Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Dispensation of your collection upon your demise?

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

"I remember that during dt.net times, Kenny (Dolan) also mentioned that he saw two copies on a collection that used to be in one of the twin towers."

Not discounting what you're saying or what Kenny is saying or what he saw, but doesn't that sound like a story? Like ... I know a friend who has a great grandfather who was making eye contact with Kennedy when he was shot ...

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Kenny/Dolan is an extensive book collector in his own right, at a much wider scope than probably most of us here. He has lived in New York for a very long time. Some collectors keep their collections at in their office at work - For example, David/wizardsrainbow made no secret that he used to keep his book collection in his office in New York. If Kenny says he saw something involving rare books, I believe it. I also consider Ari to be reliable, but perhaps Kenny will stop by to confirm or deny this particular story first hand.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I see. Very interesting.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Hi guys -

First off - Patrick, thanks so much for your exceptionally kind words. You've always been so kind -- thank you.

As for the story: many years ago when I first landed my little feet in Manhattan, I would go to the local rare book section of The Strand (which still exists) on East 12th Street in Manhattan. Through my many visits there, I met a man who would walk in and just look for Stephen King books. One day we got to talking and he invited me over to his apartment to see his book collection. I politely declined the first time (this is New York City, after all) but I then saw him again at a book signing and I took him up on his offer.

The books were not kept in the World Trade Center but rather his high rise apartment in Manhattan. Upon entry of his place, it was clearly (even at that time) a very modern apartment. He had his books in a separate room that, according to him, had separate air conditioning vents installed to keep the temperature of the room and the flow of air to a comfortable medium for the books. He also had some type of (forgive the word choice) sticker of some kind that covered the entire length of his windows. He said that even direct sunlight wouldn't age the book pages because of the protectors in the "sticker." So while the World Trade Center wouldn't have been unreasonable because, like Patrick said, I've made a few trips to the lovely David's old office to view his amazing collection, these books were stored at his home.

Where the confusion may lie is that, I remember, a short time later, there was a pretty destructive fire in the building that he lived in. Now... my memory gets fuzzy (I drink a lot ha!), but from what I remember, the fire was close enough to his floor for me to be very concerned. However, I cannot, as I write this, confirm that his books were damaged. Though if if the fire were as close as I remember, there is a strong possibility.

His collection was vast but he had quite an extensive King Collection. I remember being amazed that he had not one but TWO Lettered Firestarters. At the time, for a young collector like me, that was the Holy Grail of collecting. This was at a time I think the book was being quoted for sale in the high $20-30k. He let me hold the book, etc (honestly nothing terribly special), but it was a fascinating visit with a very nice nice man.

I never did see him again after that which certainly didn't help my theory that the fire was in his apartment -- but I've been looking for some articles online and can't seem to find anything. If I do, I will post and get back to you guys. For now, let's say the books are okay. However... this is a very destructive planet. Earthquakes, fires, floods, people pass away and a collection is left to unaware family members... etc. So the reality that a book print run that was once 26 could currently, possibly, be 23... or 20... is a very real reality.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Fascinating. Thanks Kenny. Good to see you posting.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very, very interesting, Kenny! Thanks.

John

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Great to see you here, Kenny! Post more often!

Thanks for sharing the story with those haven't heard it, and refreshing the memories of those of us who heard it long ago.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, my memory played a small trick on me.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Kenny Thank you for the info. Just what year are you talking about when you saw the two books? I am not aware of any of the Firestarters selling for 20k or 30k I know Betts & EBAY have been trying to sell letter M for guite a while for around 20k with no takers.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the story Dolan, I always like hearing stories. Two Lettered Firestarters. Whew. OK, new plan of action for my collection .. I'm going to save up money, and not buy anything but Lettered Firestarters. That way, in my mind, I'll win.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That is an interesting story!!!

When I die, "Ricky" gets my TMSG!!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Thanks guys - and no apologies at all, Ari. High rise, fire, etc... easy to mistake. I wish I knew his name... we are talking 2000-2001 and sadly my memory doesn't reach (at times) as far back as Friday night! Ha!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah. I guess I'm getting old.

Thanks for the clarification!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    Thanks guys - and no apologies at all, Ari. High rise, fire, etc... easy to mistake. I wish I knew his name... we are talking 2000-2001 and sadly my memory doesn't reach (at times) as far back as Friday night! Ha!
    And Kenny and Ari...I remember fondly the times we met in NYC....ahhh, those were the days when I had a GREAT paying job and the King world was my oyster....miss those times.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    And Kenny and Ari...I remember fondly the times we met in NYC....ahhh, those were the days when I had a GREAT paying job and the King world was my oyster....miss those times.

I hear ya, Brutha!!!! Those were the days!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Put it in you will!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Put it in you will!
    It is!!! However, you gotta lose the current avatar and replace it with something a little more "King-related"!!! LOL What can I say? It's a "condition". LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I always remember about meeting you and other dt members in both my trips. I really can't wait to take a flight to USA again.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Several good "stories" in this thread. If you haven't read through it, I suggest you do so.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very cool stuff...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So, who is bequeathing their collection to me?

Spoiler:
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This thread should be renamed ' Serendipity ' as it seems people only come across it when they are actually thinking about what to do with their collection if they should pass (in case anyone is worried - I'm fine ).
    I have decided to go with a letter hidden between the books. It would probably start off with an apology to my wife for all the money I have spent and listing specific items that should be sold to pay off the credit card debt which may or may not still exist!

I will include emails and contact numbers of at least 3 DT Members with instructions to contact them as to specific books and their values. Above all I will try to explain that some of the books (especially some of the paperbacks) are worth considerably more than I have lead her to believe!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Since I have no wife, no kids, and my dogs don't read.... I'm leaving one leather bound limited edition to each dog as a chew toy...
    the rest of my collection... planning to leave to the last person I have sex with.

It's been a while... so if there are any takers, speak up. You never know... you may be the "lucky" winner.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

btw... I don't mind wearing a george clooney mask.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

or a jennifer aniston mask - whatever works for you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast