Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Halloween Horror-thon 2015

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Halloween Horror-thon 2015

I can't believe it, but it's that time of year again. I love horror movies all year, but especially during Halloween season.

What's everyone planning on watching this month? Anything in the theater? Old favorites?

Here's last year's thread: Halloween Horror-thon 2014
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

In it's 40th anniversary year!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Rewatching most of the Walking Dead. Will be seeing Crimson Peak in theatres too. Have Oculus here to watch. I'll probably end up watching Berbian Sound Studio and re-watching The Babadook and Pontypool.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I the only one who watched the U.K. film Berberian Sound Studio the 1st time with the English subtitles OFF (assuming WE the WATCHER like Gilderoy did not understand Itialian..so we are also in the dark as to what was being said by his co-workers?)

Spoiler:
    IT NEEDS THE SUBTITLES!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

They're playing Psycho and Dracula in the theater this year. I'm pretty sure we went to see Psycho a year or two ago, so we're pass on that on but definitely going to see Draculas on the big screen. Also I want to watch all my usuals like Halloween and The Shining. I'll probably rewatch The Babadook too since netflix is still streaming it.

Oh and I too am also really looking forward to Crimson Peak.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm looking forward to Crimson Peak too. I noticed that now the teasers/marketing stuff have the subtitle "A Gothic Romance." I'm hoping it doesn't skimp on the horror.

It's been on my list forever, but I finally watched The Babadook last night. I really enjoyed it. I'm wondering
    Spoiler:
    where the book came from, though. At first I was thinking it could've been just in Amelia's mind, but Samuel saw/read it too.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

For a unique experience. (if you own the 1931 DRACULA Blu-Ray) Play the French version with English subtitles...This version has a full orchestrated score. (The original only has Swan Lake under the titles)

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Was I the only one who thought the babadook was a terrible movie?

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

...maybe?
    Compared to what we typically get in the horror genre this was seen as a breath of fresh air. I thought it was a tad over hyped, but far from "terrible".

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    I thought it was a masterpiece of horror and storytelling. It jettisoned into my top five horror films very quickly.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I really liked the Babadook.

There was a Friday the 13th marathon last week that I watched. Also watched the new Poltergeist and The Visit. Hoping to see Crimson Peak, Goosebumps, and A Place In Hell (my friend's movie that is finally playing in Philly - http://piff.ticketmob.com/event.cfm?cart&id=116338).
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Of course, a must see, "Halloween: The Original" film masterpiece!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Of course not, but I'd be willing to bet that you're in the minority. Everybody that I've talked to that hated it despised it because of the boy.

Ricky, that's a good question regarding the book. I doubt we will get a sequel, but it would be interesting to explore that.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

I was on the IMDB boards for it the other day and someone brought up a really good point that I didn't really pay much attention to the first time.
    Spoiler:
    Amelia could've written/made the book herself. Her hands are covered with black when she goes to the police station (of course that could be from burning the book, but then why would her hands be covered in the stuff?), and her sister also mentions that she used to be a children's writer. The writer part was what got me. Now I find it very easy to believe that the book was something she worked on in a kind of fugue state, putting her subconscious thoughts to paper.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Of course not, but I'd be willing to bet that you're in the minority. Everybody that I've talked to that hated it despised it because of the boy.

Ricky, that's a good question regarding the book. I doubt we will get a sequel, but it would be interesting to explore that.
    I always just assumed that the kid made the book. Considering all the contraptions he made I think he could make a book. I guess it all depends on how you interpret the movie [spoiler]If The Babadook was real then it made the book. If it was just a psychosis then the kid made the book. There are some hints to the boy having made the book in the opening minutes, from the quick shot of all the bugs encased in glass which could have inspired the unique look of The Babadook, followed by the magician poster asking if 'Do Spirits Come Back?', immediately followed by the son wearing a magician hat, which is a lot like The Babadooks hat.

Country
    Country Flag

Watched Insidious: Chapter 3 last night. I missed it when it was in theaters. I enjoyed it, but was disappointed that it was pretty dependent on jump scares. The first two (especially the first) had a much creepier vibe. I do like that 3 focused on Elise, though, and was surprisingly poignant at times.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

So, I'm always super behind on newer movies. The most recent scary film I saw was The Grudge, seriously. With that said, I plan to catch up on some scary movies this year. First on my list is Insidious because my sister keeps pressuring me to watch it.

Come on guys- gimme some suggestions for what is a must-see horror flick from the past 10 years. I like scary, I can tolerate gore, but I don't want disturbing. If it involves psychotic people torturing others, leave it off the list. I want scary!
    Bring it on.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

28 Days Later.. and then 28 Weeks Later last night... MAN forgot how well done they are!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    So, I'm always super behind on newer movies. The most recent scary film I saw was The Grudge, seriously. With that said, I plan to catch up on some scary movies this year. First on my list is Insidious because my sister keeps pressuring me to watch it.

Come on guys- gimme some suggestions for what is a must-see horror flick from the past 10 years. I like scary, I can tolerate gore, but I don't want disturbing. If it involves psychotic people torturing others, leave it off the list. I want scary!
    Bring it on.
    I really liked "The Conjuring", very few movies frighten me, but this one did.

I know a lot of people probably didn't like it, but I also liked "Cloverfield".

Mike
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post

Bring it on.
    For very recent I would highly suggest both The Babadook and It Follows. I'd also highly, highly recommend Ils (Them).

Others to add to your list:
    The Conjuring
    Let The Right One In
    28 Days Later
    Dark Water (original, not the US remake)
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    The Descent
    Paranormal Activity - I might be in the minority, but this one seriously freaked me out

I'll stop there for now
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I feel like I'd do better with a "recent horror movies to avoid" list.

I'll second Ils, though. And definitely Insidious. And I really liked Annabelle (better than The Conjuring).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

DOUBLE BILL.....

The bigger the screen & The DARKER the room the better.

A Fun spin on Night of the Living Dead.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Babadook =Meh.

Rewatching all the Saw movies, number four is tonight. I forgot how tame the first one is compared to the rest.

I'm missing SAW VI (The Hunt is ON)
    Spoiler:
    Just bought the Blu-Ray for 1 cent + $3.99 shipping = $4.00 (I HATE THOSE GAPS)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Saturday night on Starz.....

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast