 13, Ransom, and EDtv.

Going back another decade, there's, of course, Cocoon, one of my favorite 1980s movies.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Empath of the White View Post
    ... either way I'll be at the theater.
    Yar, me too. I'm voting "No," but I'm not that serious about it. Won't really bother me if and when one is made. I'm sure I would watch a dozen of them; probably even enjoy them on different levels. I just don't want to hear "Because you demanded it!" I am certainly not demanding it, and I know that that also goes for a lot of you other TDT and SK fans.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if they will not make it, because I demand it.

Strangely, I guess...as opposed as i am to a movie I've enjoyed EVERY SK movie I've seen on some level...even the ones most seem to not like.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Here Melikey and I disagree.
    You really won't watch it?

You had disagreed about ketchup on pizza passionately. Well, maybe you are not crazy for it but you don't hate it.

So how can you be sure you won't enjoy the movies?
    For me, to see Roland following man in black on big screen, as a more vivid picture than the one in my mind, is worth it.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I vote YES.

Why - because I tend to separate movie from written work and enjoy each for its own value, not as compared to the other. The books always outshine the cinematic release for great authors - no doubt, but if it means I get more Dark Tower/Stephen King enjoyment then I am all for it.

With King's legion of fan I doubt that an average/below par cinematic rendition will sway people from being King Fans.

If you do not care for King's tales being turned into cinematic releases (or tv movies or miniseries for that matter) then don't watch them and you won't be disappointed! Nor would I hope that you do feel obligated to watch, but with a preconceived notion of "how bad" a rendition it will be, just so that you can bash the movie after viewing it.

Take The Shining for example - twice now transferred from written word to movie magic; The first cinematic release - an awful retelling of Kings tale; but a great horror flick on it's own right; then take the miniseries; much more faithful to the written word, but mediocre at best as a made for TV miniseries. But I still enjoyed watching it none the less!

JMHO of course!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    ... to see Roland following man in black on big screen, as a more vivid picture than the one in my mind, is worth it.
    Unless they cast Henry Winkler as the Man in Black, and Chuck Norris as Roland, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    With King's legion of fan I doubt that an average/below par cinematic rendition will sway people from being King Fans.
    If this means that those legions can convince people no matter how hard Hollywood makes it, then I think you're forgetting that they are us. Personally, I'm embarrassed enough by some of the SK garbage on film already.

Gunslinger Apprentice dyetye is on a distinguished road dyetye's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Don't forget Splash, Parenthood and Backdraft...these were pretty good too

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

You're right. Also, he was the director on Willow!
    I think that A Beautiful Mind was an excellent film.
    I'm starting to feel more optimistic here.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    I vote YES.

Why - because I tend to separate movie from written work and enjoy each for its own value, not as compared to the other. The books always outshine the cinematic release for great authors - no doubt, but if it means I get more Dark Tower/Stephen King enjoyment then I am all for it.

If you do not care for King's tales being turned into cinematic releases (or tv movies or miniseries for that matter) then don't watch them and you won't be disappointed! Nor would I hope that you do feel obligated to watch, but with a preconceived notion of "how bad" a rendition it will be, just so that you can bash the movie after viewing it.

Take The Shining for example - twice now transferred from written word to movie magic; The first cinematic release - an awful retelling of Kings tale; but a great horror flick on it's own right; then take the miniseries; much more faithful to the written word, but mediocre at best as a made for TV miniseries. But I still enjoyed watching it none the less!

JMHO of course!
    Very well put CR. For those who adamantly disagree and don't want a movie adaption then, logically speaking, the Marvel comics must drive you equally nuts, no? I mean when you think about it, it's almost the same thing as a movie adaption. And while the majority of the storyline may be considered "new" they covered a significant amount of W&G in the first few ARC's of the story. It was, after all, Marvel' (and the artist/authors) interpetation of the tale in a visual form. Right? My bet is that most who are vehemently against a movie do not have the same vehemence with regard to the comics. Of course I could be wrong. It is after all just MHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 254 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 135 ... LastLast