Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 254 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 86 136 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Comic books?! Man! Who cares?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Comic books?! Man! Who cares?
    "There you go again Moriarty, making with the negative vibes"!!!

Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice JRM is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I would love to see all of King's books adapted into films.

But done with love.

I loved The Mist far more than the novella.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    I would love to see all of King's books adapted into films.

But done with love.

I loved The Mist far more than the novella.
    Me too!!! I loved "The Mist". Especially the Marcia Gay Harden character. Very King-ish!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler tipp-ed off is on a distinguished road

I would love a DT adaptation on the big screen but I fear that it will be very difficult to pull off. I'm not saying that it will ever take away from my enjoyment of the series but I know quite a few people that dislike reading. If a mediocre film adaptation of one of the greatest literary works ever written is all they get to experience, I feel the true story is lost for them.
    I remember telling my friends over and over to read the Hitchhiker's guide. They're not avid readers and never got around to it. Then the movie was released and we all were excited to see it after I spoke so highly of the series. We left the theater and they're like " you like that?..it was stupid". The same thing happened with the Lord of the Rings but it was such an awesome adaptation and everyone liked it so much that afterward they asked to borrow the Hobbit and Children of Hurin from me.
    I just want the Dark Tower done right so everyone can enjoy it as much as me

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Here Melikey and I disagree.
    You really won't watch it?

You had disagreed about ketchup on pizza passionately. Well, maybe you are not crazy for it but you don't hate it.

So how can you be sure you won't enjoy the movies?
    For me, to see Roland following man in black on big screen, as a more vivid picture than the one in my mind, is worth it.
    I can't say for certain I won't watch it, but I'm really not interested in seeing it done. Maybe I'll be wrong about it. Anyhow, I'll watch it when you come watch it with me.

I seriously doubt any movie...no matter how good...can make it more vivid for me.

I did like the ketchup on pizza though.

Bob, I've been bashing the idea of a DT movie forever. It may even be that I watch the movie and like it. I still won't like the idea of it though. I am a curmudgeon...always have been.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Curmudgeon..........I'm unfamilar with this word, could it meeeeaaaan.......

Spoiler:
    Stubborn Ass???
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think that A Beautiful Mind was an excellent film.
    so do bears

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I think that A Beautiful Mind was an excellent film.
    so do bears
    However, Bears do shit in the woods so how do we assess their theatric review capabilities accurately?

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

in part...yes

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

We still agree on this question, Brice.

I'll tell you why I don't believe in it. Many people come with the LoTR movies. There are two very big differences between DT and LotR:
    1. DT contains 7 books. Seven. And not short ones... how can you give back anything from the story if you leave out 80% of it? For me it looks way too impossible.
    2. LotR has a clear view. I mean... it's so... LoTR is like a Michelangelo painting. DT is like a Van Gogh painting. DT is good because it's very confusing and it's full of questions and black holes. It's not clear at all. Where can you grab it? How can you give back the story? It's not full of oh-so-well-described fantasy creatures. What makes the Dark Tower books so incredibly good is nothing you can give back with pictures or well-designed costumes.

DT and LotR are way too different so the fact that LotR got to be a good movie doesn't ease my heart.

Roland would have understood.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    We still agree on this question, Brice.

I'll tell you why I don't believe in it. Many people come with the LoTR movies. There are two very big differences between DT and LotR:
    1. DT contains 7 books. Seven. And not short ones... how can you give back anything from the story if you leave out 80% of it? For me it looks way too impossible.
    2. LotR has a clear view. I mean... it's so... LoTR is like a Michelangelo painting. DT is like a Van Gogh painting. DT is good because it's very confusing and it's full of questions and black holes. It's not clear at all. Where can you grab it? How can you give back the story? It's not full of oh-so-well-described fantasy creatures. What makes the Dark Tower books so incredibly good is nothing you can give back with pictures or well-designed costumes.

DT and LotR are way too different so the fact that LotR got to be a good movie doesn't ease my heart.
    You make some pretty darned good points there M'am!!!! LoTR is more a linear tale as opposed to The Dark Tower and therefore, would translate better to the medium of film.

I still think, even though I will support R. Howard's efforts, that the "Lost" boys could of pulled it off with their style, but alas it seems it shall never be.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

hmmm... how can I say this?

NO
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Letti, you have said a mouthful.

ETA: I also believe as Jean does re: a movie version helping to elevate King. No, they're going to booger up the movies and it won't do any good for King or The Dark Tower.

Even if someone wanted to do it justice, s/he would have an incredibly difficult time doing so. Aside from the sheer magnitude of the books themselves, there is the spirit of the saga to consider. One wrong actor in a key role could change the entire timbre of a scene. Anyone who has ever dipped into the "who would you cast" thread is all too aware of just how easy that would be. One of the reasons that LotR succeeded was that Jackson attempted to stay true to the heart of Tolkien's story even if he fucked that up once in a while. I have a couple of very large bones to pick with him over it, but I think he did well on the whole but not in every aspect.

H2G2 is the same way but with a big fat FAIL. Mos Def was the most wrong choice for a character described in the detail that Ford was described. Mos Def was also goofy. Ford Prefect was not goofy - he was the ultimate froody dude (no offense, Zaphod). Lemon helmet? No visible second head or third arm which Zaphod had added specifically to assist him in the sport of ski boxing? WTF? I will, however, give them credit for casting the always brilliant Bill Nighy as Slarty Bartfast.

The fact that TPTB are already discussing how ripe King's universe is for massive marketing tie-ins assures me that we will get a substandard product designed, for the most part, to sell little Roland action figures.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Letti, you have said a mouthful...
    AGREED!
    And another mouthful was said right here --
    Quote Originally Posted by tipp-ed off View Post
    I would love a DT adaptation on the big screen but I fear that it will be very difficult to pull off. I'm not saying that it will ever take away from my enjoyment of the series but I know quite a few people that dislike reading. If a mediocre film adaptation of one of the greatest literary works ever written is all they get to experience, I feel the true story is lost for them.
    I remember telling my friends over and over to read the Hitchhiker's guide. They're not avid readers and never got around to it. Then the movie was released and we all were excited to see it after I spoke so highly of the series. We left the theater and they're like " you like that?..it was stupid". The same thing happened with the Lord of the Rings but it was such an awesome adaptation and everyone liked it so much that afterward they asked to borrow the Hobbit and Children of Hurin from me.
    I just want the Dark Tower done right so everyone can enjoy it as much as me
    Sums up the basic conundrum quite well, I think.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Clearly, that's another point in their favor; shows that they're smart enough to keep from being cooped up in stupid little rooms on unnatural porcelain devices.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Clearly, that's another point in their favor; shows that they're smart enough to keep from being cooped up in stupid little rooms on unnatural porcelain devices.
    Best toilet descritption I have ever read. :smiles widely:

Roland would have understood.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

That's why everyone should just mind meld with my brain and watch my version. I assure you that it rocks socks from a lox!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps you have had a different opinion of said "Unnatural Porcelain Devices" in the past whilst kneeling before them on many a late Saturday night?

LOL

Of course while Bears do defecate in the woods, they rarely have been known to frequent Pubs on Saturday night!!! Caves and cabins, yes. Pubs? Sadly no! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Of course while Bears do defecate in the woods, they rarely have been known to frequent Pubs on Saturday night!!! Caves and cabins, yes. Pubs? Sadly no! LOL
    Oh, I dunno. I've heard and read of many instances of bears wandering into town and sometimes into trouble. Although probably not pubs, but I'm sure they've wandered in the odd opened door...

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I am and have always been opposed to a DT movie/tv series/play/or even a group of people acting it out at home without my knowledge.
    Agreed. I just don't believe it can be done justice.

Worse still. I'll have to see it/them. *wolfsigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    If I had the chance to interview the screenwriter, hypothetically, are there any questions you'd like me to ask him?
    1. Why the decision to break the saga into three movies and a TV show?
    2. What books or elements will the movies cover?
    3. How long do you anticipate the TV show will require to complete the saga?
    4. Will you swear not to change or blend characters a la The Stand?
    5. Milk, semi, or dark chocolate?

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Milk, semi, or dark chocolate?
    And would his response sway your opinion at all?
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    If I had the chance to interview the screenwriter, hypothetically, are there any questions you'd like me to ask him?
    My questions:

What is your home address....ya' know, just in case you screw it up? AND
    Would you like to name a next of kin?

J/K, of course

Seriously: Who are your five favorite directors of all time?

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Letti, you have said a mouthful.

ETA: I also believe as Jean does re: a movie version helping to elevate King. No, they're going to booger up the movies and it won't do any good for King or The Dark Tower.

Even if someone wanted to do it justice, s/he would have an incredibly difficult time doing so. Aside from the sheer magnitude of the books themselves, there is the spirit of the saga to consider. One wrong actor in a key role could change the entire timbre of a scene. Anyone who has ever dipped into the "who would you cast" thread is all too aware of just how easy that would be. One of the reasons that LotR succeeded was that Jackson attempted to stay true to the heart of Tolkien's story even if he fucked that up once in a while. I have a couple of very large bones to pick with him over it, but I think he did well on the whole but not in every aspect.

H2G2 is the same way but with a big fat FAIL. Mos Def was the most wrong choice for a character described in the detail that Ford was described. Mos Def was also goofy. Ford Prefect was not goofy - he was the ultimate froody dude (no offense, Zaphod). Lemon helmet? No visible second head or third arm which Zaphod had added specifically to assist him in the sport of ski boxing? WTF? I will, however, give them credit for casting the always brilliant Bill Nighy as Slarty Bartfast.

The fact that TPTB are already discussing how ripe King's universe is for massive marketing tie-ins assures me that we will get a substandard product designed, for the most part, to sell little Roland action figures.
    While I don't want the movie, I DO want the action figures.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

How closely will this project parallel the plotline of the novels? Planning any big changes?

(The answer that *I* would hope for is YES.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 254 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 86 136 ... LastLast